Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Dartho Annin An-uir: Be With Me Always
on: December 23, 2003 03:02
It started raining, and soon it was pouring like a dense curtain of water. Ohtar could barely see the road in front. He looked over his shoulder, but Ivorcheneb lined up with him before Ohtar even started looking for him.

"I believe we have to stop and wait. Your men might not find us in this storm," Ohtar had to raise his voice to make his words heard.

"I know a cave nearby, at least I think it is nearby. I'm not sure about anything now," Ivorcheneb yelled back. Ohtar nodded. "OK, then let's go there. Lead the way!" an extremely strong gust of wind almost blew him out of the saddle. Ohtar shook his head in amazement and followed the elf. Had anyone noticed? The a thought struck his mind. Was Cirya allright? H etried to see her, but the rain was too dense. He had to wait until he got to the cave to make sure she was safe. He hoped there was somebody to take an extra look at her, just in case...

Ohtar had no idea how Ivorcheneb managed to find his way. They left the road and rode through small bushes. The horses were missing a step time after time, and all the group was riding close to each other not to get lost in the storm. The mighty drums of thunder were coming closer. Suddenly a dark shape appeared in front of them. A cliff!

"Wait here!" Ivorcheneb cried and disappeared in the rain. Ohtar rode along the line of the group to count the people. It looked like everybody was there, except for the beautiful elleth and two of Ivorcheneb's men. He sighed relieved. It would make the mission very difficult to start losing members of the group on the way to the fight. Ohtar looked for Cirya. He wanted to make sure she was OK. At first he couldn't find her, then he saw her sitting on her horse, calm and proud, with her back straight and her chin up. He smiled. He was just about to turn back when another blindingly bright lightning pierced the sky and struck a tree nearby. The mighty trunk seemed to explode, the horses reared neighing wildly, several of them fell down bringing their riders with them, others threw them down. Ohtar's own steed almost flattened him, if the man hadn't been quick enough to get out of the way. It was an incredible mess. Horses neighed and moved around frantically, men and elves were screaming. Ohtar grabbed the reigns of his mount in an iron grip and gently stoke his nose, making the horse calm down. He noticed that Fae was the only one to remain on the back of his mount. Ohtar raised his eyebrows in amazement and respect, then his sight dashed further. Cirya was nowhere to be seen. Cirya!!! he rushed in the very middle of raging horses, men and elves. He found her on the ground, a little dizzy because of the stones she had fallen on and hit her head. A wild neighing was heard above, and two horses came down on her. Ohtar leaped forward and grabbed the reigns of both animals. It took him all the strength of his arms to tame the horses, and he had always been known to be one of the strongest men in King Elendil's army. Then he let the horses go, took Cirya on his arms and bought her out. Laying her down on the grass, he took her face in both of his hands and looked in her eyes.

"Cirya? Are you allright?" if he had the time to think he would have wondered why should he worry so much. She just nodded and then lifted her hand to her head.

"Ouch!"

Ohtar smiled with relief. "Ok, then I'll go back to see my men." With that he stood up and went away.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 04:14
A white flash of lightning seared the sky and a nearby tree shattered. Mithfaer neighed and reared in terror. Only Faevathor's expert horsemanship and knowledge of his mount kept the Elf on his back. Once the stallion had all four feet back on the ground, Fae quickly dismounted, went to his horse's head and began calming him. When that had been accomplished, Fae turned his eyes on his companions. Although the heavy rain interfered some with his keen elven sight, he could see the confusion the strike had caused in ALL - horses, men, and elves alike.

He watched in amazement as Ohtar grappled with two frightened steeds and bent to check someone on the ground. Seemingly, his human friend had a great deal of strength, and Faevathor smiled to himself at the thought.

Another loud rumble of thunder brought Fae's attention back to Mithfaer as the horse tried to bolt. Fae then prayed to Eru that Ivor could find that cave! They needed to get out of this storm. His dark hair plastered to his back and shoulders from the pelting rain, Fae concentrated on keeping Mithfaer calm and waited for Ivor's return. And then, he wondered. How in Eru's name would Súl and Fara find them again? And...would they indeed find Saida? Fae bit his lip and cast his eyes at the dark sky above. "Ai, Eru!" he whispered.

The rain fell so heavily that Aervon could barely see the tail of the horse in front of him. It didn't help that his horse kept slipping in the mud, nearly unseating him several times. When the group suddenly halted, he nearly ran into the man he had been following.

Aervon DID finally lose his seat when his horse reacted to the sound of the tree splintering from the lightning. Only the fact that he was NOT the only man (or elf) to be thrown mollified him.

He grabbed his horse's reins and started calming the beast. Suddenly, Aervon saw Ohtar approach out of the wet darkness. "Captain Ivorcheneb is looking for a cave where we can take shelter," the Edain leader yelled. Aervon nodded, as did several of the other men. As thunder crackled in the sky above, the man shivered at another cold blast of wind and waited anxiously.

[Edited on 23/12/2003 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 12:23
Ivor struggled through the driving rain, straining his Elven eyes for the entrance to the cave that he knew should be there. Suddenly a dark void loomed barely 10 paces ahead. “Sí!! {here!}” he shouted at the top of his lungs. “Cenin i ‘athrod {I see the cave!}!!

He turned and waited, hearing the company make their way toward his shouts. Thankfully, a great flash of lightening allowed a brief view of where he waited, then all returned to darkness. Thunder boomed above, shaking the ground beneath their feet, and the rain continued relentlessly. The wind began to pick up it’s furious force just as the soaked company—men, Elves, and horses alike—moved into the shelter.

After making their way through the small entrance—an archway no wider than half the height of any of the men—it widened into a great hall. The ceiling was hidden in profound darkness, but they could tell by the echoing sounds of their movements that it loomed high above. The floor of the great cavern was littered about with the remnants of brush which had either been washed in by flood long-past, or dragged in by animals which had used the place for shelter. Taking advantage of this several of the troops began to gather wood to make fires.

As the small sparks were lit in the darkness, the walls began to sparkle beautifully in the fire-light. It created a beautiful and wondrous site as the flame-light danced off of the great stalactites and shadows played upon the uneven surfaces. Another huge crash of thunder sounded, causing several members of the gathered company to jump in reaction to its suddenness.

The Elven Captain stood near the entrance of the shelter, looking out into the storm. His face was stony and emotionless, but he could not hide the look of concern and fear he wore in his crystal-blue eyes. His dear friends were out there…searching for the elleth he loved, and he could not relax until they rested quietly beside his fire. Determinedly, he turned and quietly made his way to Celeg, taking up the horse’s reigns.

Instantly, Gon Ohtar was by his side. He placed his hand upon the ellon’s shoulder and lowered his voice so that no other could hear. “I understand what you feel…” he said, his voice full of knowing sympathy. “But your Company depends upon you to lead them… Your King depends upon you to carry out this mission!… You cannot risk your own safety to go looking for them…for her.” Ivorcheneb’s brow furrowed, his fair face crumbling with the pain he felt. “You know I speak the truth,….Friend,” Ohtar finished.

Ivor nodded slowly and dropped Celeg’s reigns. He made his way over to the small fire where Faevatheor sat alone. Ivor sat upon the hard floor of the cavern with his back against a large rock and stared into the flames. He sighed deeply, his shoulders and breath shuddering with the tears he must not let fall. Fae placed a hand upon Ivor’s shoulder and sat with his friend in silence, knowing that no words would bring any comfort to the Captain.

Silently, Ivor called upon, Ulmo—the Vala of the Sea and Waters—to have mercy upon his friends… and the one who held his heart.

[Edited on 31/12/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
moonletters
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 03:08
Now that they where all together, and safely inside the cavern, the troupe would wait out the storm in peace and when dawn and the storm broke they would journey on with their fellow comrades to scout a safe path for thier warriors.

What a happy tale that might have been!

Instead, Cirya found herself gently prodding the back of her head with her fingertips, wincing as she felt the small wound that had appeared after she had been thrown from her stead. That did not bode well for them, for the horses raised in the Elven realm seemed more in tune with the nature around them than the others. The fact that the majority of them had thrown their riders was bad tidings in the way of the storm, and its severity. Leawen sat behind Cirya, brushing her fingers away and pressed a warm, wet, clothe to the back of her head.
Cirya siletly thanked the girl sitting behind her for following her, even though she had not approved of it at the beginning. Leawen had followed Cirya, proving her loyalty and faithfullness to the end. And, in many ways, they where much alike. Only a year and a half apart, they where practically regarded as being the same age in their realm, and had become good friends when others where scarce. Cirya trusted Leawen with her life. Which meant that now she would probably have to teach her how to fight. Funny how that little topic had escaped conversation since the beginning of their mission. Deciding to breach the subject now, Cirya tentatively began talking-after all Leawen was the one applying the pressure to the wound.

"Leawen, my dear friend, I believe that we may have a slight problem."
"We do?" inquired the girl absently as she checked to see if the small amount of bleeding had ceased.
"Uhm, yes. I'm afraid that you're going to have to be taught to fight." Cirya had turned around when Leawen had removed the cloth and she now watched as the girl's eyes widened.
"I do?" she all but squeaked out in a tiny voice.
"Yes, I am afraid so. I cannot have you wandering with the company unable to fight if we are attacked. If anything happend to you, then I would never forgive myself. I am sure that the men here would protect you, but you need to know how to pull your own weight in the battle to come. All of us will be needed."
"Then I will learn, I suppose. You will be able to teach me and everything will be fine." She replied in a small voice, but filled with certainty.

Cirya gave a small smile at her friends faith in her, but continued on."But you see, I will only be able to teach you very little. I mean, for myself, I know enough about how to wield a sword and properly defend myself, and if need be to attack the offending party. But you my friend, I do not think you know what you have gotten yourself into. Nor did I, at the beggining, but I have coped well enough for myself within my abilities." Here she stopped, looking at the form of her friend and attendent in the fire light knowing that she was trustworthy, and somewhere inside couragous and brave enough to face the fearsome things of the world that she had never encountered before. Nevertheless, she went on, hoping that Leawen would vountarily agree to actually learn on her own will. "The point is, that I can teach you the basics, but we may both have to ask one of the ellon to tutor further into the art of battle."

Cirya waited for the silent form beside her to respond, or even move. It was very unfamiliar to both of them to ask the help of someone other than themselves. But Cirya knew that if either of them where to survive, they would have to learn all they could about the weapons available to them. And that would mean asking the help of one of the more skilled warriors in their company.
After a pause, Leawen agreed to learn what she could. "But who shall we ask? We would look foolish if we just went around asking for help like beggars! "
Sighing in resignation, Cirya replied."I know. But we'll worry later. For now, I'd like the bump on the back of my head to stop bleeding."
Leawen laughed a little, but applied pressure to the wound again. Cirya sat queitly while the girl behind her attended to the wound, and found her gaze shifitng to Ohtar. He looked fairly worried, and she soon found the source of his unrest. Captian Ivorcheneb was looking as if he would jump out into the storm as soon as the whim led him to it. Cirya knew that he was worried about the dark haired ellith that had accompanied them, the one who had held such a profound look of...love...in his eyes at the final ball. The one where she had met Ohtar. And as she thought of that night once more, her thoughts snapped to the man sitting by the campfire with his men.

[Edited on 2/03/2000 by moonletters]

[Edited on 1/1/2004 by Gilraen]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 06:55
Faevathor sat in silence next to Ivorcheneb, listening to the crashes of thunder that echoed throughout the cave. Such comfort that he could offer, that of his presence, he gave. Fae closed his eyes, thinking of his own torn heart and the sufferings of those around him. Was it the lot of Elves to always be thus? he wondered. Certainly it seemed so for himself and his friends. The happiness of his former life seemed to mock him, and suddenly, Fae could bear sitting still no longer. He gave Ivor's shoulder a squeeze, rose, and headed for the darkest depths of the cave - as far away from the fires as possible - and wished again for the privacy of his own room back at the palace.

He closed his eyes, unsheathed his sword and ran through his exercises. The 'whoosh' of his blade echoed through the depths of the cave, and several men as well as elves turned to watch it flashing in the fire-light. When he had finally finished and resheathed his sword, Fae was startled to see two ellith among those who had been watching him. An almost-smile appeared on the ellon's face as he gave a slight bow of acknowledgement to the observers and then silently headed back toward Ivor.

He received a smile from Ohtar as he passed the Edain troops, and stopped for a moment. Fae smiled back and said, "You handled those horses quite well, mellon nín," as he recalled the man's earlier feat. The Edain Captain's smile widened a little in response at the complement, but before he could say anything, another huge crash of thunder echoed around them. Fae ruefully shook his head then, nodded to Ohtar, and walked back to again sit with Ivor.

The Elven Captain's expression hadn't changed one jot - in fact - it seemed to Faevathor that his friend hadn't even moved the whole time he had been gone. For a moment Fae wished that he had something, anything to say that would lift Ivor's spirits, but then again, what was there that could be said to ease his own suffering? Sighing to himself, Faevathor closed his eyes again, and tried not to think about it.

Aervon was immensly relieved when the Elf Captain found the cave. He joined several of the other men in gathering such firewood and kindling as could be found and lit a fire. He sat with the other men, grateful for its warmth after the biting wind and rain outside.

The warrior warily cast his eyes at the cave entrance, where the gusting wind occasionally blasted sheets of rain inside, and jumped several times as the thunder seemed to roll through his skull.

Despite the noise, Aervon dozed, dully listening to the quiet conversations of the other men. He snapped fully awake though at a strange sound from the back of the cave. He and several of the others turned to see an elf whirling his sword around. It was the same one he had seen last evening, he realized. Again, the man was impressed with what he saw, and couldn't seem to tear his eyes away, even when the ellon had finished. Aervon was quite surprised when the Elf stopped to say something to his Captain. Interesting, he thought, as the ellon left, but then again, the man supposed that conversation between the allies was not to be unexpected. Aervon shrugged his shoulders to himself, gazed again into the dancing flames of the fire before him, and hoped that the storm would end soon.

[Edited on 2/1/2004 by gwendeth]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 02:16
This was strange, Ohtar thought as he sat down by the fire. When did the hate and anger I felt for the Elven Captain, and the disdain, turn to respect and even something that could become friendship? He did feel sorry for Ivorcheneb, he nkwe what it meant to love somebody... a long time ago. Ohtar prefered not to remember and turned his thoughts to another subject. Fae was an excellent swordsman, he was sure about it. There were some details Ohtar had no idea how the ellon did. He felt his hands itching to try to repeat them... This gave him an idea. He jumped up and walked to where Fae was sitting.

"Fae? May I have a word with you?"

Fae nodded and followed Ohtar, curiosity in his sad eyes. Ohtar turned to him, determined look in his dark brown gaze.

"Would you care to teach me some of your sword-fiting skills? There is nothing to do really now," Ohtar smiled at his friend, wishing to get that sadness out of Fae's look. A little excitement would do good. For both of them.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 07:50
Fae looked at Ohtar for a moment, surprised. Teach his friend elven sword-moves? Ay, it would indeed pass the time, he thought, and then smiled. “Indeed, if you wish,” the ellon replied, and the two headed for a clear space near the back of the cave.

They unsheathed their swords, and soon, the sounds of clashing blades echoed in reply to the sounds of the thunder throughout the cave as Faevathor taught Ohtar the moves and how to counter them. Whirling, spinning, the two practiced, and Fae was quite impressed with how quickly his friend learned. Although – it befit the man’s position of Captain that he did so. The Elf did have to temper his actions a little, since Ohtar couldn’t quite match his speed, but, the man did have speed and skill of his own. And – Ohtar’s idea achieved its intended result. Fae, for the time being, lost himself in the process as his mind concentrated on ‘other things’.

At last, though, Fae decided they had practiced enough – and well before he knew his friend would be totally exhausted from the workout. It wouldn’t be good for Ohtar’s men to see that. He grinned, clapped Ohtar on the back, and said, “Mae carnen, mellon nín,” as they walked back toward the fire. In a further show of his friendship, the Elf joined Ohtar and his men as they ate. Faevathor, again, didn’t eat much, but he listened with amusement to the Edain warriors conversations – until – he again caught sight of Ivor sitting alone. Fae leaned over to Ohtar then and whispered, “I think I’d better return to Ivor. Will you come?” The man nodded and said, “Aye,” so they rose, went over to where Ivorcheneb was still staring out at the cave entrance.

Aervon stared in wonder at his Captain as he worked with the Elf. As long as he had served with Ohtar, he was still astounded at the man’s skill at learning new fighting techniques. And – what he saw from the Elf was indeed still more impressive. As he watched, Aervon felt the same ‘itch’ to learn the new moves, but knew he, himself, wasn’t nearly skilled enough to do so.

When the Elf joined the men as they ate, he was even more surprised. So far, except for the few conversations his Captain had had with the Elves, the two groups had, for the most part, remained separate. The storm, however, had forced the elves and men into a closer contact. Perhaps, the man thought, the storm was a good thing after all, as Ohtar and Faevathor made their way up to the front of the cave.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 01:42
Ohtar didn't want to show it, but he had been close to being too tired to counter Fae's strikes. Yup, he indeed wouldn't want to meet an elf on a battle-field. It confused him slightly, to know that Fae could tell it and was holding his full skill back, but then he decided not to take notice. It was too good a chance to let it pass by just because of a suspicion that he might be humiliated in front of his men's eyes. Aye, he feared that, but nobody had to know... And Fae proved to be a friend, by payind attention to that.

Then, Fae gave him another surprise by sitting down at the men's fire. At first they seemed not to know what to say, but then they just accepted the elf in the midst of them, and after offering him their meal, continued their conversations.

Finally, to complete the "union night", Ohtar and Fae moved over to where Ivorcheneb was sitting all alone. Ohtar didn't like the looks of the fellow Captain, he seemed depressed, and it wouldn't do good for his men, and the whole company.

Ivor seemed just as surprised to see them both sitting down by his side as Ohtar's men had been.

"How sre you doing, Ivor?" Fae asked.

"I'm allright," he answered, then corrected himself, "I'm worried. They're not coming back, and there is no sign of the storm ending. They might miss us... if they return," he added gloomily.

"You think there has happened something? Do you think there is something evil out there?" Fae now looked worried, too.

"I hope not, but I fear so."

"We can't split up more than we have already," Ohtar spoke. "We will have to wait until the storm is over, anyway, and then I say we should trun back and look for them. All of us. We have to hold together."

"Thank you," Ivorcheneb nodded, turning his gaze towards the entrance of the cave again. Ohtar sighed. He did hope those three elves were allright out there.
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 10:01
Fae greatly appreciated Ohtar's quiet words to Ivor - and - the Edain Captain was right. They could not afford to split their forces any further. The Elf was just as concerned about their missing friends as Ivorcheneb, both because of worry over Saida's safety, but also because of the storm. This was not one to be in without shelter, and it was so dark outside that it was only because of his elven time-sense Fae knew that night had actually fallen.

Faevathor turned to the man, and asked quietly, "Ohtar, did you see any caves or rocks or anything in the forest that could be used for shelter when you were on your run?"

Ohtar thought for a moment and then answered, "No. Not that I saw on the path we took. That doesn't mean there isn't shelter somewhere, though."

Fae nodded. He knew his friend would have noticed if he had seen something. With anxious eyes, the warrior gazed out into the darkness, and hoped that at the very least, Súl and Fara had FOUND Saida, even if they were in the scant protection of the forest.

[Edited on 1/9/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 05:57
A few hours had passed. Most of the men had dosed off, both ellith seemed sleeping, too. Fae and Ohtar had been talking for a while, then had sunk back in each own thoughts. Fae was staring at the ceiling, his expression growing harder. Were that the memories that stole the already rare smile from the ellon's face? Ivorcheneb hadn't moved. He watched the rainfall outside like his whole life depended on that. Ohtar sighed and stretched. He felt his muscles had become stiff from sitting, he wasn't used to that. He needed to move, at least have a walk. He got up and went to the entrance of the cave. It was still raining cats and dogs, but the storm had passed, at least there was no thunder to be heard. Ohtar extended his palm, and heavy raindrops hit it. The man gazed at his hand in the faint light the fires cast, and smiled. Water, so much water, each raindrop finding its own way over his hand, ans sparkling in the firelight. Following a sudden impulse, he stepped outside and stood below the rainfall. The rain fell heavily on his shoulders, almost painfully, but it felt good. Ohtar lifted his face up and let the waterdrops hit his brow, his cheeks and closed eyes. Since childhood he had loved water above all other things, even sun and the stars. The sound of falling water against leaves and grass was so loud he couldn't hear his own heartbeats, he felt like being thrown in a fast and raging river, and the stream dragged him away... Finally he could draw a deep breath, now the air was clean and fresh. Although he missed the salty scent of the sea. Where his home had been. Ohtar drew another deep breath and suddenly laughed out loud. A swirl of happiness rose in his chest and made him laugh joyfully. As if he were a young stallion, full of yet uncovered strength, just escaped from the dark and narrow stable and found the freedom of a large meadow. Ohtar lifted his hands against the falling water as high as he could. He felt so woderfully free as he hadn't been feeling for years now. Then he dropped his arms again, and stood below the rain.

Something made him turn. A dark shape was barely to be seen in the mist of falling rain, nearby the light entrance of the cave.
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 05:34
Faevathor stared at the cave ceiling, silent, and lost in his memories. His brow darkened - it was better than the tears that threatened to show themselves again. He and Ohtar had talked some, quietly, so as not to disturb Ivor. Throughout the long hours, his friend still had not moved an inch, staring out into the dark wetness.

When Ohtar suddenly got up, it interrupted Fae's sad musings. Like the man, Fae was tired of the stillness, and he quietly followed the Edain Captain to the cave entrance.

He watched as the man gloried in the hard rain that pelted down, laughing in delight. Fae shook his head in amusement, and then something occured to him. What was it about friendship with this man that broke through the Elf's grief? So many times over the past few days, it had been Ohtar - either knowingly or unknowingly - who had, figuratively, reached out and pulled the Elf up from the depths of his despair.

A faint smile was on Fae's lips as he left the cave, and Ohtar turned in surprise as the ellon approached him. Like his human friend, the Elf turned his face upwards, and let the rain wash over him.

Ohtar returned the smile, and then, the Man and the Elf stood together, reveling in the feel of the stinging drops raining down from above.

[Edited on 21/1/2004 by gwendeth]

[Edited on 22/1/2004 by CarolP]
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 12:38
The rain was falling faster, in dark sheets that now obscured all landmarks. Through this darkness Saida moved on, her only thought now to keep going, to anywhere. The sharply honed senses and skills born of anger and fear that had kept her alive thus far were her only allies now. Wrapping her soaked robes more securely around her, she pressed blindly on.

You need not bid me farewell,
You left long ago
Like the fading leaves,
Borne away on a strange new wind.
How bare I am without you,
How much of my heart you took!
All the world is changed,
Though you say all is as it was.
This is the darkest season,
When beauty must be surrendered. *

As if she had slipped into a dream, a face filled her mind. Not thin and cruel, neither dark and powerful. Bright hair like a golden flame, eyes like blue crystals that pierced her soul with the pain of daggers . . . her lips parted in wonder as she stood on the empty plain. Tears were filling those eyes, and slipping soundlessly down the strong, beautiful face. Lips moved in a silent prayer . . . a name . . . her name.

Blood pounded in Saida's ears. He was calling to her. He wanted her, feared for her life. For her those diamond tears were falling, tears precious enough that the Valar would rend the space between them so that she might see his face. The vision faded, and the darkness grew no lighter, but the elleth now knew her path. She must get back to him.

Súlfalas' heart grew heavier with the passage of time. He almost wished that he and Faramond had not seperated, for the darkness was as oppressive as it was deep. Caden was doing his best, but no beast could move swiftly through this darkness. None but those who serve it, a nasty voice whispered in his head. He set his jaw and pulled the hood of his cloak lower over his forehead. His eyes pierced the darkness, searching in vain for the dark form of the elleth. He did not pretend to like her, something in her eyes chilled him to the core. But his captain loved the elleth more than his own life, and for that reason alone would Súlfalas search for the elleth until she was found, and he knew Faramond would do the same.

A shape seperated itself from the night, the sound of hoofbeats rising above the pounding of the rain. A voice . . . not his voice, but a familiar one all the same. The one called Faramond. He reached out a hand, and without hesitation she took it and pulled herself up behind him on the horse. Neither attempted to speak above the rain. After making sure that Saida was securely seated, the ellon turned the horse towards the cave where the rest were waiting. They had not gone far when another rider joined them, a giant ellon riding a dark horse. Súlfalas. Together the three of them rode as fast as they dared back to the company.

* from 'Surrender' by S. L. Windsor

[Edited on 27/1/2004 by eldir]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 12:16
In his mind, they plagued him.... those grey eyes. They were dark and beautiful... dangerous and life-giving... so like the storm which raged outside were the eyes of the one he loved. As he stared into the dying embers of the fire, tears flowed freely from his crystal-blue eyes. "Saida," he whispered as he closed his eyes briefly and tried to sense her through the distance between them....

No longer able to stand the maddening worry, Ivor growled in anger and annoyance and stood suddenly. Fae watched as he left their dwindling fire and stomped toward where the horses had been hobbled. Dawn was upon the air, thought still more than an hour away. As the tall, flaxen-haired ellon approached, Celeg stomped the floor of the cave impatiently. He, too, was eager to be on the move—anything to ease the anxious energy emanating from Ivorcheneb.

Ivor quickly saddled and bridled his mount and led the tall grey stallion toward the cave entrance. Fae approached slowly and opened his mouth to speak, thought not even he knew what words would come. The determined set of Ivor’s jaw and icy look of his eyes made Faevathor think better of his first instinct to challenge his Captain. The storm still raged outside, and—though its former fury had eased—travel would still be precarious.

Ivorcheneb saw this, but could no longer ignore his desire.... his need to find her. He stepped from the relative warmth of the cave into the driving rain outside and climbed into the saddle. Just as he seated himself firmly and readied himself to nudge Celeg into action, his elven ears caught the faint thunder of hoof-beats upon the wind. Celeg turned from side to side, stomping and whinnying impatiently. His ears were thrown forward as he neighed loudly. It was all Ivor needed to tell him that the horses which approached were familiar.

Quickly he urged Celeg through the trees. He wound his way around trees and branches which had been felled by the high winds toward where the company had left the road, stopping his steed in the middle of the wide path. He wiped the sheets of rain away from his eyes, annoyed at the limited visibility, and stared up the dark road toward the oncoming horses praying silently. Ulmo daur*... Please let it be that they have found her!

*Mighty Ulmo...

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Faenauliel]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 01:43
Ohtar and fae had just come back inside the cave when Ivorcheneb lost his patience. Ohtar stood and watched the elven Captain darkly, while water was ripping down his wet clothes and forming a puddle on the stone floor. Fae stepped forward to speak to his Captain, but the man knew he had nothing to do with it. However, when Ivor left the cave, Ohtar stood beside the worried Fae and put a hand on his shoulder. Despite the cold rain outside his hand was burning hot.

"I think we should not let him leave alone, what do you say, my friend?"

Fae nodded. Ohtar gave a sign to Vanrick and the older man stood up.

"Yes, Captain?"

"We will check the surroundings. Keep a watch on the entrance of the cave."

Together the three left the cave, vanrick remained near the entrance, but Ohtar and Fae followed Ivorcheneb on feet. The road wasn't too far from the cave, and they followed the dark shadow of the flaxen-haired ellon in front of them. The grey stallion neighed, and was answered. Ohtar frowned grabbing the hilt of his sword. Fae leaned closer to him and said:

"Those can't be enemies approaching. Celeg and those horses know each other. I dare say those are our scouts returning."

Ohtar sighed relieved. He hoped they were returning with the raven-haired elleth.

The man and the elf watched Ivorcheneb stopping on the road and waiting. They remained hidden in the shadows of the forest, just in case...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 04:26
The look in Ivorcheneb's crystal eyes chilled Faevathor to the bone, and he thought better of stopping his friend. He watched anxiously as the elf urged Celeg out into the pelting rain, itching to go after him.

He was startled when Ohtar placed a hot hand on his shoulder, and said, "I think we should not let him leave alone, what do you say, my friend?" Fae nodded, grateful that the man felt as he did. He waited while the Captain bid Vanrick to guard the cave entrance, and then the two crept out into the rain.

They followed Ivor on foot, but cautiously, and then Fae's keen elven hearing picked up the sound of hoofbeats. Right after, Celeg neighed, and he felt Ohtar tense beside him. Fae leaned nearer and whispered, "Those can't be enemies approaching. Celeg and those horses know each other. I dare say those are our scouts returning," and Ohtar relaxed a little. But still, the two friends were remained hidden. There was still the chance...

Fae breathed a great sigh of relief as Ivor stopped Celeg. His keen eyes had picked out what they had been desperately hoping for. "It is Súl and Fara!" he said, "And they have Saida with them!"

The man smiled and breathed more easily. Now, they could get back to the business at hand!

Faevathor, unknowingly thought the same thing, and as he watched the three horses turn back towards the cave, he whispered, "Hannad Eru*!" to himself.

*"Thank God!"

[Edited on 30/1/2004 by Beleg_Strongbow]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 07:10
Ohtar watched silently as Ivorcheneb rode to meet his friends and the woman he loved. The man still didn't let his sword-hilt go, watching rather the surroundings and the road behind the elves than the group. He half expected an attack. But nothing happened. Ivorcheneb turned his horse and led his friends towards the cave, barely noticing Ohtar and Faevathor standing in the shadow. Rain still was pouring like a waterfall.

"Let's return?" Fae asked, and Ohtar nodded. Turning to leave, a movement caught his eye.

"Watch out!" he whispered to the elf, and they fell down side by side in the wet grass. A shadow approached, slowly, hesitantly.

"It is a horse," Fae said. Ohtar trusted his friend on his word. He didn't have the keen hearing of elves.

The shadow stopped. Ohtar's muscles tensed, ready for whatever would come. Nothing happened. He motioned to Fae to go around the shadow from the left side and moved rightwards. The rain blurred his vision, but it seemed that the horse had no rider...

"Ohtar! This must be Saida's horse!" he heard Fae's surprised voice. Ohtar straightened and slowly approached the animal, but let Fae take it's reigns. It was an elven-bred horse, after all. Only then did he come closer.

"So you were our mysterious attacker, eh?" Fae stroke gently the animal's wet muzzle. Ohtar laughed softly and patted the horse's neck.

"He must have followed the other horses but lost thoir track when the rain started," he said thoughtfully. "Now, let us take you in and to your mistress, all right?" he winked to the horse. Fae smiled, too, and they headed back to the cave, side by side and the horse between them.

[Edited on 5/2/2004 by CarolP]
In the Realm of Ulmo
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 11:03
Ivorcheneb could barely contain his relief, it flowed over him as he greeted his friends... and Saida. She was soaked with the rain and shivering as he led them back to the dryness and relative warmth of the cave. As he leaped down from Celeg’s back and led the horse inside he dropped the reigns and went to build up the fire. Then returned to the group of men gathered around Súlfalas while Saida—covered by a thick blanket—removed her soaked garments.

“Orcs!” Súlfalas explained. “Apparently she was attacked by a single scout, whom she killed.... Then, she continued on into the darkness to asses the situation. She stumbled upon a whole camp of them!.... She had to hide quickly or they would have discovered her.... Luckily, the storm grew, for it was the ferocity of it that allowed her to escape her place of concealment and try to rejoin our company.” As Ivorcheneb listened to his friend, he gazed over toward the fire. Saida sat there, wrapped in the warmth of a dry blanket as her clothes were hung to dry nearby. He could clearly see that she still shivered violently from the cold.

The Captain nodded, deep in thought. “Get me a messenger!” he said. “The King’s company must be warned.” After sending his swiftest rider back to join with Gil-galad’s army, Ivor turned to meet the gaze of Ohtar. The Edain Captain spoke bluntly, “We must know all there is to know of the enemy’s scouting party... How many there were... and where exactly they were camped.” The Elven Captain nodded. He turned to go and speak with Saida.

As he approached, he could not help but note the way the firelight danced upon her dark hair. Now the flames were crackling heartily and a strong tea was steeping in a small pot upon the fire. Ivor knelt down a few feet from her, and sat for a long moment trying to decide how to begin. She held out her hands toward the fire to warm them, and the flaxen-haired ellon spoke softly. “F-forgive me.... I thought you had returned to....” An image of Saida dancing in the wizard’s embrace flooded his mind and he struggled to push it away. “...to Mithlond,” he finished in a whisper. She still shivered violently, but when she faced him, for a moment her storm-grey eyes looked somehow..... different. Softer... and all the more beautiful. “Saida,” he whispered, reaching out his hand to caress her beautiful cheek.

Then she blinked and looked away—the evanescent moment had passed. “There were about 10 to 15 of them in their camp. No horses. They were armed, but lightly so. When the storm began they set up camp in a cave some distance from here.”

Ivor was taken aback, and shifted his position awkwardly. Your imagination is getting the better of you, Ivor he thought. Clearing his throat, he nodded in understanding. “I shall find you something dry to wear, then you can show us where their camp lies,” he said. It pained his heart to have her speak so matter-of-factly to him after he had worried so for her, but all that truly matter was that, now, she was safe.

He stood to go, then felt her touch his hand lightly. “Ivorcheneb,” she said softly. Ivor’s heart skipped a beat within him, and his breath caught in his throat. He looked down at her and she blessed him with a rare smile. “Thank you for sending them to look for me.” He opened his mouth, but no words would come. The Captain could only nod and smile in reply. “We should hurry....before the Orcs break camp,” she said after a moment. “Right,” he murmured, then he quickly turned to continue his task.

Approaching Captain Ohtar, Ivor explained the situation. Quickly, the Captain of the Edain sent a runner to look about for dry clothes the Lady Saida could wear for the moment. Then the Captains and their closest warriors sat down to draw up a tentative plan...
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 03:54
(backtracking)

Fara fought against the wind and rain. He wondered how far Saida had ventured after killing the orc. His questions were soon answered. A shadow appeared in the darkness surrounding the land. Instinctively, Fara reached for his sword, but did not draw, not yet. A brilliant flash of lighting lit the landscape for but a second, but it was long enough for Fara for to see her. It was Saida.

“Saida, thank the Valar you are alive.” Fara called to her over the falling rain. He urged Belerand to her and offered a hand. She mounted gracefully behind him and held him about the waist. Fara noticed that she must have been weary as she lent slightly on him. He smiled, remembering how he and Marissa used to ride thusly, but his smile quickly faded.

The only thing left to do now was to find Sul, which proved a simple task. When the three were reunited, they rode back toward the cave. Fara spoke not a word the whole ride, too many feelings had been reawakened within him, ones he wished to lay dormant forever.

When they drew near to the encampment of the others, Fara saw Ivor first, the look of relief and gratitude on his face spoke more than any words could have. Saida dismounted and she and Ivor disappeared inside the cave. Fara sighed and stared at the puddles forming on the sodden ground. His heart ached for the love he had lost. What was he doing anyway? He was happy and respected before, now, he was nothing, he had nothing. Not even the one he had given his heart to. Her faced danced in his mind, drowning out the sounds of the storm and his dreary surroundings.

He closed his eyes and was thankful for the droplets of rain that smote his face, for they hid his grief. Fara shook it off. She made her decision, yet he did not believe he would ever forget, nor his love for her lessen. His sadness turned to frustration and confusion once more. He dismounted and began walking back to the cave when he noticed Faevathor standing nearby. Thinking he had found a way to release his negativity, he approached Fae. When he had drawn near, he bowed slightly to Ohtar in greeting, then turned his attention to Fae.

“So, mellon nin, you owe me a spar if I remember correctly.” Fara nodded and pointed to cuff in his ear. “I’m not sure if want to lose or win though.” He added with a quick wink. “What say you? The rain is invigorating and the blood runs quick in my veins, it may also be a great way to distract the others of impending events.”

[Edited on 5/2/2004 by eldir]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 02:45
Faevathor and Ohtar watched, relieved as Ivor disappeared into the cave. The Elf sighed, and then turned to his friend.

"Let's return?" Fae asked, and Ohtar nodded, but as he turned, something caught the man's eye.

"Watch out!" he whispered to the elf, and they fell down side by side in the wet grass. A shadow approached, slowly, hesitantly, and Faevathor's keen eyes searched through the rain, trying to identify it, and then suddenly... "It is a horse," Fae said, and could feel the Captain tense beside him. Then, he motioned for the two of them to separate and, nodding, the Elf moved like a shadow himself toward the left, while Ohtar crept the other way. His eyes widened when he saw there was no rider. Faevathor was puzzled for a moment and then realized what it was. "Ohtar! This must be Saida's horse!" he said, and calmly approached the animal, and took up its reins as the Captain approached.

"So you were our mysterious attacker, eh?" Fae said, quieting the slightly nervous horse, and gently rubbed the animal's wet muzzle. Ohtar laughed softly and patted the horse's neck.

They were heading back to the cave, when Faramond caought Fae's attention.

“So, mellon nin, you owe me a spar if I remember correctly.” Fara nodded and pointed to cuff in his ear. “I’m not sure if want to lose or win though.” He added with a quick wink. “What say you? The rain is invigorating and the blood runs quick in my veins, it may also be a great way to distract the others of impending events.”

Faevathor's dark eyes gleamed and he grinned as he remembered his 'challenge'. He met Ohtar's eyes and chuckled at the puzzled look in the Captain's eyes. The ellon eagerly said, "Just let me get my sword!" handed the reins to Ohtar, and ran back into the cave to fetch it. This was one match the dark-haired Faevathor was looking forward to!

[Edited on 6/2/2004 by CarolP]
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 01:56
Saida remained near the fire, still chilled in spite of dry garments. She was tired, confused, and even rather embarassed. Her temper had hindered their progress and could have put them all in grave danger. Yet she could not shake from her mind the vision that had come to her upon the plain, a vision of warmth and beauty rising out of the storm. She stole a glance to the other side of the large fireplace where Ivorcheneb and Súlfalas were bent over a map of the landscape. Their voices were low and grave, their brows furrowed in serious concentration. No doubt battle was imminent. Emboldened by their lack of attention to anything but the subject of their conversation, she began to study the elven captain more freely. He was beautiful, in a way so unlike others she had known. His was a pure beauty, strong and untainted by the ugliness of greed or self-love. Almost of their own will her eyes traveled from his face to his strong, lithe shoulders and torso down to his flat stomach, the well-defined muscles clearly visible beneath the thin material of the shirt he wore . . . .

"You never change, do you dear cousin? Covet most the things that will bring you sorrow." The quiet, almost menacing voice in her ear jerked her from her reverie. "Caun . . . I did not hear you . . ."

The young blond ellon stepped around her and sat at her side. He did not miss the surprise in her voice. "No, I did not leave. Though you've been so busy with other pursuits that I doubt you'd have noticed." Saida's face hardened at his words. "Stop your tongue. You know nothing." Caun shrugged. "I know you. I know who you are, I know where you come from. I know the people you have been with and the things you have done. And on those grounds I do not think it out of line for me to tell you to stop now."

Her eyes darkened. "I am not doing anything." He laughed quietly, without mirth. "Oh yes you are. You are lying to yourself and with your actions you are lying to him. You cannot do this, Saida." Hot tears burned in her eyes. The peace and the warmth she had felt in her spirit was gone, rent by her cousin's words. For a brief moment on the plains she thought she knew what truth was, for the first time in her life. The beauty and the wonder of it had filled her eyes. But surely she had been deceived. All that Caun said was true- there was no other life but this. All else was but a shadow of a dream.

"You would leave me without hope, then? Do I not even deserve that?" Caun dropped his gaze. "Hope has forsaken our people long ago, Saida. I would spare you fresh pain." With this he stood and disappeared once again into the shadows of the cave's interior.

Ivorcheneb still sat on the other side of the fire with the dark warrior of the north. Through the fire she watched his face, the ringing blades of two sparring warriors providing a fitting backdrop to the scene.

My heart is covered
With thoughts entangled
How could it ever have felt so real?
Is there a place more lonely than I feel within?
Could I have seen?
Could I have known?
I just took it as the truth
Everyone with a friendly face
Seems to hide some secret inside*

Saida did not know how much time had passed when Ivor called the warriors to take up arms and ready the horses. She felt his gaze upon her but would not meet it. When he stepped in her direction she moved away, deliberately putting her back to him in a motion so unmistakeable that he did not attempt to pursue her again.

The rain had stopped, a faint trace of coral bordered the horizon as the company mounted and formed into their predesignated positions. Together they rode to meet the bloody dawn.

*from Caged by Within Temptation

[Edited on 21/2/2004 by Rudhwethiel]
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 04:33
Faramond’s eyes followed Faevathor as he disappeared back into the cave. He would return soon enough as was evident in the pace of his quick strides. Fara turned his attention to Ohtar. He had not met the captain yet, not to any extent anyhow and he wished to change that. He would be going into battle with the captain of the men, and Fara wished to know that he could trust Ohtar with his life.

“Captain Ohtar, well met.” Fara greeted him as he flashed his wondrously charming smile. “And how fares the Captain of the Númenorean guard?”

Fara studied Ohtar’s facial expressions, as he was somewhat gifted in being able to tell what one was thinking by their body language. Ohtar seemed a bit apprehensive, yet not entirely surprised.

“Fine, we men are stronger than many give us credit for.” Ohtar replied while looking at Fara out of the corner of his eye.

“Indeed, you and your men have proven yourselves quite notable.” Fara replied with a genuine smile, which slowly faded. The fair-haired Elf turned his gaze toward the ground and in a slightly lowered voice, he continued. “My people, those of Greenville, do not hold the race of Men in high regard. Unjustly so.” Fara added before he stopped briefly to clear his throat. He placed a hand on Ohtar’s shoulder in a gesture of honest friendship and comradary. “I shall be honored to enter the field of battle alongside you and your men.”

Ohtar studied Fara for a moment, then returned Fara’s gesture and nodded. “As shall I Gon Faramond of Greenville. You know…”

Ohtar was stopped short by the energetic voice of Fae. “All right then, all set.”

Fara turned to see Fae brandishing his sword, swinging it in circles in front of him with a smile that seemed to stretch from ear to ear. This made Fara laugh slightly. “So eager to lose are we?”

Fae laughed, “Well now, don’t forget, if I do lose, I shan’t brand my ear.” He pointed up to the cuff in Fara’s ear.

Fara just shook his head. “You are one of the most… Never mind.” He continued, then drew his own sword. The rain had slowed to a mere mist and the clouds had broken, giving way to the first rays of dawn as they peered over the horizon.

Fara raised his sword in a graceful arch, then held it in front of his face in a salute to Fae. “It shall be an honor to test my skills against you. Although I can’t decide whether it would be in my best interest to win, or lose.”

Fae laughed heartily. “Ah, but that is the point, mellon nín.”

A crowd began to form a circle around the two. They watched as Fara and Fae circled each other, like two mountain lions waiting to pounce. Fae held out his sword, in a half-hearted jab, which Fara effortlessly batted away with his own blade. Fae smiled and with a quick motion, he effortlessly turned his wrist and brought his sword up toward Fara’s midsection. Fara blocked it, forcing Fae’s sword downward. Fae spun and brought his blade up, then down toward Fara in an arc of flashing silver. It stopped quickly as it met with the sharp edge of Fara’s blade. The swing carried enough momentum to send Fara on his heels, though he held his own against it and returned a blow of his own.

“Come on boys, you can do better than that!” Came a call from one of the men in the crowd. Fara and Fae separated and nodded to one another. It was obvious the two were just feeling each other out, planning their strategy as any good fighter would.

With a smile, Fara grasped the hilt of his weapon tighter and charged at Fae in a flurry of quick, yet powerful, short swings. The sounds of the clanging steel sung throughout the surrounding area with a melody all to itself. Fae blocked the blows and returned a few of his own. The two continued like this for quite some time. Their elegant, sinewy bodies moved in perfect unison with each other. It seemed more of an elegant dance than a sparring match as the two shared the same graceful fighting style.

They pirouetted and lunged, seeming to float over the ground with their feet barely resting in one place for long. Every movement of their swords flashed in hues of silver and red in the early morning light as the rhythm played by the union of their blades filled the air.

A few shouts rang out from the spectators when a blow would come close to its mark. A few men took bets on the winner while others just enjoyed the show. “How long do you think they will go on?” “They must get tired sometime.”

Fara truly was enjoying himself for he had found an equal in Fae. He studied Fae’s every move, though never focusing on any one part of his body, but rather keeping the whole picture in mind, to avoid a surprise attack. The previous question of whether or not he actually wanted to lose or win, found its way out of his thoughts, he was engulfed fully by the momentum of the battle. He didn’t even notice the new arrival to the crowd until she called out in her melodic voice.

“Raise your swords, the battle is here, when fighting your foe, never show fear.”

Fara’s heart skipped a beat as the words pierced his heart deeper than any dagger. They were ones he spoke to but one person. His mind, drifted from the battle to a day long past in a place never forgotten. A look of confusion painted its way across Fara’s face, yet he battled on, refusing to allow himself to be distracted. Many years of training had taught him to remain focused, many things can happen on the battle field, and one must not be caught off guard. Fara took a step back, and Fae, seeming to understand, broke off their engagement.

“What say you?” Fara asked, pretending to be winded, “Shall we call it a draw and continue this another day?”

Fae nodded, apparently understanding Fara’s dilemma, “Perhaps that would be best, we should save our strength for the task at hand.”

The two warriors sheathed their swords, then shared an embrace. Fae, thinking about what he had learned of Fara’s past, knew who the newcomer must be. He whispered in Fara’s ear. “If you need me, mellon nín, I am here for you.” Fara patted Fae’s back in recognition. “le hannon,” and then broke off the embrace. The two briefly looked straight into each other’s eyes, both feeling the bond of friendship being forged between them. Fae looked over Fara’s shoulder at the stranger. Fara stood perfectly still, afraid to turn and look behind him.

“She waits for you, go to her.” Fae advised Fara while nodding behind him, before he turned and left him. Fara felt the mist on his skin grow cold. He closed his eyes and battled with his own feelings of anger and love.

“Is my love not welcome here, my lord?” The sweet voice reached Fara’s ears and he became oblivious to all around him, those watching closely to see how the Captain would react to the love that slighted him. Fara thought of how he would reply. He knew he should be angry with her for letting him leave alone, yet she had come for him after all.

Of course it is, I have longed for nothing more. Your love is the sweetest kiss of dew on the early morning glades. He wished to say this to her, but his throat would not put forth the words. Slowly, Fara turned to regard her.

She stood, her face slightly lowered, yet her eyes beholding him in a yearning expression. Her pale skin glowed in the early gloom of the new day, her dark, wet hair and cloak clinging provocatively to her body. She shivered slightly, whether from anticipation or the cold, Fara knew not, nor did he care. She had come for him, and that was all that mattered. His legs moved beneath him, carrying his body unconsciously toward her while feelings welled in his chest. One tear fell from his eye, a tear of hope and joy for a lost love returned. She opened her mouth, her crimson lips parting to speak, yet they were silenced by a firm, yet gently fingertip. Without a word, Fara lent forward and their lips met in a passionate embrace. He wrapped his arms about her shoulders, and they shared that moment, forgetting both the past and future in the deluge of pure contentment and love.

(to be continued… )

[Edited on 17/2/2004 by maeghin]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 05:51
For some time, Ohtar stood with the others and watched the battle. He wanted to keep an eye on his men, to watch their reaction, attitude towards the elves, and their readiness to accept then as allies.

Vanrick was watching the battle very attentively. Ohtar could see that the older man was recording every strike and every block, up to the movements of both elves' legs. He smiled to himself. The Edain Captain remembered Faramond's words, that the Greenville elves didn't consider men worthy but that Fara himself had changed his ming. Funny, he thought, this reminds me of my opinion about elves...

He turned to see what Captain Ivorcheneb was doing and found him leaning over a map with Sulfalas. The man narrowed his eyes. Right! The moment he had gotten his woman back, he was forgetting the allegiance between them! Ohtar clenched his fists, feeling the anger boiling in him. He looked at the dark ceiling of the cave to avoid his angry looks to be noticed by the elven Captain. Once he had him under control, he headed that way, looking absolutely calm. He had his responsibility in front of his men. He couldn't let his fiery temper loose.

"Gon Ivorcheneb?" Ohtar said in a calm voice that didn't betray anything of the turmoils inside him.
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 10:09
“Raise your swords, the battle is here, when fighting your foe, never no fear.”

Fae had not enjoyed a sparring-match such as this in a very long time, and the smile never left his face as he and Fara spun and lunged. And, even as he concentrated, he could sense the interest of the watchers, and laughed to himself as bets were being taken. At the stranger’s words, though, the dark-haired warrior immediately saw the change on his opponent’s face. Faevathor admired how the other refused to let it alter his focus… and yet… when Fara stepped back, Fae did as well.

“What say you?” Fara asked, pretending to be winded, “Shall we call it a draw and continue this another day?”

Fae nodded. Now was not the time to finish this match – that was clear. This strange new elleth must be the one who had caused this newcomer so much pain, he thought, so the Elf said, “Perhaps that would be best, we should save our strength for the task at hand.” He resheathed his sword, as Faramond did also, and then embraced as fellow-warriors. However, well Faevathor knew how difficult loves were, and whispered in Fara’s ear. “If you need me, mellon nín, I am here for you.” Fara patted Fae’s back in recognition. “le hannon,” and then broke off the embrace. The two briefly looked straight into each other’s eyes, both feeling the bond of friendship being forged between them. Fae looked over Fara’s shoulder at the stranger. Fara stood perfectly still, afraid to turn and look behind him.

“She waits for you, go to her.” Fae advised Fara while nodding behind him. The look on his new friend’s face betrayed his inner turmoil, but then the elf turned to face the elleth. Fae turned away then, there were too many emotions that assaulted him, and he cringed inwardly at the she-elf’s next words to Faramond. “Is my love not welcome here, my lord?”

Desperately trying to get a handle on his too-close grief, Fae went back into the cave. However, as he saw Ivor and Súl bent over the map, the warrior’s torment grew. Even Ivorcheneb had his love with him – apart, yes – but still, Saida was here… Fae clenched his teeth and his fists, and blinked back the tears. Not now! He told himself, and tried to turn his mind to other things. He watched as Ohtar approached Ivor, who was still checking the map. His human friend was obviously upset, and Faevathor could feel the waves of fury battering his elven senses, even as he knew the Captain was trying to control himself. And Ohtar’s calm voice when he addressed the elven Captain didn’t fool Fae one bit.

Silently, Faevathor walked over to stand beside Ohtar – almost in between the man and Ivor. The Elf knew well, that with the news Súl, Fara, and Saida had brought, there must not be any disagreements betwixt the two captains. Ohtar glanced at him briefly, and then Ivor turned, his concentration broken. “Might I ask,” and though the man’s voice was still quiet, Fae again winced within himself as Ohtar continued, “What plans are you making?” “I’ve sent a messenger back to inform the King,” Ivorcheneb said, and then filled Ohtar and Fae in on the provisional plan. Fae nodded and met Ohtar’s eyes for a moment and then hurried to ready Mithfaer. The ellon was glad it had finally stopped raining as he leapt to the grey Stallion’s back, and the sun was turning the sky into a red blaze of glory as the small band headed out.

Aervon watched, awed as the two elves battled. Yes, he had seen the dark-haired one practicing several times, and had watched his Captain – but the speed, power, and agility of the two elven-warriors was nothing like the man had ever seen before. Several of the three new men began laying bets between the duelers, but Aervon refused. He was more interested in their fighting skills than who would actually win.

He was surprised, however, when the two suddenly stopped – and well before there was a clear winner. Aervon glared at the newcomer who had apparently interrupted the match, and then gaped. Lovely! he growled to himself. Just what we needed – another woman! Fuming to himself, the warrior re-saddled his mount and headed for his place in the column. The road was muddy, and his horse kept slipping in it as he followed in the wake of Vanrick. The only thing that gave him any hope at all was the fact that the wet ground meant there would be no dust.

Aervon turned his mind back to what he had just witnessed between the two elves. He shuddered uncontrollably as he remembered one elf adroitly dodging a vicious swipe from the other. And yet – the man could tell from the battler’s faces that it had been a friendly match. By all that is Holy, Aervon thought, I would not want to be fighting against an elf!

[Edited on 18/2/2004 by ithillinde]
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 08:23
The orc-camp was empty. Caun, along with most of the other warriors, sensed this even before he reached the hollow that still bore the creatures' stench. Bones and filth lay scattered about the deserted encampment. Ivorcheneb, Ohtar, and a few of the others dismounted to discuss the company's next move. While the melodic voices of the elves and the rougher speech of the Númenoreans mingled in quiet debate, Caun nudged his horse forward in order to better survey the hollow. The clearly discernable tracks of the orcs led to the west. Caun's brow furrowed. West, when they, the orc's quarry, were headed south . . .

Caun's head jerked up suddenly. Ivorcheneb stood before him. The younger elf immediately assumed a defensive stance, jaw forward and shoulders tensed. Ivor did not acknowledge Caun's attitude. "What do you think?" The question took Caun aback. "Why not ask Saida? She is the better tracker." For a moment something painful flickered in the Captain's light eyes, then the indifference returned. "She seems to be avoiding me. The company is divided- some wish to pursue the orcs, others say we should continue on our original route." Caun shrugged. "So why come to us? You're the captain, and I should think we've been of little help thus far." An edge of impatience was in Ivor's voice when he responded this time. "Because I know what you're capable of. I know the skills you both hide. You have known the best course of action since the moment you set foot in this reeking hole. And I would greatly appreciate some response from you that does not contain sarcasm or deceit."

The sun had continued its ascent into the sky, the red light throwing the planes of Caun's angular face into sharp relief as he turned to survey the terrain around them in all directions. Finally he turned back to face Ivorcheneb, steely grey eyes meeting ice blue ones with grim honesty.

"Orcs are ignorant of all but their desire to kill and fight and eat. But those whom they serve . . . they are not so thick-minded. Our route is known, as is our purpose. The orc's journey west is a distraction. When the light of day has gone they will return, this time prepared for battle. If we pursue them, they get to choose the battleground. We will be walking into an ambush." Ivorcheneb nodded, thinking to himself that this was the longest speech he had ever heard the younger ellon make. "And if we continue south?" Caun's eyes swept the terrain again. "Then none of us should rest tonight. No matter which direction we choose, they will not stop hunting us. At least this way we get to choose the battleground."

[Edited on 22/2/2004 by ithillinde]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 26, 2004 10:13
They had cautiously approached the small gorge in which the Orcs had camped. But, even before they had reached it, the Elves had sensed that their enemies had moved on. Ivorcheneb nudged Celeg into a canter and—with the Captain of the Edain at his side—made his way into the deserted camp.

Ivor dismounted and surveyed the surroundings. “They have moved away West,” Ohtar observed from his cursory examination of the tracks. As the man stood he turned toward the Elven Captain. “They move toward Mithlond... We must pursue them.” Ivorcheneb stood quietly, facing the direction of the city in which he had lived for countless years. His crystal-blue eyes grew clouded with memory...

It was 1699 of the Second Age when Ivor had first tasted the horrors of battle. After driving their forces between Lindon and the Elves’ allies in Eregion, Sauron’s minions had attacked the very walls of the city of Mithlond. And though Gil-galad and his forces had fought fiercely, they were soon in danger of being over-run. Ivorcheneb would never forget the bloodshed of that battle....Would remember for all time the fear, disgust, the utter hopelessness that had grown in his heart at having to witness—and even cause—such bloodshed....

He was reminded, also, of how his heart had rejoiced upon seeing the sails of the Númenorean ships as the great fleet of Men arrived in the Gulf of Lhûn. It was due to those reinforcements that Gil-galad’s city had not fallen. The Elves and the Númenoreans had been able to drive Sauron’s army back....and eventually drive the Dark Lord out of the Elven Lands.

“Gon Ivorcheneb?” Ohtar’s voice finally broke Ivorcheneb away from the memories that were well over a thousand years old. He turned to face the Captain of the Edain, grateful again for the aid he brought. “Forgive me.... I understand your concern for Mithlond.... But our Kings are relying upon us as their scouting party... And I am not entirely convinced that the band of Orcs who rested here last night would mount a great threat at the walls of that city—or any other...” he mused. “Perhaps they are to join up with greater numbers of their kind,” Ohtar suggested. Ivor nodded in agreement, torn as to what direction to go. “Let me speak to one of my warriors.... He may have information that could be helpful to our decision,” Ivor said, bowing politely as he took his leave.

Ivor could sense that Ohtar held a great annoyance for him, though he was at a loss as to how to solve this problem. He held the Captain of the Men in high regard—had tried his best to listen to Ohtar’s much appreciated council. But, try as he may, Ivorcheneb could not manage to forget how very young this man was—indeed how young all of the warriors of the Edain were! He shook his head and sighed, then spotted Caun sitting quietly and alone in the shadows.

As Ivor stood over him, Caun jumped, looking up suddenly at the tall ellon. Ivorcheneb saw the defensiveness in Caun’s stance—observed the tense muscles of the younger ellon’s shoulders. “What do you think?” he asked Caun quietly.

The question took Caun aback. "Why not ask Saida? She is the better tracker." For a moment something painful flickered in the Captain's light eyes, then the indifference returned. "She seems to be avoiding me. The company is divided-- some wish to pursue the Orcs, others say we should continue on our original route." Caun shrugged. "So why come to us? You're the captain, and I should think we've been of little help thus far." An edge of impatience was in Ivor's voice when he responded this time. "Because I know what you're capable of. I know the skills you both hide. You have known the best course of action since the moment you set foot in this reeking hole. And I would greatly appreciate some response from you that does not contain sarcasm or deceit."

Ivor watched quietly as Caun struggled within himself about what to tell his Captain. It would be difficult for Ivor to bring himself to trust entirely what this secretive ellon may tell, but he was determined to give Saida a wide berth. After all... that was what she seemed to desire from him. He tried to push away the pain that rose up within him when he thought of how she avoided him, and kept his face stern. Ivor knew if Caun sensed any hint of weakness in the Captain, he would only play games with what facts he would tell. Finally, Caun turned to face Ivor once again. As their eyes locked in a silent battle of will, Ivor could see that Caun would not dare to play any such games with him....at least not at the moment.

"Orcs are ignorant of all but their desire to kill and fight and eat. But those whom they serve . . . they are not so thick-minded. Our route is known, as is our purpose. The Orc's journey west is a distraction. When the light of day has gone they will return, this time prepared for battle. If we pursue them, they get to choose the battleground. We will be walking into an ambush." Ivorcheneb nodded, thinking to himself that this was the longest speech he had ever heard the younger ellon make. "And if we continue south?" Caun's eyes swept the terrain again. "Then none of us should rest tonight. No matter which direction we choose, they will not stop hunting us. At least this way we get to choose the battleground."

Ivorcheneb nodded. “Hannon le, Hîr Caun,” he said with a slight smile. Then he turned to make his way back toward Ohtar with the news. As he walked away, Ivor could feel the heaviness of Caun’s eyes upon him, and reminded himself to watch the ellon closely.

“Gon Ohtar,” Ivor greeted his fellow Captain. He related the information which Caun had given, watching the doubt slowly grow in Ohtar’s eyes. “How would any of your men know of such things for certain?” he challenged. “He knows,” Ivor assured Ohtar. “He senses things that are even beyond normal Elven abilities to sense.” Ohtar instantly looked convinced, yet wary. “Elven magic?” It was more a statement than question. Ivorcheneb shrugged slightly, “In a way... It is impossible to explain as even I do not know the whole of the truth behind their... his power. I know only that he knows... Though we must be careful of how much we trust him, he has not dared lead me astray in this instance.”

The Edain Captain nodded, deep in thought. “I leave the final decision to you, Mellon,” Ivor said quietly. He trusted Ohtar’s abilities in battle, and knew what he would say. “We will head south... and swiftly. We must search for a defensible position,” Ohtar said as he mounted his steed. Then, his voice hard and confident, he added, “Let the Orcs come!... And may the Gods show them the mercy that we shall not!” He turned his horse and began shouting orders to his men. As Ivorcheneb watched, the relief he had felt over 1700 years before flooded through him... and his smile grew.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 11:21
Aervon watched suspiciously as the Elven Captain spoke to the other elf, and then briefly to his own commander. They were too far away from him for the warrior to hear what was being said. However, when Ohtar started shouting orders, the man took a firmer grip on his horse's reins and loosened the sword in his scabbord. Come what may, Aervon would be ready!

He glanced briefly at the dark-haired elf who had been sparring earlier. There was a look of grim determination on that ellon's face that sent a chill down Aervon's spine. Something was definately bothering that elven-warrior, and the man was again grateful they were on the same side.

Fae and Súlfalas stayed mounted and listened while Ivor, Caun, and then Ohtar talked - and their keen elven-hearing missed nothing. The elf felt a brief flash of amusement as he saw the ring in Ivorcheneb's ear glinting in the sunlight. It would, indeed, be interesting to see what would happen when - or if - he and Fara continued their 'match'. But the thought of his new friend again brought Faevathor's ever-present grief back to mind. The ellon had been riding next to his lady-love, and unbidden, Fae's eyes wandered to where the two of them were talking quietly. He swore under his breath and blinked his eyes furiously. The ellon desperately tried to control his emotions, but this time, had no luck. It was almost worse when Súlfalas reached out a hand and gripped his shoulder tightly, and Fae knew well the warrior understood his feelings all to well. Without meeting his friend's eyes, Faevathor quietly said, "Le hannon," in response. But still...

Mithfaer moved restlessly under him, as the stallion sensed Faevathor's inner turmoil. The sooner he had a chance to exact revenge, the better! he thought, and the ellon's face looked like it was set in stone.

As the group readied itself to head out again, Faevathor muttered, "It's about time!" to himself, and his eyes blazed in anticipation. From the corner of his eye, the elf saw Súl glance at him, and then wince just a little at the look in his friend's eyes, but Fae didn't care. It didn't matter when - or where - it happened, but the beasts who had taken his beloved wife from his side would pay dearly for their actions!

[Edited on 29/2/2004 by CarolP]
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 03:03
O my love
I stand on a distant shore
The turning tide
Breathes all the mystery of you

O my dream
Are lost with the autumn leaves
That turn to gold
And fall in the memory of you

O my heart
Returns to the sweetest morn
That was the springtime
For the loving of you

O my life
I weep for the drifting years
And for my soul
That longs for the comfort of you...*

The rage in Faevathor's eyes had not gone unnoticed by Súlfalas. The Northern ellon felt a sudden stab, knowing that that must be the same light that blazed in his own eyes as he rode into battle, even after the many years that had passed. What would she think of what I am now . . . it would break her heart. Would she fear my touch when she knew the blackness of my heart? The thought caused him such pain that his breath caught. He still could see her, clear as if she were before him, standing in the doorway of their home as he rode away that morning on some trivial errand. Her jet hair flowed around her almost to the ground, her slender form silhouetted enticingly against the shadows behind her. He had made it only to the end of the lane before he had had to turn Caden and fly back to her. "That's the farthest you've ever made it . . ." she had laughed, hugging him tightly and sending him on his way once more with a kiss. He had mounted Caden again, and with one more longing look back had ridden away, leaving her standing in the doorway smiling even while the tears stood in her eyes. She knew . . . somehow, she knew . . . how could I bear to leave her . . . He whispered to himself, the emptiness in his eyes deepening as the image faded away against the sound of hoofbeats and the clinking of armor.

Caun scanned the company for Saida, and nudged his horse forward until he rode by her side. "Did you lie to him?" she asked quietly, without preamble. "No, I did not. Not this time." Something flickered in her stormy eyes. "Don't. Ever." Caun glanced at his cousin out of the corner of his eye, then fixed his gaze straight ahead again as he spoke. "Your silence is the same as spoken deception. I did not lie to Gon Ivorcheneb, but you have from the moment you met him."

* from I Will Remember You Still, Mists of Avalon Soundtrack

[Edited on 7/3/2004 by Rudhwethiel]

[Edited on 7/3/2004 by CarolP]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 06:31
The Edain Captain nodded, deep in thought. “I leave the final decision to you, Mellon,” Ivor said quietly. He trusted Ohtar’s abilities in battle, and knew what he would say. “We will head south... and swiftly. We must search for a defensible position,” Ohtar said as he mounted his steed. Then, his voice hard and confident, he added, “Let the Orcs come!... And may the Gods show them the mercy that we shall not!” He turned his horse and began shouting orders to his men.

Ohtar was impatient to do something, he couldn't just sit and wait for things to happen. If you do something, then do it quickly!

He had to admit, that this elven Captain did have a great deal of knowledge, and that his own decision had been wrong. And it hurt his pride. But now that he felt he had the lead... He felt better.

Ohtar urged his horse forward, and heard the others following. His gaze was searching for a good and defencible place, but nothing was to be seen...

They kept riding. Captain Ivorcheneb joined Ohtar in the front.

"Maybe we should send a couple of men to watch our backs?" Ohtar suggested, and Ivor agreed. He motioned Sulfalas to come nearer.

"Aervon!" Ohtar called.

"Yes, sir!" the man was instantly at his side.

"Fall back and let me know if we are tracked. Youwill go with this elven warrior," Ohtar was ashamed not to know the names of all of them, and made a promise to himself to fill this blank spot of his as soon as possible. Both Aervon and Sul slowed down and soon were out of sight.
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 05:18
"Aervon!" The edain warrior was startled when his Captain called him. Immediately, the man spurred his horse forward. "Yes sir!" he replied as soon as his mount was at Ohtar's side.

"Fall back and let me know if we are tracked. You will go with this elven warrior," the man ordered. Aervon nodded and glanced at the dark-haired ellon on the huge black stallion. Both he and the elf slowed their horses until the rest of the company were out of sight.

Aervon glanced at the warrior again. Strange he seemed - even among the other elves in the company: rings in his ears and a hard look on his face. A little hesitantly, as he watched the elf gazing into the distance, the man introduced himself. "My name is Aervon." "Súlfalas," was the reply, but the elf never took his eyes off the horizon. Aervon, himself was looking around, but was well aware that it was not he who would spot any possible enemy - not with the keen elven sight of his companion.

Fae didn't turn and watch as Súl and the man slowed their mounts. He didn't dare. Just knowing Faramond and his love were riding behind him was an agony that grew ever stronger. To see it right now would be more than the ellon could take, and Faevathor knew it.

Mile upon mile they rode, and every beat of Mithfaer's hooves only strengthed the dark-haired warrior's despair. Suddenly the rhythm of their pace recalled something to Fae's mind. Tormented and grieving, he tried to erase the song from his memory, but it was of no use.

"Can you hear me call you,
From o'er the mountains high?
Can you hear me call you,
Across the wide deep sea?

Through winter's darkest night?
When summer breezes laugh?

Can you hear my whisper,
I call my true love's name!
The harper's song will call you
And will you come again?"

Unable to stop the tears that fell, Faevathor's mind and heart burned at the knowledge that the voice he wanted to hear was gone forever.

Finally, the ellon spurred the grey stallion into a faster pace, coming up beside Ohtar and Ivorcheneb. He knew his grief was written all to plainly on his face, but he was heartily tired of the silence that surrounded him. Faevathor only wished he could think of something to say.

* © 2004 by gwendeth

[Edited on 16/3/2004 by gwendeth]

[Edited on 16/3/2004 by eldir]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2004 12:25
Ohtar turned his head to look at Fae between him and Captain Ivorcheneb. Even to him it was obvious that the ellon was suffering inside. And Ohtar could well guess, what was the reason for that. The sight of Fae screaming and collapsing in Gil-Galad's palace after receiving the news of the death of his wife flowed past the man's eyes. He tried not to watch the ellon. It would lack him the last dignity he had.

Can a man really love like that? he wondered. He had always believed it to be a myth, like the love of Beren and Luthien. Ohtar thought that the story gad been told and retold too many times to be considered a true one. Too magical it seemed to him. He couldn't think of a woman he would die for. But then - maybe it was just him.

He concentrated on the surroundings even harder. He had to find a good spot for defence, and had to find it now! For the sake of the men and the horses who better be strong and fresh at the encounter. At last, something caughed his sight. The road passed a small hill on the right side.

"Hold on, I will ride closer and take a look," he told Captain Ivorcheneb, and hurried to explore the hill. To his greatest delight, it was more than suitable for the ambush he wanted to make. There wer in fact two hills, the second higher than the first one, with a narrow trench in between them. Perfect!, he smiled and returned.

"I think here is a perfect place to meet the orcs in a battle," he told Fae and Ivor, "would you care to take a look at it?"

[Edited on 22/3/2004 by eldir]
In the Realm of Ulmo
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 01:57
Ohtar urged his horse off to the right to explore a small series of hills. Ivorcheneb smiled and turned to face Faevathor. "Holding up?" he asked his friend gently. Fae nodded, but seemed at a loss for words. Ivor understood. After he had lost his family, it had taken him many decades before he had felt any semblance of normalcy... And though he had found strength enough within himself--even as a child--to live on, the pain of losing them lingered within him still.

The Captain of the Edain returned with reassuring news.

"I think here is a perfect place to meet the orcs in a battle," he told Fae and Ivor, "would you care to take a look at it?"

Ivorcheneb's smile grew and he nodded. The two ellyn followed Ohtar up the smaller of the two hills and surveyed the area. Indeed, it was a perfect defensible position. The three dismounted their horses to take a better look about the grass-covered knolls. Ivor placed a hand upon Ohtar’s shoulder and smiled. “Well done my friend!” he said. “This place definitely has possibilities!” he teased.

The mortal Captain seemed taken aback by the good-natured chiding. He joined in the ellon’s laughter, but his eyes remained unsure. No matter, thought Ivor. At least he is beginning to see that I consider him a worthy ally and equal…as well as a friend. Ohtar’s brow remained furrowed in slight confusion. At least I hope he does! Ivor added to himself.

A brisk wind blew and Fae turned to look out into the distance. “Angol rîn!... As noston ne gwilith {Their stench!... I smell [it] upon the air},” he said in disgust. Ivorcheneb nodded, clearly alarmed. “Hain ú-chae! {They [are] not-far}” he replied. “What do you sense?” Ohtar asked urgently. Then Celeg’s neck stiffened and he nervously sniffed at the air with flared nostrils, as the other two horses began to move about nervously. Ivor stroked the horse’s neck to calm him. He faced Ohtar. “It is the Orc-host… We can smell them.” The man nodded, his eyes shown with anticipation for the battle. “How long?” he asked the ellyn. “They will probably arrive just after nightfall,” Fae replied.

Ohtar smiled humorlessly and his eyes narrowed icily as he mounted his horse. “Ah!” he said, only a hint of sarcasm touched his voice. “Then we have plenty of time!” He spurred his mount down the hill and began shouting orders to his men. Fae and Ivor looked at one another for a moment, then they both burst into laughter. “I almost pity the orcs!” Ivor joked. “Yes…” Fae replied as he watched Ohtar commanding the movements of his men. “We are lucky to have him on our side!”

Súlfalas met Fae and Ivor as they reached the bottom of the hill and they informed him that the enemy was near. Scanning the surrounding area and observing the manner in which Ohtar was dividing his men, Ivor began sending specific Elven warriors to be dispersed throughout the groups of the Númenorean soldiers. Súl raised an eyebrow questioningly and Ivorcheneb smiled. “If we are to fight side-by-side before the Black Gates, they may as well grow accustomed to it before we arrive there,” the Elven Captain replied.

Ivor looked past the bustling warriors and his gaze fell upon Saida. He wanted more than anything to approach her—to speak with her, however briefly—and ask that she stay close to him in the coming battle. But she had made clear through her avoidance of him that she was not interested in his doting protection of her. “Ivor!” Súlfalas snapped his fingers in front of Ivor’s eyes, bringing the flaxen-haired Captain out of his silent musings.
“Goheno nin {forgive me},” Ivor said sheepishly. “What were you saying?” Súlfalas shook his head in mock exasperation. “You’re impossible!... I said that it is a good thing we are down-wind of them…Even if we do have to tolerate this horrid stink!... Let’s hope the wind does not shift.” Ivorcheneb nodded. Fae led his horse off to join a group of the Númenoreans. Left alone, Súl lowered his voice so that only Ivor could hear. “I will stay near her…I shall not let her out of my sight.” Ivor uttered a deep sigh of relief. “Once again, I owe you my life, Gwador nín.”

The dark eyes of the Northern ellon narrowed mischievously. “Careful!” he teased playfully. “One of these days I shall come to collect!... And what a pretty little servant you shall be!” Then, laughing heartily at his own joke, he led his mount off in the direction of Saida. Ivorcheneb shook his head. “The Moriquendi are so ODD!” he muttered to himself. Then he turned his mind back to the task at hand. “Let the orcs come!” Ohtar had said… And now, they were indeed on their way.

[Edited on 23/3/2004 by eldir]

[Edited on 24/3/2004 by Faenauliel]
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 05:11
(backtracking quite a bit. Warning some mushiness :love: and stupidity )

“Why have you returned to me? I thought you had made your choice clear.” Fara remarked when the shock of her return had faded and the old suspicions began to return, whether he wanted them or not.

Marissa turned her gaze toward the ground as a tear rolled down her cheek. She whispered, in a remorseful tone, “I am sorry, my love. Things were… Complicated.”

As Fara watched her every movement and studied her more closely, he noticed that the pendant of her family’s lineage no longer hung from her neck. Fara gently lifted her chin so that she might face him. “What has happened? I pray thee, if you ever loved me, if you still love me, pray tell the truth.” His anguish, fear and confusion were evident.

Marissa’s eyes sparkled as she brought her hand up to caress his cheek, though a pain resided deep within, hidden within her depths, that Fara could not comprehend. She smiled contentedly as she stared into Fara’s pale blue eyes, then her smile faded and her expression darkened.

“As I said, my love, things were complicated. The King is not himself; or rather he has let his baser, primitive side come forth to rule the kingdom.” She spat the words out as though she hated the mere thought of them. “He does not rule the Kingdom any longer, his advisers have seen to that, they poison his mind with their words and treachery, they will lead Greenwood to its ruin, through their pride and greed, though I know not how. His advisers knew that you would question them, spoil their treacherous plans, and for that, you were banished.”

Fara regarded her skeptically. “And how do you know of this?”

“I followed my father to a meeting the night you… left. They plotted and schemed, though most of the conversation I could not hear. They plan to launch an assault against the enemy, alone. Their arrogance and greed blinds them from what is the best for Greenwood.” She paused and closed her eyes tightly, releasing yet another rush of tears. “When my father returned home, I questioned him, and for that… My father…” She whispered as she reached subconsciously toward her chest where her pendant once hung. She stared back at Fara, her eyes mirroring her confusion and fear. She swallowed hard and continued in a more pleading tone.

“I am sorry, my love. I did not know. Please, you must believe me. He forbade me to leave Greenwood with you. He promised he would shun me from the family if I did so.” She paused and let her chest rise and fall sharply as she tried to gather both her breath and her composure. “I should have followed my heart from the start and for that, I am ever regretful.”

Fara could say nothing. He knew what she had done, even without her saying as much. He did not understand politics very well, he was a soldier not a ruler, yet what she spoke to him struck poignantly at his chest. He loved Greenwood, his home. He knew what she had done, for him. Without a sound, he leaned forward and gathered her within his arms. She shivered from the dampness and also from her uncertainty. Fara lowered his head and placed a gentle kiss upon her forehead.

Rissa, for that is what he called his love, raised her gaze to meet his. A few strands of raven black hair clung to her pale cheeks, her eyes catching the light of the newly risen Sun. Fara found it hard to breathe, it was as though he had fallen in love with her anew, yet he had never truly stopped loving her. He brushed back the stray hairs as his expression softened.

“I promise you shall not regret your choice. I shall care for thee as long as the treasures of Varda light our path.” They shared a passionate embrace and for a moment all that was wrong with Middle Earth was forgotten, only their love remained, and it warmed them with the strength of a thousand Suns.

Their reunion was cut short, however. Fara quickly raised his head and perked his ears as the call to ride forth swept over the camp. As much as he wished to remain there, holding her, he broke their embrace. Fara removed his cloak and placed it quickly over Rissa’s shoulder.

“I shall fill you in as we ride, but for now, we must move.” Fara helped raise Rissa to mount her horse, then lead them to where his horse stood, grazing on a patch of grass. Fara mounted and together, they took their place in the column, just behind Faevathor.

As they rode, Fara sat straight and proud in on his mount. Though he had lost his title and prestige, his love had returned and they were together, that was all that mattered. He glanced over toward her, and his smile widened greatly. Rissa lowered her gaze as her lips playfully curled into a smile as well. Then she turned her eyes flirtatiously toward her man. Fara laughed slightly and shook his head.

“So, it looks as though you have found your place once more. Though it may take me a while to get used to your new… companions.” She said as she glanced over to a man who rode just behind them.

Fara winced. He had forgotten how Rissa was raised, to behold the race of men as beneath her. He sighed. “Just give them a chance. They may yet change your opinion, my love.”

Rissa sighed deeply. “You seem to have grown… accustomed to these… men. I too shall try to give them a chance as you say.”

Fara nodded, he knew it would be hard for Rissa to come around and view the men as anything other than less than the Elves, but at least she had promised to try.

The Sun had risen higher in the sky and began its decent toward the West when the party halted. Fara rode forth to where Súl, Ivor and Ohtar were conversing. He surveyed the area as well. After Súl had left, Fara approached Ivor.

“Gon Ivorcheneb, now may not be the best time, but I would like to introduce you to someone very close to me. This is Marissa.” Fara stated as he turned to his blushing betrothed. A look of confusion briefly painted Ivor’s face, but a quick glance from Fara told him that all would be explained later.

“I am honored to make your acquaintance, Gon Ivorcheneb. I should trust you to be a competent leader if Fara has found you worthy to follow.” Rissa bowed gracefully. “And… you may call me Rissa, hir nin.”

Ivor laughed slightly at the brazenness of the newest member to the party. “Indeed, I should hope that I may measure up to your standards, hiril nín.”

Ivor shot Fara a mocking glance, but Fara only rolled his eyes. He knew Rissa, and she sometimes had a hard time when meeting new people. She smiled widely, her plain, pure, beautiful smile, and Ivor seemed to understand.

“Ivor, if you don’t mind my saying so, I would like to be placed near the center of the valley. Our defenses must not break. I do not think we need to worry about being flanked by these Orcs, especially when they do not even know we are here. But the center will most likely be struck hardest.” Fara suggested.

Ivor nodded slowly, then glanced at Rissa, and back to Fara. “Might I have a word with you, mellon nín?” Fara looked to Marissa. “I shall care for the horses, my love.” Fara nodded and followed Ivor for a short distance.

“What is it that troubles you, mellon nin?” Fara asked concerned.

Ivor lowered his voice to avoid stray ears. “Fara, wouldn’t you rather that Rissa were out of the middle of the fray? Surely there must be a safer place for her.”

Fara shook his head and smiled. “Gon Ivorcheneb, you underestimate the opposite gender. No, Marissa shall fight by my side.” He looked over Ivor’s shoulder toward his love and smiled. “Trust me, mellon nín, she can handle her own.” Fara winked to Ivor. “Is that all?”

Ivor opened his mouth as though he would speak, yet something held him back, perhaps a tumultuous sea of feelings. Whatever it was, Fara understood and took his leave. He placed a hand on the Captain’s shoulder as he passed him by. He leaned a bit closer and whispered, “Do not suffocate her, I made that same mistake once before.” He smiled as he remembered his courtship of Marissa. “Trust in her and if it is meant to be, she shall come to you.”

Fara left Ivor alone, though once he had said thusly, he regretted his own words. It was not his place to question Ivor’s actions, nor was it his place to make assumptions. It was too late though, the assumptions were made and the words said, and they could not be taken back. He reminded himself of his Father, and remembered his father’s words of advice regarding his own courtship. They were surprisingly to the same tune as Fara’s were to Ivor. Fara cringed at the thought, as he remembered how much he wished his father would just leave him be, but then again, his father was a good man and only wanted to help Fara in the only way he knew how. He and stopped briefly to turn to look back at Ivor. The fair-haired elf was staring off to the side. Fara followed his gaze, not surprised to find Saida as its target. Fara sighed, though he knew in time Ivor would have to confront his emotions.

He returned to Rissa to find she had already tethered the horses in the designated area, far enough behind the ‘ambush’ so that they would not give their position away to the Orcs. Fara stopped and watched her every movement, studying every curve of her sinewy body. She looked up and saw him standing there, staring at her. Her smile lit the distance between them as she gracefully began to walk toward him. When she grew near, she raised her arms around his neck and placed a gentle, yet passionate kiss upon his lips. Fara smiled down at her.

“We should prepare for the battle to come.”

Rissa smirked and shook her head mockingly, “Just like you, always putting work before pleasure.” Fara laughed and tickled her sides roughly. She let out a sharp laugh. When she looked about, she found they had gained a small audience and playfully slapped Fara on the shoulder.

“Come now, hir nín. The battle is at hand, no time for such foolishness.” She turned quickly and began to walk away, taking her place next to another Elven warrior, the one Fara had been sparring with when she arrived.

“I’ll get you my pretty.” A blushing Fara hissed as she walked away, which only made her smile broaden.

Fara took a position next to Rissa. He looked past her at Fae. “Where are my manners? Rissa, this is Faevathor.” He motioned to Fae, “Faevathor, Rissa. Fae has proven to be a worthy adversary.” Fara paused and his smile faded to a look of seriousness. “Yet an even better friend.”

Something seemed to be bothering Fae, yet Fara knew now was not yet the time to ask about it. “Mae govannen, Hîr nín.” Marissa nodded to Fae, breaking the uncomfortable silence. “If Fara likes you, then so do I.”

Fara was relieved to see Rissa was beginning to grow more at ease. Moments later, one of Ohtar’s men, whom Fara was regretful to not know his name, took his place behind them. Fara noticed the uneasiness in Rissa’s stature. He reached down and took her hand. Leaning closer, he whispered, “These men can be trusted as our own. In time, you shall see.”

Marissa managed a smile, though Fara could tell she still did not fully believe him, perhaps she did not want to either. As he held her hand, Fara felt something cold and hard against the back of his hand. He looked down to see the curved bronze hilt of Rissa’s blade. He knew Rissa was well-versed in the art of swordplay, he had taught her, but he was still concerned for her, the same concern he knew Ivor felt about Saida.

Night soon covered the land in a shroud of dark obscurity. Anticipation mounted among the party, filling the air with an uneasy vibration. It seemed as though every hand rested upon a weapon. Fara and Rissa had their bows readied, an arrow notched into the string. Every pair of eyes stared into the darkness, searching for the enemy that was out there; close enough now that their stench burnt Fara’s nostrils.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 12:56
Fae watched as Ohtar urged his horse off to the right to explore a small series of hills. Ivorcheneb smiled and turned to look at him. "Holding up?" he asked his friend gently. Fae nodded, but again, couldn’t seem to reply, but knew his friend understood. And then the Edain Captain returned.

Ivorcheneb's smile grew and he nodded. The two ellyn followed Ohtar up the smaller of the two hills and surveyed the area. Indeed, it was a perfect defensible position. The three dismounted their horses to take a better look about the grass-covered knolls. Ivor placed a hand upon Ohtar’s shoulder and smiled. “Well done my friend!” he said. “This place definitely has possibilities!” he teased.

A small smile graced Faevathor’s face at Ohtar’s response to Ivor’s ribbing. It would seem the two captains were becoming full partners – which was exactly what was needed before a battle.

A brisk wind blew and Fae turned to look out into the distance. “Angol rîn!... As noston ne gwilith (Their stench!... I smell it upon the air),” he said, wrinkling his nose in disgust.

Ivorcheneb nodded, clearly alarmed. “Hain ú-chae! {They [are] not-far}” he replied.

“What do you sense?” Ohtar asked urgently as Mithfaer, Celeg, and his own mount became restless.

“It is the Orc-host… We can smell them,” Ivorcheneb replied, and both elves began trying to calm their mounts.

The man nodded, his eyes shown with anticipation for the battle. “How long?” he asked the ellyn. “They will probably arrive just after nightfall,” Fae replied.

Ohtar smiled humorlessly and his eyes narrowed icily as he mounted his horse. “Ah!” he said, only a hint of sarcasm touched his voice. “Then we have plenty of time!” He spurred his mount down the hill and began shouting orders to his men. Fae and Ivor looked at one another for a moment, then they both burst into laughter. “I almost pity the orcs!” Ivor joked. “Yes…” Fae replied as he watched Ohtar commanding the movements of his men. “We are lucky to have him on our side!”

Súlfalas met Fae and Ivor as they reached the bottom of the hill and they informed him that the enemy was near. Scanning the surrounding area and observing the manner in which Ohtar was dividing his men, Ivor began sending specific Elven warriors to be dispersed throughout the groups of the Númenorean soldiers. Súl raised an eyebrow questioningly and Ivorcheneb smiled. “If we are to fight side-by-side before the Black Gates, they may as well grow accustomed to it before we arrive there,” the Elven Captain replied, and Faevathor, within himself agreed. They needed to fight as one cohsesive unit!

Silently the elven-warrior took the place Ivor indicated, but then winced inwardly when Faramond and his elleth joined him. “Where are my manners? Rissa, this is Faevathor.” Fara said, and motioned to Fae, “Faevathor, Rissa. Fae has proven to be a worthy adversary.” Fara paused and his smile faded to a look of seriousness. “Yet an even better friend.” And, although Fae felt the same way about his fellow-warrior, it was agony to know again...

“Mae govannen, Hîr nín.” Marissa nodded to him, breaking the uncomfortable silence. “If Fara likes you, then so do I.” “Le suilannon,” he replied, but couldn’t quite meet her gaze – or Fara’s. Desperately trying to keep his grief under control, Faevathor began observing the various men around him. He nodded at one – the warrior who had been sent with Súl. “I am Faevathor,” he said quietly. “Aervon,” the man responded, and then hesitated. “Are you all right?” Fighting back the urge to snap at the question, the ellon replied, “I will be – soon.” And, in the rage of his heart, Faevathor knew it wouldn’t be soon enough as he notched an arrow.

Closer and closer their enemy came, until, finally when they were close enough, the elven warrior loosened his sword in its scabbard so it would be ready when needed. Then Fae pulled back on the bowstring, holding steady. With his dark eyes gleaming in anticipation, Fae waited for the command to attack. He, for one, was MORE than ready!

Aervon swept the horizon, straining his eyes for any hint of their enemy. Suddenly, Súlfalas let out an oath. “There!” and he pointed off into the distance. Although the man could see nothing, he knew better than to question the elven-eyesight. Nodding sharply, he spurred his horse after the elf, and winced internally as his horse fell quickly behind. Such mounts these elves had! he thought, as he finally pulled to a stop and dismounted.

He was quite surprised to see both his captain and the elven one interspersing elves with the men of their band. Oh well, perhaps it would be a good thing, and then found himself close to the two who had been sparring, and suddenly felt relieved. These elves he knew were good fighters, and as they prepared to meet the coming enemy, hoped that he would meet their expectations.

One of the elven-warriors, however, seemed a bit preoccupied with that newest elleth who had joined their group, and Aervon looked away quickly. Trouble, that’s all women were in battle! he fumed. And then, he took a closer look at the dark-haired elf. And although, the ellon was polite enough to introduce himself, the look on his face was almost… dangerous.

When the elven-warrior readied his bow, Aervon and the other men unsheathed their swordsl. Tension flowed through the man as he waited – and wondered if the three new ‘recruits’ would, indeed, prove themselves worthy of being under Captain Ohtar’s command.

[Edited on 24/3/2004 by gwendeth]Image

[Edited on 24/3/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 24/3/2004 by gwendeth]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 05:24
(( OOC: This is Nifredil's post that she e-mailed me... ))

Ohtar slid his gaze over his men. Some of them he had led into a battle before and knew what they could do, the others were still strangers to him. He wished he had had more time to train them and to get to know their personalities as well as their abilities and weaknesses. Which ones were quicker in battle? And which ones were more cunning and inventive? Were there men with the abilities of a leader among them who could be put in charge? And, what was even more important - the men didn't know him as a commander, they didn't trust him with their lives.

Well, then this would be the battle where they got to know each other.

Ohtar quickly informed them about the situation - he hated to keep his warriors ignorant, that only lessened their trust. He split his men in four groups, two or three in each one and pointed out the places they were to take. Ohtar sent Vanrick to command the group that was to take the main attack in the middle, sent two groups to protect the flanks and took the fourth with him down in the trench between the hills. There they lay down hiding behind the bushes. Ohtar watched Captain Ivorcheneb dispersing his warriors among Ohtar's men, and again marveled at the Elven Captain's knowledge. He had noticed the weakest spots and directed his fighters there. Ohtar frowned at seeing women in their lines. How could a man fight an enemy when having to watch the women every moment? And to win a fight one had to pay his full attention to it, and not on anythig else. His eyes followed Cirya. He hoped there would be some decent fighter at her side to keep an eye on the elleth. He could not afford it himself. At least in his own group there were no women.

It was getting dark very quickly. Captain Ivorcheneb remained with the main party. Good, they needed a real commander. Two elves, however, joined Ohtar and his three men. The Edain Captain greeted them with a nod.

"They are coming," whispered one of the elves, smelling the air with disgust. Ohtar caught a slight stench in the air. Yes, they were coming indeed.

A black arrow hit the ground right behind them.

"Lay down!" Ohtar hissed and his small party pressed in the soft damp ground. Their clothes were already wet, but there was cold coming from the soil. Ohtar felt shivers running down his spine. He hoped that the enemy wouldn't make them wait too long.

The orcs had decided to use the darkness in their attack. Being only a small scouting party, they didn't rely on their numbers too much, more on their smell and night-vision that would help them find their enemies in the dark. The night was coming, and so were the orcs.

A yell was followed by a small cloud of black arrows that didn't hit anybody. They were meant only to frighten the elves and the men. The orc host advanced, still shooting. Ohtar carefully looked over the edge and felt one of the men stir.

"Wait for my command," he said in a low voice, holding his sword-hilt, and noticed the elves exchanging glances. "You too," he glared at them, until they nodded. The arrows continued flying over their heads, making them wonder whether they hit anybody from their friends, but they didn't dare to turn their heads to look.

And then, with a roar, the orcs were there. Ohtar waited until they were so close he could hear the bushes breaking beneath them, then jumped up with a battle call. His group followed the Captain's lead and engaged in a fierce battle. The orcs thet were running first were too surprised to show a serious resistance and easily fell, but the ones that followed them were already prepared and attacked fiercely, angry about the loss of their comrades. The blades clashed and mighty blows were exchanged.

"Retreat to the main group!" Ohtar yelled. This was no suicide mission he was making! Slowly, step by step, they moved backwards. Seeing two orcs overcoming one of his men that was already wounded, Ohtar delivered a quick blow to the ugly head of the orc he was fighting and rushed to the man's aid. He knew he would expect an attack from the back. With a relief, he noticed the shining blade of Fae by his side. The main group had reached them!

Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 11:36
The battle fell upon them as quick and fierce as did the darkness. Ivor had no time to marvel at how fast the light had faded, though he did notice how unnaturally swift the night had fallen. The blackness hung thickly all about them as the orcs came. The tall Captain of the Elves drew Acharn and, in one fluid motion, removed the head of the nearest Orc. A hail of black arrows landed at his feet and he watched as Gon Ohtar ordered the warriors in his company to lie down flat. “Leitho! {release}” he called to the Elven archers who were positioned half-way up the slope. Just as Gon Ohtar leapt up, leading his company into the fray, several of the horrid creatures which surrounded them fell to the Elven arrows.

“Draw your swords!” Ivor called to the mixed group of Elves and Men who had gathered about him. Ohtar and his warriors fought fiercely, but were in danger of being overrun. Just as the Captain of the Edain called his retreat, Ivor led his men forward, thankful to see Fae’s gleaming blade at Ohtar’s side. And, just as Faramond had assured him, the elleth, Marissa, was proving to be as deadly as she was beautiful.

The warriors led by Ivor moved forward to join Ohtar’s group just as those gathered upon either side of the opposing hill moved in to flank the company of orcs. The enemy had been herded into the small ravine which ran between the two knolls, and now there was no escape for them. As the companies closed in upon the creatures, coming together at the central point, Ivor caught a glimpse of Saida. Just as had been promised, Súlfalas was at her side, as was her cousin, Caun. Raising Acharn again, Ivor sank the sword halfway to its hilt in the flesh of an enemy who had rushed forth blindly, desperate to escape the battle with his life.

As the battle ended, the last of the orcs dying with high-pitched cries, the Elven Captain watched the Edain warriors smile and cry out in triumph. It was the always the same. Though he agreed to fight to protect his King and homeland from the growing darkness, each enemy slain left a wound upon Ivor’s soul. He stood and looked about, wiping the gore from Acharn’s blade with a stray piece of cloth. A sad, far-away look settled in his crystal eyes, and a great heaviness grew in his heart.

As he sheathed his sword, Ivor uttered a deep, tremulous sigh… for he knew this would be nothing compared to the battle which lay ahead.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email