Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
merry2
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Favorite LOTR Weapon
on: October 06, 2003 01:28
What is your favorite weapon in Lord of the Rings? Mine is probably sting or the magic staff that Gandalf has. Legolas has a cool bow too.

**Mod Note: Thread title edited by Goldsand for clarification

[Edited on 5/9/2005 by Goldsand]
Nimrochben
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite LOTR Weapon
on: October 06, 2003 02:10
Hmmm..probably Andruil, the sword reforged! lol
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: October 06, 2003 03:22
Haldir's bow and arrows. His sword is pretty cool too
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: October 06, 2003 03:32
I think I like Sting the best, because my favorite character is Frodo!
Burzlondewen
Realm Head of Tulkas
Send Message
on: October 06, 2003 05:10
my favorites are sting and the rangers of Ithilien bow.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: October 06, 2003 08:20
Legolas's knives are cool- they look the easiest to us out of all of the weapons. Or at least the easiest to lift!
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 01:27
Hadhafang, no doubt!:love: But in the book it has to be Sting. Leglolas' knives are very beautiful too, but you don't get to read or see much of them.
Macilie~Undomiel
Númenor Obsessed
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 02:45
Well...definitely Arwen's sword!! It's so beautiful, and fitting for an Elvish maiden Legolas's two knives are also very nice
Celebroch
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 03:19
Anduril is beatuiful. I find the fact that its maker was able to balance it with a hollow pommle was AMAZING!
otherwise... All the Elven swords. Glamdring, then Hadhafang, then probably Sting.
The bows were beautiful, as well. My favorite this time is Legolas's Mirkwood bow.
I prefer the knife that Celeborn gives to Aragorn over Legolas's knives. It's :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

~--^
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 07:12
I would have to say Anduril. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because there's so much history behind it. Also Aeglos, the weapon of Gil-Galad.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 03:03
My favorite weapon is The Ring. It is lightweight and fits in a pocket. It is most powerful, controlling other rings, people and beings. And it makes you invisible. What more could you ask for? To me, it is the ultimate weapon!
Tanquessiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 03:07
Glamdring BY FAR. I dunno why, but even though it's simple it's still way pretty. Second would be Legolas' knives probably, then Sting if it was a full size sword. I would like Hadhfang, but Arwen has no right at all to have it, so there you go.
*daydreams about Glamdring*:drool:
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 04:13
Well, I like archery, not that I'm any good:blush:, so I'd have to say Legolas' bow.
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
InsaneSorcerousOfFangorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 04:30
Well, I don't think my favourite weapon is in any of the LOTR movies but its the SYTHE! You know the thing the grim reaper uses.
Arwen1858
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 07:25
Well, I like archery, and even have a bow, so I'd have to say Legolas' bow. Arwen's sword Hadhafang is my other favorite. I'd carry both a sword and a bow. The bow would be good for fighting at a distance, but a sword would be better for fighting enemies up close.
Arwen Undomiel
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 02:43
Without a doubt, I would have to say my favorite weapon, although I would not personally wield it, would have to be Anglachel. It was forged by the Dark Elf Eol from extra-terrestrial matter. How cool is that? Although it is true that it was evil in nature :evil:, and it did kill one of my favorite characters (Beleg ), that is why I would never wield it, but it is fascinating.

I guess if I had to choose a weapon to wield, it would be Sting. It's small and lightwieght (so I should be strong enough to wield it ), but also packs a punch and comes with its own built-in Orc alarm. I would aslo carry an Elven bow. I enjoy archery, it's so relaxing and I'd much rather pick off my enemies from a distance than have to resort to melee attacks.

[Edited on 8/10/2003 by maeghin]
Nimrochben
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 07:38
Oh, I also like Gondor longbows and Aeglos.
TorechUngol
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 08:44
I like them all! I think my favorite would be between Aragorns knife, Hadhafang, Sting, or Legolas's knives.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 09:20
Well I think my weapon of choise would be the walloping pan as wielded by Sam, especially as it is so versitile.

But also I would choose sting as it is the right sized weapon for a Hobbit such as myself.
Nydamwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2003 08:50
Anduril is pretty groovy-I like the 2 handed handle and the fact that it has an interesting past. I'm going to see it tomorrow(I hope!)at the London Science Museum's LotR exhibition!!Yay!!!
I also want a bow that the Rangers of Ithilien have...it can double as a walking stick.I wants to start archery and fencing is probably the closest I'll get to sword fighting!
haldir_of_lorien
King of the Dead
Send Message
on: October 09, 2003 01:19
I really like Aragorn's sword that he has before he reforges Anduril. It is plain, yes, but it is also a very sturdy and competent weapon.

~Haldir
Laswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 02:29
Hmmm...I must say, Arwen's sword would be the easiest for me to use...I like the streamlined style, It's like a Japanese bokken/katana, and once you use one of those, you never want to touch one of those heavy straight European-style swords again. But they also are more-well-dangerous. I mean all swords are dangerous but ones like Aragorn's are desighned for long, drawn out combat, while swords like Arwen's are designed for one-hit, one-kill usage. Yes, I am obsessed with swordfighting. Excuse my rambling. Bye!
falather
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 02:00
Sting! I am on the short side and would look rather strange fighting with a weapon that comes up to my nose, so it's about the only one I could use. And I like the whole "glows blue when orcs are near" thing!
Naira
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 10:58
I really favor the bow and arrow. I long bow of the Mirkwood, but the Caras Galadheon short bow is nice too, just not my favorite. For melee, I love Hadhafang. The form and artistry of it is perfect for an elven woman. Maegnas isn't bad in the way of short swords, the glowing blade is a handy feature. :love:
olly_freeman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2003 07:13
Sorry I've gotta go with Andúril. I mean, having read the books, it symbolises so much, and I feel it is to Aragorn what the ring is to Sauron (ish), and once Aragorn (with Andúril) looks into the Palantír, he really scares and provokes the big bad boss into a rash move without which....you know what I'm getting at if you have read the book (don't want to spoil it for non-readers)

Olly

ps. has anyone here ever bought/ considered buying one of the official replicas of the weapons? Are they worth it?
Gwenhwyfar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2003 09:09
Arwen's sword (is that Hadhafang?) really is beautiful. But the orc-alarm of sting is certainly a nice feature. Of course, Glamdring is supposed to have the alarm too, but they must have disabled it for the film for some reason.

But no one has mentioned Gimli's axes! They really are quite beautiful, and amazingly intricate.
Aranel_Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2003 04:43
I like Legolas' bow that he got from Galadriel. I also really like the swords he uses as he can use two at once, that is a skill not many swordspeople can do, it is hard not to use your dominant hand. I also like Arwen's sword. The elven swords are works of art as well as being practical.
WraithQueen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2003 03:28
It seems that mine is the one that no one here has yet mentioned..... The sword of the Witchking of Angmar!
Two handed swords are great as they really pack a punch and if you're feeling annoyed.. Swipe! ... and someone's head is on the floor. In fact, I like it so much that I have a replica of it hanging above my bed.
Oh, and I have a replica of Sting as well.....
Hundhur
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2003 05:56
Mine would is the sword and bow of the elves in TTT.
Lysistrata
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2003 05:14
My first love (inspired by the books) was Glamdring. After I saw the FotR movie, I fell in love with Hadhafang. I've recently developed an appreciation for the White Knives, and I'm certainly not beyond admiring the sword Aragorn is using throughout the FotR (and TTT? didn't notice) movie.
z
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 08:32
I'd have to go with the elvish blades and bows from TTT. I've always liked single bladed weapons and flashy bows.
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: December 02, 2003 12:33
All of the weapons created by WETA were incredible. As for the type of weapon I would personally choose - I would have to go with something such as Boromir's sword and a buckler. Just a nice style of fighting IMO

It's like a Japanese bokken/katana, and once you use one of those, you never want to touch one of those heavy straight European-style swords again.

heavy? No they are not really that heavy, and they are balanced beautifully. Powerful weapons IMO.

But they also are more-well-dangerous. ... ones like Aragorn's are desighned for long, drawn out combat, while swords like Arwen's are designed for one-hit, one-kill usage.

As for being more dangerous, I have to heartily disagree . Who can say how "long of a fight" varieties of weapons were designed for? It's practically impossible. _Any_ fighting style focuses on the one hit one kill aspect (so long as it is an actual _fighting style_ meant for killing and not a game such a many martial arts these days). The only reason one might consider japanese weapons to be more "dangerous" or for "one hit one kill" usage is due to the armor of the various time periods. Japanese armor may look pretty cool but its usually composed of nothing more than metal strips mounted to wood - a far far less protective style of armor - hence the focus on one hit one kill (as thats all you get!). One I suppose could argue that the shape of the weapon allows deeper cuts. This is very true, but when it comes right down to it, a razor sharp weapon smashing into you is not going to make your day regardless of its shape

[Edited on 12/2/2003 by Gildor-Inglorion]
Aruin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2003 11:01
Im totally with Gildor here.

I train with swords at least once a week.
Light swords such as katana and very much like the elven Blades used by the elves @ the beginning of FotR are designed for slicing rather than hacking/parrying like Aragorn's sword.

There are few blades that are used for all-round fighting styles but a few weapons used in pairs are employed for this use such as Hunting knives,
Possibly one of the hardest of weapons to master but also quite quick to pick up the basics of.

A standard straight sword such as Aragorn's is designed to Both has a razor edge but the ability not to shatter when parrying a blow.

A lot of people look at something like sting and think of one use of being a stabbing weapon.
Although this is somewhat true you would have great difficulties in stabbing something living with it as a blood grove is needed (see most human swords in LotR movies)
The blood grove stops the wound causing a vacuum around the blade and mack it a tough job to remove the blade.
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: December 06, 2003 01:00
Well, I'll be the first person to say a weapon which I don't think actually appears in the movie, or at least only for a fraction of a second: Isildur's sword. I found it on the FOTR:EE the other day and it is possibly the most beautiful weapon ever made. If you've got the EE, check it out in the design galleries.

Also, I've had a thing about archers since I first saw the Disney version of Robin Hood, and so in deference to that I have to say I love the Ithilien bows too!

Kiss
Ranger_of_the_Wild
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2003 01:13
My favourite weapon are the white knives of legolas and also Aunduril sword of gondor is fantastic i will be purchasing replicas of both these swords but all the weapons in lord of the rings are fantastic and so well designed.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email