Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
tsproffitt
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Favorite Tolkien Artist
on: October 11, 2003 08:21
Who is your favorite Tolkien artist and why? I like Ted Nasmith the best, I think its because his art just fits well with the books.

[Edited on 9/1/2004 by tsproffitt]
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite Tolkien Artist
on: October 11, 2003 08:41
Well, I really Tolkien's own work

But apart from that ... Ted Nasmith for the Silmarillion; Alan Lee for atmosphere and elfy-ness, John Howe for volcanoes, dragons and balrogs, and Quinton Hoover for all round coolness....
merry2
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 08:47
John Howe and Tolkein.
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 09:50
Alan Lee is amazing. I also admire Anke Eissmann's watercolor paintings.

Peace~
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 10:00
There's a lot of individual works I like, but not one artist that comes to minds immediately, except of course John Howe.

I really like Garland, because of his beautiful backgrounds and extremely beautiful compositions: just take a look at his Ëarendil and Elwing.

I also like David Wyatt, especially this one of Éowyn and the Witch King. And of course Tim Kirk: it's a bit fairytale like, but I really like his style and the colours he uses.

As for individual paintings or illustrations, here are a few of my favourites:
- Aragorn leading the Dead to the Stone of Erech by Inger Edelfelt

- Another Daughter Of the River King (Goldberry) by Michael Green

- Flying With the Eagles by Michael Hague

- Éowyn by Kaluta (don't ask me why)

- On the Bridge Of Khazad-dûm by Aleksandr Kortich (this is a very strange artist, but I do like his work)

- The White Council discusses Gollum by Alan Lee

- Bilbo by Peter Green

- Moria Gate by Lode Claes

- Gollum by Frank Frazetta

- Dol Guldur by Radu Gaciu

- The Hidden Way by Maccari

- Dawn Over Mindolluin by Spazzapan

and my all-time favourite: Bilbo's Great Adventure by David E. Alter Jr.

oh, and when you stop by in the Invited Artists Gallery, please visit Catherine Karina Chmiel
atalante_star
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 10:31
I'd forgotten that picture by David Alter - I *love* it - isn't it Just Fantastic?
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 02:11
Oh my gosh..there are just so many good ones, I could never choose.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 07:09
well its a toss up between nasmith and howe... i adore the most recent ones ive been posting by howe, of hte people of middle earth- lots of them are used in the random block and they are simply fantastic. but then i love nasmiths talent for scenery and light!!

figwit you mentioned several of my faves by other artists... such as earendil and elwing by garland (incredible!!) and some of edelfeldts work... with faces especially. its very good.

im also a fan of rob alexander as an artist and i like paul gregories picture of ungolient.
Neneithel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 07:17
but then i love nasmiths talent for scenery and light!!

No-one does water quite like he does (his picture of the Falls of Rauros is incredible). I like him and John Howe. I also like Tolkien's pictures. He may not be as good an artist as he is a writer, but there is something special about his pictures.

Neneithel
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 04:11
I've had this poster by Cauty on display for more than 25 years now. It is now my favorite.
Though thay are often cartoonish, I've also had a strong attaction over the years to The brothers Hildebrant and their interpretations of Middle-Earth.
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 09:30
John Howe is my favorite but Alan Lee is a very close second.

My favorites of John Howe's are:
Gandalf the Grey
A Hobbit Dwelling (the hallway and open door of Bag End)
At the Ford
Legolas and Gimli
The Grey Havens
Gandalf and the Balrog

The Harper Collins "The Art of ......" books for each movie are a great collection of works by the various artists, including John Howe and Alan Lee, who worked on the films.
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 10:02
I've also had a strong attaction over the years to The brothers Hildebrant and their interpretations of Middle-Earth.

No kidding, PbHf? My sister likes them too, but then she hasn't read the books. I like their style, but I always cringe when I see what they made of Gollum and the verious Robin Hood-inspired men
Londe
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 01:20
I agree with k. I like both Howe and Nasmith's work. Nasmith has a lovely interpretation of Galadriel and I love his scenery. (Fangorn Forest was wonderful!)

i adore the most recent ones ive been posting by howe, of hte people of middle earth- lots of them are used in the random block and they are simply fantastic.

I completely agree, k. I love his pictures of Bag End and the White Towers.

[Edited on 16/10/2003 by Londe]
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 04:50
Oohh... so hard to choose....
But if it came down to it, I'd have to say John Howe. Not only because he's absolutely amazing, but also because on his website (which is stunning) he actually takes time to talk to members of the forum. John is wonderful, because he answers any questions you have. He's very gracious and he has a wonderful sense of humor!

Sorry that the whole post was pretty much a John Howe advertisement...
atalante_star
Send Message
on: October 18, 2003 12:35
he he - yes, it's a brilliant site - I spend far too much time there
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 23, 2003 04:34
I was just out in the Gallery and came across Govar's Gallery - I almost forgot about him
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: October 23, 2003 06:08
ooh yes.. gosh its not a very popular gallery is it. what a shame.

its a shame we cant host more of his pictures though

Figwit
Send Message
on: October 24, 2003 07:11
its a shame we cant host more of his pictures though

aren't there any more...?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: October 24, 2003 07:16
no theres alot more.. but since they are very integrated with his own website (there and back again) he would rather we didnt take the images without permission if that makes sense
Lilas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2003 01:55
I wish i had just a little bit of tallent with any kind of art! I just love to look at artwork!
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 24, 2003 10:48
no theres alot more.. but since they are very integrated with his own website (there and back again) he would rather we didnt take the images without permission if that makes sense

and if we asked him very politely?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: October 28, 2003 07:00
have you ever known elen not to ask very politely?

we have some at least so people can see his art and if they like it, look for more elsewhere. which is the point of the gallery i guess
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 29, 2003 09:00

oh well, at least we have plenty of Bakshi
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 07:54
One of my all-time favorites is Tim Kirk--his Gandalf is the best one I ever saw, and I'm just rapturous over his interpretation of Smaug. Also, I got to meet and chat with him at length at the Into the West party last week, and saw those two paintings up close and personal--what a thrill! He also drew a wonderful pic of Aragorn facing down the King of the Dead in a retrospective book of his work I bought.

I'd love to see Kirk do another calendar. Naismith's are all right; he does landscapes just fine, but I don't care much for his depiction of faces.
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 03:27
John Howe - all the way!!! :love:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 06:41
My favourites are from a newer generation of Tolkien artists: Catherine K. Chmiel and Jenny Dolfen - I just love their Fëanorians, and Chmiel's portrayals of Boromir and Faramir are very much like I have imagined those characters. Anke Eissmann isn't bad either, especially her newer works, although I'm not too fond of her style.
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 06:32
My favourites are from a newer generation of Tolkien artists: Catherine K. Chmiel and Jenny Dolfen - I just love their Fëanorians, and Chmiel's portrayals of Boromir and Faramir are very much like I have imagined those characters. Anke Eissmann isn't bad either, especially her newer works, although I'm not too fond of her style.

Hey, Morwinyoniel - I totally agree with your choices! Those are my favorites as well. I love, love, love the way Dolfen draws Maedhros and Maglor. :love: And Chmiel's Boromir and Faramir are the BEST! Especially her Boromir - he's simply perfect! :love:
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 10:12
Anyone have a fav LOTR artist? Mine is Anke Eissmen. I love how he uses water color in his art, it really brightensit up, even in dreary scenes, like the Death of Beleg in the Invited Arts section. Any others?

Mod Note - moved this to an existing thread

[Edited on 7/1/2005 by Goldsand]
Eruvyreth_Himiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 10:16
I adore Paul Lasaine's concept art for Lothlorien, and I'd love to get prints or some high-res digital files, but no one knows him. I saw the actual paintings at the Sydney exhibition, and fell in love with them.
Other than that I love Jenny Dolfen's watercolours.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 10:20
I love Ebe Kastein's work, especially her portraits of Frodo and some of the other hobbits. They have kind of a Renaissance-y look to them. Elves aren't my thing, but she does great elves, too. I had the privilege of corresponding with her a while ago and she is also very, very nice!
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 10:20
I'm also a fan of Ebe Kastein's work. Very talented lady! And while I don't think Jonathan Earl Bowser paints specifically for Lord of the Rings, many of his works remind me of the Vala. I absolutely adore his work!
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 10:30
Hi Myusernamerulea ... your question brought me to rescue an old thread in the GDI. I've moved your post and the subsequent ones to this thread, as it has some great info (especially on the lesser known Tolkien artists) and links to their art.

Have some favorites to post later ... .

[Edited on 7/2/2005 by Goldsand]
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 11:24
I have always been amazed at Daniel Falconer from Weta Workshops work, especially because he's so young a guy and he does some really beautiful artwork. (actually that goes for all the designers at Weta...) Aside from that, Ted Nasmith is a great one, as well as (surprise, surprise) John howe and alan lee. I loved Mr. Howes artwork and I wrote to him *trying not to brag, trying not to brag* and, for those who didn't already hear me say it, he wrote back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was really awesome how he actually took time to write back to fans (he said he gets a few dozen a month) with a pen, instead of just typing it on the computer. He also sketched me a pic of Gandalf, and autogrpahed it for me:love::love:
I've tried writing or e-mailing Alan Lee, but I never got around to it, and I vaugely remember on Johns website saying Alan didn't have a e-mail address or a fanmail one that he could give out, or something like that. Ok, I'll stop rambling... *edit* I forgot to mention Paul Lasine, and Jeremy Bennet.

[Edited on 8/7/2005 by newsgirl]

[Edited on 1/21/2006 by Goldsand]
Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2005 08:51
John Howe, of coursel I have two color prints, shamelessly swiped from some web site, hanging on my wall...

Ulmo and Turin is one and the Gray Havens is another. I'd buy big posters if I could.

But you know who else's work I just absolutely adore? Our very own Atalante Star's....and no, I'm not kissing up to her! I really, really love her heraldic devices.
ShieldMaiden777
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 10:41
Alan Lee, hands down. He has pretty much always been my favorite, I love the look of his art. The first time I saw FOTR in the theater, I just knew that mural of Isildur and Sauron in Rivendell had to be by him. My favorite after Alan--probably John Howe.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email