Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
silver_Tinuviel
Finrod's Harp
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite Tolkien Artist
on: July 22, 2005 02:02
I like very much the works of Ted Nasmith, Ivanneth (you have to see Feanor's family if you have't already!), John Howe, Alan Lee, Ebe Kastein, Jenny Dolfen, Maria and Elena Gubina... And I love Tolkien's drawings too! :love:
Image Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong/ The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,/ And all the magic and might he brought/ Of Elvenesse into his words./ Softly in the gloom they heard the birds/ Singing afar in Nargothrond,/ The sighing of the Sea beyond,/ Beyond the western world, on sand,/ On sand of pearls in Elvenland.
Lady_Joan_of_Ingatestone
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2005 04:09
Anke Eismann. Definitely. Her style is a little rough and uneven - watercolor is an infamously fickle medium, and her charcoal drawings are more polished - but no one else catches the spirit and atmosphere of Tolkien as she does. Her paintings of Faramir and of the Lay of Leithian are especially good.

For example:

Beren with Silmaril

Denethor and Faramir

My complaints? Eismann makes the human face too sharp-featured, and she makes the irises of the eyes too small, which has a way of making people look angry. Sometimes she gets proportion wrong - there is a picture of hers where Faramir's head is twice the size of Eowyn's. Not good.

But she gives a dignity to her characters that I have seen in no other artist. She keeps a kind of mythic distance while still showing the human emotions of the characters.

Edited to shorten links

[Edited on 8/4/2005 by Goldsand]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: August 04, 2005 06:57
All the Anke Eissmann fans here: There are many newer (and better!) works up on her website.

(A suggestion to the admins: Could it be possible to create a topped list of links to the most important Tolkien artists' websites? The CoE Gallery is quite good, but rather limited, and the few links in the Links section are hard to find among all the fanfic sites.)

[Edited on 4/8/2005 by Morwinyoniel]
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 11:18
Good idea Morwinyoniel ... I can start a list, although the topped threads need to be streamlined somewhat before adding another I think - as there's quite a few already lol.

[Edited on 8/6/2005 by Goldsand]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email