Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Post RE: C. S. Lewis // Chronicles of Narnia
on: June 05, 2008 02:00
I'm ashamed to say I haven't gotten around to seeing PC yet, but I intend to very soon. I've seen some very good reviews.
Imahobbitgirl2
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: June 05, 2008 03:31
I admit I went in having doubts about it, because I'd heard they "Hollywooded" it up and it hardly resembled the book at all. But I loved it!!! :love: :love: :love:

Reepicheep was perfect! He was just the way I imagined him to be! Caspian was FIIINE!!! :drool: :love: :drool:

Trumpkin, Nikabrik, and Trufflehunter were superb characters. Though it was hard for me to think of Warwick Davis as a somewhat bad guy -- well, that's what Nikabrik was -- when I'd known him from Star Wars and Harry Potter. And who played Trumpkin? I can't remember his name, but I think I saw him as one of the Oompa Loompas in Willy Wonka.

Even though there was stuff that weren't in the books, I think that, as with LOTR, they went very well with the story. I enjoyed the battle in the castle. I loved seeing Edmund take his revenge on the White Witch :evil:. I wasn't too sure about the whole Susan/Caspian relationship. Considering we'll never see Susan again and Caspian will find someone else in Dawn Treader, I didn't think it had a point. And who else, when they saw the River God guy come out of the water, was immediately thinking of Flight to the Ford and those water horses?

But I was very happy that, for the most part, it stayed with the book. If you haven't seen it yet (Aowyn ) SEE IT!!!
Alatáriël_Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2008 04:50
I watched Prince Caspian recently... anyone here has? Just want to make sure because I don't want to give away spoilers or anything (to those who haven't read the books).
I don't know why, really, but as much as I like Chronicles of Narnia, I find the story just... depressing.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 18, 2008 08:55
I think at this point I'll probably be Netflixing it, but I will get there eventually. I was never as much a CoN fanatic as LoTR, so I can wait.
I'll even bump it to the top of my queue
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: June 20, 2008 01:47
I finally got around to reading CoN and am so glad I did. I didn't realize I would enjoy the books as much as I did or I would have read them soon. I can't wait to see Prince Caspian, it looks so good. My family will be waiting until it comes out on blu ray though. We don't really care for the theaters and we have a home theater projector at home so it is very similar to the theaters just more comfortable.
Does anyone know if they are going to continue to make CoN movies? The Dawn Treader was at the top of my list for fav books and I bet that would make an excellent movie.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: June 20, 2008 02:07
I find the story just... depressing.

Ah, I'm so sorry you feel that way, Alatáriël_Telemnar! et:

Really, they aren't meant to be. There's a great deal that's *positive* in the Chronicles of Narnia - in every one of the books you see people overcoming adversity, and the strength of friendships, just to name two of them.

I absolutely loved both of the first two movies, and can't wait for Dawn Treader to come out!! :love:
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Alatáriël_Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2008 10:22
Lol, yes. The overcoming of adversities is, of course, positive but it's just the ending, The Last Battle, was it? When we found out that the family , sans Susan, actually... well... yeah. xD Maybe it was due to the fact that I read the books when I was young so that might have affected me.

Yes, I loved the movies and I loved the fact that they actually made Caspian and Susan have crushes on each other. Pity that it wasn't meant to be.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2008 07:37
What I found interesting about the movie was that they explored aspects of the characters that were not explored in the books - eg. Peter having a problem adjusting to ordinary school life after having been "High King Peter the Magnificent."
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
AlectoOfJudo
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2009 03:52
I'm really sorry, but I do not like Susan. I don't know why, but I don't. So the little romance between her and Caspian in the movie really annoyed me. The other deviations in the story line probably wouldn't have bothered me as much if that hadn't been there. But while I did like Prince Caspian, I still like Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe better.

That aside, my favorite character would have to be Edmund, once he comes to the good side again. My favorite books are probably Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Last Battle.
It always made me sad that Polly and Diggory never got married. I think they ought to have.
The last king of Narnia... was it Tirian? (It's been a long time since I've read these books) I get the impression that there is something between him and Lucy
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 21, 2009 06:01
I didn't like Susan either in PC. I thought they put too much makeup on here and made her look to gothic. (no offense to anyone, just my opinion). And I absolutly ABHORRED the romance! :angry: how could they do that!

And i agree also, In PC, my fav charcter was Edmund.

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 25, 2009 11:12
March 21st is Narnia Day (unofficial). You could have some of your Narnia friends over and that’s when you watch the movies, read one or a little bit of a chronicle, eat popcorn and other junk food (or you could eat healthy food if you feel so moved). Generally do anything Narnian!

This holiday was conspired by Narnia_Fan12 over at NarniaWeb.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2009 01:10
Hmmmm... that's interesting. I agree, romance in that kind of movie is just... well... *trails off forever*
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 25, 2009 04:41
*Loves Narnia* It was my first real fantasy that I read,I read it WAY before LotR. I've been a Narnian for quite some time,I've been a Ringer for (*gasp*) just under a year.
MereChristian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2009 01:49
Hi all. :hug:

I love the CON, and just about all things CS Lewis. I had a crisis of faith years back, and it was reading Lewis that helped ground my faith. He and Tolkien were great and visionary men, who showed that faith was logical and worthwhile; and also that fantasy could be clean and edifying to the soul. :cheers: :hug:

I bid you all adieu.
AslansElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2009 04:08
March 21st is Narnia Day (unofficial). You could have some of your Narnia friends over and that’s when you watch the movies, read one or a little bit of a chronicle, eat popcorn and other junk food (or you could eat healthy food if you feel so moved). Generally do anything Narnian!

This holiday was conspired by Narnia_Fan12 over at NarniaWeb.

How dare you steal my thunder 5 months before I know this site existed

Ive been a Narnian for 7 years and a LotR fan for around 6 months...?maybe 3? depends on what you count as reading the books, I started over christmas and quit cuz I was bored then picked it up again in May.
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: August 23, 2009 08:37
I was just sent an email that there's going to be a Narnia Exhibition at a Museum in my area this fall! I'm SO going! *squee!*

Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 23, 2009 01:26
You are sooo lucky, Merides! Nothing like that ever happens here...:cry:
MereChristian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2009 04:40
Awww. I wish I could go!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I bid you all adieu.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 03, 2009 08:57
oh ya..i heard about that Merides. And it is right there were you live...

It's real close to me too, and i might go... me and you could go together Meri!
Emeraldstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2009 07:13
I started reading Narnia after my friends told me about the books, and I love them! Before I had hardly ever heard of them. I love the movies, and I thought that the romance between Caspian and Susan was cute, but kind of sad because it doesn't work out.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: C. S. Lewis // Chronicles of Narnia
on: October 14, 2012 07:04
I LOVE Narnia too. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe movie is my favorite, but Prince Caspian was good too. I didn't really like The Dawn Treader very much because of the director switch, the way Lucy was, and the music wasn't as good. I do wish they would finish the series though.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2012 10:37
I love the Horse and His Boy book! It was just so cool. I really hope they make a good movie of it sometime.
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2012 05:55
I hope they make the rest of the Narnia movies all of them not just the ones with Susan Peter Lucy and Edmund.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2012 10:35
I love the first two Narnia movies! I don't care for The Dawn Treader much.

Show that Mordor pride!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love narnia and C.S. Lewis. I loved the first two movies, but The Dawn Treader could have been better. The acting seemed almost fake.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah I think that the first 2 movies were the most true to the books. The Dawn Treader was a little out there. The acting was weird, and it seemed like they only made it to make the Narnia movies a trilogy like LoTR. (BTW they aren't making any more Narnia movies) The first one was by far my favorite. It was the only movie out of all the movies that made Narnia feel like a real place.
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I also didnt like the way that Georgie Henley (Lucy) portrayed her character.Very differenty from the Lucy in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
So, I LOVE C.S. Lewis! He's an AMAZING author!!!! It was actually a really long time ago that i read the Chronicles of Narnia. And, now that i think about it, i dont think I've read all of them!!! O.o The movies were good until The Dawn Treader came out cuz Lucy was SO fake!
"A sprinter learning to wait."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Did anyone else notice that Ben Barnes (Caspian) only had the Telmerine accent that Caspian had in the second movie (PC) for half the film? I noticed that in the theatre...
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Yes!! I noticed that too!!! And he doesn't have it at all in The Dawn Treader!! I've loved Narnia since I was like in 3rd grade. But I kinda wandered away from it until I saw the Dawn Treader in the theater with my friend and then I went crazy and read all the books and watched all the movies!!
Image "We all change when you think about it. We're all different people all through out our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -- The 11th Doctor
Jedi Knight Elrohir Sparrow
Council Member
Send Message
CHRONICLES OF NARNIA ROCKS!!
"A time may come soon, when none will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised." --Aragorn, Return of the King, pg. 767
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I haven't read the books before, but I have heard all (or most of, at least) the Focus on the Family dramatized audiobooks, which is about the same. I think I might enjoy them more than the books...but I'll probably eventually I might read the books.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I heard a rumor that The Horse and His Boy was to be made, but I don't think it will be anymore. When Fox got it's grip on Narnia, it messed things up.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Here's the Narnia Thread. Sometimes you have to look through the long list of threads to resurrect one that already exists.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Anyone know where to get the green hunting dress Susan wore in TLTWATW? I sooooo want it, and will be willing to sew it if there isn't any replicas elsewhere

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email