Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post TTT Sequence by sequence #10: The Evenstar
on: November 06, 2003 12:21
Screen captures can be found here.

Questions of the week: this is the part with Arwen and Elrond and the flash forward. Did you like this, or did you think it was completely unnecessary? And how about Arwen floating above Aragorn, who thinks he's being kissed awake by her only to discover it's Brego? Did you like the way Galadriel tricks Elrond into sending Elves to Helm's Deep?

This is a rather small sequence, but still: which part did you prefer?
Merry and Pippin talking to Treebeard
0% (0)
Aragorn being kissed awake by Arwen
9% (5)
Aragorn being kissed awake by Brego
12% (7)
Arwen and Elrond
22% (1)
the flash forward to Aragorn's death
47% (2)
the pyshic council between Galadriel and Elrond
5% (3)
none of it
3% (2)
_Rilaisseth_
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: TTT Sequence by sequence #10: The Evenstar
on: November 06, 2003 12:28
Can I say all of it? This is one of my favourite sequences throughout the movie.

The flash forward I liked, Arwen looked so sad. When Arwen was floating above Aragorn I love piece of music they played, 'Breath Of Life'.
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 03:03
I, alsi, voted for the scene of Aragorn's death. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the Appendices. No, but really... it really emphasizes what a massive sacrifice Arwen is making for Aragorn, and it makes her seem all the more strong and determined when she still chooses to give all that up for him. Don't cha just love foreshadowing? LoL
Elfhild
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 07:36
Have to vote for the flach to Aragorns death - however I wonder: why can´t she go to the undying land when Aragorn dies? and why does she have to give up her immortality to marry him? :dizzy:
hmmm, maybe I should have read the books once more, before viewing the films..... it about 19 years ago since I´ve read them, but I wanted to wait till after RotK comes out...
:heart:
monasua
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 11:02
:cry: I voted for the scene where Arwen floats above Aragorn
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 11:57
however I wonder: why can´t she go to the undying land when Aragorn dies? and why does she have to give up her immortality to marry him?

She said that there would be no ship that would bear her across the sea once Aragorn is dead. I'm not quite sure how to elaborate on that, but I'm sure someone else will come around that will.

As for the second question, she didn't give up her immoratilty. The movies make it seem so when she gives Aragorn the Evenstar, but truely she was just committing her love to him despite their differences. She is still immortal, but Aragorn is not, and she risked being alone in Middle Earth when she made the choice to remain with him.
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 01:01
Considering I like any scene with Elrond in it! I voted for "Elrond and Arwen", I liked the fact that we finally saw his character soften just a bit as he tried to convey to his daughter what her life would be in choosing the "gift" of men instead of Elven immortality. It gives the other side of her choice for loving Aragorn, that in the end she will truly be alone and the pain it will ultimately cause everyone.

Just a question, didn't Arwen choose mortality when she "passed her grace" to Frodo at Bruinien? and then later gave Aragorn the Evenstar as token of that decision?

iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 02:37
Just a question, didn't Arwen choose mortality when she "passed her grace" to Frodo at Bruinien? and then later gave Aragorn the Evenstar as token of that decision?

LoL... i just answered that question in the post above you, but I'd be glad to do so again. She did not give up her immoratilty. The movies make it seem so when she gives Aragorn the Evenstar, but truely she was just committing her love to him despite their differences. She is still immortal, but Aragorn is not, and she risked being alone in Middle Earth when she made the choice to remain with him. That's all that was meant by that comment.
Gwenhwyfar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 05:33
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure she does give up her immortality, at least she does in the books. It happens when she marries Aragorn, she chooses to be mortal with him and then although her life is long, still, she dies a mortal death (and presumably joins Aragorn in the afterlife, rather than joining the elves in the halls of Mandos).

In the movies, it sort of seems like she is giving up her immortality when she gives Aragorn the Evenstar, but then Elrond tries to make her go to the Havens, so clearly that option is still open to her. I think Elrond is making clear that if she marries Aragorn, she will lose the Havens option, but in the movies it is not clear that she will no longer be immortal. I wonder how this whole issue is going to be handled in ROTK, or if that scene of Aragorn's death is the only hint we will get of what happens after. hmmm

Anyway, I still really loved that scene and voted it my fave.!
CailinnElanesse
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 05:42
Yes, because in the Elrond/Arwen scene, he says "You will still have to taste the bitterness of mortality"....that must mean that she gave up her immortality. But why would she have to? This has always confused me.:dizzy:
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2003 07:32
Yes, Arwen did give up her immortality. In The Tale Of Aragorn And Arwen it says: "But Arwen became as a mortal women and yet it was not her lot to die until all she had gained was lost" So it proves that she does indeed lose her immortal life but could not die until after Aragorn did.
Anyway, this isn't even what I was going to talk about. I liked the Arwen-Elrond scene bedause the flash forward was just as I imagined it from the Appendix. The Evenstar music and the Rivendell scenery were beautiful and it was one of the scenes that remained in my head as I left the cinema. All those months ago...*sigh*
snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2003 10:33
I had a hard time choosing between Arwen and Elrond, and the flash forward to Aragorn's death, but I ended up going to Arwen and Elrond. Both are extremely poignant scenes that always tug at my heartstrings, but the discussion that Arwen and Elrond have is one of the most touching parts of the film. I have a friend who doesn't like Elrond and always refers to him as "the grumpy man with the funny eyebrows" and couldn't understand why he wouldn't want Arwen to marry Aragorn. However, after I made her read the books and tried to explain about the eternal separation between the two, I made her watch that part and she just went, "Oh my God, I didn't get it before! That is so sad!" That scene really conveys the extreme sorrow that Elrond feels at the prospect of losing his daughter forever. Throughout most of the film he just seems randomly upset, but this part brings out the fact that, even if Aragorn succeeds and good triumphs, he's going to have to part from his daughter forever. That is a very strange thing as far as conventional literature goes, because there is usually the "at-least-we'll-meet-in-heaven" provision, but in the case of Arwen and Elrond there is no chance of their ever seeing each other again. It always makes me want to give Hugo Weaving a hug.
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2003 11:29
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure she does give up her immortality, at least she does in the books. It happens when she marries Aragorn, she chooses to be mortal with him and then although her life is long, still, she dies a mortal death (and presumably joins Aragorn in the afterlife, rather than joining the elves in the halls of Mandos).

Yes, Arwen did give up her immortality. In The Tale Of Aragorn And Arwen it says: "But Arwen became as a mortal women and yet it was not her lot to die until all she had gained was lost" So it proves that she does indeed lose her immortal life but could not die until after Aragorn did.

Really!? *Goes and gets her copy of ROTK* Hmm... so it does! I always thought she died from grief, while she was still immortal. You learn something new everyday, don't cha! Oh well... that is still my favorite scene.

[Edited on 11/7/2003 by iLikeLOTRaLittle2much]
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 07, 2003 11:35
I voted for Aragorn's Deathbed scene :love: i love that scene! and the music is just beautiful! one of my faves scenes of TTT
~wild_shieldmaiden~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 07, 2003 01:53
Oh my gosh... where's the beach towel??? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
*sniffle* Ok, I'm done now.
I voted for the Aragorn's death bed part... *start sobbing...* :cry: :cry: :cry:

sooo sad, but beautiful
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 08, 2003 09:38
OMG, this was a very hard one! This is my favourite sequence of the movie.

I voted for the Aragorn deathbed scene, though, because it's very beautiful. I made my cry and it also made me think a little more about Arwens fate. It's interesting, and the part of the movie is very sad. I don't like they way Elrond wants to keep Arwen away from Aragorn, and making her cry.

The Galadriel/Elrond scene is also very good, though Galadriel isn't supposed to be there. I didn't like her first, but now I realize that Cate Blanchett does a very good job with portraying Galadriel.

I like the whole thing, a I had a really hard time voting here..
monasua
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2003 09:33
Nev, I also had a hard time voting here
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2003 03:38
I like almost all of those scenes, but I chose arwen-elrond. But I'm still a little confused. After reading the book, you kind of get the feeling of envy that elves have for men becuse they can leave, die, while they remain and watch everything they love fade away. So why is it in the movie all elves want to stay immortal, and elrond hates that arwen wants to remain? And why is it in the movie when arwen departs from rivendell to the greyhavens, elrond does not go with them, and he looks mad, not that he ever smiles, but even when his daughter makes the big choice he wants for her, he still looks angry?:dizzy????

[Edited on 5/12/2003 by ladylaurien]
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 08:39
Voted for Arwen floating over Aragorn and kissing him - mostly because of the beautiful music. Loved the scene.
Carlithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 09:30
Man
Hard to choice, well I guess aragorn's death. It was so sad :cry:
I cryed to much when I saw it first.
She is so sad and so in love with Aragorn.
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 02:36
I voted for Arwen and Elrond but I really love the flash forward death scene. It always makes me cry because I know its an eternal separation.:cry: Not to mention that Arwen will indeed wonder alone in Lorien for an entire year after Aragorn's death. Poor Elrond and Celebrian. I think Hugo Weaving did an excellent job here too. Oh, and the music was so poignant.
liltëlinë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 03:55
I voted for the flashforward to Aragorn's death scene, mainly because despite how sad it was, it was so very beautiful. I admit, I cried during that scene as well :blush:
Luthien_Telperien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 06:34
I'm late chiming in on this one, but I'd have to say it's Aragorn's death scene. In part, this is because I simply wasn't expecting it - it was one of my favourite parts of the Appendices. I wish there had been some way to convey how he died, but even just knowing that made the scene that much richer. And visually, it was stunning.
mata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 02:06
that's a hard choice... I love the "Arwen floating over Aragorn" - the music is beautiful... "Arwen and Elrond" is wonderful too... but my all-time favourite remains Arwen's vision of Aragorn's death... that's so incredibly sad and for me it carries everything Tolkien had written about the passing of the elves... I mean the end of this appendix with the AA-story with Arwen dying as the last elf in ME... :sob: :sob: :sob:
ladylirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 04:40
Elrond's psychic conversation with Galadriel. And that is only because it has a clip of Faramir in it. All in all, I really didn't like Arwen's scenes in TTT, though she was definately better in ROTK.
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 03:33
that's a hard choice... I love the "Arwen floating over Aragorn" - the music is beautiful...

You know, that scene with Arwen floating over Aragorn reminds me of the part in the Tale where it said while Aragorn went forth to War, she watched over him in thought.
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2009 11:59
The flash forward to Aragorn's death.

PJ beautifully illustrated the future of Arwen and the sorrow she would face. I cry every time I watch this scene. The saddest part for me is when Arwen stands alone by Aragorn's grave and dead leaves swirl along the ground as the wind blows her veil about her tear streaked face.

I also love the music they played, The Breath of Life, when Arwen hovers over Aragorn and kisses him.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2009 10:16
I loved Aragorn's death sequence because it gives the audience a bit of an idea of the link between Middle Earth and our world. The idea of time marches on, and the ancient kings of Middle Earth are the prequel to our great kings of antiquity. Aragorn's sarcophagus looks eerily familiar to many of the medieval images we have and knight's tombs. It also wasn't explained that Arwen would die, so you had a feeling that she would wander the mortal realm forever, and is even here today in the forests somewhere.
Adeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2009 06:26
The flash forward is one of the most beautiful scenes in the whole trilogy. I love how it is filmed.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email