Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Would you accept this Gift?-keep
on: January 31, 2004 06:44
I'd NEVER want to be immortal. Not for anything. Even if it took a millenia, you would eventually run out of things to do... you will have done everything, seen everything, and felt everything. You'd be very bored--and the only thing you could never experience is death... and by the end you would so desperately want to experience that since it would be the ONLY thing you've never done!

I'm not overly eager to die though... I do wish I could extend my lifetime just a bit longer. That's why I'd love to be a Dunedain... but maybe as I grow older I'll change my mind and be glad I won't live longer than a century. I already have enough problems (physical) that I'm told will only get worse in time.
Eyborg
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 07:49
As a human, I would not want to be immortal! I've known too many old people who feel that they have lived too long, and who just want to pass on (especially if they're sick or disabled). And it also hurts seeing all your friends and loved ones die... :cry:
However, I would like to live a long and happy live, as long as I want to, and as long as I have my health and sound mind. Then I would just quietly pass on, and go to the halls of my fathers, where I would meet all my family, friends and loved ones again, and there we would be together for evermore. What more could I ask for.
If I were an elf however... dunno.
Al
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 07:31
I wanted to start this thread because death was considered the Gift to Men. Odd, isn't it, that as beings we always envy what others have?

this is one thing that has intrigued (sp?) me since i read the silmarillion, so i was thrilled to see it as a topic here. death as a gift, what a different concept! the main difference is, when men were created (in the sil) death was supossed to be like how aragorn, and the ancient kings of numenor, died. it was only considered a "doom" once men became more evil, and revolted against the valar, by going west off of numenor. i always wondered why elros chose morality, and it wasnt till i realized this concept that i understood. pretend there are 2 beings in 2 different houses, one an elf and one a man. they are under house arrest, but the elf is stuck there forever and the man can eventually get free. both have no idea what is outside. now the elf has plenty to do, but he will never get to go out into the great unknown like the man eventually will. so the elves envy the men who can move on, while the men envy the elves who dont have to take that risk.
as a christian i get a little bit of both. i know where im going, but i certainly dont know the specifics. i trust my Father to look after that for me . so its really an adventure.

there is an article on this in the book "the philosophy of lord of the rings", or something like that. yes, they actually made a book called that. but that article was actually very interesting!

oh, and to answer the question, i would certainly choose to be mortal!
frodos_favorite_girl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 06:04
I would definately be mortal. I wouldnt want to live forever in a failing world or watching everyone i love pass on. Even if i could meet new ppl to love i would always be sad because i know taht they will pass on too and i will be left here alone. I think that life would get even more pointless then it is now and with nowhere to go. No i would not choose immortality.
Lindelena
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 11:10
I could never be immortal. It would drive me mad. And I could never be an elf...like Trignifty said they shut themselves away from everything else, to wallow in their own misery. They see immortality as a curse...I don't think it's a curse, I just don't think it's right for me. I would love to be one of the Dunedain, with long life. But never immortal and never an elf. They may be fair and wise, but they are so depressed.
GeekLordAragorn12
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 11:19
Numenorean is my choice. It's a perfect situation:

Immortality to a point- only living 200-250 years, but never getting only until you hit 200. You're as good as an elf, except you get the choose your time of death; they don't. Like Aragorn. Perfect match.
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 10:18
It would be a difficult choice, but I'd pick mortality.
Take old people for example. Some that I know (grandparents, etc.) seem to spend so much time going to funerals of friends. I couldn't handle my whole life being like that. And I've seen a lot who just get sick of living, even after only 80 years or so, and they just start looking forward to death.

There's a lot to see and do in this world, but I think death is a blessing. People mourn for the deaths of friends and family, understandably, but LOTR really opened my eyes about death being a release from suffering. It is tragic when someone's life is cut short, but when someone lives a full and happy life, a peaceful death at the end seems almost like a happy ending. This world is full of suffering and grief, and having memory of all of it would be such a burden. The elves, after all, don't seem all merry all the time...they are carrying the burden of thousands of years of memory, and it would depress me too much I think. I think I would much rather live out my lifespan, short though it may be, and live a happy life, and eventually die with my friends and family...Death might seem like a scary thought, but really, I think you just have to live your life, and try to be the best person you can...and then in death you get your reward - or at least that's how I see it. So I'd be mortal.

The only thing that might make me reconsider would be Valinor - the gardens there sound so beautiful....but no, I'd be mortal.
TinaHalfelven
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 11:10
I'd choose immortality, I mean I know that Elves tire of the world and all but I think I would like to try and help and see how it all plays out. I guess that's the typical response, although a lot of you seem pleased to be mortal.

I like how Tolkien points out something a lot of people forget which is that immortality has its downfalls as well.
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 12:21
I'd choose immortality as well - which I've said ages ago in this thread already I think! I was also surprised how many people would choose mortality - it wouldn't even be a hard choice for me.

And immortality is definitely *not* the easy option - Men's fate, in the long run, is, I suspect, a lot nicer.
Dior
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 01:15
Illuvatar has given to me the Gift of Men. With that I am well content.
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2005 11:59
To live forever on earth - a curse.
I would never want to do that. Ever read Tuck Everlasting? That is a really scary life. I mean, I always wondered what elves thought of their mortality, and how much Arwen loves Aragorn enough to give that up.
But, as a christian, after death I know I'm goin to heaven - a blessing.
Strider_is_the_cats_MEOW
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2005 07:36
I would have to choose mortality. The life of the elves is so melancholic and they are burdened by the past deeds of their people. The life of the Dunedain :heart:would be great, though. Live long enough to see everything, but not long enough to tire of it.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 03:22
That's an extremely difficult question for me to answer. I've lost a parent, grandparents and friends to death. Their loss still affects me (I'm no spring chicken!). I love life and find joy in each day, though, and giving that up would be difficult. I suppose that God has things planned the way they should be. I choose mortality.

MT
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 07:33
I would accept immortality, but only if I were an Elf & had a loved one to share it with. I wouldn't accept it if I had to remain Human - I just don't think our race could ever really hack it!
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 03:16
I wouldn't accept such a gift.... I know that I would grow weary of life and watching those I came to love die, or seeing things pass out of time. I choose mortality!
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Re: Would you accept this Gift?-keep
on: June 07, 2012 08:34
*bump. This is an interesting read. Any comments? Personally, I'm old enough to find that the stupidity (as mentioned by Shastia) tells me I might be quite relieved to go when my time comes. I'm old enough too, to know that some of the stupidity has been my own.
Luthien Echileruiel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Would you accept this Gift?-keep
on: June 09, 2012 08:53
It definitely depends on the situation as some have mentioned. I can imagine quite enjoying an immortal life if I lived in Lothlorien and at some point I'd probably follow the elves west. Here on the other hand, I think one life will be plenty.
[Bilbo] used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary. "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - Frodo
Hobbits2Isengard
Council Member
Send Message
I don't think I would ever want to become immortal. It's just such an insanely long time, eventually you would really get tired of things, having seen and done everything there is to see and do. But I would enjoy having a longer lifespan than 85 human years. I've always thought the Dwarves have a decent lifespan of about 260. You get to see all there is, watch whatever changes happen in the world during that time, and when the time comes, you can go to sleep in satisfaction.
But then, I can't live for 260 years, so ... I'll just decide what to do with the time that is given to me

[Edited on 06/24/2015 by Hobbits2Isengard]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, am I the only one who would gladly live forever?

How could you get tired of doing things? There will never be an end of things to do. How could there be? Did telephones exist 1,000 years ago? Televisions? Cameras? Video Games? Computers? Cars? Disney World? Lord of the Rings? Oh my goodness, I can't even imagine the things that will be invented in the future.

There will never be an end of things to see and do and learn.

As far as loved ones dying...My father died when I was very young, I still lived on. My mother died too and I still lived. A special someone? Husband? Wife? People die. You move on. My best friend died as well and so did many pets, but I am still here. Alive. Missing them, but that is life anyway.

I have a wonderful life right now. In fact, with all the bad things, my life is joyous. I do different things everyday. I meet new people all the time. Why would I want to give that up?

I would gladly accept the gift of immortality.

Welcome to the Council of Elrond, Hobbits2Isengard. It is great to see a new member exploring the forums and resurrecting some topics that have been dormant for years.

[Edited on 06/25/2015 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I would accept this gift and become the ruler of the world! All would bow down before me!

Okay just kidding...

I would actually be happy with the gift of Men...mortality...but immortality is tempting...so is ruling the world....
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Might be a good idea to move towards immortality slowly, step-by step.
Start off with the life-span of the Dwarves, about 250 years.
See how well that can be endured, and then perhaps extend to Elros's 500 years.
Thinking back from now that would mean already being around at the time of Martin Luther's reformation in Europe - and what followed ...

Of course it would depend on the quality of life during such a lifespan.
As Goldie Hawn once quipped when she was a member of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In (January 22, 1968, to March 12, 1973, on NBC), and I am definitely paraphrasing:

"Live to be 200 years old? I don't know, who wants to be a little old lady for 140 years?"

And taking the lifespan of the Dwarves, JRRT once wrote that they were fully war-worthy at about 40 (though Dain II Ironfoot did kill Azog at the Battle of Azanulbizar in 2799 TA when he was "only" 32 - PJ, are you listening?!?), remaining so for about 200 years until they were 240, and then declining relatively rapidly up to their death at 250 (averages, of course).

OK

I currently have about 22 months of "active duty" left with my company. By Dwarven standards, I would have over 180 YEARS (!!!!!) left!

Image Image Image Image

[Edited on 07/06/2015 by Gandolorin]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email