References and Copyright
All quotes used in the biography except the following come from Carpenter’s biography of Tolkien. That volume contains all references to the original sources.
– Excerpt from Pembroke College Record taken from http://www.pmb.ox.ac.uk/pembroke_college/fellows.html
– Excerpts on Animalic, Nevbosh and Naffarin from “The Monsters and the Critics and other essays” JRR Tolkien, 1983.
– Carpenter, H. Tolkien: A Biography. Allen and Unwin, 1977.
– Carpenter, H. The Inklings: CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien, Charles Williams, and their friends. London: Allen and Unwin, 1978.
– Carpenter, H (ed.) with CR Tolkien. Letters of JRR Tolkien. George Allen and Unwin, London, 1981; reissued with new index by WG Hammon and C Scull, HarperCollins, London, 1999.
– Grotta, D. The Biography of J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle-earth. Running Press, Philadelphia, 1978; Warner Books, New York, 1979.
– Kilby, C. Tolkien and The Silmarillion. Wheaton, Illinois, 1976. Lion Publishing, Berkhamstead, Herts, 1977.
– Shippey, TA. The Road to Middle-Earth. London: Allen and Unwin: new edition London: Grafton, HarperCollins, 1992.
– Shippey, TA. JRR Tolkien: author of the century. Houghton Mifflin, 2001.
– Tolkien, JFR and PMR Tolkien. The Tolkien Family Album. London: HarperCollins, 1992.
– Tolkien, JRR. The Hobbit: or There and Back Again. George Allen and Unwin, London, 1937.
– Tolkien, JRR. The Fellowship of the Ring: being the first part of The Lord of the Rings. George Allen and Unwin, London, 1954.
– Tolkien, JRR. The Two Towers: being the second part of The Lord of the Rings. George Allen and Unwin, London, 1954.
– Tolkien, JRR. The Return of the King: being the third part of The Lord of the Rings. George Allen and Unwin, London, 1955.
– Tolkien, JRR. The Silmarillion. ed. Christopher Tolkien. George Allen and Unwin, London, 1977.
– Tolkien, JRR The Monsters and the Critics and other essays” Harper Collins, London, 1983.
Images were mainly taken from The Tolkien Family Album (@ HarperCollins) and Tolkien in Oxford.
– Pictures in Oxford College @the individual colleges.
– Picture of Stoneyhurst College @Stoneyhurst College.
– Pictures of Sarehole and other Birmingham surroundings @Birmingham Picture Library.
The Tolkien Children
No copyright violations were intended in the creation of this biography. If you find your picture used here, and wish it to be removed, please PM Atalante and the picture will be removed immediately.