Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post Concerning Fonts
on: January 15, 2004 05:01
how can i download a new font and actually get it to work? i opened it in "details" and then said "download", but nothing happened except i saved it to my computer.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
Post RE: FONTS (KEEP)
on: January 16, 2004 10:54
Once it's downloaded, copy and paste it into the file where all of your other fonts are stored.
Grey_Pilgrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 02:46
I downloaded & can use fonts. What I was wondering is:

Say for instance I typed the letters "K" "I" "N" "G" using a Sindarin font. Is what appears on the screen an accurate translation of the word "KING"? If not, is there somewhere I can find translations of English words in Sindarin writing?

Apologies if this is explained elsewhere, but I couldn't find any info on it. The reason I ask is that I want to get a tattoo in Elvish writing, I think it would look fantastic!
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 10:46
Wiw that'd be great if it did that! No, I think it just gives you the letters in the elvish font. If you want an elvish word in the elvish script, try looking the word up in the CoE dictionarys and then typing the elvish in the elvish font.
Grey_Pilgrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 11:52
Will do.

Thanks a lot, could have been embarassing if I'd got an Elvish tattoo my way, only to find out later that it said something non-sensical or completely different!
TheLadyEruanneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 09:23
When I am downloading a font it asks me what program I want to open it in. And once I choose one I can't ever get it to work. Any suggestions on how to do it? I'm not that good at this sort of thing

Thanks so much!
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 11:12
HH runs off to find some answers, check back in a few days.
LuthienLinguist
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 11:24
I was aware that you have to have a zip drive. I just save the files like normal, and I have to unzip them before I drag them over to my fonts file. This could just be my computer though.

You can download a zip drive free from the interner if you use Windows. You can get it at www.winzip.com.

\Luthien/
TheLadyEruanneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 06:27
Thanks, Luthien Linguist! That worked-now I figured out how to do it! Now I have a bunch of cool new fonts to use! yea!
LuthienLinguist
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 04:15
Glad to be of service! It took me quite a long time to figure that out as well.

\Luthien/
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 07:13
just downloaded the font "tengwar formal" to my computer, and noticed that itdoesn't havea key map :banghead:! could someone point me in the right direction orexplain how to use this font please?
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: December 01, 2006 05:00
I posted a reply in your other thread, but for specifics:

http://tengwarformal.limes.com.pl/fonts/TengwarFormal.pdf
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2006 12:32
thankyou for this. now i know which symbol each key gives you..now if i could just figure out which english sound or letter is associated with each symbol. do youknow of any websites that would be useful for this?
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2010 01:32
darn...you have to download fonts? I'm always afraid of downloads cuz they can come with viruses.

Anyway, can someone please tell me how to use the smiley faces?

Oh yeah, and do I have to download colors too?

EDIT: OK, I figured out the smiley faces...

[Edited on 3/1/2011 by gondolinian]
Image Image
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
on: January 03, 2011 04:48
Hi Nrogara,

No, you don't have to download fonts. Every pc comes with its own set of fonts, that is usually quite diverse and large and has most standard fonts (think for instance about Times New Roman or Arial).
If you want special fonts, that are not on your pc, such as elvish for instance or dwarfish fonts, or any other fonts that you find online / on our site (in the Multimedia section), you will have to download and 'install' it. Installing can be done in a few different ways, one of which is just copy-pasting the fonts-file to your fonts-folder on your pc.

All the downloads on our site are safe (note: the ones in our sections such as fonts, or images in the gallery, not necessarily the downloads found by following links posted by members/other people!). They do not contain viruses. It's true you have to be careful whenever you download something online, but using common sense gets you quite far in being safe. Since our site tries to provide a platform for Tolkien-lovers to enjoy their hobby, we have no interest in providing you downloads that contain viruses . It would keep our members away... On top of that a good virus-scanner will help to assure you that whatever file you download is safe, before you install it.
In fact, whenever you are connected to the internet and surfing the web, you are downloading things, all the time, even without knowing it: web-pages, cookies to store information, images that load automatically when you go to a web-page,... . As stated before: common sense gets you quite far (e.g. everyone knows that those advertisements on sites with 'you are visitor 1 000 000, click here to receive your prize' are a one-way ticket to getting a lot of spam and viruses). So you don't have to be afraid of downloads as long as you think properly about it .

You don't have to download colours, colours are composed by your pc, you cannot download a 'colour' file.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 03, 2011 12:09
I'm wondering if CoE allows the strikethrough script? I've tried to use it in one of my posts but the codes don't seem to work
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: March 03, 2011 11:08
I'm not sure if it works, I'll check with our Creator, Rivka to be sure.

Update:

The only BB code / scripts that you can use, are available when you hit 'post reply' (i.e. not the reply at the end of the page, but the one with more options). It's basically only bold, italic, and underline as far as text options go.

[Edited on 4/3/2011 by gondolinian]
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: March 04, 2011 10:56
Thanks for the information. I have no idea about how inserting new codes is done, but I presume it would be too difficult to introduce it here, considering its only just-for-fun value? :dizzy:

[Edited on 4/3/2011 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: March 06, 2011 09:55
I don't think you can introduce new codes yourself. Whatever codes the site accepts (and I mean the technical part of the site, not the admins or mods) would have to be implemented in it's core. That would mean adjusting the site which can only be done by our creator, Rivka. But then everyone would want his or her font, style, special code etc. and we'd be busy for a long time with something too remote from our main purpose.
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: March 06, 2011 11:05
I meant if it was worth it to contact Rivka about it, I guess I was just being too vague But I agree, the code's value is kind of too small to bother her with it -_-
BOTHA909
Council Member
Send Message
Good day

I would like to have the Tengwar font on my phone as it is the device that I am using the most and will aid in learning the new alphabet the quickest. And pretty nice in general.

Is this possible and how?
Kind regards

[Edited on 10/25/2016 by BOTHA909]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Well met, BOTHA909. You can download a variety of elvish fonts by going to the 'Multimedia' section in the left-hand index ---> 'Fonts'.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
BOTHA909, as Evil~Shieldmaiden has said you can get the fonts themselves from our site, but whether or not you'll be able to install and use them on your phone might depend on the type of phone you got. On Android you might need a rooted device (depending on the brand of phone), on iOS you'll have to follow some other steps. I suggest Googling on how to install fonts on your particular brand of device/OS, you'll find plenty of resources to help you with those next steps.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email