Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post CoE Site Rules [Please Read]
on: April 17, 2002 03:21
I would like to bring everybody's attention to a couple of things:

1) The Forum Rules, which are located at the top under the link \"Board Rules.\" As our community grows, it just seems important to remind people that we do actually have some rules of conduct around here

2) Any comments posted in the image gallery which contain overt sexual statements, racist or hate speech, or are deemed to be inappropriate by the staff of this site will be deleted. We reserve the right to use our own discretion in deleting comments. In addition, please refrain from posting negative comments about individual actors or characters that serve no critical or constructive purpose; we all have our favorites, but that doesn't mean you should bash other people's favorite character. This does not mean you can't say that you didn't like a character--what it does mean is that you can't just say \"Legolas sucks!\"

Some words about Forum Decorum

Hello everyone. This is a post about Forum Decorum. What's that? well simply put it's your behavior in the forum and how you react towards others. This applies to everyone.

This is a community. A global community with people from many different countries. We all speak or can type in English and that is the basic language of our communication. However, English is not always our first language and we come from diverse cultural backgrounds.

Beyond that we are all just netizens some of us are more technically knowledgeable then others, some of us may find ourselves on a messageboard for the first time and there for this way of communicating may seem strange and unusual.

Given all these factors it is very easy for misunderstandings to errupt and for them to continue when people are misunderstanding the intentions of others.

Often times when someone makes a jab at someone else it can be intended as a harmless quip but the other person might take it personally. These things happen quite easily and can snowball if left unchecked.

First let me say before you jump into a thread or start posting. THINK about what you are saying. THINK about how someone might FEEL when they read your words.

Do not post if you are angry at something someone else has posted.

PREVIEW your post before you submit and edit it afterward if necessary.

Please use the private messaging feature of the site to contact users whose posts you desire clarification on, or to try and clear up simple misunderstandings. If a situation arises in which you feel offended or harassed (or someone has accused you of such) and it seems likely that mature communication will not be possible on the part of one or both parties, please contact a moderator; they will review the situation, and if appropriate, bring it to the attention of the admins for mediation purposes. If at any time you don't feel comfortable with a situation or a poster, please feel free to contact us--that's what we're here for

We want everyone to have a good time when they visit COE and a disccussion forum is a good tool for all of us to share our wit and wisdom and meet other Tolkien lovers.

This is not a kindergarten and we don't want to have to treat you like little children with lots of rules and regulations and spankings (no comments please) we will delete posts we feel contribute to a negative atmosphere or at the request of members who feel something is offensive.

We will contact you if we feel or another member feels you are out of line. We will try to resolve the situation with you.

We will ban users who abuse the system and offend other members without remorse.

Use the smiley faces on the right hand side to show when you are being sarcastic or kidding.

LET US KNOW for any reason small or large if something is going on you don't agree with. We can't always change the situation or correct it but we will try to find a resolution.

Don't take matters into your own hands if it can't be handled in a mature manner. That is what we are here for.

Thanx!

[Edited on 7/6/2002 by Rivka]

[Edited on 4/13/2005 by Nienna-of-the-Valar]
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
Post RE: CoE Site Rules [Please Read]
on: April 17, 2002 03:39
Hear, hear!!
And you have my permission to remind me if I inadvertantly step on someone's toes...
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: April 17, 2002 04:24
If I might add:

1) When submitting images to the Gallery please do not submit images
if they have copyright on them this may include images of merchandise that a web-site has specifically taken to sell merchandise i.e. New line Cinema, or photographs copyrighted to a specific person or entity.

Please do not submit fan art as your own if you did not actually create them.

Please check to make sure that an image of a character or from the film is not already in the gallery.

We appreciate your trying to help out CoE by submitting images for everyone to enjoy.

[Edited on 18/4/2002 by M]
frodoandsam
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2002 10:03
I will try my best to find pics to add to this site
Boromir9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2002 01:23
Every one should follow the rules. This is an awesome wedsite, no one should go aginst the rules.
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: April 25, 2002 09:17
Usnernames:

It has come to our attention that several members are abusing our system by registering more then one username. Some may be honest mistakes but others may be attempts at on 1) trying to secure certain names whether used or not 2) attempts to commit fraudluent entries into contests 3) attempts to flame/abuse or agrivate other users by having "disguises". Basically it is not fair to everyone let alone the good will of the people who sacrifice their time and money creating and moderating this site for you.

An extension to our user policies or TOS (terms of service) will now include only ONE username per person. I have contacted several registered members by private message regarding the usernames and have given them a chance to come clean and reduce their usernames.

Flagrant disregard for this new policy will result in the termination of all usernames by the person and forfeit of rights to join The Council in the future.

Don't make us be hard-cases and come down on you. This is a friendly site made for fans by fans. We don't get paid for this, we don't make any income from this site or get any sort of acollade save the pleasure of knowing that others enjoy it and can use it as valuable resource.

If you have registered more then 1 username, I urge you to contact me or one of the other admins here: Rivka, Hermitt, Zoe, Lozza, HobbitFriend or Queen_B no questions will be asked for those who come forward, we'll simply delete your extra usernames. Don't make me hunt you down.

You can fool some of the M's some of the time but you can't fool all fo the M's all of the time
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: April 25, 2002 09:30
Personally, I like M & M's, especially the smiley, blue ones!!

And all the Admins have my thanks for the job they do; I know it's a lot of work...

THANKS!!
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: April 25, 2002 09:53
Thanx Elerrina

Let me add that I am aware that people may have created several accounts without realizing it or because they forgot passwords etc so in future if you ever have a problem with your account do not hesitate to contact us there is a link under CoE on the left hand menu that will send us an email with your inquiry.

We want this to be an open, friendly site where all users can enjoy themselves freely.

[Edited on 25/4/2002 by M]
Strider9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2002 02:47
Well said M with only one change. You said the only sort of accolade for your work is by the fans of the site. Well Ill reimburse that statement when I say Im sure I speak for everyone one of the members of the CoE when I say that ALL of the admins. here at the site do excellent and detailed work in all that you guys do
Keep it up!!!!

[Edited on 27/4/2002 by Strider9]
Boromir9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2002 07:47
I agree with you Strider9! Good job M, nicely said!! I hope every one goes by the rules. Best site ever!!!!!!!!!!
Earwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2002 01:04
I just feel like joining the guys in saying that I really enjoy this page and all the people here. I made it my home because anyway it is usually the first place I check out when I go to the web.

Great job, really!
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: April 29, 2002 06:21
Well, gee whiz, thanks guys! I'm glad some people get enjoyment out of the site. I know I like working on it, but it would be kind of pointless if no one else ever looked at it, lol.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: April 29, 2002 07:06
Thanx to all of you for your kind remarks we really do appreciate it and it's nice to hear because somedays when things go wrong it seems like too much bother but when you know people are enjoying what you do then you can get over it and get back to work
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 03, 2002 08:18
Well please keep up the good work because this is an excellent site! I don't know much about putting up webpages but those of you who maintain the site must spend literally hours on it. I don't visit many LOTR sites on a regular basis, but I have really enjoyed this one. Keep it up!!!
Kyran
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2002 11:10
Yes it is one of the better ones Ive been on so far I've been serching through links and serch engiens but so far this is the best online Lotr comunity I have only seen one better site and its an ensyclopidia and no good for discusions. Keep up the great work!
Gil-Galad
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2002 11:20
I'm assuming that you have been to theonering.net too?

It's a great site for movie news and they are well connected, but it's message board is almost pure crap in my humble opinion.

(Yay for Council of Elrond)
HobbitFriend
Maps student, site patron and supporter
Send Message
on: May 03, 2002 03:35
Oh, *sniff*, thank you for your lovely comments...
Really, thanks all.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 04, 2002 03:21
I'm assuming that you have been to theonering.net too?

It's a great site for movie news and they are well connected, but it's message board is almost pure crap in my humble opinion.

(Yay for Council of Elrond)

Well, of course it is! We're all messaging over here.
Yano
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2002 04:07
I love this site! You guys do a great job, and I admire you for being able to do such a good job (this is coming from the one who just recently learned to use the copy paste button)
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: May 14, 2002 05:13
Wonderful site. This has to be one of the most professional sites I have ever been to. great Job and keep up the good work!
Ashavah
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2002 07:45
I've only just joined the site, but it looks great, and everyone seems really friendly.

JK
Kyran
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2002 12:36
aww thankyou Ashavah
SomeStranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2002 11:45
And it is a fantastic site (even though I probably said it a few times already, you ppl won't mind hearing it again) And I don't thinkthere could be ANY problems with the rules - I mean, they are pretty straight-forward, and no one's giving us users a hard time!
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: May 22, 2002 03:11
Yes, definatly...and as i've said before this site is as good or better than TORN and I sorta know what it's like to make a webpage...very, very, very frustrating and when your done it usually lookes like crap anyway, but you guys do a totally awesome job! and there are sooooooo many things to do here. I've definatly made this my homepage cuz it's the only site i really spend any time on anyway...sorry to talk so much....keep up the good work!
HobbitFriend
Maps student, site patron and supporter
Send Message
on: May 22, 2002 03:22
Wow, V of S, that is high praise indeed! Thank you!
Kyran
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2002 06:37
I've definatly made this my homepage cuz it's the only site i really spend any time on

I have done that also and a buton for the forum on my link bar
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 30, 2002 09:34
Concur with all the above. I neglect my own poor webpage often to come here instead. I've become such an addict I even visit when I get a chance to get on the 'net at work! Durn, can't remember my password (again!) so I have to look at the generic theme and can't post anything. Rats! Oh, well, just reading the forum and looking at the pics gives me a bit of a high! Something definitely needed. Keep up the great work, folks!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 02, 2002 04:40
Everyone please take a moment to read the board rules (at the top of the forum list), they have been updated.
Thanks!

[Edited on 8/2/2002 by Aowyn]
Mithrodwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 02:16
*in waynes wrold style

WE'RE NOT WORHTY WE'RE NOT WORTHY WE'RE NOT WORTHY

I love this site for the people here and how much work and effort is put into everything. But I think there are some that need to respect others boundaries in the RP section a little more... theres a tad too much ruffness at the moment making other slightly uncofortable....Let just slow down a little eh people? we all lvoe the site lets not ruin a good thing
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 09:35
yes, I totally agree with you Mith...we've all gone just a little bit too far.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 05:06
no ruffness at the Green Dragon, my lovely friend Mith! (hehe, pardon the little advertising there...)

I don't think I've violated too many of these rules, but there's no reason why any of us would really want to.... this is such a wonderful place with so many wonderful people and Elves and Hobbits and the occasional Dwarf or Misty Mountain Monster or Undead Person... :love: and such wonderful admins and moderators...

Pippin12
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2002 10:02
i think that the Council of Elrond is one of the best LotR sites there is ever is. Almost every day i come on to CoE and have a blast, all the people here are super nice to all the new comers and just to say this again

Council of Elrond Rocks!!!
Caddie
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2002 03:25
This is a lovely site...kind of reminds me of somewhere else though... :dizzy:
Ara
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2002 12:49
I enjoy this site, though i don't get to be on here much because it appears that not all my computers can login. As for the username fropblem, i once created a user name called ErtureAra but i never receive the password from the council. So i created this one. However, if u want to delete it now that's fine with me. It would be even more wonderful if i could get the password for that name, because that's the name i want, not Ara. Bit i'll stick with Ara if u cant find the password, it's all fine and well.
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: September 19, 2002 03:31
Ara for passwords please read the FAQ and use the "Contact" feature on the left hand menu. We use an automated system for passwording new accounts so we don't you're having a problem until you contact us.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email