Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hi elfmaiden77. Apart from the obvious Oxford and Cambridge you should consider the London universities. It's a wonderful city but very expensive. Then there's Edinburgh, York, Manchester, Warwick, Durham, all further north, all great places to live. Spoiled for choice really.
elfmaiden77
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks! Im looking for one thats a fairly low price, as getting scholarships for a foreign student can be difficult. But thanks very much for your ideas! I will certainly look into them.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I'm a bit biased towards universities, but I'm currently studying at the University of Leeds, which is a Russell Group university, so it has some sort of higher status than some universities. Not to the same extent as Cambridge or Oxford of course, but it has a good student union and environment, and it's not as busy a city as other British ones. Lots of green spaces too!

It's a cheapish place to live, and everything is close by! It's in the North, but we can boast that Tolkien once was the youngest professor here

Manchester is also quite a cheap place to live.

If I'm honest, I would avoid the more Southern city universities, not because they're in the South, but because living there tends to be a lot more expensive than in the North. Hence why I picked Leeds

[Edited on 02/23/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
ItarildeSirfalas said:... {the University of Leeds} is in the North, but we can boast that Tolkien once was the youngest professor here ...
Tom (T.A.) Shippey was at Leeds, too, and Shippey and JRRT have more in common than just that; from Wikipedia:

"Shippey's education and academic career have crossed paths in many ways with that of Tolkien's: like Tolkien, he attended King Edward's School in Birmingham and both taught Old English at Oxford University. Shippey also occupied Tolkien's former position at the University of Leeds and was responsible for changing the curriculum that Tolkien himself had instituted."
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said: "Shippey's education and academic career have crossed paths in many ways with that of Tolkien's: like Tolkien, he attended King Edward's School in Birmingham and both taught Old English at Oxford University. Shippey also occupied Tolkien's former position at the University of Leeds and was responsible for changing the curriculum that Tolkien himself had instituted."

See, we're quite lucky at the Uni of Leeds
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Elf-maiden, I'm in (almost) the same position as you, in that I am starting to seriously think about what uni's I want to go to. I think it will probably be a London one, just because it's not too much effort going to places (like home, and "breaks" kind of thing)
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
PSK said:Elf-maiden, I'm in (almost) the same position as you, in that I am starting to seriously think about what uni's I want to go to. I think it will probably be a London one, just because it's not too much effort going to places (like home, and "breaks" kind of thing)

I've found most people prefer to stay at a university nearer to home, as it makes the holiday weeks easier if you want to visit parents, or just nab some free food sometimes ! I decided to go to Leeds because of the reputation, and it was near to friends I have, as my parents don't live in the UK currently!

On the other hand, many friends I have made in Leeds are from London/down South and they say living away from London makes life a lot more affordable!
Image Image
falling_wintersnow
Council Member
Send Message
I live on the edge of London, like a suburb town of Greater London. So good to see so many other people from England!
lady_emilie
Council Member
Send Message
I'm at school in England, though I'm actually part French, part Scottish. Just me and a couple of friends who are LOTR fans, but even they don't understand my allegiance to the fandom . And I'm looking at unis too elfmaiden and PSK! Scary stuff...
Fool of a Took!
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
lady_emilie said:I'm at school in England, though I'm actually part French, part Scottish. Just me and a couple of friends who are LOTR fans, but even they don't understand my allegiance to the fandom . And I'm looking at unis too elfmaiden and PSK! Scary stuff...

Hi Lady Emilie, if you want to know anything about university, feel free to message me I'll be happy to answer any questions or settle any worries you have! I've attended two universities and I'm in my final year of the second time around, and going on to do a Masters (I must be crazy!)

I'm actually amazed there aren't more British fans of LotR... I mean Tolkien was British!
Image Image
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Hoping all my London friends are well and carrying on as normal after the car ram attack. That police officer is a true hero, giving his life to protect the people.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
jacksdrobinson
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, I'm in Leicestershire. Looking for a Quenya pen-pal, in case anyone's interested.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email