Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Religions
on: March 01, 2004 03:51
Okay, I was just wondering... for no apparent reason... but what religions are we? please help keep this not a religious mini-war or argument, just perhaps your religion and why. Or even your comments on religion in general... but not namecalling, criticizing, being mean, etc. Thank you!
I'm a... I suppose I'm an atheist, and that's what I'd say I am, but that's sorta because i usually don't have enough time to explain my religion. I guess you might call me a Perception-of-the-nothing-ist. I think that everything is nothing, and everything is simply a perception made by ourselves, and ourselves are a perception, so therefore, nothing exists. But since this is so rudimentary, it doesn't begin to cover what I think... I don't wanna spend four hours explaining it, like I did last time... *grin*... so, yeah. Of course, Perception-of-the-Nothing-ist is quite a mouthful, and since atheist simply means without god, then that I am too... speeds up explanation a ton.
So, i very seriously doubt ne one is of my religion, but I was wondering what everyone else is?
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
Post RE: Religions
on: March 05, 2004 03:45
Hmm. Well, I'm agnostic, I think, raised Buddhist; there seem to be several definitions of agnosticism, but I'm agnostic in the sense that I will neither 'confirm or deny' the existence of God or any other divine powers, so I am a bit more open to the idea of god(s) if the idea beckons to me -- it suits this skeptic just fine.

On a more serious note, I haven't given much thought overall to organised religion in my life or lack of, and at the moment... I don't care to think about it. It sounds horribly superficial, I know, but it doesn't mean I haven't given thought to life and spirituality in general (now that I know the answer isn't '42' ). On this note, I've been intrigued greatly by the philosophy of existentialism recently, though I'm not sure if I agree with all of it. Personal reluctance, more likely.

Perception-of-the-Nothing-ist? Sounds a bit like the Matrix. No, please don't take offence!; I see what you mean. While I'm not sure that I could think of actual physical existance as mere perception, that there is perception of our world and ourselves? Yes, definitely. That's an interesting thought. Will probably mull over that.

As for being raised Buddhist -- well, my parents aren't devout, but they believe in it, and the Buddhism we practice is really a mixture of the Buddhism found in Vietnam, Confucian tradition, and ancestor reverence, some call it worship. I'm a lapsed Vietnamese Buddhist, I guess; it's not the religion, since it does suit me that it doesn't concern itself with divinities so much and focuses more on observing a way of life, but it's a way of life I'd chafe at, all the same. However, I don't nearly know much about Buddhism as I'd like, and there are so many different sects out there, so maybe I'd find a sect that calls to me more, or even a different religion...

Sorry about that long ramble, as, to borrow your word, it's all rudimentary, but your post was just too thought-provoking to resist contemplating for me.

Firiel

Edited for clarification.

[Edited on 6/3/2004 by Fíriel]
RachieAchie
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 12:38
I'm a Christian... I guess because that's how I was raised... My mother is a Christian and my Father is an atheist, so as you can imagine things can get a little tense in our house sometimes!

But I've seen the power of what God can do, so I personally couldn't possibly be an atheist, or to not think there's some greater power.

And these things have been acheived through Christian prayer, even by just one individual... incredible things can happen!

The Christian God is also someone/ something I feel I can really relate to, and the teachings of the Bible all seem to make absolute perfect sense to me. :heart:

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now, but I still have a lot left to talk about, so if anyone wants to find out more about the Christian faith feel free to PM me... Not that I'm a minister or anything, but I'll try and give you a very informal idea of what I believe!! :love:
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 04:00
I'm Christian too

One of my friends is Perception-of-the-Nothing-ist so you know
Sindaeririel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 11:04
I'm Christian, and I do believe in God. I'm pretty religious I think, I go to church every Sunday (and not for the sake of doing it but because I like it) and so on. I'm not *sure* that there really is a god in the sky, but still I believe in it. I think the important fact about religion is not that there actually is something, some greater power, but that you have something to believe in, something that gives you strength...know what I mean? It's hard to explain...hope you get the meaning though.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 04:36
Hmm....it's interesting the way we use the word "Religious" nowadays. I mean, I go the the bathroom religiously. However....as to my faith.....

Born again Christian. I was raised that way, yes, but I've always believed it myself, not just what my parents think. (God has no grandchildren.... Ponder that!) I've met a great many Christians on this site. I was actually thinking of starting some kind of thread...or something...where Christians can fellowship together and just talk about stuff. It's amazing what a relief it is just to share problems with other believers.

Anyone feel free to PM me anytime, I love hearing from new people, and other Jesus Freaks like me!

~*meleth*~

~Newra
PS- Any of you all seen The Passion of the Christ yet?? *AMAZING*

[Edited on 10/3/2004 by Newra]
Sindaeririel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 03:56
Hmm....it's interesting the way we use the word "Religious" nowadays. I mean, I go the the bathroom religiously

Hmm...is "religious" in this case wrong? Sorry, didn't know that, my dictionnary tells me that it has several meanings, one of them being "believing in the existence of a god or gods". If I used the word wrong I'm very sorry, didn't know that it has other meanings apart from that one...
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 12:24
It can mean that, yes. I was just reffering to the first meaning of it. You're fine.

~Newra
Krazi4Kirby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 06:18
I'm Christian... I was raised that way... plus everything about it just... works out.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 06:22
I was born, raised, and am Roman Catholic
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 02:19
Pagan and proud of it.
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 10:50
I'm a Christain , and proud of it . My life would not be if it wasn't for Jesus in it. He has helped me through thick and thin. I know I would not be able to live without Him in my heart :heart:. He's the light of my world.
SkyFaerie
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 12:56
Hmm...well, I've tried a whole plethora of different religions, and what I've come to is this: God, or Jehovah, or Allah, or the Mother Goddess, or whatever, does amazing things and we can find peace through being with them. Religion is just our way of finding him/her/it, and it shouldn't matter how we get there. If you have very religious convictions, that's good. But if you don't, nothing wrong with that either. I think just living our lives in the best way possible is what's important. Doesn't matter how we go about it. I like to take a mix of all the different religions. I mean, I'll go pray in a Catholic church, come home where my Tibetan prayer flags are all strung up, and read my Tarot cards. I've been known to make little protective charms and amulets here and there, too. Go figure. I guess I'm the high priestess of the Church of Me.
Eowyn22
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 04:12
I am Shieldmaiden for Christ and proud of it!.

[Edited on 18/3/2004 by Eowyn22]
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 04:52
I honestly don't know: I was raised Christian, but I doubt whether there is a God; I see evidence that leads me to believe that the Bible is true and evidence that leads me to believe it isn't. Anyway, I've been sort of just refusing any title: I'm afraid of what it would mean if there wasn't a God, and I'm also afraid of what it would mean if there was a God: I won't like it either way. So, I'm not a Christian, but I'm not an atheist. I'm merely open, waiting for some more information to sway me either way; I've heard good arguements for both.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 03:31
Tyrhael - I believe the word agnostic is what you are looking for and there ain´t anything wrong with that.
SkyFaerie
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 07:59
Nothing wrong with that at all. Stay true to yourself and enjoy the journey, where ever it takes you. That's the important thing.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 09:53
Tyrhael, if you would like to discuss anything with me about the Bible, or God, or whatever, I would love to hear from you. It sounds like you really don't know what to believe, and I've met a lot of people like that. Just drop me an e-mail, or PM, or add me to your MSNM if you had it. I would love to talk to you. I love having discussions about this sort of thing.

~*meleth*~

~Newra
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2004 03:40
I'm an agnostic positivist. I only believe in things I can perceive with my senses or with the help of technology (radiowaves, for instance). There may be a god or some sort of divine power at work in the Universe, but so far I haven't seen any evidence for one (nor any conclusive evidence for lack of one either), and I'm totally incapable of taking things like that on faith. Currently I do just fine without a religious faith, something some of my Christian acquaintances find hard to believe or even offensive.

I'm also rather anti-religion in general, since religions are so easily abused, and more atrocities have been committed in this world because of religion than for any other cause. I do respect genuine religious faith, although I have no time for bigots who misuse their religion for other, less noble, purposes.
Precious!
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: March 22, 2004 10:19

I'm also rather anti-religion in general, since religions are so easily abused, and more atrocities have been committed in this world because of religion than for any other cause. I do respect genuine religious faith, although I have no time for bigots who misuse their religion for other, less noble, purposes.

Well said.
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2004 12:18

What kind of other, less noble, purposes do they use their faith for?? I'm confused.:dizzy:
Please don't take offense at this, I just don't know what you are talking about.

I am a Christian, and I love it. Any Pagans or Atheists, or Perception-of-the-nothing-ists, please don't take offense at this next thing. I just don't see how anyone can live without God in their life. Jesus did so much for us, and it genuinley pains me to see people reject Him.

[Edited on 22/3/2004 by Vanya]
Linithiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 04:56
I'm an athiest, and I always have been, but glory2glorfindel, you may just have converted me to a Perception-of-the-Nothing-ist!
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 08:40
Well, athiests don't believe there is a God, right? So how is that too different than a Perception-of-the-Nothing ist? Lol...sorry... But yeah, percepting there really is nothing...whew...I would NOT wanna go through life believing that. How depressed would that make you?

~Newra
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 01:21
not very, actually. I mean, it's like... if there is nothing, which I think is true, then nothing can really matter. So if you ever really mess up, it doesn't matter, if you really do something right (really used as an intensive here..) then it doesn't matter, it's not gonna change the nothing-ness. If it doesn't change, then the perceptions don't change, and you... well, it's sorta like having a clean slate, all the time. Nothing affects anything, so messing up or doing something right doesn't change anything and every moment is perfectly new and is not affected by what happened before. *realizes she's starting to go in circles* okay... maybe that made some sense...
And yes, perception-of-the-nothing-ists are atheists. Which is why, when someone asks, i usually answer that i'm atheist, because whenever I try to explain perception-of-the-nothing-ism, then I end up with something like what I have above... except, last time i tried to explain, it was a speech/argument/discussion nearly four hours long... so.. I don't often try to explain.
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 02:19
Born again Christian. I was raised that way, yes, but I've always believed it myself, not just what my parents think. (God has no grandchildren.... Ponder that!) I've met a great many Christians on this site. I was actually thinking of starting some kind of thread...or something...where Christians can fellowship together and just talk about stuff. It's amazing what a relief it is just to share problems with other believers.

Anyone feel free to PM me anytime, I love hearing from new people, and other Jesus Freaks like me!

~*meleth*~

~Newra
PS- Any of you all seen The Passion of the Christ yet?? *AMAZING*

[Edited on 10/3/2004 by Newra]

Have you been to the "Role cAll for Christians" forum? Its here in the Prancing Pony. Its a wonderful thread.

And yes, I am also a born again christian. Jesus Christ is the center of my life and I believe the Bible is ther word of God. Jesus Christ is my savior and my Lord. (fellow Jesus Freak, Newra)
Virdil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2004 06:09
Jewish, I be.

Jewish in the very loosest sense, of course. That meaning that I believe in most of that, but certain things I can't agree with them on...though that is mostly me not being able to agree with most Jews on that. Since some of the more strict Jews won't even date non-Jews because they feel they are doing something wrong.

But still, that is what I consider myself.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 24, 2004 04:57
AlatarielofRivendell, I have seen that thread. Posted in it too!

Oh yeah, and glory2glorfindel- just one thing I found interesting. If we do something wrong, it does't really matter, cause there's really nothing. If we do something right, it doesn't really matter, cause there's nothing.

What about we? What about us? Are we nothing? And if we are..........anyway, just a thought. Not tryin' to stir up trouble or anything. Juuuuust wondering.

~*meleth*~

~Newra
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: March 24, 2004 05:56

What kind of other, less noble, purposes do they use their faith for?? I'm confused.:dizzy:
Please don't take offense at this, I just don't know what you are talking about.

I am a Christian, and I love it. Any Pagans or Atheists, or Perception-of-the-nothing-ists, please don't take offense at this next thing. I just don't see how anyone can live without God in their life. Jesus did so much for us, and it genuinley pains me to see people reject Him.

Other less noble purposes - well terrorist groups commit attrocities in the name of Allah. The catholics and other christians burnt thousands of innocents at the stake as witches or heathens and they didn´t need to have proof to do so. Mass Religion can and has generated homophobia, racism and sexual discrimination. And the crusaders destroyed thousands and thousands of years of learning by sacking and burning the great libraries in Asia minor during the crusades.

For me my faith is a fairly large part of my life. I don´t think that I could live without out it. I think the same can be said for everyone, whether we want it or not our belief in whatever it is we happen to believe in gives us strength and a ground base for our morals.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 06:56
Has anybody done the quiz at http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html? While I wouldn't treat it too seriously, it does seem very accurate to me, and some others might be interested in this as well.
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2004 09:20

Other less noble purposes - well terrorist groups commit attrocities in the name of Allah. The catholics and other christians burnt thousands of innocents at the stake as witches or heathens and they didn´t need to have proof to do so. Mass Religion can and has generated homophobia, racism and sexual discrimination. And the crusaders destroyed thousands and thousands of years of learning by sacking and burning the great libraries in Asia minor during the crusades.

Lozza said something of what I meant. Although I wouldn't go so far as saying religion caused racism and sexual discrimination. They existed already and were perpetuated by religion, and in some measure justified by it.

You don't miss what you've never had, and I honestly don't feel there's a gap in my life because I don't have faith. I could never imagine giving up doing things I enjoy in this life for some putative afterlife whose existence I don't believe in (what happens between consenting adults or even consenting sexually mature teenagers in privacy is their business alone, no religious restrictions on premarital sex for me, thanks). This doesn't mean I don't have morals which occasionally poke me in the ribs. There's lots of good advice on how to live your life in the Bible, such as do unto others, don't steal, don't kill, cast your bread upon the waters etc.

I hope this topic isn't getting too controversial for the mods...
Precious!
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 10:15
*pops head into thread and hopes she's not inturupting anything*

Well...I'm christian and I do believe that there is a God, though not neccisarily in the sky My mom was brought up Baptist and my dad Methodist, but I'm Presbyterian
I don't just go to church every sunday because its something to do, I go because I like it.

I'll stop ranting now
Ghost_of_Gandalf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 06:49
I haven't religiously followed any specific (how did my old Religions of the World text book put) "world views" lately, but I pray/meditate religiously, believing in an all-powerful Creator. He is known by his handy work, our universe, and no one is gonna tell me that no higher power didn't have a hand in our creation.

Sorry, didn't mean to be so stand-offish!!!

No offense!
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 04:31
Lol @ ~One_of_the_Dunedain~...heehee...of course God ain't in the sky. He's in Heaven. :heart:

~Newra

And I agree, Ghost_of_Gandalf. I don't see how anyone could not believe that our world was made by the Creator. How could things as complex and beautiful as the earth and human bodies come about by accident??
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 10:06
The beauty there of is debatable Newra. I would have to say that I am of the other camp, I believe in evolution, I have seen too much evidence to doubt it.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 10:09
Being a biologist, I have seen too much evidence also Lozza to believe that everything on Earth has always been the same. But to each their own. I am really interested, however, in reading about how many different religions and beliefs circulate here on CoE....I believe that is one of our most positive attributes, and what makes us a great community. We really have become an international site, I think.

[Edited on 4/2/2004 by Aowyn]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email