Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Religions
on: July 02, 2008 01:45
I was born a Muslim, but I never really listened to the Qu'ran or learned any Arabic. I am now pretty much nothing. I don't believe in God or Allah or any higher power.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2008 11:32
I am a Unitarian Universalist. I converted from Catholicism a while back.
I don't want to repeat anything anyone else has said, but if someone reads this and wants to know about UUs, please ask! And no, we're not a sect of Christianity.
Hravan
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2008 04:23
Raised Christian... Have MAJOR problems with it thanks to what Christians have done to me using their religion to justify their crimes... Mainly "Born-again Christians..."
Also, I can remember as a young child as "Who was God's wife?" "How could he have a son without a wife?" I also remember panicking about never seeing my dogs again because of the whole "non-human animals have no soul" BS and not understanding why even though they've never committed evil they wouldn't be allowed into Heaven.

So yeah.... So from about 8ish to 12/13 I was agnostic verging on atheist peppered with spats of my mother dragging me to church... However, I'd always been fascinated with gods and goddesses and always been a huge nature lover

When I was 13ish I became very interested in Paganism and, no, it wasn't because of TV etc... It was actually due to reading a number of adult historical fiction books. One series the religious beliefs of the main people were based upon research and also the author's own religious beliefs. I started to research it because the more I read the books the more it started to feel right. So I was led to Paganism....
So, I'm Pagan... ish... I think.... I don't really know how to describe it but the umbrella-term Pagan seems to fit it mostly...

Edit:

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I know that there are many, many good Christians out there and I don't hate Christians and I know that there are people of all religions, including Pagans, who abuse it to commit horrendous crimes. But you've got to understand that all my childhood until I was 8 years old I witnesses Christians doing awful things and had them done to me and they used the Bible to justify it. And therein, lies my problem with the whole thing. They could open up the Bible and point to the verse which sanctioned their actions because it was "written by god"...

[Edited on 27/8/2008 by Hravan]
Aran_Quendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2008 04:45
I am a Christian. I believe in God as the ultimate source of mankinds existence, and the Bible, as the only true standard by which every man was condenmed, through the grace of God alone, and through the sacrifice of his Only Son, Jesus Christ, I am justified before him, and Sanctified through the Holy Spirit, I was baptized before the Church body, not as a means of my salvation, but as obedience to Christ, to believe that Baptism is essential to salvation, is to elevate man to a position that he can do something towards the earning of his salvation. "...Not by works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:9.
merryadicbrandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2009 03:30
I am a Tradional Roman Catholic.
Lyna
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Religions
on: January 14, 2013 02:52
I am completely, and entirely a Christian. Now days, so many people "claim" to be a Christian.. so I will tell you exactly what I am all about. I am born-again. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He came to this earth, born of a virgin. He lived, then died on the Cross, for all of my sins- and yours. Then, He rose 3 days later. Now He is on the right hand of His Father, in Heaven. His precious Blood cleanses me from all sin and death. He is my Life and my Light. I anxiously await His return.

The true Return of the King!!!
True joy, is found at the Master’s feet.
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2013 09:38
I am a Christian
Amaille_Valin_Idhren
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2013 02:12
I'm a Christian
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2013 12:59
Same here
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 05:09
I was born a catholic.

Religion brings both War and Peace and has done ever since mankind exisited and i'm afraid it always will. In my honest opinion all religions are equal and i sincerely respect other peoples religion and their beliefs. No one should be persecuted for what religion they follow
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 06:55
I,as well, was born a Catholic and I have since changed my mind.

I agree with your entire statement, Lord_Sauron.

People should not try to force their religious beliefs on others. How sad that more murders are commited "in the name of God" than for any other reason.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 11:16
Born/raised as a Christian. Don't quite like how some people of religions act, as in judge you for liking or enjoying something that they think is 'evil' or think you need to show up for church all of the time.

But what I do like is the ethics, so I guess I don't really have a religion....If you've seen the movie Boondock Saints (it's about two Catholic Irish men who in a way take the law in to their own hands and kill off some very bad men), anyways at the end of the movie they go over the 10 commandments and state that every man can agree to those. And well, as long as you live a good life and try not do do things that will harm others, I'd say that's great!

And Lindarielwen, yup so true. But we also tend to forget that a good portion of the time people kill because they are afraid of what they do not understand/know. Understanding and acceptance is the key to preventing more mass murders.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2013 12:51
Wow, I can't believe I found this thread thingy! Never thought I'd find something like this on here, and I'm so excited to be able to participate

Anywho, I am a Christian (I guess born-again would be a good way of saying it). I was raised this way, but no one could stop me from always asking questions about faith anyways. I guess my motto was "seek truth." I've always had a passion to learn about the way the natural world works. After studying biology for a while, I found that the world around us shows every sign of intelligent design. Its undeniable. This world, and all of us, is no accident. It's too intricate and balanced to have been thrown together randomly by the forces of the universe.

The entire LotR series was what strengthened my love for God and the promises He has for me. Sounds strange, I know, but here's why: Right off the bat, I fell in love with Aragorn. He reminded me so much of the kind of a king I would love to serve and give my life for. Most people would just say I'm a nerd for thinking so deeply about the messages that underly Tolkien's work. Say what you want, but no other work of art or piece of literature has ever given me this feeling that I am not made for this world, that I don't belong here, and that my body is temporary and I am made for another world that is designed for me. Here's one of my favorite quotes from JRR Tolkien regarding this matter:

“We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Indeed only by myth-making, only by becoming 'sub-creator' and inventing stories, can Man aspire to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil.”

"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2013 01:50
GO lotrelessar94!!!! Totally agree. I studied a lot of scientific stuff too, and couldn't find anything that totally added up about the world.
I was raised a christian and my faith was largely influnced by my godly friends who have the courage to go out and speak up about their faith, and not to hide in the shadows when something and someone they love is being compromised. Just as lotrelessar94 said, Tolkien knew what he was doing when he wrote LOTR: he gave us an example of God and how he works in mysterious ways So glad I found this forum!!!!!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2013 02:48
I am totally Christian. Always will be too. It is just amazing to see what God has done in my life and i can't wait to see what else He has in store! I could not imagine living with out Him in my heart. I was baptized when i was seven or eight. I am Baptist. But, not really what you would call a 'normal' Baptist anyway. We attend a Batist church weekly, but we also have some family standards that many many Baptists don't have, such as modest dressing ( for me it is one day a skirt the next day jeans. my mom wear skirts full time. Long skirts at that ) and stuff like that. If any of u have any questions about Baptists, or Christianity, please PM me!
God Bless!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2013 02:57
I just wanted to throw out that as Christians, we do not intend to look down on people. WE try to be accepting and loving off all people, whether they have different beliefs or not. We try to shine God's light through our everyday, human lives. People have bad days, Christian or not. WE don't mean to offend anyone, nor push our beliefs on others. If anyone has any questions about the bible or god, you can send me a PM at anytime. I may not be a professional, but I'll do the very best that I can.

James 1:19
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: February 07, 2013 03:27
I've noticed that some people seem to have a problem with science, so I'm available if anyone wants to discuss it either here or through PMing.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 06:14
It's not that I really have a problem with science. If you want to believe that, and you think that that's how the world was formed, then that's OK, I won't shove my beliefs on you. But there are some gaps in science that don't really add up, like how old the Earth really is. There is no written history before 4000 BC. Why? There really wasn't any, even though the Earth is claimed to be billions of years old. If there were inhabitants prior to that date, there would have been a form of a record kept by some people living in 4000 BC. There isn't a record of that at all. There was also not a apocolypse type event prior to 4000 BC. There had to be survivors in order to populate, and in turn those survivors would have passed information down. Given, it's difficult to find some history around 2,500 BC, because Noah's flood destroyed it--which is a documented fact.
Another point is that if humans, according to scientists, are quickly evolving at an extremly rapid rate...how come the most important human inventions were invented within the last 2 thousand years? (wheel and axle, telephone,etc.) If we were evolving as fast as scientists say, then we would have made these advancements sooner.
World population growth rate in recent times is about 2% per year. Practicable application of growth rate throughout human history would be about half that number. Wars, disease, famine, etc. have wiped out approximately one third of the population on average every 82 years. Starting with eight people, and applying these growth rates since the Flood of Noah's day (about 4500 years ago) would give a total human population at just under six billion people. However, application on an evolutionary time scale runs into major difficulties. Starting with one "couple" just 41,000 years ago would give us a total population of 2 x 1089. 9The universe does not have space to hold so many bodies.

There is still more evidence against science, in my opinion.I'm not trying to make anyone angry with this. I m just stating what I believe to be true...and what my biology teacher even said "I don't know why that is" to.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 10:23
There is nothing wrong with science. There are some scientific theories which you may disagree with, such as the theory of evolution. (unless you just have a problem with science as a whole.) Everything in life IS science.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 10:56
Yay Findemaxam48!!!! Way to back up your beliefs! Even if others don't believe what you (we) may say, evidence is essential in proving your point. And there's lots of it out there.
As for the others who say there is nothing wrong with science, you are absolutely right! Science away! There is nothing wrong with science. It's helpful in explaining very important parts of our history and the amazing ways nature and our bodies work together. It helps to improve and save lives. But I have more of an issue with those who try to fudge certain aspects of science in the name of discrediting Christianity. For example, there are gaps in the fossil record that scientists have claimed they have found the missing pieces. Many of these fossils were found to have been fabricated and planted in dig sites in Asia and Europe. Not even joking. It's like some people plant these things just to try to deny the truth of creation. In the end, its not science that's the main issue. It's the human heart. Many of us don't want creation and Christianity to be validated because the truth means we are accountable to a God who is beyond our control. And some people feel they can't live with that. But I have found that I can't live without that. I think deep down inside we all long for justice in a world filled with corruption, genocide, evil, and hurt. Only with God will all things be made right again. I am waiting for the Return of the King: Jesus.
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2013 03:16
I'm not saying everything about science is wrong. Some things are great, as lotrellesar94 said. But its absolutly astounding to me that people say that the Earth was formed in one day, or that it's millions of years old. There is so much evidence for a Creator- one that wants a personal relationship with everyone, even those who sin. Nothing is too big or small for him to handle. God will handle all things, and he cares about you. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
tarcolan
Send Message
on: February 09, 2013 05:47
Hi everyone. I just thought I should point out that science is not a matter of belief. It is concerned with discovering the way the universe works, a search for truth if you like. Theories are only ever tentative. When they're shown to be wrong they are discarded.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2013 06:39
I still find it very strange that myself and hundreds of other students before and after me have and will learn scientific theorys that are still either not proved untrue or proved wrong, but are still in textbooks as theories and therefore a part of the curriculm biology students must learn. Science is great if it's true and absolutly proved solid. But in a few experiences I had, I was taught things blaghtently wrong. You can believe whatever you like, but to me, science has a few loose ends still needing to be cleaned up.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2013 09:49
'Science' has no "loose ends". People create ideas with many loop-holes and loose ends. Science does not. (btw, I totally agree with you tarcolan.)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2013 01:49
People are the ones doing the scientific theories. People make mistakes. Sometimes, we don't want to admit them. This is not an argument about science and the theories developed- it's an arguement about creation, an idea developed through religion. You can disagree with me and I'm ok with that, but my mind will not be changed on this matter. I believe that God created the heavens adn earth and mankind in 7 days, and if you don't that's not for me to say, because when your trying to push your beliefs on someone, they just won't listen to what you have to say.
tarcolan
Send Message
on: February 10, 2013 05:20
Science has plenty of loose ends, Leo. Is dark matter real, for example, or is it just a handy plot device for Philip Pullman's stories? No-one knows yet.

People do indeed develop scientific theories, findemaxam48, but they then have to go and find evidence to support it. Other scientists will test the theory as well. They cannot afford to ignore evidence which doesn't support their pet theory because they know someone else will find it. In fact a true scientist will actively try to disprove their own theory. If the theory is wrong that's it, they have to start again from scratch. The search for truth (small t) is a hard road littered with broken theories. They have to accept what the universe is telling them. So when you use science to support your belief it's only fair to expect it to be tested by others. It doesn't mean they're attacking you.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2013 08:30
Tarcolan, when I say 'science', I am not referring to people's futile attempts at understanding the universe. I am referring to the very essence of the universe- (science isn't really the word I'm looking for. I can't seem to find the right one though.) -the way everything works. People say that things were 'invented', but the ideas for everything are already contained in the universe. e.g, if Thomas Edison wouldn't have made his light bulb, you can be sure someone else would have. And scientific laws are discovered, not made, same with mathematical principles. And gravity for that matter. It took people long enough to figure out, but it has always applied. Just because the ancient civilizations didn't understand trigonometry, or other kinds of advanced math, doesn't mean the principles weren't always there, cause they definitely were. (and as to dark matter tarcolan, ask the universe )
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2013 04:12
When I say things to defend my beliefs, I'm expecting to be attacked But thanks,
tarcolan, for responding the way you did, anyways
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2013 05:28
I'm a Christian by the way. And with what I was saying, you just have to consider every viewpoint, and possibility.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2013 05:34
Yeah, i agree with findemaxam48. There is nothing wrong with it, but he (or she?) is right. there are gaps. if u think about it, the earth couldn't be billions of years old. it is scientifically proven. the sun gets hotter every year. if it was billions of years old, then the earth would be so hot then no one would be able to live on earth. same here with me, findemaxam48. when i say something about my beliefs, i expect to be attacked!
Grizzwald
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2013 06:32
I am not religious in any way. And I'm not exactly the most er, pure, person on the earth, but still I have been fortunate enough to have a relationship with God. He is really cool.
tarcolan
Send Message
on: February 12, 2013 01:06
If someone attacks your beliefs then you have a right to defend them. But if you present scientific evidence then it should be verifiable by anyone else, and if they question it it is not an attack on your beliefs. Science is not a matter of belief. The same laws that are used to calculate the age of the sun are used to design your computer. You can't pick and choose. As I said it's tough being a scientist. So it's up to you to point out the mathematical error. The sums are quite quite simple.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2013 02:48
Once again, I definitely agree with you tarcolan.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2013 10:28
I am a follower of Jesus and I believe the Bible is the absolute truth. I believe science is full of mysteries because God is so infinitely greater than man, that there is much we will never be able to understand in this life.
I share my faith not because I want to push it on anyone, it is not my responsibility to save anyone, God alone does that, but because I am commanded to share it by scripture and because I love you all because you are people made in the image of God like I am and I want to see you in heaven.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2013 09:53
I never thought about science that way HuldahMaria! very interesting.
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email