Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyOfGondor85
Council Member
Send Message
Post Arwen and Eowyn
on: March 13, 2004 07:18
Ok, I'm curious if anyone else agrees with me...but doesn't Arwen just BUG you?! Oh man, can't stand her...but anyways... who's cooler? Eowyn or Arwen?

Obviously Eowyn for me, she's more real and not all prissy like...lol Aragorn totally led her on...poor girl! but ya still gotta love Aragorn! :love:
Arwen
40% (5)
Eowyn
60% (8)
Lady_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Arwen and Eowyn
on: March 13, 2004 09:53
I kinda prefer Arwen, although I am a total Eowyn fan. I just love Arwen's overall ethereal presence, both book and movie, and I'm rather into elves at the moment.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2004 09:16
Arwen's personality in the movie bugged me a little bit. She didn't seem like a real character, she was too....perfect lol.

I admire Eowyn much more. Yes perhaps I'm a bit biased when it comes to brave deeds but Eowyn is a more convincingly real character in my eyes.
i_luv_orlando_b
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 11:15
Arwen IS so annoying...I picked Eowyn. I like her
gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 02:09
Defiantely Eowyn - at least the girl gets up and does something, and not just sit around crying
Krazi4Kirby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 05:30
Eowyn, totally! She's my favorite character, actually.
Aorelind
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 07:02
To tell you the truth I have to respect Arwen. I mean, come on, she gave up immortality for the man she loved. That's not something to be taken lightly. She gave up all chance of ever seeing her mother, father and possibly her brothers ever again. And yes, Eowyn does incredible, amazing things. But she does them in search of personal renown or glory. I think defying your overbearing, overprotective father(no offense to Elrond, I just love Elrond!) and choosing a happy life with an eventual death rather than a sad eternity takes just as much courage as facing down the Witch King. So I have to say I love them both for different reasons.
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 07:45
In the books I prefer Arwen for sacrificing her immortality to be with the man she loves, but in the movies Liv is just so annoying... I much prefer Éowyn. We'll have to wait for the EE to see how she becomes less selfish when she accepts Faramir's love instead of a childish, impossible dream (in the books Éowyn never stands a chance with Aragorn, while the movies give that impression).
Precious!
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 07:57
Eowyn. Definately. She is going against a lifetime of tradition even if she was trained to use a sword it was never expected that she would have to or would want to use it. There is nothing wrong with someone seeking glory if they want it. She has spend years being overshadowed by the simple fact that she is a woman. Arwen had everything and anything she always wanted... So she had to give a little to get the man she wanted big deal. The choice was physical death or death of her heart. It really isn´t a big decision either way she decided.
Aredhel_Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 07:58
Everyone already pointed out all the reasons I like Arwen more.

Eowyn just never really did anything outstanding,except killed the Witch King...ok that sounded weird. What I mean is,Arwen did some things that were equally hard,and I respect Arwen's actions more than Eowyn's. I still like Eowyn,she was nice if she wanted to be,but,I still like Arwen more.
Aredhel_Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 08:05
P.S.I'm glad that Arwen wasn't all that realistic. I mean,are Elves,Hobbits,Orcs,and Wizards all that realistic?
Niennafefalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 11:58
In the films it's DEFINATELY Eowyn. They overplayed Arwen so badly that i have a grudge against her. And Eowyn's so cool!
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 01:47
I have to say Eowyn too. I bet you can't guess why I like Eowyn better because she has courage, and bravery. I mean she was looking for glory and valour, but we shouldn't bash her, I mean it's like your perfect. Haven't we all done something like that? I mean just wanting poularity or glory, or fame? Eowyn couldn't fight because of her position or gender, how would that make you feel, to feel as if you weren't equal.

Not like there's anything wrong with Arwen, I just like Eowyn better than Arwen.

[Edited on 16/3/2004 by Lady~Eowyn]
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 02:49
Arwen ALL THE WAY!! Sorry, couldn't resist. I think Arwen better than Eowyn. Eowyn's always complaining
~Nev~
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 06:39
To tell you the truth I have to respect Arwen. I mean, come on, she gave up immortality for the man she loved. That's not something to be taken lightly. She gave up all chance of ever seeing her mother, father and possibly her brothers ever again. And yes, Eowyn does incredible, amazing things. But she does them in search of personal renown or glory. I think defying your overbearing, overprotective father(no offense to Elrond, I just love Elrond!) and choosing a happy life with an eventual death rather than a sad eternity takes just as much courage as facing down the Witch King. So I have to say I love them both for different reasons.

I'm going to have to go with Aorelind on this one. As a matter of fact, in all honesty, I don't even like the movie-Eowyn. Something about Miranda's portrayal of her made me just... dislike her. She down-right got on my nerves, I'll go so far as to say. Now, Miranda Otto's a really great actress and Eowyn's a really great character, but I just really didn't like the combination of the two. And, as over-rated as they made Arwen, I still really grew to like her. At first, I kind of held a grudge against her because they over-exagerated her character from book to movie, but once I got passed that, I found myself really liking Arwen. She's a pretty cool gal.
Sneak
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 07:34
It's so difficult to compare the two characters because they're just different... Arwen showing tremendous inner courage, and Eowyn showing tremendous outer courage. It's not like comparing say Aragorn and Faramir, they fall in the same category in terms of what they tried to do and who they were as characters, you can compare accomplishments and so on, but with Arwen and Eowyn, there's really nothing concrete you can compare between the two... really it's got to boil down to a gut decision, gotta go with Eowyn .
SkyFaerie
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 11:11
Ooh, good question...okay, I liked Arwen in the movies. I really did. I agree with why they made the character changes that they did. The Ford of Bruinen in FOTR had me cheeriing in the theater, and I still get all excited when I watch it at home. And I admire her greatly for giving up her immortality for Aragorn. How many of us could do that? Now, maybe I'm just biased due to coming from the books first, where Arwen really doesn't do very much besides say some pretty things and make a banner, but I have to say that even in the movies, I like Eowyn better. The awesomeness of the slaying of the Witch King aside, she's just a more in-depth character. Perhaps it's because Arwen's an elf, and we can relate to Eowyn more because of her humanity, but whatever the reason, I feel there's just more for you to connect to with her. Arwen is very very cool, but in the same manner that Galadriel is, in that untouchable, isn't-she-lovely type of way. Eowyn, on the other hand, is brave and loving and melancholy, and every bit a "daughter of kings." But her hair gets messed up and she gets dirty in battle, and despite how much she tries, she wears her heart on her sleeve. I think we all can see a little of ourselves in that.

Final verdict: Arwen has my affection, but Eowyn goes home with the gold star.
LadyRowan
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 09:40
Two very different women...but for me it's Arwen all the way..to have that kind of love that never waivered..to give up her immortality for her one great love...to me her sacrifices were greater and she had such dignity and grace in the film.

Eowyn is the daughter of Kings and a Shieldmaiden of Rohan taught to fight and belongs to the world of men...I admired both of these women for the qualities they displayed but Arwen is the one that touched me the most...:heart:

[Edited on 18/3/2004 by LadyRowan]
Frosty_Lily
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 09:47
I'd have to go for Eowyn, personally, I don't think Arwen giving up her immortalitly is that big a deal. I mean, it is for Aragorn :love: And besides, she would have died of grief anyway when Aragorn is dead, so giving up the evenstar is just a more dramatic way of going about things.
Someone said Arwen has had all she ever wanted (I can't be bothered to quote them on that due to my apathetic *cough* lazy *cough*mood) and I agree with them totally.
Eowyn on the other hand has been ignored all of her life she was doomed to wait on an old man, followed by a pervert *shudder* and suffers from unrequited love. Her parents also died when she was young, she is not allowed to fight because she is a woman, and despite all these things she also manages to kill the witch king.
I have nothing against Arwen, *for those fans who are ready to kill me* she is a very sweet girl, :drool:but I think Eowyn is a much more real character.
Phew. I'll shut up now.
:drool:
Donut_Lord
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 12:08
I like both characters quite a bit (granted, not as much as I liek Galadriel, but that's off the topic), but I actually prefer Arwen.
She didn't to that much, but still, it's no small thing to give up your immortality, even if it IS for a guy and you'ed die anyway.
But as great as Eowyn is, she seemed a little selfish to me. She went to war because she wanted to win honor and renown, not just because she wanted to protect the ones she loved as the movie said. That may have been one of the reasons she went, but it did not seem to be a major point for her in the book.
Aorelind
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 01:17
Arwen had everything and anything she always wanted... So she had to give a little to get the man she wanted big deal. The choice was physical death or death of her heart. It really isn´t a big decision either way she decided.

I disagree. Facing physical death when you thought you would never die has to be terrifying. Think of anyone who has died young; all young people think they're invincible, and thinking you're going to die at fifteen or something like that is a moment of true terror like you can't imagine until you experience it. And the "death of your heart" as you put it (very good description, btw!) is one thing that would cause anyone to despair. I still think Arwen chose the more difficult of two very hard paths.
And I would disagree that Arwen always had what she wanted. After all, Celebrian (Arwen's mother) was captured and tortured by orcs and went on to the Undying Lands because she couldn't be in Middle-Earth anymore. That would give anyone abandonment issues. And we don't know how deeply that affected Arwen; we know how Elrohir and Elladan dealt, they swore to eradicate orcs, and took out their anger and frustration on the creatures that did that to their mother. Arwen did not have that outlet, and as an elf, she would not forget that pain. So what I wonder is, how did she deal with the pain of both her mother and father leaving her for Valinor. After all, once she decides to stay with Aragorn, she will never see them again, not even after she dies. I would argue that Arwen's life was at least as psychologically trying as Eowyn's, possibly more so, since she had quite a few years on the Sheildmaiden. Plus, I never said that Eowyn wasn't brave, just that she and Arwen displayed different kinds of bravery and strength.

[Edited on 3/18/2004 by Aorelind]
Eowyn22
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 05:24
Arwen IS so annoying...I picked Eowyn. I like her

Ditto.Eowyn's my fave character!
2ndbreakfast
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 02:05
Eowyn kicked bootay. Plus, I think that Miranda Otto's a lot prettier than Liv Tyler. Just my opinion. See, Arwen sorta whined a lot, but Eowyn (though she was superficial and cold-hearted) actually did something important. Well, more important than wasting away on a couch in Rivendell. :love:
mata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2004 12:33
I absolutely agree with Aorelind! :cheers:
although I love Eowyn, I definitely have to go with Arwen.
and it's funny how some people (not in this thread) say Arwen's all prissy and does nothing than cry, but as soon as they make some changes in the movies, so she had something more to do, they complain about "it's not in the books" and she's "stealing Eowyn's role"... *sigh*
and giving up your immortality is a big deal! try to imagine... you're 30 years old and you probably have 90 years to live and now you have to choose between living as long as this or having to die in 10 years, for your love... no big deal? really?
Farwyn64
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2004 06:12
Arwen has absolutely NO point in the movies. I couldn't even stand her name in the books lol.
Yes Eowyn is SO great! She and Aragorn really should have got together...why did Aragorn choose Arwen? It's all because of Arwen I've had a little disliking for elves. :banghead:
mata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 01:41
well, why did Aragorn choose Arwen...? let's see... first of all: it's in the books! *muahahahaha!*
second: to every Aragorn/Eowyn shipper - think of poor Faramir!
third: Aragorn could be Eowyn's grandgrandfather! (okay, Arwen could be Aragorn's grandwhatsoevermother, but hey! she's an elf, that's different!)
fourth: well, how many years did Arwen and Aragorn wait for each other? I'm not sure, but it was a nice amount of time, I guess that must be true love...
fifth: Arwen gives up her immortality for him, what does Eowyn?

when I say the next thing please keep in mind that I love Eowyn...
why should Aragorn choose some immature blonde, who is too dumb to fear death or pain (btw that's the reason why I think that Eowyn's not that brave... why is it brave to ride in battle when you don't fear anything?), over the most beautiful being in ME, who is willing to give up not just immortality but also her family and her home for him? eh?
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 10:00
I completely agree with Mata!!
i cant stand Eowyn in the films...i like Miranda as an actress and i like the fact of the warrior-lady and all but really i cant stand her all the times she is on screen...always botherin poor aul Aragorn...come on girl!!lol!!but really even tho maybe Liv might be a bit annoyin sumtimes yet i just love Arwen's character!!she is just soo great...i mean maybe she doesnt fight or anythin but givin up immortality and leavin her father and her kind for the man that she loves well...i mean...if that's not a huge thing to do! (well, i dont think that would be too difficult tho if the man we are talkin about is Aragorn!lol!!i mean, id have done the same without havin to even think about it!lol!)
Aorelind
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 10:33
Yay, Mata! I totally agree with you on this one. I hadn't thought of the point about Eowyn saying she fears niether death nor pain, but you're right. Battle's not so brave if you're not afraid to die. It makes me sad that Arwen is losing the poll, but I think it says something about the way women are percieved today versus when Tolkien was writing.

We expect women to take care of themselves and be tough. Female heros today (at least in the US) are people like Buffy and Sydney from Alias. And yes, they are awesome and kick butt and everything, but they leave girls like me out in the cold. Even magazines and "women's shows" like Oprah reward out and out violence with "Hero" labels. This leaves quite a few women (like me) feeling like we're not tough or we have to do things that are against our nature to get ahead. I am NOT tough. I could never do anything remotely resembling anything violent. I hold my own, sure, I mean, I'm no doormat, but women like Eowyn and Buffy just don't inspire me. I consider myself brave, not because I can take down the Witch King or a giant gradution-eating snake, but because I face up to things that scare me. And that's what Arwen does. After all, what could be braver than facing death when you don't have to? That's why my heros are women like Arwen, Jessica Simpson and Nia Vardolos (the My Big Fat Greek Wedding girl). They are strong, not because of any violent action, but because of their inner struggles that they've overcome.

*gets off soapbox* Sorry, sorry! To sum all that up, Arwen's my hero! Yay for the Evenstar!!
Ok, done

[Edited on 4/19/2004 by Aorelind]
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 11:13
Actually, I prefer Arwen but I feel thats because I have the common sense to realize that this movie was written for a totally different time other than the one we currently live in. Elves are not mankind so I do not expect to attribute "human" feelings to them.

Eowyn had lots of growing up to do. I shall say no more.

[Edited on 15/6/2004 by Celebrianna]
WhiteDragonfly
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 03:31
I don't particularly like either of them.

They both need to grow up.

Eowyn needs to learn to accept things for the way they are and she needs to learn to love people for the right reasons.

So does Arwen. Arwen also needs to be a little less hopeful and a lot more logical. Giving up life itself and all of your family and friends for a man that you *think* that you are in love with is totally foolish. And then killing herself after Aragorn died because she couldn't live without him or whatever is very immature.
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 03:35
Eowyn. Arwen is kind of annoying.
WhiteDragonfly
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 03:37
We expect women to take care of themselves and be tough. Female heros today (at least in the US) are people like Buffy and Sydney from Alias. And yes, they are awesome and kick butt and everything, but they leave girls like me out in the cold. Even magazines and "women's shows" like Oprah reward out and out violence with "Hero" labels. This leaves quite a few women (like me) feeling like we're not tough or we have to do things that are against our nature to get ahead. I am NOT tough. I could never do anything remotely resembling anything violent. I hold my own, sure, I mean, I'm no doormat, but women like Eowyn and Buffy just don't inspire me.

I completely agree with everything that you just said! It is against my nature to cause violence to get attention. What about all of the women that are gentle and that are truly feminine? They hardly get any attention because they aren't out being obnoxious.
eowyn_fan99
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 06:38
I like Eowyn better but i like Arwen as well
I hink that killing the witch king is so cooler than giving up my immortality but you have to give Arwen some credit she did stick w/Aragorn!
Mabe she sould have married glorfindel after all they both did save Frodo!
But I'm glad that Arwen Married Aragorn cuz Faramir is so right for Eowyn!
~MTB
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 07:28
I fear that people arent being realistic. Strength can be shown a various ways. Not only by brawn.
WhiteDragonfly
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 07:50
Well, when I say "strength" I mean physical strength. And I have none.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email