Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Rangers in the shire
on: June 18, 2004 08:48
Ethoner shook his head and set off after his brother. He'd never been able to understand the younger man, he guessed he just took after their maother, she had always been the emotional type. Thon, now he was more for action, and had always had an appalling memory for names.
He came to the garden behind the Robin and saw his comrades sat at the table arguing over strategy.
Den was sat with his back to the path Thon stood on, wrapping fresh bandages aroung the jaw of a young Hobbit lass.
Swallowing his pride he slowly walked up to his younger brother.
"Den..."
"I'm busy."
"Den, I need to talk to you."
"Later." He deftly tied the loose ends of the bandage, straigtened up and handed the Hobbit a steaming mug, "Here, this'll dull the sting." Den stood and made his way into the pub without looking back. He knew Thon would be following.
"What?"
"I came to... apologise. Hell, I don't know what i'm apologising for, but I am."
Den's expression softened, "i accept it, I guess. It's not your fault. A lot of memories have been surfacing lately, what with the fight and all."
"I know." Thon reached out a hand to Den's arm, "But Father died defending what he loved. It's how he would have wanted to go."
"How do you know?!"
"Because it's how I would want to go. I would like to have lived and loved. To have something in my life worth dying for. There can be no better death."
"I guess not." He sighed and the two embraced, joined by their memories and pain, all arguments forgotten.
Lady_Lily
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2004 09:03

Eleyn walked silently into the pub. Moving out of the way of the other men as they pushed thier way through the doors. She smiled as she saw Thon and Den embracing. Eleyn stood there quietly. Her hands locked together in front of her. As they pulled apart her eyes shined happily. Thon had been forgiven and Den set aside his reasons to be mad.

Quietly she walks up behind Thon and Den, he smile wide and her eyes shining. "You have been forgiven?" She asks Thon, smiling up at him happily.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 01:30
"I've been forgiven," Thon placed an arm around her shoulders.
"I think you've been a good influence on dear old Thon Milady." Den grinned, "If left to his own devices then we'd still be angry for no good reason. And you know what father used to say when we fought..."
"Bad blood will be spilled by nightfall." Thon sighed in rememberance, "Wise semtiments, especially when we have a hoard of orcs on our doorstep."
"Hang on, how'd you know about them?"
"Den, I'm not totally deaf." He began to move outside, "Tell me, is Quentin still trying to get them to..."
"Yes."
"Then let's go save the poor boy from himself." And the three emerged, laughing into the sunshine.
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 06:04
((I'm back! Yay, and good job on the story so far, I love it!))

Frodurien ran to get a clean cloth, and freshly washed bandages. She set them outside and walked back inside. She grabbed a pitcher and filled it with clean, cold water from the well. Carefully, she walked back to the place she had left the bandages and cloth.

She smiled at the sun that kissed her face as she waited for Denother to come back. Frodurien had grown very fond of him, he was nice and didn't treat her as if she didn't have a brain. Why, whenever she was with any of the other soilders, they treated her like she was a scarecrow, just because she couldn't say anything didn't mean she couldn't think it.

Finally, she looked over towards the river and saw Den walking quickly over to her. Frodurien smiled at him and let him take off her old bandages. Although he was a big, strong man, he handled her softly, and it hardly even hurt when he started to put on the new bandages. As his taller, older looking brother came up suddenly from behind him, Frodurien was startled, she hadn't seen him since the battle.

With his brother nagging at him from behind Den started to get agrivated, Frodurien could tell by the expression on his face. When he had finished, and was tying the knot, he lost his soft touch, Frodurien had to bite her lip, hard, to keep from yelping, and she winced. But Den hadn't noticed and he went inside to talk with his brother. When they both emerged from the doorway, they were laughing, and she whispered a "thanks" to him, although he wasn't watching. The tea didn't taste good to her, it must've had some healing herbs, but she didn't want it.

Frodurien started to feel her heart beating in her head again, and she quietly ran off, trying not to attract anyone's attention as she escaped from the men and ran down to the river. She looked back, making sure no one had followed, and she tried to untie the knots. They were much to tight for her to untie, and she couldn't think straight for the blinding pain she felt as she fought with the bandages. She soon gave up and knelt over to take the cool river water and touch it to her face. The pain subsided to much smaller amounts when she wasn't tugging at it, and she wiped away a couple of tears that had streamed down her face when she was fighting the bandages.

Frodurien tucked her knees close to her body and watched the sun shine off of the river. Nature was always curious to her, and she loved to watch things grow and things shine, and even the birds songs were like the sweetest music to her. She sighed, she would love to just stay there forever, but she knew she couldn't, and she never would. As she looked at the river, she saw Den's face, smiling at her from the depths. This made her laugh, for she loved Den, but she knew he could never love her back. To his eyes, she would remain a child, and so she forced herself, to love him as a brother, an older brother that she never had.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 08:44
"I love to hear a good laugh." Den in turn laughed as Fro jumped to hear his voice. As she had been imagining his reflecton in the water he had actually come up behind her, wondering where she had got to and hoping to apologise for his surly behaviour as he had dressed her wound.
He sat beside her, "I'm sorry for just now." He sighed, "Only Thon and me had had a bit of a... misunderstanding. I hope I didn't get too rough." Fro shook her head but a look of pain in her eyes told a different story, Den frowned and ran his hand over the knot he had tied, "You're just trying to be polite! that is way too tight, it must hurt!" He quickly undid the knot, struggling slightly, Eru he must have been angry when he tied this, then re-did it much more gently. "There, that should be better." He lay back, supported on his elbows and looked around, "You know, you have a beautiful country here. You should count yourself lucky. Anyway," He stood, "While Thon sorts out the younger, more enthusiastic elements in out midst, I have practice fights to organise. They should be good, feel free to come and have a look if you feel like it." And he sauntered off into the sun shouting as he went, "Caraedry! Sorrel! Get your sword out! Now!"
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 11:11
Frodurien smiled at Den after he fixed her bandage and she watched his eyes roam over the countryside. "You know, you have a beautiful country here. You should count yourself lucky. Anyway," Den got up, "While Thon sorts out the younger, more enthusiastic elements in out midst, I have practice fights to organise. They should be good, feel free to come and have a look if you feel like it." Frodurien nodded and watched his receding back as he left her. "Caraedry! Sorrel! Get your sword out! Now!" She heard him yell and she smiled. She remebered when her mother talked about Rangers, she said all of them were wild, rough outsiders that Frodurien should stay away from. But, she knew now that none of them were. At least, she thought, not all of them.

Frodurien got up and dusted off the back of her dress. She walked over the hill where Den had just left, and she looked down on a fight. It looks so real. She thought, until it was over and they started laughing and wrestling with each other. Frodurien smiled and sat down on the hill. She had a good view from up on the grass, and she didn't feel so very short.

Frodurien smiled as Den got up and started to fight with one of the men from the other fight, apparently the winner, for he was very good. It went on for a while until Den knocked the other ranger over. She smiled excitedly, knowing that must mean he had won, and clapped. Uh oh. She thought as she saw his older brother had gotten up and moved into the circle, apparently they were both going to fight each other.

The hobbit-lass shook her head, and giggled to herself. Suddenly she heard a twig snap. The sound made her jump, for she hadn't expected it. Frodurien turned her head in the direction of the sound and saw a bush move. Looking back, she noticed Den and Thon were busy fighting, and nobody else had noticed it. Quietly, she ran down the hill and hid behind a tree. Studying the bush, she saw a foot underneath it. It wasn't an ordinary foot, for it was discolored, and she quietly ran to another tree that was closer. When she found out what it was, she stifled a scream. An Uruk foot! It must be a spy. She thought, and quickly decided what to do. She ran quietly back to the further tree and picked up a rock.

Knowing full well what she was about to do was dangerous, she picked up another. She threw both rocks feircely at the Uruk's face, (which she could now she in the bush) she looked back at him to make sure he saw her as she stepped out from behind the tree and into his view. As he started at her, she took off down the hill right into the middle of the fight, almost getting hit by Thon's sword as it came down towards Den. She pointed towards the Uruk, who had gotten dangerously close by now.
indianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 01:57
Carrey sat in the kitchen with Frodurien peeling potates, oinions, squash, and carrots for supper, and talking. Well, she was doing most of the talking, Frodurien was sitting and listening. " Frodurien, I hope Denother comes back with that aethelas. Speaking of which, I fogot to make some more bandages. Will you finish peeling these veggies, then chop them into the largest two kettles I have?"
When Frodurien nodded, she continued " I have to run down to the market square to buy more linnen. I'm all out, and there are 7 men who need dressings changed."
Carrey waved a quick goodbye to Frodurien, who was sitting behind a mound of veggies, grabbed her purse, and was out the door.
The market wasn't very far, just down the road and over the river. Carrey walked up a store that sold medical supplies, bandages, ointments and the like.
Walking up to the counter, she told the hobbit behind the counter what her situation was and could she advise her on what to buy.
The proprieter nodded, and went about the store selecting differeing rolls of bandages, several ointments to help the healing of scars, and five jars of a burn ointment, just in case.
CArrey thanked the lady, paid, put all the items in her veggie basket, that being the largest she had, and then headed for the Laughing Robin.
When she got back to the kitchen, there was still no sign of Denother, and Frodurien was done peeling but still chopping.
" Let me put these in the closet and then we'll see about getting you some more tea."
Frodurien nodded, her jaw still incredibly sore.
Carrey bustled down the hall, trying to be quiet so as not to disturb the wounded men. She opened the closet, put the supplies on a shelf, then closed the door. As she turned to walk back to the kitchen, what should come flying by her head but a pillow! Those rangers were at it again she thought to herself. She held the pillow tightly and crept down the corridor to the room where it seemed to come from. She was right, it was coming from the room just down the hall. She poked her head around the corner to see if the men were still playing, and they were, so to there surprise, she jumped into the middle of the room and began to pillow fight with the rest of them!
They were so surprised at getting caught , and then having Carrey fight with them, they didn't know what to do.
After buffeting them for a few seconds, Carrey slipped out again, chuckling to herself. It had been years since she had participated in a pillow fight.
Walking back to the kitchen, Carrey filled a tea kettle with water, added the pain relief mixture, and set it to boil. Turning back to Frodurien, she said that it would only be a few minutes before the tea was done. " Then" Carrey said with a twinkle in her eye " YOu get to go back to bed. I really appreiciate all your help in here. I never would have been able to get the bandages and finish supper without your help."
Hearing the whistling of the teapot, she poured her friend a large mug and told her to drink up.
After Frodurien had finished the mug of tea, CArrey helped her back to her room and put her to bed.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2004 08:46
Den prepared to jump over a singing downwards slice from Thon but found himself actually trying desperately to avid treading on Fro as she ran through the middle of the two combatants, pointing frantically behind her.
"Wha..?" He began, looking after her. Thon however had been a little more 'on the ball' and had looked where she was pointing.
"URUK!" He yelled, spinning to face the massive creature.
The momentum of its mad dash after Fro had carried the Uruk right into the practice ring and into reach of Thon and Den's swords.
"Flank!" The older man ordered as he himself held the monster's attention.
Den circled behind and the fight truly began.
Thon was feinting and striking at every opportunity, trying to mortally wound, but not kill the creature while Den tried to just plain stick him.
Den won. The Uruk tried to deliver a powerful downward stroke to Thon's head, but his raised arm left the most vulnerable part of his body exposed. Den trust hard into the creature's armpit, wincing as he felt its bones crack, and twisted with all his might. The Uruk's heart was shredded in its chest. It shuddered, then fell and lay still.
"Well done! Now we can't find out who it was working for!"
"You're welcome!"
"You know I didn't mean it like that."
"I know. Anyway, who says we can't find out?" Den demurly kicked the body over so it lay on its back. The two leather straps over its chest were unadorned save for one small crest over the heart. It showed a black circle on a red and orange ground.
"S***!" Den ran hard into the kitchen where Carrey was making dinner. "We have a problem!"
"Why?"
"Sauron has set his sights on the Shire. Eru only knows why. But if he comes in force, which he hasn't... yet, you'll know about it, but only for as long as it takes for his monsters to rip you throat out!"
Thon came in at the tail end of this speech., "Calm down Den." He pushed his brother into a chair, "We can take these and send for re-enforcements after."
"Yes. Yes. I know. It's just, you can understand why those crests make me edgy. Last time we saw them we were barely teenagers and..."
"I know." Thon turned to Carrey, "But you must alert the village. They must evacuate to somewhere that is not here and is not towards where the Uruks are massing. Can you do that?"
indianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2004 12:42
(( OOC sorry that part was out of place. I had tried for a week and a half to post it, and by then it was out of place)))

Carrey nodded her head and began thinking.. Where would be a safe place that would be fairly easy to get to, but easily defensible? And, would the other hobbits listen to her? A thought hit her... What if she organized a month-long party in the neighboring farthing, and got everyone to go? That would work! Everyone knew that hobbits love to celebrate, and a party would be just the thing to get them to evacuate.
Carrey looked up at Thon and Denother and said " Well, the only thing that i can think of is to throw a party in another Farthing of the Shire, and invite eveyone here. Nobody would listen to me, if I said that monsters were invading. They would look at me like I'm crazy.
If it's all right with you, I need to borrow a messenger, and send him over to Crickhollow, where my cousin Rosie Gamgee lives. I'll explain why I need her to throw a party, and tell her that i'll help with the expenses."
Carrey paused and looked up at Denother. " I hate to be rude, but I'm out of money. I used the last bit to make the last payment on the inn, which is now mine. I have nothing left for food, wine, ale, or medicinse."
She turned appealing eyes to the rangers.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 08:35
Thon grinned, seeming for as econd almost identical to his brother, "That sounds perfect!" He laughed, "And, though we don't have a lot of money on us, I'm sure we can chip in."
"Well? What are we waiting for?" Den stood and made his way to where he had left the rest of the Rangers, "Quentin! I've got a job for you!"

Soon the young Ranger had been dispatched to Crickhollow and the others were cutting down the gear int heir packs to the absolute minimum.
"Rations for a week. Shirt. Breeches. Whetstone and oil. Extra throwing knives. I'm done." Den tied up his pack and went to wait by the gate for his comrades.
They were going to move out just before dsuk and, with luck, reach the Uruk's camp at about midnight. They wouldn't attack until dawn but the extra time would give them a chance to assess the situation.
The morning would see the diversion and oush to get the majority of the Uruk's force intot he box canyon, penned in by half the Rangers, the other half would go up on either side of the canyon and dot heir best to wipe out the enemy below them.
Easy. Like shooting rats in a barrel. No problems.
There was only one thing about plans, Den mused, and that one thing is: - They can go wrong.
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 05:07
Frodurien pulled Carrey away after the men had dispersed to their rooms and dragged her over to the slate where she had placed her plans for the attack before. She found a piece of paper with a quill lying next to it. frantically, she ran over to the other table and grabbed a bottle of ink one of the rangers had forgotten. Quickly, she wrote a note to her friend. It read:

Carrey, I can help you with expenses for the party, and will help you in any other way you ask. I will post a notice in the town square, although talk of the party will pass it around quickly enough. But first, I need you to get Den for me, I am losing energy from not eating, so could you? I need him now, tell him it is urgent.

"But..." Carrey said, and then as Frodurien literally pushed her out of her chair, she decided she need not ask questions. Carrey ran, calling loudly for Den. She nearly knocked him over as he stepped out from the group of rangers. Frodurien saw her frantically explain something, with a confused look on her face, and ended up pointing toward her in her seat. Frodurien watched him run over to her.

"What's wrong? Does your jaw hurt?" He asked, and was surprised to she her shake her head no. Truth be told, as vigorously as she shook her head, it started to pain her, but that was nothing of the point. She scribbled a note, and slid it over to Den. Quietly he read:

Den, he was a spy. I saw him in the bushes and I deliberately threw a rock at him to get his attention. I made sure he saw me and ran as fast as I could back to you. At first I thought, 'one less uruk to fight in the battle' but now I see it would be helpful in other ways too.

Den looked up at her and looked at her pleased and excited face. She noticed confusion in his glance and snatched the paper back. She scribbled frantically, and now it was hardly notable.

I can show you where he was in the bushes, and you can follow his steps, trace them back to were he was. Back to his camp.

Frodurien studied his smile and then as he spoke, she held her tired, weak body up with her anxious arms, steadying herself on the chair.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 08:17
"Nice one!" Den grinned, "I'll go tell Thon. Really, you Hobbits need to be given more credit, I guess you just go to show that size doesn't matter."
He stood, casting a quick eye over the rest of the paper as he did so. "Hang on." He pointed to the message about weakening due to lack of food, "Is this true?"
Fro srugged non-commitally but her eyes were tired and her arms were beginning to sag, "You should have... said something before." His voice softened and he smiled, "You're going to love what I'm prescribing for it though. Honey. And lots of it. Sit and suck the spoon, it'll keep your energy levels up."
He shook himself and seemed to remember hsi mission, "Right, anyway, Thon..." Den turned on his hell and stode away to find his brother.

Meanwhile, upstairs, Thon had finished his own packing and had wandered off to find Eleyn.
He discovered her in her room packing her own bag.
"What are you doing?"
"What does it look like?"
Thon shifted uncomfortably, she'd hate him for what he was about to say, but there was only one thing he could do and still be able to live with himself, and that was to say it.
"Melleth nin, I want you to stay here." He didn't give her a chance to respond, "I mean, it's going to be dangerous and messy out there, blood, guts, arrows and blades all over the place. I wouldn't be able to concentrate if you were in the middle of all that. I wouldn't be able to live with my guilt if I let you go in and you were injured. I just think it would be best if you stayed here." There, he'd said it, he recoiled slightly and waited for the verbal flood he was sure stood poised to engulf him.
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 08:50
Frodurien watched him leave. He was becoming something like an older brother to her, something she had always wanted. Then she remembered what he said. Honey? She thought. Why didn't I think of that? All well, I haven't seen honey or tasted it for at least a year. Hobbits were never to keen when it came to honey, although they loved the taste, it was hard to get to, for normally it was up high in trees, and bees were always hanging around. Nobody in their right mind would like to get stung, so it was considered precious to the Hobbits of Hobbiton. Although, they always had an abundant supply whenever she visited Buckland ... but Bucklander's were considered foolish and meddlesome, so they would have gone to get honey even though it was dangerous.

Frodurien shook her head, she had been having a daydream about the taste of honey, and had been sitting on the ground (She slid off her chair and hadn't bothered to get back up) for goodness knows how long. She forced herself to use her muscles, and walked over to the hill. She didnt feel like climbing it yet, and she wanted to make sure Den knew where she was once he came out of the inn. She merely sat on the grass and waited for him to find Thon and come out to her. She had nearly dozed off when she heard someone yelling at the top of their lungs. It sounded like Eleyn was berating someone for not thinking she could do something, but she couldn't make out all of the words, and she didn't feel up to snooping around in other people's buisness. She laid back on the side of the hill and looked up at the sky. The sun was dancing on her skin and the clouds were all in funny shapes. She felt as free as a small child while she figured out what shapes the clouds were in. Frodurien was there for quite a while untill Den and Thon came out. Thon looked upset about something, but Den was beaming.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 11:32
Ooc - YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

Ic - Den had been smiling at Thon being so thourougly cowed by a woman! But his smile widened as he saw Fro lying at the base of the hill, her lips moving slightly as she stared up at the clouds.
"Wakey wakey!" He called as he approached.
Fro sat up and grinned.
"Come on then! Show us where we're off to!" Fro struggled upright and started to climb the hill.
"Oh no you don't!" Den took two long strides to come up behind her and scooped her up into his arms, "I'm not letting you walk anywhere until you've raided the honey pot!" the little Hobbit wriggled slightly, "Oh don't worry, I'll put you down when we get there!"
Laughing, with a distinctly morose brother in tow they made their way up to the crest of the hill where Fro had been watching the practice fights.
"Right where was he?" Den gently deposited his burden and waited as she gestured to the bush in which the Uruk had been hiding.
Thon crossed over to the bush and poked his head in it, walked all around it and eventually crouched beside it.
"Perfect." He muttered, "If this trail is anything to go by, we have them just where we want them."

In the yard of the inn below the rangers were congregating, their swords clanked at their sides as men checked that they could draw them smoothly. Chain mail clinked as links were checked for even a hint of rust and prayers were whispered to whatever gods may be listening that all present now would return unscathed and intact. Please.
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 10:24
"Perfect." Den said, "If this trail is anything to go by, we have them just where we want them."

Frodurien smiled broadly, keeping her mouth shut. She was so excited. Finally, he scooped her back up into his arms and she held on tight as they walked back to the hill. They were walking down the hill when a thought haunted her. What if the orcs hurt, or even killed the men? She leaned up and summuned up all her courage to whisper into his ear.
"Den," she whispered softly trying not to move her jaw much, "promise me you'll come back." Although it was only a whisper, it was filled with a sad sort of longing and worry. She hoped he would say yes, she even prayed for that to be his answer. She looked up into his eyes, looking for the answer before he even said a word.
"Please." She whispered, before he could say anything. At first he looked stunned that she even said anything, then he looked sympathetic. She started to dread what his answer would be. What if he told her he couldn't, what if he said he might not, but, what if he said he will, would she even believe him? But before she could answer her own question, he answered...
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 08:16
"Den, promise me you'll come back." The quiet longing in that one small whisper struck Den to his core. "Please."
"Of course I'll come back Fro." He tried to inject a note of levity into his voice but all he managed was just as much of a whisper as Frodurien's, "Of course I will." Images of his mother just before that fateful day, many years before, played through his mind and he barely noticed as he whispered the words his father had spoken so often, "With my shield or on it."
For a second or two he walked on in silence as Fro sat on his hip, her arms around his neck, then he realised... she had just spoken!
"Hey! You know something?" He looked down at her, "You may just be able to get some of that famous Hobbit ale down yourself tonight!" He ruffled her hair and grinned charmingly, "Just remember to leave some for me!"
When they once again reached the yard he put Fro down and turned to Thon.
"Well, we have our intelligence. It's your call."
"Thanks Den." The older man stepped forward and adressed the group assembled before him, "Today we go to battle." A ragged cheer went up from the Rangers, "It will be dangerous and one or many of us may never return. But we were given this posting and it is our sworn duty to protect those in the Shire. Details and positions will be given once we are there. Are there any questions?" Not a sound broke the determined silence that had decended. Thon knelt in front of Carrey, "Remember, keep everyone away from here for as long as you can. There's no telling how long we'll be mopping up stragglers."
"I know," the little, blond Hobbit looked serious as she stared straight back into Thon's eyes, "They'll be too busy partying to even think of home."
"Good." The commander straightened and began to walke up the hill towards the Orc camp, shouting as he did so, "MOVE OUT!!!"
Againt he men cheered and fell in behind Thon, marching towards what could turn out to be the salvation of the Shire, or the doom of all concerned.
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 06:38
"Of course I'll come back Fro." He whispered. "Of course I will." Frodurien wasn't very convinced, he sounded scared to her. Then he muttered something she could hardly catch. "With my sheild or on it." This puzzled her, but she decided she shouldn't ask him. "Hey! You know something?" He said, looking down at her, "You may just be able to get some of that famous Hobbit ale down yourself tonight!" Frodurien smiled, his sudden cheerfulness made her feel sure he would come back in one peice. She smiled up as he ruffled her hair, messing with her long, blonde curls, he grinned, handsomely. "Just remember to leave some for me!" She nodded and smiled even wider.

He put her down as they reached the yard and turned to his brother. "Well, we have our intelligence, it's your call." His brother smiled, saying thanks and then addressing the entire crowd. The rest happened so quickly, as she was lost in her thoughts. She was brought back to the present when she heard Den yell: "MOVE OUT!!!"

Frodurien looked up and smiled and waved, hoping to catch Den's eye. As soon as they were out of sight, she was just able to get back to the table before she broke down and cried, her head was in her arms and she sobbed, unaware of the pain that was steadily increasing in her jaw as it was pressed against her wrist.

((I won't be able to post again until the 1st of august, I am going to the beach with my friend and her family.))
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2004 11:46
Ooc - Well that's alright then 'cause i'm off for a week and wont be able to post either. I'll find the thread when I come back and bring it back to life again. I promise.
Btw 'With my shield or on it' means he'll come back alive - carrying his shield - or dead - being carried on his shield.

[Edited on 25/7/2004 by Alsin_of_the_Forest]
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 02:40
Ooc - I'm back!!! Now, what to write? What to write?

Ic - The Ranger squad silently followed the trail of the dead orc. Thon at the head of the line was constantly on the alert for ambush while Den, positioned at the back, kept the others moving and focused with well placed whispers and gentle nudges.
Soon enough they were crouched in the bushes overlooking the lip of a small box canyon, watching the black smoke from the Orc's campfires spiral up into the darkening sky.
"Quentin, Sorrel, Caraedry. With me. Den, Tanis, Caramon. The other side. The rest of you, take the exit. Not one Orc must leave." He shifted slightly, loosening his sword in its scabbard, "Any questions? No? Good. Go."
The men stood and moved to their given places. Den arrived at the opposite side of the canyon and unshipped his longbow and stood ready, his men at his side.
Looking around he was amazed at how clear the air seemed to be, how loud and pure the sleepy birdsong was and how beautifully the full moon illuminated the scene. It seemed that being so close to possible death made life seem worth living.
Unbidden an image of fro appeared in his mind's eye. She was laughing and clapping at the practice fight and seemed almost elven in her innocent beauty. Yes, Den decided, life was definatly worth living.
Suddenly a scream echoed from below and an Orc, vividly outlined in the light from his fire, fell with an arrow protruding from its throat.
"Thon's signal! Fire!"
Den let fly and had another arrow nocked in the blink of an eye.
Something thudded into a tree beside him and he turned to see a black shafted arrow quivering scant inches from his face.
"Damn!" He swore under his breath, "Move! They heard us, be silent and dn't fire until we've stopped somewhere!" He began to crawl slowly to the right to avoid the arrows coming faster now from the besieged Orcs below.
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 04:57
((that was great! i really liked it, now, my turn, umm, think, think, oh, I've got something!)))

Frodurien tried to stop crying with all her might, she kept trying to think of Den winning the battle, but it was all in vain. Her mind kept wandering back to pictures of Den with an arrow through his arm. It was horrible, and she let out a heart wrenching scream when she pictured him getting shot in the chest and falling to the ground. Finally, she tore her face from her arms and threw herself on the ground. If she hadn't been spotted, she would have fractured her arm, for she almost fell into a deep hole. An older hobbit, Fresky Derins, spotted her and ran to help her up.

Fresky, a handsome, caring hobbit, looked concerned as he noticed Frodurien was a beautiful young hobbit, and his look of concern deepened. He helped her over to a chair and sat her down with surprizing gentleness for a strong, muscular hobbit. (He was a builder.)

"Shh, now lassie, there's a good girl." He said as she had slowed her crying. "Now, what are you worrying your pretty little head for?" He asked, as he wiped the rest of her tears from her face. Frodurien took a deep breath and grabbed a forgotten cup of tea from the table, it was still warm, so it numbed the pain in her jaw enough to talk, as long as she didn't move her mouth much.

"M-my f-friend went t-to fight and I d-don't kn-know if I will ever s-see him again." She said, trying to hold back her tears, but unabe to control her lower lip from trembling. Fresky looked a little confused, so she went on. "He is a-a ranger." this seemed to clear things up enough for him.

"Oh, well, I can't really say what to do about that ... but--" He noticed her looking scared "I can say that he is most likely going to come back alive, if not unscathed." He cast around in his brain thinking of something else to say. "Is your friend a good fighter?"

"Oh, yes, he's wonderful!" She retorted as if he had said he wasn't. "Den is the best fighter I know of!" She said proudly.

"Well then, isn't it odd to be worrying about him?" He asked, and she looked up at him, her eyes shining with gratitude, the only way that moment could have been better is if Den ran out of the woods and kissed her.

"Thank you!" She said, and she truly meant it. She walked over to him and kissed him on the cheek. "That was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." She said as she hugged him.

He was astonded, he hadn't expected her to kiss him, but he really enjoyed it, for she truly was beautiful, he felt as if a princess had just kissed him. "Your very welcome, milady, is their anything else I can do for you?"

"No, no, you have already done more than I could ever have done for anyone. But, is there anything I could do for you? Anything at all, I am willing, it would help me get my mind off things." She said, and stared into his eyes, she looked so hopeful, it was all he could do.

"If you would grace me with your presence during a walk." It was her turn to look astonded, seeing her do that he added: "You are very lovely, and I would love to have some company."

"Oh, of course." She blushed scarlet, and smiled silently as he took her hand and led her toward the street.

[Edited on 2/8/2004 by Frodurien]
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 02:58
Ooc - glad you liked it Fro. I can see some fun coming up between Fresky and Den once he comes back! lol!!

Ic - Holding his hand up for the halt Den let fly with his next arrow, felling a particularly large Uruk who seemed to be thinking about making a break for it through the small force that held the canyon mouth.
Both forces of Archers had, between them, killed off a large proportion of the enemy and those that were left had marked their positions and were keeping well clear. It seemed a stalemate had been reached.
Suddenly the call of a Barn Owl echoed eerily over the field of battle and Den's head jerked up.
"Thon! To the fight men! Sword out!" Without waiting to see if the others were following him he dove feet first down the steep wall, one foot held before him to brace his landing and his sword held high in threat.
Arrows hit the stone besode him and thudded into space he had occupied mere seconds before, but his luck held and he reached the bottom before the orc he landed by realised the mortal danger it was in.
Its head rolled to the ground but Den was already looking for another opponent. A small but well armed orc came at him from the side, hoping to catch him off balance but he swung to avoid it and felled it with a devastating blow of his sword hilt.
Caramon and Tanis suddenly appeared beside him, dust from their slide down the hill momentarily masking their movments giving them the element of surprise, and a three pronged attack was born.
Thon's voice could just be heard shouting orders to his own men and the screams of the dead and dying made for a hellish counterpoint to grunts of effort and the ring of steel on steel. But none of this seemed to affect the Uruks and slowly but surely, Den's formation was driven apart.
Surrounded on all sides the young soldier was at his limit, fatigue began to set in as he lifted his heavy sword time and time again, he wanted to cough as smoke from doused fires clogged his windpipe.
Out of nowhere an Uruk was before him, it's barbed blade swinging for Den's stomach. He tried to parry the blow but his tired arms refused to obey.
He cried out as the cold steel bit into his flesh and he feel to his knees, panting, clutching at his midriff, waiting for the killing blow to fall.

Ooc - God I love cliffhangers!
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 03:04
((oh no! he can't die, fro wouldn't be able to live with herself! with her and Fresky, but then, he can't die yet, a gallent rescue is in store, right? LOL, im so into it, this is my fav rpg right now, although i wish there were more people, but never mind, this is so exciting!))

Frodurien felt all her worry about Denother dissappear as she peered into Fresky's eyes. After all, he is rather handsome, and I could never be loved by a ranger. Den must think of me as a baby sister. Once she thought this, she felt as if she could hit herself in the face. She felt like crying again, but then noticed that she was still walking with her newfound friend, so she held her head high and swallowed the feeling. Then she realized she hardly knew the man, not even aware of his name, and she hadn't given him hers, so, she couldn', shouldn't be holding onto his arm. But once she decided she wold ask him his name, he beat her to it.

"My name's Fresky, Fresky Derins. I'm sorry I hadn't told you before, but I was to worried about you to bother with formalities. So, what is your name, milady?" Fresky asked.

"Oh, sorry, it's Frodurien Fairborn. I was about to ask you the same." Frodurien said quite blankly.

"Oh, that's a beautiful name. It matches your beautiful face." He said, she blushed deeply as he said it. "Umm, I can't hide my curiousity, but what is your jaw in bandages for? Is it a bad tooth?" He looked kind of embarrassed for having to ask.

"Oh, no, I sprained it."

"Your tooth?"

"No, silly, my jaw." He looked shocked, and she was ashamed of answering his question in the first place.

"I should take you to a doctor, has anyone looked at it before?" He looked extreamly concerned, and shocked at the prospect of her not telling him about it before.

"Yes, my friend has, and I can assure you he is as good at doctoring me up as any doctor." She told him firmly.

"No, I'm taking you to the doctor." He said matter-of-factly, and she could tell the subject was closed. As soon as he said it, they turned down a smaller road, towards the doctor's house, she knew he was taking her to Lamen Holied's place. They turned a corner and were there in ten-minutes. She was flushed, for he had walked very fast, and she had to almost jog to keep up with him. Once they got there, one person was in the waiting room, and another was just being shown in. They would have to wait. She chose a seat as he walked up to tell Mrs. Holied they were waiting (she was his secratary.) Once he came to sit down, she pretended to be very interested in a book.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 09:44
Ooc - lol! Den's not going to die, this is the beauty of having two characters, you can use one to save the other! It's great!
And what a character Fresky's turning out to be!
Just one question, how do you think up all these names, I'm crud at it, I nick them all from books!

Ic - "DEN!" Thon had just glanced over to see how his younger brother was faring when The Uruk's blade had felled him. "NO!!"
The battle was nearing its end, the grass was running black in the moonlight, with whose blood it was impossible to tell, war cries and pained screams mixed until it was impossible to tell one from the other.
But none of that mattered. Thon ran across the canyon floor, an uruk tried to stop him but was killed before he had finished his cry of challange, fear and grief lent Thon strength and he was beside Den's attacker faster than he could ever have thought possible.
Roaring wordlessly he swung at the creature's midriff connecting hard and causing it to drop its sword with a scream. As it fell Thon kicked at its head and the sickeining crunch was enough to tell him that it was dead, its neck broken.
"Den! Den speak to me!" He dropped his blade and knlt ont he ground by his brother, taking him in genlt arms and laying him down.
"Thon?"
He sighed wtih relief, "Yes. I'm here."
"Thon, tell... tell Fro... I'm sorry."
"For what?"
"I said... I'd be back." Den gulped air against the pain in his abdomen, "Please say... I'm sorry."
"You'll tell her yourself." Thon's voice was shaking and he didn't notice the sounds of battle behind him cease. "You'll live and you'll see her again." A lone tear rolled down his cheek as Den's back arched and he moaned in pain, "That's an order soldier. You will live!"
Sympathetic hands grasped his shoulders and raised his head.
"Captain? Captain, we won. The Uruks are no more." The news didn't seem to register. Quentin straigtened, "Tanis, Caramon, for god'ss ake see if you can find a blanket or something, anything we can carry Den back with."
The other rAngers hesitated before moving off, "Quen, do... do you think he'll pull through?"
"I don't know. I really don't know."

Ooc - No worries though, he'll live! But aww! So tender.
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 11:20
((OUCH! that must have hurt! god, I'm almost in tears, that was soo sad *sniff* but, I'll be okay. well, to tell you the truth, I have fun with it, like them to be really different, but I do like playing on the terms of merry and pippin, like, just last night, I found a tiny little kitten in my yard, and we decided to keep it, and, guess what I named it? Pippin. Not very original is it? But, it works.))

"What is your friends name?" Fresky asked, and Frodurien felt a stab of pain and worry as he asked it. She was trying to stop worrying about him, for she remembered he had promised her he'd come back.

"Denother." she said, trying not to sound to emotional as she said it, but a lump in her throat was beginning to form. Try as she might, she couldn't gulp down the feeling, and she buried her face in her hands. Fresky realized to late that he shouldn't have brought it up. He pulled her into a hug and wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"There, there, Frodurien, don't you worry. Why, you told me yourself he was the best fighter you knew, so why cry if you know he'll be alright?" Fresky hugged her tighter and didn't let go until she stopped crying.

"I know *sniff* but I can't help worrying about him, I love him, and I don't want to lose him." Frodurien put her hands over her mouth as if that could fix what she had just said. Her eyes widened in horror and she looked away from Fresky.

"Oh, I see." He muttered to himself and his heart dropped, he really liked Frodurien, maybe even loved her, so hearing she didn't love him back felt like a punch in the stomach. He turned his face towards the door to the back room and willed the door to open and them to be called back. He dreaded the awkward silence that was bound to come up between them. But, as if by magic, the door opened and they called Frodurien and Fresky to the back room.

Dr. Holied was a small, older hobbit, who was very learned about medicine. He had been taught by Gandalf the ways in which to mend with cloth and sticks, and even knew a little of the healing secrets of the elves. Frodurien had always looked up to him, and was glad it was him Fresky had taken her to.

Frodurien's jaw was numbed, and he re-set her with fresh, clean bandages. Then he gave her a cup of tea, mixed with crushed brown powder and a spoonful of honey. Her jaw instantly felt better, and she was able to move it with vigor. then he gave her a few round brown herbs that reminded her of brown onions.

"Crush them and add a spoonful into your tea three times a day. In a week, your jaw will be completly healed, and fully functional. Just promise me you will not chew anything until you are healed, and you can talk normally." Dr. Holied told her as he helped her off the high chair.

"Thank you so much!" She said and hugged him. Then she grabbed Fresky's hand and ran from the room. Fresky paid, much to the objection of Frodurien, and they were soon on their way outside.

To her surprize, it was getting dark. She hugged Fresky and bid him goodnight, but he insisted on walking her to the Inn. "It is my pleasure." He kept insisting, and finally she gave up and took his arm, letting him steer her back down the road towards the Inn.

((Wow, that was sort of long. All well, now her jaw won't be such a problem.))
indianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 06:37
Carrey sat on her front porch, just looking at the sunset. It had been quiet since the rangers had left yesterday. Frodurien had felt well enough to go home, and it was just her in the Laughing Robin. She had sent messengers out about the party in Crickhollow, but she wasnt' sure if she wanted to go.
As she spotted the evening star, she realized something. She missed those rangers. They were like overgrown boys, with thier pillow fights and all. Sje was lonley.
Suddenly, an idea hit her. Why not take food, medicine and some other supplies out to the rangers. They were only two days away, and with Daisy, her pony, she could carry alot more than by herself.
With that idea in mind, she packed baskets with fresh fruit, berries, ale, bread, cheese, mugs, and plates. In the other basket, she packed bandages, honey, a sleeping tea, relaxing tea, some herbs that helped pain, and some blankets.
Saddleing Daisy, she pushed the baskets on, and tied them to the saddle.
Walking back to the inn, she packed herself two changes of clothes, a heavy cloak in case it rained, some candles, and lunch.
On the front door of the inn, the put a sign that read " Closed."
Satisfied that all the fires were out, the doors and windows closed, she went into the kitchen and pulled out two knives, a long thing one, and a butcher knife. These she tucked into the baskets, in case she ran into any uruks that the rangers missed.
Climbing up on Daisy, she set off to find those rangers.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 07:59
Ooc - Aww!! Little kitty! Sooo cute!:love: And Hi there indianna, we thought you'd forgotten us! lol!

Ic - Caramon returned for his hunt around the Uruk's camp with a heavy blanket draped over one arm.
Quentin, being the best versed in the healing arts besides Den, directed the men in spreading it out and lifting the young soldier's body onto it while causing him the least amount of pain.
Soon they had all rested slightly, gathered the corpses of the uruks and set them alight that they could at least make the ground fertile with their deaths, and checked each other for superficial wounds that may have been missed.
Aside from Den there were no serious injuries and most cuts had stopped bleeding already.
"Move out. We go back to the Laughing Robin." Thon's voice was subdued as he motioned the men forward. Tanis and Sorrel, the largest of the Rangers, picked up Den between them and, ignoring his heart rending moans of pain, set off at a good pace back to the safety of the pub they had come to call home over the past few days.

The men had been travelling for many hours straight when Quentin glanced over at the men carrying Denother. The grey blanket slung between them seemed like a shroud and he shivered at the thought. Thon, almost not willing to believe what his eyes were telling him he noticed a dark patch in the centre of the material, a patch that was rapidly spreading!
He serrupticiously moved closer and listened for sounds of life.
The breathing from within was shallow, fast and laboured. Abandoning all pretence Quen rushed to Den's side and looked in at him. The man's face had gone deathly pale, his lips were blue and his eyes held a feverish cast.
"Halt! Put him down!" The young Ranger was already rummaging in his pack for a shirt to use as bandages.
Thon pulled up short at Quen's panicked cry and ran back to his brother.
"What is it?!"
"He's losing blood fast. Too fast. Sweet Elbereth!"
"What?! What can you do? Help him!" Thon clenched and unclenched his fists, if only to diguise the shaking that had started to consume them.
"I don't know how!" Quentin almost shouted, "I don't know how." He repeated, quieter. He had never felt quite so helpless in his life.
Neither of the men kneeling by the blanket noticed the other draw into a protective wall infront of them, nor did they hear the hooves beating a cheery rhythm on the road, approaching fast.
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 08:44
((hi indianna! good to see you again. But, I have bad news, well good for me really, but, anyway. I'll be gone for two weeks, in virginia with my dad, and i'm to stay at my grandma's house. I might be able to get on the computer from the library, I will try, but I will miss you guys :cry: ))

Frodurien told Fresky where her house was, and he held firmly onto her arm and took her all the way there. She bid him goodnight for the second time, and he bent down and kissed her cheek. She blushed, and couldn't think of what to say, for she really did love Den, but he couldn't love her, could he? She made up her mind it would be impossible, he would go and marry some other woman from Rohan or Gondor, not a hobbit-lass from Hobbiton. It was a fantasy of hers, nothing more. But she always felt butterflies in her stomach when she thought of him.

Fresky turned to go, smiling at her, but rather sadly. "'Night then, hope your friend comes back to you." He said, she felt a rush of grattitude towards him, and suddenly she felt sorry she had ever told him she loved Den, for in his eyes, she could see love, hopeless, innocent, unconditional love.

"Thank you, Fresky. Goodnight, and I hope I can see you again sometime." She said, and she really meant it, maybe she would get over Den and learn to love him. Fresky smiled so brightly, and the love in his eyes stopped looking so hopeless. He left, occasionally looking back towards her house, but Frodurien had already entered and crept up the stairs, and was climbing into bed. As soon as her head hit the pillow she was asleep, but her dreams were anything but peaceful. She kept seeing Den hurt, and near daybreak, she watched him fall, dead to the ground. She woke up screaming, white, pale and shaking all over. She was covered in sweat.
indianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 11:47
Carrey had been traveling for hours, but it felt like days to her. Stopping mid-day at a smalll laughing brook for lunch, she had eaten half of the lunch she packed, and saved the rest for supper. At sunset, she headed Daisy over to a stand of trees, and ate her supper on a huge rock, covered in moss. After that, she had kept riding, hoping to come across the rangers. Suddenly, she felt rather foolish. What was she doing, riding around in the middle of the night looking for the rangers? She had no answer for herself.
Later that evening, Carrey thought she heard voices up ahead! Tugging Daisy to a halt, she listened. Cocking her head, she put the reigns in her left hand and pulled out her long kitchen knife with her right. Smiling grimly to herself, she began to ride forward, slowly, listening for sounds.
Not a few minutes afterwards, she heard more voices, louder this time, and many. Carrey decided to keep riding, and meet whatever or whoever was around the bend in the road.

When she rode around the bend, what a suprise met her eyes! It was the Rangers! Carrey jumped down off her pony and looked for Denother. Where was he? Then she looked for Thon, his brother. When she finally spotted him, she rushed up to him.
" How did you do? Was anybody hurt? Where's Denother? Is he ok? Oh, I brought food blankets, and medical supplies, but I didn't know if you would need them."
Carrey suddenly was shy. Of all the rangers, she had only worked closely with Den, and didn't know the others very well.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 10:50
Ooc- Aww! Fro! Yeah, I'll miss you too. I'll keep putting in bits with indianna but it just wont be the same without you. I was hoping for some last ditch, love heals all thing with Den! I guess that'll just have to wait.

Ic - Thon raised his head as Carrey's voice intruded on his thoughts.
"We... we did well Mistress Carrey. The Uruks are no longer a threat to any being in Middle Earth." He let her make of that remark what she would, "As for the blankets and medical supplies," He paused and took a deep breath, "It always astonishes me as to how organised Hobbits seem to be, even when the world is falling down about their ears."
He fell silent and Quentin decided to step in, "Mistress Carrey, could you bring what supplies you have here please. Especially bandages and salves for bleeding and deep wounds."
"Of course," Carrey made to go, then the penny dropped, "Den! He's not...?"
"No, but he may be if we do not hurry!" Quen's eyes lost their accustomed softness, "Please. Bring the supplies here. We may also have need of your pony before the night is out."

Deep in his fevered dreams Den walked paths he had thought long gone. His fathers face appeared before him, laughing as he tried to master the sword or bow, smiling as he managed.
But suddenly it was not his father, but the Orc whose blade had ended his life, grinning as it advanced upon the scared twelve year old boy infront of him.
Running in the vaults of his mind Den could not escape the fiend behind him. Until, out of nowhere, a small face appeared in his mind's eye. Hobbit curls framed a plump face and large, luminous eyes almost, but not quite, took the attention away from the shell like lips as they parted in a shy smile.
"Frodurien."
indianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 04:39
As the Rangers offloaded the supplies, Carrey fidgeted nervously in place. Did they need her help tending Denother, or would she just get in the way?
Noticing that they didn't have a fire going, Carrey decided to make some supper for the men, while they took care of the wounded.
Gathering firewood around the outskirts of the camp, she cleared a circle in the center, and piled the wood up, tucking in bits of grass, leaves, and small twigs. Puling out her flint and steel, she lit the fire, but only after about 6 tries.
Smiling to herself, she began to pull food out of one of the bags that the rangers had taken off her pony. A stew would be best she thought. I'll put potatoes, carrots, leeks, onions, and a small piece of meat. That should be enough to satisfy them.
After she had peeled the veggies and placed them in the pot, she realized that there was no water, and she couldn't fill the big ketted by herself. She looked around. The only ranger not busy tending to wounds was one that she didnt' know very well. She gathered up her courage, squashed her nervousness, and asked him " Excuse me sir, Sorrel, would you be able to fill that big kettle a little more than half full? I'm trying to fix supper, but I am too small to fill it."
The ranger noddded, and went to fill up the pot.
Once it was bubbling happily on the fire, Carrey went to check on Denother.
Walking up to his brother, she asked " How is he? will he recover? I made some stew, it should be ready in a about an hour. After everyone gets a good supper, we can start back to the Laughing Robin. You can put Denother on my pony, and I'll walk."
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 10:33
Thon had managed to calm himself down, but only by attending to whatever small tasks Quentin gave him in an attempt to keep his mind off of Den's condition.
The younger Ranger had taken command, however temporarily, mainly because he was the only one keeping his head while Den lay in the bloodstained blanket, his life in the balance.
In response to Carrey's voice he ran a hand through his hair and gave a deep sigh before answering.
"He'll recover. But only if we can stop his bleeding. Quen says that nothing important is damaged internally, only a few blood vessels that... that are slowly letting his life... drain away."
The tall man dropped his head on his knees and covered it in his hands, his breath rasping in his throat as he tried to control himself. "He's too young, too idealistic to die. He still thinks that good will always triumph no matter what the odds stacked against them. This isn't the way to get proved wrong!" He blinked furiously as he felt the hot sting of tears threatening, "This isn't the way to get proved wrong!"
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 12:31
((Oh, my, *sniff* you made me cry again. But, yay, I'm finally back, and you'll never know how much I missed this rpg.))

Frodurien waited till light was shining in her window to leave her bed and go looking for the rangers. She left a note with her family as to where she would be and left after making herself some tea. The hobbit-lass walked quickly, as quick as she could walk without running, toward the Laughing Robin. Hopefully they would already be there, and she could smile and laugh at herself for being so stupid with worry. She nearly stumbled as she ran up the steps to the Inn and found the front door locked. Quickly, she ran around to the back and tried that door. It was locked too, and no lights were on. She galloped over to the stables to see if Carrey's pony, Daisy, was still there, but, that too, was missing. Frodurien could feel some of the blood drain from her face.

The hobbit-lass followed her instincts, looking around for the horse tracks. As soon as she found them, she ran along them, straight into the woods. Zig-zagging her way through the trees, following the path with which the pony's tracks were on, she slowed down. First and foremost, she shouldn't be this worried, Den was probably alive, probably even without any wounds, and second, she had developed a stitch in her side, and it hurt her to run. So she slowed to a brisk walk, applying pressure to her stitch with her hand. Of course, it wasn't what she was supposed to do, but it subdued the pain. She walked until the whole forest was full of light, it must have been about nine o'clock.

Frodurien trudged on, and after about another mile, she heard voices, male voices. At first her spirits rose, and she started to run towards the group, then she stopped, what if it wasn't her friends? She crept silently through the trees and peered out at them. She screamed with delight. "I can't believe it! You guys, you're back!" She ran up to Thon, but as she noticed his face, she stopped. His face was so cold, and death and sadness was written in his eyes. "W-where's Den?" She asked, somehow not able to choke down the lump in her throat. He pointed, and as he did, Frodurien looked at the blanket, the blood draining from her rosy cheeks. She slowly made her way over and peered at Den lying on the blanket. Her face turned almost as white as Den's and she fell to her knees. She put her face in her hands and started to sob.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 10:03
Ooc - YAY!! Fro's back! I missed you! How were your hols?

Ic - *Den's Dream*

Snow was falling. Snow and rain, stingingly cold and the type that soaked straight through even the thickest cloak leaving anyone unfortunate enough to be outside in it shivering with cold and dripping wet.
Around Den the night was drawing in and anything he could have seen in the whiteout was totally obscured.
"I've got to keep going." That was all he could think of. Keep going. If he stopped he was certain that something terrible would catch up with him, some dark presence that wanted to take him somewhere, somewhere he didn't want to go.
For what seemed like hours he trudged on while the darkness pressed in on him, the cold sapped his strength and his legs seemed to be getting heavier and heavier with each step. Occasionally Den would see what appeared to be lights on the distant horizon, but they were always dim and flickered out as soon as he tried to concentrate on them. Every time this happened he cursed for he knew .without knowing how, that if only he could reach one of those lights then he would be safe.
Finally, demoralized and exhaused, his reserves gone, Den sighed and slumped to his knees in the snow.
"Take me!" He shouted to the opressive night, "Take me!"
Suddenly he felt warmth on his cheeks and looked up to see the brightest light he had seen yet shining on the horizon. Unlike the others this one sayed as he focused on it and didn't waver or shift under his gaze.
Silently it called to the young ranger and he fought to stand.
"I'm coming." He muttered for he knew, here was salvation!
He resumed his painful trek throught he wilderness, his eyes fixed on the beacon ahead, letting it's warmth fill his thoughts and lend strength to his flagging muscles.
Little by little the light came closer and as it did so Den could feel the dark presence at his back dwindling, its hold over him loosening.
"I'm coming."

Quentin sat disconsolatly on the ground beside Den's still form. He had tried to comfort Fordurien but had not been able to find the words. He had done all he could, now it was up to Den to pull through this.
A movement caught his eye and his head jerked up.
Yes! There it was again! Den's eyelid had just fluttered!
"Come on. Come on." He muttere under his breath.
Slowly, every move seeming to be made by sheer force of will, Den's eyes fluttered open. His head turned to the weeping Hobbit beside him and his lips pulled into an incredibly weak smile as the silently formed one syllable, "Fro."
Frodurien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 01:15
((My hols?))

Frodurien felt Quentin move, and looked up, her eyesight blurred by tears. As she did, she saw Den's eyes open and watched him struggle with a weak smile. She blinked, thinking she was seeing things. His lips moved to form a silent word which looked suspiciously like 'Fro'. Her eyes lit up and her cheeks flushed with color. She smiled and grabbed at his hand. It was so cold, but he was alive, he was alive and he was going to be better! She leaned over as if the give him a hug and Quentin held out a hand to stop her.

"He is still quite weak." He said gravely, but in his eyes their was a happiness and calmness, now that he knew Den would recover. Frodurien nodded her head to show she understood, but held onto his hand as if he would die if she ever let go. In that moment her head was filled with only one thing, her love for Den. She leaned over and kissed his cheek. Then she blushed, for she was never that forward with a man she only knew for a week. As she held onto his hand, and felt it getting slowly warmer.

[Edited on 18/8/2004 by Frodurien]
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 07:59
Ooc - Yes your hols! It must be a Brit thing. Hols = Holidays (or vacation if you prefer)!

Ic - "He is still quite weak." Quen's voice penetrated Thon's dark despair.
"Still weak?" He lifted his head and glared at the younger man as if he were deliberatly trying to get his hopes up.
"Yes." Quentin sagged with relief, "He's woken up."
"He's what!" Thon leapt to his feet and reached his brother's side just as Frodurien leant back from him, blushing furiously.
"Den!" He dropped to his knees and clasped Fro's hands in his own as they wove themselves between Den's fingers, "I knew it! I knew it! You're to stubborn to die!" He laughed out loud then suddenly became serious once more and lightly tapped Den on the arm, "But don't you DARE do that again! You had me worried!"
"It's good to see you again Den." Thon jumped at the voice so clse behind him and turned to see the other rangers in a semicircle around the blanket Den lay on.
"Mornin' all." The whisper was barely audiable but brought a smile to Quen's face, same old Den!
"Right! We're moving out!" Thon stood and began barking out orders to get the makeshift camp tidied up so they could go back to the Laughing Robin. Once everyone was scurrying about to do his bidding he turned to fro still knelt at Den's side.
"Do you know a good Doctor around here?" He smiled at the irony of the situation, "Only Den was our healer and he's in no position to do anything much and Quen's pretty much exhausted his healer talents."
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email