Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Costumes - Accessories & Props
on: October 27, 2004 04:24
Well, I just got back from my party with my costume, and It was a smash. One guy kept on showing me off to just about everyone there, several people thought I bought the costume from somewhere, It was great! I looked so much like Frodo. I wish there was a contest around. I'll see if I can get some pics up. Buuut unfortunately it'll probably take a month or two. Oh well, we'll see.

[Edited on 28/10/2004 by The_seventh_Ringbearer]
_Mouth_of_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 08:41
Eldirn -- your costume is gorgeous! And you look equally as lovely! I'm envious of your skill.

The_seventh_Ringbearer -- looking forward to your photos!

Does anyone here know how to link chain mail? I'm just getting interested in the craft and need a point in the right direction.
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 01:03
Here's a good place to start, just for an explanation and a few pointers. It used to be part of a much bigger website but I've lost the link and google can't seem to find it. I expect it's still out there somewhere if you look. I'd love to try my hand at making chainmail LotR style, with slices of plastic tubing
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 06:08
Wish I had seen that several months ago. Probably would've saved me the trouble of making chain mail from wire. It was tedious and took forever to get one little square. Oh well. Still looked cool. :disco:
_Mouth_of_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 05:25
Awesome! Thanks Faramirs_first_kiss !
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 12:50
It looks like you've linked to it from your computer, which means you'll be able to see it but the rest of us won't. Try uploading it into a journal entry, then right-clicking on the picture and going to 'properties' and copying the location there, then putting that in the [img ][/ img] tags. I can't wait to see your costume!

[Edited on 15/2/2005 by Faramirs_first_kiss]
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 04:13
As I've said in my failed attempt to put up my pic, it's blurry, but for a first try, it's the best I could do. Hope you like!

link to pic

Edited to shorten link

[Edited on 8/23/2006 by Goldsand]
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 04:38
I found a slightly better pic. I look more like Frodo in the other one, but the quality of this one on the computer is better. The one on the right is my sister. She was Rebecca St. James. http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=1qq1js
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: February 16, 2005 12:45
Excellent! You cheated with the sandals, though Still, I don't blame you... I know someone who dressed as Sam and went round in barefeet all day... the soles of her feet at the end were literally pitch black. Definitely a cool costume, well done!
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2005 04:33
Thanks! And actually, I didn'tcheat with the sandals. I had figured out a trick that allowed some old stockings to be recycled and my feet to stay clean, but I didn't wanna destroy then on my driveway before I got to the church. Once I got there, the sandals got thrown into a closet. :disco:

[Edited on 16/2/2005 by The_seventh_Ringbearer]
sparrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2006 02:59
does n e 1 know where i can get/ how i can make a compass like Jack Sparrow's???

also - you know those pipes that Peter Pan has... n e 1 know how to make them?

thanx.
Amowiel_legolas86
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 02:17
Hey...does anyoneknow what wouldbe the best material to make arwens coronation crown...and how to do it...i made a costume for halloween which took alot of my time, as i wanted to make it in as much as an elven way as possible,so i hand cut and stitched...ive posted a pic below ,and wud appreciate to know what u think and what i cud do to make it better..

link to pic

thanks

Edited to shorten link

[Edited on 8/23/2006 by Goldsand]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 10:54
I was wondering how many here have carved their own walking sticks?
I have done a few but I am by no means a master carver of wood...
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 10:55
Carve? No. I have cut down apple branches and maple saplings for "swords" or quarterstaffs, though. If you want to know, apple wood is excellent for hard, tough wood, and a coat of varnish probably wouldn't do any harm. Walnut or oak would probably be your next best bet. I'll tell you what, though, we have dozens of sticks around the house, either for walking, so-called "lances", or practice swords. The only carving we do for these sticks, however, is peeling bark and stubs where little branches were. They're pretty crude.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
Well I don't usually cut down saplings but when the City of Portland does their tree pruning I usually ask for a few straight branches.
The city workers will cut the limbs down to size and take off most of the branches clost to the limb so I get a rough shaped stave...
I tend to wait a few months before pealing the bark and sanding the bumps prior to the actual carving which I do after 3 to 8 years of the stave drying...
Silverleaf prefers to wait 12 years before carving his staves and he likes to work in birch when he can...
I've a half dozen staves that have been drying 5 years now that I may carve up this summer...

Do you suppose that stave carving is a rare art now, or is it only normal practice for Elven and Half-Elven folk and fallen out of fashion among Humans?

CarpetWeaver
Council Member
Send Message
I carve many things but not wood. I did take a hike through the gumtrees near my grandam's house and found a really nice branch (that had already fallen off). It was perfect but I haven't gotten around to actually carving any wood. But Gum is nice for walking sticks/ staves.

I have a friend who's great grandfather made his own walkingstick. He said it was for when he gets old! Honestly a ninety-year-old talking about WHEN he gets old! I thought he was old already!

[Edited on 12/7/2006 by CarpetWeaver]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
Perhaps your friends great-grandfather is thinking like an Elf not counting the years and expecting aches and pains when he finally does get old!

As for me I'm 45 and already I have aches and pains but I'm not old yet...
Walking sticks do help on the steep trails whether they are carved or not.

We don't have gum trees around here so I am deprived of such wonders.
ArwenElfMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Costumes - Accessories & Props
on: March 24, 2012 05:26
http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/lembas.html
for all of you who want to fare like an elf, here is an awesome web site. They have a tutorial on how to make your own Mallorn Leaves (it works, trust me- ive tried it)and... LEMBAS!!! their recipe rocks, just to let ya know so yeah, this is the site forLembas and Mallorn leaves!
"What are we holding onto, Sam?" "That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo. and it's worth fighting for."
Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
Am putting a Sauron costume together and just finished up a quick version of his mace, so I thought I'd put it up here
Sauron's mace
~ Golden eye, fiery scale, a drake of flame guards your mountain, and spells your doom ~ ~ Heirs of Durin, reclaim your throne. Send the beast to his watery tomb ~
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
That's very nice for a quick version of his mace. It looks very cool.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Well, here is my Nazgul costume. The gloves aren't finished yet, and the sword was not done by me (though I really want to build it!)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, Ella, that is amazing!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you! And yes, it is me though my size is more to cosplay a hobbit
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
WOW. O.O That's a great costume, Ella!! You should wear it to The Hobbit and freak everyone out 'o their skins!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Mareth! If only they let me in, you bet I would!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thats why you stash it in a bag and put it on once your in your seat!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Jedi Knight Elrohir Sparrow
Council Member
Send Message
I just saw that up above people were talking about chainmail. A really good way to make it is, I've heard, to sew paper clips onto a white t-shirt. Never done it before, though, but it sounds easy enough! I'm just about finished with making Anduril. I'll post a picture here soon! And, if anyone has any suggestions for a Strider ranger costume, please tell me. I'm going as him for halloween, and I'm trying to get a head start on making the costume, seeing as how I don't already have any of the pieces in my wardrobe.

Ro
"A time may come soon, when none will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised." --Aragorn, Return of the King, pg. 767
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I've also heard that you can make chainmail with pop can tabs. Or soda can, if you don't live in the Northeast. If I can find a decent link, I will post it.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
You can also take a look at this thread with Ranger costume discussion.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Thalianost
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:I've also heard that you can make chainmail with pop can tabs. Or soda can, if you don't live in the Northeast. If I can find a decent link, I will post it.

I knew a guy in college who did that, you need a lot of tabs and a lot of string/twine. I prefer making mine the old fashioned way though.
Visit my Etsy Shop: The Tower of Or and Sable
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I started to make a little chain mail outfit for my sister's doll using pop can tabs, and it worked out to be pretty good. I'll have to find a picture.
Buffalo Bill
Council Member
Send Message
Post Eowyn's shield (1:1 screen accurate prop replica)
on: February 18, 2017 01:14
Hello to all. How are you?
I want to present a work I did a long time ago, about 5 years ago, and that I still doing for some interested collectors.

It is Eowyn's shield, which he uses when confronting the Witch King.

It is made entirely by hand in wood, resin and metal. All the marks, hits and aging is as it is seen in the film, being for now the best reproduction of this iconic shield.

The one I show you is my personal copy. It has the wooden handle. But what I do now, the handle is resin, since I have improved the design, being more realistic and faithful to the original seen on the screen.

Other copies

I hope you like it.
A greeting!
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Great job, Buffalo Bill. Welcome to CoE, and the Creations Forum. Post often and long, and of you have any more prop or costume creations, do share them with us. This one is impressive, I wonder how many of our LARPers would gladly buy such a one.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email