Register

Author Topic:
Aisheeya
Pilot of the Starship Aisukuriimu
Send Message
Post Writing a fanfiction
on: May 19, 2004 09:21
Hi,

I have worked as the fanfiction assistant for (precisely) a month now and read (at least!) dozens of your fics. Now that I have this chance, I want to talk about something very important - and I know your old (^__~) and faithful Lollypop agrees with me about this.

So: spelling and grammar.

As it says in the submission rules,
Correct grammar and spelling are a must! If your story contains more than one or two spelling errors, it will not be included. Please don't waste our time--run your story through a spellchecker, and have a few people look it over before submitting it.

Yet many authors seem to have overlooked this certain rule. It is true that correct spelling and grammar of English tend not to show up in chats etc. (actually they run away screaming ^___^), but we want the rules to be obeyed when it comes to fanfiction.

It is true that many of you aren't native speakers - I'm not - but if this is the case, you should know your limits: it isn't about fancy words and complex structures, but a good story. And that story won't be published if it contains too many errors. Knowing one's limits also applies to native speakers.

What are the typical problems then?
- Capital letters. Sentence begins like this. not like this. Also, it's Morgoth, not morgoth.
- Punctuation. It is easier to read a text that is divided correctly. And it's always nice to see punctuation used correctly when a person addresses another. Hey, Lolly, you agree, don't you?
And too much is too much. Three dots is enough to leave things open and one exclamation mark should work just fine (three is the maximum with them too).
- Little typos. When writing fast, these occur, but you should always check the text before sending it.
- Its and it's. Two different things, just like your and you're etc.

Ok, now I've told you what's wrong - is there something that might help with those problems?
- Dictionaries. Good ones, that is.
- Spell check. At least in Word there's a good one, I think.
- Friends, or anyone who might beta-read your story. There's a topic for that too.
- Concentration. It isn't about quantity, but quality.^

Well then, kids, go and write some good fics! Auntie has given her lecture. *roflol*

By the way, I suppose there are errors in this text too... Eeeep!
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Writing a fanfiction
on: May 19, 2004 10:47
By the way, I suppose there are errors in this text too... Eeeep!

Lol, there are none that I could see in there...

Hello, all! Just thought that I'd come in and say that Aisheeya makes brilliant points, and all would do well to heed the given advice.

Ah ... our good friend, punctuation; I have a thing about punctuation, it's really quite sad...

Can I just add further pointers to this? OK: character development. They are the one of - if not the - most important aspects of a story. A good character gives the tale more punch, and provides the all-important angst, drama, humour and more. But they cannot do this without being formed well by the author...

Character: what is their personality like? Do they have a temper? What is their sense of humour like? What does it take to get them riled?

History: the joy of LotR fan fiction is that most of the characters have a detailed history - although, having said that, there are some that have no back-history whatsoever *cough cough Legolas*, and so it is sometimes necessary to give them a background, should your story require one - making sure, of course, that what happens in their past is perfectly reasonable and not too far-fetched.

Time of birth with the thought of social context is always a good beginning: think about what is happening at the time - are there any wars going on? If not, is the peace sound or is it teetering on the edge of chaos? What kind of a family was your character born into? Good or bad?

What is the physical appearance of your character? With an original character (or OC), it is important to know, and often to have it written down for reference purposes - i.e what is their hair colour? Eyes? Height? Build? Do they have any distinguishing features that single them out from others? Remember - if you say that a character has green eyes in one scene and then brown in the other, reads are going to lose interest, for they will think that you don't know what you're doing. So keep them consistent throughout.

Personal skills - are they a doyen in any particular area, like, for example, Legolas is a doyen of archery? Is their skill their mark or livelihood? Is it vital for their survival or is it just something that they can use for leisure, like drawing. If they were deprived of their skill would it cripple them or would they be able to carry on regardless?

Love life. This is something that I don't touch in my fan fiction writing, personally, but I know that many people do. So, when it comes to writing such things in, ask yourself this: is it a reasonable relationship? When I say that, I mean really think about it first to make sure it is not ridiculous and is actually feasible - like an Elf/Hobbit pairing is not, unless it is a humour, perhaps.

How did they meet? Was it 'love at first sight', or did they have to work on it? Again, just like the history part, what is the social situation at the time of their relationship, bearing in mind that the bloke might have to go and fight; in which case, if well executed, you have the perfect ingredients for a nice tragedy.

How are they as a friend? Are they a close friend to anyone? Would they be willing to sacrifice their life in order to save a friend? How long have they known this person and how did they meet?

OK, everyone, methinks that I am done now, as I can't think of anything else to say.

But remember: writing fan fiction is all about fun, so ENJOY IT! It does not have to be a toil to do, and all that I have written above is just a series of helping pointers, no more than that.

Have fun,

Lindir
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2004 01:31
I also have something to add. When writing, you need to develop the environment. There needs to be a feel of SOMEthing. And the environment also includes what it looks like. To have a good visual picture gives the reader much more insight into your story.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2004 05:10
Aye, good points are being made. Word does have a spell checker. Having been a writer for a few years, and having written quite a bit of fan fiction, I have one or two more points to add.

Please try to make your fan fic realistic. Even though it takes place in Middle-earth, which is an imaginary world, Tolkien wrote The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as if they had actually happened: real life-type situations, reasonable plots and characters, I'm sure you get the point. Which means, no Mary Sues! I am sure the fan fiction mods have told you this already.

Another quick piece of advice that I would give is to not make all the characters the same. With this, I am talking about personality traits, not necessarily history. Good characters are important to a good story, whether it be fan fiction or original fiction, and the absence in either makes the story seem less interesting.

That's all I could come up with at the moment.

~Elizabeth
Aisheeya
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 06:23
Thanks for giving good advice here - makes our work a bit easier! But here comes some more...

- Dialogue:

Please, do not write like this:
"I need a cigarette." Said the crazy fanfic assistant.
But:
"I need a cigarette," said the crazy fanfic assistant.

- Spelling:

~ Homophones.

Homophones are words of the same language that are pronounced alike even if they differ in spelling, meaning, or origin, such as "pair" and "pear". Homophones may also be spelled alike, as in "bear" (the animal) and "bear" (to carry).
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/homofone.htm

Be careful with these. For example there are always so wonderful trio of piece, peace and peas.
"Peas of mind" sounds great, but it's rather unlikely that they fit in the context in Tolkien fanfic.

~ Tolkien's names.

Well, most importantly his own, but also the names he invented and used in his works. If you use them, spell them correctly. Pelennor seems to be the most difficult - I've seen probably half a dozen different versions of this.

- Double posting.

Happens sometimes by mistake, I understand, but please, don't re-submit the story before you have received an e-mail about what has happened to it. Double postings only slow down our pace and that benefits no one.

- Mary Sues.

Thank you, silvan_elf_princess, for mentioning this. I actually had in mind that I should write about them, because we still receive a good amount of this kind of stories. And every single time the reply is the same: we do not accept any Mary Sues.

Lolly has written about these lovely creatures, so you might want to check out the Creations Corner and perhaps take the Mary Sue test if you're writing a fic with an unbelievably talented and beautiful original character in it...

It must be admitted, that many of Tolkien's women really seem to be Mary Sues - like Éowyn for example: beautiful, tragic and in the end saves the day. But let's say it's his right to have written them and the rest of us must obey the rules of this site. ^___~

Well, that's about it for the time being. Have fun. Auntie goes to have that ciggy she's in need of.

Edit: Still don't know how to use these codes... -___-

[Edited on 18/7/2004 by Aisheeya]
Aisheeya
Send Message
on: September 16, 2004 05:31
Here's little something for all of you. It seems that some things about English grammar are a bit unclear to many of you and so I decided to write a little story for you to use as an example. Pay attention to the whole story - there might be some points that aren't mentioned in the explanation part, but are still quite useful.

But let's begin with some basic fan fic things...

Nazgûls by auntie Aish

Beta'd: Atalante_star (thanks ^___^ )

Yes. I made few mistakes. This, in my opinion, emphasizes the importance of beta-readers. (I simply didn't realize my errors before she pointed them out.)

Thanks also to Lolly for laughing at this (not in a bad way, I hope) and especially (huuuuuuge ones) to A-kun for helping me out with the grammar part (for example the three t-part in number 5 is written by him).

It's only polite to thank those who have helped you.

Disclaimer: I do not own the Nazgûls or fangirls. That obsessed man is mine. Sort of.

It's of course known that you didn't invent "Lord of the Rings"; you can easily leave this out. If you use something else than LotR too, it might be good to mention that. This is also the place to tell that certain characters belong to you.

~*~

The evening was misty and cool. A dark figure stood still on a grassy slope, seemingly watching the two people who were talking further down. It turned its head when another cloaked shadow-like creature approached. (1)

"Llewellyn..."

"What is it, Reginald?" the first one asked, somewhat irritated by his companion's whiney voice. (2)

"That guy - the one Witchy's talking with - who is he?" Reginald queried, pointing at the people that Llewellyn had been keeping an eye on. (3)

"Don't know... Maybe one of those weird men who are convinced that their dream job is a Nazgûl; they're quite* persistent," Llewellyn answered, "And never call Boss Witchy - at least when he might hear it!" (4)

"Okay, okay." Reginald was quiet for a while, then continued: "But then again, rather them than those fangirls." He shuddered, as did his friend. (5)

"Uh, you're right. Sauron forgive me, but vile creatures like that shouldn't exist." (6)

Both were quiet* for a while, glancing around like a fangirl might just fall from the sky to attack them. Suddenly Llewellyn broke the silence. (7)

"Reginald, you're wearing pink socks again, aren't you?"

If a Nazgûl could blush, that would be exactly what Reginald did. He tried to pull his cloak down so that it would cover his feet, but didn't succeed.

"I can see them. I can see your socks are pink. You know, we're supposed to be wraiths, not some stupid elves! And you know perfectly well that a wraith does not use anything pink; not even if it happens to be his favourite colour!" (

This obviously would have gone on and on for Eru knows how long, if the one called the Boss hadn't come there after finishing his business with the obsessed mortal. He halted and cleared his throat.

"Shut up! Both of you!" he yelled, having already had his share of morons for that day.

"But Reg has..." Llewellyn tried. (9)

"Didn't I say shut up? You can have two guesses, and the first one doesn't count."

"Okay, Witc-" Reginald covered his mouth. (10)

"What did you say?" the Boss' eyes were on poor Reginald, who looked like he wanted to evaporate on that very moment.

"I... I said... Erm... Uh..." he stuttered.

"Yeees?"

"I said: 'okay, Wilfred'! I swear I said so! Please don't make me feed the captured fangirls again! It's someone else's turn! I always feed them!"

~*~

1. Its. Possessive form of "it".

2. Companion's. Another possessive form. Remember to use the apostrophe; without it this would be the plural of "companion".

A question: the question mark belongs inside the quotation marks, the following sentence begins with a small letter unless...

3. ... there is a name or... Look number 5.

4. "Their" is the possessive form of plural 3rd person pronoun. "They're" is the shorter form of "they are".

The most typical way of writing dialogue: a comma within the quotation marks, following sentence beginning with small letter.

5. The sentence that follows the speech act but doesn't actually relate to it always begins with a capital letter. The speech act is ended with a period (or three), a question mark or an exclamation mark.

Them = The objective form of plural third person pronoun.

Than = Word used to indicate comparison.

Then = Used to indicate a shift in time frame. "First I did this, then I did that."

6. You're. Shortened version of "you are".

7. Were. The past tense plural form of "be".

8. Your. Possessive form of "you".

We're = we are.

9. If there are three periods, no commas are needed in addition.

10. The sentence within quotations clearly ends before it's supposed to. Hyphen can be used in cases like this.

* It's a common error to mix these up. Be careful.

THIS site contains more (accurate ^__~ ) information about English grammar.

Confused about some words? Not anymore!

[Edit: Fixed the links - at last >____<]

[Edited on 28/9/2004 by Aisheeya]
outlawgirl09
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2004 09:00
Ok. I have a couple questions about fanfiction on this site.

1. Can I post my story here that is already posted on fanfiction.net?

2. Can I get a beta for that story here even if I can't post it here? Is that not alowed, or a matter of preference of the beta person. (I hope that made sense)

Ok, that is all for right now. I hope I posted this on the right thread.
Aisheeya
Send Message
on: November 08, 2004 10:44
And here are the answers:

1. Yes. If it's your story, it doesn't matter if it has been published before. Many people send their stories to several archives.

2. We only give people the opportunity to tell they can do beta-reading or need someone to do that. Everything else depends on you guys.

^__^
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2004 09:34
I would just like to add something on the all-important puncuation.

This thing ; is very important, but many people forget it even exists. (I am guilty of this)

, indicates a short pause, as in a list.

I have three apples, five oranges, and two bananas

; indicates a long pause, as in a very long sentence in which a pause for affect is needed.

Awestruck would be an understament; completely mind-blown would be more fitting.

I would also like to say something about using bold, italic, and underline.

Bold can be used for shouting or something extremely loud or noticable.

Italic is better fit for sarcasm or stressed words in dialogue.

Underlined words also work better in dialogue, when mentioning something extremely ________ (annoying, large, noisy, etc.) But it can also fit in descriptions of an object or person not in dialogue, but used in the same way.

LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 03:34
; indicates a long pause, as in a very long sentence in which a pause for affect is needed.

Awestruck would be an understament; completely mind-blown would be more fitting.
Just a little clarification and note on use of the semicolon: It's used to break up a sentence that would otherwise be a run-on.

(Incorrect!) example: The person, a fanfiction author, used a keyboard, it felt a little sticky. This sentence is a run-on because it has two sections that could stand on their own as complete sentences with a subject and a verb: "The person used" and "it felt". They are only joined by a comma, so the sentence is incorrect. You can use a period to break it up into two sentences or a semicolon. Don't capitalize the first letter after a semicolon.

Correct examples: The person, a fanfiction author, used a keyboard; it felt a little sticky.

The person, a fanfiction author, used a keyboard. It felt a little sticky.

Or you can just use the site Aisheeya pointed out. *sneaks away* Sorry, I'm a grammar freak.
The_Last_Mariner_04
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2005 08:40
Sneaking in to give another little tip:

Pristine characters are quite boring. It is a thing/person's flaws and eccentricies that make him/her/it unique and intriguing. Though this relates back to Mary Sues, I have noticed many Sir Galahads questing about as well. (Originally a knight named Sir Perceval found the Grail; the delight and wonder of the bumbling warrior's surprise discovery was later ruined, in my opinion, by the switch to Galahad finding the vessel because of his perfection.)

All right, Arthurian legend rant over. Apologies all around.

Remember to endow your characters with human qualities. Audiences can't often relate to a flawless hero.
JULES
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2005 11:28
Hello,

This is my first time doing any chatting in any room of any description.

I have been writing LOTR fanfiction for a little while - and enjoy it immensely. I write 2 other fandoms as well.

I thought it might be nice to say hello to others with common interests -so I chose the subjects that fit closest together - that I enjoy LOTR and I write fanfiction.

JULES

The_Last_Mariner_04
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2005 06:31
JULES: One of my first times chatting as well; don't worry about it! I enjoy writing fiction myself - good luck with your work!
Lómë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2005 12:57
I have a question about the ratings: what do they mean? We don't have that where I live, so I have no idea how things are classed into different ratings.
Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2005 09:33
Hey, I dunno if this is the right place to ask this, but I would like to write fanfiction, but I can't seem to get into it. I do enjoy writing, but for some reason the art of fanfiction is a genre of writing that I can't seem to work with.

Does anybody have any tips on how to develop an intersting story while staying within the confines of Tolkien's world? So many of you guys are really good at it.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2005 02:01
If you're a writer, it might help if you carry your usual style of writing into fanfiction. If you're a journalist, then it would come naturally to you to do a lot of research & then present your story in a factual but interesting way. If you're an advertising copywriter, like me, then humour might come naturally to you, if that's your style of writing. If you're a writer of fiction, then you don't need to get into fan fiction at all, because you're already doing something better!
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 11:56
You know, that makes sense. Personally, I do write fiction. My only attempt at fanfiction was before I really got into my own work. I still might give it a shot somtime though. Thanks a lot!
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 03:07
That's great! May we read any of it? Is it published on the web or in print?
Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 05:42
No, none of my work is published anywhere on the web or otherwise, but i'm hoping to get somthing on the web in the next month or so. I can pm anyone who is interested when it's ready to let you guys know what's going on, but any one who's interested needs to let me know.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2005 03:32
Whoa, PV,

"If you're a writer don't get into fan fiction at all because you're already doing something better..."

HHHMMMMM I think I take exception to that comment. Many outstanding fiction writers write what would be labeled fan fiction even though they also create their own work.

For example, many of the Star Trek authors are also published science fiction writers with a body of their own work. If an author truly loves a world created by another, it not not make him any less of a writer to add to that world. I would hazard to guess some of the best examples of LOTR fan fiction are penned by published writers, perhaps a few of them recognizable names.

Let's not discourage anyone.
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
elenlhach
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 12:12
Hi all,

Speaking (a fair while ago) of environment, don't just think of sights and sounds. Scents and senses (you can hate me) are elements that can really give your story life, especially in a place like Middle Earth.
Let cloth rasp agianst bark and the honeyed scent of mead prevail!

-elenlhach
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 10:27
Very well put, elenlhach!
elenlhach
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 12:24
g'day,
if you need help, you can also go to the clubs section of this site, where there are lots of people to help.
alternatively, find "Everything I know About Writing" by John Marsden (aussie author)- a book I find really helpful.

Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 10:32
Hi all,

Speaking (a fair while ago) of environment, don't just think of sights and sounds. Scents and senses (you can hate me) are elements that can really give your story life, especially in a place like Middle Earth.
Let cloth rasp agianst bark and the honeyed scent of mead prevail!

-elenlhach

AMEN!!
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 25, 2006 07:41
I have a point to make which should help when developing characters.

You may wish to create a profile first before diving into the writing of the story. To help with this you could either use the RPG character profile template, perhaps adding your own sections, or use this method:

The "W" Questions

Who?- is this person
What?- are they? Elf? Human? Dwarf? Also; lord? Beggar? etc.
When?- were they born and how long have they been around for?
Why?- are they doing what they are doing?
Where?- are they?

It helps personally for me, to think about this, when creating characters. I'm not saying this is the way to do it, just that it helps some people to use that method, but some despise it. ^.^

Also, I think it was mentioned earlier about the senses. I think they are very important in writing. Though I know I am guilty of neglecting a couple of the senses... -hides-

Don't just think about what your character can see or what they can hear; think about smell and taste also.

In some cases, some of the senses aren't necessarily relevant, but it is useful to think of them initially when you start with your character in a place in Middle Earth.

Sight- what is the setting like and what can the character see?
Sound- what can be heard? Is it silent? Noisy?
Smell- is there a noticeable smell on the air?
Touch- is there anything the character is holding? How does it feel? Rough? Smooth?
Taste- if any? Sometimes you could describe something as being tangible and that is, I suppose, taste.

Well those are the only points I can think of right now. They work for me when I write so I just thought I would share them with you. Perhaps there is a method that you use that is similar to mine? =D

Namarie,
~Arwen
Zypher_Kiritha
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2006 03:18
I know this was kind of covered, but I have a character who almost qualifies as a Mary Sue, but he is also a real person. There are many times I have wished to bash his head into a wall. He is a real person to me, and a natural jerk and yet a sweet person. Anyone willing to tell me if i should try to write this story and submit it?

By the way, those of you who are not native speakers do really well, a lot better than non-writer Americans. Triple check spelling and capitalization, and you all would easily pass as native, intelligent speakers.
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: December 14, 2006 12:44
Since I've never yet had to turn away a fanfiction for being too Mary Sue, I would go for it - I'm sure it's not that bad!
Zypher_Kiritha
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2006 04:07
thanks for the encouragement! Now all I have to do is come up with an idea. Look out Middle Earth!:evil:
KenAlpern
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2007 12:14
Hello:

I sent this e-mail, as directed on the website, to the appropriate individual but I immediately received a "bounceback" notifying me that the e-mail address was invalid. Pity. Anyway, I'm sending this to the greater group:

I am a resident of Southern California who has an interest in mythology, including the sort of mythology that affects our current mode of thinking (conscious or subconscious). I've immersed myself in Tolkien as of late, and hold him in high regard as one of the leading figures in 20th century literature and culture (perhaps in ways that even he would have never imagined he would have become).

I am one of those strange individuals who always had an interest in history and literature, but with a focus towards their impact on thought...but also with an adjacent focus of wanting to shed light on the vague, and to offer an answer for those questions that either were intentionally or unintentionally left unanswered. I am working on a book of sorts, probably much, much more in line with the literary style of The Silmarillion than that of The Lord of The Rings (I don't believe anyone has the ability to do the latter, with the exception of the late J.R.R. Tolkien himself).

I've addressed the tales in my "book", which is in so many ways a work in progress, The Unforgotten Tales of Middle Earth, to address issues that include the following subjects:

1) What became of the Avari in eastern Middle-Earth, and did they not have future interactions with the Valar, the Eldar or even the descendants of the Edain (Númenor or related civilizations)

2) What exactly were the mechanisms in which Beleriand fell beneath the waves, and to whom and how did Morgoth fall? Did the House of Fëanor have other grandchildren (other than Celebrimbor) to create amazing new things (perhaps both constructive and destructive) in nature, and did the House merely stand aside as the Host of the Valar took on Morgoth?

3) What were the origins of the Nine wizards and kings of Men who became the Nazgûl?

4) Just as there was a separate land-mass of the far West (Valinor), was there not originally a land-mass of the far East (The Burnt Land of the Sun), and another land-mass (The Dark Lands) to the far southeast in the original writings/thoughts of Tolkien?

5) What exactly happened to Alatar and Pallando in the far East, and where did they either succeed and/or fail, and what was their relationship to Saruman/Curunir? Why did Gandalf have no interest in going East?

6) What happened to Sauron after the destruction of his Ring, and what events might have shaped the newly united Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor during and after the reign of Elessar?

I would like to submit stories/chapters as they become whole, with the understanding that they are drafts and meant to provide "food for thought" to readers of Tolkien's works, and to pay homage to his ideas rather than "improve" upon them. Clearly, Tolkien wanted to leave certain things vague (or perhaps he just never got around to them), and I would want my additions to be helpful, and not hurtful, to the memory of the great thinker and writer that was J.R.R. Tolkien.

Your thoughts?

Ken Alpern
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2008 10:30
You guys made some excellent points. I wish this thread had existed when I began writing my fan fiction. Fortunately, I plan to re-write it and I'll definitely use your tips.

[Edited on 28/4/2008 by Celebrianna]
Avaloyuru
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all!

It seems like it's been awhile since the last post in here, regardless I would like to offer a suggestion regarding the point on spelling and punctuation. I think the most effective tool I have used for this is Grammarly. It required a monthly subscription for the level I needed for my academic writing, not so much for the type of creative writing involved with fanfiction. It can be downloaded from Grammarly.com for those who are interested.

However, I should also point out that it will more than likely not recognize unusual words or even some surnames. This may be a problem when it comes to the terminology used in Tolkiens works. Regardless, it will still be a big help as far as punctuation.

Happy writing!
Avaloyuru
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email