Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Fabric for Middle-earth Costumes
on: May 27, 2004 05:15
I'm an experienced "seamstress" interested in sewing some Middle-earth style costumes. I'm having a very difficult time finding inexpensive fabric that looks authentic. Anyone have any good on-line fabric source ideas? (I already know about fabric.com)

I'm particulary looking for spruce green damask, for my Andreth dress. It has to be that color and type of fabric, you see, I wore it in a dream...and I now I simply have to make it. I guess it doesn't have to be damask, I just want it to have a pattern on it, and to look a little rustic. Rohan style, if you know what I mean.

I'm so glad we have this forum now, I love sewing and such.

[Edited on 28/5/2004 by Andreth_Laiqualasse]

[Edited on 20/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
tarkena
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Fabric for Middle-earth Costumes
on: May 28, 2004 12:54
Rohan style? Well, I might be able to help you. Check out this website http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/ and it will help majorly, not only for the costumes, but for any banners or anything like that you wanted to make. I hope this helps you!
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 07:07
Thank you tarkena. I've been to that site briefly, but I hadn't seen the fabric sources section, that helps a lot.

By Rohan style, I mean more earthy and natural, like wool and cotton, as opposed to the silk and satin of the Elves.
tarkena
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 08:13
Its ok. Yes, i agree with the more cotton approach though. Silk is very elvy.
Lathronethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 03:50
try www.denverfabrics.com

they might have what you need, they have a LOT of great stuff.
Faerfaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 01:00
Here's another spot I've used for linens and wools and such for 18th c. historical repros..

http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=fabricselector&menu=f&sstr=1&content=1&type=&color=&weight=

I could be wrong, but I tend to think a medium to rough weave linen is just perfect for Rohannish clothing, such as the inner gown of Eowyn's. Then put a wool overgown over... rustic yet classy!

For a cheaper solution than than, hunt around online for "osnaburg" -- it's a homespun-lookin' cotton. (apologies if you know this already).

But I don't see any damask like you're talking about though.
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 12:50
Thanks for all the help. Faerfaen, some of the fabric on that site just might work. I hadn't seen that sight before.

I have a feeling the fabric I'm thinking of doesn't exist outside of Middle-earth. I suppose it really was just the "stuff of dreams".

I guess I shouldn't have said that I'm an experienced seamtress, since I am only seventeen years old and not a professional. But I have done a significant amount of sewing for my age (many of my clothes), and am familiar with sewing terminology and such.
Nuranar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 04:42
Andreth, I've found www.trimfabric.com to be fascinating. It's sorted by type - i.e. wools, "luxury" (mostly silks), etc. They've just added a search function, although I haven't had a chance to use it. The site is really strong in wools, though - 20-odd pages of all different types, weights, weaves, and colors. I enjoy it a lot!

I'm a little confused by what you mean by "damask," since you're also trying to stay away from obvious silks. A damask is a particular weave, right? Oh, and if you study the Alley Cat Scratch site (I love it!), you'll see that Eowyn does wear silk. For example, the cream-colored "chemise" under the brown shieldmaiden corset and skirt is a silk with a woven pattern. And the blue under the brown overdress? That's actually silk, too. Nowadays we tend to associate silk with being very fine, like a silk blouse, but it can be made in a wide variety of weights and weaves. It's very strong, too - that's what World War II parachutes were made out of. Truly fascinating.

Hope this helps! I'm really curious now - what is your dress going to look like over all?
Legolas~Archerelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2004 06:25
Here's a link, but it's more elvish cloth, but it might help though:
http://fabric.elventhreads.com/
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 08, 2004 05:42
Alright, I might as well clarify what exactly I want to make.

My character is Andreth (invented by me, and she is me as well, only in Middle-earth), a peasant girl of Rohan, who is driven from her village when Orcs of Saruman attack, killing most of her family. She ends up living for a while in Fangorn forest, and she learns about the trees and history, etc...

I had a dream about her, and I was her wearing a dress made of cotton damask, dark spruce green, with large sleeves and a front lacing. In fact, it's view B on the Simplicity Elf type costume dress pattern, only with larger sleeves. (I don't recall the number at the moment) I finally did find a web-site with the perfect fabric, though it's very expensive.

I am also interested in making, someday when I have time, more of her dresses. Later on she becomes Eowyn's handmaid, so she can wear silk then. But I don't think peasant girls wear silk, at least not in Rohan.

Oh yes, and I love trimfabric.com too. I've ordered fabric from there before, for other sewing projects. They do have great stuff.
Nuranar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 03:10
Sounds like a really neat project! Actually reminds me a little of something I'm planning - well, the color's the same. Spruce green is exactly what I want, and yes, it's hard to find that color, so here's what I've been already thinking:

Since I'm planning on running around in the woods in this ensemble, dealing with trees and creeks and briars, I wanted something pretty sturdy. And since I'm from Texas and it's hOT here, I wanted it to be fairly cool. I'm dedicated to natural fibers anyway, so I've decided on osnaburg. It's a utility fabric, found with the muslins; it's all cotton, a coarser, looser weave without being rough. It's heavier than muslin, but shouldn't be much warmer. Osnaburg is usually sold just natural, though; no dye at all. No problem! I'm thinking - I'll just dye it myself.

Very long explanation! Sorry about that. But here's my point: Go ahead and look for your damask (or try searching for matelasse - it's what Eowyn's brown coat is made of: it's textured as well) but just get it in white or natural. Then you can dye it howevery you wish.

If you're interested, Alley Cat Scratch has a good bit of information on dyeing from people who've had a lot of experience. If I remember right, RIT dye's website even has a color recipe for spruce. It takes royal blue and dark (or forest) green, I think.

Oh, and on another note, while I'm thinking of it: The other day I stumbled across a really great photo, the best one I've seen of Rohan civilians. You can find it on this page: http://www.moviepublicity.com/nltheatrical/lotr2_photos3.html It's huge, so you can zoom way in. Look especially on the right; there's three or four women there and you get an exellent, full-length look at them. You'll have to download the pic first, though, and be warned: It's just over 6 MB! But the resolution is superb.
Lathronethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 09:08
hate to stray off topic, but i just thought i'd let all those elven costumers out there know i have found the most inexpensive source for silk velvet yet... at $10.99 a yard [my exclamation mark key is broken, otherwise trust me, there would be plenty]

its at http://stores.ebay.com/syfabrics , but don't be alarmed, it's not just for auction, but ready to buy as well. the downside is you have to sign up for an account, but it's worth it, i've already placed my order.

just search for "silk velvet" in the search thinger, and they have lots of colors.
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2005 11:53
Try looking at thrift stores, especially the table cloths. I have found cotton damask tablecloths in large sizes and good condition for only a few dollars. You can dye them the color you need.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2005 07:12
Think I've seen a Burda pattern on sewingpatterns.com which is very like the dress you described - "a dress made of cotton damask, with large sleeves and a front lacing." It was one of their costume/fancy dress patterns. I guess the pattern would include recommendations on what fabric to use.

[Edited on 13/1/2005 by pv]
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 10:37
Just in case anyone is interested in cheap "Elven" type fabrics for costumes and such, I found a good site:

www.sewsweetfabrics.com

They have lots of cheap chiffon and satin type fabric, as well as some very inexpensive velvets.

Also, this site,

http://www.fabricdirect.com

has lots of inexpensive but quality options that would be wonderful for costuming.

About my costume, I've found some things that would work, with some dying, but at pretty steep prices, so I'm going to have to wait a while. Thanks for all the help from everyone!
ShieldMaiden777
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 10:48
http://supremefabrics.com/
Not all of their stuff is cheap, but they do have a good selection of some nice formal wear fabric.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 14, 2005 02:44
Okay, this is slightly off topic, but I'm also about to make a rohirric costume for my RP character (with a lot of aid from my mum). I've got the design ready here, and I've worked out how much material I need, etc, I'm just not sure what material to use. Can anyone suggest something?

I need the shirt and trousers to be quite light, and I don't want the surcoat to be too heavy. I'm really fussy about the materials I where because I have hypersensitive skin so I'm going to be going into town to buy instead of ordering off the internet, but ideas would be nice. Thankee!
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 07:28
Dear Purplefluffychainsaw; I would use a heavy cotton muslin for the tunic and trowsers. I would hand dye the cotton after washing the cloth and before cuting the peices.
I would use an undyed or a brown denim in cotton for the surcoat with a lining in muslin[fake suede is to hot and hard to sew], and I would overdye the denim to get the right shade of color for the surcoat [same goes for the surcoat lining].

Do you have patterns for the clothes yet?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
My wife has really gotten into making costumes. With her ATS dance and Medieval and Fantasy costumes for the Faires and such, she has been busy! Heavy cotton muslin works best for the peasant dresses that would likely be the norm of the common folk of Rohan. She made a couple of Eowyn's outfits (the green one and the brown traveling one), but ended up giving them away.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Do you happen to have any photos of them to post here, Arveleg? They may serve as inspiration for some of our members asking for advice with costume making.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email