Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2324252627
Author Topic:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
I've never seen anything that requires an IP address. I've asked her to screen cap whatever she sees and I'll post it here.

While it's been going on for a couple of months, it hasn't asked me every time I post. Now it does. I hope that whatever it's trying to do is working.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Trolling for ol' spammy ...
EDIT 1: nope, a simple post didn't do it. Now this simple edit?
[Edited on 06/05/2019 by Gandolorin]
EDIT 2: also not. Edit with a smiley from the ones provided above?
EDIT 3: no again. One of Evil~Shieldmaiden's smileys from her imgur account? Image
EDIT 4: Hello spammy! Does it do it for a second edit like that? Image
EDIT 5: er, no ... whatever. Image

Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I've only ever gotten the spam notice when trying to insert an image from outside CoE using the img tag in the quick reply box options. I've never gotten it from a regular post.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Mumble. We stil do not know what the spammy is or is meant to do. Grumble

[Edited on 06/07/2019 by Gandolorin]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hi peeps.
I've calmed down the spam guard dog. Let me know in a few days if you are still having the blocking thingy posting in the forum.

I've also fixed your title, Dolwen. If anyone else has a mashed up name or title let me know.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
OK, so spammy belongs to the "works as designed" set. Good to know.
Tarc, the edit profile function is still missing the avatar and siggy fields. I'm guessing this would involve a heftier repair job? Mind you, being still able to post here is on an entirely higher order of magnitude in importance to me to such cosmetic issues ...
tarcolan
Send Message
You should be able to upload your avatar file to the site now. Ask and it will be done. (I forgot to do it)

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Just checked the Gallery here, and despite there being 118 pictures of Gandalf to be found, mine is not among them. I did download that picture to my notebook's hard drive, though, and probably fiddled around with resizing it, as I have four variants of the picture: ca_gandalf027.jpg, size 34 KB, ca_gandalf027 (2).jpg, size 71 (!) KB, ca_gandalf027-125x125.jpg and ca_gandalf027-150x150.jpg, both sized 8 KB. Since I do not have a place to save them like imgur or such, what could I do?
Dolwen
Send Message
Gando I can host your image for you perhaps you can e-mail it to me I will send you a pm. tarc, I didn't see that the signature field had returned with the avatar uploading ability. That went missing at the same time.
Lady_of_Darkness
Council Member
Send Message
I just resaved the Eowyn avvy I had in before it went all screwy (well, technically, it changed back to this one before it disappeared, since I had an animated one in I found on Fan Pop, but since I found the Eowyn one in the Gallery, I thought that I would put this one in instead). Looks a lot better than that keyhole! I'm amazed that although my avvy disappeared, my sig didn't, even though that feature hasn't returned yet.
In the darkness you could hear the crying of women, the wailing of infants, and the shouting of men. Some prayed for help. Others wished for death. But still more imagined that there were no Gods left, and that the universe was plunged into eternal darkness. - Pliny the Younger, A.D. 79.
tarcolan
Send Message
Ahem. Please read carefully. You can now upload your avatar to this site. You can no longer link to a hosted image. The image size should be a maximum of 100px square. The file size is irrelevant. Click the button marked 'Upload Avatar' in your profile, then drag and drop the file from your computer, or click the 'Select File' button.

If I remember correctly Gando, your avi was on a hosted site, so it won't exist in the gallery.

Dolwen, Lady_of_Darkness, I haven't got a sig field in my profile page, in fact I can't see it as one of the options in the plugin. Who else has the sig field?

[Edited on 06/10/2019 by tarcolan]
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
The spam watchdog hasn't bothered me again - good job, Tarco, thanks!

As for the sigs, until the major issue that caused the accented letter problems and the like, sig uploading/editing worked just fine. I know that because I used to edit mine now and then. It's gone now.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
tarcolan
Send Message
Sig and Avatar link fields are proving awkward. Riv's working on it.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
That's great, I hope she can eventually implement it back :]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, look, the old grump is back! Image
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Wasn't able to connect to the site the entire weekend. Servicing / updates on the server the site is on? Rivka doing further repairs? Anyway, good to see the site back online.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Interesting... I didn't have any problems accessing it. And, I'm no longer having to do the math to post something from outside of the site.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
NenyaGold said:Interesting... I didn't have any problems accessing it. And, I'm no longer having to do the math to post something from outside of the site.

Many if not most error messages in computerese leave me mystified rather than enlightened. I’ve had this one sporadically, and my guess is that things were OK on this side of the Atlantic, but there was a glitch somewhere heading west – so not necessarily the CoE server itself.

As to not being bothered by the “spam guard dog”, there’s this 06 June 2019 post by tarcolan:
tarcolan said:Hi peeps.
I've calmed down the spam guard dog. Let me know in a few days if you are still having the blocking thingy posting in the forum ...
Dolwen
Send Message
Gando, I couldn't get on during part of that time period either, I believe it was Sunday morning for the same reason as you, server error page. It cleared up later in the day but it definitely wasn't just you having the problem.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Is there any chance of the links in the languages section being fixed? A lot of stuff in the Translations section is no longer available like the Sindarin and Quenya Compositions and Useful Elvish Phrases.
tarcolan
Send Message
Thanks for the heads up star, I'll work on it and update here.

The main Languages menu links are working now. I'll go through each section next.
There's a dowloadable Sindarin dictionary in pdf format in the Resources page.

[Edited on 07/20/2019 by tarcolan]
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
How can I change my signature? Forum options are no longer available.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Round about April 2019, the site seems to have experienced a serious hack (again). Rivka managed to get several things repaired, including the field for the avatar in the profile (mine had gone AWOL for a while), but not the field for the signature (mine may have not been affected by the hack in the sense that I have only a picture linked there, and no text). But some ASCII (or whatever) messups remain, as the Realm of Vairë (and sub-realms) still shows up as Vairë. No idea what special letter is behind what has been mutatated to ó in your siggy.

[Edited on 10/11/2019 by Gandolorin]
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
It is a long ó.
The workbook has also been affected and I'm (slowly) replacing all those mess ups.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I believe we also have a new server due to the ongoing issues with WordPress.
tarcolan
Send Message
Unfortunately I can't find a way to edit your sigs to correct encoding errors.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
My car is pretty much as old as CoE, as far as I can tell (I first registered it end of November 2001 – so slightly older). Granted, it is probably in better shape relatively then CoE is (yearly maintenance certainly, but also those site hacks are the equivalent of "fender-benders" at least, none of which I've had - and low mileage for age). But as long as things function (with all the dents and scratches and rusty places) CoE is still serving its core purpose.
Dolwen
Send Message
The chatrooms are no longer working. We get this error message when clicking on them:
itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Blog"

The site is experiencing technical difficulties.

Hoping we can get them fixed as many of us still use them.
tarcolan
Send Message
When did this happen Dolwen? There was a server move a fortnight ago which messed up the forums for a day. Could be related.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
We weren't able to have our monthly Realm chat on the November 9th, tarc.

Also, is there any way the banner/quote field can be added to the Profile page? As you know, I'm somewhat notorious for changing my signature banners, and Christmas is a-coming.

Thanks, tarc.
Dolwen
Send Message
I'm not sure when it happened but as ES said, we tried to use it for our monthly chat on the 9th and that was when I discovered it.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Is this chatroom function an integral part of the site? Or is it an add-on, a kind of black-box programmed by others?
tarcolan
Send Message
There are still a few things to sort out with the site and Rivka will be tackling them when she has time.

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Thanks, tarc!
ViggoBliggo
Council Member
Send Message
I'm wondering if anybody's managed to access their councilofelrond.net e-mail. I had a password reset link sent to it but looks like Everyone.net has stopped providing free access to this old inbox and I'm stuffed now. Has anyone had similar issues? Cheers
<< First2324252627
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email