Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Returning Home: The Journey (Very Scripted) [PLEASE KEEP~COMPLETED THREAD]
on: December 08, 2004 05:42
Siladan Prepares for the Journey

It was already mid-morning when Siladan awoke. It was departure day and she was not yet ready to leave. She knew her companions would soon be passing out the gates of the city. She had asked Janell to tell them she would meet them in a day or two. But she now planned to catch up with them this day. Jahan had made preparations simple for her.

She had had a long difficult day previous to this morning. After a late dinner with Janell she had returned to her room. Before she had settled in, there had come a knock at the door. It had been Jahan. He had come to bring her belongs she had asked Finafin to have sent. Along with him were several of the house boys carrying bundles of supplies for her trip. Once they had deposited their loads, the boys left. Jahan had stayed for a time.

He had found courage to reveal his feelings for her. He had asked her to think about accepting him as a suitor and he left with her promise to return to Minas Tirith once her mission was completed.

Lilliath brought Siladan breakfast which she ate while she organized the things Jahan had brought and packed them in her saddle bags for the journey. The one item that had not been in the supplies was tea. Siladan could not travel without her hot drink. She did not carry ale with her as she preferred to keep her wits about her during her travels. She would have to make a top at the tea vendor on her way out of the city.

Once her supplies were packed she began looking for her sword. She had noticed a sheath she did not recognize then she realized it was the hilt of her own sword showing from the sheath. On investigation she found that the sword had been thoroughly cleaned. Nick’s, scraps, scratches and notches had been repaired and the sword although many centuries old, looked as if it had just come, newly made from the smith’s. Siladan, also realized that Jahan had taken care of all these things for her. ‘Was it possible the man was truly in love?’ she thought, then she shook off the thought.

She pulled the baldric around her waist and adjusted her swords in place as well as the knife she carried at her back. She picked up her deerskin pouch and placed the package inside. He had given her with his request she not open it till reaching Edoras, into the bag. She reached for her clock realizing it was Jahan’s but her own map was in the inside pocket, he must have meant for her to have it instead of the worn, ragged one she now realized was in his possession.

She shouldered one set of her saddle bags and walked to the door for her first trip down the stairs. She typically would have carried all her ‘gear’ at one time, but she did not intend to stress any of her healing wounds. She made three trips to and from the room. On the last trip she lingered a bit, hating to leave the comfortable place till at last she walked to the door, glanced over her shoulder before stepping into the hallway and pulling the door closed behind her.

Once Maereth was saddled and Siladan’s supplies strapped down, she lead the horse to the front of the inn, tied the reins to a hitching ring and went into the tavern. There she paid her bill and fare welled the family and staff.

She felt a tear trickle down her right cheek. Reaching to wipe it away she was surprised by this emotion coming from within her. She wondered “Is the chill of my heart going to thaw completely?” The taking the reins from the ring she walked alongside Maereth up one level to the shop where she always procured her favorite tea. The shop owner had long kept the secret of this particular brew.

“Ah, Siladan,” he said as he rushed to the doorway to great her. “We heard you were in the city and have waited for you to come to us. We have been very busy with all the new traveler’s to our city, but worry not, for I have put back an ample supply of tea and leaf for you. Come, come, and sit a bit with me. I have something new for you to taste.” He led her over to a small table near the back of the shop.

“Melfor, I may not stay long. My company has already departed the city and I must catch up to them.” She said as he gently lowered her into the chair. He had put his big hands on her shoulders and gently pushed her downward till she was sitting.

“Now, Now, Dear. I must have taste this new brew,” he said as he fussed with cup and pot. He poured a rich black liquid into a teas cup then sat it in front of her. “Sip it slowly, it is very hot,” he said as he sat down across from her with a cup of his own. “A small contingent of men came to the city in the late spring to see the king and they had this drink with them, which they shared with the King and a few others in the court. It comes from a bean that grows in the mountains of southern Ithilien. When it is ripe and picked they roast it to a dark brown. See.” He held out his hand and dropped several beans into hers. She looked at them as she began to take a sip of the drink.

At first taste she grimaced a little. “Um, It bites,” and she continued to sip a little at a time as old Melfor talked on about how this drink came to be. She listened politely for awhile, but when her cup was empty she stood up.

“This is all so very interesting, Melfor, but I must have my tea and leaf and be getting to the road.” He was a little disheartened by her need to make haste. “I do apologize for being in such a rush, but I will return as swiftly as my journey allows, then I will sit and drink. . . What is this drink called?” She asked.

“They call it Cava. Do you like it? I shall send a bag with you. No charge. If you like it, you will come back for more. Let me explain how to prepare it.” Off he went to the back room and returned with an arm load of items which he placed on the counter. She sat back down in the chair and held out her cup for a refill. She could see she was not going anywhere in a hurry.
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Returning Home: The Journey (Very Scripted) [PLEASE KEEP~COMPLETED THREAD]
on: December 16, 2004 06:27

Thanks to everyone for a great RP. Good job Guys!

Good Companions

It felt so good to be out in the open air of the Pelennor. The bright midday sun shone clearly down upon the company and warmed them. There was a warm breeze coming from the south that ruffled the young Hobbit's curly blonde hair. Elfstan felt a great swelling of happiness welling up within his breast. He was going home!

Aster trotted quickly, bouncing Elfstan up and down a bit. Even his sturdy grey pony seemed anxious to be on his way. Elfstan looked behind at the others following close. “Which way now?” he queried as he craned his head back looking at the others. Elfstan was a good healer, but directions were not his strong point. He didn’t want to be the one responsible for getting their little company lost on their first day out.

Gabby and Tanzy followed along in the company. When Elfstan hollered out which way, they looked at each other as if to say, "Do you know?" and laughed when they realized that neither of them knew the way either. Gabby thought that perhaps this might be the reason Hobbits didn't venture far from the Shire. They couldn't find their way home if they did. He looked around at the others hoping someone knew the way.

Janell looked out to the Pelennor. The grasslands looked so different. Since the battle took place there, the field had renewed itself, becoming lush and green. The grass returned and you could see new life returning. Animals were roaming over the lands and birds were flying overhead. It brought back memories of days in Mirkwood. It was a beautiful sight to behold and to be on the road. Fresh air and wide open spaces were just what she needed. She was getting cooped up in the city and needed to spread her wings.

When she heard Elfstan shout out about directions, Janell's ears perked up. "We head north till we round the mountain, then go west along that road, which leads to Edoras." Janell had been wondering about Siladan. She was hoping that Siladan would not be long in catching up, hoping her arrival would be before nightfall.

Something told her that someone was missing. She didn't see anything ahead then turned in her saddle and looked behind. It was a relief to see Káin bringing up the rear of the present company. Before she turned around, Janell caught a glimpse of the White Tower of Ecthelion. It glimmered like a spike of pearl and silver. It was a sight that she had never seen before. When she fought on the Fields of Pelennor, the tower was dull. It had lost its lustre when Sauron was in power in Mordor.

Hanging back, Káin settled Murnin into a steady canter behind his friends. He was glad to be free from the City. He drew a deep breath and inhaled the smell of the grass, the surrounding hills. He gazed into the distance and his eyes settled on the mountains. Home!! Well, if not *those* exact mountains, at least it reminded him of *his* mountains.

He leaned forward and patted Murnin’s neck. He would be happier once Belle had joined them. He had a feeling that Siladan would be with them later, but the Istar had gone with few words and no real indication of when she would be amongst them again. He heard Janell giving directions and was happy that someone seemed to know where they were heading. Dwarves didn’t use maps, just their instincts and their nose. He hummed a Dwarvish ditty to himself as he closed in on the group.

~~~
Belle went about her way quietly. She wanted to catch up with the others, but considered that they would not get more than two days’ journey ahead of her at best. There had been precious little in the Archives to satisfy her, but given the nature of the subject matter, she was not surprised. Nogornan’s records had provided far more material. The Head of the Lunatic Ward had meticulously recorded the ranting and raving of the war-damaged minds that had come under his care, and the Black Speech figured prominently in them. He looked askance at Belle’s intense perusal of his records, and shook his head. He would have reported her strange request to Arnaud, but Arnaud had not only given her leave to see them, but was studying them himself! Not that it seemed to do anything beneficial; both Istari were turning paler by the minute.

“Of what use is this horror to you?” Nogornan finally asked. Belle bowed her head and put her hands over her eyes. The Warden answered. “Why did you record these things, Nogornan?” The head of the Lunatic Ward looked nonplussed. “To help the patients, of course! To gain an understanding of their condition, and so perhaps at some future point, help them recover.” Belle looked at her fellow Healer and sighed. “We study them for the same reason.”

Nogornon shook his head. Had he known of the Istar’s intent, every hair on his head would have stood straight up. “Then may I suggest you go talk to the assassins we still have confined here? They might add to your, uh, vocabulary.” Arnaud nodded, and he and Belle proceeded to the cells. Belle consoled herself with the notion that in a day, perhaps sooner, she and Gintel would be traversing the Pelennor, and soon she would see her friends.

This time, she thought, she’d remember to take her pipe and a goodly supply of pipeweed. She was looking forward to a peaceful smoke with Káin.

~~~
Standing at the window of her room, Siladan saw the members of the company riding up the Pelennor. She yearned to be along side of them. Concern for their safety was her main thought. Even now that the threat from Lostien was eliminated, she knew there were other dangers lurking along the roads of Middle Earth. She turned her attention back to the packing she was doing. The sooner she got these supplies packed and loaded onto Maereth, the sooner she could be at their side protecting them. She was concerned that Belle was remaining in the city. Her thoughts were on the secrets the Istar kept. If she was anything like Gandalf, then there was trouble at hand. What would happen to the Hobbits with only Káin and Janell to protect them?

~~~
As the group of travellers trotted across the Pelennor Gabby couldn't help but recall the last time the group had gone out together on horseback. Then, it had been swiftly and secretively. Now they were at their leisure and in no particular hurry. He looked over to make sure Tanzy was still there. It was reassuring to see his young friend. She was looking up in the sky smiling at Wind Dancer. Then he looked behind to see that Káin had caught up with the group and marvelled that Dwarves were so stout and residual. He felt that they must certainly be related to Hobbits as they were every bit as hardy. Then he had to remind himself that one dwarf was much handier in a fight than two Hobbits. He smiled, it was good to be free.

Káin noticed Gabby looking back at him and waved at the Hobbit. Tanzy was watching Wind Dancer, their feathered guardian. He kicked Murnin forward to catch up with Janell. "Do you think we should slow down a little? I mean the funeral procession isn't that far in front of us. We don't want to be bumping into the back of it." He smiled at the Ranger Elf.

“There's no rush. We have Siladan to wait for. Hey, everyone, shall we slow down to a leisurely walk?" he called. As the base of Mount Mindolluin came closer to them, the last peak of Ered Nimrais in the East, with its tall face covered in white and the deep glens in purple shadow. Káin pointed. "There would be a good place to camp." The Dwarf reined in beside Tanzy. "Good day, little lady! I see you are keeping a weather eye on our feathered friend up there," he said grinning. "Good to have a keen pair of eyes looking out for us."

Tanzy looked over at Káin and smiled at the Dwarf's praise of her favourite friend, Wind Dancer. "You can be sure Wind Dancer will let us know of anything lurking ahead of us," she commented. "My bird isn't afraid of much of anything."

Janell could not take her eyes off the landscape. It was breathtaking. She looked towards the mountains when she saw Amon Din. On top was the beacon that was lit when King Théoden and the Riders of Rohan were called to war.

Janell was trotting along thinking about the open fields and the mountains that she travelled in her lifetime when she heard a horse coming up behind her. She heard the question from Káin and nodded her head. They should slow down or they might get ahead of the company. Janell thought about what Káin had said. "Yes, this would be a great place to stay the night. We should stay here so that Siladan can catch up. She would be able to see our fire when she comes."

Elfstan reined in Aster a bit until he was next to Gabby and Tanzy. He smiled at his two fellow Hobbits. He gazed skyward and his eyes followed Wind Dancer as he dipped and soared above the Pelennor.

“How wonderful it would be to be so free,” he sighed as he looked at the bird. “Of course, we don’t have it so bad either, do we, my friends? We have seen some wonderful things haven’t we, since we have last seen our homes? Had ourselves quite an adventure and made some fast friends. Now we’re on our way home to the Shire and our families.”

Gabby and Tanzy both nodded in agreement to Elfstan's thoughts of home.

He looked back at Káin and Janell following close behind them. “Yo, Guides, just where are we heading today? Or do you want this Hobbit to guide you?” He smiled at the grim look that Káin gave him. Well, maybe he wouldn’t push his luck that far; at least not today! He chuckled softly, enjoying teasing the gruff Dwarf a bit.

Káin looked towards Elfstan as he heard the Hobbit call to him and Janell. He controlled his face and wagged an authoritative finger at his friend, then put his head back and laughed loudly.

Tanzy looked at Elfstan with a questioning gaze until she realized he was teasing the Dwarf. Gabby was downright startled that Elfstan had offered to guide them to a camping site and nearly fell off his pony. Of course, it didn't take much sometimes to make Gabby fall off his pony. He really preferred walking and wondered if the group would get a chance to do any of that.

He was already planning their evening meal and counted himself lucky to have more than one pony to carry goods on. He hoped that he'd find some wild roots and seasonings along the way as well. When he realized the direction of his thoughts, his tummy rumbled. A hobbit and his food are not easily parted.

He looked up at the mountains really noticing their beauty for the first time and was surprised to realize he would miss Minas Tirith and its bustle, but that he was quite ready to be heading home. One look at Tanzy's face told him that she had similar thoughts.

~~
Arnaud rode alongside Belle, lost in his own thoughts. He and Nogornan had insisted on helping her pack. She was adequately clothed and provisioned, and the two extra field packs might come in handy.

Belle was determined to leave Minas Tirith before nightfall, and Arnaud voiced his misgivings. “Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked. Belle patted Gintel on the neck. “Yes. Gintel needs to run.” The Warden snorted in exasperation. “You really don’t need to go, Belle! Elfstan is already Healer enough, and the company is travelling with the funeral procession. They’ll be safe.”

“Of course, they’ll be safe, Arnaud, else I would not have stayed here!” Belle shot back. Then her expression softened. “But they may have need of me. If it turns out not to be the case, I promise to come right back.” Arnaud rolled his eyes, but his heart sank. As they reached the fourth level, Belle saw a familiar sight. Maereth was tethered outside a shop, and inside, Belle could hear a very familiar voice remonstrating with some shopkeeper. The Green Istar turned to the Gold Istar and laughed. “Siladan’s inside,” she said, pointing to the shop. “If for no other reason than she may need a Healer, I need to go.”

“Why can’t you womenfolk stay home where you belong!” the Warden asked irritably. “Siladan can come back to the Houses, and you can stay and look after her there.” Belle had already dismounted and was heading inside. She turned to him and grinned like a rogue. “I think not, Master Warden!” Arnaud followed her, trying to think of something to say. "Siladan, are you ready to go?" Belle addressed the Ranger courteously, and shot an impatient look at the shopkeeper.

The sound of Belle calling out her name brought relief to Siladan. The shopkeeper was keeping her from leaving the shop. Belle's entrance gave her an excuse to cut the conversation short, gather her packages and leave.

"Belle, how good to see you today. Yes, I am just finishing here with Melfar. Let me pay for my purchases and we shall ride out together." Siladan handed Melfar the coins and turned with Belle close at her side and walked out the door, leaving Arnaud looking puzzled after the woman.

The sun had moved well into the western sky as she stepped out of Melfor’s shop with Belle. "I am grateful you have rescued me from his endless tale. I shall enjoy having you along as we ride to meet the others. We may have an opportunity to talk," Siladan said. She had two large leather bags tied up with straps which she hooked to her saddle and lead Maereth down the street.

Belle nodded. There had been precious little time for the two of them to chat. The Istar realized how very little she actually knew about the tall woman at her side, and wondered. .

As she walked slowly along, she took in all the sights, sounds and aroma of the city. She knew it would be at least half a year or more before she would return to this place. In a sombre mood she walked until she felt her leg tiring. Then, with no signs of injury, the Ranger mounted Maereth and started to walk her down the street and together they rode down the streets to the Great gates of Minas Tirith.

Arnaud stared after the Ranger, hardly believing his eyes. “She’s fully healed, from all appearances!” Belle smiled broadly. Aragorn and Elrond had done their work most thoroughly. The Warden mounted his horse, and in a moment they caught up to Siladan. “Hallo!” the Green Istar called. “Wait up!” As the Ranger reined in Maereth, Belle said, “Siladan, you remember Arnaud, the Warden of the Houses of Healing?” The Warden inclined his head to the Ranger. He looked at the two, and was ready to make one more plea to both to remain in his care, but he saw the determined look in their eyes and thought the better of it. Instead he simply said, “May I have the honour of escorting you to the city gates?”

At the gates, Maereth and Gintel whinnied, and pawed the ground impatiently. Belle smiled at Arnaud. “Thank you for your escort, Warden. We must be off!” Siladan urged Maereth forward and out of the gates, but before Belle could do the same to Gintel, Arnaud threw his arms around the Healer and hugged her hard. “Come back safely!” he whispered.

A short distance out from the gates Siladan reined in the horse, turned her around and took one last look at the great city before them. “Well, Maereth, what do you say to a new adventure?” The mare raised her head, gave a loud whinny then nodded her head. Siladan flicked the reins gently on Maereth’s neck and like the wind they were headed towards the opening in the outer wall of the Pelennor Fields.

What lay ahead neither knew, but to be sure they were both ready for the road ahead. With an under her breath chuckle she whispered to the wind, ‘Let’s hunt some Hobbits!”

An astonished Belle could barely nod. Then she, too, was out of the gates and flying across the Pelennor on Gintel. As they rode along, Belle observed Siladan closely, but saw nothing in particular to worry her. Being out and travelling seemed to have revived the Ranger’s spirits considerably, and it cheered the Istar to see her ride with such exuberance. No words were exchanged between the two, nor did they seem necessary. There would be time for conversation later, Belle reflected. As the sun slipped below the horizon and darkness overtook the land, they saw a camp-fire and heard the welcome music of familiar voices. “Hallo! Hallo the camp!” they called.

Káin came rushing out, axe at the ready. “Stay your hand!” cried Siladan. “It’s us! Siladan and Belle!” As the Ranger and the Istar dismounted, they could see Gabby intent over his pans, his face lit up by the fire. Tanzy and Elfstan were getting out plates and eating utensils. Dinner was almost ready!

Soon all were around the camp-fire, with Janell and Káin standing guard, companionably sharing the evening meal. Tanzy and Gabby sat next to Siladan, chatting merrily. The company was together again, and for this all were glad. Belle offered to take the first watch, and as she sat back and lit her pipe, the rest settled down to sleep under a sky full of stars.
bellemaine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 12:31
(OOC: Happy New Year to All, and here’s to another year of adventures!)

Campfire Companions

Some four hours later Elfstan awoke and went to take the watch from Belle. The Istar smiled gratefully at the Hobbit. Giving one last glance around the camp, she wrapped herself in blankets and succumbed to slumber. Dawn would arrive all too soon.

Elfstan hadn’t taken watch before, even on his way to Minas Tirith all those months ago. An age, it seemed like now. He had traveled with such a large and well-protected party, that the services of a young Hobbit weren’t needed. This time he was needed. That made him feel proud, stronger.

The young Hobbit stretched his large furry feet toward the fire, curling his toes in pleasure at the warmth from the flickering flames. His thoughts wandered back to the past few days and what a change had come to his life. A week ago he would have never thought to be here, having gone through what he had. He mused over his thoughts, the hours ticking silently away.

Near the end of his watch, Elfstan rose, stretched, and gazed into the East, watching the sun rise. Behind him, a rather loud buzzing sound came from the general direction of the sleeping Dwarf. He chuckled to himself while turning around to stare at Káin. It amazed him to hear such noises coming from the Dwarf. He then noticed that Belle and Káin were beginning to stir.

Káin shifted his body beneath his blanket and rubbed his nose. He muttered something under his breath. He was dreaming. Comfy beds, his small comfortable house in the Iron Hills. His friends and family.

He turned over and let out a yell as he found a large stone, one he wasn’t looking for. He thumped the stone, hurting his knuckles and sat up. His shoulders sagged as he realized he was not at home.

Looking round the camp, he rubbed his eyes. A thin smile crossed his lips as he saw Elfstan by the fire. “Mornin’ young Master Hobbit,” he said. He yawned, showing a mouthful of teeth and a not particularly pleasant tongue.

Káin threw back his blanket, then began rolling it. He sniffed the air, somewhat disappointed that he could not smell food.

“Are we the only ones awake, Elfstan?” he asked as he walked over to Murnin and fastened a nose bag of provender over the pony’s ears. He lay his bedroll down by his saddle and twisting and stretching, he walked back to the fire and sat down, his knees making a cracking noise as he did.

He shivered in the early morning mist and stretched his hands out towards the fire. “Sleepyheads!” he grinned, nodding his head towards the blanketed mounds around the fire. “I’ll fill the pot with water and get some tea on the go.” That job done, he sat back and began to fill his pipe.

Belle opened one tired eye. Káin’s snoring had been loud, she reflected with amusement as she watched the Dwarf bustling about, but it sounded so dangerous it undoubtedly scared away any predators. With the possible exception of Orcs, she reminded herself ruefully as she sat up. Orcs had tramped through her dreams all night, hundreds of them. The Istar looked over in the Rangers’ direction. Janell was not there -- she might have gone off to scout -- but Siladan seemed to be stirring. Sensing nothing out of the ordinary, Belle arose and tended to Gintel.

Tanzy woke to the stirrings of the Dwarf and Elfstan. She had slept amazingly well because it was such a relief to have the group together and on the road again.

She struggled out of her warm downy covers and strode off to freshen up by the stream. The cool clear water was exhilarating. She smiled at the touch of a warm gentle breeze and the beauty of the sunrise, while Wind Dancer circled overhead. She waved at him affectionately as he called out and dipped toward her in response.

“Tea sounds wonderful, Káin,” said Elfstan. He poked at the fire to revive the flames a bit and make the water boil faster. “Did you all sleep well? I slept like a rock.” He hummed to himself as Káin handed him a steaming mug of tea. He sipped it gingerly, and smiled as the warmth spread throughout his cold body.

“I have never stood watch before,” he told the others who were awake. “Is it usually so quiet during those times? Is standing watch necessary if it is so quiet? Do any of you have tales of travel or of your lives? I would be interested in hearing your stories if we have time before the others waken.”

Káin sipped his tea. “Mmm, that’s good,” he said. He looked at Elfstan over the rim of his mug. “I feel as safe with you standing guard, my dear friend, as I would with a regiment of Gondorian soldiers.”

The Dwarf rested his mug on his knees and stared at the fire. “Stories, eh!! Now, Master Hobbit, my histories may be a bit strong for a youngster like yourself.” Káin chortled and took a mouthful of tea. He gestured to one of the others. “Let one of them go first, or your history might be interesting, laddie.”

Gintel whickered quietly as the Istar conversed with her silently. The horse had nothing particular to say, nor did Wind Dancer. As long as Orcs were not about, Belle was satisfied. She patted Gintel and went off to join Káin and Elfstan at the fire. What was that? Hot tea brewing? Erú bless the Hobbit and the Dwarf!

A smiling Elfstan handed Belle a steaming mug. She smiled back and gave the Hobbit a little bow. Carefully, she sat on a log near the fire, letting the cup warm her hands. Sipping the tea, she could feel the fatigue from her nightmares slowly dissipating. Perhaps she worried too much; all was quiet …

As Belle took the last of the hot liquid in her mouth, Elfstan suddenly sat down beside the Istar and looked at her attentively. “Tell me the story of your family! I love family histories!” he said brightly.

Pftttttt! The startled Istar spewed her tea all over the astonished Hobbit. She rose to her feet making choking and strangling noises, and with a glare at Káin, whom she was certain put Elfstan up to the question, stomped off muttering to herself.

Elfstan looked at Belle’s retreating figure with a confused expression, then took out his handkerchief. Turning to Káin, he asked plaintively, “What did I say?”

After he had wiped his face, Elfstan grinned at the Dwarf. Even if Belle didn’t want to share, he was sure that he could get a good story out of the Dwarf and Tanzy who were awake. Elfstan LOVED stories, especially family histories. He guessed that he should start with the story of how he got to Minas Tirith in the first place. He began.

“I actually wasn’t supposed to be allowed to come to Minas Tirith at all; I was too young and impetuous. Well, my being impetuous is what got me stowed away in the first place. I have to admit; I snuck in and hid myself.

“I had heard through Master Gormadoc that there was to be a group of Hobbits traveling to the White City to help with the clean up after the battle. I so desperately wanted to go that I had to think of a way to do it without them finding me until it was too late to turn back. I knew I would be in trouble, but I didn’t care at that point. Getting to the White City, seeing the Coronation was all that was important to me.

“Master Gormadoc had loaded several carts with the herbs and healing supplies that would be needed on the journey to Gondor. There were large bags loaded on the cart, so I wriggled myself in-between them and made myself a right comfortable nest. I stayed there and snuck out at night to use the ‘necessary tree’ and to stretch a bit.

I finally made myself known about a week out. Boy, was Master angry! But I got to come nonetheless. It was worth weathering that particular storm. Plus, I have been helpful along the way. So it was a good thing that I came along.”

Tanzy stood sipping some tea and thoroughly enjoying the exchange between the Istar, Hobbit and Dwarf. My, but the Istar was touchy this morning! "My goodness, Elfstan!" she exclaimed. "I am really impressed! That sounds like something I would do, but I would never get away with it," she giggled. "You really are a resourceful Hobbit! You shall have to teach me some of your tricks!" she winked.

"Thank goodness you are so creative. Gabby and I feel blessed to have your skills and friendship here with us on this journey. Besides," she said mischievously as she nudged Kain in the ribs with her elbow, "you can never have too many Hobbits on a truly 'good' trip!"

Káin had watched with some amusement as Belle stomped off, digging holes in the ground with her staff as she went. He turned back to Elfstan as the Hobbit began to relate his story of how he came to be with the present company.

“And I am glad you did what you did, Laddie. My life would have been the worse for not having made your acquaintance, as it would have been had we all not met.” He leant over and patted Tanzy’s hand, inclining his head cheekily and grinning.

“I suppose you want to know how I came to be here?” Káin stroked his beard. “Well, nothing too intriguing.” He picked his pipe from the ground, packed it with leaf, lit it and blew a long stream of smoke up into the morning air.

Using the stem to emphasize points, he began.

“I was brought up in the Iron Hills; lived there all my life. An only child, but with numerous cousins. We had a good living with the mining. Collected quite a tidy hoard as it happens. Not short of a jewel or two.” He laughed loudly, winking at Tanzy, and waving one of his braids at her.

“Father set me up in a Smithy. I can turn my hand to making most weapons.” Káin lovingly ran his thumb along the blade of his axe. “Well, to cut a long story short, a message arrived from Gandalf, telling me of the Coronation, the Wedding and that my cousin, Gimli, was staying in Minas Tirith. So here I am.”

The Dwarf spat into the fire, spittle trailing over the small boulders surrounding the flames. It sizzled as it touched the hot stones. He looked across as Gabby, who was still asleep.

“Are we going to wake him? I’m hungry; don’t know about anyone else.” The Dwarf’s stomach rumbled. He looked at Elfstan’s and Tanzy’s faces. “I suppose neither of you are handy with a frying pan are you?” he smiled broadly. Here they were; not the most together group, but good friends. He looked over at Belle, who scowled back. He smiled and winked. A wry grin crossed the Istar’s face. “That’s more like it, my friend,” he called.

“Elfstan,” said Belle, rejoining the group, “why don’t you rouse Gabby? In the meantime, let’s see what we can find for breakfast!” To herself, she thought, ‘Gandalf told me a long time ago that Hobbits were full of surprises. I can’t be put out with you, Master Fairbairn!’

Tanzy poked at the fire a little, hoping Gabby would soon rouse. She was really getting hungry! "Well, I suppose I could tell a little about how I got here. There were a lot of us Hobbits that felt we needed to do our part in the War. We were too late for most of the fighting by the time we knew everything that was going on, but we figured we could at least help clean up the after effects.”

”So a bunch of us came with Radagast the Brown and a couple of Dúnedain Rangers over here to help with the disposal of the carnage. My dad was furious and not just a little worried, but I take after my – mom -- and he knew he couldn't stop me. So here I am," she added with a sheepish smile. "And I'm starving! When is Gabby going to wake up???"

Gabby had awoken at about the time that Kain had rolled over and bumped the rock. For some reason his shyness had overcome him again and he was unwilling to climb out of his covers and face the rest of the group. With all they had been through together he shouldn't feel so insecure, but he did.

He listened as each in turn discussed various parts of their lives and why they had come to Minas Tirith. He didn't figure he had anything terribly interesting to say so he just lay there quietly listening to his friends talk amiably and sip their tea.

As he lay there he heard them begin to discuss food and hoped that his own stomach's rumbling wouldn't give lie to the fact that he was only pretending to sleep. He peered out one eye in time to see the Dwarf spit into the fire and heard the sizzle of the spittle on the rocks. It reminded him of the sound of bacon frying and that made his stomach rumble even louder and more anxiously. There was nothing for it; he was going to have to get up.

Seconds later he heard the Dwarf exclaim he was hungry and then some other voices follow. He could pick out each of his new friends voices without even looking to see who they were. He'd better get up, or the Dwarf might be angry for the whole day!

Pretending to stretch and suddenly wake, he looked over at Tanzy, who seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. Putting aside his bedroll -- he'd take care of that later -- he hurried to fish out a frying pan and some food. Before going to bed he'd decided on this morning's menu. He'd got some bread ready to fry and had bacon and sausage in mind. Along with that he had some fresh blood pudding that he'd gotten hold of only minutes before leaving Minas Tirith and wanted to have that before it had a chance to spoil. They wouldn't have many breakfasts with food this fresh on the road.

The others watched as Gabby worked. No one said anything for awhile but just looked at him going about his business. "Either they think I'm a slug for making them wait, or they're so starved they can't talk," Gabby thought to himself.

He worked quickly and meticulously, trying to be sure everything was hot and tasty at once. Tanzy looked at him and said, "You know, Gabby, we've all been having a little chat about how we came to be here; why don't you tell us while you cook about how you got here."

Gabby was startled. "I know," he said, "I was listening." At this there was a little harrumph from the Dwarf and a chuckle from the Istar. Gabby hurried on, not waiting for chastisement. "I really don't know why I am here. I was just thinking about it one day and missing Sam and his friends and thought, ‘Why not me? I could do this!’ The next thing I knew, I had made plans for someone to care for my farm and animals and was on the road. By the time I realized what I was doing I was more than halfway to Minas Tirith and figured I may as well go forward as back, and here I am. Good thing too, or none of you would have any breakfast," he added with a sheepish grin. At that he handed around the two frying pans with eggs, sausage, bacon and fried bread. He pulled the blood pudding away from the fire and offered it first to Kain. "Sorry to have kept you waiting, Master Dwarf!” he said. Then he turned and gave Tanzy and Elfstan a wink and a smile.

'Ooohh! That little Hobbit!’ Tanzy thought as she tucked into breakfast.

“Save some for the Rangers!” admonished the Istar, marveling anew at how quickly the Hobbits could pack away sheer quantities of food. “Sila! Janell!” she called. “Breakfast!”

Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 06:53
First Night Out of Minas Tirith

A warm glow flickered around the camp fire as each member of the company laid out their bedroll and prepared to sleep for the night. There was a feeling of comfort in Siladan’s heart. She sensed no evil about them and was happy to be with her companions.

With her blanket’s spread out near the fire, Siladan unbuckled the baldric from her waist and laid the swords at her side as she too lay down for the night. She had lain for a time watching the embers glow of the fire. She glanced up to see Belle smoking her pipe as she took the first watch.

She had thought to get up and sit with the Istar, but changed her mind. The questions she had would keep. She rolled over on her back and looked up at the stars in the clear night sky. In the Gondorian summer night she felt a cool breeze blow and her heart felt the joy it had longed for; to bed down away from under the cover of a roof, to feel the breeze across her face, the smell of the air, clean and clear, mixed with the scent of trees and a glowing fire. She felt at peace.

She had not pulled a blanket over her before she dozed off, but when she awoke in the night, she was wrapped in Jahan’s cloak. A snap of wood breaking had startled her awake only to see Belle laying wood on the fire. A dream lingered in her consciousness that she could not shake and she was covered in sweat.

She laid the cloak off of herself and rolled over to grasp hold of her sword. She felt the new leather as her hand gripped the scabbard. She felt the leather’s suppleness and inhaled the scent of the new leather. In the darkness her eyes squinted to look at it, fixed on the detail that had been hidden under the layers of years of use. It had not looked this new even when she had first taken it from Rivendale. She had not taken time to look at the new sheath or the sword in her rush to leave Minas Tirith and to catch up to her companions. The dim glow of the fire would reveal nothing to her eyes, but her mind was alive with thoughts.

Her mind went back to the day when in her late teens Master Elrond had given her permission to enter the armory and she was allowed to choose whichever sword her heart desired. The memory of that day came clearly into her mind.

From the moment she approached this sword she had heard the cries of a people from out of the darkness. When she passed it by the voices stopped. She surveyed the entire room of weapons that were being offered to her. Many times she went back to the sword from which the voices had called to her. At length she reached out her right hand to grasp the hilt and raise it from its stand. It felt light in her hand, the length was perfect for her stature and as she swung the sword round, slicing the air she heard it sing the words “Defend our people. Defend our lands.”

She brought this sword into both hands and looked down at it. It appeared old and not very well kept, which had surprised her, given that she was in the armory of Rivendale.
As she placed the old blade back in the stand it cried out, “You must defend our people.” Stepping back, she looked at it for along time. She sat cross legged on the floor in front of it and contemplated this blade. She had visions of orcs and goblins running freely across the country raiding and burning villages killing the people. Again she heard the cry, “Defend our people.”

Finally, she stood, looking at the sword she bowed slightly and said, “I will take you for the purpose for which we are meant.” She reached out taking the sword and the scabbard that hung next to it. She put the sword in the scabbard as she left the room.

On exiting the elf assigned to oversee the armory asked what sword she had chosen. When she revealed it to him he was taken back. “None have been able to raise that sword from its stand since it was brought here.” He paused in thought for a moment. "We must see Elrond.” The elf said as he moved toward the doorway, motioning Siladan to follow.

Elrond was sitting in the library when the elf approached with Siladan behind him. “What is it that disturbs my studies?” He said as he turned to stand.

“My Lord, the lady has chosen. . .” his words faded out as he stepped aside to allow Siladan to come forward. She was holding the sword in both hands laid open as if presenting the blade to him.

Elrond ran his eyes along the sheath to the hilt of the sword and then with raised eye brows he looked into the young womans eyes. “You have chosen a worthy blade, Siladan.”

“I have not chosen, Lord Elrond. It has done the choosing.” She said timidly as though afraid to say what had transpired in the armory.

“Indeed. You say you did not choose, yet here it lies in your hands,” his eyes questioning her.

“While in the armory, as you gave leave for me to do, I walked the room over and over again. Each time I came near this blade I heard voices cry out. ‘Defend our people.’ At length I took it in my hands and now here I am before you. What is this blade and why is it in ill repair when it seems to have great desire for work?” She asked for the wisdom of the Lord before her.

“This blade has been guarded, protected for the day when it, alone, would choose who would wield it. This blade has an old history. After its owner’s death in battle it was placed with him in the earth as is the custom. But other forces at work in the world brought it forth to be discovered in the hoard of cave trolls some years back. The riches of the hoard that had not already been claimed were gathered to Rivendale till their time of need would arise.” He paused allowing his words to be ingested by the young woman before he went on.

“I have always known there was something special within you, Siladan. Your journey through life has begun. You shall have long life and great trials through which your spirit shall burn as a flame of light to those who meet you. When time is fulfilled you shall know the history full of this sword that has chosen you to wield it.”

The images passed from her mind and she lay quietly thinking long into the night before drifting off into sleep. When she awoke it was to the sound of laughter, conversation and the clanking of pans.

She was already awake when Belle called her to breakfast. The new day was begun.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 04:45
Thanks to Rose, Elfstan, Kain, Belle,Siladan, Janell,Tanzy and Gabby for a rousing day.
The Journey Has Begun

As the company finished breakfast and began to break camp, Gabby put away the food and cooking utensils and packed up the bed-roll he'd left. "Did you all enjoy breakfast?" he asked. "Oh and by the way, I'll entertain suggestions on what you all like to eat. Don't know what we can catch along the way but I'll do my best to make it tasty," he grinned at the others.

Grabbing up what little the Hobbits had left; Siladan took a few sausages and some bacon in some bread. "Gabby, do you know how to cook rabbit? I have brought my bow and if I have the chance I will get us some nice coneys. I have a bag of carrots and potatoes in my pack."

“I have a full pouch of cooking herbs if you need them, Gabby,” piped in Elfstan. “You are more than welcome to use them if needs be. I know that there are lots of herbs on the way home in the wild. I learned a lot from my master on the way to Minas Tirith, and King Elessar was kind enough to guide me in some of the plants that Master Gormadoc couldn’t identify during our stay in the White City.”

Elfstan got up from the fireside and packed the last of his gear into his bed-roll. He took them to Aster who stood nearby ready to be saddled. Elfstan checked the bags of herbs once more and hitched up the last of his supplies on his pony’s back. He tightened Aster’s cinch and hauled himself up onto the sturdy grey pony. Glancing around, he saw the others preparing themselves as well. Leaning over, he lovingly stroked Aster’s sturdy neck. “Well, old friend, we’re really on our way home.”

"Yes, I do know how to cook coneys, Siladan. How do you like them? I can fillet, steam, boil, put in a stew or fry them," Gabby shouted over the clatter of things being hauled onto horses. "Hey, Elfstan, thanks for the offer of the herbs; we should compare them and see what we have. I'd hate to run out of everything but curry. Between us that would make for a stream of very similar meals.”

Káin returned from a call of nature. He overheard Siladan asking Gabby about cooking rabbits. He laughed and strode over to the Ranger.

“Asking a Hobbit whether he can cook rabbits!! That’s like asking Aragorn, is he King!!” The Dwarf nudged the Ranger in her ribs, nearly knocking her over. He reached out a hand and steadied her, grinning broadly. Looking at Gabby and hearing the Hobbit’s response to Siladan, Káin called out to him.

“I like them roasted myself, Master Hobbit, or should I say Chief Cook.”

Steadying herself and trying to save the makeshift breakfast she had in her hand, Síladan chided the Dwarf, “Careful there Master Dwarf. You don’t want to go injuring your Ranger guide on our first day out.” Síladan said it with a laugh and gave Káin a little sideways bump with her hip. She walked off towards her bed-roll, still laughing.

Káin bowed to Siladan. “I forget my own strength at times.” He winked at Gabby and went over to the ponies, saddled up and sat waiting for the others.

Janell had woken early. She could not get used to sleeping on the ground. It had been a long time since she had. She had gotten used to sleeping in a bed. She had seen Elfstan on guard duty. Elfstan looked in her direction and Janell placed her finger on her lips, letting her know that they should let the others sleep. Janell rolled up her bed-roll and got her other things together. She was going to scout around to see if the coast was clear. They didn't need to come across any trouble. While out scouting, she came across some berries and herbs that she ate for breakfast.

She rode around for a while and seeing no trouble, she headed back to camp and she heard about conies being cooked on a fire. She saw everyone getting things together and breaking up camp. "I also have some knowledge on catching food for us. I have become somewhat of a hunter with my bow also, Siladan."

Janell looked at the rest of the group and was amazed at how fast everyone got ready to go. "I have eaten already and was out taking a look around to see if there was danger. I have not seen anything that would impede our journey. We will be safe for the time being. Has anyone got any idea how long it will take us to get to Edoras from here?" Janell said, straightening out her tunic.

“Very good, Janell. We shall ride today with out much concern,” Síladan said as she munched on the sausage sandwich. Holding it between her teeth she buckled on the baldric of swords and knife. She then laid the bacon sandwich on a rock and went about gathering her things.

As she was strapping her bed-roll to the saddle, Maereth stood patiently, then seeing the sandwich on the rock she reached her head down and snatched it up chewing contentedly while Síladan continued to put her things in the saddle bags. When she was done she reached for her sandwich and finding it gone she pulled the reins and looked straight into Maereth’s eyes. “Are you enjoying my breakfast?” Laughingly, she mounted the horse and called out to the company.

"Shall we begin?" She looked around and saw everyone mounted and ready to ride. "We will have a leisurely ride and enjoy the scenery of Anórien and we will have opportunity to see ruins of the past. We have many days to travel this road. We will maintain our distance behind the Escort. Many of the Escort are on foot and will be traveling slowly." She paused a moment and then turned to Janell. "Will you bring up the rear and be sure none of the Hobbits get left behind?"

Janell was on edge about traveling with so many Orcs on the loose. She was looking at Siladan to see if her injury was impeding her as she sat on her horse when Janell heard the question. "Yes, I will do just that. This way I can keep an eye out and make sure that no one is following us," Janell stated.

Mernin pranced, Káin’s pony sensed they were on their way home. The Dwarf pulled in on the reins and patted Mernin’s neck. “Whoa, whoa! Steady there! We will be off soon.” Káin looked round his companions, all seeming eager to be on the move. He agreed with Siladan about taking their time. It would be interesting to see any ruins of the past.

Gabby looked at Tanzy and Elfstan, "You know once I get back to the Shire and see to my farm, I'm heading straight for Michel Delving to the Mathom-house and see if I can get a map to hang on the wall. Maybe they'll have an extra they can give me. I honestly get so lost every time a new place is mentioned. I feel like such a ... Hobbit," he stated. "Are you both as lost as me without our company?

Elfstan's laughter came out in snorts, "I would get lost in my own backyard, my old gammer would say. I am so thankful to have those who know where we are going. I for one would be lost in this wide world."

The young Hobbit rode in silence for awhile thinking of the vastness of Middle Earth and his decided lack of navigational skills. He loved maps to be sure; he just wasn't very good at reading them. He vowed then and there to make sure that those who had more experience in map reading teach him a thing or two about that skill. Elfstan was determined NOT to be ever lost in the wilderness. "Well, not if I can help it!" he admitted to himself.

Tanzy looked from Gabby to Elfstan. She shrugged her shoulders at the thought of a lost Hobbit. A little smile played across her mouth at the thought. Gabby wasn't sure what that meant, but decided to leave it alone as they were galloping from camp. He'd ask Tanzy about it later.

Listening to the Hobbits’ conversation brought a smile to Belle’s face. She dropped Gintel behind them a bit, but stayed ahead of Janell. With Siladan leading the company and Janell keeping their backs, she could turn her mind to other things. The Istar conversed silently, first with Gintel, and then with Wind Dancer; they seemed content. The few birds flying above gave warning cries to each other over Tanzy’s hawk, but other than that, all was well. Belle allowed herself the luxury of relaxing just a little.

Reining in beside Belle, Káin and Mernin kept pace with Gintel. The Dwarf did not speak to the Istar, but was just at peace being in her company. He took a small set of pipes from his tunic and began to play a soft, melodious Dwarven tune. Mernin’s ears twitched and the pony nodded its head as if enjoying the music.

With the question being answered, Janell took up the rear. With all the danger lurking about, she kept her eyes peeled to the woods they passed and the flat plains. ‘We don’t need any mishaps happening to us for quite a while,’ Janell thought to herself.

And so it was that the company began their journey to Edoras. Along the Great West Road they traveled. The sun shone each day, warming the journey. In the cool of the night they spent evenings around the fire . The camaraderie grew as they took turns telling tales of their individual lives and experiences. After 10 days on the road they reached the Merring Stream where they made camp and planned to spend a few days.

The days and nights passed quietly as the company traveled. They were only one day behind the Escort of King Théoden, which was moving at a walking pace making about 15 miles a day. Out of respect for the fallen king they did not attempt to catch up or pass the Escort.

[Edited on 14/1/2005 by brandywine]
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2005 06:21
Thanks to my fellow writer's for a wonderful RP

Rosearialelven ~ Káin
Scots56 ~ Elfstan Fairbairn
Shireling - Tanzywood
Balrog ~ Janell
Bellemaine – Belle
Brandywine ~ Gabby Harfoot
Lothien_Vilya ~ Síladan

Rescue At The Merring Stream

The group of travelers had made a nice pace to the Merring Stream and after retiring for the night, Gabby had lain awake for awhile contemplating the next morning's meal and the possibility of getting up early enough to get a good wash in the stream before the others awoke.

With that end in mind, Gabby set his mind to rising just as dawn was breaking. He knew the stream would probably be cold, but he felt a real need for a good wash. 'I hope I don't freeze myself,' he pondered as he walked to the stream with his personal items and wearing only his long underclothes to keep his modesty.

Happily, the rest of his companions were still asleep, or seemed to be. Gabby had the necklace he needed to give to the Lady of Rohan tied around his own neck as a safeguard against losing it.

He knelt before the stream and examined the pretty rocks just becoming visible in the breaking sunlight. He couldn't get very wet though as the shoreline seemed to remain so gradual that immersing himself in the water was impossible. Disliking streams but wanting to be clean he ventured further, one little foot at a time.

Suddenly Gabby felt the ground beneath him disappear and he fell right into the water. He was in above his head, arms flailing and eyes full of fear. After a few gasps from the cold, he found the strength to scream for help.

The peace and quiet of the early morning was pierced by screams for help coming from the river. Grabbing her sword, Siladan got up and ran in the direction of the calls for help. Suddenly from nowhere appeared an Elven stranger.

~~~

Encamped around a bend of the stream from the traveling company, Rían had awoken to the gentle sounds of birds slowly ushering in the new morning. The tall Elf rolled onto his side and looked about him, getting his bearings once again.

He had been on the outskirts of the White City for the past several months keeping watch in the aftermath of the fall of the Dark Lord. There was still danger within the lands of Middle-Earth, even after the coronation of the King. He was there to guard against it in whatever form it was to take.

Slowly, Rían rose and stretched, working out the kinks from resting on the hard ground overnight. He walked over to Amras who was grazing nearby. The black stallion looked up and whickered softly to Rían. Rían stroked his soft nose, quietly communicating his good morning wishes to the magnificent horse. They stood for several minutes in the silent communication born of closeness.

Suddenly, a terrified scream rent the air close by. Rían’s head snapped around to the sound. Grabbing the nearest weapons to hand, his Elven daggers, he raced through the forest in the direction of the Merring Stream and the panicked screams. As he was emerging from the wooded glen and nearing the stream, he saw other figures flying towards someone obviously in distress in the stream as well. He was closer and knew that he could get to the person struggling in the stream before the others. He prepared to dive.

~~~

Gintel eyed Belle inquisitively. “Laundry,” Belle said mentally to the bay mare. Leaving her mount to crop some grass growing near the stream, the Istar began to wash the dirt and dust of ten day’s travel out of her clothes. Her long robe kept the chill of the morning away, and if she hurried, she might get a chance to scrub down and wash her hair. Healers needed to be clean. Gabby had the watch, and she wanted to finish the job before breakfast.

A shrill and urgent cry disturbed the peace of the early morning. Eru, what now? The Green Istar took off, robe flapping, staff in hand, running in the direction of the scream.

Janell was waking from the best sleep she has ever had in a long time. It was great to sleep on the ground again. She wasn't even out of her bedroll when she heard a scream for help. She jumped up and rushed to where the screams came from.

When Janell arrived at the stream, she looked to see who was screaming. She saw Gabby flailing his arms about trying to get out of the water. At the same time she saw someone come forward to help. This was a total stranger that came out of nowhere. She was stunned at the beauty of this Elf. He was tall and dark. At the same time, out the corner of her eye she saw Siladan and Belle coming towards the stream.

"What in Arda!" Tanzy exclaimed as she woke from a sound sleep. “That's Gabby's scream, I'd swear!” Grabbing her blanket to ward off the chill she ran toward the water and what she saw made her put her hand over her mouth. She didn't know what to do. True, she was an excellent swimmer (quite unusual for a Hobbit) but Gabby was in his underwear! How on earth could she save him without embarrassing the poor thing? She didn’t want him to go back to being shy again. Still, saving him seemed to be the most important thing at the moment, so even though there were others rushing to his rescue, she threw off her blanket and charged into the stream. “Hang on Gabby!” she shouted. “We won’t let you drown!”

Even amid all the commotion, Elfstan hadn't awakened. It had been a long ride these past ten days, and while they rode at a slow and gentle pace, it still tired him. He was catching up on some well-earned sleep. Then quite unexpectedly, the air left Elfstan’s body in a painful “Whoofffff”. He looked at what had knocked it out of him and saw the backside of a blanketed Tanzy racing towards the stream. She had evidently stepped on him in her rush. The entire camp seemed to be in an uproar. He gasped for breathe while rolling to his knees and hauling himself upright.

“What in Middle-Earth is going on?” he shouted at Káin as he raced towards the confusion. As he reached the stream’s edge, several things seemed to be happening at once. He saw Gabby flailing and spluttering in the water, Janell and Belle racing towards him, and a tall, dark Elf just diving headlong into the cold water after Gabby.

Káin watch laconically as everyone flew hither and thither. He had heard Gabby's screams. Standing up, as Elfstan flew past, Káin trotted off in the direction of the stream. Káin had crossed the Merring Stream on several occasions and knew it not too deep or dangerous. ‘Hardly the Anduin!’ he chuckled to himself. Still if a Hobbit fell in, it may very well seem deep and there were the odd deep parts. Probably, that was what Gabby had found. With that thought, the Dwarf quickened his pace.

~~~

The cold water of the stream closed over Rían's head as he dived in after the person who was in the water. As Rían came up from under the water, he was shocked to see that it appeared to be either a small child or a maybe; could it be…a Hobbit?? How on earth would a Hobbit get to be in the Merring Stream? The Hobbit was being pulled further out into the stream and was panicking as the shore slipped away from him. A few strong strokes brought Rían close to the panicked Hobbit. “Gently now, my friend,” he said soothingly, “you are not alone. Give me your hand.” He wasn’t sure if the Hobbit had heard him or not. His fear was palpable.

“Hallo!” called Belle to the stranger, holding out her staff. “Push him towards me!"

Rían turned his head at the sound of the voice. He was struggling with the terrified Hobbit—for he was now sure that he WAS a Hobbit. He saw through the water and long hair in his eyes, a staff extended towards him. He pushed the struggling Hobbit in the direction of the staff while yelling, “Grab the staff, young Hobbit! See it there before you? Grab it!”

Gabby looked at the stranger with fear in his eyes. He wasn't really afraid of the stranger. From what he could tell in his panic, the stranger was an Elf and thus likely a friend and he did seem to be trying to help. Gabby continued to flail and tried to see the extended staff but panic welled inside of him and all he did was gulp more water and sink again.

"Siladan! Keep a hold on me, or I'll be in the water with him!" said Belle to the Ranger as she leaned forward even further to extend her staff out to the frightened Hobbit.

As Siladan reached out and grabbed Belle by the belt about her waist, she saw in the midst of the fray a bunch of clothing float into the flailing Hobbit. He couldn't fight off the clothing and grab the staff at the same time. The Green Istar gave a start! Her clothes! She had forgotten all about them!

"Belle, pull back!" Siladan said as she yanked backwards on Belle’s belt throwing the Istar to the ground. The Ranger plunged into the water and grabbed hold of Gabby.

She spoke softly to the hobbit. "Relax, Gabby, I have you!" But Gabby was not about to relax; he was drowning and fear had grasped him when the clothing swept over his head. Siladan wrapped her arm around his neck and side-stoke swimming, dragged the flailing Hobbit to the shore.

Gabby was grateful that Siladan had hold of him, and as he tried to climb on the slippery rocks to regain his footing he fell backward again into the Istar, standing at the water’s edge, and the Ranger, knocking them both back into the stream. Janell went to grab Siladan by the belt but was too late. She lost her footing and also went into the water as the stranger, too, fell back into the water.

“Whoa!” Rían shouted, as one very wet Hobbit and three others toppled over on him, sending him down underwater once again. He managed to push them off from on top of him and regained the surface once more. This was just too ridiculous! He slipped and slid his way to the shore almost on his hands and knees to keep his balance. As he was just reaching the shore, his hand touched something. His fingers grasped it and brought it to the surface of the water. Through the stream mud and water plants, it appeared to be a necklace. “Now, how on earth could that have gotten here?” he wondered.

Gabby turned around and looked at them with a sheepish grin. "Sorry, I didn't mean to do that," he said, grinning.

~~~

Tanzy had started swimming directly for Gabby, but after realizing there was little room for any more help, she decided to just tread water at a respectable distant and wait to see if she was needed. Her opportunity came when the rescuers toppled into the water and emerged again with Gabby in tow. As Tanzy giggled uncontrollably at the wet company, some wet garments floated into her face with a splat! ‘Oh, my! What’s this? Why I do believe it is our good Istar’s clothing from the looks of it. ‘Well, at least I can rescue these,’ she thought, and headed to shore with Belle's laundry.

~~~

Janell got to her feet and went to go get Gabby and Siladan, but they had already made it to shore. "Are you both alright?" questioned Janell. Both were breathing as heavy as the wind.

"I really did slip on the rocks." Looking down, Gabby realized that he wasn't wearing much and what he was wearing was stuck to his body. He also noticed the necklace was missing. With a fretful look on his face he began looking down at the water and rocks trying to find his missing necklace, his claim to a meeting with the Lady of Rohan, his treasure. 'I can't have lost it,' he berated himself and headed straight back out toward the place where the Merring Stream sloped off to deeper water.

Belle planted her staff in the sand under the water and struggled to her feet, spitting and coughing. Aghast, she saw Gabby determinedly wading right back out into the water where he’d gone under before. “Oh no you don’t!” bellowed the outraged Istar. “Fool of a Hobbit!” She called to the Elf who had first gone in after Gabby and who even now was wading ashore. “Stop him!”

The next thing Gabby knew, the tall, dark Elf who had gone to his rescue had him by the arm in a firm grip, dragging him back to the shore in Belle’s direction.

Rían had turned his head in the direction of the woman who had landed on top of him in the water. She had told him to grab the young Hobbit who went into the water in the first place heading back out. “Oh, no, you don’t, Master Hobbit!” admonished Rían. “We have had enough fun in the water for one day, don’t you think?” He took Gabby by the arm with one hand, the necklace clasped in the other and headed back to shore.

The Green Istar listened to the Hobbit’s protests and said to Siladan, “He can’t have swallowed too much water, Siladan; he’s chattering like a magpie!” Going down on one knee, she swiftly patted him down to make sure he was all right. “Water is for washing, air is for breathing, you silly Hobbit!” she muttered.

~~~

When they finally reached the shore, Rían wrung the water out of his hair and his clothing as best he could. He then looked down at the muddy necklace he was clasping in his other hand. He reached back into the stream and rinsed the grime away and revealed a beautiful piece of jewelry.

“You found it! You found it, Sir!” squealed the young Hobbit at his side. Rían looked questioningly at him at this outburst and held the necklace out to him.

"Does this belong to you then, young Master Hobbit?" the Elf grinned as he watched Gabby all but dance in his delight at the return of his precious treasure.

~~~

Standing back a bit from the water's edge, Elfstan stood dumfounded at the scene before him. Dripping people were trying to make their way to the shore, slipping and sliding along the way. The new Elf had Gabby by the arm and Gabby was gibbering away about him finding things. What the stranger had found, Elfstan could not begin to guess, but by the looks of the bedraggled company, he would be busy making herbal teas to ward off colds and coughs. Shaking his head, Elfstan turned back to the camp to retrieve his packs of herbs.

Belle grimaced as she looked down at her sodden robe, heavy with the weight of water. It would take a long time to dry and she was thoroughly chilled. ‘If Gabby weren’t the cook,’ she said to herself, allowing irritation to replace fear, ‘I’d turn him into something unnatural!’

The Green Istar looked up to see Siladan and Janell, both soaked; Tanzy, wrapped anew in her warm, dry blanket and holding an armful of wet laundry; Gabby still going on and on about the Rohirric necklace; and a bemused Elf regarding them all with a look of amusement and incredulity. Elfstan was busy about the camp a short distance away, but where was Káin?

“Lovely weather for swimming, isn’t it?” Belle deadpanned as she wrung out the hem of her robe. They all looked at each other and began to laugh. The Green Istar retrieved her wet clothes from Tanzy, and the beautiful little Hobbit lady smiled graciously, forbearing to laugh at the sight of the Istar’s underwear.

Finally arriving by the side of the stream, the Dwarf shook his head at the sights before him. He rested his hands on his hips and laughed. Taking careful steps off the bank and choosing his way, Káin stood a foot or so away from where Gabby had been floundering, along with Belle, Siladan, Janell and another figure.

"Ahem!!" coughed Káin, attracting everyone's attention. "It's only chest high -- on a Dwarf!!" he said, grinning. Looking down into the water, Káin suddenly lunged forward, pushing his hands beneath the surface. Spray and droplets of water shone like rainbows in the morning sun.

"Breakfast!!" the Dwarf laughed, retrieving his hands from below the water and holding up a very large, wriggling fish.

Wading out of the water, the Dwarf emptied the contents of his water-filled boots and grinned at everyone. "Had Gabby moved but a foot or two to his side, he would have found firm ground under his feet. But you weren’t to know that, were you, my dear Hobbit?" Káin laughed. "Come on, let's get back to the fire and we'll all dry off."

Before making his way to the stream, Káin had placed several logs on the fire, which was now blazing brightly as the companions came back into camp. The Dwarf turned to the stranger and extended his hand. "I'm Káin. Thank you for *saving* our dear friend here," he said, the corners of his mouth twitching with mirth. "But seriously, it was fortuitous that you were nearby. Please join us."
-----------------
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 01:55
((OoC: A most heartfelt thank you to the group on a chapter well done.))

Cast of Characters
Belle: Bellemaine
Elfstan and Rían: Scots56
Gabby: Brandywine
Janell: Balrog
Káin: Rosearialelven
Síladan: Lothien_Vilya
Tanzy: Shireling

Food for Thought

Rían reached for the grinning Dwarf’s proffered hand and found it shaken heartily. He wiped the clinging, wet strands of dark hair from his face and wrung them out. He was drenched to the skin! And cold!

As Rían looked at the group that had gathered around him, his amazement grew. There was such a diversity of people here! “Aiya, máravë omentaina! My name is Ríanor Nénharma. I am sometimes called Rían, and I hail from the Golden Wood. I am pleased to meet you! Please excuse my current state, for as you can see, I went for an unexpected swim.” Rían grinned at the now safe, although drenched, young Hobbit he had rescued. “Master Hobbit, I trust you are well?”

Gabby looked up at his rescuer; his pink cheeks growing hot. “I'm sorry you had to get wet on my account. Like Káin said, if I had stepped a few feet another direction I would have been on solid ground again.” Gabby turned away, somewhat embarrassed to have met such a princely Elf in such a bad way. “I'll go and start breakfast,” he muttered.

Elfstan came forward to the stranger, holding out his hand as had Káin. “I am pleased to meet you, Rían! I’m afraid you didn’t meet our little group at its best.” Elfstan chuckled to himself. He then turned to Gabby, who was slinking off to the fireside looking mightily embarrassed.

“Yo, Gabby! Wait up!” Elfstan called. “I’ll come with you and brew some hot tea for those who chose to take an early morning swim! That way we can ward off any sniffles that might come their way. Can’t have stuffy Wizards and Rangers running about, now, can we?” He shot Káin an impish grin and followed Gabby towards the fire.

Shaking her head as the two Hobbits walked off, Belle offered her hand to the visitor. “Thank you for rescuing our cook, Rían, else we’d be making a long trip with no hot meals!” To his inquisitive look, she responded, “I am Bellemaine, a Healer in Minas Tirith’s Houses. Elfstan, whom you’ve just met, is a Healer also.” Rían looked at Elfstan’s departing figure and laughed, then looked puzzled.

“What did he mean about stuffy Wizards? For I see no Wizards here,” said the Elf. Belle’s eyes twinkled as she rested on her staff. “Oh, Hobbits have a very strange sense of humor. If you’ll excuse me, I’ll see if they need any help.”

Janell stood around with the rest of the troop, talking about what happened. She was wary of this stranger who joined in Gabby’s rescue from the river. “I'm Janell. Welcome to our rabble! What brings you to these parts?” Janell questioned this Elf. “I've never seen you before.” She extended her hand to the stranger. Rían shook hands with the tall quiet woman before him. He noted the wariness in her gaze. With all that had happened in Middle Earth these past months, he was not surprised. He himself was wary as well.

“As I said, my name is Ríanor. I reside in Lothlorien. For the past years I have been on patrol at the request of Lord Aragorn, with whom I am well-acquainted these many years. I was just wondering about your little group myself.”

Káin had left Rían, who was introducing himself to everyone, and went over to the large fish he had managed to pull from the stream. Its cold eye stared up at him. He held his hands out to the fire and turned his rear, attempting to dry off his clothes. Steam rose into the air. The Dwarf did not want to strip off in front of everyone. “Did someone say they were making tea?”

Walking up from behind him, Síladan called, “Rían! I am Síladan of the Dúnedain. Well met! What happenings are there in this region?" she asked.

Rían looked at the Dunedain standing before him. She seemed vaguely familiar, but from where he could not say. “I have been traveling throughout the West these past years, on and off, with the Dúnedain and others. The paths of Middle Earth are not completely safe yet, and I have promised the King that I would keep an eye out as I made my continued patrols.” Rían bowed his head slightly to Síladan. At this particular time, that was all he was willing to reveal to this unknown group.

“We are traveling to Edoras to attend the funeral of King Théoden,” Síladan informed the Elf. The escort with King Elessar is a few days ahead of us, unless I miss my guess. Have you seen them?”

“Yes,” said Rían quietly, “I am truly grieved at the loss of such a king. He will be sorely missed.” Rían then turned to the others in the group. “You have heard of me; now, how did the young Hobbit come to be in the Merring Stream? For I have not heard the Hobbits greatly cherish swimming in such places,” he asked with a grin.

Tanzy stood by Gabby and Elfstan helping with the breakfast. As Rían asked about the Merring Stream, she poked Gabby in the ribs with a friendly wink and turned to answer him.

"Oh, Gabby here just figured we were all a little too dusty from the trail, and needed a good wash before breakfast! Don't worry Gabs!” Tanzy said to the crestfallen Hobbit. “I think it was kind of fun, actually, and at least we did get a big fish out of it! A good- looking Elf to get to know, too!"

Gabby sighed. Would he ever live this down?

“Gabby, are you all right?” asked Tanzy, noticing Gabby’s downcast look. “No harm done to anyone, you know; really! Just something to laugh about at the Green Dragon in the future!”

Gabby looked at Tanzy with a 'You wouldn't dare tell everyone at the Green Dragon!' look, but he knew that in the future this would get out at home. He would have to relive it over and over again. 'Maybe by then I'll think it's funny,' he mused. 'Oh, well, on with breakfast!'

“Káin could you please get that fish gutted and skinned?” Gabby called to the Dwarf. “I've got Tanzy peeling potatoes and Elfstan fixing tea.” Walking over to his bag of herbs and seasonings, Gabby pulled out a few and went to work on the food. He wanted to do such a good job that no one would remember the morning's fiasco in the stream. He touched the necklace, and turned to happier thoughts of being able to show the necklace to the Lady of Rohan, and find the answers to why it had come to be lost in the first place.

The heat from the fire was beginning to penetrate Káin’s leggings, and he moved away as Gabby, Elfstan and Tanzy began to prepare something to eat. Káin prickled slightly at Gabby’s tone. The Dwarf wasn’t too happy at being ordered about by anyone. He shrugged and smiled at his friend. “Alright, Gabby! Give me a minute!” Removing his knife from his belt, Káin took the fish’s head off with one blow, slit the stomach open and pulled out its innards, throwing them on the fire. They sizzled and spat into the air as though complaining. Taking hold of the spine, the Dwarf removed the bones in one deft movement and tossed them onto the fire also. “Here you are, Gabby,” he said, handing the cleaned fish to the Hobbit. “All clean and ready for you to cook!”

The Dwarf leant over to Tanzy. “So! You are keen to meet a good looking Elf, eh? Well don’t forget this good looking Dwarf!” he said with a grin.

Tanzy turned to Káin and giggled gleefully with sparkling eyes. “Oh, now, Master Dwarf, you know I will never be forgetting about you!” The Hobbit lass shook her head and turned back to the potatoes with a grin.

“Thanks, Káin,” Gabby said flatly. Then he added, “I didn't mean to sound so bossy. I'm just still a little embarrassed. I won't let it happen again.” Gabby looked up at the Dwarf from his crouch by the fire. He wanted Káin as a friend, and really hated displeasing anybody.

Káin squatted down and put his arm around Gabby’s shoulder. “Aulë’s blood, my friend! There is no need for you, of all people, to apologize! It’s just we Dwarves. Not used to anyone telling us what to do,” he said gruffly, nudging the Hobbit with his hip and almost knocking him over.

“Ooops!!” laughed Káin. “First you nearly drown, and then a clumsy Dwarf almost pushes you into the dirt. Now it’s my turn to apologize!” Káin stood up and smiled at Tanzy. “You peel a lovely potato, little Miss!” he said, and walked off guffawing. He had a call from nature.

Elfstan looked at Tanzy, Gabby, and Káin as he mixed his special tea. He just couldn’t help giggling to himself as he had watched the Dwarf’s backside steaming with the evaporating water. He also couldn’t stifle the snorts at the bedraggled Gabby cooking. He felt badly for him because he knew the shy Hobbit was mortified to have caused such a ruckus. Why, the poor fellow looked like a drowned rat! The others looked at Elfstan as he turned the last snort/giggle into a cough. “Well, the tea is ready,” Elfstan said. “Anyone brave enough to be first?” he asked, struggling to keep an innocent look upon his face but not being very successful at it.

“I will have a cup, my dear Hobbit, and thank you!” said Belle. “I am sure we will all feel better after some of your invigorating brew!” She winked at Elfstan, knowing full well that while his tea had great medicinal value, it was going to taste a bit strong. So she decided to go first. Taking the mug from her smiling fellow Healer, Belle took a sip. Hmmm; this actually tasted good. “What’s in this, Elfstan? It’s marvelous!”

“Oh!” said Elfstan, brightening at the Istar's interest. “It's an old family recipe. I steep lemon grass to stave off colds and willow bark to keep the aches and pains away. I hope it's not too strong for you!” Smiling, he handed Rían and the others hot, steaming mugs of the tea. Belle let the subtle dig pass. My, but Elfstan was in a giggly mood this morning!

As Káin returned from relieving himself, he saw Elfstan handing out mugs of hot tea. Belle was enjoying hers. As he approached, he wiped his hands down his trousers. “I’ll have one of those please, my dear Hobbit. It smells delicious!”

Sitting on her blankets near the fire, Síladan was eying the newly arrived Elf. She had tried to get him to talk about the things he had seen around the area. His silence concerned her. She was wondering whether or not they were safe, or if there was trouble stirring near by. “Elfstan, I would love a cup of your tea!” she said as she held out her own cup. Then she turned her attention back to the newcomer. “Rían, have there been any evil folk in the area?” she asked pointedly.

“I also would like some of your tea, good Hobbit,” said Janell as she walked up behind Síladan. She was waiting for Rían to answer Síladan's question when she smelled the aroma of fish cooking. Nothing tasted better than fish being cooked out in the wild!

Rían accepted the mug of fragrant tea gratefully. He felt chilled to the bone, and a hot drink was most welcome. He lowered his eyes as he drank deeply from the mug, giving himself time to form his response to the persistent questions that were coming his way from the Ranger.

“My, my, young Hobbit! This is one of the best mugs of tea that I’ve had in a long time. It warms me quite down to my toes,” Rían said. “I am most grateful for it after my early morning swim!” He chuckled at the embarrassed look that the other Hobbit, Gabby, shot at him, then thought the better of it. The poor Hobbit was clearly discomfited. “Now, now, Master Gabby, there’s no need to feel ashamed. I would have come to the aid of anyone who had fallen into the stream,” said Rían. “Although I do have a question to ask of you,” he added. “What is that necklace that I found that you had dropped? It is a beautiful piece of work. Ancient it is, or I miss my guess.”

Gabby warmed to the Elf's easy dismissal of the situation and to the opportunity to talk about the necklace. “I was out riding on the Pelennor with Síladan and Tanzy one day -oh, it seems ages ago, when my pony skittered from a snake or something like that. I fell off, and there it was! It was on the field and I found it. I looked in the libraries at Minas Tirith and found that it was a product of Rohan. It actually looks like the head of the king's sword, though I've only seen that in pictures as well, but I'm sure it must belong to someone very important,” Gabby finished breathlessly.

“Gabby is a great historian!” Tanzy chimed in, holding her mug close to feel the warm steam. “You worked at Michel Delving in the Shire, didn't you Gabby? Oh yes, he is one very bright Hobbit! I can't wait to see who the necklace belongs to!”

Belle looked at the Rangers, who nodded back. She sensed no harm in the Elf, but their questions were not being answered, and she had a few of her own. “Sir Elf,” she said, with a casual smile. “When you are not rescuing camp cooks from a watery end, to where do you travel?” She pulled out her pipe and began to pack it with pipeweed.

Rían looked long and hard at the woman whom the healer Hobbit had called a Wizard. He was a quick judge of character and had no qualms about the group before him, except this woman who was so casually lighting her pipe! Whether she was an Istar or no, he just couldn’t tell. That unnerved as well as intrigued the Elf a bit. As he was heading towards Edoras for the King of Rohan’s funeral as well, he could travel with this group and learn more of them.

“I also am going to Rohan for the King’s funeral. If you wouldn’t mind another companion, I would be honored to join you as long as our paths join. I might be of service to you, if only to look after the Hobbits who get too close to the water!” That surprised Rían; he was not a jester at the best of times. Maybe he felt comfortable with these folk. Time would tell.

Tanzy watched the new Elf with a great deal of curiosity during breakfast. She liked him right away. ‘Just one of those feelings you get,’ she told herself. It was also a little intriguing to watch the rapport, or lack thereof, amongst the Rangers, the Istar, and the Elf. ‘Hmmmm, this could be interesting,’ she thought. She watched intently for the Dwarf's reaction to Rían as they ate, too.

Just as they were finishing clearing up the meal and getting ready to move on, Tanzy pulled Gabby aside. “Gabby, why don't you ask Rían for suggestions on how to approach the Lady when we get to Rohan? I bet he would be a lot of help. I'd kind of like to see him stay with us for a while anyway. Wouldn't you?”

"I would like to see him stay, Tanzy,” replied Gabby. “He seems nice, and I'd like to thank him properly for rescuing me. If he's going to King Théoden’s funeral, he might even know the Lady of Rohan, and help me ask her about the necklace.” Gabby turned to Rían, and looking up, he said, “Uh! Rían, is that what I should call you? Uh! If you are going to Rohan and would come with us, maybe you could help me figure out a way to approach the Lady of Rohan and give her back this necklace. I'm sure she knows where it belongs.” Gabby waited expectantly for Rían to accept, crossing his furry hobbit toes in anticipation.

Rían turned his head to gaze at the Hobbits. “I would be honored to accompany you, as far as our paths cross. I have spent a great many years in the wilderness and do not know a great deal of the way to approach the great lords and ladies of the Secondborn! But what I do know, I will be glad to share with you. I also have some knowledge of that from my life in Lothlorien. So, yes, I will be glad to join you and your company, Master Hobbit. "If,” and here he looked at the women standing about looking at him so closely, "there are no objections from the rest of your good company." Rían placed his hand upon his breast and bowed low to the young Hobbits before him.

Janell stood next to Rían. She was not sure about this Elf! She had great instincts of knowing people, but sometimes her feelings got clouded over by the things that other people did. “Well, are we going to eat or shall we starve to death?” she asked, somewhat gruffly. “Since we’ve all had our bath and wash, we should have breakfast!” she added.

Síladan was uncomfortable over the situation that had developed with Rían. Gabby had been a little overbold by inviting the Elf to join the company without consulting with her or the others in the company. The impetuous little fellow was well-meaning, but what did any of them know of this Elf? Just because Sauron had been defeated did not mean that all evil had been washed from the world.

Síladan looked around the camp, and noticed that Belle was not completely satisfied with the development. She caught Belle's eye and tilted her head in a signal to indicate she wished a private discussion. Then she stood and moved off it the direction of the edge of the woods that surrounded them. The Istar moved to follow her.

While the others moved about getting ready for Gabby’s repast, Belle followed Síladan out into the woods. Before the Ranger could open her mouth, the Green Istar held up a hand. “I know; I know.” She paused. “I’m sure Gabby got caught up in the moment. Before you send Rían packing, do you think he could be of any use to us on the way? I don’t sense any danger in him, if that helps, and he may have information we can use. *If* we can ever get him to talk, that is.” The Istar looked down at the ground, then looked up at the Ranger and grinned. “Maybe we can make him sing for his supper! Or breakfast, at any rate.” The wonderful odor of fresh fish cooking reached them.

Síladan looked at Belle impassively. “No, I did not intend to send him away,” she said. “I am sure he will, or could be, of some aid to us in our journey. I *was* sensing that he is hiding something. Something we should know.” The Ranger paused a moment and looked around, then continued. “I feel that something is not as it should be here. I do not sense any ill will in this Elf, but I do sense something just not right.”

Belle looked thoughtful. What Síladan was sensing might have something to do with Rían, and then again, it might not. “Then let's just get on with breakfast and the day’s events, but keep an eye on him,” said the Istar. “He may reveal something later on. What say you?”

A long silence followed. Finally, Síladan spoke. “Yes. Let us see if Gabby has that fish ready yet. I am feeling rather famished after our swim. We will hope Rían reveals more to us as the day passes.” They turned together to head back to the camp fire and the smell of fresh fish cooking.

“Síladan,” said Belle, “you'll tell Janell, won't you? I am sure she is wondering about this.” Janell’s wariness was not lost on the Istar. ‘Gabby, what have you gotten us into?’ she wondered.

“Yes, I will as soon as the opportunity arises.” Síladan fell silent.

Elfstan and Gabby worked together in companionable silence preparing the morning’s meal. Of course, there was still the occasional snort/cough/laugh erupting from Elfstan at Gabby’s expense. Gabby did glare at him once or twice, but then grinned self-consciously, knowing that the other Hobbit was just teasing him.

Elfstan looked up and over and saw Belle and Síladan talking together in low tones off a bit from the group. They glanced once or twice to the new Elf, Rían. “Hmm,” he said in a quiet voice to Gabby. “I wonder what that is all about!”

Tanzy looked up towards Belle and Síladan and shook her head. “Maybe they’re a little unsure about Rían. But you know what? Wind Dancer circled him and called softly to him when he came out of the water. That was a friendly and concerned gesture on his part that he would only reserve for someone he trusted. So if Wind Dancer trusts him, I trust him!”

“Hey!” shouted Elfstan, “Breakfast’s ready, if you’re at all interested!” The thought of food soon put all other thoughts out of Tanzy’s mind.

Káin finished his tea and put his hand to his temple. His head throbbed slightly. Looking towards Belle and Síladan, he frowned. He did not like whisperings or quiet discussions.

Standing up, Káin heard Elfstan call that breakfast was ready. ‘Maybe that’s what’s the matter with my head,’ he thought to himself. ‘I’m probably hungry.’ Walking across to the fire, he passed Rían and nudged the Elf. “Hey, ladies! Join me for some food!” The Dwarf grinned. “Seems to me you are causing a bit of stir! No worries on my part, though, even if I am a Dwarf, knowing our history.” Káin swept his arm in a gesture to the Elf for him to walk with him to the fire and food. “Coming Elfstan, Gabby; coming!” the Dwarf called.

Rían lost his seating just a bit with Káin’s kindly nudging. The Elf then smiled at the retreating Dwarf’s backside. He instinctively liked this gruff Dwarf, and that surprised him; he was usually more cautious about them. Maybe that was because he had not had much contact with them before. “Coming, Master Dwarf! I could use a bite to eat come to think of it! ” he called back.

Out of the corner of his eye, Rían saw two of the women talking quietly to themselves. “So!” Rían thought to himself. “They don’t quite know what to make of me!” Pondering that thought, he made his way with Káin towards the fire and the delicious- smelling meal.

“Well, here we are then!” Gabby exclaimed as he passed plates to everyone in turn. “Káin the fish smells especially delicious! We are grateful to you for catching us a tasty side dish to go with the rest of the meal! Eat up, everyone, and let's discuss our plans for the day!” Gabby's eyes were fairly sparkling now. He knew he'd made a good meal, with the help of the other two Hobbits and Káin’s contribution. He couldn't help thinking that if he got their minds on other things they'd quit ribbing him, for a bit, at least. “To friends!” Gabby said, as he raised his glass of water to his companions in an impromptu toast. “To Gabby!” the others chorused.

When Janell heard Gabby’s breakfast call, she came right over. Janell saw movement out of the courner of her eye and noticed that the Istar and Siladan were coming out of the woods together. This puzzled her and thought if it had anything to do with Rian. She knew it had and also knew that Siladan would tell her what was going on. Janell turned her head back to the group and watch as the meal was being devoured.

"Breakfast is ready, if you’re interested," Janell said. She had a puzzled look on her face when she spotted Síladan. 'I bet it has something to do with Rían,' she thought to herself.

“Hurry!” said Belle to the Rangers, grinning. “Or our hungry Hobbits will leave us nothing!”

[Edited on 10/4/2005 by scots56]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2005 07:48
Cast of Characters
Belle: Bellemaine
Elfstan and Rían: Scots56
Gabby: Brandywine
Janell: Balrog
Síladan: Lothien_Vilya
Tanzy: Shireling

White Grain, Green Eye, Blue Day

Breakfast at the Merring Stream was the last leisurely meal the Company would have for many days. It was time to move on, and they traveled quickly. Siladan figured they needed to cover twenty-five miles each day to arrive in Edoras in time for King Théoden’s funeral.

"We have a long way to ride, and twenty-five miles a day will be too much for the ponies, will it not?” the Green Istar asked the Company.

Rían looked over at Belle as she addressed the company about the problem with the ponies. His mind took inventory of all the supplies Amras carried that Rían found he needed in his travels in the wilds of Middle Earth as well as in its cities.

The Elf stopped Amras and turned to look within his packs. He pulled out a small bag of what appeared to be small white grains of some kind. He smiled and looked at the others.

“This is a special grain that is only grown in Lothlorien by my mother’s people. It has properties that will help the ponies on your travels when more speed is needed from them than their hearts and hooves can normally provide. Just mix a few grains in their morning meal, and they will have the stamina of the larger horses. Use it only at need and not for long, extended periods of time. Your ponies will then be able to keep up with the horses with no injuries to themselves.” He handed each Hobbit and the dwarf a small bag of the grain to give to each of their mounts. They each thanked him in turn and gave their mounts a few precious grains. Rían then gave Belle a bag to keep safe for the journey after he was no longer with the company.

Káin took the small bag and mixed it in with Murnin's feed. The pony snuffled greedily into the provender and several moments later stood, bright-eyed, pawing the ground and ready to be off. Káin patted his pony's neck and waved at Rían. "Thank ye laddie, it's a fair while since I saw that light in Murnin's eye," he laughed.

Káin stowed away the small amount of the grain that he had kept back. It had been a thought, that when the time came that he and his companions would separate, it would be of help on his journey home. He patted Murnin again, absentmindedly as he thought of home. It had been a while since he had been there and his chest ached.

Taking a deep breath and stalling unsprung tears at his thoughts, the Dwarf climbed into his saddle, drew up his reigns and sat waiting for the start of the remainder of the journey to Edoras and Théoden's funeral.

Belle smiled as she recognized the grain. It was a gift that Elves did not bestow liberally. "Thank you, Rían!" she exclaimed, eyes wide. "This is most generous!"

She stowed the grain in Gintel’s saddle bags, murmuring a protection spell as she did so, marveling. Only the grain used to make lembas would be more precious.

Soon the Company was on its way, the ponies having no trouble keeping up with the horses.

Looking up at Rían, Gabby thanked him for the gift of the grains. Rían seemed like a nice enough fellow and Gabby was glad he was along with the Company, at least for a little while. It somehow felt safer having him there.

“Thank you, kind Sir,” said Elfstan as he received his share of the precious white grains for his sturdy pony Aster. “I am at your service and your family’s. I’m sure this will help the ponies. What is this? I’m a healer and am curious about such things.”

Rían smiled at the young Hobbit trotting easily at Amras’s side. “That, Master Hobbit, is a special grain grown in the fair land of Lothlorien. I don’t believe that there is a word in the Common Tongue for it. Maybe call it lossë envinyata. That means white healing. Or, at least as close in your tongue as I can translate it.

“Remember,” cautioned Rían raising his finger, “use it sparingly; it’s not meant to be given to the ponies over long periods of time although for the trip to Edoras, it will be fine.”

Janell was waiting for the rest of the company to mount their horses. She watched Rían give something to Belle. It looked like some kind of grain. Then she remembered that the Elves of Lothlorien were famous for special things. For they possessed lembas; with just one bite it would fill the stomach of a man.

The Ranger waited for everyone to proceed and she took up the rear. She felt safe when everyone was in front of her. She couldn't stand having anyone left behind. Janell was one of the Elves that wanted to protect the Company. ‘We have had too many things happen in the past since we got together,’ she thought. ‘We had better protect each other from getting into anymore trouble!’

Káin, seeing Janell in her usual position as rear-guard, smiled to himself. The Elf was a worrier!! He turned and settled himself back into his saddle, whistling softly to himself. Murnin's ears twitched as the pony moved along at an easy gait, enjoying the familiar tune that Káin was whistling.

It was a lovely day; thin wispy clouds scudded across an azure sky. High, high above them, Wind Dancer could be seen, also keeping an eye on the travelers. Káin whistling was challenged suddenly as a lark soared skyward, its throaty song filling the warm morning air. Káin drew in Murnin for the moment and peered upward into the blue, attempting to spot the lark….then the inimitable silence as the little bird's joyous song stopped. The Dwarf grinned as he watched the small speck plummet to earth. It never failed to make him sigh.

Nudging Murnin on again, Káin soon caught up with the group. He sidled behind Rían and Tanzy, cocking an ear to their conversation. A small furrow appeared on his brow as he caught the glazed expression on the Hobbit's face as she gazed at Rían. "Harrruummphh" the Dwarf snorted, causing his beard and moustache to flutter. 'You'll have to keep on your toes, Dwarfy,' he thought to himself.

Tanzy was very impressed, almost in awe of this new Elf. She couldn't stop grinning at him, and put one white grain in her pocket as if to be closer to its "magic" feel. As they rode along she found herself staying close to Rían. She didn't want to miss anything he had to say, especially since he was from Lothlorien, the one place in Middle Earth she was longing to see besides home!

Gabby looked at Tanzy and was mildly surprised to see the look of adoration on her face. He was sure that if Rían suggested she leave and go to Lothlorien with him, she'd hop onto the back of his horse and ride away without a goodbye! He turned to Elfstan and commented on that very fact. "We’d better keep an eye on her, or she might leave when Rían does, just to get a chance to see Lothlorien!"

Elfstan looked over to what appeared to be a moonstruck Tanzy. "Uh, oh," he whispered to Gabby with a mischievous glint in his soft brown eyes, "Káin might not be too happy with this development.” He grinned back at Káin who was a short distance behind them. Gabby just looked at him and rolled his eyes and thought what a joker Elfstan was. He sure enjoyed pulling everyone’s leg. That might just get him into trouble one day although Gabby had suspicions that trouble had already found Elfstan on more than one occasion in his life.

Kicking his pony forward again, Káin rode next to Gabby and Elfstan. "Pahh! You are tooooo right laddie," he interjected at Gabby's comment.

He slapped Elfstan on the back. 'True, my friend, I am not too happy,'" he winked. The three friends guffawed, but Káin the lesser as he had quite a fondness for the lady Hobbit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoying each other' companionship and the beauty of the unfolding landscapes, the small group of friends traveled on, thankfully uneventfully over the next few days, nearer and nearer to their destination and the moment few of them were truly looking forward to ….. Théoden's funeral.

As they passed into Anorien, they heard what everyone thought of as drums. Janell cocked her hers to her left and heard them beating in the hills. The thing is that Janell didn’t see anyone. Then she heard trumpets and then everything was quiet. She wondered if they were meant for King Thoéoden or for Middle Earth’s new king, King Aragorn.

Finally, on a bright but cool morning, the Company came into view of Edoras. Meduseld lived up to its name in the morning sunlight ~ The Golden Hall. Riding through the outlying settlements scattered around the area, the Company decided they would need to find a hostelry. Somewhere to spend the time until the Funeral and prepare themselves, however each of the group felt was necessary.

There was a sombre quietness, as people of Edoras went about their daily routine, each preparing for the funeral of their King, in their own way.

The arrival in Edoras had been both joyous and sad for the travelers. They were glad to have arrived and to see many whom they’d not seen since Minas Tirith. After procuring a place to bed down and stable the horses, the group decided that they would meet the next morning to watch as King Théoden’s body was laid in the tomb that had been prepared. They chose a place on a small hillock above most of the town’s people who would want to say goodbye to their beloved king. From there they watched, each with mixed emotions and feelings dependent upon their contact and knowledge of Théoden and his family.

[Edited on 26/4/2005 by balrog]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 03:13
Elfstan: Scots56

“Reflections on the Hill”

Káin woke up and suddenly remembered where he was and what was happening today.

“Aulë’s anvil!!” he cursed, threw back the covers and jumped out of bed. He rummaged through his pack and found the most sombre outfit he could find. Dressing quickly, sluicing his face with cold water and checking in the mirror that he looked presentable, he grabbed his axe and headed downstairs.

The tavern owner was busy behind the counter and seeing the scurrying Dwarf, called out that his companions had already broke fast and had left to find a vantage point for the funeral.

Waving a thank you, Káin disappeared out of the door. The morning was bright, but cool, and throngs of people were making their way to various points along the pathway that the funereal procession would pass.

He headed towards the Barrowfield. Scanning the area for his friends, he finally saw them seated on a hillock.

Puffing, he clambered up the hill and found Elfstan seated a little way off from the rest of their group.

“Made it,” Káin said, holding his sides and breathing heavily.

Elfstan grinned up at the puffing dwarf. “Nice to see that you decided to make an appearance, Káin. Too much celebration at the King’s funeral feast last night then?”

Káin grinned and his cheeks coloured, remembering the mood of the day. “Hmmm, yes. I met Gimli and Legolas and there was a repeat of the drinking contest they had last time they were here.”

“Tut, tut,” admonished Elfstan very quietly turning his attention to the funeral that was about to begin.

The young Hobbit healer looked over the assemblage that had gathered around the barrow that had been prepared for Theoden. There was a group gathered here to honor the passing of the King of Rohan the likes of which had not been seen in Middle Earth since the First Age.

Elfstan felt very small, very humble beside these great folk. He wished he could have known the King of Rohan. The repute of his kindness to Meriadoc Brandybuck had spread like wildfire in the Shire. If for that fact alone, Elfstan would have mourned his passing. His courage on the battlefield of Cormallen was well discussed in the White City as well. Elfstan felt a small ache within his breast, now so familiar, the ache of not being there or being able to help one so great. He sighed softly and watched the proceedings, glad of Káin’s presence beside him.

Káin sat down, his breathing returning to normal. He took a moment to view the scene below him. So many people. Théoden King had obviously been well loved.

The Dwarf had to admit to himself that he really didn’t know that much about the man, other than what he had heard. He knew about the dire period when Théoden had been under the influence of Saruman the White, through the ministerings of Grima Wormtongue.

Káin shuddered involuntarily, the very name ~ Grima Wormtongue ~ had a nasty connotation to it. Thank Aule for Gandalf, that he had been powerful enough to overpower Saruman’s power. Else the outcome of the War of the Ring might not have turned out quite the way it did.

Returning his thoughts to the moment, Káin felt sad. The passing of any noble person was a sad loss.

Káin placed his hand on Elfstan’s shoulder. “I think they are coming,” he said pointing back up the main thoroughfare, where there was movement amongst the crowds.

Elfstan turned around and saw the procession bearing the mortal remains of the King toward the barrow. A small sound of grief escaped from some in the crowd, but for the most part, Theoden’s people stood proud. They were a strong people; a people who had suffered much under Saurman the White. They would not show grief overmuch even though it tore at their hearts.

Elfstan felt a small tear escape his eye and brushed it hastily away. He didn’t want Káin to see him weep. He felt a little silly actually. He hadn’t known the king after all. He straightened his shoulders as the procession passed right under the small hill that the company stood upon. He bowed his head in respect as the bier passed.

Káin now standing beside his friend, watched sombrely as the procession pass by. He noticed Elfstan’s grief, but did not comment. He was busy controlling his own emotions. He too bowed his head.

The Dwarf felt a pride as he saw his cousin, Gimli as part of the funereal procession. For all the past history between the races of Men and Dwarves, it was a historical moment to see his kin there.

“I wonder how the others are feeling?” Káin said quietly to Elfstan.

“I don’t know,” said Elfstan, looking across to the others. The Hobbit and the dwarf moved towards the group on the hill.

[Edited on 3/5/2005 by scots56]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 03:43
“Private Thoughts”

Rían followed the company up to the small hillock overlooking the funeral rites of the King of Rohan. He stood slightly apart from the others, wishing for some solitude but not wanting to be totally separated from the others he had traveled with these past few days. His nature was to be solitary, but he found a strange affinity with this fellowship of such diverse folk. He found himself wanting their company as he had not wanted anyone’s for quite some years.

He looked down upon the funeral rites and listened to the songs sung in Theoden’s honor. He had known the king, although only slightly. His journeys took him mostly on the outer boundaries of Rohan. The past few years Theoden King had not known that Rían had been within his boundaries. The influence of Saurman and Wormtongue had poisoned Theoden to the point it wasn’t safe for Rían to travel openly within Rohan’s boundaries.

Rían shook off these memories of the past and watched the procession pass by. He bowed his head in respect to the fallen king. When he looked up, he saw Káin and the Hobbit Elfstan pass close to him on their way back to the others. Rían turned and followed these two back to the fellowship they had formed.
bellemaine
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2005 03:30
The funeral procession proceeded to carry the sad and sacred burden of Theoden’s body to its resting place. Merry, the Hobbit who had pledged his service to the King, appeared well nigh inconsolable. As Belle watched from the vantage point of the hillock, she couldn’t rid herself of the nagging feeling that something was terribly wrong. Not just that a good and great King lost his life in the service of the Free Peoples – that was grief enough – but that some menace still prowled about and was yet capable of evil.

The Green Istar had learned from Gandalf of the treachery of Gríma Wormtongue, and had shuddered inwardly to hear his name mentioned among the patrons of the Inn where the company was staying. But Gandalf never told her that he was slain. Could this vile creature yet live? And what of Saruman? When she asked Gandalf if he had perished, the White Wizard simply shook his head and looked away, refusing to discuss the matter. At that time, Belle had chalked up the Istar’s silence to his habitual secret-keeping, but now she wondered. Why were such in the back of her head, overshadowing her thoughts? She stood behind the others and sent her awareness into the creatures of the air, but saw nothing. The oppressive feeling presently faded, and Belle turned her attention back to the company.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 08:30
Memories

Janell reached the edge of Edoras with the rest of the company in front. Janell noticed there were barrows on each side, seven on the left and eight on the right. Each mound was covered with simbelmynë, a white flower that bloomed in Rohan every year. In the Elven tongue it meant Uilos. This must be where they will bury Théoden, Janell thought.

Janell looked up and saw the gate to the city. The city was spectacular. It was situated on a lonely foothill that stood out from the White Mountains. She noticed at the top of the hill stood a great Hall of Men. At first glance, Janell thought the city was made of gold. Upon further inspection she discovered it was the sun that made the great hall look like gold. The city of Edoras was a sight to see. This was the land of the Horse Lords. Every emblem had either one or two horse heads on it.

The company rode up to the gates of Edoras and were allowed to pass. Aragorn must have let the guards know there was a company of seven arriving for the funeral of the King of Rohan.

The lower part of the city was filled with mourners. You could hear people crying over the loss of their king. It was a sad state to see this great land in despair. Janell, being of half Elf and half human blood, was overwhelmed with sorrow to see this misery. She was raised by the Mirkwood Elves and they had never seen death before. Especially one that was so high in stature.

Janell listened well when her adopted father told her about King Théoden. He was a great king. His lands were vast for someone who was strong, until she heard of Grima Wormtongue gaining the king's ear. There was talk of the King losing his mind. With so much evil this world had endured, Janell suspected he was being ruled by that same evil. Eomer, nephew of Théoden, was the Prince of Rohan. He was tall, strong and golden-haired. Janell had heard so much of this Marshall of the Riddermark but had never seen him. She saw glimpses of him in the Houses of Healing when his sister, Eowyn, was hurt by the Witchking of Angmar.

As Janell rode up to the Great Hall, the sadness was thick in the air. Janell got off her horse when she arrived at the Hall and a stable-boy took her horse. They had lost their King, just like I lost a father that I never knew, Janell thought.

Just then, Janell saw King Elessar come out of the Golden Hall. He told her to go inside and have something to eat. Janell thanked him and went through the large doors. She noticed that the pillars in the entrances was decorated by dragons in reference to the dragon, who was slain by the might Rohan hero, Fram. This story was one of the bedtime stories that her adopted father used to tell her.

As she entered the hall she then noticed that there were large woven clothes decorating the walls, showing figures of ancient legend. At the end of the hall stood the dais on which stood a great guilded chair, King Théoden's throne. The hall was filled with all kinds of races of Middle Earth. Janell saw people from Mirkwood that she recognized has a child.

Janell could not believe that Théoden King was slain on the fields of Pelennor. She had heard of the great deeds that he encountered at Helm's Deep. Janell could not believe that this was the mighty realm of Théoden.

She continued to look around at the splendour of the Great Hall. Janell noticed a wood-fire set on a long hearth and went towards it to warm her hands. The air outside was a little cool. Janell looked around and saw mighty pillars that upheld a lofty roof.

She walked over to a table that was ladened with all kinds of food. She picked up a plate and placed some food on it. Janell brought her food over to a table and sat down. She was the only one seated here. She picked at her food because she had become accustomed to not eating large amounts of food.

The next day was King Théoden's funeral. It was a sad day for all. Everyone had gathered outside the gates of Edoras. Janell found the rest of the company. On the east side of the path, they laid King Théoden in a house of stone with his arms and many other fair things that he possessed. Over him was a great mound, covered in green turves of grass and of white simbelmynë. And now there were eight mounds on the east side of the Barrowfield.

Janell had tears streaming down her face. She heard a song played by the Riders of Rohan. Just then she heard someone weeping. She didn't know who it was until she heard a small voice call out:

"Théoden King, Théoden King! Farewell! As a father you were to me, for a little while. Farewell!"

Janell had recognized it as Merry's voice. She then turned back to the company.

[Edited on 6/5/2005 by balrog]
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 02:47
In Rohan

Walking Maereth Síladan left her traveling companions and crossed over the crest of the village and down a gentle path to a wood framed cottage. There in front of the cottage stood the lovely Rícellen tending a small garden. She had retained her beauty as age had progressed. Near her a boy was tilling the earth. Rícellen looked up as she approached. Rícellen did not recognize the tall woman coming towards her, then suddenly delight crossed her face as she run towards Síladan calling, “Lyttlebeorn, you’ve returned at last!”

The two women embraced for many moments and when they pulled apart Síladan held fast to the woman before her. Rícellen had tears streaming down her cheeks. Through the tears she was smiling in great joy. “Long have we waited for you to return. Much has happened since you left us so long ago. We feared you would never return to Rohan. But dear you do look well for your age!” They both laughed.

“Aric,” Rícellen called to the boy. “This is our grandson, Aric,” she said as the boy approached them. Aric, this is our friend Lyttlebeorn, who once rode with your grandfather and the Army of Rohan. Take her horse to the stable and bring her things to the house.”

Aric approached Síladan, taking the reins from her hands he bowed slightly to her and looking a bit puzzled at this woman, he led Maereth away. Rícellen took Síladan by the arm and lead her into the house. “We still have your belonging. We kept them in hopes of your return.”

“I had hoped you would still have them. I want to join Hilderin and the men for the King’s burial.”

“Yes, it was a great loss for Rohan to lose not only our King, but so many of the other men as well. Thankfully, Strungâ and our sons returned from the battles with only minor wounds which have healed well. We will do well with Eomer as our new king. He has the strength of the line of Eorl in him."

“Eomer does appear to be well suited to the task. Where is that old man you call husband?” Síladan asked.

“Strungâ is over in the burial ground with the other men preparing for the ceremonies. He will be so please to see you. He’s a Captain now himself.” And the two women entered the cottage.

The day of King Théoden’s burial the warrior of Rohan stood in the uniform of the realm and paid homage to the King she had served in her youth. Standing with the men of Rohan Síladan once again felt pride of the Rohirrim. Tears ran down her cheeks as Théoden was laid in his burrow. Her heart wrenched at the cries of the young hobbit, Merry. Never again would she wear the uniform of that honored land.

Síladan had seen her companions on the hillock near the funeral mounds. She wondered what they would think when they saw her in the uniform of Rohan. They were unaware of her years of service in that country. Later when all had gathered in the Great Hall she found out what they all thought. She drank much that evening and vaguely remembered being escorted to the cottage by the sons of Strungâ and Rícellen.

Later she would be loathed to leave them again. They were aging as was the way of men and she knew that through her Dúnedain blood she would long out live them.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2005 02:29
Balrog ~ Janell - edited 05/16/05
Bellemaine – Belle – edited 05/17/05
Brandywine ~ Gabby Harfoot--edited 5/19/05
Lothien_Vilya ~ Síladan - - edited 6/5/05
Rosearialelven ~ Káin - edited 6/6/05
Scots56 ~ Elfstan Fairbairn 6/10/05
Shireling – Tanzywood 6/10/05

A Farewell to Edoras

Everyone left the burial and went inside the Golden Hall to celebrate the long life of the King. He lived a full life that ended in honour. Janell then saw that Éowyn held a cup in her hands. This was the custom of the Mark; to drink in the memory of the Rohan Kings. Éowyn then handed it to Éomer. He stood up and named the names of the Lords of the Mark. When he got to Théoden's name, he drained the cup. Everyone was to have their cup filled, and then they raised their cups and drank to the new king, crying “Hail, Éomer, King of the Mark!”

Just then Éomer announced that Faramir, Steward of Gondor, had asked Éowyn, Lady of Rohan to be his wife, and she had granted it full willingly. It was nice to see that something other than death came out of the war.

Gabby couldn't wait to present the necklace to the Lady Éowyn. Now, as he and his group were ready to follow, he hoped he'd be able to make it in time to give them the necklace if they wanted King Théoden to wear it to the grave. Maybe the Lady Éowyn would keep it as a memento.

After the funeral of King Théoden, Gabby noticed a restlessness creeping back into the limbs of some of his friends. He knew they would want to be off soon, to continue their own journey. Now that time had finally thrown him into the same concourses as the Lady Éowyn, he became nervous and shy again. He had approached the Elf Rían to help him present the gift. Rían seemed regal and gifted with a so soft voice and an enlightened demeanor. He would be able to back Gabby up. Rían was also intelligent and would know how the people of Rohan should be approached and honored.

Taking a last look at himself, dressed in a new burgundy velvet vest and breeches of the same cloth, Gabby felt ready and steadied himself to speak to the beautiful princess of the horse people. He checked his pocket to make sure the necklace was still there. It was, cool and pleasant to touch. He walked down the back stairs and out the cook’s entrance where Rían was waiting. So intent was he on his mission that he didn’t even stop as cook offered biscuits with honey. He smiled up at Rían.

“Rían, I'd like Elfstan and Tanzy to come along with us, too. I, well, it's just that, ummm, I'm a little nervous, and I think a few more Shire folk might help me feel less shy,” Gabby explained.

The tall Elf looked down kindly at the Hobbit. “Why, yes, that would be fine, Gabby. If your friends would make you feel more at ease, then by all means, bring them along.”

Gabby and Rían walked down the hall together. Tanzy popped her head out of a room to the left of them. "Hey, are you ready now, Gabby?" she inquired.

“Yes, I am. Let's go find Elfstan; I'd like him to come, too,” Gabby said, as they continued down the hallway.

"Do you feel like you need reinforcements, Gabby?" Tanzy asked.

"Just good friends!" Gabby replied, squeezing her arm.

Káin had found Gimli and Legolas, and stood talking about their feelings about the funeral. They, of course, knowing the King, and Gimli, proud to have been able to play a part in defending Helm’s Deep, as was Legolas.

Out of the corner of his eye, Káin had noticed Gabby leaving the Hall. The Hobbit seemed to be distracted, and the Dwarf wondered if everything was alright. He shrugged and felt if there was a problem, Gabby would have said something.

Káin turned back to Gimli and Legolas. “Good news about the Lady Éowyn and Faramir! Not that I know them, but everyone deserves happiness!” Gimli and Legolas nodded. “They will make a lovely couple, and Faramir has been through a lot, as has Éowyn, having lost her beloved Uncle.”

Elfstan had been out in the kitchen gardens with one of the healers of Edoras looking over the herbs within the garden. The young man was about Elfstan’s age and they had been having a high old time discussing herbs, remedies, and the momentous events in Middle-earth. It was good to talk to someone his own age that had the same interests as he himself did. He could almost imagine the tall youth was one of the other students of Master Gormadoc and was studying along with Elfstan under the wise old Hobbit healer.

He felt a tug within his heart; a tug that was pulling him home. It had been months since he’d seen his family and friends. He never thought that he’d miss them so very much. Time and distance made the ache sharper.

“Master Elfstan,” Elfstan heard a quiet voice behind him. He looked over his shoulder and saw Rían standing there with a nervous looking Gabby behind him. He also saw Tanzy peeking out from behind the others and wiggling her fingers at him in greeting. “We have a request to make of you, if you don’t mind. Gabby and I are on our way to see the Lady Éowyn and return the necklace that Gabby found to her. He would like some moral support. Would you be willing to come with us?”

“Why, certainly I shall come!” cried Elfstan, as he scrambled to his feet. He looked at Gabby with a huge grin on his face. “You don’t even need to ask! Just give me a moment to clean up a bit. I wouldn’t make a good impression with dirt under my nails, now, would I?”

Rían, Gabby, and Tanzy sat on low benches in the garden, enjoying the many scents wafting over them from the fragrant herbs planted there. The young healer that had been engaged in conversation with Elfstan moved away as he worked culling the necessary herbs for the care of those still suffering injuries from the recent battles.

True to his word, Elfstan had returned within a few minutes, clean and presentable enough to meet the Lady Éowyn. He joined the group as they made their way to the audience with the Lady.

Gabby, Rían and the other two Hobbits searched the crowded room to find the Lady Éowyn. She was in a corner of the room, sitting at a table, watching. A wistful smile played across her lips. The small group wove purposefully through the people celebrating in King Théoden’s honor.

As they neared the Lady, Gabby’s sense of purpose was replaced by nerves. He tried to hide behind the tall Elf, but Tanzy pushed him forward. The Lady, noticing the movement, looked up and smiled at the group.

Rían approached the lady and bowed low before her. “My Lady, my name is Ríanor Nénharma of Lothlórien. My traveling companion, Gabby Harfoot of the Shire, has a request to make of you. He has found something that I think you will find of great interest. Will you be willing to give him audience?”

The White Lady of Rohan looked curiously at Gabby standing almost, but not quite, behind the tall Elf. He looked so frightened! ‘Poor soul,’ she thought to herself, ‘why, he is red to the tips of his ears!’ In a low, gentle voice, Éowyn addressed Gabby, “Why, yes. What is it you think I would be interested in, Gabby?” She smiled as Gabby mustered his courage and looked into her kind face.

Káin’s attention was caught again, as Gabby, Rían, Tanzy and Elfstan approached Éowyn. ‘Ah,’ he thought. ‘The necklace!’

Káin decided to stay where he was, and hoped that Gabby and his companions would let him know what had happened, once the Hobbit had shown Éowyn his discovery.

“My Lady, I found something on the Pelannor fields that I think must belong to someone here in Rohan,” Gabby said quietly.

The lady looked into the shy face. “What do you have, Master Hobbit?”

“I found this.” He held up the necklace. “It was on the field of battle, and I researched it in the archives at Minas Tirith. It has the same design as the pictures shown of the king’s sword.”

“Oh!” the lady started. “My dear Hobbit, the necklace you found is indeed of Rohan. It is mine, given to me at the death of my mother. It was a gift from my father to her, and one of my only links left to them. I had missed it and thought it gone forever!” She gave the Hobbit a huge hug that had Gabby squirming and his friends giggling.

“You should not have worried so much about the Lady,” Tanzy smiled. She looked at Éowyn and then Éowyn embraced all three Hobbits with a hug and said, “You are an amazing people.”

Janell saw the Hobbits going in the direction of Lady Éowyn. She sat at the table pondering what to do next. All these people were making her nervous. She always kept to herself and wanted to get on the road. Just then she saw Gandalf. “What are you up to?” he asked the Ranger.

“Well, I think we are heading out soon so that we can get the Hobbits back to the Shire. But I don’t know when we will be leaving,” Janell said.

”Well, I hope you have a safe journey, Janell!” Gandalf replied. “Excuse me,” he said suddenly. “There is someone with whom I have been waiting to speak.”

Belle looked up at Gandalf, eyebrows raised. “So!” he said to her, not certain how to begin. “So!” she responded, leaning on her staff. It had taken much to get the company to Edoras, and much had befallen them.

“There are things I yet must do before I leave Arda, and though we both head for the Shire, it is not likely our paths will cross again,” said the White Wizard. “Will you stay with the company?”

“Aye,” the Green Istar looked at her mentor searchingly. “But be certain that we shall see each other again, no matter what comes between.”

The celebration of King Théoden’s life lasted three days. Many toasts to the fallen King and the new king, Éomer, were given, as well as songs sung to the glory of Rohan and Gondor. It was a time of both great joy and of great sadness.

After the celebrations had ended, the company joined together once more at the inn to begin their travels to the Shire. Sunrise found them in the stables readying their mounts for the journey onward.

As the friends passed out of the city, each deep in their own thoughts, there was more than one glance back at the Golden Hall of Rohan. The morning sun had risen and gave the city a golden glow that would stay within their memories for the rest of their lives long after other memories had faded.

[Edited on 11/6/2005 by brandywine]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2005 11:11
Bellemaine – Belle
Brandywine - Gabby
Lothien_Vilya - Siladan
Rosearialelven - Kain
Scots56 – Elfstan
Shireling - Tanzywood
Balrog - Janell

Turning back in his saddle, Káin settled himself. “Well, everyone, I think it would be of use if we headed for Helm’s Deep. What say you all? I am sure they could use help in restoring the walls. If I am not mistaken, Gimli and Legolas will be making their way there also.”

"Oooh! I would love to see Helm's Deep. Is it really on our way?" Gabby enquired eagerly.

“You bet, Káin! Maybe we can get to know your cousin and Legolas a wee bit better!” chorused Tanzy.

Rían rode a bit behind the Dwarf and Hobbits, quietly taking in his surroundings, as was his wont. At this point, so close to Edoras, he did not sense any danger. He looked up in the brilliant blue sky to see Tanzy’s Wind Dancer riding the winds high above them. He did not sense any warning of danger from him either.

Shaking himself from his thoughts, he looked at the others. “I am travelling to my home in Lothlorien for a long-awaited respite. As Helm’s Deep is on the way, I would be willing to go that way as well although, as I’m just a visitor with your group, the path you take is up to you.”

Oh, WE want to go to Lothlorien, too, Rían! Really we do!" Tanzy fairly shouted, loudly. Then she blushed and said, "Don't we?"

Janell looked around to see what was going on. She then realized that they were all heading to Helm’s Deep. She mounted her horse and thought that working with other people to restore the once and unbreakable fortress would be great to do. Other people needed help.

She looked at Siladan and said, “Are you ready for another journey?”

Siladan looked at Janell and the company and shrugged her shoulders. She would rather have stayed a bit longer in Edoras, but she knew she must stay with her companions, as who knows what would happen to them. She finally nodded and said, "Yes, I suppose it is time to move on."

After a few days travel and a few nights of companionable fireside chats, the small band of travellers reached the fortress of Helm's Deep. They stopped on the hill just above and gazed at the ruined battlements.

Janell looked across the field at the ruins of Helm’s Deep. She could not believe her eyes when she saw the state of this wonderful, unbreakable fortress. She realized that the people of Helm’s Deep needed all the help they could get. Janell felt sorry for what Saruman and the Orcs did to this place. The field was littered with the bodies of Orcs and the people of Rohan.

Re-building had already begun and the front of the fortress was latticed with scaffolding. Men and women were working at various jobs. "Looks like they could use our help," Gabby said and nudged his mount forward with the others falling in beside him.

The group had ridden hard and long. They had reached the Deeping Stream and galloped along its banks, Helm’s Dike before them, they surveyed the mighty Hornburg Fortress, towering above the Horn rock. Káin noted the work that had already begun on the Deeping Wall. He would be glad to be able to put his masonry skills to use.

The company of friends clattered up the Great Causeway, stopping at the huge doors. Káin turned to Siladan. “Would you like to hail the guards and see if we can enter? I’m sure that they would take more notice of a Ranger than a Dwarf, even with my illustrious cousin’s assistance at the Battle of Helm’s Deep.” The Dwarf bowed and smiled at Siladan.

Aye," said Siladan as she dismounted her horse. Walking towards the great doors she called out in the Rohirric tongue and two guards peered over the wall.

"Lyttlebeorn of Rohan seeks entry. I bring friends to assist in the rebuilding," she called up. Within a few moments the gates swung open, and a small group of men stood near by.

A soldier rushed up to Siladan, and, throwing his arms around her, lifted her feet from the ground and swung her round, then setting her back down. He clapped her shoulders and cried out, “Lyttlebeorn, long has it been since we last met! Come! We can use all the able bodies we can." He then turned to a soldier behind the gate and said, "Find Captain Hilderin at once! Tell him an old friend has come with aid for our work."

Bróâor lead the companions through the gates. The re-building work was progressing, but they had to make their way through much of the workmen's tools and equipment, along with huge blocks of stone being prepared to lift into place on the wall.

[Edited on 26/6/2005 by balrog]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2005 03:38
Elfstan pulled back on the reins of Aster, gazing in wonder at the huge gates of the Deeping Wall. He had heard tales of the horrific battle that had happened here, of the thousands upon thousands of orcs storming the wall, and of the unexpected help from the Ents unlooked for. Even knowing that, the truth of the destruction before him took his breath away.

“Such wanton destruction in the name of power,” he murmured to himself. “I don’t understand.”

Although on closer inspection, he could see that much work had begun and repairs were being made even as they entered the fortress. That cheered him and he gently nudged Aster to bring him up with the others ready to help in whatever way he could.

His gaze wandered upwards as they passed through the gates and into the keep. He looked around at all the people—men, women, and children—hard at work rebuilding the keep and their lives.

Elfstan’s attention was drawn away to a building away from the main gate. If he was not mistaken, that was the area that the sick and wounded were housed. He turned his pony’s head in the direction of the house and called over his shoulder to his companions that he would find them later. He kicked Aster a little harder this time to move him in the right direction.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 07:53
Káin nudged Murnin forward, nodding to the guards as the party entered through the gates. The outer courtyard was heaving with workers, great blocks of stone being manipulated into place.

Weaving his way through, Káin stopped a moment and one of the workmen for directions to the stables and was there somewhere to get a drink. The man nodded and pointed generally around the curved wall to the back of the Hornburg.

"Thanks," called Káin as he trotted off. Rounding the curve, his eyes lit on a square set figure deep in conversation with a tall fair-haired elf. The Dwarf smiled and he dismounted, moving swiftly forward, leading Murnin.

"Hold Gimli, Legolas!!" Káin shouted. Gimli raised his head and turned, laughter lighting his face. "You made it," the old warrior chuckled, hugging his cousin.

"Aye," Káin answered. He gestured over his shoulder with his head. "I see the work is proceeding well. I will be glad to offer my services and the rest of my companions are keen to add theirs."

He turned back and looked towards a building nestling under the Hornrock. There was noise of chatter and smells of food. "I'm hungry enough to eat a warg," guffawed Káin "and dry enough to drain the Anduin."

Gimli and Legolas shook their heads. "We were just about to partake of a meal and refreshment, join us. We can send a boy to tell the others where we are."

Káin nodded and pulled open the door. Gimli called over a young lad and gave him the message to find the companions of Káin, giving him a description.

That done, the three friends entered the barrack dining room. Ordering food and three mugs of ale, they sat down and ate, interspersed with conversation.

Káin kept his eye on the door for his companions.

[Edited on 24/6/2005 by Rosearialelven]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 06:23
Rían reined in Amras as the others went their respective ways. The black stallion pawed the cobblestones somewhat nervously at all the activity going on around them. “Easy now, my friend,” murmured Rían as he leaned down and stroked the horse’s powerful neck, “all is well. All is well.” Sitting back up on Amras, Rían looked around at the work going on all around him. Here was much destruction that was true, but he was impressed with the determination, and yes, even joy, of the people of Rohan as they went about rebuilding their stronghold.

Out of the corner of his eye, Rían caught a glimpse of Káin heading off in one direction, and Elfstan seemed to be heading in another. “We’re like leaves scattering in the wind,” thought Rían chuckling to himself.

The tall elf carefully guided the stallion through the maze of people scurrying here and there on the business of rebuilding the fortress. He was totally absorbed watching the stonemasons working the stone that would replace the shattered wall. “Káin will be in his element with this group,” thought Rían when he felt a small tug at his boot and looked down at the young boy who had been doing the pulling.

“Please, sir,” said the boy, “would you be Rían, companion of Káin?”

“Why, yes I am,” answered Rían. “Who asks?”

“I am sent by Gimli the dwarf to direct his cousin Káin’s companions as I find them to where he has food and drink for all. Will you come?”

“Of course I’ll come,” smiled Rían and followed the boy as he wove his way through the crowds. He stopped in front of one of the barracks, pointed out where Káin was, then scurried off to find the others of the group.

Rían pushed open the heavy door and stepped into the barrack’s dining hall. He heard Káin’s voice amid the laughter and singing. Looking across the room, he saw his companion sitting with Gimli and Legolas. Nodding to him, he made his way over to their table.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 02:17
Legolas stood and bowed to his fellow Elf. "Mae govannen, mellon," he said, "Eneth nîn Legolas. Govaded vaer le."

Káin smiled warmly at Legolas. "This is Rían, Legolas and Gimli. Rian, this is Gimli and Le.... ah, yes, he has just introduced himself," the Dwarf laughed.

"Please, sit down." Káin gestured to a seat and then the food, "Help yourself, laddie."

Resting his elbows on the table and tearing into a piece of bread, Káin looked back to the door. "Are the others coming?"

*Mae govannen, mellon (Well met, friend)
*Eneth nîn Legolas (My name is Legolas)
*Govaded vaer le (Pleasure meeting you)
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2005 07:51
Janell turned her horse toward the outer court after she entered the Great Gates. The gates were being repaired as the company she travelled with entered Helm's Deep.

After getting off her horse, Janell saw a boy come up to her and offered to feed and water it. She gave the reins to the boy and turned to look for someone to offer her services of help in restoring the once great stronghold of Rohan.

As she walked around the outer court, she saw a lot of people helping. Some were loading rocks into wheelbarrows, chipping other rocks to make blocks for the wall and some were shaving trees to repair the once great doors.

Janell turned to talk to someone when she felt someone tug on her pant leg. She turned to look into the eyes of a little boy.

"Are you Janell, one of the elves that came with a group?" he asked.

"Yes I am."

"I was told by Gimli that you are to meet him in the barracks. Follow me," he said.

Janell followed the little boy until they came up to one of the barracks. After the boy pointed to the door,the boy scurried off.

Janell entered the barracks and heard the roar of Gimli's voice. It seemed that Dwarves had the loudest voices when laughing. Janell walked straight to the laughter and met up with some of the company.

"Mae govannen, mellon," Janell said to Legolas. "Gimli."

They nodded a greeting. Janell sat down beside Kain and looked at the food that was in front of him.

Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2005 08:00
Rushing down the stairs from the Inner Court came a great hulk of a man. His long red hair flowing behind him, he was covered in the dust and dirt of a man at work. As he came he was speaking in a loud Rohirric voice. Many times he repeated the name, Lyttlebeorn.

"Hilderin," Síladan cried with joy as the huge man grabbed her up and repeated the greating she had received from Bróâor at the gate.

Setting her down he said, "Come, Come we shall find you quarters and food. The we may talk more at length. Erkenbrand will wish to meet with you." He called to a young boy to take her horse to the stables and to bring her things to the burg. Then he clasped his arm around her shoulders and lead her up the stairs.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2005 05:27
[Thanks to all of you for such a good time spent in the writing of this.]
Lostien_Vilya – Siladan
Rosearialelven – Káin
Bellemaine – Belle
Brandywine – Gabby Harfoot
Balrog - Janell
Shireling – Tanzywood Furfoot
Scots56 – Elfstan Fairbairn/Rían

Dodging bustling people from all directions, Elfstan wound his way to the make-shift infirmary. He slid down from Aster and tied him to a rail with other horses that were tethered next to the house.

Walking in from the bright sunshine, it took Elfstan a moment or two to adjust to the dim light inside the large room. There were cots lining either side of a long aisle down the middle of the room, with small iron braziers every few feet that had small pots simmering with fragrant herbs upon them. It was peaceful in here, compared to the hustle and bustle right outside the door.

“Elfstan!” The Hobbit turned to find Belle coming in the door behind him. “Let us find the Warden of this House, and see if he requires any assistance,” she said.

A short conference with that busy person gave the Healers to understand that certain herbs were in short supply. Belle went and got one of Arnaud’s field packs, and presented it to the grateful Warden.

Shortly after, however, Elfstan and Belle were off in search of one herb that was so plentiful that ordinarily it was not kept in storage.

“Imagine, no mint! That herb will grow anywhere!” said Belle to Elfstan, as they clambered over some fallen stones. “Once it’s got a hold, you can’t get rid of it. We should have found some in the nearest patch of dirt, or in a cranny in the walls straightaway. It disturbs me that it is not to hand. Great, indeed, is the damage done to this place, if mint no longer grows.” She stopped to rest. Looking at the Hobbit dazedly, she said, “When was the last time we ate?” Pause. “I think I need some food, and something to drink.”

Elfstan shook his head in amazement that he had forgotten all about food. Hobbits never forgot meals! “Let’s go find the others,” he said, hiding a smile.

A young lad scurried around the outer courtyard. He noticed a woman and a small person. Hurrying over to them, he tugged at the woman’s sleeve.

“ ‘Scuse me, are you looking for a Dwarf and some Elves?” Not waiting for an answer, he pointed in the direction of the barracks. “If you carry on ‘round there, you’ll find the Dining Hall. They are in there. Can’t stop, I think there are others to find!”

He bobbed and hurried off towards the gates leaving Belle and Elfstan to find their way to the Dining Hall and the company of their companions as they broke their fast.

Gabby and Tanzy had entered the fortress of Helm’s Deep with the rest of the company. Small as they were, the place seemed enormous to them.

“Let’s find a place to stable the horses, Tanzy, then we’ll see if we can find food,” Gabby stated. The two walked their horses off in the direction of what looked like a stable, their eyes constantly looking around to see the goings on in this vast place.

When they reached the stable, they were approached by a young lad a bit taller than themselves who asked if they were friends of Káin and Gimli, the Dwarves.

“We are,” Tanzy replied. “Do you have a message from them, for us?”

“I was told to find all the friends of those two men that I could and send them to the barracks for food and drink,” directed the boy, pointing.

Gabby’s eyes lit up at the mention of food, as did Tanzy’s, and both gladly walked in the direction the boy had indicated.

Janell sat down and filled her plate. She heard a commotion going on at the doors and turned to see what going on. She noticed that some of the company had entered. It was hard to believe that they were sitting down at a table again with food piled on it. Janell figured that the Hobbits would try to stuff biscuits in their pockets because they could eat all day if they wanted to!

Janell turned her eyes back towards the door and noticed that Gabby and Tanzy had arrived.

As Tanzy and Gabby entered the barracks, they spotted the others at a table, with full plates. They were glad to see them, AND the food, of course!

Tanzy was hoping to be able to sit by Legolas and Káin. She loved being in the presence of the famous Elf. Or pretty much any Elf for that matter! "Um, Káin? Is there room over there by you for a small Hobbit?" she queried.

Káin stood up as he heard Tanzy’s voice. “Come here, little Hobbit,” he said, patting the chair next to him.

Legolas turned at the sound of Tanzy’s voice and smiled warmly. “You are welcome to sit between my brother Elf and myself, pen dithen.”

Káin’s eyebrows rose into his hairline and he crossed his arms, sitting back in his chair. “Elves!” he muttered.

Tanzy grinned from ear to ear, sat gratefully by Legolas, and threw a mischievous grin towards Káin. "Thanks, Káin, for the invitation! Where's the food?"

Rían leaned forward and looked across Káin toward Tanzy and Gabby, who were just sitting down to eat. “Welcome, friends,” he said. “I’m glad to see that you’ve found the food after all!” His eyes twinkled, though his face was serious as he watched the two Hobbits tuck into their meals.

Elfstan and Belle entered the barracks and waved a greeting to those assembled. They took their places with the others. The Hobbit was certain, as he watched Belle, that the Green Istar was not really paying any attention to her food, drink, companions, or surroundings. He had the right of it, for suddenly the Green Istar said to him, “There has got to be some, somewhere! Maybe one of the workers here could help us search later.”

Elfstan, his mouth full, merely nodded. ‘Later’ would do fine for going after mint, he thought, as he proceeded to do justice the meal set before them.

Janell was listening to the conversation at the table when she heard the sound of more small feet walking up to the table. She turned around to see Elfstan and Belle enter and sit down. She was listening to Legolas and Gimli talk when she realized that Siladan had not come yet. She wondered what had happened.

~~~
Lyttlebeorn, or Siladan, as she was known to her traveling companions, entered the Great Hall of the Hornburg for the first time in many a year. She was disappointed to see the destruction that had occurred during the siege. Many people were all about making repairs.

Hilderin directed her to a table along the back wall, where tables were prepared with food. Sitting alone was the Erkenbrand, Lord of the Westfold, sipping a mug of ale. She moved quietly forward.

Erkenbrand turned as he heard soft footsteps and his eyes lit up as he saw a familiar figure. He stood up and strode towards Lyttlebeorn, as he knew her, and held out his hand in greeting. “Come, sit by the fire,” he said, leading her towards the settle.

"Erkenbrand, my dear friend! Long has it been since we last met! The years have been kind to you," Siladan said as she walked next to him.

Seating themselves, Erkenbrand poured a goblet of wine for Lyttlebeorn and handed it to her. “You are looking well, my dear! But you have not arrived alone, I believe.”

"Yes, I am with a small company of travelers. We are heading north towards the Shire, accompanying three Hobbits to their homes and we have a Dwarf, a couple of Elves and a -- ….” The Ranger hesitated momentarily, looking at Erkenbrand, then continued, “Healer with us," she said, wondering if it was wise to enlighten him as to who or what Belle really was.

Erkenbrand drained his goblet. “A Healer, you say, and a Dwarf, Hobbits and Elves. An interesting mixture!” He poured himself another drink, and lifted the wineskin, offering Lyttlebeorn some more wine.

“We have need of Healers, and we will be glad of a Dwarf’s assistance,” said the Lord of the Westfold. “I should perhaps go and greet your friends, or ask them to visit me here in the Hold.”

“Yes, they would most likely be willing to assist your people in anyway they can,” said Siladan. “We also have a young Hobbit herbalist in our group. I know they would all enjoy seeing the magnificent hall." She took a sip of her wine.

“And what are your plans, while you are here? I feel sure you will want to re-acquaint yourself with your many old friends,” responded Erkenbrand. He gestured to the main door, where Hilderin stood talking to the guards. “Please feel free to go your own way. In these times, I do not expect people to stand on ceremony.”

"Thank you, my lord. It is an honor to have your leave for me and my people to stay a time assisting here. I would indeed like the opportunity to visit with my old friends," she said as she stood to go. "Erkenbrand, may we meet again before we leave Helm's Deep.”

Erkenbrand stood and bowed. “We most certainly will meet again, my friend. In fact,” he said, rubbing his chin, “I have a notion that you and all of your companions should dine with me. Enjoy your reunion and I will confirm the invitations for tomorrow evening.” With that said, Erkenbrand shook Lyttlebeorn’s hand warmly and bid her farewell.

[Edited on 8/7/2005 by scots56]
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2005 09:02
Thanks to all for a wonderful RP!

Erkenbrand returned to his seat. “Ceorl,” he called. Erkenbrand’s personal messenger came out of his study. “Yes, my Lord?”

“There is, I believe, a group of travelers in the Hornburg. I have been told that they are gathered at the Barracks Kitchen. Deliver a message to them, if you will. Tell them that Erkenbrand would be delighted to have their company at dinner, tomorrow.”

Ceorl bowed and left the Hall. Scurrying down the steps, he left the inner court and made his way down to the outer court, skirted the walls and headed towards the Barracks.

He pushed open the heavy doors and scanning the interior, his eye landed on a small group. ‘That must be them,’ he thought.

“Beggin’ your pardon, good sirs … oh and milady,” Ceorl said, bowing. “I ‘ave a message for you all. My Lord, Erkenbrand of the Westfold, requests your company at a dinner, tomorrow afternoon. I am to take your answers back wi’ me.”

"Dinner? Did he say dinner?" sputtered Tanzy while finishing a mouthful. "Well, I don't know who he is, but if he is willing to share dinner, it sounds good to me! Right, guys?"

Janell looked at the man that had approached them. When he mentioned that Erkenbrand wanted them as guests for dinner, she held back her answer. She looked around at the table to see what everyone else had to say.

Janell had heard of Erkenbrand in her younger days. He was a great Warrior of Rohan. She thought that King Théoden had a great man in his Rohirrim.

Gabby nodded as eagerly at the thought of a dinner invitation, as Tanzy appeared to be. He liked the food he was eating at present, and noticed that these people seemed to serve it in rather large portions. He was more reserved than Tanzy in his answer though, waiting for Belle and some of the others to join in or decline. He had no idea who Erkenbrand was but his name sounded forbidding, and if he had servants to do his bidding, he must be a man of importance.

The Green Istar looked at Ceorl thoughtfully. Withdrawing her small store of pipeweed from a tunic pocket, she told the man, “Tell Lord Erkenbrand that Bellemaine sends compliments.”

Ceorl nodded and bowed, accepting the small leather pouch. ‘My, but this lad is young to be smoking,’ he thought, ‘and why are his eyes twinkling so?’

Belle regarded the servant closely. If Erkenbrand were personally acquainted with Gandalf, as the White Wizard had told her that he was, then the Lord should recognize Gandalf’s seal embossed on the pipeweed pouch. ‘If he does not,’ Bellemaine thought ruefully, ‘I have cast away precious Longbottom Leaf to no effect, and no mint shall I obtain!’ She only said aloud, however, “I will gladly accept Lord Erkenbrand’s gracious invitation.”

Elfstan looked at Belle sitting next to him at the table. He had a hard time believing that Belle was giving up some of her precious pipeweed to this Erkenbrand fellow. Then looking at the servant sent by Erkenbrand, Elfstan also spoke up, “I would be pleased to come to dinner. Please tell your master that Elfstan the Hobbit will be honored to attend.”

Rían chuckled when he heard Elfstan’s response to the dinner invitation. The young Hobbit could put on such airs at times even for one as young as he. Rían’s gaze turned to the servant’s inquiring glance. He nodded his head slightly to show his acceptance of the offer.

The servant looked a little taken aback at the dark Elf’s almost arrogant air regarding the invitation. Didn’t the Elf know who had tendered the invitation? Well, he would shortly, that’s for sure!

After hearing Elfstan with her answer, Janell piped up and said, “I will also come to dinner.”

Káin nodded his acceptance, his moustaches drenched in the ale he had been drinking. He wiped away the drips with the back of his hand.

“And are we invited too, laddie?” questioned Gimli, his knuckles resting on the table. Legolas nodded in agreement with his friend’s query.

“I would imagine so, Gimli,” answered Ceorl. “For goodness sake, Lord Erkenbrand is hardly likely to not invite you two!”

Ceorl smiled. “So, I can inform his Lordship that you will all be attending. Good! I hope you enjoy the rest of your day and I am sure you will find things to do on the morrow. Oh, by the way, dinner is set for late afternoon.” Ceorl turned and hurried out of the Barrack Kitchen and made his way back to the Great Hall.

“They have all accepted, my Lord, including Gimli and Legolas,” Ceorl said, grinning.

“Indeed,” guffawed Erkenbrand. “I am cheered to hear the travelers will join me. And Gimli and Legolas are always welcome.”

Ceorl cleared his throat and moved forward, handing Erkenbrand the pouch that had been given to him.

“A young gentleman who called himself Bellemaine gave me this, for you, sir,” he said. “Some pipeweed I believe.”

“Thank you, Ceorl.” Erkenbrand took the pouch and studied it before he opened it. He eyes widened as he saw the seal. “Well, well, old friend,” he muttered to himself.

“You can go now, Ceorl.”

The messenger bowed and walked off back to his study.

Erkenbrand sniffed at the pouch and smiled. “Longbottom Leaf, if I am not mistaken!! Thank you, Gandalf, my friend.”

Opening the pouch, Erkenbrand filled his pipe, lit it from the fire and leaned back in his chair. He puffed contentedly, blowing smoke rings into the air. “So,” he said out loud, turning the pouch in his hand “I wonder who this young man is, who is privy to having a pouch of tobacco with the White Wizard’s seal. Hmmmm!! I shall be interested to meet him.”

A Talk with Friends:

‘Tanzy…Tanzywood Furfoot! Tanzywood, come take me home. Your father needs us both, now.’
“Arf! Arf! Arf! Arf!”

“Doggers? Doggers!” shouted Tanzy as she woke from her nights sleep and leapt from her bed. She nearly threw herself out of the window straining to see the sound that had awoken her. “Doggers, I hear you! Mom?”
No. No Doggers. No mom. A single tear rolled down Tanzy’s face as she gazed at the woman with her two young boys playing with their puppy on the street below. For a moment Tanzy’s heart was filled with emptiness and longing. She only heard that voice in her dreams. She hadn’t seen her mother since she was three when she disappeared in the Old Forest, back home. “I know she is still alive,” whispered Tanzy to no one in particular. “I know it, and I must find her before I get back to the Shire. I can’t go home without her!”
Suddenly, another sound pierced her thoughts and her heart, “Creeeee! We’ll find her Tanzy; don’t despair. Our quests are one and the same. Screeee!” called the hawk as he flew past her window and circled high in the early morning sky.
Tanzy felt the slightest touch of his wingtip on her wet cheek as he flew gracefully by. “Wind Dancer! Oh, Wind Dancer, you and Sean and I need to talk!” exclaimed the little halfling as she wiped away the rest of her tear and smiled in sturdy hobbit determination.

She hurried out of her warm sleeping gown, and struggled to dress so quickly, she put her blouse on inside out, and her vest on upside down. “Oh pickle freckles!” she shouted in frustration as she stamped her furry feet. Finally, in proper order she straightened up the room—sort of—and ran down the stairs past the food pantry. She had to run under a tall soldier’s legs and hop over the last bit of railing to avoid collisions of catastrophic proportions, begging her pardon at the befuddled folk she encountered on the way.
“What in middle earth was that?” shouted the soldier.
“Watch out for the fruit basket!” screamed a heavily ladened man she had to dodge at the bottom of the stairs. “Slow down, girl! Or, or whatever you are!”
“Sorry! Sorry! I’m a hobbit. Good day to you, sirs!” she imparted with a wave of her hand and an impish smile on her mischievous face.
She was a hobbit on a mission, and in such a hurry to talk with her two “best” friends she ALMOST flew by the food without thinking of breakfast! But fortunately the delicious smells tantalized her keen hobbit senses, and she slowed down enough to grab two warm, buttery biscuits and a piece of honey comb as she tossed a generous coin to one of the gentleman in charge of preparing the day’s meals.
“Bless my soul, that’s a strange little creature!’ mumbled the man as he shook his head and rolled his eyes. “Hobbit, did she say? More like a cross between a rabbit and a hungry little bear!”

The sun was warm in the sky as Tanzy licked the last vestiges of honey and butter from her fingers. She was happily walking with Sean outside the walls of Helms’ Deep, discussing her current dilemmas and concerns. Wind Dancer soared low above the two, throwing in his two cents worth as they meandered along.
“You’re right Wind Dancer! I’ve lost my sense of purpose,” chattered Tanzy. Sean whinnied and nickered his thoughts as well.
“Yes, that too, Sean,” she nodded. “I came out here to help these good people clean up after the war, and since we’ve been in this company of travelers, I’ve gotten lazy! So I can’t be a healer, and I have no special skills, like quarrying stones or whatever. There has still got to be work a humble hobbit can do to help! Wash clothes, run errands, clean chamber pots…. Something!”
The hawk gave another admonition as Sean snickered about the chamber pots.
“Funny, Sean! I don’t see you mucking out your own stall!
“Okay, my feathered friend, I get the hint. Stop gawking at Rian and Legolas. And Gimli and Kain for that matter too. I can’t help that, Wind Dancer. You know how much I admire and love the elves! They’re so intriguing and, special, and, well elvish! Besides, if my mom is anywhere in safekeeping, you know it’s got to be with elves! And Legolas and Gimli, for heaven’s sake are part of THE fellowship! What an honor to be in their presence! I’ll always have a soft spot for Kain as well. He makes me laugh, and gives me courage! And I just like him!”
“Screee!” called Wind Dancer.
“You’re right again, nodded Tanzy as she smiled up at the beautiful hawk and guardian. Too much introspection and moping is useless! Time to get to busy! Thanks for the conversation best of all friends! I’m going to find some work!”
Wind Dancer sailed over Helm’s Deep with a watchful eye, Sean trotted back to his stall independently, and Tanzywood Furfoot scurried off to help some maidens struggling with laundry baskets nearby.

~ ~ ~ ~

Sitting astride Sean with the hawk on her left shoulder, Tanzy lumbered along an open path outside the walls once more. “Work” had not gone so well. First it was the laundry fiasco. Oh, the maidens were more than friendly and kind to their would-be helper, but even they gave up in exasperation the second time she rolled down the dusty hill with the basket full of clean laundry. Those baskets were just a little too big for a hobbit-sized lass. And even though Tanzy did an excellent job rewashing the laundry she had accidentally sullied, they just weren’t making enough progress.
“Gwyndomear,” whispered Eolyn to her friend, “we’ve got to get rid of this charming helper or we will still be doing laundry at midnight!”
“I know, but we don’t want to hurt her feelings. She obviously feels bad enough as it is,” answered Eolyn.
“Poor dear,” mumbled Gwyndomear under her breath. “I know! Let’s take her to the scullery. She can help with the dishes.”
“Good idea!” replied the other maiden. “And for heaven’s sake, don’t let her try to carry that basket again!”

So it was off to the eatery the hobbit went with her hopes still high for being of good use. Alas, it was not to be. She did great working in the hot water, and could even reach in and clean some things better due to her smaller hands. The job was very nearly accomplished. She was carrying her last stack of pottery to the cupboards. It was a rather tall stack, and she did not see the pot on the floor to her right. Suddenly, her furry foot stepped into the “trap” and Tanzy tottered and teetered, and crashed head long into her goal breaking all twelve of the beautiful hand-painted plates. The noise was deafening! Not as loud as the head cooks mournful wail, but close. Tanzy was absolutely mortified! She apologized profusely in a small quiet voice, then ran to her room to get more coins to pay for the damage.
By now news of her “assistance” was getting around. Thus when she offered to carry full chamber pots back down the stairs with her recompense, there was a loud and horrified cry of “No! Please don’t,” from the pot carrier as well as the crowd of people below. People began to scream and duck as she reached out to help.
Just in time she heard a loud “Screee,” from out a window, which she knew was Wind Dancer’s cry of “Stop!” She stopped, thankfully, at which point the pantry clerk, with much gratitude for her willingness to help, hustled her to a table and began plying her with every midday delicacy he could find. He would feed her anything to keep her too busy to “work”.

Tanzy had eaten till she could eat no more (no small job for a hobbit). Finally she had humbly taken her leave (followed by audible sighs of relief from all who had met her) and wandered out to see her two best friends again. Thus the threesome roamed up the trail commiserating over the day’s events. “Hmmm,” said the Shireling, “There’s got to be someway to be useful. I wonder what the others are up to? You think they need some help?” Sean stumbled and shook his mane. The hawk flew back into the sky to find the others, (and warn them if possible). Tanzy turned her pony around and headed back to the wall with grave determination…

Gabyy's Helping Hands

Gabby had enjoyed dinner in the barracks the night before with the people of Helm’s Deep, his friends, Gimli and Legolas and was now looking forward to doing what the group had talked about, namely helping the people of Helm’s Deep.

Of course, as small as he was, he doubted that he’d be much use as a builder, and besides he didn’t know how to do that sort of thing really, being a farmer. So he had determined that he would scour the place until he found something that looked like farming and food storage and the like and offer his services there.

Walking along the streets of Helm’s Deep was no mean feat. These people were not used to seeing child-sized adults running around and he had to keep sidestepping those less cautious or observant. Eventually he made his way around the back of the Barracks and found the rear entrance, leading onto the area behind the Hornrock and the Hornburg. From there he could see the Deeping Wall and an entrance to what appeared to be caves. The arched doorway gave the appearance of being the door to a room that held foodstuffs with other doorways off of it. Several people were coming and going carrying sacks into and out of what looked very much like a root cellar above ground.

A man at the doorway surveyed the hobbit with great interest. Then recovering himself inquired what it was that Gabby wanted.
“My name is Gabby Harfoot and I am here with a group of travelers on our way home from Minis Tirith,” Gabby claimed. Before the man could get a word in edgewise Gabby piped up again, “We had determined to offer our help to your people in whatever capacity we could. I am a farmer in the Shire and I figured you could best put me to work having something to do with food or animals as I am experienced with both.”

“Well,” the man nodded smilingly, “we can use all the help we can get. We are currently sorting through the supplies we have left and those that were brought in with little time to be put away. We could use help sorting them into the proper rooms and counting the sacks of different items.”
Gabby smiled at the man. He had expected to be shunted off as too small and was pleased to see that the people of Rohan were as dignified and kind as their king had been said to be.

“My name is Harad, master hobbit and I will show you what to do if you will follow me,” the man said.

Gabby spent the rest of the morning helping out in the caves. He quite liked the people but was careful to make noise around anyone with parcels in their arms too large to see below their own waist as he had no wish to be stepped on. They group of people working on this task accomplished quite a lot that morning. At lunch time several people had offered Gabby some of the food they’d brought. Gabby tried very hard not to be too greedy about the food. Everyone pressed him to tell them about the Shire. Many of them had never seen a hobbit before and were eager to learn more.

Later, as Gabby prepared for the dinner with Erkenbrand he recalled the days events with some bemusement. He thought about the way that this whole war had brought people together who had never before even bothered about each other. It was a good feeling. He had enjoyed helping these people and they had seemed to like his company as well.

He had asked them about Erkenbrand too and they had promptly pointed out the Lord of the Westfold to the hobbit and then introduced him. Erkenbrand then invited Gabby to accompany himself and some of Gabby’s own companions on a search for mint.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next morning, Erkenbrand busied himself giving orders for the dinner. He hoped that his guests would find something to do during the day.

At dinner, the Green Istar sat to Erkenbrand's left. Every once in awhile, Erkenbrand’s eyes would stray to the Wizard, but Belle only calmly returned his glance, if she noticed it at all. A few tendrils of her honey-blond hair had escaped their clasp, softening her face. Erkenbrand raised his glass in Belle’s direction. She raised her in response, and inclined her head.

At that action, Gabby, Tanzy, and Elfstan began to giggle audibly. Káin harrumphed and hid a smile behind his hand, but his eyes were twinkling. Rían looked at Káin and smiled. The morning had been quite pleasant, he reflected.

Janell determined to act as if she knew none of them; the Company was being silly!

Erkenbrand smiled. "And what did everyone do today?"

“Oh, we looked into the stores of food here, Lord Erkenrband and I,” said Gabby innocently.

“And obtained some herbs for the local Warden,” said Elfstan. “Some things were in short supply.”

“The Warden has plenty of mint now,” said Tanzy. “Lord Erkenbrand showed us where to find some!” she continued, barely able to contain her merriment. She had finally found something useful and not too detrimental, to do with her friends.

“All seems to be well,” said the Green Istar mildly, looking at Janell.

“Indeed,” said the Lord of the Westfold. He rose to his feet and raised his glass. “To the health of all assembled, and to friendships!” He moved closer to Belle, whose eyebrows were raised but who did not look displeased.

Janell rolled her eyes.

Erkenbrand grinned and held out his glass. “Bellemaine, pass the wine now; that’s a good lad!”

Janell, Káin, Tanzy, Gabby, and Rían couldn’t help it. They dissolved into gales of laughter as Belle poured Erkenbrand another glass of wine, and handed it to him with an enigmatic smile.

As the meal ended, and Janell, the Hobbits, the Elf, and the Dwarf took leave of their host.

Erkenbrand watched as the others departed. When only themselves remained, he turned to Belle with a thoughtful expression. “I would speak with you of your journey. Are you confident you will be safe, with just your small group?"

“Aye,” replied Belle, “we will be fine. But some Long Bottom Leaf to accompany us would be much appreciated!”

Erkenbrand roared with laughter. “Truly Gandalf has taught you well! Come, then, Madam Istar! Sit with me by the fire for a while. I would hear about my old friend, Gandalf.”

Soon, smoke from two pipes hung overhead, as two low voices conversed. Erkenbrand at last sat back in his chair.

A pleasant evening was spent talking about this and that. Bellemaine tapped out her pipe into the fire and stretched. “I will take my leave of you. I must compliment you on your fare and the excellent pipeweed," she said, raising her pipe, then tucking it away inside her jerkin. We shall depart Helm’s Deep in a day’s time.”

[Edited on 18/9/2005 by Rosearialelven]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2005 05:30
Janell had enjoyed the dinner with the people of Helm’s Deep. It was nice to sit and enjoy the stories of other people’s lives. After dinner, Janell went looking for someone who she could help in fixing Helm’s Deep. As she walked around the outer court, she saw a lot of people working. Some were loading rocks into wheelbarrows, others were chipping away the rocks to make blocks for the wall and some were shaving trees to repair the once great doors.

Janell went over to the men who were shaping rocks into blocks.

“Who’s in charge here?” Janell asked

“That man over there,” they said.

Janell went over to the man they pointed at and asked if they needed help in squaring off the rocks. She noticed that this was no ordinary man. He had muscles that bulged everywhere. He would have to have muscles like that to work with rocks, Janell thought.

“Yes,” he said. He knew that someone was standing behind him. He turned around and realized it was a female. “What can I do for you? If you’re here to work you can find work in the infirmary.” He noticed that she had no muscle tone of any kind.

"I'm not here to help with the sick. Don’t question my ability. I can do a lot of lifting. I’m stronger than you think,” she said.

The foreman was shocked with the response he was given.

"I'm sorry. I mistook you for some weakling," apologized the foreman.

With that said the foreman showed Janell to a place where she could sit and shape the rocks into blocks. She noticed a man next to her and introduced herself.

He said his name was Felfin. He was a stone cutter for the walls. Felfin taught Janell to proper way of cutting the stones. It was hard work but Janell liked hard work.

After a half day, Janell showed no tiredness. She looked at Felfin and noticed his arms getting tired.

“Why don’t you take a rest with me and recover our strength? We can’t do the work if we get tired,” Janell asked.

Felfin nodded and agreed. They walked over to the great doors and down the ramp. Janell saw a grave off to the distance and walked towards it. Janell and Felfin sat down on the ground and shared water from a water bladder that Janell brought with her.

Janell noticed that the grave was of a man of great importance. She went over and read the name: Hama, Captain. She realized he was a Captain of Théoden’s guards. Janell had heard stories of Hama in Minis Tirith. She silently said a prayer in Elvish and returned to Felfin.

They rested a bit longer and returned to work.

After a long day, Janell returned to the barracks and washed herself in private. She had to get rid of the dust that covered her from head to toe. She curled up into her bedroll and slept like she had never slept before.

The next morning she went off to find the rest of the group she came with to have breakfast.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2005 04:23
An Early Morning Walk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elfstan awoke to the sun warming his face as he lay curled up in his bed. It took him a moment or two to get his bearings and remember where he was. He had slept in so many beds and had so many adventures in the past few months that he was having trouble remembering just where he was from time to time.

He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand and slowly sat up looking about him. Everyone else seemed to be asleep still. It was still very early from the sounds that came from about him. There was none of the bustle that accompanied a waking camp.

Quietly, even by Hobbit standards, Elfstan pushed the covers from him, rose from his bed, and tip-toed out into the new day. He loved this time of day. So quiet. So peaceful. He was an early riser by nature and relished these quiet times alone.

Stretching and scratching as he went, Elfstan padded softly to the small stream that ran close by where they had spent the night to wash his curly head and wipe the sleep from his eyes.

“Good morning, Elfstan,” said a low voice from behind him as he washed his neck. Elfstan turned to see Rían making his way toward him. “My, you are out and about early this fine day my young Hobbit.”

“I do enjoy a quiet early morning that’s for sure,” smiled Elfstan as he dried himself. “Things are so noisy and busy the rest of the day that I like to see the Keep when it’s not full of activity. It is really quite the site for a Hobbit of the Shire. You are up early today also. What brings you out before the birds?”

“I have been up for awhile,” admitted Rían. “Amras has needed a good stretch of the legs and I needed some solitude as well, so we went for a ride along the Deeping Stream to revive our spirits. I am just returning from the stables.”

“I was going to go for a bit of a walk to work up an appetite for breakfast,” said Elfstan. “Would you like to come with me? I would enjoy your company.”

Rían nodded his assent, teasing Elfstan a bit about needing to “work up an appetite for breakfast”. The two of them made their way out of the gates of Helm’s Deep. The guards at the gates nodded, recognizing them as part of the travelers staying there.

The two companions made their way down the stream bed for about mile, not speaking but enjoying each other’s company and the new morning. Finding a quiet pool for Elfstan to paddle his toes in, they sat in companionable silence for a long while.

Finally Elfstan looked up at the dark-haired elf and asked him what he had been eager to ask for quite a few days. “Rían, how long are you going to be traveling with us? You know that we are heading to the Shire. Are you going to be coming there with us?”

Rían was quiet for so long that Elfstan thought that maybe he had either not heard his inquiry or was choosing to ignore it. Rían then spoke in a low tone. “No, Elfstan, I will not be traveling with you to the Shire although I would be happy to go with you. No, I must travel to Lothlorien as soon as may be. I have been gone long and much desire to see my family again. You see,” and with this, Rían turned to face Elfstan, “I have been gone from those fair woods for close to eighty years. It has been a sore trial for me…to be gone so long from such a fair place and those that I love, but Lord Aragorn had need of me and I answered his call. Now that he is in his rightful place, it is time for me to be in mine.”

“Oh,” said Elfstan in a small voice. “I was hoping I would be able to show you my farm and have you meet my family.”

“There may be a time that I can meet your family, Elfstan, but alas, I must be away to my own home.

“You may not know it, but I have been in the Shire on more than one occasion. It was long ago, but I remember it well. I was one of the patrols that guarded the borders of the Shire at the request of the Dúnedain.”

Rían saw the downcast look upon Elfstan’s face and his heart relented just a bit. “There may come a day that I may visit the Shire again, my young friend. Rest be assured that when that day comes, I will be at your door.”

Elfstan smiled at the thought of this noble elf at his parents rather rustic Hobbit hole. “It’s a promise then?” he inquired.

“A promise,” Rían agreed. “Now, I think that we must be going back to the Keep. I’m sure the others are waking by now, and if I’m not mistaken, our company will soon be leaving the Hornburg.” The two then made their way back to the gates of the Keep as the city was waking and stretching as it prepared for another day.
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 05:12
Erkenbrand watched as Bellemaine left the Hall and he smiled. It had been an enjoyable time with his guests and he had been pleased to hear that Gandalf was well.

A momentary frown crossed his brow. His one concern was Saruman. Reports had come in that the Wizard of Isengard was missing!! He had not mentioned the information to his dinner guests and wondered if he should have but had not wished to worry them unduly. Probably the Master of Isengard was long gone and of no consequence now that his power had been removed.

“Ceorl,” he called as he sat in his chair by the fire. His messenger hurried from his study. “Yes, my Lord,” he said, bowing, his quill pen behind his ear, several scrolls of paper under his arm.

“The group of travellers will be leaving soon. I want to make sure they have provisions and water.”

Ceorl nodded and turned to leave. Erkenbrand raised his finger. “Oh, and make sure that there is a good supply of best baccy. I know it may not be Longbottom Leaf, but I am sure they will accept my gift.”

Ceorl bowed and hurried back to his study to put quill to parchment and produce a list of goods. Some time later he was heading out of the Hall and trotting towards the stores. He waved to a young lad who was leaning against a nearby wall. “I want you to find each of the travellers that have been here.” The young lad looked confused. “Travellers?”

Ceorl rolled his eyes. “Yes, t-r-a-v-e-l-l-e-r-s,” he spelled out. “You have spoken to them before, remember. Two Hobbits, a Ranger, a Dwarf, and Elf and an Ist….a slim looking fellow,” he corrected himself.

“Ohhh!” the lad said, “those travellers. And when I have found them?” he asked leaning away from the wall.

“Tell them that when they meet at the gate on their departure, there will be provisions and special package, courtesy of Lord Erkenbrand,” explained Ceorl.

“I will,” answered the young lad and hurried off to pass on the message.

Káin, Gimli and Legolas took their leave of their friends and arm in arm wandered down to the Barracks.

“That was a good meal,” Gimli grinned, patting his stomach and belching, Káin belched in unison and the two Dwarves laughed and nudged Legolas. The Elf shook his head and raised his eyebrow.

“Yes, very enjoyable,” he rejoined. They pushed open the doors and entered into the warm atmosphere, a cacophony of voices assailing their ears, the smell of ale filling their nostrils.

“A final nightcap, methinks,” Káin said, pushing his way through the tables and heading for the counter.

“Ye’ll get no argument from me, laddie,” chuckled Gimli.

The three friends sat at a table and were soon talking about past endeavours, Káin finally sitting back enjoying the rivalry between his cousin and Legolas. Would they ever agree on the body count, he grinned inwardly.

On the table behind them, several Rohirrim were talking. Legolas put his finger to his lips and gestured towards the table. “Don’t make it obvious, but their conversation is very interesting,” he said, leaning towards Gimli. The old Dwarf turned his head slightly to view the riders.

“Looks like a returning patrol,” he said behind his hand. Legolas nodded. “From what I can hear….a returning patrol from Isengard.” Legolas leaned closer into his companions. “It seems that Saruman has disappeared completely, and that worm, Grima.”

Káin turned his head back. “That warmonger missing can only mean trouble, even without his powers,” he hissed. “We shall have to be careful on our journey, it seems. We will have to inform the rest of my companions. When we leave will be soon enough. No need to cause concern, just yet!”

Káin woke the next morning, his head throbbing a little and he rose carefully, holding his temples. “Oooh, Rohan ale is potent,” he muttered to himself as he splashed cold water on his face. He dressed, picked up his axe and wrapped his cloak around his shoulders. A final look round his room, he closed the door and headed out into the outer courtyard.

“Sir!!,” a voice called after him. Káin halted and turned to see the young lad who had spoken to him on the day of his arrival at the Hornburg. “Aye, laddie,” he answered.

“I have a message from Ceorl,” the lad said a little breathlessly. “He says that when you and your companions meet at the Causeway to take your leave, there will be provisions and a special package waiting for you.”

“That is most kind of Lord Erkenbrand. I hope he will be there to see us off.”

The lad shrugged. “Not sure, sir,” he said. “That was just the message I was asked to give. I have to find the rest of your company and inform them.” With a wave of his hand, the lad hurried off.

Káin stood for a moment and then continued to the stables to prepare Murnin for their journey.

[Edited on 18/9/2005 by Rosearialelven]
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 01:19
Thanks to all for a great RP.

Departures and Forebodings

Káin mounted his pony and trotted to the gates, which were open, allowing a view of the great Causeway, sweeping down onto the grassed lands of the Westfold. Legolas and Gimli were already there, waiting. “Good to see you, Cousin,” called Káin, raising his hand in greeting. “No sign of my companions yet.” He dismounted and looked back.

“No, laddie, not yet” replied Gimli, resting his arm along Káin’s shoulder. “We thought we would come and see you off, and I think we need to tell your friends about Saruman.”

Káin nodded, a serious look on his face. “Aye, Isengard was to be one of the places we would visit on our journey home, but with Saruman gone, we will move on. There may be need of us elsewhere, and I know the Hobbits have more than a yearning to visit Fangorn, and to get home to the Shire.”

Returning from their early-morning walk, Rían bowed Elfstan into the gates of the Hornburg before him. The young Hobbit grinned and returned the bow with one of his own, and swept into the gates. The two companions made their way to the barracks to gather their gear in preparation for their departure.

On their way to the barracks, a young boy stopped them. “Sirs,” he said, “I am sent to you with a message. You are to meet your traveling companions at the gates of the Hornburg. There you will find your other companions and provisions for your journey. Please make haste.” And with that, the lad set off to find the others of the party to deliver the message to them also.

“Well,” said Rían, “it looks as if we made it back just in time. Our journey is about to begin again. Let’s make haste, as the lad has instructed.”

Elfstan and Rían then made their way to the barracks to pick up their belongings, then to the stables to collect Aster and Amras. As they got within sight of the gates, they saw Káin just arriving. They waved in greeting and went to meet him.

~ ~ ~
Janell got up the next morning. She thought that the dinner was excellent. It was nice to just sit and enjoy the company after breaking rocks all day.

The Ranger stretched and got dressed. Just then, she heard a ruckus outside. She went to the window and looked out. Two shopkeepers were arguing over something trivial. It was nice to hear that Middle Earth was getting back to normal. With all this fighting, it was nice to see someone argue. She grinned.

Janell finished dressing and grabbed her gear. She knew that they were leaving this morning, but didn’t know where to start. She would find someone who knew where the rest of the company was when she got outside.

As she exited the barracks, a little boy came up to her. “Are you one of the company that’s leaving today?”

“Yes,” the Ranger replied. “Do you know where the rest of them are?”

“Yes. They are at the gates waiting for the rest of you,” the lad said.

“Thank you. This is for you.” Janell handed him a couple of biscuits. “They will be good for you.”

“Thanks,” he said, as he started munching on one at once.

Janell started towards the stables to get her horse ready. She got on her mount and rode to the gates.

“Morning,” Janell said. “Are we ready for the trip?” She looked around at the rest of company assembled so far. Gabby and Tanzy had not yet arrived, and where was the Istar?

Belle brooded as she prepared Gintel for the day’s journey. She had an irksome feeling about something, but could not quite put her finger on it. A feeling in the air. She frowned a little deeper and tightened Gintel’s cinch. Gintel snorted and looked around at her mistress. Belle grinned and patted the mare’s neck. “Sorry, old girl. Forgive me?” Gintel tossed her head in answer.

A voice jostled the Istar out of her thoughts. “Sir Bellemaine!”

The Green Wizard looked down at the lad who had summoned the company to dinner with Erkenbrand the night before. She smiled kindly at the boy. “Aye?”

“I have a message from Ceorl,” the lad said. “Ceorl says that when you and your companions meet at the Causeway to take your leave, there will be provisions and a special package waiting for you, courtesy of Lord Erkenbrand.” He looked at the Istar conspiratorially.

“Well, then, I’d best be off to meet them, don’t you think?”

“Aye!” the boy replied, pleased to be consulted about any matter at all. “I would make haste!” He went off whistling to himself.

Belle mounted Gintel and headed for the Causeway. "Maybe it will be pipeweed," she thought to herself, cheerily.

~ ~ ~

Gabby had been awake for a few hours and had been puttering about his small area in the barracks, when the lad he had met before came rushing up to him.

"Ummm," the boy started. He didn't seem to quite know how to address an adult that was his own height.

Gabby took pity on the lad and gave an encouraging smile. When the boy had delivered the message that Gabby was supposed to meet the other travelers at the gate, and turned to leave, Gabby beckoned him back.

"Have you told Mistress Tanzy yet, lad?" The boy's face was clearly puzzled, then cleared. “Oh the little lady Hobbit, you mean?" he queried.

"Yes, that's who I mean. Does she know?"

"Yes sir. I woke her as well, and she was all in a dither about it, but said she would be there." The lad sounded as though waking up lady Hobbits was part and parcel of every day. The Hobbit wondered just how the boy had awakened Tanzy, but did not ask. Doubtless Tanzy would tell him at first opportunity!

Gabby proceeded to collect his things and left to saddle Charger and the other horse so as to prepare them for the journey as well. When all was done, he led them up to the gates where he saw his friends waiting. He hoped he hadn't kept them too long.

~~~
Tanzy sat on the edge of her bed as the lad left through the door. She was prepared to leave, but couldn't think what to do first. Pondering for a few moments, she looked out her window and noticed Wind Dancer hovering on the thermals nearby. She whistled to him and he landed on the ledge. "Looks like we are leaving, my friend, and with a gift from Lord Erkenbrand as well, according to that young boy," she said to her faithful friend. “I'd better get my gear and get to my pony!”

Tanzy left the room with her things carefully stowed and met Wind Dancer outside the door. As she headed for the stables, she saw Gabby leaving, but he was too far away for her to shout. She rushed as fast as her legs could carry her so as to get her mount and catch up with the others.

After several minutes spent readying the pony, Tanzy finally made her way to the gates of the Hornburg, where her friends were gathered waiting for her.

~~~
Káin was pleased to see his friends. “Are we all ready?” he asked. “As you all know, Lord Erkenbrand has given us provisions and a special package.”

He turned and hugged Gimli and Legolas. “I will miss you both.”

Gimli harrumphed and hugged Káin a little uncomfortably, not prepared for such an act of affection, then looked at the group. “Both Legolas and I wish you well on your journey home. Have you decided where you are going to visit next?”

Legolas moved forward. “Before you decide, I think you should all know. Saruman is no longer at Isengard, which may be good news or bad. It means he is at large again, with that worm Grima. So be careful, my friends.” He looked at Rían. “Will you be traveling long with these good people?”

Rían looked at Legolas and then at Gimli who confirmed what the Elf had said with a small nod.

“Yes, I will be traveling with this fellowship for a time, at least as far as Lothlorien. We will take special care along the way, be assured of that.”

Elfstan looked worriedly at the other travelers as this conversation went on. Maybe their trip would not be as easy as he thought it would, even with the downfall of Sauron and the return of the King. He hoped things were okay at home.

There was a shocked look on Janell’s face when Legolas mentioned Saruman’s name. She thought she wouldn’t have to hear that name again. Every time someone said it, she got nervous. It was hard to believe that Saruman had been in league with Sauron.

“Well, is everyone ready to go? We should get started before we have to bed down for the night,” she said.

“Aye! Let us ride! Lead on, Janell!” cried Belle, eager to be off, and to set aside her oppressive thoughts of the fallen Istar of Isengard.

Gabby looked at Tanzy and saw Elfstan's worried look mirrored in her face. He began to wonder what a person like Saruman might do, and what he might still be capable of. He didn't know Saruman, but he knew Belle, and he had heard about Gandalf and his powers. “What can a broken wizard do?” he wondered aloud. In the same instant he realized he probably didn't want to know the answer to that question.

The Green Wizard pulled Gintel up alongside Charger, and looked at Gabby. “Broken or no,” Belle said quietly, “Saruman will not simply fade, my friend. Let us hope wherever he has gone, he is causing no further harm!” But in her heart, she did not believe that to be the case. Her earlier worry in the stables had been confirmed.
bellemaine
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2005 02:34
The Journey Home Goes Ever On

Belle looked at Gabby. Whatever Saruman was doing, or not doing, was not her concern for the moment, and she told the Hobbit as much. “Let us not borrow trouble,” she said, smiling at Gabby. She gazed down the road that lay before them. “Trust that it will find you,” something in Belle's mind added, but she did not say so aloud. The stay at Helms Deep had refreshed her in a way she had not expected. Lord Erkenbrand’s company had been most pleasant, and she had the satisfaction of knowing the company had rendered much assistance to those determined to rebuild. She would not let gloomy forebodings cast a pall over the bright, sunny day.

Mentally the Istar recalled Janell’s list of stops yet ahead of them: Isengard, Fangorn, Lothlorien, then on to the Old Forest Road. Rivendell was next. She would tell Elrond -- if she saw him -- how grateful she was for his gift of Elven knives to the Houses of Healing. Arnaud carried at least two of them everywhere he went, she recalled with a grin. Then the Green Istar sobered as she realized how much she missed the society of the Warden. And a yearning to see her brother, Radagast, rose within her. Perhaps after the Hobbits were safely back in the Shire, she could take the opposite direction in the Old Forest Road, and go to Rhosgobel …

The small fellowship, now comfortable with each other’s company, travelled the rest of their journey, enjoying the sights and sounds of Middle-earth. There were moments of excitement, scary moments and moments of great fun as they journeyed towards their inevitable parting.

It was with mixed emotions that the little group finally reached the Old Forest Road. A last night camping was spent reminiscing. Gabby surpassed himself with his usual aplomb, serving up a grand supper of rabbit stew and taters. Laughter rang through the branches of the trees that formed their canopy. Even the stars put on a display of unsurpassed beauty, as if giving the friends something to treasure.

The next morning dawned. A grey veil shrouded the still air. A dawn chorus heralded the new day and everyone was busy packing and readying themselves for the moment they would have to say goodbye.

Emotion filled their voices and hugs and promises to see each other. Káin gave Tanzy an extra long hug, then pulled away, a teary grin on his face. Their arms ached along with their hearts as each went off in their chosen directions.

No last looks back, no silent waves of hands. Each holding in their heart the knowledge that someday they would all see the other again.

~ The End ~
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email