Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post Announcement: Closing of the NT forums
on: July 17, 2004 04:27
With great regret, the Council of Elrond is announcing that we have made the decision to shut down the Non-Tolkien RPG forum, due to its limited relevance to the mission of this site, and the overwhelming task of trying to keep it moderated. This will be effective August 7th, 2004. Tolkien related RPGing will stay here on the site for the immediate future.

We don't want all of you NT RPGer's to be left high and dry with no place to RPG, though, and it has been suggested that we start a new site specifically devoted to RPGing in general. We will be looking for site administrators to take over this task, which you can read about here.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
tasuki1000
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Announcement: Closing of the NT forums
on: July 18, 2004 07:51
Hrm...As much as I'd hate to say goodbye to all the memories on the NT Forum :cry:, I think it's a jolly idea that a completely seperate site will be made for General RPing, I think I'll apply for Administration!
Adrien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 10:22
QUESTION:: What will happen to the old NT threads that are here right now?

Don't tell me they're going to be deleted...
SwirlZ
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2004 01:32
*jumps up and down* Uh, question here. I've got a question.

Allright, literally ages ago, we were somehow able to save the Potbelly Pony Pubs (all of them) upon request. Do you think that we could somehow take the existing threads and Ooc's and put them up on the other rpg board you're making, so that they can be continued on there.

Or do we just have to start over.....Maybe copy and pasting the whole thing would work, but we'd have to save it on our computers before you delete it.....

Besides that I rather like the idea.

tally ho!
gabriel_legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2004 07:52
(SwirlZ) : Do you think that we could somehow take the existing threads and Ooc's and put them up on the other rpg board you're making, so that they can be continued on there.

Um, yeah, I would be grateful if our threads were somehow saved or copied in the new site! We need answers please!

PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 02:37
There are still many details to be worked out.
There may be a few RPGs in the NT forum that could probably fit within the parameters of the TR forum. We'd be glad to transfer them.
Any details on other RPGs would have to be worked out with the Admins of the new site, as it will be their site and their decisions.
Some of the rp mods have volunteered to help out, at least for a while, with the new site; if the new admins wish so.
Tari_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 03:38
"Noooo! Nasty administratorses steals our preciousss!!" :cry: Like, how soon is all this going to happen?
aragornlvr912
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 09:29
I've spent like ALL of my time on this website in the Non-Tolkien section! All the RPGs I'm in are so far into their stories to be deleted and started over again! You've got to be able to save them SOMEHOW!!! :sob:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 01:20
Please, don't everybody jump to conclusions! No-one said anything about closing everything in NT down and making it all disappear. If we were going to do that we wouldn't be asking for people to set up a new NT site, now would we?
All of this will take a bit of time to set up so please be patient.
Rivka
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 04:31
I don't see any reason that we shouldn't be able to move the current NT threads over to this new forum. I'm hazarding a guess that the old posts will not be editable by the people who originally wrote them, but they will exist there (and you can continue posting to the threads) as a sort of archive of what happened before.

We've only received a couple of applications so far -- if this is going to happen, we need some people who are interested in doing this to step up and be willing to take charge. Even if you've never run a site before, don't let that hold you back. We're willing to teach you everything you need to know.
Melilot_Bolger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 09:58
Rivka, you said the problem with NT is moderating it. If ppl sent in applications to mod it could you keep it up? As aragornlver912 said I live in the NT. I own a thread and my best friend owns two. Without the NT forum we would spend less time on COE. I have always thought the PPP should be moved to TR. I'll contact Potbelly about that.

I mean it. If you need a mod for it I would gladly offer my time to do it just to keep it here!!! You can ask all my pubbers, I can do it. Talk to carolP. I would gladly help Mod to keep my baby running.

I will be sending you an application for the new site in case you really do go through with this. I would hate to spend so little time on COE since I mostly hang in NT. I am in one thread in TT.

I'm sadden that this is going to happen. It's like knowing fluffy is sick and you have to take him to the vet to put him to sleep. At least we'll get a new kitty.

Thanks for everything, Rivka. Your site rocks!!!!
Rivka
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 06:14
Moderating is part of it. Another significant part, though, has to do with the fact that we're no longer willing to invest so much of our time and resources towards activities that have little or nothing to do with Tolkien or his works. This is, after all, a Tolkien/LotR site...it just doesn't make sense to have such a huge section of the site devoted to non-Tolkien RPGing. And now that the movies are over, we're looking to find ways to "streamline" the site, and change its focus more to Tolkien-specific content -- but as I said in the original post, we don't want to just dump this huge part of CoE's history, or leave everyone out in the cold, hence the idea of this new site
Aelial
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 06:43
I have always admired this website, an I spend most of my time in the NT forums, I sent my application saying that I have exprience in Website Fields. Such as HTML editing etc- but I must say, I am not to good at animations =O(, okay anyway. Are you going to make the ones who you choose move the NT forums to the other website? Or are you going to do that yourself?
RedXII
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 12:59
Nooooo!
Uu cannot do this to me!

THE PAIN! THE PAIN! ow it sure does hurt!

Why? O' why? Why can't u close another forum????????
I love this forum all the final fantasy threads! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Noooooo! I am sooo upset
Plz save our forum

I shall start a Protest! :evil::evil:

Ii shall save our beloved forum!
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 06:54
As much as I hate to see this forum go, I definitely understand why this decision has been made. I notice a lot of vampire, anime, "high school", etc. threads around. The mods have placed limits on certain topic threads, and still the limits are ignored sometimes, so the mods have to go through, close threads, and explain why (possibly provoking the wrath of the RPers, and risking getting angry PMs). That can't be fun for the mods. I am not a mod or anything, but I definitely can understand, at least partially, the burdens of having to close unneeded threads. I definitely agree it would be easier to just close the forum, instead of posting reminders about topic thread limits, and debating whether or not the NT RPG forum is necessary to a Tolkien site.

OK, this post is getting sort of long and "rambly", so I'll stop. All I wanted to say is that I support the decision to close this forum. I would definitely support and use another site if we made it, though.

~Vanya~
Elven_Sweetheart
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 07:23
I agree with Vanya. I understand the decision completly. If its in the best interest of the site then i support it . And I would use the other site if you made one.

Elven_Sweetheart
SayenElfJedi
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 07:33
yeah, i definatly understand... as much as i am sad to see our forums go... i do see your point Rivka. and i can mod. the new forums if you need me too. or whatever... i have a few NT rp's here that i would love to keep going, and i will do whatever to takes to make that happen.

[Edited on 22/7/04 by SayenElfJedi]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 11:25
Not that I myself am going to want to let go of this forum so easily, I can definetly see the point to shutting down the forum. I, and many others, I presume, have noticed that most of the threads here are rather dark (not to say that threads within the other forums aren't) and seem to focus around the future, vampires, or anime. These being of no relation to Tolkien work (or having very vauge connections), it is probably best that there is a complete site devoted to RPing.

But if at all possible, I highly support the transfering of threads here to the new site once it becomes active. I would DEFINETLY use said other site. :rolling:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 03:07
the following is part of a pm, I sent yesterday, explaining part of our reasoning for closing the NT forum.
It is more than just overworked mods that lead to our move to eliminate the NT sub-forum. This has only come about after a great deal of discussion and there are several reasons.
The NT forum has gotten way out of hand with new RPs started on nearly any topic that can be imagined . If you read the 'Welcome' on the Home Page you'll see that COE is a resource; " based on the creative works of J.R.R. Tolkien". That statement no longer seems to apply to the NT sub-forum.
NT was originally started as a place where COE's Tolkien fans could try out some unrelated RPing. When I first became a moderator in 2002 the only Non-Tolkien rp we had was a single HP thread and I spoke up against allowing even a single non-Tolkien RP in our RP threads. More and more non-Tolkien rps were gradually added and we had to finally make a separate forum to accomodate them. Unfortunately, it has now gotten to the point where the NT forum is mostly used by people that don't seem to have any interest whatsoever in the works of Tolkien. Many of the members posting in NT aren't fans of LOTR at all, go nowhere else on the site, and only heard about the NT forum from friends that were members. They then joined strictly for the Non-Tolkien RPing. We see no reason for setting up and maintaining an area, on a Tolkien fan site, for people who aren't Tolkien fans.
Close to 90 % of our RP moderating problems come from the threads in the NT sub forum. Part of the reason that we rotate through the diferent sub-forums is that we won't subject anyone to the NT sub-forum for more than two weeks at a time. For a long time we've been discussing ways of dealing with the NT problems. (we discussed things like requiring staff permision fror new RPs. a requirement for using other parts of the site, only allowing a single RP on any movie, book, tv show , comic, or situation. etc.)
We finally realized that, as a Tolkien resource site, and after discussion of what we wish COE to become now that the movies are finished and new memberships are decreasing; there was no reason to even have a NT forum. That said; not being the kind of site that just abandond its members- even if they aren't Tolkien fans, we decided that the best thing to do was see if we could get someone to start up a sister site for the NT threads. We'll do what we can to help that site survive and thrive.
Sorry that this rambles , but this is the first time I've tried to explain some of the background behind the decision. I'm also sure that I left out some of the reasons behind the decision but I hope I gave you enough background so you can understand why we made the decision.

[Edited on 23/7/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
davendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 12:11
As much as i do sort of live in the NT forum parts, I do agree with the decision to close them, even if i dont particulary want the risk of losing all the stories i'm in. So i'm grateful that a new site could be and may be set up fot the NT threads.

I would participate in the other parts of this site more, only that i dont have the time to read through most of the posts to get an idea of what is going on due to the mass of people who belong here.

i'll stop typing now.

davendor
Savvylumberjack1112
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2004 06:39
It sucks. I just joined this site on the 17th and the only fourm Im in is closing down. Its also really good. Ive been looking for a all RPG message board and my prayer is being answered.

The savvest lumberjack if ever there was one
musicalgal123
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 03:02
I completely understand your descision to shut this thread down. My only question is the few threads that can be classified as Tolkien Related. Can they be moved to the Tolkien Related section. Example: The Captives. It's one of my fav rpgs. It also has Tolkien races in it. The only thing is it doesn't take place in Middle Earth. It has Elves, Uruk-hai, humans, orcs... Couldn't then it be classified as Tolkien Related? Are you going to move those? Becuase some of us love these rpg's. I'm not trying to complain at all, because I completely understand your desicion to close it down. This is a Tolkien site, it should have Tolkien rpgs. It makes perfect sense. I just have found that my one rpg here is my fav rpg on the site. So I'm wondering. And, if they will be moved to Tolkien Related, when will we know about it?
gabriel_legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 08:28
Oh oh oh! I would be soooo grateful if our non-tolkien threads were transfered! That would make me happy!!! As for all this new idea, I can understand why. But still, I'm REALLY upset by this.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 03:24
In response to Musicalgal123's question, we'll be glad to transfer to TR any threads that fit the criteria.
We've already transferred one thread and suggest that anyone else that has an RP thread that can fit in the TR forum can pm me or any other RP mods with your request.
foshpickle~greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 07:27
Whoa... you move and get rid of your computer for a while and all the sudden stuff happens...

As much fun as the NT forum has been, I think this is a very wise and well-thought out decision. The fact that now that the movies are over is something I've thought of- I have to admit I've been kind of worried that we'll end up with a bunch of people who really don't care for Tolkien's works at all and things will gradually go to... well... not-goodness. I've seen how some people act and post in the NT forum- not that I'm a mod, and I'm also not naming names, but it seems that there is an abundance of "copies" that last for only about a day or two before being forgotten. Those types of things clutter the forum for the threads that are really doing well. I've also seen a few instances where people used the forum simply to post a message to a friend or write something not entirely appropriate- obviously not what it was for. I don't think any of the good threads will die if things are moved because if someone truely cares about them they'll save them or continue it on the new site.

*steps off soapbox*

Anyways- I'd love to help with the new site, but being computer-less for the time, I doubt it would work. And then there's the issue of school starting in September... but I'll drop by to see how things are when I have a computer again! Good luck and good job to all involved. *hugs for all*

And try not to change anything until I get back!!! lol... It will be quite traumatizing for me to return and see that everything is different!
Rivka
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 07:17
The application period for the RPG admin position will be closing soon. If you'd like to apply, I would recommend that you send in your application immediately.
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 09:19
I am sad to see it go, but I understand. I don't think getting angry PMs from role players about things that shouldn't even happen is fun. Like most people, I'd be grateful if our non-Tolkien threads were transferred because a lot of memories were made.

Is it possible if you'd check Winter Vacation for elegibility for the TR forum? It was started by gabriel_legolas, and it is one of my favourites.

~Silvan
gabriel_legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 07:54
Gee, thanks Silvan! :blush:

Whatever you do, please don't delete the NT threads!
Gellan
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 01:15
could anyone tell me what the site will be called?
SayenElfJedi
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 06:34
not to sound stupid, but i have looked all over for a link to the new site... has the link been posted yet? or is the new site still under construction?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 07:14
The site is tentatively called - Monkeygames.net and we are still seeking applications for its admin staff. There is still some time left for anyone interested to apply for the position .

[Edited on 7/8/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Rivka
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 01:00
The Non-Tolkien forum is in the process of being moved over to the new site today. The new site should be up and running within the next couple of days.

Please note: there appears to be a rumor going around that we will be deleting the threads, or that you will not be able to continue your RPGs. This is not true. The threads in question are simply being moved to a new site, and you will be able to continue them there (once you create an account there).

There is no reason that this new forum cannot be a new home for all your RPGing.

additional;
I'm happy to announce that the Non-Tolkien threads were moved over to the new site, and once we've finished setting everything up, you can all go there and start up with your RPGing again Give us a day or two, and things should be all set.

[Edited on 9/8/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Rivka
Send Message
on: August 10, 2004 04:58
The new site is up and running, and can be found here:

http://www.monkeygames.net

All of the Non-Tolkien threads have been moved there. Feel free to register, and RPG your little hearts out

The Non-Tolkien forum will be removed completely here from CoE in one week's time.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email