Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Nilikar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Star Trek
on: August 31, 2003 10:51
Also, from what I read once (who knows when or where :dizzy, that JDL is (or was) not a Sci-Fi fan! Shows you how good some actors are.

Yeah I think I heard the same thing about Brent Spiner (Data)
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2003 10:40
Can't believe I never posted on here! Perhaps I posted on an earlier thread...

Anyway, having been a fan of Star Trek since, well, as long as I can remember, I'm thrilled with Enterprise, the latest instalment in the ongoing story. I've watched it from the outset (naturally!) and I love being able to pre-empt the crew, as obviously, having 'seen the future', the viewer actually has more information on galactic politics/technologies/cultures than anyone on board, save perhaps T'Pol and Phlox. It's fun to be an expert!

Still trying to decide between Tripp and Malcolm, though...
TorechUngol
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2003 09:49
I'm a complete and utter Trekie!!
Arwen1858
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2003 05:22
I'm a Trekkie! I grew up watching DS9 the most, so it's my favorite. I've seen very few OS episodes, but all the movies, and almost all of the TNG, DS9, VGR, and ENT episodes. I saw Nemesis in theatres, and bought it when it came out. Oh, and when I was 9, I got to go to a convention and meet James Doohan and get his autograph and have my picture taken with him.
Arwen
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2003 04:24
yea Q fans!!

I love those freaky know it all freaks. Did Imention that they were freaky? What was really strange thou, was Q's "judge" outfit in the first few episodes of TNG.

I think if I had that power, I would slow down time so I could watch LOTR over and over again. Oh, and make the EE screening available all over the world.
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2003 01:59
Anyone here remember the animated Star Trek series??
I've been watching Star Trek since I can remember! I think DS9 is actually my favourite of all the various series with Enterprise coming in a close second. TNG was probably the weakest but then they took a big gamble when they decided to make it and it was done when everything was all about political correctness and not offending anyone so it suffered a bit at the start.
Movie wise.....I like them all....favourites are probably The Voyage Home and First Contact. Alice was magnificent as the Borg Queen.
~Gwenneth~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2003 04:10

I like both Star Trek and Enterprise but I prefer Star Trek. My favrite ST movie is The Jouney Home.
~Mistress_Gamgee~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 03:42
Q is my idol. I also had the hots for his son who appeared in Q2 episode of Voyager. :love: LOL *blushes* I like that type of guy, scrawny with dark, curly hair and a very sounding "sh". *sniggers*
I agree about Picard being one of the most fascinating characters. To me, he is the only one of the 4 captains (haven't seen the captain in the Enterprise series) I'd be willing to give command of a real spaceship. LOL
And don't be so hard on Troi. If it wasn't for her we'd never get to meet her fabulous mother.
Nilikar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 02:49
I never saw first contact,:cry: I really want to get it on dvd. Is it good?
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 01:07
Troi's mother is fabulous. She's definately one of the reccurring characters that you look forward to like Q.

Nilikar it would really depend on your own opinions of the movies in general, of the Next gen crew and of the Borg as to whether or not you'd enjoy First Contact. I think it's the best one and well worth seeing but that's only my viewpoint.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: December 24, 2003 05:09
I didn't know we had a Trekkies thread! I wonder what the correlation is between Tolkien and Rodenberry fans? T'would be interesting to take a survey and see the precise ratios. Tokien:Roddenberry and Roddenberry:Tolkien

I have been a ST:TOS fan since before I knew The Hobbit existed. (Not the first time around Luvs, me father had the tapes *is 24...25 in February*) It kept me alive, gave me hope for myself, and even perhaps instilled some vague morals in me, or atleast the want to have morals.

Hey can any of you beat this? I'm such a Trekkie, I'm working on learning all the Ferrengi Rules of Aqusition so that I may repeat them at inapropriate times. I want there to be no question whatsoever that I am a geek. I enjoyed TNG except Crusher and well to a certain extent Troi but Crusher... blech! My opinion of course. Also my opinion but there can never be enough said about Q *sigh* Alien Voices has a fantastic audio CD called Spock vs Q A fantastic meeting of two of the ST Universe's most amazing characters. And Mr. De Lance must like Sci Fi a little... He after all wrote a Scifi book, atleast one can't remember the name right out of hand, but it was good.

DS9 I do not think gets its proper dues... yes the over reliance on the 'Dominion' kind of washed out the last bit. You have to recognise though, that it never got a run as the only Trek on TV. Never got the attention it deserved. Life on a space station would be cramped and dull most of the time, and you would get to know just too much about the people around you. And there's no change of scenery as with a Star Ship. And hey, Quark! How can you not love Quark? The Ferrengi who is always trying to hide the fact that he cares.

Why haven't we heard anything about Trelaine? The biggest brat in the Multiverse? The predecesor of Q... oh what fun that was.

Voyager... or as some prefer to call it STC never got into it. heard the later seasons were better than the first but, hey, can't win them all. *shrugs* I can't watch Captain Janeway without thinking how horribly ignorant she sounded in the documentary Trekkies. Her definition of the difference between Trekkies and Trekkors... *disgusted Klingon like grunt* Let me clear this up for you... Trekkies live, eat and breath Star Trek... Trekkors are the 'cool' people who sort of like it. Trekkies= bonafide freaks Trekkors= the rest of you! lol

Enterprise... haven't seen it, when it comes to DVD I'll probably rent it or something to get a taste. But as someone earlier said... it happening in the ST past kind of takes all the suspence away. Can someone tell me though is the Captain Robert April? Because according to Roddenberry he was the first captain of the Enterprise.

I really liked St: First Contact Seeing Picard loose it just a little really adds to the three dimensional aspects of the character. And hey it has Lieutenant Broccoli in it!

Tasar *who has in the past worn her TNG Science uniform to go out shopping* Now who's a Trekkie lmao!

(edit: btw I'm making a St:TNG RP its in the OOC under 'In the Dead of Night' )

[Edited on 12/24/2003 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
~Lostsarnion~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2003 07:34
Well, I grew up with Star Trek, my parents always watched it, first as a child I thought it was ever so scary, but when I grew older, I got addicted.

I like (series):

Movies:

BTW ------> I also love Star Wars!!!! Anyone with me???
Nilikar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 03:45

Nilikar it would really depend on your own opinions of the movies in general, of the Next gen crew and of the Borg as to whether or not you'd enjoy First Contact. I think it's the best one and well worth seeing but that's only my viewpoint.

Thanks, I just saw it yesterday, I loved it!!!
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 06:37
Hey everyone!

Star Trek is pretty cool, but I can't say I'm a real "Trekkie". Voyager is my favorite series, followed bt the Original. Enterprise stinks! Blech! My favorite characters are Seven of Nine, The Doctor, B'lanna (sp?), Tom Paris, and Mr. Spock. My friend is IN LOVE with Spock, however. We all call her "Mrs. Spock", and she has a tortise that she named Spock. :dizzy: Heh. She also told me that is there was no Spock, she'd be Mrs. Worf. Hooooo boy.

P.S. Does anyone else think Kes is a creep?

Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 06:01
Original series fan here. I always had a crush on Yeoman Janice Rand.

[Edited on 12/30/2003 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Grey_Pilgrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 11:43
I'm in a minority in that the original Star Trek series is the only one I DON'T like!

With The Next Generation, Deep Space 9 & Voyager, it took me a little while to take to them, but when I did I became hooked. In particular, I loved the stories about the war with The Dominion on DS9, and I think the Borg are brilliant so really got into Voyager. (Even the ex-drones.... 7 of 9.... :love: )

I was very sceptical when I heard about Enterprise & to be honest I didn't think Scott Bakula would make a good Enterprise captain. Couldn't have been more wrong, an excellent series & Jonathan Archer is fantastic, as are most of the cast.

And the new series starts here in Ireland (& UK) next Monday!

As for the movies, I like about half, i.e. the ones when TNG crew came in, though the first aren't all bad. Favourite would be First Contact.
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 01:59
I'm in a minority in that the original Star Trek series is the only one I DON'T like!

No you're probably not.......I think whether or not you like the original series depends a lot on your age! It's kind of like Bond films in a way....as kids you love them...you hit your teens/early twenties and they seem really naff......then you hit your thirties or so and they suddenly seem really great again as you realise just how tongue in cheek and cheesey they really are and you can appreciate them for that.

Just seen the start to the New series of Enterprise (also UK resident here). I like Enterprise, it's that bit more gritty than the others. They've done well with it!
Celwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 04:33
i am a big star trek fan but i cant stand enterprise! it doesnt have the proper type theme they dropped the star trek logo so its just enterprise and well i think scott baluka is too famous for quantum leap to be the captin. the acents annoy me aswell.
but the othe 4 series are great im addicted!!!!!
live long and prosper
RangerAragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2004 05:07
Ive been a fan for a while, I started watching TOS and then branched into TNG and the others.
My favorite is TNG, the many seasons, its like its back on new, I still havent seen them all!
I never see DS9, its way to syndicated on my channels, but TNG is on every weeknight, and Voyager on sundays.
Ive gotten to like Enterprise, the Xindi thing is pretty good, probally more to me and others like me because ive been following it, and I want to see what happens, but this Xindi conflict as Enterprise Movie Written all over it, hopefully some kind of star trek movie again comes out!
Celwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 04:04
well my main prblem with enterprise is that it a) doesnt have a proper star trek beginning it has a song!
b) its ditched the traditional star trek : enterprise and is just enterprise
and c)the biggest problem of them all!!! it has things in it such as holographic technology and races and cloaking devises that are not even heard of until TNG. the whole series is out of sink with the rest of them and it makes it awful. of course this is just my opinion burt i think it ruins the whole series and the people who created it as the people who created voyager should have been able to get the timeline straight. its rediculas it just doesn't fit in with the others and i really hope they dont continue it but make a new sequal to voyager maybe where they set out to purposly explore the delta quadrant
well got to go
celwyn
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 11:16
haha, seems the Enterprise isn't that populat with most people. Why do they keep renewing the series if no one is watching??

I don't get to watch TNG (my fav) anymore since it's shown on channels I don't get. But I love to watch the reruns, especially any episode with the borg or with Q.

Is anyone here a member of Startrek.com?
Celwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 03:06
i was a member of star trek.co.uk but i lost my ussername and apssword and they never sent me a new one. how do you join star trek.com? i am such a big trekkie and i agree there is no point renuing the series if no one watches. none of the trekkies i know watch it. we hate it!:angry:
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 04:37
The title song is even more irritating now that they've 'revamped' it but aside from that I still like Enterprise, and most Trek fans I know do as well so you can blame me for the fact they're still running it LOL.
I'm curious Celwyn.......when did they drop the 'Star Trek' bit out of the Logo?? It was there when I watched it the other night.
Grey_Pilgrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 07:22
I agree about the new version of the title song, I preferred the original, in fact got to kind of like it. I just checked the most recent episode that I've seen. (Still have it on tape as I was working when it was shown). Season 3, episode 4(?), "Extinction". The words Star Trek are still there on the opening credits. However, we get the series here a few months after the US so maybe they dropped "Star Trek" later on?

[Edited on 23/1/2004 by Grey_Pilgrim]
Celwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 07:47
maybe but over here if u look for it its advertised as enterprise not star trek enterprise. the theme has words and just isnt like the other beginning but this is just my opinion if others like it thats fine. i was just saying what me and my mates thought
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 01:47
Hey no problem petal, if we all liked the same things the world would be a pretty boring place. There's no need to try to justify your opinion to me Celwyn, I'm all for speaking one's mind. You have your views, you don't go with the flow, and you stick to your guns.......good on you!!
I was just as bad when Next Generation was first aired. I was used to watching the original series and was determined I was going to hate this new version of a programme I looked forward so much, but in the end I gave in and watched it and gradually grew to love it just as much. A lot of people really hated Voyager when it first aired too..........me I liked it.
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 09:41
The problem with introducing any new Star Trek series is that there's a whole load of mythology to trip over (oh dear, no pun intended - promise!).

I was interested in the comments made by... er... someone here about how the synchronisity between the technology in the original Star Trek and that in Enterprise wasn't quite right. What we have to remember is that, when the original series was being made, there simply weren't the tools to simulate advanced technologies such as holodecks (although I think cloaking did exist?). So, when approaching Enterprise from the view of the original series, you have to allow a bit of room for our own technological advances.

I think Enterprise has been pretty respectful of all that has gone before, which is one of the strengths of the show. For example, whilst holodeck technology has been shown in one episode, it hasn't become a regular or familiar feature.

I'm a big fan of Enterprise (can you tell ) and I'm sorry to hear the continual rumours about it being axed. If it were to be discontinued, we would miss out on a great opportunity to further add to Star Trek mythology.

Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 09:46
PS... if anyone would like more info on Dominic Keating (Lt Malcolm Reed), or Connor Trinneer (Commandor 'Trip' Tucker), fan sites, feel free to PM me - I'm part of a couple of good groups.

PPS... If you are fans of 'The Enterprise Boys' and you're in the UK, then you should attend Expo 2004 in London in May - both Dominic and Connor will be there!
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 05:26
By the way, does anyone know where I can find the dvd sets of DS-9? I've been trying to find them, but haven't had any luck this far.

I have Season 1 & 2!! I got them for Xmas, but I'm 99% sure my dad got them from Best Buy.

Anyway, I've grown up watching star trek and I've been a trekkie for as long as I can remember! I love Star Trek and I know I'll never get tired of watching it. DS9 is by far my fav, but I love them all! Except maybe the original... which was more of a western than a space show... But I'll agree that Spock was awesome!
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 01:23
I was interested in the comments made by... er... someone here about how the synchronisity between the technology in the original Star Trek and that in Enterprise wasn't quite right. What we have to remember is that, when the original series was being made, there simply weren't the tools to simulate advanced technologies such as holodecks (although I think cloaking did exist?). So, when approaching Enterprise from the view of the original series, you have to allow a bit of room for our own technological advances.

Agreed, there is also the added blurring by some viewers of the line between knowing of the existance of something and the actual being able to use it.
As was mentioned about the holodeck and cloaking technologies, the crew of Enterprise may have become aware of their existance through contact with other species but they are still unable to utilise those technologies so it does not interupt the timeline as much as you may think. Think back to our own past where the existance of electricity was known long before technology and science had advanced sufficiently to use it.
I'd imagine several people threw their hands up in horror at an earlier episode where the Ferengi were on board Enterprise as they are not really known about until the Next Gen timeline, but at no point during that episode was the fact that their species were known as Ferengi mentioned.
Celwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 02:01

Agreed, there is also the added blurring by some viewers of the line between knowing of the existance of something and the actual being able to use it.
As was mentioned about the holodeck and cloaking technologies, the crew of Enterprise may have become aware of their existance through contact with other species but they are still unable to utilise those technologies so it does not interupt the timeline as much as you may think.

there is a TNG episode where laforge and ro are thought to be dead but in fact have been cloaked. cloaking devices obviously cant have been heard of because when they ound out what it was on the romulan ship they were surprised because they had not known anyone who had been able to make it work. in enterprise they had a ship with it that worked!!!!! it was actually used by the crew so it does disrupt the timeline . im sorry i accept what u are saying but i think that for me the series has ruined the previous series :cry:
Bloduewedd
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 05:32
Tsk how foolish of me............I forgot all about that epsiode of TNG. I stand corrected:blush: and will now advance to the idiots corner where I will sit facing the wall with my dunces hat on!
Celwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 07:22
its alright dont cower in a corner its just im a big fan of TNG and have it on vid lol
its just so nice to meet other trekkies!!!!!

celwyn :blush:
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 08:42
No, LaForge and Ro were more than just cloaked, they were "fazed" their molecular structure had been altered. I've seen that episode several times to know that they were more than just cloaked. It was the Romulans that were experimenting with this new tech, they already knew how to cloak, but this was a new technology because it was an alteration of the already discovered cloaking device.

SarumanRhodes
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 05:52
Personally my favorite has to be Voyager. Although the first couple of seasons are slightly boring and hard to get into. The later seasons are so COOL!:love::love: My favorite characters have to B'lanna(sp?), Tom Paris, and Harry Kim. I record it every night and watch it the next day! I don't know what i would do without it!

My problem with the new enterprise has to be the fact that they have a song for their intro. What ever happened to the cool star trek music that i love and adore???:cry::cry::cry:

I've never really seen the other ones, but i've started to watch DS9 on tv now that it's in syndication(sp?).

My favorite movie has to be Generations, it's so cool how Captain Picard and Captain Kirk work together in the end!!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email