Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
SarumanRhodes
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Star Trek
on: May 28, 2004 05:18
I just saw a VGR episode from 2nd season. I didn't know that Brad Dourif was on it for a while. cool................ Has anyone else seen this episode?? Its called "Basics" part 1 & 2.
SpideyWing
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 02:57
According to imdb.com, Brad Dourif played Ensign Lon Suder in Basics, Pts. 1 & 2.
Keterai
Palantír/Collectibles Mod, & Ninja Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 04:19
doing a manual bump, for the other trek thread that appeared in this forum.
michiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 12:39
More trekkies, great! I didn't see this one when I posted the poll on the series. Though I was born when the original series was in the USA I remember the early ones in the UK and some animated ones. The reruns addicted me though. I am not as keen on TNG but loved DS9 and Voyager. I like Enterprise but not as much so far, think it's the theme tune!
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 09:11
My mom is a Trekkie . Hehe she is SO obsessed with it, it sometimes frightens me. She used to go to all of these Star Trek conventions and when I was only like 3 or something, she brought me to this one where all the actors were there, and the guy that played Spock held me!! My mom used to like go everywhere that they were supposed to be. She went to Toys 'R Us once to see them because they were doing some promoting of some toys. I've never seen Star Trek myself, though Trek magazines, books, and DVDs are like all over the house!

[Edited on 13/6/2004 by luvlijah]
ArwenCZJ
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 11:29
Hello everyone!

Just in case you are interested, in the upcoming movie, The Terminal, there is a really good, funny part that involves Star Trek ! You may want to see it!

-ArwenCZJ
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 02, 2004 12:32
Bumping the thread for Trekkies!

Anyway, does anyone here watch Enterprise? I almost cried when they were going to cancel it!! I was ready to boycott UPN (lol). But I heard they're just going to move the series to Friday nights @ 9. Come on Trekkies! Support the series! ;P

And I've heard rumors of another Star Trek movie! Crazy! I thought they were done with Nemisis. Thoughts? Anyone?
Grey_Pilgrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 01:21
I was relieved too when I heard that Enterprise would not be cancelled. I read that for season four, Manny Coto will be more involved in production and/or direction. He was involved in some of season three (which I loved; the darker feel and continuous storyline really worked), and also worked on Odyssey Five and Jake 2.0 of late.

Roll on season 4!
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 02:00
Yes, it def. was one of those things that you either loved or hated. I thought it worked very well. I'd like to see some change of pace though, and maybe go back to random plots. But idk, we'll see.

Grey_Pilgrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 06:16
Maybe a combination of both would work. For example most of TNG was different stories each episode but Q/Borg were always there, cropping up now and again. Same with Voyager, one goal/many different encounters/Borg. (I love The Borg, BTW!)

As for another movie, there were rumours before Nemesis. A lot of scenarios, DS9 cast, Voyager cast, combination, etc.

To go along with what Picard said in Generations ("there's plenty more letters in the alphabet")... there's even more numbers so I think the movie series could easily continue. I think it would be a good idea to give the DS9/Voyager casts a shot at a movie, after all they're as much part of the Star Trek universe as TOS & TNG. And maybe Enterprise in years to come.
Keterai
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 08:41
Picard said that in First Contact

Yes, Enterprise is now on Fridays, now it wont have to contend with Smallville. Yup, it's got a better person helping out now. Yup Berman and Braga need to be fired...but we can't have everything now can we?

My rumors say that the next movie will have nothing to do with any crews we have now, which, IMO, is dumb...it needs to be done with the TNG/DS9/VOY crew.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 03:35
Yes, the next movie is said to be set in the time period AFTER Archer and ENT, but BEFORE Kirk and TOS. Its supposed to describe the foundation of the Federation and the beginning of the war with the Romulans.

I don't know about the rest of yah, but I'm going to watch it anyway. I was a Trekkie long before I got into LotR.
Vardagaladhiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 01:49
:wave:Woooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Some other trekkies!!!!!!! :love:I thought we were an almost extinct race!!!!!!!
I seem to annoy my friends(especially in Physics lessons) because whenever someone says the word "Resistance".............. I instantly complete the sentence with "is futile":blush:!!!!!hehehehehehehehehe.... that really gets on my on friends nerves so I think I had better cut it out!!!!!! Sometimes I say goodbye to my sister(who is a fellow trekkie!!) by saying "Live long and prosper"(with the Vulcan hand sign as well!!). But she doesn't mind at least!!!! Also being able to turn your emotion chip on and off could come in handy at times............
My favourite series is The Next Generation!!!!! Picard is such a brilliant character!!! And Data is soooo sweet and innocent...... wouldn't you just love to be able to learn and understand things in seconds and to be able to do all your work in the space of a minute or less!!!!!!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 05:13
I watched Mudd's Women the other day, and its been a long time since I've seen the original series, and the props and such sure are dated! Love the short skirt uniforms though!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 06:59
I enjoy all Star Trek after Next Generation, my favorite series (I hate the original series. Not because of the effects or props, but because or Kirk. I challenge anyone to find a worse Captain) My list goes llike this, with one being my fav. 1: The Next Generation, 2: Voyager, 3: Enterprise, 4: Deep Space 9, 5: the original series. I have a question, tho. In Next Generations (the first Picard movie) They had a scene where they were celebrating Christmas. Now, if all original religion on Earth has been deemed ridiculous by then, how can they have Christmas? Anyone who's over fifteen (yes, I know people that age who still think so) know that Santa Claus isn't the reason for the season. I don't think I can, but if you read the Bible, then you do. :feedback:
Nevquareien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2004 12:43
Woohoo!! How can I have missed this thread til now? ;D
I'm of the "older generation" of CoE members - tho still a newbie- and I have been a Trek nut since TOS was still being aired. I never saw much of TOS as a kid; my parents didn't appreciate the brilliance of such proggies (or such authors as Tolkien, more's the pity...)

*LOVED* TNG, never really got into DS9 but I think the Ferengi are hilarious. I've caught more DS9 reruns on night shifts than I ever saw as new releases!

Hubby and I were utterly addicted to Voyager. Kathryn Janeway was a character you either loved or loathed; I thought she absolutely rocked.

Enterprise. What can I say? When hubby told me that Scott Bakula had been cast as Captain I almost fainted; I have had a real thing for him since the days of Quantum Leap. I'm absolutely loving Enterprise. As with all ST, you have to suspend belief and enjoy. Or as "Voltaire" says, "The USS Make S*** Up"!!

mrx878
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2004 08:48
My favorite Star Trek is Voyager. But my dad likes Deep Space 9 so we have almost every episode on DVD!
pippinmerry_mushroom
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 10:52
My parents introduced me to Next Generation when I was 3, but I got scared when some guy got melted and didn't watch it again until this year, when I was channel flipping and this hazy little memory floated out of the foggy depths of my mind when I saw this almost-bald guy giving orders to this guy with weird looking skin. I was like "Why is this so familiar?" So I watched the episode, and then I remembered everything from the names of the characters to who was what rank ( I honestly don't know how i can remember all that from when I was 3). It was so WEIRD.
Auralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 05:29
I grew up around Star Trek, both my parents were into it. I love them all, so I can't pick a favourite!!

Lon Suder was a very good character, I lovehow he managed to save the ship int he end....
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 27, 2004 06:13
...Lon Suder? I've been a Trekkie my whole life but I do not know that name... But then again I avoid watching TOS (for the same reasons as The_seventh_Ringbearer) and I don't watch any of the off-shoots like the animated series.

Anyway! Wow this season sure is different! There seems to be a lot of sub-plots and all. I was so glad to see Brent Spiner make his return! He's such a great actor. The Vulcan conspiracy is awesome too.

Have you ever noticed that they love to reuse characters? The head of the High Command on Vulcan was also an Admiral in DS9 that planned an attack on Earth to increase security during the war against the Dominion. I've also seen Alexander's mother (K'lar or something) as a Vulcan doctor in the earlier episodes. Gul Dukat played a Romulan commander for an episode too in TNG. And Brunt of the FCA in DS9 is playing the main Andorian in ENT.

It's crazy! But I guess they do it b/c its easy with all the make up they have to wear. I'm too observant I suppose

Has anyone heard anymore news about the movie? I'm pretty sure they're still trying to make it with a completely new cast and era...
Keterai
Send Message
on: February 02, 2005 07:47
Enterprise was cancelled!

I'm so sad!
Grey_Pilgrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2005 09:31
That's bad news. It only lasted about half the length of the other 3 spin-off series, they all ran for 7 seasons or thereabouts.

Bummed out now.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 04:20
Yeah, my dad and I had a discussion about this when he told me that it was going to be cancelled. I suggested that most Trek fans haven't liked it mostly because didn't really advance the Trek universe at all. They've given us some interesting stories (most critical being the Xindi, altho we both agreed that they probably stretched it a little too far), but we're just now getting to see some of the important history that was vital to the Star Trek universe after the twenty-second century. They're doing their "see how the Federation started" too little too late. It'll be their last "hoorahs" when they probably do their best work at the end of this season, but I think the writers are gonna have to come up with something after Voyager to get Trek fans interested again. And this time, LESS TIME TRAVEL! :disco:
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 08:40
Yep, ENT lasted only 4 seasons. TNG, DS9, and VOY lasted 7 seasons. Of course, TOS only lasted 3 seasons...

I think it'll be a while before we see a new series pop up. And I think it will have to have less time travel... And more character development. We didn't know much about the characters in this series.

Still, I'm sad No more Trek... which I've had my whole life!
Keterai
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 01:00
I know, I've had trek almost my whole life too! a few weeks shy of 20, and bang! It's gone!

I didn't like that they went back in time, if they jumped forward in time, that would have been better.

I hope we get a new show soon....I'd like to see that.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2005 07:22
Hey, How do you think I feel? I'm only sixteen (soon to be 17). Ever since I was born there has been a Trek series going. I was around when they were finishing up the first season of TNG I think. Next year might be the first year that there is no more new Trek going on for me. :disco:
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 05, 2005 08:37
Its official. Star Trek will not be renewed, despite the fans that are trying to get it back. Here's the story for those that are interested.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/040205_01.shtml

I was about 3 when TNG premeired. I remember wanting to stay up and watch it but my mother wouldn't let me. lol. But when I got older I started watching it regularly.

No more Trek
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 01:15
No more new Trek, but the re-runs will be around, and I assume Enterprise'll come out on DVD soon enough.
Precious!
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 06:15
Last I heard they were coming out in March.

And yes, it is no more *new* Trek, but the reruns have already been seen so there's not much difference.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 11:20
I always thought they messed with this show too much. The time war was just short of silly and the Xindi thing seemed like some sort of knee-jerk 911 response. The show had only just returned to the premis it was supposed to have in the first place just in time to get the axe. If they'd spent more time fleshing out the characters, exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new life and new civilizations they'd probably still be boldly going forward. It was an excellent idea which was sadly mismanaged.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 01:19
You know, I watched Enterprise when it first started, but it just didn't meet my expectations. As a huge fan of the original series, I was expecting ENT to expand on that history and universe, and explain how the federation and starfleet came to be, and have episodes that met up with some of the alien races that we all know and love. Instead, we got a whole bunch of weird time travel stuff, a bunch of aliens that nobody has ever heard of, and little to no "history" to speak of. Maybe recent episodes dealt with that stuff, but by then, the show had lost a lot of the hardcore fans, including myself.

I think this series was an attempt to expand beyond the hardcore fans and pull in people new to the ST franchise -- and it failed on multiple accounts. The time travel stuff was too confusing for newbies, and the lack of tie-ins with ST history (and the blatant changes that went against accepted Star Trek "history") made too many of the hardcore fans angry. So the show just didn't have many fans at all. I think the producers of the show just don't understand either their franchise, or the people that watch it, and made a really big blunder with this series.

When I was working for StarTrek.com last year, I had the chance to watch some of the newer episodes. I wasn't impressed, and am glad I stopped watching the show. Alien Nazis? I don't even want to know how that was resolved.

Porthos was cute, though.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 04:24
and the lack of tie-ins with ST history (and the blatant changes that went against accepted Star Trek "history") made too many of the hardcore fans angry.

You realize that this "history" that has been accepted in Star Trek really doesn't exist at all. There is an attempt to make continuity in Star Trek but it didn't go very far. Make up for Klingons, Warp Speed factors, and cultural differences are just a few that I can think of right now. I quote myself from a LJ community post that I made a while ago:

"My concern is that a lot of "die-hard" Star Trek fans protested the idea of ENT even before it came out. They said it doesn't follow the history that all the other series was based on. But come on people, the history was always changing! Listen to some of the original Star Trek episodes and you will hear Kirk command warp 15 or something but later it is impossible to reach over warp ten. Of course if you don't like ENT because of other reasons that's fine, I'm just annoyed with the people who didn't even give it a chance because it messed up the perfect story line or something. There is no perfect story line and it bothers me that people would be that obsessed with it that they would actually be bothered by that fact. Sorry, but come on its just a story."

Another problem I think I see (only with LotR fans) is that they are so used to well developed story lines and little contridiction in the stories. Tolkien was so obsessed with making everything so very perfect that they are nearly impossible to find! There's also the simple fact that Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings, and no other. His son has simply taken some of his notes and published them. But how many writers have there been for Star Trek? Dozens. They also haven't been as picky about keeping track of all the discrepancies that they may have made.

And just to throw in someone else's comment to my post... "Well, we have four shows which are based off a poorly planned TV show from the sixties. The Original Series probably had more internal continuity errors than any other series (I love the show as much as any of you! I swear!) Of course there will be continuity errors. The writers can't remember everything!"

So the show just didn't have many fans at all.

Ah. True. 2.5+ million people certainly aren't that many at all. And that was their all time low.

I meant no offense! I certainly hope you don't take any.
FatalBeauty
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2005 08:33
Well, I'm some kind of trekkie. I mean I started to watch Next Generation: season 1 in October 2004, and I liked that series so much that I watch every episode now, and I've also seen three Trek movies ('Insurrection', First Connection' and 'Nemesis'). I think Trek is the best sci-fi ever (yes, it outnumbers even Star Wars, hang me). And Data, what a character!

Edit: yeah, Contact, that's what it is. Sorry...

[Edited on 22/2/2005 by FatalBeauty]
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2005 08:46
That's First Contact, not connection. And that is the one Trek movie I have yet to see!

You are forgiven.

[Edited on 2/4/2005 by The_seventh_Ringbearer]
Grey_Pilgrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2005 10:10
Just been watching showbiz news on Sky, and they've said that thanks to fan pressure the makers of "Enterprise" have had a change of heart! The info they had wasn't very detailed but said it's possible that a few specials will be made.

There's also talk of a new movie, and William Shatner claims he's been approached about it.

There's nothing about any of this on Startrek.com yet though.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email