Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I have not seen any Star Trek, but I like scifi (like Star Wars - don't look at me like that) and my uncle is trying to convince me to see Into Darkness. He says I will like it because it is more like SW than the others, and he also claims it makes a pretty good standalone so I can watch it without feeling unsatisfied with the ending. What do you think? Would anyone be willing to pm me with advice?
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I have the "Legends of The Final Frontier" DVD box, with the first ten ST films up to "Nemesis", plus special features on each DVD and an entire eleventh DVD dedicated entirely to special features (appendices have become all the rage since some obscure trilogy of a little more than a decade ago ... ). In addition, I have the prequel simply named "Star Trek" with the crew all young, and a somewhat puzzling presence of Leonard Nimoy as the old Spock (I forget the "reason" ).

I would say all off the movies may be watched as stand-alones, with the possible exception of ST II "The Wrath oh Khan" and ST III "The Search for Spock".

The first movie has been most criticized, as I remember - "motion-less picture" pops to mind as a comment - but I disagree, as I myself am very critical of the studios' practically autistic insistence on "more of the same". And I immediatlely apologize to all people afflicted by autism, as they did not choose it, while the form of autism of the studios (and a lot of management not involved in cinema) is self-inflicted, and more importantly, inflicted on millions of people who would rather do without it.

[Edited on 12/27/2015 by Gandolorin]
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you. Can you tell me if there are multiple continuities, or if all films and shows are part of the same continuity? I have heard one major spoiler about Into Darkness that makes me hesitent to watch unless I know how it worked out.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
The only explicit continuity I (very vaguely) remember for TV is that Worf from "The Next Generation" was the security chief of "Deep Space Nine", at least at the beginning.

"Star Trek" from 2009 is the latest movie I have, so "Into Darkness" is in darkness for me.

Wikipedia has quite a bit of information that might be helpful.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
How have I only just come across this thread?! I was brought up on 60s Trek, and never looked back I would say TOS is my favourite series, as it has Mr. Spock (RIP Leonard Nimoy), but I also enjoy the others. I definitely say TNG is my second favourite series, as it has Picard, Q and Data amongst its crew.

With regards to 'Star Trek 2009' and 'Into Darkness', I liked them, but as seperate entities to the original series. I had to do the same when it came to the new Marvel universe films, as they will always upset the die hard fans one way or another. I was quite dubious about Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan, but I think for the film, he did an excellent job... But I may be a tad biased as I like him as an actor?
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin, I appreciate your advice.

With regards to 'Star Trek 2009' and 'Into Darkness', I liked them, but as seperate entities to the original series. Are they actually an "alternate universe" like the new Marvel films, or are they meant to fit into the old continuity? Itarilde, could you please tell me if Into Darkness ends on a cliffhanger, or is it standalone-ish?
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Elfeawen Lomiondil said:Gandolorin, I appreciate your advice.

With regards to 'Star Trek 2009' and 'Into Darkness', I liked them, but as seperate entities to the original series. Are they actually an "alternate universe" like the new Marvel films, or are they meant to fit into the old continuity? Itarilde, could you please tell me if Into Darkness ends on a cliffhanger, or is it standalone-ish?

I believe they are meant to be set in a different continuity, as of course, Vulcan existed in all of the Star Trek series and was never blown up by Romulans. But they still reference the original series for the die-hard fans.

As for 'Into Darkness', I don't remember it ending on a cliff-hanger, though it definitely had some parts that could lead to a sequel? It's been a while since I last down to watch it, in all honesty. I know that at the end of the film, they mention the Enterprise's five year mission, so there was that wedged in.
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks a lot. That helps. And there is a sequel coming this year.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I finally watched Into Darkness, and if anyone was wondering, it does make a good standalone. There are a few references to things that may have happened in the first movie (I don't know) but I almost always felt like I knew who people were and what was going on. It has a good and positive conclusion, but launches the crew on a new mission so that the series can continue.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I finally got to watch the new film from this year 'Beyond', and I really enjoyed it. It was original, and as a big fan of Leonard Nimoy (RIP), I was quite moved by the real emotion displayed when Zachary Quinto talks about Spock Prime's death as Spock.

If you are Star Trek fan, new or old, do go and watch it. It is a great movie, and I know I'll be watching it many times in the future, just like the rest of my Star Trek collection!

RIP Lindarielwen
Image Image
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I had a blast with Beyond! I love the character interactions. And I adore Jaylah. I would like to see more of her.

I have seen all 3 new movies now, and rapidly went from kind of liking them to loving them to death. I know there are differences between the new stuff and the old stuff (casting, timeline, style/tone, special effects), but I am seriously tempted to try some of the old stuff. Could you recommend a Trek movie or TV series that you think that someone who likes the new movies might like too? Thanks!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
A bit of a necropost, but as a 'Trekkie' from way back, I'm loving 'Lower Decks'!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email