Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post The Book Club Info Spot
on: September 11, 2004 12:31
~*When do we start?*~
We will be starting on or about Sunday, March 4th or Monday, March 5th(depending on time zone) and the first questions, quotes and pictures should be posted on that date.

~*How do I join the Book Club?*~
Just like before, you don't really have to join: there's no list you have to enrol on, no form you have to fill in... Just pick up your copy and read! If you want to start later than October 4th, because you have a project, homework, or you don't have a copy of the book yet, that's okay too. Just read it chapter per chapter, and then bring the chapter thread back on top by posting in it and joining in the discussion.

~*How does the Book Club work?*~
We're reading the book as a group, and chapter by chapter. Between each new chapter we'll discuss, we'll have two weeks time to try and understand it completely. Every fortnight, a new chapter will be up for discussion.
This doesn't mean that once we've moved to a new chapter, the previous chapters will be ignored! You can discuss a question or a quote as long as you like, or - when you start reading a little later - bring older chapters back on top.

The discussion itself will be held in three different threads per chapter:
- The Chapter Thread: this is the main thread for discussion, the basic level if you please. The purpose of this will be to understand the chapter itself (for instance: understand some difficult parts about the creation of the world) and its part in the rest of the story (this is mainly for the chapters that deal with Fëanor and the Silmarils, later on in the book).
- PbHf's Quote of the Week: a classic! PotbellyHairyfoot will pick a quote from the chapter that we can discuss: because it's beautiful, because it's significant or because no one really understands what it means.
- The Master in Mythology Thread (if anyone has a better name ): this thread is meant for those who already know The Hobbit very well, and want to discuss it in great detail. PbHf will lead the discussion there, and the questions in it will mainly deal with the greater picture of Tolkien's mythology and links to 'The Lord of the Rings'.

You're free to post in any thread you like. You don't have to confine yourself to just one type of threads, nor post in every single thread there is .

Another new feature will be the Journey Logbook'-thread, where you can share your personal thoughts about the book and experiences that helped you understand it better. We hope we can make this forum a close community by giving every member a spot to get a little more personal than you can be in the threads!

~*How will the Book Club help me understand The Hobbit better?*~
Not only will you be able to exchange ideas in the discussion threads, we'll also provide you with all the background information we can by gathering the very best of The Council of Elrond and presenting it to you in helpfull topped threads.
- The Hobbit Illustrated will be a topped thread where PbHf will post some illustrations with every chapter we read, just as k did for 'The Lord of the Rings'.
- Tips and Tools will be a thread with useful tips and links to maps, articles, family trees and maybe even external sites (hey, we can't have everything - yet).

~*Are there any rules in the Book Club?*~
Just two:
- No spoilers! This means that you're not allowed to point ahead of things that happen in later chapters. If you feel you must refer to a chapter later in 'The Hobbit' or to other books of Tolkiens besides 'The Lord of the Rings' - like 'Unfinished Tales' or the HoME-series, please place a spoiler alert in bold letters, and always note when the spoiler is over and what the spoiler is for. (For instance: Spoiler for Unfinished Tales - End spoiler). The exception to this rule will be when we specifically ask for information from other works.
- Be politie! You'll find that not every reader is the same: some people just want to understand it, others want to exchange ideas and other still will come up with difficult theories. The point of the 'Master in Mythology' thread is precisely to provide the latter with a place to dig deep. If you find that someone doesn't have your level of understanding (yet), please be kind and explain what you mean in simpler terms. We're here to learn from each other.
If I find that someone is imposing his or her opinion on others, or is acting impolite to people with less knowledge, I will kick you out! (That aside, I'm really nice and easy-going .)
- Only the moderators can post new topics. If you want to see a question added or you have suggestion for a quote, please pm me.

~*Can I contribute to the Book Club?*~
Well, by reading and posting of course! But you're also free to make suggestions for questions and illustrations, so Nienna and I can add them. A good question that is used by me is worth one user point.
We'll also put up a Comments and Suggestions thread where you can point out problems or give us new bright ideas for making this forum even better and... bigger .

If you have any more questions, please pm me and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: The Book Club Info Spot
on: February 13, 2005 03:40
~* Masters of Mythology *~

A New Hope

Fëanor - The Fallen Angel of the Silmarillion

Free Will

Gender Equality?

Melian

The Gift of Death

The lineage of the Trees

The nature of good and evil

Fëanor - the fallen angel of the Silmarillion

"and Men usurped the sunlight"

A New Hope

Fire! Fire! Fire!

And Morgoth Was Pleased

The Fall of Fingolfin

Hidden Evil?

Ar-Pharazon and his seven deadly sins

[Edited on 8/8/2005 by Figwit]
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2009 03:07
Hello! I'm new on the site, so do have to join the book club? I'd love to! Do they read the LOTR books on a schedule and discuss them?

BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: October 20, 2009 02:14
Glamdring...........

If you had read what Figwit wrote in the first post above where you posted your question (not paying attention to the fact that this thread is 4 years old and no one has posted here since 2005) or checked out any of the threads below you in this forum, you could have answered this question yourself before you even asked it.

to quote Figwit
~*How do I join the Book Club?*~
Just like before, you don't really have to join: there's no list you have to enrol on, no form you have to fill in... Just pick up your copy and read!...

As for the bookclub itself, it states on the home page (the one you get when you first open CoE) the following:

Feanor returns; Is Morgoth Ready? - Book Club Update

Updates The CoE Book Club, in our ongoing discussion of the Silmarillion, has now reached Chapter III.13 Of the Return of the Noldor.
Feel free to come and help us discuss what happens when Feanor and Fingolfin return, with their people, to Middle-earth. You can join in the discussion here.

The 'here' they're referring to applies to these two locations (which are the threads directly below where you posted this)

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=32078

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=32077

Try taking the inititative to read and explore the forums and the threads within each forum before you ask unnecessary questions.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 20, 2009 11:46
Yes , Glamdring22, just join the discussion wherever you'd like. If you are just starting the book, you'll find posts concerning the earlier chapters farther down the thread list and on pages 2 and 3. Feel free to post your responses to any chapter whether or not we seem to have moved on.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2009 04:40
thanks! I actually already read the book, but I'd love to re-read it!
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Re: The Book Club Info Spot
on: July 11, 2012 03:49
Hello guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but is the Book Club currently active? I finally have the time to participate and it doesn't appear that the club is reading anything yet.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 15, 2012 03:18
The Book Club is currently in hiatus, but if their seems to be enough interest we are hoping to start up again sometime in the next few months.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2012 08:55
If it does restart will we be discussing The Hobbit?
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2012 11:09
ok, because I wouldn't mind being in it either
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
EruvandeGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2012 03:19
Have y'all decided whether or not to restart the book club
Image Still round the corner there may wait, A new road or a secret gate.~ J. R. R. Tolkien
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: November 21, 2012 05:54
Right now I don't have the time. I'm extar busy at work and with a few commitments.
Some of my activities will be reduced early in the new year and I'll see if I then have the time to restart with 'The Hobbit'.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email