Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
eireen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Overcoming (scripted)
on: April 04, 2005 08:01
((The first time of the co-post between me and Nar ))

Thearl sighed, and once again wiped his eyes carefully, just to make sure there were not any tears left. He doubted that it would help much, since his eyes were so red and swollen, that even the least perceptive person would guess that he had been crying hard. Now, standing in front of Andy's door, Thearl was trying to compose himself for his sister's sake. He actually could not remember if she had ever seen him in a state similar to the one he was in, and guessed that she had not. Therefore he was trying to do everything he could to make himself look a little better, just for her sake. But still, he was now only a shadow of his usual self. The hard emotional ordeal made his proud shoulders, always so proudly straightened, sag. Even Thearl's entire stance was different, not so proud and strong anymore. For the first time in four years it was possible to see how much the Blight and not eating much affected Thearl—it was impossible to tell how thin he was when he was holding himself proud, but now, it was painfully clear how skinny he had become. Finally Thearl knocked on the door. He could not delay that any longer, he knew he could not. And he did not want to delay it any longer either. Because the longer he would wait, the harder it would become, Thearl realised. And besides...he had made up with Bacall, and there was hope in his heart that maybe he would find out that all he was thinking about Rethe and her attitude was wrong. He hoped that it would be so, even if that would mean admitting the mistake he had made. But he would do that gladly if it meant having his little sister back.

The door opened and Andy stood there. He offered Thearl a slight smile of encouragement and held out his hand, beckoning the young man to come inside. "I'm glad you came, Thearl," he said softly. "Rethe is here already, she's in the parlor..."

Thearl entered the house, and just looked at Andy. Suddenly he was feeling so tired, and was not sure if he had enough energy to actually face Rethe.

Andy smiled, seeing Thearl's reluctance. "It'll be alright, son...I've talked with her, she knows everything you told me. I must warn you though, she is very hurt. She has been crying a lot"

Thearl looked at Andy. “So am I,” he said softly, “so am I...” Then he added, “When I was walking here, I was sure I wanted to talk to her. Now I'm not so sure anymore, but I guess that I have to do that...thank you."

Andy nodded. "Yes, you do have to," he said softly. "And you are welcome. I hate to see such pain in a family...it should not be so." He put his hand on Thearl's shoulder. "Would like to get freshened up a bit before you go in? Or are you ready enough?"

Thearl shook his head. “Thank you, but I think I will go and talk to her right now, because if I wait a little longer, then I might just run away," he admitted, and then moved towards the parlor. There was no time to waste.

Andy smiled slightly as he followed Thearl into the parlor. Rethe was there, sitting on the couch with a teacup in her hand. She was not crying, but it was clear that she had been crying pretty hard not too long ago. Her eyes were red and her cheeks were stained from tears. When the men entered she looked up. She didn't say anything, she just looked at Thearl, and seeing him made her tears well up again, though she was able to keep them from falling by biting her lip. She looked at him for a moment, then looked down at the teacup in her hands. She carefully placed it on a table by the couch, then just stared at her lap.

Right now Thearl felt really like turning and running away. He was so tired of it all, and seeing Rethe in that state did not help him at all. He knew she had been crying because of him, because of what he said and did, and even though he felt very hurt because of the way in which she acted this morning, he still could feel guilt filling up his heart at huge speed. He moved slightly forward towards the couch, but still did not say anything. He did not know what to say.

After a moment, and nothing happening, Andy put his hand gently on Thearl's back and led him to the couch. "Sit down, Thearl," he said quietly. "Why don't you begin by telling Rethe your plans for tonight..."

Thearl sat down just as Andy told him to, but when he heard his words, he looked up at the older man, surprised. “My...my plans?” he asked.

Andy nodded. "Yes. Tell her what you told me...about your living conditions..."

Thearl still looked a little confused. Finally he looked at Rethe and said in a soft voice, “I am not coming back home tonight. I have just talked with Devin and he allowed me to stay at his house..."

Rethe shook her head, not understanding. "But why, Thearl? Why would you want to leave home...leave me?"

“I...I just can't go on like this... I need some place where I can rest...find some peace...." Thearl said quietly, not truly able to explain his reasons. He guessed he was not even aware of all of them, but he felt the need to do that move, to leave the house at least for a while.

Rethe still didn't understand. "But...but, Thearl...I don't understand...what happened? I thought we were alright."

“I also thought that we were...but it seems that we are not..." the man said, sighing quietly. "I guess we never were..." he added.

Rethe narrowed her eyebrows. "What do you mean?" she exclaimed. "Thearl...what do you mean we were never alright? I don't understand..."

Thearl looked at her. “I...today, when I heard...I realized that maybe I have...maybe I have never truly known you...it seems to me that I have been living in my own world...and things that I thought were right....things I thought were true...maybe they were not true at all..."

The expression on Rethe's face was just becoming more and more confused. "Thearl...what did you hear? I don't know what you're talking about or what you mean."

"I heard you talking with him...about...about what happened..." Thearl said quietly.

Rethe nodded. She understood that much. "So...you heard that...then what? What did you hear that could make you think you were wrong about me all these years?"

“Can't you see it?” Thearl asked, becoming devastated. “I just...found out that I was wrong...all those years I was so wrong thinking....thinking that you needed my protection...I went on believing that I was doing the right thing, not...not telling you about that...but now it became painfully clear to me, that I needn't have bothered, because you didn't need it at all..."

A tear found its way down Rethe's cheek and her lip trembled. "You couldn't have known, Thearl. You thought you were doing the right thing...you wanted to protect me, and I admire you for that. But how does knowing that cause all this heartbreak? I thought you would be glad to know that I don't hate daddy for what he did, that I still love him...I thought you would be glad..."

“Rethe, I...I just got terribly hurt today, when I heard the way...the way in which you were talking about what happened...about my past..." Thearl said, sighing quietly, and then tried to focus on what he wanted to say, trying to choose the right words to explain everything to her. Because now he wanted to make Rethe understand why he was so hurt, why he reacted the way he did. They needed to be able to trust each other again, they had to keep their close relationship...how could he even think of destroying something so valuable, something so important, which without any exaggeration, had been the cornerstone of his life? “I know, and I understand that...that you may not be able to understand what I have gone through and how much it has hurt me, how many wounds it has left that are still fresh...I don't want you to cry over what happened...or pity me, my dear sister...but I...I wanted to ask you about a little bit of understanding. Because the way in which you talked about it today, the tone of your voice...it hurt me, because it sounded like if you were talking about something ordinary, like split milk...and maybe you really feel it that way...as a thing that doesn't hold much importance...but for me, Rethe, for me that is the most painful thing that has ever happened to me...and to hear it being discussed this way, hurt me more than I can tell..."

He paused for a moment, taking a deep breath before he continued, still looking at Rethe. Pain was visible on his face, and the tone of his voice was earnest, he wanted to let her know how he felt, and what he felt. “For me, my little sister, the past and all those beatings...everything that I had to endure...are the worst memories of my life... they are the past, yes, but they have never truly healed. Almost every day I keep remembering them, they haunt my dreams...sometimes some comments the Mayor makes, bring them forcefully back to my mind...you, my sister, can never know and fully understand what it feels like...?" The man bowed his head as silent tears began to stream down his cheeks, and his voice was shaking slightly. “What it feels like when you are afraid to come back home...and how that is when fear is so strong that you rather choose to sleep in the bushes outside than your own bed...You had the luck never to have heard our mother crying together with me when she was taking care of bloody welts on my back and legs...you cannot know how that feels when your father holds you in such a strong grip that it seems to be breaking your hand with one of his own hands, while viciously beating you with the other..."

Thearl paused, finally looking up at his sister and swallowing hard to be able to carry on. “These...these images, and many more, I keep seeing in my mind...they still hurt, hurt so badly...I still haven't forgotten, I can't forget them no matter how hard I try...and," he said hopefully, locking his sad gaze with Rethe, "I hope that now you are able to understand why it had hurt me so much...so badly...can you?" he asked hesitantly, begging her with his eyes, full of tears, to understand. Now he was holding his breath, waiting for her to answer... If she could not understand him now, after he had laid his bare heart in front of her, then she would never be able to.
Narbeleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 09:32
((here's the second part ))

The whole time Thearl was talking, Rethe just sat silently, listening, not interrupting, letting him get it all out. Tears were streaming down her face by the time he had finished. And when he looked at her, waiting for her answer, she couldn't stand it any more. She broke into sobs and threw her arms around his neck, crying into his shoulder. "Oh, Thearl...I'm so sorry...I never thought...I never really understood...I...I'm sorry..."

And Thearl felt relieved, so much relieved when he was sitting, holding his sister close. He needed her so much, she had been his entire life, and the knowledge that she seemed to understand him now was something incredible. For the first time in all those years she knew everything about him, without any more secrets that needed to be kept away from her. Tears were falling from his eyes freely now, while he hugged his sister even tighter, not willing to let go of her. Ever.

Rethe held onto her brother for a full minute, just crying. But finally she found her voice. There were still some things that bothered her, and she had some questions. "But, Thearl," she said, not moving away from him. "Why did you need to run away? Why couldn't you just tell me this? The knowledge that you thought I don't care...that...hurt so bad, Thearl. Because I do care...I've always cared. How could you think that I don't?" Finally she pulled away and look him in the eyes. The hurt she felt clearly evident in her own eyes.

Thearl met her gaze. “It's just...it is because the last few days were really terrible for me. The past was forcefully pushed back into my life by the Mayor and the way he threatened me. Then Devin found out, Bacall betrayed me, and he told you. And you were hurt, I could feel it, and that hurt me even more, adding to all the pain and hurt accumulating for some time. And today, after I heard that, it was just too much...too much for me to bear...I have lost my faith in everyone and everything around me...I wanted nothing but death..." he admitted.

"Thearl..." Rethe said quietly, more sobs escaping. "I have faith in you...I've always had faith in you, and I love you, and I care about you so much." She paused and put her arms around him again. When she spoke again her voice was quiet. "We've always been able to talk about everything together...no matter what it was. If one of us was hurt or confused...about anything...we could always rely on the other to help us through it. I don't want that to change...I don't want us to grow apart."

“Neither do I,” Thearl said very quietly, hugging his sister close. What he was saying was meant only for her. “I have understood that now...and I apologize... I'm not acting as usual, since I have no more strength...I'm sorry, my little sister, for hurting you..."

"It's alright, Thearl," Rethe whispered. "I forgive you...but..." she paused and swallowed hard. "Will you...could you forgive me for not fully understanding? I didn't know...but that doesn't mean I don't care..."

“I can't forgive it,” Thearl said softly, “because I have nothing to forgive...you couldn't have known, and I was wrong to draw my own conclusions too quick, without even asking you.” It was not an easy thing to admit that he had been wrong, but it was the only right thing to do, and Thearl was aware of that. “And that is something I won't forgive myself, and no pain or trouble is any excuse here..."

"Are you still going to move out?" Rethe asked. She pulled away and looked at him again, worry in her gaze. "Are you still going to leave me?"

“I...I don't know...” he said softly, now not entirely sure what he should do. “But moving out could never mean truly leaving you, my little sister..."

"What do you mean?"

“Even if I were to live somewhere else, we still would be seeing each other a lot..."

"But why would you need to leave?" Rethe begged. "Why would you want to leave? I don't understand."

“Look at me, my little sister...” Thearl said softly. “What do you see?”

Rethe leaned back and looked at him for a moment. "I see my brother, whom I love more than anyone in the world...I see him broken...tired...only a shell of what he once was." She paused. "But that doesn't matter, Thearl. I need you with me...and I know that we can get through whatever comes our way, together." She paused again. "Look at me, Thearl...what do you see?"

Thearl smiled slightly at her words, and tried to lift their spirits a little. “Nice try, my little sister, but no matter how many times you will ask this question, my answer will always be the same—I see my little sister..." But then, turning more serious, he said. "I think I will stay at Devin's for a day or two—I need some good rest and time to think...but then, I guess, I can come back to you..."

Rethe smiled slightly, even though her lip trembled. "Please do," she said softly. "I couldn't bare having you gone...I would miss you so terribly." She put her arms around his neck again and whispered into his ear. "I love you so much, Thearl."

“I love you too, my little sister...” he said softly, hugging her close. He felt so much better now that he knew everything was all right between him and Rethe, and he was feeling very tired, he needed sleep, and sitting so with his sister, on a comfortable couch, made him feel even more sleepy. And he was beginning to feel very hungry, since he did not even eat breakfast.

After a few minutes Rethe finally opened her eyes and pulled away from her brother. She wiped her eyes, then smiled and reached up her hand to wipe some of his tears way too. Then she glanced over to where Andy had been, but the man was gone. They hadn't even noticed when he left the room. She turned back to Thearl and smiled again.

Thearl smiled, slightly, catching himself that he had almost fallen asleep. “What will you do today, hmm?” he asked her softly.

Rethe sighed and shrugged. "I don't know...Thearl?" she asked hesitantly. "Could we...could we spend some time together? Could we walk by the lake and just talk...about anything and everything, but not the Blight or elves, or you and daddy...but just be together and talk, like we used to do? Could we do that?" She looked pleadingly up at him, a little afraid of his answer.

Thearl shook his head slightly. “I have to go back to Devin pretty soon now, unless you want him to run all over Esgaroth trying to find me, which he had threatened to do. And I need some sleep, or I will fall asleep on my feet soon...but if you give me just two or three hours, then we can go together for as long a walk as you wish. Will you agree?" he asked, and then added, "And I'm not going to the Council tonight, so we wouldn't have to come back too quick."

Rethe swallowed and looked down at her lap. "Could...could I go with you?" she asked. The truth was she didn't want to be separated from him right then. She wanted the comfort of his presence. She was afraid that if she was left alone she would just cry. And she was tired of crying. Tired of the pain of tears. She wanted to be happy again...and she was always happiest when she was with her brother.

Thearl looked at her. “Of course you could, if you want to. But I'm afraid that I can't stop myself from sleeping..."

Rethe looked up and smiled with relief. "Then I will sleep beside you," she said. "Like when we were younger...do you remember?"

Thearl suddenly smiled brightly as his mind filled with that memory, a happy one for a change. "Of course I do. That would be just great," he said, and then kissed her on her cheek.

Rethe smiled and stood up, taking Thearl by the hands and pulling him up with her. "We should find Andy...I think he decided to leave us alone..."

Thearl stood up, and then looked around. "Yes, we should find him. I owe him so much...he stopped me from making the worst mistakes in my life...and he has given me so much..."

"I know what you meant now," Rethe said. "When you said he was an extraordinary man. He is..."

Thearl smiled, nodding. "Yes, he is. Do you like him?"

"I do, very much," Rethe said, threading her hand through the crook of Thearl's arm, she smiled up at him.

"I am glad to hear that, my little sister, because today Andy became very important to me, very close..." Thearl said softly.

"Today?" Rethe said. "What do you mean?"

Thearl looked at Rethe, trying to think of a good way to explain everything to his sister. "You see, today, when I needed much support, Andy was there for me. I trust that man with my life. And since he has no son, and I have no real father, he agreed to take that place in my heart," Thearl said, smiling weakly. "He's like a real father to me..."

Rethe looked up at her brother, a smile on her face and a single tear in her eye. "Thearl...I'm...I'm so happy for you...it's what you've always wanted..."

Thearl nodded. "It is..." he smiled, pulling his sister into his embrace and kissing her on her cheek. "And that is why I am so glad to hear that you like him too. Now let's go and look for him, alright?"

"Alright," Rethe grinned, and, still with her arm around her brother, they went into the kitchen in search of Andy.

They found him there, sitting at the table with a cup of tea. He was leaning back in his chair, looking up at the ceiling as if lost in his thoughts. When they entered he looked at them and smiled when he saw how close they were to each other. "Well, this must mean everything has been worked out," he said.

Thearl smiled. "It has," he said softly. "Thanks to you."

Andy smiled and stood up. "I'm just glad I could be of some use," he said. He came around the table and put his hand on Thearl's shoulder. "So, you know what you're going to do now?"

Thearl nodded. "We're going to get some rest first, and then we are going on a long walk. And in a couple of days I think I will go back home."

"That's grand," Andy said. Then he looked at Rethe. "You treat this brother of yours well, little girl. He's been through a lot."

Rethe smiled slightly and nodded. "I will," she said, squeezing her brother closer to her.

Then Andy looked at Thearl again. "And you treat your little sister well, young man. She is slowly learning about you, and realizing that her brother is not who she always thought he was can be a hard thing to cope with...just be understanding and patient."

Thearl nodded. "I was thinking a lot about what you had told me while I was on my way here, and now I am sure I will not make the same mistake again," he said earnestly, looking at his new father. It felt so good to know that he finally had someone who cared for him in that way, one of his biggest dreams ever had come true. He had a father—he would have to get used to that thought, but it was already bringing him much joy.

"Well, good," Andy said. "Will you stay for tea? Or do you need to get going?"

Thearl looked at Rethe with a silent question in his eyes. He was very tired and would like to sleep as soon as he could, but if his little sister would like to stay for tea with Andy, then he guessed he could manage to stay awake a little longer.

Rethe studied Thearl for a moment. She could see how tired he was. He had been through a lot today already and it was barely past noon. She knew he needed some rest. She turned her gaze to Andy. "Thank you, Andy, that's kind of you to offer. But I think we should be going...Thearl needs his rest."

Thearl smiled weakly at Andy and then looked with gratitude at his little sister. "I'm sorry that we won't stay...but I can barely stay awake now, and really need some rest..."

Andy waved it away. "Oh, that's no problem at all. You two have a good remainder of the day, and, Thearl, you get some good sleep. I'll see you both again soon I'm sure." He smiled. "Let me walk you to the door..."

Thearl smiled as he followed Andy to the door with his sister at his side. "Thank you, for everything," he said softly. "And have a good day too," he added, and then briefly embraced Andy, hoping that the other man did not mind.

Andy smiled and returned Thearl's embrace, hugging him strongly and slapping him lightly on the back. "You take care, Thearl. And come by and see me soon, I'll be thinking about you."

"I promise I will. Most likely tomorrow," he said softly, smiling. It felt so good to have a father at last. "Good bye," he added, putting his arm around his sister.

"Good bye," Andy said, then he looked at Rethe and put his hand to her cheek. "I would love to see you again also, little lady," he said. "So make sure you get your brother to bring you once in a while."

Rethe smiled. "I'll make sure of that," she said. "Good bye, Andy, and thank you so much for everything."

"You are most welcome," Andy said quietly.

Thearl smiled, glad to see that Rethe really liked Andy, and the man also seemed to like her. "Come, my little sister, or you will have to carry me to Devin's on your back..."

Rethe laughed, and with a last wave to Andy they began walking away. Rethe rested her head against Thearl's shoulder as they walked, so glad to have him at her side again.

"I'm so glad to have you here, my little sister," Thearl said, smiling, and then kissed her on the top of her head. "I love you so much..."

"And I love you, Thearl," she whispered.

Thearl just hugged her closer, and so the siblings made their way towards Devin's house. Together.

Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 03:02
((Bit of an update on Ran and a response to Eireen's post))

Raniean slept late for once, breaking every habit he had ever set for himself in his long lifetime. He was woken late in the morning by the combined efforts of the sun shining in his eyes and repeated poundings on his door. He sat up, his long hair falling away from his sleep-flushed face, and winced at the light. “Ai,” he murmured, shading his eyes. “Too bright…”

The pounding started again, and Ran scowled at the door. “I’m coming, I’m coming!” he called at whoever was at the door. “Wait a moment…” He slid his long legs out of bed and groaned. After the scout left the night before, he had remained awake and working for several hours until his drooping eyelids forced him into bed for a long night’s rest. His mouth felt drier than the plains of Gorgoroth; he paused by the nightstand to grab a mouthful of water before answering the door.

“Yes?” he asked, managing to change the word from a snarl to a civil question at the last instant.

“Sorry to bother you, Captain.” The pounder was a young messenger. He didn’t look like he had run all the way from somewhere far away, so Ran was less inclined to be forgiving at the moment. “This message just came in for you, and the messenger said it was important you get it immediately.” The messenger sniffed. “It’s from Rivendell.” He proffered the message as he said that, his body language saying he didn’t think something from Rivendell deserved the attention of one of the senior captains.

Ran was suddenly wide-awake. “Rivendell?” He took the letter and looked at the writing on the outside. He didn’t recognize the handwriting, but it was definitely addressed to ‘Captain Raniean, Border Guard’. He flipped it over to look at the seal and his whole face lit up with the brightness of his smile. “Ah…”

The messenger cleared his throat, and Ran focused on him again. “Ah, yes,” he said, remembering that messengers were usually given a small tip to properly thank them. “One moment…” He slipped back inside his room, setting the letter reverentially on the bed as he passed it, and grabbed his money purse. After a moment’s deliberation, he picked out a copper piece. It would have been silver, as the message was of great importance to him, but the messenger had been unbelievably rude. Stepping back out, the captain handed the money to the messenger and closed his door before the messenger could say anything.

Sitting slowly on his bed, Ran picked up the letter and turned it over so the seal faced up. He had only seen this seal once, but it tended to stick in the memory: the seal of the house of Lord Golion, his adopted Ada and father of his gwador, Arthion. “Now, who is writing me?” he wondered aloud. “Is it Ada or Arthion?” He sat staring at the envelope for a moment longer before laughing self-depreciatingly. “Well, I’ll never know if I don’t open it,” he said, sliding a finger under the seal and breaking it.

The handwriting revealed inside the folded paper was neat and firm; exactly what Ran would have expected of his adopted Ada. The letter read as follows:

My dearest ion,

It has been a while since I heard from you last, and my father's heart is worried about you. How are you, my son? Every day I pray to the Valar so that they keep you safe and bring happiness into your life. We all miss you greatly here in Imladris, especially Arthion. He misses you so much that he cannot find a place for himself anymore. And since his friend invited him to come to Mirkwood, he decided to accept this invitation. I don't know if you heard about it yet, but Arthion is coming to Mirkwood, and he is going to spend a few next years there. In fact, I think that he will have just started his journey by the time you will receive this letter.

And thus, ion-nín, I wanted to ask you to take care of your gwador. I know that Arthion is not an elfling anymore, but you know how fragile he really is. He received as much healing in Imladris as he could, but now he just needs to find his courage inside of his heart. I know he has it, and that he is strong, but all this is still weak and delicate. Therefore I beg you to protect him as best as you can when he is in Mirkwood. Maybe he could even stay with you in your house? This way you would be able to spend more time together.

I also wanted to inform you that I am going to visit you and your brother in some time, and maybe will even come to stay in Mirkwood for some time with your mother, so that our family could be reunited again. I really hope that this would be possible, since I miss you so much, ion-nín...

Until that day, I will keep on thinking about the both of you, and I hope that at least the two of you will be together soon, and happy to be reunited.

With the best wishes,

Your ada.

Ran smiled and closed his eyes. “Arthion…” he whispered. “So you have decided at last to come and visit me. I am glad.”

‘Glad’ was a bit of an understatement. If it were not for the fact that he liked to be considered sane by those under him, he would have turned cartwheels down every hallway there was in Eryn Lasgalen, whooping with joy. He hadn’t seen Arthion in years, and he missed his gwador deeply. Beyond that, Lord Golion himself might come as well, though later than Arthion. In the place of the gleeful celebration he wanted to show, the captain contented himself with a soft squeal and threw himself back to lie on his back on his bed, grinning foolishly up at the ceiling.

“Oh, do I have preparations to make!” With that, he jumped to his feet and changed quickly into a clean uniform. When he was on patrol, he never wore uniforms: they tended to get ruined too easily around him, and the seamstresses had asked him to please wear his own clothes when there was a chance that someone would get hurt. He tended to use his tunic or cloak to staunch blood flows, and blood was the hardest stain to get out. To make up for not wearing a uniform officially, he wore them when he was on palace duty, which he was during the feast.

Grabbing his cloak and throwing it about his slender shoulders, the slim captain left his small house and headed for the main palace. Though he tried to keep his joy down to a containable level, he couldn’t resist temptation when he came to an empty corridor. He turned three cartwheels in a row, landing with a muffled laugh. He didn’t whoop with joy, as he knew any extra sound would bring someone running. Once he had got that out of his system, he headed for the main gates, knowing Arthion would have to pass through them first.

He wasn’t precisely in charge of the gate guards, as such, but they all knew and respected him and would usually do what he wanted, within reason. They straightened up as he entered the small guardhouse above the massive gates and saluted. “Greetings,” he said, nodding to each of the young guards.

“Greetings, captain,” the most senior of them replied. “What can we do for you?”

“I’m expecting an important guest within the next few weeks,” Ran said, leaning comfortably against the edge of a table. “His name is Arthion, son of Golion of Rivendell. When he arrives, I want him directed immediately to my house.” His piercing green gaze swept from guard to guard, quelling any desire to laugh in anyone. “This is very important to me,” he added very quietly, “and there will be repercussions if he is misdirected.”

The guards looked at each other. Finally, the senior one reached for a piece of chalk and marked on the blackboard kept in the guardhouse ‘Arthion of Rivendell to be directed to Captain Raniean’s house. Important.’ This was, Ran knew, so that anyone who was on guard when Arthion arrived would know what to do with the strange blonde elf.

“What does he look like, sir?” the senior one asked, setting the chalk back where it belonged. “In case he comes on our watch,” he added in answer to the question in Ran’s arched eyebrow.

“You will know him,” Ran replied calmly. “He is a bit shorter than me, as most are, and he has blonde hair like Prince Legolas’.” He knew that not many elves came to Mirkwood with blonde hair; it was something of a rarity nowadays.

“Blonde hair, yes sir. Is there anything else we can do for you?”

Ran shook his head and pushed himself up again. “No, I think that will be all. Thank you for your help.” With that, he exited the guardhouse and headed down the stairs to the main courtyard.
kellymulder
CoE Volunteer & Seagull of Ulmo
Send Message
on: April 12, 2005 11:28
((I am sorry it took me so long to write it but I had a very busy week until now and that combined with a small writersblock doesn;t really contribute to a fast post... anyway, I have it finished, it's a little meeting between Caelyn and Devin, enjoy))

Tears rolled down her face, leaving wet trails on her cheeks and chin, many tears had been shed by her already, but still Caelyn was unable to stop crying. She did not know how many hours she had been sitting there, in the dry grass under the bridge when she suddenly heard footsteps. She looked up to see who had come to see her… To her great shock it was Devin…

Caelyn didn’t know what to say and she didn’t know if she felt happy he had come, for she thought him to be the only person she might speak with right now; or to feel bad because of it… If she wanted to win him for her, she had to look good every time they met. And sitting under a bridge, wearing your shaggiest clothes and with your face red and swollen of tears was not exactly very attractive.

Devin didn’t know what to do for a moment; it was a very uneasy situation for him. Should he go to her and comfort her? Or should he just leave her alone? He could imagine she only wanted to be by herself right now…
He didn’t know what grieved her so, and he wasn’t too sure he wanted to know… there was so much on his mind already… he didn’t feel too good himself and he already had a hard time trying to cheer up Thearl.
But still he liked Caelyn, he could feel the two of them might even become friends someday, and he also owed her a lot for the way the girl had helped him yesterday. Plus, he didn’t know if she had noticed him already; what if she wanted his help and he would just walk away? He didn’t want her to think that he would just leave her alone… that he didn’t care about his friends…

Caelyn tried to control herself; she swallowed heavily and wiped her tears away forcefully. Then she looked up at Devin “Hi there.” she said, trying to make her voice sound not too hoarse.

Devin sighed softly, so she had spotted him indeed. He hesitated for a moment and then started to walk towards the young woman. “Hi…” he said softly; he wanted to ask her if she was alright, but it was quite obvious she wasn’t so he tried to think of something else to say. He decided to ask what he wanted to know “Is there anything I can do for you Caelyn, or do you want to be by yourself right now?”

Caelyn didn’t know what she wanted… she was tired of sitting alone and crying though she wasn’t sure if she wanted company. She didn’t know if she was able to tell Devin about what happened and she didn’t know if he would like to hear such a story right now. He seemed pretty tired and worn himself…
But still… he offered her his help and she didn’t want to reject him. “That’s a sweet offer, Devin… and I really appreciate it. Maybe you can just sit with me for a while… I had quite a rough morning…”

Devin nodded and slowly walked towards the red-curled woman, he sat himself down next to her a little hesitantly. “Do you want to tell me what has happened?” He asked softly, while he put his arm gently around her shoulder. It was not that he wanted to touch her… he always did it to comfort someone, he had done it a lot to Thearl lately.

Caelyn felt the warm presence of Devin’s arm around her shoulder and sighed quietly; it felt great that she finally had a friend she could trust with her sorrows. Somehow she knew her fears and grieves would be safe with Devin, as safe as his arm around her shoulder. “My father was very ill during the night, but he survived it, which was beyond all my hopes… When I checked on him this morning he was soundly asleep. So I let Amanda go to her friend’s house and started working on the fields myself.” She paused and took a deep breath, she noticed that Devin was looking at her with an intense look, filled with pity and pain for her. “But when I came back for a little lunch break later this morning… I heard him cough again… it was so terrible… When I opened the door of his bedroom he was so… unlike the man I have known all my life… I sat by him, all the time, and he kept asking for me when he wasn’t coughing although I told him I was there for him and that I was listening… He said strange things… about that he knew something right now… and that I would understand later. He seemed pretty good when he said that… very awake and reasonable… I wonder what he meant by it.” Caelyn stared in front of her thinking of her father’s last words, then she shook her head. “And then… he passed.” Silent tears slid down her cheeks again and she buried her hands in her face, no longer able to show more of pain at that moment.

Devin felt really bad for Caelyn as it was obvious that the death of her father had shocked and hurt her a lot. He knew, out of his own experience, there was nothing he could say right now that would make things better… the only thing he could do was listen and be there for her at this moment. He patted her slightly on the back “I am sorry for your loss Caelyn, and I know that this is not something you want to hear right now, but I know the difficulties you are facing, I have lost both my parents at a young age… I know what it is to deal with…” He hesitated a little before he continued “if you ever feel the need to talk about it, you can always come to look for me, I will be there to try to help you out…”

Caelyn felt her heart melt for the kindness this man showed to a woman he had only know for a day. “Thank you for your kind words, and thank you for listening… it meant a lot to me, more than you could possibly know…”

Devin smiled at her, “there is no need to thank me, just consider it as a sign of friendship.”

Caelyn smiled weakly and stood up “I really appreciate what you have done for me. I think I should go home now, and prepare things… I also need to get Amanda.. she has to know…”

Devin stood up as well “Good luck with everything, and let me know when you need me… Take care.”

Together they walked away from the riverside “Thanks again, and take care as well… don’t forget to eat, I do not want you to faint on my floor again.” Caelyn said in the attempt to make a joke even though she was serious about the fact that Devin should eat more. “I am going this way now, I will see you soon, I think.” Caelyn said as she pointed at the bridge that led over the water. “Bye.”

“Yes I guess so.” Devin said… “goodbye.” And with this words he turned around and started to walk to the shed… his fun night with Thearl seemed a lot less attractive at the moment, this bad news was just a little more than he could take today. But still he was determined to be there for his best friend and to cheer him up a little.

While thinking about his friend, Devin reached the shed and started messing around until he found what he wanted, he even found some other things he had almost forgotten about… A small smile spread on Devin’s lips as he gathered his memories of better times and started to carry them towards his old house. His spirit had lightened a bit because of the items he had found, and even though he was still deep in thought when he reached the door of his house… the smile, however small it was, didn’t leave his lips anymore.

Caelyn also felt a little better when she walked back towards the range… speaking everything out to Devin had helped her to gain power for everything she had to do right now. It would still be hard, she had no doubt about that… but maybe she would be able to get through it somehow…

Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 10:45
(Back to my elves)

Aerandir had risen early, with the sun. Dressing and grabbing a bit of food from the kitchen in passing, he made his way to the stables. Galdor gave an excited cry and tossed his head at the sight of his master. Aerandir smiled, entering the stall. He patted the horse on the neck and held out an apple for him from the kitchen. Galdor munched gratefully as Aerandir led him from the stall and out of the stables. Standing the horse in an open spot, he began to brush the dark coat and hum a quiet tune. Galdor's ears turned back to listen to the song. Once finished brushing, Aerandir cleaned out his hooves and brushed the mane and tail. The task took over an hour, time that Aerandir was more then willing to spend with his faithful friend. After putting Galdor back in the stall and tossing him another apple, he washed his hands and arms in a bucket of clean water and headed back into the halls.

On his way back to his rooms, he encountered a messanger looking for him. The elf handed him some papers and bowed quickly before leaving. Aerandir sighed, always there was work to be done. After browsing the papers, he learned that this task was not so difficult, he was asked to present some information. Turning toward the library to search for what he needed, he saw in the distance Aerhiril walking about almost aimlessly. He called out to her, "Good day mellon nin. What are you doing in these halls so far from the grander sights?" He came up before her and paused to speak with her for a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainuial tried to escape the house as quickly as she could in the morning. Her attempts were unsuccessful however, because her mother and sister met her in the kitchen and forced Rainuial to listen to every detail from the evenings dinner. Rainuial sat at the table, her attentions focused on the light breakfast in front of her that she munched at while the story went on. She didn't even know how long they had kept her, but once it was over, she left the house as quickly as she could without being rude.

Once out of sight of the house, she lept into the trees and made her way toward the palace among the interwoven branches of the close trees. As she caught sight of the main gate and the guards on duty, she grinned slyly, getting as close as she could before leaping down from the branches right before them. Both guards caught unaware, drew their swords and held them ready before they realized it was Rainuial and not some threat. "Did I get you that time?" she chided.

"Rainuial, you know better then to surprise us like that." one of them said to her.

"You know I couldn't resist." she laughed, "Just keeping you lads on your toes is all." She passed by them as they gave heavy sighs. She giggled to herself at having gotten the best of them. It was then she spotted Raniean not far away, seeming to have been leaving from the gates also. She gave a call out and started toward him at a jog, glad to see someone she knew.

kellymulder
Send Message
on: April 22, 2005 09:21
((cowritten by me, Nar and Eireen enjoy ))

Thearl smiled slightly as he and Rethe approached the door of Devin's house. His friend would have a huge surprise when he saw that Rethe had come with him, of that Thearl was sure. He looked at his sister. "Ready to make a surprise to Devin?" Thearl asked.

"He is not expecting me, is he?" Rethe asked. She smiled slightly. "I hope he likes surprises."

"Me too," Thearl said, grinning, and then knocked on the door. "This will be priceless," he whispered. "Just watch him closely..."

Rethe grinned and bit her lip to keep from laughing.

"Shh...be quiet or you'll spoil the fun," Thearl said, though he had a hard time trying not to laugh himself.

Devin hurried through the empty house, his arms full with what others would call clutter, though to Devin, and he hoped to Thearl as well...it were priceless memories. He entered the kitchen and dropped the items on the table, then he heard someone knocking on the door. That had to be Thearl, he thought. Devin hoped that the talk with Bacall had cleared up Thearl's mind a bit…he couldn't stand his friend being this desperate. Quickly he hid the precious memories in a closet, he would take them out and surprise Thearl with it later on. Only he didn't see that he forgot one of the items, a doll with a broken leg was still on the kitchen table.

Devin hurried back to open the door. As he opened it he saw, to his enormous surprise, Rethe and Thearl standing in front of it, both smiling and grinning happily. "Err...hello...Thearl..." he felt blood going to his cheeks. Great! He thought, why? Why did he have to blush? "Hi, Rethe..." He added in a softer voice. "What a surprise..."

And that was the end of Thearl's ability of stopping himself from bursting out laughing. "Hello, Devin," he finally managed, shaking with laughter.

Rethe laughed too and hugged Devin. "Was it really a surprise?" she asked. "I just thought I would come along with Thearl...I hope you don't mind."

"No, sure I don't mind...I was just surprised." He reddened even more when Rethe hugged him, her soft body pressed to his for a moment. "I didn't expect you two to come together, after everything that happened. But come in, I'll make you some tea."

"Thank you..." Rethe said, pulling away and looking to her brother.

Thearl did not say anything, as he just stood, watching Devin carefully. He had noticed something which had really disturbed him, and he was sure he would have to discuss that with Devin later, when they were alone.

"Come on, Thearl," Rethe said, tugging on his hand.

Thearl followed his sister, but he was still eyeing Devin carefully. He asked himself quietly if what he had seen was really there, but then, it surely was. Devin was still blushing, and for sure he was not blushing because of him. And that left only Rethe...

Devin lead the two of them into the kitchen. "So, I assume you've cleared the air between yourselves?" he asked when he felt he had got a grip on himself again.

Rethe didn't say anything, deciding to let Thearl answer that question.

"Yes, we did," Thearl said, and then his gaze landed on the doll sitting on the table. "What is..." he began, and then moved forward to block the item from Rethe's sight, looking questioningly at Devin. "So, will you make some time?" he added hastily, hoping that Rethe did not notice his
earlier question.

"Will I make some time? Time for what?" Devin asked, frowning, not completely understanding what Thearl meant.

Thearl almost hit himself on his head. "Tea, I meant tea," he said quickly, blushing. He was so busy trying to hide the doll that he did not notice that he was rambling without making any sense at all.

Rethe giggled and looked at Thearl. "That was funny," she said. "What was that about?"

Devin looked at Thearl, wondering if he had gone crazy. "Yeah...sure I'll make..." He stopped as he saw the reason why Thearl was acting so weird. The doll! Rethe's doll! It was still on the kitchen table!

"Oh, it's nothing, really," Thearl said quietly, looking at Rethe, while at the same time he moved the doll with one hand behind his back. "I just got lost in my thoughts and wasn't paying attention to what I was saying..."

Rethe noticed Thearl's movement. "What are you doing?" she asked, trying to see behind him. "What was that?"

"Oh, nothing," Thearl said, taking a step back. "Maybe you'll help Devin with the tea?"

"Thearl..." Rethe said, her tone warning slightly. "Come on, what are you hiding?" She tried to go around him to see for herself.

Devin quickly moved towards the sink and grabbed the kettle. "Can you look for some tea bags Rethe? I'm sure there have to be some in the small closet behind your back." Devin said, hoping he could distract her.

"You heard Devin," Thearl said, not giving her any chance to see what he was holding.

Rethe grabbed Thearl's arm, trying to force him to show her what he was hiding. "Oh no you don't!" she said. "It's too late now, I know you're hiding something, now what is it?"

"I won't show you," Thearl said, taking a quick step back, so that Rethe, surprised by the sudden action, had to let go of his arm. "Devin," Thearl said, asking for help from his friend.

"No, you'll never see it," Devin said with a small grin. He walked towards Thearl, ready to stop Rethe if she was going to try to do anything to see the thing Thearl was hiding.

Rethe lunged at her brother again, grabbing his arm, she tried to pull it around so she could see, but he was pretty strong and held his arm in place.

"Rethe, you must understand, it's something private, and it'd make Devin very uncomfortable if you saw it," Thearl said. In the end it was Devin's fault they were in trouble now, so he could pay this way. But where from did he got that doll in the first place?

Rethe tried to dodge past her brother. If she couldn't pull his arm around, then she would go around herself...

"Devin!" Thearl exclaimed, urging his friend to do something to stop her.

Devin understood the hint, it was time for him to play...He pulled up a sad expression. "Rethe please...don't..." he said.

Rethe paused for a second and looked back at Devin, confused. "What? Why?" she asked.

Thearl decided to help. "Rethe, he can't tell you what it is, since it'd make him as uncomfortable as if you actually saw it, don't you think? Give him a break..."

Rethe smiled mischievously. "It would make him uncomfortable?" She said. "All the more reason to see what it is..." And she tried to dodge behind Thearl again.

"Oh, don't!" Thearl said, moving towards the door. Rethe followed him, glad to play this game, still trying to reach his arms, which he held behind his back the whole time.

"Rethe please don't...it...it is my...my dairy I left on the table. It is nothing of your business," Devin said in a dramatic voice.

Thearl looked seriously at Rethe, taking a step backwards just in case she still wanted to see it.

Rethe laughed. "Your diary?" she said. "Give it to me, Thearl!" she lunged at him again, wrapping both arms around him and grabbing the item he held in his hands. But he wouldn't let go. "That doesn't feel like a diary," she said.

"Aww..." Thearl exclaimed, and broke free out of her hold. "Devin!" he said, retreating to the door, and pushing it open with his leg.

Devin ran after Thearl and opened the door further so Thearl could escape with the doll. And that was what Thearl did, he just ran away from the kitchen, and towards Devin's room. How did it come to that? Devin closed the door immediately after Thearl so Rethe was unable to follow her brother.

Rethe tried to push past Devin so she could follow her brother, but Devin was blocking the door. "Come on, Devin, let me through..."

"No, I won't..." Devin said earnestly.

Rethe reached for the door handle, trying to push past. "Come on, Devin," she said again. "You two are acting like children..."

"And you're not? You should see yourself, Rethe, you look exactly like a curious twelve-year-old," Devin said, smiling slightly.

Rethe looked Devin in the eye, trying to think of something that would make him lose his concentration enough so she could slip past him. Finally she grinned, then stood on her tiptoes and kissed him quickly, right on the mouth.

Devin leaned against the door, following Rethe carefully with his eyes to make sure she didn't escape. Then he saw Rethe stretching towards him. What the...what was she trying to do?! Suddenly he felt her soft lips pressed against his own. Panic, love and happiness ran through his veins. Did she...did she really like him? Was this really happening? He couldn't believe it.

In the meantime, Thearl opened the window of Devin's bedroom, and after checking that no one was following him, he hid the doll in the bushes just outside the window that once had been full of flowers, and now were only a sad, yellowish reminder of their former glory. Then he closed the
window, and went back to the kitchen.

But before Thearl managed to announce his comeback, he saw something which made him stop dead in his steps, and staring wide-eyed at the scene in front of his eyes. They were kissing! Devin and Rethe were kissing!

Her distraction had achieved the desired effect. Devin was quite shocked, and she was able to push past him before he had recovered his senses, but she didn't get far before running headlong into Thearl. She nearly fell backwards from the force of hitting him. But Thearl managed to catch her, overcoming his initial surprise as she hit him. Rethe was breathing heavily and laughing so hard she couldn't catch a breath even if she wanted to. "Where is it, Thearl?" she managed, realizing he didn't have it with him anymore.

But Thearl was not laughing at all. He just looked at Devin and at Rethe. "What was that about?" he asked quietly.

Devin still stood their, shocked, surprised, and then angry when he realized Rethe had just used it to fool him. Unable to move, he watched Rethe and Thearl talk.

"What was what?" Rethe asked, at first not understanding. "Come on, Thearl, where'd you hide it?"

"Why did you kiss Devin?" Thearl asked his question more precisely this time, able to see how bad his friend was now feeling. They would have to talk later about it, but still he did not find what Rethe did funny at all.

Rethe stopped and looked back at Devin, seeing him still standing there in some sort of shock. "I...I don't know...I needed to get past him, I needed a distraction...is there a problem?" she didn't understand why they were so upset about it.

"And you think it was right to do so?" Thearl asked. He was feeling really sorry for his friend.

Devin stared at Rethe, still unable to believe what she had just done to him. It was a joke? A distraction? How could she play him like that? Didn't she have any feelings at all?

"It was just a playful kiss, Thearl," Rethe said. "I didn't mean anything by it. Friends can kiss each other can't they? And Devin is one of my closest friends, more like a brother to me. I don't see what the problem is..."

Thearl shook his head—it was hopeless. Surely she could not see what she did. So, not wishing to talk about it any longer, so that his friend would not feel even worse, Thearl said finally, "Let's get some tea."

Rethe sighed in exasperation, then nodded.

"So, let's move back into the kitchen," Thearl said, and then waited for Rethe to go first, before turning to Devin. "Are you alright, my friend?"

Devin sighed and tried to get a grip again. He still felt confused and angry but he didn't show it. He had to act right now, and luckily for him he was a good actor. He knew Thearl knew what was going on but that was something he could deal with later on. "I'm fine, Thearl, there's nothing wrong," he said.

"I'm sorry," Thearl said, placing his palm on Devin's shoulder. "Let's go into the kitchen," he added quietly.

"Yeah, I promised to make tea." Devin said grinning. He could feel Thearl's concern and the questions he wanted to ask. With a soft whisper he asked, "Where did you put the doll?"

"Outside the window...though where did you take her from?"

"I found her in the shed; I thought you would like to see it again… of course I didn’t know you would bring your sister with you, but I'll tell you about it later. Rethe is waiting for us, let's go," Devin said in a hurried voice.

Thearl nodded, hoping that Rethe did not overhear anything they had said.

Rethe was sitting in the kitchen, tapping her fingers on the table impatiently. "Are you two coming?" she called.

"Yes, we're coming," Thearl called back.

As they got back into the kitchen Devin quickly made some tea and put it into three mugs. He placed them in front of his friends and sat down himself.

"So," Rethe said, sniffing the contents of her mug before taking a sip. "Are either of you going to tell me what that thing was you were hiding?" Thearl shook his head. "Why not?" Rethe asked. "Though I can probably guess what it was, since I got a pretty good feel of it at one point..."

"Because it was a personal thing." Devin replied.

"I'd say," Rethe laughed. "Since I know what it is..." she looked up at the ceiling and sipped her tea.

"You don't," Thearl said.

"Why then, do you insist on seeing it, if you already know what it is?" Devin answered.

"A very good point," Thearl added, smiling.

Rethe laughed. "Because, I want to see exactly what it looks like, and I want to have the image of the two of you holding one seared in my memory forever!" she laughed again.

Thearl looked at his sister. She really seemed to know what he was hiding. Devin gave Thearl a worried look, she knew...he thought.

Rethe laughed again at the looks the two men gave. "That's right, I do know. I felt it behind your back, Thearl...a pretty old, ragged thing I must say..."

Devin sighed in relief, she didn't seem mad at all. Despite the thing she had just done to him, and he was still angry about that, he didn't want to upset her.

"Well...so what will you say about that?" Thearl asked finally.

"Thearl, why in the Dragon's name do you and Devin have a doll in your possession?" she laughed, still not able to believe it.

"It's not my house," Thearl said.

"But I have a feeling the two of you are in this together," Rethe said, giving each of them a knowing look.

Thearl looked at Devin. "Maybe we are, or maybe we aren't..."

Devin just nodded, he didn't want to tell Rethe the story, it was so...stupid.

"Oh come on," Rethe said, rolling her eyes. "The way you two were protecting each other. I'm sure you're in on it together."

Devin sighed "...Who wants more tea?" he asked.

"Not me," Rethe said. "I want some answers to my questions. You really think I'm going to give up so easily?"

"Do you, Thearl?" Devin said, ignoring Rethe's last remark.

"Yes, please," Thearl answered.

"So two tea it is..." Devin mumbled while putting up the kettle.

Rethe folded her arms across her chest and suck her lip out in a pout. She sniffed dramatically, looking away and faking hurt. "Fine...if you don't want to tell..."

"Then what will you do?" Thearl asked softly.

"Here is your tea, Thearl..." Devin said while sitting down at the kitchen table again, looking from one to the other, wondering what was going to happen.

"Thank you," Thearl answered, still looking at his sister.

"I'll...I'll not fix you dinner for a whole week," she said, not completely serious.

"Oh Rethe, come on," Thearl said, quietly.

"What?" Rethe said innocently. "I can't be silly? You two certainly are."

"We all are being silly here. Why don't we take that as a final conclusion and talk about something else?" Devin said grinning.

"We're not silly...we're just...careful, that's the right word. Careful," Thearl said, looking at Devin.

"Maybe that's a better conclusion..." Devin said, meeting Thearl's eyes.

"I really think it is. So, what are we talking about?" Thearl asked.

"Okay, fine," Rethe said, holding up her hands in surrender. "I won't press about it anymore, it's quite worn out its fun by now anyway." She stared into her teacup, swirling the dregs at the bottom.

"I can't believe my little stubborn sister's just given up! I won!" Thearl exclaimed.

Rethe grinned up at him, then reached over and started to tickle him without mercy.

"Oh, break it," the man gasped, trying to move away. "Help, help!"

Rethe just tickled him harder, getting out of her chair so she could reach him better.

"Hey, Stop that!" Devin said in a loud voice, trying to sound threatening. "You can do that at home, but not in my house!"

"Ah ah, Thearl! You deserve it!" Rethe said, then she glanced at Devin. "You want to be next?" she asked.

"Rethe please," Thearl gasped amongst his laughter.

"You should try it..." Devin said in a low voice, trying not to smile as he said it.

"I just might," she said, still tickling her brother. "Do you give up, Thearl?" she asked.

"Yes, I do, I do..." Thearl gasped.

"Well, you will have to catch me first!" Devin said, not able to hold his laughter any longer.

Rethe's eyes widened at Devin's challenge, but she took it. In a second she had let go of her brother and was darting toward Devin.

Thearl was just lying on the floor now, trying to catch his breath.

Devin ran for it, out of the kitchen, up the stairs, into his former room. There he opened the window and climbed into the tree that stood next to it.

And Rethe was right behind him the whole way, nearly catching him a couple times, but he had the long-legged advantage. When he climbed out his window she protested. "Hey, that's not fair! No leaving the house!"

Devin grinned evilly at her and stuck out his tongue. "You're never going to catch me in here!"

"Maybe not," Rethe said. "But you're not going to be coming down either. I hope you like spending the night in trees, Devin!" She cackled dramatically.

"Oh, I love trees," Devin said while giving her a big smile. He was not going to tell her that he could climb down this tree very easily.

"I do too, Devin," she said, grinning back at him. Then she was out in the branches of the tree, climbing through them very easily. All the years of following after Bacall and her brother paying off.

Devin's mouth fell open when he saw Rethe climbing into the tree. He quickly shut it and climbed down to avoid being captured and tickled by his best friend's little sister. He jumped the last piece and then walked back into the house where he blocked the door so Rethe couldn't follow him.

"What are you doing?" Thearl asked, leaving the kitchen.

Rethe was only a few feet behind him the whole way, but not close enough to reach the door before he blocked it. She banged her foot against it hard. "Let me in, Devin!" she yelled. "Let me in!"

"Only if you promise not to tickle me!" he called back.

"I'm not making any promises!" Rethe said. "You deserve it now more than ever."

Thearl just stood watching the entire scene. "You children, are hopeless. I think I'll just go to bed, and let you play."

"Well then you'll have to stay outside. Or find another way to enter." Devin grinned. "Wait Thearl, close the window in my room please or else your sister can come in that way. And what do you mean by going to bed, it's only afternoon?"

"Let me in, Devin!" Rethe yelled, banging her foot against the door one more time. Then she left quietly and climbed back up the tree into Devin's room.

"I need to get some rest, my friend. I'm so tired..." Thearl explained.

"I can understand Thearl," Devin said in a worried tone, his happy mood was gone immediately. "There's still a bed in my room, but there won't be any blankets..."

"That's okay. I just need some rest," Thearl looked at Devin gratefully.

"I will walk with you upstairs Thearl," Devin said.

Rethe crept back down the stairs and then stopped before she reached the bottom one. She just stood there, watching the two.

"Thank you, you're a real friend..." Thearl said quietly.

"shall I stay here while you're resting? In case you'll need something?" Devin offered.

"No, thank you, I guess I'll fall asleep at once...but will you...will you stay with me at night? I know it's a lot to ask...but I..." Thearl's voice faltered, as he looked pleadingly at Devin. He really needed his friend’s company right then.

Rethe sat down on the step and wrapped her arms around herself, not liking the sound her brother's voice had taken on.

“Sure I will Thearl… we already discussed that, it’s no problem at all… I will just go home now and tell Dora and Athele that I will stay here tonight… I will come back as soon as we’ve had dinner and Athele has gone to bed…”

"Thank you, that means a lot to me...and Rethe promised to stay with me now..." Thearl said, hugging his friend.

Devin hugged Thearl back... "You are lucky to have a sister like that, Thearl, you really are. I understand that everything is good between the two of you and that really pleases me."

Rethe smiled slightly at those words of Devin's. Then she rested her head against the banister, closing her eyes.

"It is..." Thearl said quietly, and pulled away. "So I'll go to sleep then, we'll meet in the evening, right?"

"Right," Devin replied, smiling reassuringly.

"Thank you," Thearl repeated, and then turned to walk upstairs. And it was then when he saw his sister. "I'm going to sleep now," he said quietly.

Rethe opened her eyes, then nodded at him. She stood up and put her arms around her brother, and from this higher vantage point she was able to hook her chin over his shoulder.

"Am I to carry you up?" he asked.

"Only if you want to," she said, not letting go of him. "I can walk though..."

"Yes, I can see," Thearl said, lifting his sister up. He was so tired...

When Devin was sure the two of them had disappeared into his room he went to get the doll out of the bushes. He found her at the place Thearl said he'd hid her. The doll looked even filthier as she had earth and leaves in her hair right now. With a little smile he walked back into the kitchen and hid her with the other memories in the closet. Then he took his coat and left the house, he wanted to get his stuff for tonight.

Thearl entered the bedroom carrying Rethe, and then set her down on the bed. "Here you go...though I'm afraid there aren't any blankets..."

"That's okay," Rethe said. "I'm still wearing my cloak, we can share it." She took her cloak off and handed it to Thearl. Surprisingly, she was feeling rather tired as well.

Thearl laid down on the bed beside his sister. "Good night, then," he said softly, handing the cloak to her so that she was warm and covering himself with it as well.

Rethe snuggled back against her brother, pulling one of his arms around her. She closed her eyes. "I love you, Thearl," she whispered.

Thearl only murmured something quietly, since he was already falling asleep.

Rethe sighed, then kissed the back of Thearl's hand. She was herself asleep in only a few minutes.
eireen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2005 01:23
((Back to Arthion again. This post is the result of a sleepless night, but I hope you’ll enjoy it anyway ))

Arthion smiled as the soft wind began to play with his hair. This was a beautiful day, the sun was smiling at his face, and the shadows of the mountains were finally gone. His trip through the High Pass that he had taken after leaving Rivendell had proven to be easy enough, and the elf was extremely glad to find himself on the other side of the Misty Mountains.

The knowledge that the first part of his journey was over, and definitely ended up being a success, made Arthion feel really good, and allowed him to start to believe that he was ready to be in the wilderness on his own again. He had finally managed to overcome his fear of leaving the safety of Imladris, and there he was, breathing the free air again! It felt so wonderfully to be able to do that.

“I’m free,” Arthion said softly to himself, closing his eyes for a moment, and just relishing the touch of the wind on his face, and the sun, and the birds singing. “It’s a beautiful day…” he added after a while, and then smiled. But his smile suddenly faded, and his quick instincts nearly pushed the elf forward to take cover in a huge oak tree he was standing under. He could smell fire, probably a campfire, and not far away from him, which meant that there was a possible danger he had to be aware of.

Remaining completely silent, the young elf took in a deep breath, trying to see if it was a campfire as he thought it might be. “Salab chelegnen,” Arthion muttered softly under his breath. “The icy herb,” he repeated. So indeed, this fire was a campfire, and right after recognising the smell that filled the air, Arthion was no longer wondering whether he should approach it or not. The decision was obvious.

The elf moved through the trees as silently as a shadow. He had recognised the herb’s smell, and that told him already a few things he needed to know. This was an elven herb that was being prepared, and this alone meant, that the stranger or strangers who were preparing it were either elves, or someone who had some contacts with elves, since they had to have acquired the knowledge of the herb’s usage from the elves. Another thing that was obvious was that the stranger needed help. Salab chelegnen was used to deal with fever, and a high fever at that. So, whoever was there, they needed some help. Help he could provide. But still, even though he did not expect this someone to be his enemy, Arthion decided to act very cautiously, and approached the campfire with utmost attention and care. No sound could betray him, he knew that.

A few more careful and noiseless moves in the branches covered with thick leaves, that provided a perfect shelter, took Arthion right over the fire. The elf glanced down, and could see two men around it. One of them was lying on a bedroll, and was covered with a few blankets. He was shaking, and one look at him was enough to tell that he had a high fever. The other man was kneeling beside his friend, and he was preparing the herb that he hoped would help the fever. Looking at their clothing, the way they acted, and their weapons, Arthion was sure that these men were rangers, and that they might be in need of help, depending on what was wrong with one of them.

Giving it only a quick thought, Arthion decided to make his presence known to the both men. He was not afraid of them, and he knew that he had nothing to fear from them, since they were rangers, and rangers were elven friends, as he knew very well. He was used to meeting rangers, and being around them, since many of them visited Imladris, and were welcome there.

Wishing to forewarn the rangers about his presence, Arthion made a slight noise, hoping to catch their attention, which he did. The kneeling ranger looked up, thinking it was a bird that made that slight noise when leaving a tree, and was just about to look back at his sick companion, when he heard a soft voice.

“Avo ‘osto, im edhel a neston,*” the voice said, and before the ranger managed to grab for his weapons, his hand stopped in mid-motion as his ear recognised that it was an elf who was speaking.

“Na vedui!**” the man exclaimed softly, looking up at the elf who just climbed down the tree gracefully, and approached him. The man bowed his head in respect, and seeing that the elf looked at him slightly puzzled, he guessed that he must have probably heard his soft exclamation.

“The Valar must have heard my prayers, for they allowed us to meet you on our path, my lord,” the man said, bowing once again.

Arthion looked at the ranger, then at his sick companion. “I’m glad that my path crossed with yours if there’s something I can do to help,” he said. “What is yours and your companion’s name?” he asked.

“My name is Caladon, and this is my friend, Ladion,” the Ranger answered, looking at the elf.

“It is my pleasure to meet you,” Arthion said softly. “My name is Arthion of Rivendell,” he introduced himself, deliberately omitting everything that could betray his noble origin. Not that he was ashamed of it, but Arthion always thought that it was much easier if no one knew that he was a lord. “But tell me, what happened to your friend?” the elf asked, returning his attention to what seemed to be most important at the moment.

“He was hit by a goblin arrow as we were trying to make for the High Pass,” Caladon said. “So we had to turn back, and I removed the arrow, but he’s been getting worse ever since. He’s having fever, and I’m afraid that the arrow’s tip might’ve been poisoned. It penetrated his hip very deeply,” he added, giving Arthion all the information he could, and was looking anxiously at the elf who began to examine Ladion.

“I’m afraid that the arrow must have been poisoned,” Arthion said after looking at the wound, which did not even start to heal. “How many days have passed?” he asked, taking his bag off his back, and starting to search through it for his herbs’ bag.

“Nearly two days,” Caladon said quietly. “Is there…is there something you can do to help him?” he asked, worry clear in his voice.

Arthion looked up at the ranger. “I will do all I can, I promise,” he said. “Your friend is a strong man, he should endure the poisoning, which rarely is lethal when dealt with. I have the right herbs, I believe I can help him.”

“Le hannon…***” the ranger said, looking at Arthion gratefully.

“You’re welcome,” Arthion answered, and then began to prepare his herbs. This was going to take a lot of time…

The day was drawing to the end when Arthion finally finished treating Ladion. He was feeling exhausted, as the man had been extremely weak, and Arthion ended up being forced to feed him with his own energy in order to keep him alive. This worked, and Ladion was feeling much better now, free of fever and pain, and sleeping peacefully. Caladon, feeling very grateful to Arthion for helping his friend, and seeing how exhausted the elf was, nearly forced Arthion to take some rest, while he would be on watch, and the elf was in no shape to argue much, so he agreed. He had told Caladon, however, that the ranger was to wake him in the middle of night, so that he could watch over the camp while the ranger slept some too.

Caladon, on seeing that Arthion had no bedroll on him, wanted to lend him his own, but Arthion politely refused, saying that his cloak was enough for him. He lay down on the grass near the fire, wrapping his cloak around him, and crossing his hands on his chest, and allowed himself to drift towards his dreams after making sure that Caladon would wake him up for his watch, or earlier, if something unexpected happened to Ladion. Though still, even in his sleep, Arthion decided to say on his guard, just in case…

But before the last hold Arthion had on his consciousness lessened entirely, the young elf focused all his thoughts on his gwador. He wondered, even though far away as he still was, if Ran could feel that he was thinking about him. Arthion began to wonder what Raniean was doing now. Whether he was on a patrol, or at home resting…or maybe he was working at his desk right now. Or talking to someone…

Arthion closed his eyes for a moment to cover the tears that welled up in his eyes. He had missed his gwador so badly, and he wanted to meet him so much... And even though there was not much time left until their meeting, somehow Arthion could not wait. If he only could, he would probably not be able to stop himself from calling for Ran to come and meet him. Feeling that his drowsiness was taking hold of him, he gathered whatever energy he still had left, and send it to Raniean, hoping that his gwador would be able to feel it, and would know in that way that Arthion was thinking of him.

“I love you, gwador nín,” the elf whispered softly, as he fell asleep, surrounded by the memories of the wonderful time he and Raniean had spent together in the heart of the forest of Imladris soon after they had met. “I miss you, gwador nín …”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Avo ‘osto, im edhel a neston – Fear not, I’m an elf and a healer.
** Na vedui- At last.
*** Le hannon- I thank you.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2005 03:40
((Sorry it is slightly short))

Aerhíril smiled with relief when she saw Aerandir approaching her. "Good day to you too, mellon nín." she replied with a huge smile, and then continued to answer his question as he came before her. "I was just looking around, but I took a wrong turning somewhere…” She said, not really wanting to admit that she was lost. “And I kind of managed to get lost... a little." She added trying not to go pink, knowing that she must sound really silly. It's not as if she had just moved in, but she really could not help the fact that she had never seen this part of the Halls. “I don’t suppose you could tell me where we are? I’ve never been here before…”

------

It was some time before Dwelian came back from the fields and returned to Dugan’s house, and he was not surprised to find that Dugan had still not been home. Mistel told him that it was to be expected of her father, as these were difficult times for him, and that he would definitely be home on time for the memorial service.

While out in the fields, the only conclusion that Dwelian had managed to come to was that for the upcoming council meeting, the best he could do would be to think on the spot, as there was no evidence that he could produce. He and Mistel ate a fairly quiet lunch, which was very small, and even Dwelian knew that he was slowly beginning to feel the effects of not eating enough food. He felt weaker than he had been when he arrived at the town, and tired more easily while walking. It was a conversation with Mistel about the importance of the pantry however, that gave him an idea about how to win over the town; and how to get his way no matter how the meeting went tonight. Once it came to his mind the man dared not think of it again. It was as if Dwelian feared that someone would be able to hear his thoughts, or that his idea would be easily sensed by others if he planned it as he usually would in his mind. All he could do now was to wait for Dugan to come home, and while he did he began to think about what he should do after the meeting and after his idea.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2005 04:33
((For the moment, I'm keeping with Eireen's time. As best as I can tell, Eireen's time is a day or so ahead of the main thread. I'll catch up with 'real-time' later. Also, as Tolkien never directly addressed the issue of 'time difference' like we have in this world, I've written this to take place at the same time that Arthion falls asleep. For the purposes of this post, Ran is about five or six hours ahead of Arthion. Oh, and this is a different day than my last post. Everyone sufficiently confused? (The time difference thing was Eireen's idea, if you need a direction in which to throw tomatoes) Enjoy!))

Ran clapped his hands together and rubbed them as he walked briskly across the courtyard. Due to the feast, most of the border guards were home, and many were sitting around idly. Some took the time to work on their weapons; sharpening blades, making arrows, checking bows and strings. They all looked up at the approach of their captain and smiled as they saluted lazily, calling out their greetings.

"Hello, my lads," Ran smiled, planting his hands on his narrow waist as he surveyed them. "My goodness, but relaxation agrees with ye'uns, doesn't it?" When talking to his men, he often took the playful role of a father-figure and used slang common to grandfathers from Esgaroth and other humans towns.

"It does indeed, father's father," replied Gannel, the lietunant below Raniean and his co-captain Trelan.

"Why do I suspect you're going to change that?" groaned Ovor, a five-hundred year old sergeant who aspired to reach the role of captain before his thousandth birthday.

"Very good!" Ran grinned wider. "Come, my bucks, we don't want the good inhabitants of Mirkwood to think their border guards are getting lazy, now do we?"

"Depends." That was Celeg, a cynical young elf who now looked up from his project. Ran wasn't entirely sure what it was, but it involved a lot of paste and paper. "How hung over are they?"

"By this time of day?" Ran asked. "Most have gotten over what drunkenness they had. Up, everyone. I won't be too hard; just a half-hour of sparring."

There were quite a few mock groans, but everyone got up and began doing as Ran instructed, gathering in groups of two or more. They had sparred together so many times that Ran actually didn't have to do much instruction. Instead, he paired off with Gannel and settled into the rhythm of the battle-dance he had learned so many years ago.

Without warning, he had the sense that someone else was there...someone he knew well. Deflecting the last blow from Gannel hard enough to knock the blade from the younger elf's hand, Ran looked around. He knew that presence...or at least he Valar blessed well should've. "Excuse me a moment," he murmured, sheathing his sword as he walked away from the practice court.

Once he was out of the hearing range of his curious troops, he closed his eyes and brushed the part of his mind that was and always would be Arthion's. Yes, just as he had suspected. Just moments before, Arthion had sent him something through the connection. It wasn't a message, as such. It was more a touch, a reminder that he was still there. "Gwador," he murmured, frowning slightly. "You've overstretched yourself." Much practice had allowed the Mirkwood elf to detect little details in his brother's signature feeling, and he knew that Arthion had just been healing. The smell of herbs was strong about Arthion's spirit.

The Rivendell elf was too far away to send an actual message; they needed to be within fifty miles to talk mind-to-mind easily, and Arthion was too tired to focus as hard as it would take to talk at such a distance. Ran gathered a bit of his own strength instead, and pushed it towards his brother with the whispered thought, 'Come quickly, my brother. I miss you.'
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 11:33
((I will post some more tomorrow))

It was just after midday when Dugan finally returned, and by then all the preparations for the funeral had been organised by family and close friends. There was to be a short service at the town hall before the memorial would be moved outside where Arian would be buried. Mistel already was in tears, and was devastated that her father should be late. He had promised her to come home early, and even Dwelian resented Dugan for his lie he had told him earlier. He had stayed an extra two hours in the hall, in the company of his drinks, when he had said he would go home as soon as Dwelian had asked.

Arian’s older sister had arrived with her daughter, son and husband, who all wore black clothes. Their faces were solemn and still, unmoving images of pain and grief for the one they had loved so dearly. Mistel tried to take comfort with her cousin, but she was as distraught as her. Dwelian had been introduced, but he felt out of place. Only when some of the closer friends arrived did he begin to feel slightly easier, although he still felt like he shouldn’t be there. He was not family or a close friend.

Dugan had been in his room changing, keeping the rest of the company in uneasy waiting. Mistel was being led outside by her relatives, and she had asked Dwelian to go and find her dad as quickly as possible. Dwelian knew she would need his support, but in fact, she would end up giving it to him.

“Dugan?” he called as he walked swiftly to his bedroom door. He knocked three times. “Dugan, are you ready? Mistel needs you to help take her to the hall…” He listened, but there came no reply. After a few minutes he decided to go in himself to see if all was well. “Dugan?” he said again. He found the ex landlord on the floor, with an empty bottle clasped tightly in his hand. Dwelian sighed, and bent down to help him up. “What are you doing?”

“Nothing, nothing…. Just help me up, will you?” Dugan coughed roughly. When Dwelian lifted him, he saw that his face was streaming with tears. Dugan wiped his face with his sleeve. He too wore black.

“Where are the others?”

“They are waiting outside.” He tried to support his weight, but Dugan wasn’t making it easy. He collapsed on his shoulder and went limp.

“I can’t do this, Dwelian. I’m not strong enough to loose my wife… I need her… I need her…” He sobbed hoarsely, heaving into Dwelian’s cloak. Dwelian tried to ignore it, but he could not stop himself from feeling compassion rise up inside him. He knew what Dugan was going through… he knew more than anything. But he could never tell him so.

“I keep replaying things in my head, what I could have done differently, what I could have done to save her, what I could have done to stop this blight… it’s all my fault!”
Dugan cried. Dwelian felt his eyes glazing over, and the salty taste of his own tears soon came to the corner of his mouth. He tried to wipe them away with his free hand.

“I can’t do this, I can’t do this…” Dugan added helplessly. Memories flooded back into Dwelian’s mind, and he felt like ripping his own heart out.

“Yes you can.” He said firmly, after he had cleared his eyes. “You have to, for Mistel, for your family. Be strong for them, if only for today… you can’t let them hold you up all the time. You must be strong Dugan, or you’ll never overcome your problems.” He pushed him off his shoulder, but held him upright. “At least you still have your child, and her sister. Come on, we have to go. The funeral starts soon.”

Dugan was too drained to ignore this order, so he wiped his eyes and followed Dwelian out of the room, still leaning on him for support. When they came outside, the others were there waiting for them. Mistel ran to her father, embraced him, and then walked with him to the front of the group. They led them to the hall, where the Mayor would be for a brief wording before they moved onto the burial grounds. The body had been taken there earlier.

They walked in silence, and Dwelian walked behind Mistel and her father. The grieving company received many sorrowful glances as they made their way through town to the hall, and Dwelian was grateful the minute they passed through the doors. He hated so many people staring, and having to keep his face so expressionless. He felt sorrow for her passing, but not as much as he had for his own troubles, and he had many.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 09:36
((OK, hope you guys don’t mind but I am going to hop straight to the burial. I don’t want to linger on this funeral for too long so we can get on with the meeting. Hope that's alright!))

Mistel walked out of the town hall, followed by her stale faced father. He had managed to keep his eyes dry and seemed to be in his own mind, distant and away from what was actually happening. He was completely withdrawn, so he could feel little pain. Her eyes however were filled with all the emotion she felt, and her cheeks were wet with tears. She hardly noticed her aunt place a hand on her shoulder to lead her towards the place where her mother was to be buried.

Dwelian walked along in silence, and soon found himself by Dugan’s side. It did not take long to come to the burial grounds, and a hole had already been dug for Arian’s grave. Her body was wrapped in cloth, next to it. The party gathered around with solemn faces in a small circle around the grave, and waited for a few words to be said.

To Dwelian it all seemed to pass too slowly, for to him the ceremony dragged on longer than the mayor’s speech had. Noticing that Mistel stood alone, he moved to her side to comfort her. She smiled weakly and continued to stare down unseeingly to the lowering shape of her mother’s body. It soon disappeared into the ground, and was covered with dirt and soil until the ground was level once again. Her sister stepped forward and placed flowers on her grave while she said a quiet prayer. Afterwards all seemed to be silent. No one spoke on their way back to Dugan’s home, and there at the front door they parted in tears. A sense of relief filled the air, and they all seemed to relax allowing themselves to be lost in their grief. Mistel ran inside, and Dugan followed her. It was finally over.

Dwelian sighed heavily as he watched their family walk away over the roads of Esgaroth. The meeting was tonight, and already his head was spinning with panicky ideas of ill ways that the discussion could turn. His mind was brought back to Dugan and Mistel, and of their terrible loss... But at least they still had each other.
kellymulder
Send Message
on: May 04, 2005 10:07
((updating my characters again... I want to cowrite something with Raynn, so I pmed her, but I didn't get a respond yet. If anyone talks to her (Nar? ) can you please tell her I want to write something with her?))

The Mayor smiled slightly as he saw his daughter leaving the room. He wiped away a tear with the back of his hand, what a great daughter I have, he thought. He had always feared that she would hate him if she would come to know of what he had done to Thearl. She would have been very right to do so... he would never be able to forgive himself for what he had done to Thearl, and to his family... to Aithne...

He wished there was only something he could do to make up a little for all the damage he had caused... he knew he could never do enough to lose his own sense of guilt, he only had to look into the eyes of his son to see what he had done to him. But if he could only tell Thearl how sorry he was... but he didn't dare to do so... he was as afraid of his son as Thearl was of him, afraid to hurt him again, afraid to be confronted with his past, afraid to be looking into his eyes, that lookes so like Aithne's...

The mayor sighed and stood up, he would have to get ready for Arian's funeral... While he walked to his closet he wondered how many lifes the Blight would take before it's end... if it would ever end. The Blight had to stop, but right now, he really doubted Dwelian's words... his son and Baccal had made good points yesterday... He wondered what the council would bring to night, Dwelian was clever enough to come up with something new, he seemed really convinced of the fact that the elves were the cause of the foodshortage...

Amman quickly changed into some good, black clothes and headed to the Town Hall.

((I've kept him on the background, he is just there for support, not really to say something, but if you want to I can make him say something))

((to Devin, a little later that same day))

Devin headed 'home' though he was leaving his real home behind him. He hoped his grandfather wasn't home because he'd really like a private talk with Athele, and he didn't think he could handle his granddad whining about something without exploding, he had enough on his mind already.
First there was Thearl... then Caelyn... and then Thearl again... and Rethe...
Rethe... in his heart, Devin still felt hurt for what she'd done to him... or at least at the realisation that she didn't like, let alone love him... she wouldn't have done that if she liked him... this was too playful, and she had also said that she did it because they were friends. Not that he had thought that she would have liked to go out with him, but... in all those years he'd had secret hopes, dreams of a future with Rethe... and now it was very clear to him that something like that would never happen...

Devin had reached the door of his grandfather's house and got himself out of his thoughts, if his granddad was at home he had to be alert, and he shouldn't be thinking about Rethe. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

((tomorrow I will post an update for Caelyn))
Narbeleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2005 05:59
Andy was buttoning up his tunic in front of the mirror in his room when Ellen came in. "Going somewhere?" she asked him.

He looked up at her in surprise. "Well, yes...the council meeting, don't you remember?"

Ellen nodded. "Oh yes, I remember. I didn't realize it was so late already, I haven't even made supper yet."

"It's alright," Andy said, kissing her on her cheek. "I'll eat when I get home."

He grabbed his cloak left the room, Ellen following him. When they got into the front room they saw Arisan standing there in her usual black, only this dress was more fancy than her every day dresses. Her hair was done up nice and she had put a little bit of makeup on.

Andy smiled when he saw her. "Well, look at you, all pretty this evening."

Arian blushed a little. "Thank you, Papa," she said.

"So, I take it you're coming with me?" Andy asked.

"Yes...is that alright?" she asked, a worried look on her face.

"Of course it is," Andy said. "I just thought you wouldn't really want to. It won't be a fun event. You know how it turned out last time. And I feel this one will be worse."

"I know..." Arisan said, looking down at her feet. She was blushing slightly.

Andy smiled, guessing why she wanted to come. "Arisan...Thearl's not going to be there tonight."

Arisan looked up at him quickly, surprised that he had guessed her motives so easily. But then she looked disappointed. "Are you sure?" she asked.

Andy nodded. "He was going to skip today because he is just too tired."

"But maybe he'll change his mind," Arisan said hopefully.

Andy smiled, happy to see his daughter actually trying to come out of herself. But he felt sorry for her that Thearl would not be there. "I doubt it," he said. "But I would love to have you come with me anyway. I would be honored to have such a lovely lady on my arm tonight."

Arisan blushed again. "Thank you, papa. I will come." And perhaps Thearl really would change his mind and be there tonight. She hoped he would. She really would like to see him again.
Raynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2005 06:05
Athele had just got home from her rounds, giving food to the people on the outlying farms. Now it was getting late and she had to get ready for the second council meeting. She had decided not to go but her mother had asked to, and Athele readily complied. After all, maybe Bacall would be there....

Athele smiled and shook her head, now she was turning into a silly little girl swooning over a boy. She had had crushes in her life but they had never happened so fast or been so strong. Maybe she should change and do her hair up nice—but not so nice that someone would notice of course.

She slipped into the house and avoided her grandfather's open door; her mother was reading aloud to her grandfather, her soft voice broken only by the old man's hoarse coughing. He was getting worse and Athele wondered when it was going to end.

In her room, she slipped out of her dress and threw it into the corner, then she took a rag and cleaned her arms and neck. Going to a chest sitting at the end of her bed, she riffled though it looking for something pretty—anything. Finally she pulled out a dark blue, high-waisted dress. She had not worn it in years and it smelled a bit musty. But maybe if she cleaned it up a bit she could wear it.

When Athele was done and had put the dress on she was surprised to discover just how much weight she had lost. But maybe that was okay, she had been slightly plump before the Blight. She just hoped one of the townswomen would not see her and call her a stick.

When she was ready, she combed her hair and then left it down deciding that it looked nice that way. Her bruise was still visible after all, she was glad it was fading though. When she was done she examined herself and sighed; she felt like a peacock. Preening, trying to impress the males. Or one male at least. It would have to do. She grabbed up her shall and headed for the door.

]

[Edited on 6/5/2005 by Raynn]
eireen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2005 09:26
((A bit of Arthion again, I just needed to write that...))

Arthion smiled slightly in his sleep as the memory of his brother came to him, totally unexpected. He had called for Raniean, true, but he was aware of the fact that his gwador would not be able to hear him; the distance was too great. And yet, he had that strange feeling that his gwador was there, thinking about him. The elf shifted his position slightly, getting a bit more comfortable as the memories of the time he and Raniean had spent together in Imladirs reappeared in his mind, and in his dream world. Oh how wonderful it was to meet his brother once again, even if it was in his dreams only, and to know that they were going to see each other in reality. Soon…

Caladon nearly jumped as the elf sat up faster than an eye could follow, breathing very hard as if he had just run for miles without a break. The man just watched the elf worriedly, wondering if elves peaceful dreams could be plagued by nightmares, just the way human’s were. He did not say anything though, because he was not sure if he should.

Arthion just sat there for a moment, staring blankly at the fire, and then trying to calm his loud breathing frantically. He was not alone, was he? The rangers were with him. “Calm down, Eldar, calm down!” he said softly to himself, beginning to blink rapidly to return his gaze to the world of waking.

“Arthion, are you alright?” the man asked finally, but there was a clear trace of hesitance and worry in his voice.

The elf turned to look at the man, then rose gracefully, but his slender frame was shaking slightly, or so it seemed. “I’m alright, I’m sorry,” Arthion said softly, and his pale cheeks turned slightly red.

“Sorry? For what?” Caladon asked, looking up at the tall elf who now stood towering over him.

“Sorry that my abrupt movement startled you,” Arthion answered, and then picked up his weapons, fastening them to his back in a few agile motions.

“Are you leaving?” the ranger asked, surprised. It was late, and the night was dark, since the stars and the moon were covered by heavy clouds. It was not a best time for traveling, and besides, the elf had promised to stay with them until Ladion was feeling well again.

“No, not leaving,” Arthion answered, shaking his head slightly. “I’ll be back at dawn,” he added, and then disappeared into the trees before the ranger had any chance of asking a question.

“Elves, who can truly understand them…” Caladon said thoughtfully, and then looked at his sleeping companion. He still had a camp to watch over, so he would better pay attention to his surroundings. Though, he did not think anyone would be trying to get here at such a dark night anyway.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Arthion ran a little distance away, moving through the trees noiselessly, and without any problems. After deciding that he was far away from the camp, he sat at one of the thick branches he had under his feet, and began to cry in great sadness. First, he had no idea what made so much sadness to overwhelm him, but then he remembered. He had been dreaming about his meeting with Raniean, when suddenly the entire image was just shattered to pieces. Something had interrupted his dream, and made him feel really upset. Though, at a second though, he was already upset, ever since he left Imladirs, and still, he was not able to put his finger on it. What was wrong?

“You’re being irrational Arthion,” the elf said softly to himself. “Irrational. Soon you’ll be with your gwador,” he added, smiling slightly through his tears. But still, he was worried. And suddenly he detected another feeling creeping into his heart stealthily. Loneliness. He was feeling so lonely right then. The rangers, even though were with him, were no real company, since they were still strangers. His parents were at home in Imladris, too far away now to go back to them. And Ran was in Mirkwood, still quite a distance away. “Arthion, he’s waiting for you there…” the young elf said softly to himself, wishing to force himself to calm down But somewhere deep there was an unnerving voice whispering to him that maybe something had changed. Maybe Ran had a new family now and no longer needed his gwador… “Stop it!” Arthion ordered himself but with little success. Somewhere deep he was still very worried, and so, he kept on sitting on the branch, lost in his thoughts. How he wished to be with his gwador now, to see that nothing was wrong…
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 07:16
Aerhíril smiled with relief when she saw Aerandir approaching her. "Good day to you too, mellon nín." she replied with a huge smile, and then continued to answer his question as he came before her. "I was just looking around, but I took a wrong turning somewhere…” She said, not really wanting to admit that she was lost. “And I kind of managed to get lost... a little." She added trying not to go pink, knowing that she must sound really silly. It's not as if she had just moved in, but she really could not help the fact that she had never seen this part of the Halls. “I don’t suppose you could tell me where we are? I’ve never been here before…”

Aerandir chuckled, "Don't worry, sometimes these halls all begin to look the same. This wing is one of the less used wings. These rooms are for guests who come to the palace, just one hall of many others and more further then most, so they are the last ones filled." He looked around the abandoned hall and then back to Aerhíril, "I am on my way to the library. I was just given these papers and there is some information I have been requested to find and bring to King Thranduil." He held out the small stack in his hand, "You are more then welcome to come along, unless you have something else you need to do." He smiled, hoping she would walk with him a ways so that he had someone to talk to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Raynn, good to see you back. I was afraid Athele had vanished from the thread.)

After Thearl left the house, Bacall took note of the time. It was late in the afternoon by now. Bacall turned his thoughts to dinner, and he pulled from the cupboard his family's rations for the evening meal that he had gotten from the Pantry on his way back from taking lunch to the fields. There was a small hunk of meat, two potatos, and a few scrawny carrots. Bacall decided to make a quick soup with the meager rations to make it go further. Putting a pot of water on the wood stove to heat, he cut the potatos and carrots into small pieces and added them in the soup along with some dried herbs, the only thing his family had a fair amount of, and then added chunks of meat.

It was soon after that his father and brother returned with another disappointing day of hard wok in the fields and nothing to show for it. The three men sat down to a quiet meal. Bacall ate quickly and then went to see if Anneis would eat any of the leftover broth Rethe had brought over before. He met with little success, and she seemed to be doing worse this evening. Her fever was up and she tossed about in a restless delerium. The feeling of helplessness rose again, and he felt tears rise when his father quietly entered the dim room.

"Bacall, you look so worn." Bardor whispered, laying a hand on his oldest son's shoulder, "Perhaps you should head to bed early tonight. You need some rest."

Bacall shook his head, "No father, I have to get Anneis to eat this, and then I think I will try to make another mixture with the plants I have found." He sighed, "I was going to go to the town meeting tonight, try to keep that Dwelian from convincing the people that the elves are behind this, but Anneis needs me here."

"Now Bacall, your brother and I can take care of Anneis tonight. It is most important that you attend that council meeting. After what you spoke last night, I feel as though you have a better idea of what the elves are capable of doing then anyone else in this town. I have read the letters you have sent and the stories of other places you have traveled, and I believe you if you say the Mirkwood elves would never cause such a thing. It is your duty to assure the others of this so that we do not start a battle. Tell me what to do to help Anneis and I will do what I can, but you must go to that meeting." Bardor demanded.

Bacall looked admirably at his father and gave a nod. He rose from the bedside chair and gave instruction to his father, "Do the best you can to get her to eat this broth. Rethe made it, and it has done her good before. I am going to put some water over the fire that I will add some things too. Use a cloth in the warm water and apply it on her forehead, face, and neck, hopefully that will help with the fever. If anything takes a turn for the worse send Barius quickly to fetch me and I will come home." Bardor gave an understanding nod, and straightened himself, putting on a strong front. Bacall admired that in his father and laid a comforting hand on his shoulder, "It will be alright, I know you can do this."

After putting the water on to heat, Bacall went to his room and cleaned himself up a bit, putting on a clean green shirt and brown breeches. Over the shirt he put a leather jerkin vest with the seal of Gondor embrossed on the front. He brushed his beard with a small comb and then his hair and put on his calf high boots. While he dressed, Athele suddenly popped into his thoughts for the first time today. Bacall wondered if she would be at the council tonight, and how she had faired that day. He thought back to their conversation the night before, how she seemed to think much as he did, and how distressed she seemed at the thought of war. He hoped she would be there, if for no other reason then support for she seemed to believe him though no one else seemed to know what to think.

Once ready, he went back and took the water from the fire. The kitchen was now filled with the aromatic sent from the herbs. He filled a bowl with the hot, sented water and took it into the room where his father now sat by the bed. He placed the bowl on the table, "Wait for it to cool slightly, and then moisten her head and neck, but only while it is warm. When it cools, it will do no good any longer. If she is still burning with fever, you can heat the water again over the fire, the pot is still out in the kitchen. I will be home as soon as this meeting is over." Bardor nodded, but Bacall could see he was nervous at the idea of taking care of Anneis with no prior experience. Bacall gave a comforting smile and then left the room.

He took up his green cloak, pinned it at the shoulder with the silver broach, and left the house. There was still time before the meeting, but Bacall had wanted to head out a bit early so he had some time to walk alone and think about things. The town was quiet right now, and Bacall figured most families were inside eating or just being together before the meeting began. He wandered aimlessly about the streets thinking about the many things on his mind, most importantly some of the points he might have to raise tonight to counter Dwelian's claims.

Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2005 06:43
((Kind of just a fill in until the meeting starts for Dwelian’s post.)))

“No, I am not busy. I would love to come with you,” Aerhíril replied, and smiled in return. “I could even help you find the information you need when we get to the library.” She said as she started to walk with Aerandir. She was most grateful that he found her and was willing to help. “What is the information that you have been asked to find?” Aerhíril said as she looked to him. Nothing too complicated, I hope…” she joked.

--

Dwelian was now as ready as he could ever be for the meeting that night. He guessed that Dugan and Mistel would not be there to back him up that time, because of their difficult day with Arian’s funeral. There was not much left for him to now do, besides continue to play on the evidence that he already had, and to convince the people into believing his ways. The person he dreaded facing most was Thearl, and he did not even like the thought of facing his numerous friends.

The thought then came to him as he walked around town, what would he do if he failed in his plans? What would happen? All the years of hard times could amount to nothing if the people chose not to listen. He would probably be chased out of town if they did not believe him, and the worse thing was that he actually knew how to help.

‘Why should I even bother helping them?’ he thought as he came to the edge of town. He liked being in the fields, for it reminded him of the solitude that he had grown accustomed to over the years, and also of the small village that grew up in. He did not like large buildings or crowds, and he even found it difficult to relate to a few people.

Although the council was far from starting, Dwelian still found himself replaying every scenario over and over again in his head. His exterior was calm, and no one could ever tell how worried he was inside. He masked his emotions, and never gave anything away through his expressions. It was just the way he was. Besides, he couldn’t afford to let people into his life so quickly. From experience, it always promised painful consequences.

kellymulder
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 09:39
((cowritten between me and Raynn ))

Devin thought of what he had to say to Athele as he walked up to the front yard of his grandfather's house. That he wouldn't be staying tonight, and maybe something about the council as well... he wondered what she thought about it. Still in thought, Devin reached the door and opened it.

Athele was a little shocked when she reached for the door handle and it swung in all by itself. Outside Devin stood and his sudden appearence had startled her. "Devin! You startled me," she exclamied, then laughed and let out her breath she had not even noticed she was holding.

Devin smiled, as soon as he had control of himself again, he had been startled too. "You startled me too, Athele." He paused and then added, "It's good to see you, I was actually just looking for you."

"Really? I wanted to see you too," she said as she slipped out of the door and stood beside him. "I am on my way to the council, are you coming?"

"Oh, yeah... that's right... there's a second council tonight... No, I am not coming, I promised to keep Thearl company tonight."

Athele raise her eyebrows, " All night? He is not a baby anymore, is he alright? He's not sick is he?" Athele said. She was really worried that if someone like him, young, strong and influential, got sick then what was in store for the rest of them?

"No, Thearl is not sick..." Devin said, noticing the worry on Athele's face. "He is just going through a very rough time right now..."

"Rough time? Well, if it is Thearl that is going through a rough time, then I better not ask, I know somethings are to be left unsaid," Athele said, remembering her own secrets and rough times she had shared with Rethe when they were younger. "So, you are going to stay the night at Thearl's?"

Devin nodded and wondered what his cousin knew about Thearl that made her say that. "Yes, so I won't attend the council, and to be honest... I do not really feel up for it either. But you should keep your eyes and ears open, my dear cousin..."

"Oh...you want me to be a spy?" Athele said jokingly. "To make sure Dwelian is not up to no good!" Athele smiled and patted Devin on the shoulder, which was a little difficult since Devin was a good deal taller than her. "You know," she said, "I went to last night's council and I am a little afraid of the things he is saying," Athele said more soberly.

Devin smiled. "That's not what I meant, I just want you to pay attention if something strange is happening."

"Okay, strange, what do you mean? Do you want me to tell you if some woman gets up and speaks her mind in a group full of men? That happened lst night, you know." Athele smiled knowing full well that he knew that.

Devin grinned. "I don't think that will happen again, if I have to be honest," he said, thinking of Caelyn as he started to walk towards the town hall. He banned Caelyn out of his mind and examined Athele. Suddenly he noticed something. "What do you have on your face?" he asked, pointing at her bruise.

Athele knew when she met him that he was going to notice her bruised face, no matter how hidden she thought it was. "Um...what? I don't see anything. Hey Devin," she said pointing to a dog up ahead, "it would be nice to have a dog like that when the Blight is over and we have enough money," she finished, hoping that had distracted him.

"I will make sure you get one once the Blight is over..." Devin said, still looking at the bruise. "You must know where it comes from, it is really bruised, Athele," he added.

Athele shrugged and started walking faster, she knew she would have to tell Devin. If she did not tell him then she would be aiding her grandfather's cruel behavior, and that was the last thing she wanted to do. "I know where I got it," she said slowly, not wanting Devin to explode once he heard the truth.

Devin continued. "Come on Athele... Don't lie to me." Though in his mind a terrible suspicion unfolded. "It.... it's not grandfather who has done this to you, is it?" he asked softly.

Athele stopped and looked up at him, her eyes brimming with tears. "He threatened me and told me not to tell you," she whispered. "It does not hurt anymore."

Devin saw the pain in his cousin's eyes, the fear, and inside anger rose. The man had gotten too far this time! Nobody touched his family! He opened his arms towards her, inviting her to embrace him. "We cannot stay in that terrible man's house," he whispered softly.

"No, it is okay...he can't hurt us now," she said as he embraced her. "Grandfather is dying and he will never rise from his bed again. The healer came earlier while I was out and told mother to prepare for his death." She sighed and looked up at him. "We fought, he and I, about my same fear I expressed to you yesterday. He threatened to marry me off to a rich, mean old man. I yelled back and said some pretty nasty things to him, and to retaliate he slapped me." She finished, feeling good about telling someone.

"The awful man..." Devin said, feeling even angrier than before... "But you are right, if he's dying...he will not harm us anymore." He paused and then added, "And I will do everything to prevent you from getting married off to a person you are not in love with."

Athele smiled and blushed, a person she was in love with...now who might that be, she wondered and hoped Devin had not noticed. "Thank you," she said. "But promise me, don't do anything to get revenge or anything you men do to regain the honour of a woman." Athele looked seriously into Devin's eyes.

Devin saw the blush on Athele's face and wondered for a moment what she meant by it. But then the moment had past, and he forgot about it again. "Athele.. .the man hit you..." He answered

"So, he will be dead soon and cold in his grave before I think of him again. It does not matter," she said rather sternly. "Anyway, we are nearing the hall and I wanted to talk to you about something important."

"If you are sure..." Devin said a little reluctantly. He looked at her. "You are?" he asked, afraid of what she was going to say as he had a slight feeling of what it might be.

"Well, you in fact. Thearl asked me to talk to you about your eating habits. It has to stop, we need you Dev, we can't have you passing out while you are supposed to be helping us, protecting us. And I won't have it any longer, you are going to eat or else." Athele was surprised at how stern she could be and congratulated herself.

Devin sighed, he had been right... "Look at how skinny you've become Athele...You need the food more than I do..."

"That is so silly, I will die from hunger but you won't? Are you so impervious to starvation that you can keep on not eating and not die from it, hm? " Athele glared at him and then stepped back so that she could see him better, it was getting dark. "If you don't eat then I won't either!" she challenged.

"Athele... please don't do this.... And I do eat, only less than usual. Please don't be silly...I am managing, really."

"Really?" she said her anger rising. "Then why did I hear about you passing out? I see you don't eat, I am not blind, Devin! I have lost weight but that is fine, we all have, but not eating your share is stupid and irresponsible. And if you don't stop then I will make you. I know you must think me not able to handle you or you can easily get out of eating something." She started to calm down. " I have an idea, you eat what I put in front of you and I will eat a few bits more than that, deal?"

Devin sighed and wondered why everyone was this worried, they didn't even know about what happened at Caelyn's and he was not planning to tell them. "It's not that I don't think you cannot deal with me, Athele, I... I just am so worried about you all, people start to get sick, people die and I do not want to cause more grieve in my family, not if I can prevent it from happening."

Athele started to tear up in frustration, did he not get it? Was he so dense? "Stop it, Dev, you are the only man in our family and it is your right and responsibility to care for us, but you can't do that if you are weak. You just can't, I need you to be strong for me. Will you eat for me? Will you take my offer and eat what I put in front of you? I will still eat more than you if you so wish."

Devin looked at her, tears in his eyes. "I... I will do whatever you say Athele. I will take your offer... but only if you'll eat more than I will do," he said softly.

Athele smiled, unsure if he was telling the truth. She decided that he was and hugged him. "Good. I'm glad to hear it. And if you see Rethe tonight then you can tell her we worked it out and also tell her of our deal, she will probably want to feed you the same way."

Devin smiled, though the thought of Rethe was still painful at the moment... after what had happened this afternoon. "I'll do that, though I think she will be home again when I go back."

Athele nodded, she had seen a barely perceptible look of pain cross her cousin's face, then vanish. She decided not to ask, knowing that it probably involved Rethe, and Athele did not want to pry into a spot that was sensitive to her cousin. "Okay, if you go home before going to Thearl's, then you can find a couple potatoes and a bit of dried meat, you won't have to eat their food if you don't want to," she said as she loked up at him.

"Thanks, Athele... I haven't had dinner yet so I think I am supposed to eat that now." He smiled and sighed. "But you are right, I do not want to eat their food, that's their own ration. I feel bad about being forced to eat some of Thearl's food yesterday already."

"Yes, I know, I always feel like giving them some of ours to compensate for the food we eat." Athele saw some other people near them, she looked intently at their faces hoping to notice someone she knew, like Bacall. "Anyway, we are getting close to the town hall," she said as she looked back at him. "So your not coming in? If you go home don't forget to bring your extra change of clothing, I won't have Thearl or Rethe thinking I don't keep house or have clean clothes for my family," Athele said, half jokingly, she always loved to play mother to Devin.

Devin looked down, slightly amused by his younger cousin. He was a grown man and he wasn't very likely to forget clean clothes, but he knew she loved playing his mother. "I won't forget it, mum," he said jokingly.

Athele smiled and nodded. It felt good to banter with Devin. It felt like the old times, the times before the Blight. Then she became serious and looked deep into his eyes. " Thank you, Dev. I almost believed that you would not listen to me, and it would have been your funeral we were going to go to next," she said, then sighed.

Devin's smile disappeared. "How could you think that, Athele? I have no intention at all to leave this world, I am not done with it yet. I would never leave you guys behind if I can help it."

"I know, it's just that you have been acting very...stupid lately, everyone has noticed it and we were all worried that because you were so adamant not to eat that it would wear you down and eventually kill you," She said, hoping not offend him. "I love you and trust you, and I am so glad that you have agreed to eat on a regular basis."

Devin sighed, not knowing what to say to that. It meant so much to him that his friends and family cared so much about him. He would have to change something, not only for himself, but to make his family stop worrying about him. He didn't want them to be afraid of what might happen to him, there were other things to worry about... "So am I," Devin said after a silence.

Athele smiled, and reached up to cup his cheek in her small hand. "I am the only child by my parents. They wanted a son very much, but all they had was me. I know they would not have given me up for anything, and I feel like that about you. You are my brother, not only my cousin, and I will not give you up for anything. Especially this Blight that wants to take us all," she said softly.

"And you have been more than a sister to me... and I would do everything to protect you," Devin replied, his heart filled with love for his younger relative. It was true, he had after all, nearly stopped eating for her and the other persons he cared about.

Athele looked down, tears blurring her eyes, the world was falling apart around them, but they had this small moment of peace, knowing they were not alone. And knowing they were family and would stick together.

"We will manage, Athele, we will overcome the Blight."

"Overcome? I think that is a good word to discribe us, overcomers, becouse we will perish if we do not," she finished, then looked at the town hall. "I don't want to keep Thearl waiting, I suppose I should let you go. I have no more fears now."

"I am happy for that... and you should probably go as well... The council is about to start."

"Yes, I will go be your spy and bearer of news to mother." She smiled and laughed. " I will see you tomorrow."

"Thanks, Athele." Devin said on a serious tone. "And now go and be a spy, I will see you tomorrow indeed. Take care."

"I will, you too. Say hi to Rethe for me...oh and Thearl too," she said as an afterthought.

"I will," Devin said with a smile on his face. "Now go, before you'll be too late and they won't let you in."

"Alight I am going...see you later," she ran ahead of him, then stopped at the door to the hall, she turned back and waved. She looked every bit the happy girl she was. She then disappeared through the door.

Devin smiled and waved back at her, feeling that some things would never change, at least he hoped that. Then he turned around and headed to his grandfather's house to eat dinner, as he had promised to Athele.
Narbeleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2005 07:29
Andy and Arisan arrived at the Town Hall jut as most of the other people were arriving. Arisan was trying to look around inconspicuously for Thearl, but Andy noticed. "Sweetie, he's not coming, like I said."

"I know, papa, but if he changed his mind..." She couldn't see him anywhere, nor Rethe either. She felt disappointment knot in her stomach. But what was she expecting? That Thearl would even notice her if he were here? He never noticed her before...

Let's go in, sweetie," Andy said, guiding her with a hand on her shoulder. He led her into the main chamber where many people had already gathered and were taking seats. Arisan was still looking around for Thearl, even as she took her seat beside her father.

Andy saw the mayor talking to a man on the other side of the room, but he was careful not to lock eyes with the portly man. He didn't want a confrontation, especially in front of his daughter. He noticed that none of the speakers of the night before were present yet, other than Réman, the young man who had spoken first. Andy hoped that some of the others would come, especially Bacall. If anyone could sway the people, it was he.

Andy decided to keep an eye out for Bacall. It would be nice if he could sit beside him, for support, since the two men shared a like mind.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2005 09:17
Dwelian walked back from the fields, slowly at first, but then faster as he realised he had been out thinking far too long. The meeting was due to start soon and already he was late: he had hoped to be the first one there, if not the second.

As he came onto one of Esgaroth's streets, he passed many people who also were making their way towards the town hall. He picked up his pace, and decided to use one of the back entrances so he would not have to go through the crowd waiting in the seated area. Soon he swiftly found himself going through a small door, away from the prying eyes of the townsfolk. He spotted the Mayor talking to someone in the main hall and proceeded to go over to him: even if he said nothing when he got there. He suspected that the meeting would be starting as soon as the hall was filled.
kellymulder
Send Message
on: July 19, 2005 10:50
Amanda hummed softly as she walked back home from her friends house. It was the end of the afternoon and the girl felt happier than she had felt in a long time... Today she had been able to fool around with Cathy, the two of them had played in the fields all day long and the girl couldn't think of a time she had felt less sorrowless.

The Blight had effected everyone, but this child, for she was still a child even though the circumstances had raised her to act a lot older than she was, had lost the joy in living for a long time. It was the love for her father and for her older sister that made her able to bear all the things she needed to bear, but she suffered heavily under it. She was always tired and had pains all over her body, she was very small for her age and her once round face was now hollow. She had black rings around her eyes and cried herself to sleep almost every night. But she never complained... she kept being the silent girl she had always been... her sister talked enough for the two of them and she knew her family needed her more than ever.

Yet she had been very happy Caelyn had given her this day off... for some hours she had been able to forget about everything... even the hunger didn't hurt as much when you weren't thinking of it....

Amanda expected Caelyn to be out in the fields, working, but when she found the fields deserted as she crossed them ,the girl figured that her sister had to be inside already, preparing a small dinner.

Amanda entered the farm through the kitchen, expecting to find Caelyn there, but there wasn't anybody around... the leftovers of lunch were still at the kitchentable along with a small basket with today's foodration, which was still unpacked. Amanda frowned... this couldn't be good, coud it? It was nothing like her sister to leave the house in such a mess...

Amanda's first thought was to check up on her father.... maybe he had gotten worse and Caelyn had needed to take care of him all day long.... that had happened before...

She slowly and softly opened the door to her father's bedroom, not willing to wake him if he was asleep. The light in the room was dim as the curtains were still closed and the air was think and heavy. Amanda could see Caelyn's sihouette on her father's bed... she was holding his hand. Amanda entered the room and closed the door soundlessly behind her. She walked towards her sister and sat beside her at the edge of the bed. Her father's eyes were closed and in the pale light of the room he seemed even more pale than he had been before. "How is he?" Amanda asked softly, staring at her father's face.

Caelyn hadn't heard Amanda coming in, when she had returned home from her talk with Devin she had found the basket of the Pantry by the door, she hadn't opened it and had gone back to her father's room. There she had closed his eyes and washed his face, he tears had stopped falling. When he was made decent again she had sad by his bed and had taken up his hand, struggling with the immense feeling of despair and pain that another person she loved had died... and now she had to tell Amanda. Caelyn drew a deep breath and looked sideways at her sister "...Amanda..." she swallowed.

Amanda knew by the way her sister had spoken that something was very, very wrong. She looked up at her sister and could already read the answer in her eyes...

"He.... he stopped breathing this morning.... I.... he died..." Caelyn's voice was unsteady and shivering. She searched into her sister's eyes to find the same pain and despair she had felt, but Amanda looked to the ground... "I already though it would happen.... nothing seems to go right.." she said in a small voice.

Caelyn hugged Amanda... "I know.... I know, my dear... We are together now..." Amanda broke into silent sobs, it seemed too much for her to take in... she didn't like to cry in front of her big sister but now she could see tears shimmering in Caelyn's eyes as well. They both sat, embracing each other and crying on the edge of their father's bed, feeling lost and disrupted from the rest of the world...

The Mayor had arrived early at the Town Hall, he wanted to avoid running into Thearl at home after his talk with Rethe this morning... The talk had brought back all the feelings of shame and guilt and there were other things on his mind right now, or at least, there should be other things on his mind right now.

He wanted to get early at the Town Hall so he could have a talk with several random people about how they were feeling about everything.... he was curious what they'd think of the things that had been said last night.

So there he was, talking to a man who was two times older and three times thinner than he was... the man didn't seem to have a lot to say. The Mayor tried to remember his name... but failed... he was positive it was something with an 'F' though...
The Mayor let his eyes wander through to Hall to see if he could spot any familiar persons... He saw Andy, but when he saw him he quickly looked at the other side, he didn't want to look at that man...
The Mayor looked at the other side of the Hall and saw Dwelian looking at him. The Mayor waved at him to come closer... he needed him before the start of the council...

Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2005 06:28
Dwelian caught the Mayor's glance, and walked closer to him when he saw that he clearly wanted a word before the start of the council.

"What is it?" He asked, once the old man the mayor had been speaking with wondered across to the seats to rest his weary feet. Dwelian waited for the Mayor to reply. The hall was practically full now, but as people were still talking in groups many seats were still vacant. Dwelian then thought that he may just want him to start the council. He waited for either to happen, going through his thoughts, planning out exactly what he was going to say.
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2005 07:24
Aerandir looked at Aerhíril, "I'm not quite sure what it is I am looking for to be honest. This letter only says that I am to search out a history of the northeast lands from the most recent to 3,000 years ago. I haven't a clue as to why the King wants them, but I will search them out none-the-less." By now they had reached the great double doors into the library. Aerandir opened one door and allowed the lady to enter first. Coming behind her, he paused taking in the many shelves and tables covered with bound pages with leather covers, scrolls, and parchments. This was not going to be an easy task. With a laughing sigh he raised his eyes and cast sideways eyes to Aerhíril, "Well, shall we?" he jested, "You know, you really don't have to do this if you don't want. I am sure I can manage on my own. I'm sure there are other things much more appealing then diving through the archives."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bacall finally turned toward the Hall. He was not ready for this meeting to begin. He did not feel prepaired enough; though there really was no way to be ready for what Dwelian might pull out tonight. Still, he had to get there. He was surprised to find, as he drew near, that there were already many arrivals. He threaded his way through the groups mingling outside for the remaining minutes and inside the building.

A quick glance around and he found, happily, a face he knew. Athele stood in an open space, looking around expectantly. Bacall grinned and wove his way toward her as her eyes scanned all around but managed not to spy him yet. He crept up to her right side without being seen, "Looking for someone?" He asked coming up next to her. She started a bit at the sudden appearance, but he could tell by the smile on her face that she was glad to see him.

He placed a hand lightly on her arm, "Athele, good evening. How was your day? Enjoyable all things considered?" His green eyes meeting her deep brown ones. He noticed the large but fading bruise on her face, near her eye, but thought it best to not mention it currently. Such discussions were not proper in such a public setting.

Shifting his eyes toward the seats and the front of the Hall, he saw another he recognized out of the corner of his eye. Thearl's friend Andy. The man he had sat with last night. The two had never formally met, but Bacall found himself not surprised when the elder man gave a small gesture beckoning Bacall to join him. He offered Athele his arm and led her over to where he sat with a woman Bacall assumed was his daughter.

When he reached the man he inclined his head in a polite nod, "Andy I do believe?" he asked, "I know it has been many years, and we may not have ever been formally introduced, but Thearl spoke well of you. I am Bacall, son of Bardor. This is Athele, Devin's cousin." he was not sure if they had ever met before, "And this darling lady, I assume, is your daughter?" He smiled politely and gave a nod to her. "Would you mind if we sat with you?" From Bacall's memory of the taxing night before, Andy had seemed to be a man who thought as he did. The only one he knew for sure who was not very convinced by the clever talk of Dwelian. Bacall thought that in Andy he might very well have a strong ally, and he hoped their words together might help sway some minds tonight.

(Andy and Bacall haven't met before have they? It's been so long I can't clearly remember. If it's wrong Nar let me know and I will edit.)
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 04:05
"Oh no, no. I don't mind at all." Smiled Aerhíril with a small laugh. "I actually want to help you, its something for me to do." She walked further into the room, looking at all the piles of papers, books, and other wooden boxes that contained even more papers. It all looked terribly disorganised, as if it had all been misplaced or muddled up over the years. There seemed to be hundreds. This would most definitely take a while.

Aerandir followed her into the room and the great wooden doors swung shut behind him. Aerhíril looked back at Aerandir as she waved her hand at all the parchments on the surrounding tables and shelves. "Well then, where are we to start?"

kellymulder
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 05:26
(cowritten by Aer and me )

"Ah good to see you Dwelian." The Mayor said, happy to be able to get rid of the silent man. "I just wanted to know, will you be the first one to speak tonight, after I opened the Council?"

"I will be, yes." Dwelian replied. Although he was not sure what he was going to say, he thought it best to go first, so he could set the tone of the whole council in his first speech. "This meeting just a follow up of last night, isn't it?" He asked. He wanted to be sure that he started on the right subject.

"Yes it is.... though a lot of people that spoke yesterday night did not return tonight." Amman answered, letting his eyes wander through the Hall.

"Really?" Dwelian said, his hopes rising for a second. "Such as who?"

"I haven't seen Thearl anywhere at all...." the Mayor said.

If Dwelian was pleased by this, he hid it well. "Thearl is absent?" But when he thought about it, he realised he had not seen him either. He sighed. "well let us hope that he has not fallen ill on account of this terrible blight..." he said, his eyes facking concern.

"He didn't seem ill when I last saw him... I do not think his absence has anything to do with the Blight... Maybe he's just late..."

"Maybe," Dwelian replied. "Let us hope that is the true reason." He added.
"Perhaps we should get started then?" He said, changing the subject swiftly.

"Yes..." The mayor answered absently... he wondered why Thearl didn't show up... even though he had slight feeling that uneased him that history played a part in it. He didn't really believe Thearl was late. He looked up at Dwelian "It's almost time, isn't it? We'd better get ourselves to the stage so we can start."

"Very well," Dwelian smiled. "Lets see if we can get any further in deciding what to do about the town's current situation." He moved towards the stage with the mayor.

"I hope we can make the decision tonight..." the mayor said softly to himself as they walked towards the stage.
Narbeleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 10:22
Andy shook the man's hand warmly as he smiled. "It's nice to meet you, Bacall," he said. "Yes, this is my daughter Arisan." The man nodded politely to Athele, giving her a smile. "I think our ladies already know each other. But please, join us. I would be happy to have the company of like-minded thinkers, especially during the meeting. You gave quite an argument last time. I must say, you made some very interesting points, and whole lot more sense than that..." he waved his hand in Dwelian's direction, shaking his head as he found himself at a loss for words appropriet.
Raynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2005 09:40
(I thought Athele needed her two cents worth, enjoy)

Athele couldn't hold back the smile that kept appearing at on her face. She had been trying to find Bacall in the large crowd of townfolk. She could see her friends and neighbors, but no Bacall. But then she heard his voice, "Looking for someone?" She didn't want to be a silly little school girl and giggle and admit she had been looking for him. So she said nothing.

Now here she was, he was leading her over to Andy and his daughter, she wanted to say something clever, witty and charming. But her tongue stuck to the roof of her mouth. So she said nothing. Hoping her eyes and her silly smile would convey to him that she was glad he had come.

She smiled shyly at Arisan, then sat down next to the young woman. The two girls had known each other all their lives, but that didn't mean they were good friends. They had chatted at the pantry many times. Athele had once secretly hoped that Devin would fall in love with Arisan, but after many yeas she knew that no woman would be able to hold a candle to his Rethe.

Athele wanted to hear everything Bacall and Andy were saying so she positioned herself in her chair so that Arisan would get the picture and not feel like chatting. She didn't want to be rude, but she didn't feel like being chatty and sociable today.
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2005 05:09
(Copost by Raynn and myself. Sorry for the delay, but computer problems kept me from being able to get to it and post. Let the council begin.)

Bacall nodded politely to Arisan and listened to Andy. “I thank you for your kind words and am glad to see you agree with me. I only hope that I might be so convincing to the others tonight. It would be the worst fortune if they should ultimately side with him.” Bacall turned his attentions back to Athele and he smiled at her, "Well, good evening my lady. How are you feeling this day?" Bacall still didn't know much about this woman, and he wanted to, so he figured he might take this bit of time to start learning more.

Athele looked up at Bacall, trying not to show the strange feelings in her heart that were probably showing in her eyes. "Very well, thank you. And how are you this day?" She felt like a silly school girl.

"Much better now. Some wrongs made yesterday have begun to be righted, and a friendship believed lost will hopefully not be. My sister still lingers in her current state which is both a curse and a blessing. I only hope my father and brother can manage without me tonight. They have never had to tend to someone as ill as she before, they aren't really sure what to do." He confessed.

Athele raised her eyebrows, a friendship believed to be lost? What was that about? She decided not to press. Instead she said "I'm really sorry about Anneis, is she getting any better? I haven't heard anything new since yesterday."

Bacall sighed, "She has moments where she seems to improve, but they are short lived. The only blessing seems to be that she is not getting worse. But Valar knows how long that will last. I only wish I would have had the sense to come home sooner. Then maybe I could have prevented her from ever getting sick in the first place." His guilt returned to him at his foolish decision to remain away for so long. He was kicking himself now, and he didn't know how he would handle it should Anneis take a turn for the worse. He sighed and shook his head, nothing to do now, what had passed was passed; now all he could do was help improve the future.

"You couldn't have known that this Blight could have gotten so bad." Athele said, then another thought came to her, "Were you told by your father, how bad it actually was?" she said as she shifted in her seat. Bacall wasn't the tallest of men, not like Devin, but he was standing, and she sitting, and it was starting to strain her neck.

Bacall looked around a moment then back to Athele, sitting in his chair beside her with a sigh, "He didn't write to me until about a month ago. For so long has this been going on, but he did not tell me of it before now. I do not know why he would not tell me sooner. I suppose fault lies with me in not writing him for so long. I used to quite often, but as time went on our letters were fewer and further apart." Bacall ran a hand through his hair, "I will speak honestly Athele, I cannot imagine how this village has managed to last so long. I was so in the dark. Gondor faced no problems, so I foolishly believed that all was well everywhere."

"So, you were in Gondor? I had heard that you went away, but did not know where too, I was just a child when you went, and the dealings of adults did not concern me." Athele sighed then looked around the room, she recognized every person in this room, she had grown up with them. She looked back at Bacall, " I'm sorry that your father did not tell you sooner. I do not know his reasons, but I know he loves you."

"Yes," Bacall replied, "I was in Gondor. I was there hunting great game everyday for the steward. He gave me that job after I won a tournament there. All that time bringing down large beasts, now I return home and I cannot even find a rabbit to kill to feed my family." He followed Athele's gaze around the room, most strangers where she saw friends. He knew it was time for a shift in discussion, "And what of you Athele, what have you been up too these long years? Given up on scheming with Rethe against Thearl? I remember those times in youth when we would quarrel back and forth, you girls always trying to get the best of us."

Athele laughed, a rare thing these days. "Yes, though we haven't succeeded yet, not really that is, we manage to get the last word sometimes, but ... the Blight has changed us all, we can no longer fool around and act like children." Athele let the conversation change, "When we lived on our farm, my father and I made a beautiful garden, I plan to go back to it after the Blight is over."

"I'm sure you will make it return with a vengeance when this is finally over." Bacall told her. "I shall remain and help my family get the fields back up again. After that, who knows. Either I shall return to my duty in Gondor or I'll remain here, only time will tell." His eyes wandered back Dwelian wandering about the room and he sighed, "I wonder what rubbish that fool will preach tonight, what lies he will try to make truths? Whatever they may be, I'm bound to do all I can to prove his words false, by any means necessary." He pounded his fist on his leg. That crafty man disgusted him and he wouldn't trust him as far as he could throw him.

Athele hoped that Bacall would stay in their town, she had never had a crush before and she wanted to find out what kind of a future she would have after the Blight, and strangely she wanted to find out with Bacall. That thought made her blush and question her heart. She looked up and followed his gaze, she didn't trust Dwelian either, though she didn't know why. "I hope that he doesn't continue with his belief that the elves are the cause, I don't know what is, but I don't think the elves are."

Bacall made note her blush and wondered on it for a moment. It truly seemed that, despite being thin from long years living in the Blight, Athele was a charming and lovely woman. Bacall was pleasantly surprised at the woman she had turned into. He scoffed at her last words, "I have no doubt that he will be making the same claims as he started with last night. I for one know that the elves wouldn't be behind this, and I would be willing to stake my life on that. Every fiber in me screams that they would never do something like this, it is simply not their way." He realized that everyone was taking their seats and he knew that the meeting was about to begin, "I guess we will find out very soon either way." Bacall whispered to Athele as the gathering slowly grew quieter.

Athele noted the quieting, and sat back in her chair, the chairs were set up close together, so that the whole town could fit in the room. And because of that she could feel Bacall's leg right beside her, she liked it and was amazed to feel so free with a man she hardly knew. She briefly wondered how her mother would like Bacall. But the council was starting and she needed her thoughts focused on the now, she could daydream later. Instead she leaned over and whispered "I'm thankful that you are here, I'm not sure anyone in this council would be able to stand up to Dwelian and his accusations, we don't have enough knowledge for such things." She was acutely aware of him beside her.

Bacall was grateful for Athele's words, and he hoped she was right. Though he could not say anymore as the council commenced, he reached a hand over and wrapped it around hers that rested on her knee and giving a light squeeze of thanks.

Athele felt a surge of happiness and pride. She was sitting with Bacall, a great hunter, and a handsome man! But she had to quickly push her feelings aside so that she could think about the council, since it was starting. But she never would forget the feeling of his hand in hers.
kellymulder
Send Message
on: September 07, 2005 03:23
(I am sorry for not posting, I have been really busy lately... since no one has posted in a while I guess everyone is at the council, I will let the Mayor start it)

The Mayor climbed the stage, with Dwelian on his heels. Murmurs of the crowd finding their place slowly faded away as people were expecting the council to start soon. "Wait here..." the Mayor mouthed to Dwelian when they were on the side of the stage, out of the view of the people inside the hall. He then walked up to the middle of the stage where the lectern stood.

He coughed to get the attention and the murmurs died out as everyone turned their face towards the stage. "Good evening fellow members of this town. This night we will use to reach a decision, as a town. Like yesterday, Mister Dwelian will be the one to open the discussion. If everyone has said what they wanted to say we will vote..." The Mayor paused and glanced into the hall, he saw a few faces he recognised but he still couldn't discover his son between the crowds... Maybe he had just taken a position in the back of the hall, though that wasn't really like Thearl.

The Mayor looked up and continued "Right now I'd like to give the word to Mister Dwelian." The Mayor left the stage and sat himself down on an empty chair, nodding to Dwelian as he passed him on his way down.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 08:50
(Sorry it's been a while since I last posted, but everything's been a bit hectic lately. I'll try and post more often from now on I may be a little rusty!)

Dwelian nodded a little as the Mayor passed him before he made his way leisurely into the center of the stage. There was the small stand used by the Mayor for addressing the audience. He kept his eyes on the townsfolk, and was careful not to blink to much. There was no sign of Thearl. He coughed once before he then started.

"Once again, good evening." he paused a moment to find that the room stayed silent as he spoke. His confidence was immense; even though he was slightly worried about how the meeting would end.

"You all know why we are here, so I shall skip the introductions and get right to the point. This blight has been going on for too long. You and your town has already suffered too much... and tonight we are going to decide what we should do about your situation."

"I have already given you my views on the matter, and I also have heard some of your valid opinions and thoughts. Perhaps now we can begin to come to an agreement to what should be done." There was a small murmor at this point, so Dwelian hurried on before the crowd became too loud. "I believe it is the elves responsibility, and I have produced proof. But only you, the townsfolk can alter your fate. I say act now before it is too late. But let us open this discussion to all, so we may hear all theories. Would anyone care to speak first?"

He looked around the room expectantly. People seemed to be thinking this over carefully, and a few even looked as if they were about to stand up. Dwelian had used his words wisely. He had made the people believe that they were in control, and that they had say in what happened after the meeting adjourned. Where as in truth, Dwelian knew exactly what the situation would be tomorrow morning. Someone put thier hand up, and then slowly stood up to speak.

[Edited on 15/9/2005 by Aerhíril]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email