Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Child's Destiny
on: December 28, 2005 11:50
((Sounds like just about everything to me...))

Radak didn't have time to fight back or even to recognize that his life was in danger. Firnion himself didn't seem to have time to think about what he was doing. He seemed to only realize what he had done after it was over. Grak was awestruck at what had just happened. He knew that Radak had not wanted to follow the boy, but how did Firnion know?

Risar broke the awkward silence. He addressed Firnion, "What has just happened is not to be spoken of. You are our leader and no explanation of your actions is required." He then turned to Garmak, "Go. You know what to do." Garmak ran off into the tunnels. He was going to gather the scattered orcs that were nearby. They would meet up with them later. The old orc turned to Grak, "Tell him."

Grak hesistated. Then he sighed and explained to Firnion, "I told you earlier that there would be no need of proof that you are the new leader of our people because of your knife and because I would stand beside you. Well, there is one last sign that will make the others follow you..." He looked up at Risar and the old orc turned away and went to sit down on a large rock by the wall.

Grak looked at Firnion again, "Garmak is going to gather as many orcs as he can. We will meet with them later and reveal you as the annointed one. We'll show them the knife, but they will then look for one more sign... The final sign... You must kill Risar in clear sight of all who are gathered." Firnion seemed confused. He looked up at Risar. The old orc did not look at him. Risar knew that this must happen. If he didn't go along with it, some younger, stronger orc would kill him anyway. So he might as well die of his own accord.

Grak continued, "Risar is the commander of the remaining orc troops. In an orc army, when there is new leadership, it is because he has taken that position by killing the old leader." Firinion seemed to be taking the information in as well as he could. After Grak had finished, he asked the boy if he had any questions, but Firnion just shook his head and turned away.

The three stayed behind a while and ate. Then they left the same way Garmak had gone. They came after a while to an opening. It was a clear night sky that greeted them. Grak went out of the tunnel first and came back in a few minutes to tell them they could come out. They traveled through the night until they came to a long, desolate valley. About a mile later, they came to a shallow cave sheltered in the valley about an hour before dawn.

Grak finally said that they should stop. He could see that Firnion was exhausted. They would wait there in the cave for the others...

[Edited on 7/1/2006 by peonyfoxburr]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 04:49
Firnion had killed his first livign being, ad he thought surely the orcs would turn on him for it. How could he explain his actions? Instead, he was surprised. They did not hate him for it. They wanted him to do it again.

He had heard that orcs were bloodthirsty, but he didn't know whether to believe it. And yet- Grak ad seemed so genuine, so friendly, that he didn't want to breakhis friend's trust in him.

Alright he thoght. I'll do it for you , friend.

After eating, they began walking again. The dark seemed to press around Firnion as they went, even in their brief time above the ground. It was as if every step the orcs became clearer, and all else began to fade.

Just as the stars seemed to fade forever, as all light would, a new light took shape in his mind. Before his dazzled eyes, dim at first but steadily growing brighter, his mother's face shone. Her image and brilliance did not hinder his sight, rather she cast a light where all had been dim before. The orcs now, he saw, were growing faint instead.

And then, he saw his family, or rather the family he had always known. A glimpse of Gil-Taur bentover an odd globe, concern written all over his face, Lessien playing her music, everyone in the great kingdom searching for him. And suddenly, he was afraid.

These are my friends! he shouted silently at his mother's face. You don't know them! Grak is my friend! GO AWAY!

Suddenly her shining face was gone, and the orcs pressed close around him, clear and strong. He suddenly felt exhausted, as Grak seemed to notice. Soon they called to a halt.

Firnion sat huddled in the corner, trying to sleep. It was cold, but he did not want to admit to his followers such a weakness. Finall giving up, he walked over to Grak.

"Friend," he said. "I thought Risar was your friend. Will you hate me when I kill him? It is something you said I must do."
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 02:43
"I thought Risar was your friend. Will you hate me when I kill him? It is something you said I must do."

Grak was a little taken aback by this question. He never once thought that the boy would be concerned about him. He was an orc, after all, with no regard for others' feelings. He motioned for the boy to sit down and sat down next to him.

He turned to the boy and for the first time Grak had no pre-rehearsed answer to the boy's question. At first he stumbled for the right words, "Yes. You are right. It is something you must do..." He thought for a moment to better explain to Firnion why... "It is in the prophecy that the new leader would be someone who would take the leadership for himself. I know that is not honorworthy in human armies, but in an orc army it is the only way..."

"You see... If we had not been waiting for you, Risar would have been killed a long time ago, but everyone knew he was one of the only ones who still knew the prophecy. We needed him. As for being my friend... You are my only friend."

Risar was not far away and could faintly hear what the two were talking about. He did not care that Grak did not consider him a friend and would have laughed if he had tried to convince the boy that they were friends, but something else was eating at him. There was a growing sense of hatred toward the boy. Risar knew that Firnion must kill him to prove to the others that he was the one in the prophecy, but what was that to Risar? Why should he care if they knew him as their new leader if he wasn't going to be around to see the benefits of it?

Grak tried to see if the boy understood... "Orcs don't usually have friends. In fact, I don't know why I consider you my friend. I don't really know what a friend is... Perhaps it is because we were meant to be friends as the prophecy says."

Grak was getting uncomfortable talking about friendship and things he really didn't know about. "Why don't you sleep for a while? Or maybe you should have something to drink. The other orcs will be here shortly and you must not show any signs of weakness in front of them."

Grak eyed the knife at the boy's side. He wondered about how the boy knew which orc to kill. He also wondered, if the boy knew which orcs were against him, why hadn't he tried to kill him? He looked away for a moment. Then he turned to the boy and, without knowing why, he asked, "Do you miss your mother?"
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 11:51
Firnion was not expecting the question, and his first impulse was to tell the truth- no. How could he when she was always there? But something held him back. He wasn't sure why, but for the first time was reluctant to share with his friend. So, he lied.

"My mother? Why would I? She died when I was very little, and I don't remeber her. No, I miss my friends-"

He trailed off, not having meant to say that. He did not want Grak to think that he was weak, or that he did not consider Grak to be a friend. He sighed at looked up at Risar, who seemed to be battling with himself. He felt an overhwelming sense of pity for the old orc, knowing what must happen.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 02:25
Grak was still wondering why he even asked such a stupid question, but he finally convinced Firnion to lie down for a while and go to sleep. The others would be there towards the end of the day and the boy had plenty of time to rest.

Grak's head was still swimming from the conversation he had just had with Firnion. He had to take a walk. What he needed was to kill something - anything and taste fresh meat. He hadn't had fresh meat since he had been with the boy. He didn't want Firnion to be frightened by his orkish brutality.

He talked to Risar. "I have to get out of here for a while... Stay with the boy and make sure he is undisturbed!" Grak didn't feel strange giving the old orc orders. He knew that he was the closest to Firnion and Risar would not protest.

As Grak walked out of the cave, Risar's face turned into an evil grimace of a smile. Imagine! Grak giving me orders, he thought to himself. He turned to look at the boy. He looks so weak... Risar had begun to have doubts about the prophecy ever since he saw the boy, but when he killed the orc in the cave, his doubts were answered. This is the prophesied child..., but what does that matter to me.

Risar looked out where Grak had gone. He was no where in sight. Grak wouldn't be long. He was a good hunter. Besides, Risar knew that Grak didn't trust him. He went over to the boy. An evil grin twitched on his hideous face as he knelt beside the boy's form. He raised his own knife above Firnion's heart. Risar felt great satisfaction as he brought the blade down.
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 10:59
Firnion, feelingexhausted, had gone to bed. He lay there, dreams dancing through his head, wondering about all the things that had happened to him. He missed his old friends, for although Grak was good company in this strange place he did not entirely feel at home. He wondered if he even had a home now.

Sinking deeper into his dreams, he found himself walkign down a hallway. The path was dark, and often he stubled on the uneven ground. Suddenly a door loomed ahead of him. It was a wooden door, and looked like it belonged to a small cottage. He put his hand up, but it swung open before he even touched it.

He had a moment to notice the blood on the ground, and then he saw his mother. She was beautiful, her dark violet eyes seemign to see straight into his heart. Lower down, her gauzy gown was torn, and soaked with blood.

The knife in his hand suddnely burned hot, and looking down he saw it too covered in his dear mother's blood.

"My child, my heart, my blessing," she cried. "Why does this happen to you? Beware!"

The last word she screamed out, wakign him, and he sat bolt upright, knife in hand. A searing pain shot through his left arm, and a sticky wetness covered his right hand. Looking up, he saw Risar's stricken look, before Grak roughly pulled the dead orc off.

Firnion now saw that he had stabbed the old orc through the heart upon sitting up, and in doing so had saved his own life. Risar's own knife was now stuck through his left arm, the tip visible onthe other side. Firnion knew a second later and it would have been his heart.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2006 04:52
A few seconds after Grak had left the cave, he ran into Garmak and the others coming to meet them. He signaled to the many coming toward him to halt. Then he went over to Garmak, "You are here sooner than I thought you would be. The boy is sleeping..."

Garmak replied, "They are anxious to see if he is really the one. I don't think they will wait. Wake him!"

Grak sneered at him. Garmak didn't understand humans. They are frail and need rest. He supposed it would be best to get this over with anyway. "Let's go..."

They entered the cave just in time to see Risar try to kill Firnion. Grak and the others were amazed to see the boy seemingly kill Risar in his sleep. Grak ran over and helped the boy lift the heavy ork off him. Firnion was very brave and didn't yell or cry from the pain in his arm when Risar pulled the blade out. He only flinched a little. Risar got a cloth and tightly wrapped it around the wound.

He whispered to Firnion while he was wrapping his arm, "Don't worry. You'll be fine. These are the others that were going to meet with us later. We can get rid of them in a few minutes. Then, you can rest. Show no weakness to them... Stand with me."

Grak then stood up and addressed the awestruck crowd of orks in the cave entrance. "Are there any doubts now? Prophecy has been fulfilled before your eyes." Grak went over and wrenched Firnion's knife from Risar's body. He held it up displaying it to them. "The knife that killed his mother and the knife that killed your leader." Risar pointed the knife to Firnion. "He is your leader now."

The other orks began to murmur. Some were still full of doubts and others believed Firnion was the One. The crowd grew louder and just as Grak was about to quiet them, he heard a strong voice from behind him.

"Silence!" It was Firnion, but his voice sounded different. It sounded like the voice of one in charge of an army. Grak stepped back and Firnion stepped forward until they were side by side. Then Firnion began to speak...

[Edited on 10/4/2006 by peonyfoxburr]
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2006 04:34
"I am the One, and I will show no mercy or tolerance for those who disobey me. You full well know the Prophecy, and you full well know the consequences. You are orc kind!" Firnion was amazed to hear these words from his mouth, for though they seemed fitting, he was not entirely sure he knew what they meant. The words just seemed to flow of their own accord. "You know what to do. Begin the Gathering. Go forth, at daybreak we move." Suddenly exhausted, he turned with a sweepign motion, returning to solitude.

Shaking all over, he did not understand what had just happened. He did not know the source of the orders he had just given, or why, but they seemed right. From the corner of his eye, he watched to see what the orcs would do.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email