Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
Post Dwarvish, Black Speech, and Rohirric
on: February 10, 2005 04:32
This is an experimental thread to see what happens with it. It will be devoted to all the people who want a place to talk about Tolkien's other *gasp* non-Elvish languages !! Have fun !!
Aelgas
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Dwarvish, Black Speech, and Rohirric
on: February 10, 2005 11:46
I'd love the opportunity to learn Rohirric, but I fear there's too little attested material.

Anglo-Saxon (or Old English if you prefer) might be discussed instead... I tried to learn it long ago but gave up having no one to share it with.

It's a real pity Tolkien didn't produce more Rohirric, perhaps he'd have simplified A-S in the same way as Sindarin simplifies Welsh.

BTW, you didn't mention Adûnaic in the topic title Naneth, is there already a forum/thread for that?
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 12:10
What splendid taste you have, Aelgas. I don't have much knowledge of Old English, but enough to put words together to make names for the DB here. As for Adûnaic, I came pretty close to knowing that whole language a year back... all hundred or so words of it...
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 08:02
Anglo Saxon is quite fascinating. I have really enjoyed the (granted limited) time I put into it. Definitely worth learning if you like languages and speak English. Very enlightening.
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: February 12, 2005 05:52
You can talk about any language you want in this thread. We have had a few requests for a "general forum" for all Tolkien's other languages besides Elvish, but at this time Rivka thinks it best to stick with a few threads. There is no intention of providing lessons for the other languages .... just a place to talk about them for all those interested.
Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2005 07:51
Ooh, I'd be willing to try learning Anglo-Saxon if someone will be patient with me (I'm taking Spanish as well) and be my study buddy!
Nice topic Naneth.
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 20, 2005 02:06
I'd love to continue learning Dwarvish, if anyone else is interested in it as well. it's quite interesting, not as hard as elvish, I found...

Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 20, 2005 03:43
Hmm. I didn't know it was possible to learn Dwarvish, the corpus being so scanty... What I would like to study (if it were possible), would be Adûnaic, but I'm afraid I don't even understand completely the more basic concepts like word-bases (?).
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 20, 2005 04:29
ABagginsOfTheShire, you should talk to an admin about setting up Dwarvish lessons. If you got lessons set up like the Quenya and Sindarin ones, I'm sure you could find people to use the language with. I would be interested.
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 07:04
orthanc5 ~ I'm glad someone else is interested. I have contacted one of the admins, and I think they're thinking about it. I hope so!
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 10:34
ABagginsOfTheShire, you should talk to an admin about setting up Dwarvish lessons. If you got lessons set up like the Quenya and Sindarin ones, I'm sure you could find people to use the language with. I would be interested.

I don't think that it would really be possible. There are only about sixty attested words. We have only three attested verbs, two attested prepositions, and only one attested pronoun. The few examples we have don't give a clear idea of the grammar of Khuzdul. Everything we know about the language is highly speculative.
Erutanie_Litsos
Obnoxious Futbol Maharishi & Local Fremen
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 09:11
I'd love to learn Old English sometime. I have a ton of links to lessons, translations, etc. but just haven't had time to actually sit down and work through them...

If anybody wants the links I've found, I'd be happy to post them here or PM them to you. You'll probably make more use of them than I will right now.

And I think Adunaic would be extremely interesting to learn as well.

Tanie
LOTRfan
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 07:04
I'd love to learn any of those languages! I went to Ardalambion a while back and printed out everything for all the languages and started reading. It's really hard with out somewhere to practice though.

Anglo Saxon sounds a bit more worthwhile though because it's complete. Eruntanie_Litsos, could you post those links? I'd really like to check them out. Thanks!

-Lotrfan
Shadow_Nazgul
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 02:20
I'd love to study the Black Speech! Since it's spoken by my favorite people ^_~. But that would be a lot of fun.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2011 11:22
I'd want more than anything to learn the Khuzdul tongue. But sadly, just as the Dwarves in general, it is one of Tolkien's works that was never fleshed out fully
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: July 25, 2011 06:03
Judging by the glimpses of dwarves shown in PJs video blog so far, there'll be a bit of [movie] Khuzdul in The Hobbit movies. It might be interesting if seriously done and not just invented words strung together.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2011 09:41
I saw that video about an hour after I posted and it gave me some hope! I had know idea that you pronounced "Khuzdul" like that, either! Also, it looked like they had some sort of language teachers for Dwarvish, so maybe their are some out there after all...
Gladhaniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2011 02:28
Yes, I'm also really eager to see what PJ and his team are going to do regarding the Khuzdul language. I've never planned to learn it, but I still find it fascinating and interesting and would like to learn more about it. Perhaps the release of the movies is going to make the amount of Dwarves- and Khuzdul-lovers increase a lot, who knows?
LordoftheWolfDale
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2011 02:51
my favorite ;anguage is rohirric, i really wish it was used more in the films (but understands why it wasnt) and i believe no matter how popular the other languages get, Rohirric will be on top for the simple fact its a true language, people spoke it for hundreds of years, they very foundations of out tongue
zenell
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Dwarvish, Black Speech, and Rohirric
on: May 21, 2012 05:21
I can`t say that I have a favourite but I have spent GREAT deal of time translating so if anyone would like a language sheet of all of the black speech rohirric and noldorin on this website feel free to ask and I will send you a private message
FairionB
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2012 01:46
Black Speech is much better than any other language.
Ash nazg gimbatul
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2012 02:09
I wish they'd include some (Neo-)Adûnaic or Westron, even if simply in the lyrics. It'd be interesting to see the take of the movies' language coaches on that evolutionary pair again... most importantly, the atmosphere the words create. And of course, how the fragments would go with the theories of people like Lalaith (of "Middle-earth Science Pages") or myself... or what new insights (in language-taste near and far) one might even find THROUGH them.
Hurion
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2012 08:58
I would love to learn all of these languages but that would be extremely hard so if I had to pick one it would be Khuzdul even though I think that there are zero resources to learn a language that Tolkien never exactly made.
EruwaedhielOfRohan
Council Member
Send Message
I would love to learn Anglo-Saxon if I could actually have someone to learn it with. Languages have always interested me, and I'm currently learning Latin, French, and Sindarin.
Image Image
mableb25
Council Member
Send Message
I do believe it would be interesting to learn Rohirric, anyone with me?
Member of the Realm of Lorien Be at peace, Son of Gondor.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
There is a very good book called 'First steps in Old English', I used it in my own studies - I would strongly advise you start with 'normal' Old English before looking at the Mercian dialect itself.
Feylinn
Council Member
Send Message
Does anyone know who helped develop the Black Speech used by the Orcs in any of the movies? And if they have published any material discussing how they developed it? I know from the books and appendices that Tolkien states Black Speech is a corruption of Elvish, but other than a few words and/or phrases here and there, the material is pretty scanty (understandable when one realizes that the Elves were Tolkien's favorite race).
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Feylinn said:Does anyone know who helped develop the Black Speech used by the Orcs in any of the movies? And if they have published any material discussing how they developed it?

As far as I know, David Salo is still providing all the translations for the people filming the New Line Hobbit trilogy. His blog, midgardsmal.com includes a couple of posts about his effort to develop the cinematic Neo-Orcish dialects.

Pertinent dialogs from the 2012 film can be found transcribed here.

Of course, in addition to this particular enterprise connected with Peter Jackson & co., there are also people like Scatha (thelandofshadow.com), Adragoor, and myself who have from time to time occupied ourselves with essentially the same reconstructive Gordian Knot independently.

[Edited on 12/26/2013 by Elhath]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email