Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Varwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Godmodding?
on: March 04, 2005 02:19
Just curious, what is Godmodding? I hear about it but I can't find the defintion anywhere.
sweetlittleelf
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Godmodding?
on: March 04, 2005 06:23
Goddmodding means that when you RP you pretend to be all powerful and/or have special powers. E.g.

Lady harissa reached out with her laica sword whick automaticaly kills anything thats near it. Her horse, kara, who could fly and could kill orcs by looking at them Ect. I am almost positive that is the definitition. Hope I helped.

_mook_
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 06:55
Yup that's pretty much it, usually has to do with also being so perfect you're annoying. All powerfull, ya know GODmodding. It happens alot unfortunatley, "she raised her hand and the army all died." not much fun in an rpg.
Varwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 01:42
Ahh, so thats what it is. Thanks guys!
gollum_2003
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 01:01
I have some more info on godmoding here, gained from a familiar haunt of mine.

GODMODING
There are different kinds of godmoding, all of which will be described in turn:

Combat God Moding:
The individual being greater than could feasibly be possible within the grounds of a reality based situation, albeit within a fantasy setting. Infringing on another players rights, with the use of Autoing (automatically injuring / killing without consent). You may RP minor actions which will not disable your opponent to fight back with full strength, so small things like a small puff with the fist are allowed.

Character God Mode:
These occur when an individual claims unlikely heritage, for example, they are the mortal form of a Dragon from long ago, or the offspring of two Valar, or in other ways a more powerful form of being. Some of us are such, by right. We have been trusted with those positions by Eru. A lesser form of this occurs when one might post being the one time lover of Faramir, or the lost child of Luthien, unchronicled.

Story Line God Modes:
These are hard to spot, and the lesser ones are all part of what makes an RPG unique. As a casual member you will hardly ever spot these, since only the GM really knows what is agreed or what is intended for the Story Line. A Story Line God Mode occurs when a member drastically alters the course of an RPG story line without the consent / knowledge of the GM. Some of these are simple to bring back on track. Its part of the art of GMing. Some of them are not easy to bring back on track. If allowed to go too far, or seen too late, the RPG is dea in the water without the deletion of an entire thread or multiple posts. The situation can also be addressed with some seriously creative GMing and a major delay in getting back to what WAS intended.

This probably answers any question you have
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 04:42
i agree with everything being said but i just wanna add a bit...

if you're just coming into a thread that's been around for...maybe 2 or 3 pages (bad way to measure time, i know), let's say that you have read everything up to the current spot and have a chara and everything ready and stuff....depending on the RPG, you don't want to bring your chara in and make them all 'hero-like'....it is a form of the Story Line God Moding.....but it might be a very minor form. the best thing to do (and this is coming from a relatively new RPGer) is to get into the RP, your chara gets to know the other charas, and then you can get into 'plot twisting'...but that's only if its unscripted...scripted, and your in trouble...

so yeah, there's my 2 cents....
Echileru_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 04:53
that was really helpful. i too was wondering want the heck godmoding was!
DameMercure
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2005 12:54
So, in other words, Godmodding is almost the same (or at least in the same category) as a Mary-Sue. Well, thats also answered my question.
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: April 12, 2005 08:30
Mary-Sues generally aren't as powerful as godmodders and tend to be allowed. Mary Sue can fight off fifteen men and come out unscathed. A godmodder can see an army and think them gone and they will be gone. Godmodders use powers that their character shouldn't have (and often never had before that time) to stop the story going a way they don't want, and destroy the fun of others by doing so ('hey, we wanted to fight that army!'). Godmodding is similar to a case of Deus ex machina, except instead of a character turning up to solve an unsolveable problem, a previously unmentioned skill, spell or power shows up.
Baranor
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 08:11
Thank you, that is indeed most helpful.Thanks.
Napolde
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 01:23
So Godmodding, in a way, is being so powerful everyone has to wear shades in your presence, and they keep bowing to you 'cause you're so amazing and powerful and of noble heritage and they're lucky to be on her good side(asuming she has one) and- oh. my. gosh. My sister is a GodModder. There was the Drow who attacked Isri and Galdor. When Galdor became confused and attacked her, she simply used magical rope to tie them to a tree. So there's another definition of GodModding.
Nénuwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 08:15
Am I assuming that if you control another person's character it would count as godmodding? If you have a casual conversation with a character in a post, like a "hi, how are ya..." kind of thing would that still count? Especially if you asked them first?
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 11:22
I tend to work on the lines that a few sentences as someone else's character e.g. in respose to a question from yours, so long as it does not tweak the character's history or previously unknown thoughts and feelings, is OK.
Asking first or grovelling after is always a good idea though. lol.

Another one I hadn't thought about 'til it got pointed out to me is if your character gets wounded in a fight and they just carry on going through lots more fights with no time to heal or anything, then that's unnatural and godmodding.
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 04:07
Is this an example of Godmodding? I had a character in a WOTR RPG that was an elf that was born at Cuvienen. When trying to save a group of elves in the Misty Mountains, she destroyed like, ten orcs with a powerful spell.
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: June 21, 2005 07:06
It depends on the style of the RP. If you're in one where magic is more commonplace then not at all, it would only be considered godmodding to, for example, wipe out an army. If you were in an RP where magic is downplayed and available only to a very few (the line PJ seemed to take in the films) then it might be.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 26, 2005 11:07
Another one I hadn't thought about 'til it got pointed out to me is if your character gets wounded in a fight and they just carry on going through lots more fights with no time to heal or anything, then that's unnatural and godmodding.

That's annoying beyond reason. >.< it takes away any chance of the rp being realistic.

I have a question-- what is it called when a person keeps turning the story to center on their character? exe. their character keeps needing rescusing, or keeps saving the day, keeps saving everyone else, etc.... I think thats called hijacking, but I'm not really sure about the term. it might even be allowed, but it does get annoying after its done over and over...
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: June 27, 2005 05:54
I've always called that hijacking, I don't know if there's a more commonly-used term for it. If it's done to the point where it makes the RP less enjoyable for everyone else then you could take it to the mods, but this is one of those things you send a polite PM to the user about first A character in an RPG who always saves the day is a Mary Sue, regardless of what s/he scores on the test, and is an unpleasant phenomenon.
She_of_the_White_Flames
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 12:57
Some times a char who always needs resquewing can also be a mary sue. (Poor Marie, as she was carried off by the orcs all the others could think was that they had to save her...)
Sad bit is, that's a cut and paste quote from a RPG I saw once.
Johan_Oder
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 06:15
I'm pretty sure its also when you like kill of Aragorn in your story. Or sauron gets the ring. You know big influentiol stuff that didnt happen
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 01:25
here is the wikepedia definition of Godmodding
Aesculus
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 12:23
You probably got the definition already just that it's one word: Irritating.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email