Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Jewelry: circlets, necklaces etc.
on: March 19, 2005 07:25
I'd like to make an elven circlet...however, the only materials avaliable to me are some wire and beads... but I'm really at a loss about how to tackle this project. I'd like one to wear to the prom... and I can't afford a lot of tin or anything.
anyone able to help me out? links or tips would be greatly appreciated!! ^_^ oh ya, I have 2 weeks. HAAH! 0-0

[Edited on 19/3/2005 by dreamdancer]

[Edited on 20/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Jewelry: circlets, necklaces etc.
on: March 19, 2005 02:53
I know alleycatscratch.com/lotr has instructions for circlets, I don't know if they have any without tin, but I bet it could be done with some simple adapting. Post again when you make it, because I've been wondering how a simple one could be made myself.
Eruvyreth_Himiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 02:58
Legolas's circlet is very easy to make, just bending wire. And it's very pretty too. modelling wire is not expensive, so you can try that.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 20, 2005 02:35
I tried bending the wire... it won't bend smoothly. bleh. I'm still looking, and if I find anything I'll let yall know!
Faerfaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2005 04:53
Your local craft shop should have some pliers especially made for wire work -- instead of toothed flat grabby-things, they have two cylinders. This lets you get a nice even curve. They'll also likely have all kinds of wire, though the Michael's near me only has really thin stuff, not suited for the circlets.

Another place to look is your local hardware store -- you may be able to find some electrician's cable with pretty thick copper wire inside.

EldarChild
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2005 03:59
Don't forget that you can always spraypaint the wire if it's the wrong color (like silver if your wire's copper) this way you can make the 'two toned' circulets.
Faerfaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2005 06:01
Cool -- hadn't even thought of that!

I don't know if it would work on copper, but I once took some silver earrings to a jeweler and had them do what he called a gold "wash" on part of them -- now I have gold dragonflies with silver wings!

Anyhow, I imagine the same might be possible with a circlet you make. It wasn't too expensive either. My earrings were like $10, though of course that's a lot less area than a circlet. I can't imagine it being *too* much more though.

dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 12:56
thanks yall! ^_~ I'm not going to have this thing done in time for the prom, but I'm working on it nonetheless, with the help of my aunt. the wire I'm using it wire I took off another thingy... a christmas thing, I believe. its coming along slowly..
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 03:46
If you don't mind something simpler and easier, may I suggest using beading wire (very very fine) and braiding it? It's not expensive-- five or six bucks for a thirty yard spool-- and it can be found at most craft stores, I expect, and certainly at any beading stores.
A braid made with four strands, each with two or three pieces of wire, can be relatively easily made (at least if you're familiar with four strand braiding). You can bend it easily after making it, then glue a heavier wire onto the straight parts to keep it a proper circlet...

I made one with a gold seed bead on one side of each twist of the braid, and a purple/gold pendant in the middle of the brow, and it took little more than a weekend.
sparrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 04:10
How do you 4-strand braid? (links?...)
Fellowship
Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: June 21, 2006 06:05
ok I know I'm probably too late but I just want to suggest that I used a leather strap that I had, Tied it at the ends and wore it. It looked pretty good!
Rohan_Naur
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2006 03:17
this is also probably too late but if it won't bend smoothly try bending it around something round like your finger or a pen.
Lady_Lúthien78
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:40
Hi everyone.

I've decided to make my own elven earrings. If anyone have any tips on where to find patterns please write them here...
I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!!

[Edited on 19/2/2006 by Lady_Lúthien78]
ithillinde
Creator of Reality
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:40
I make a lot of jewelry myself, a good place for supplies, how-to information and inspiration is www.firemountain.com
Lady_Lúthien78
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:41
Thank you so much!!
musicalgal123
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
firemountain is amazing for supplies. Also, if you have any of the Lotr bookmarks that came with charms and the charms fell off the book mark... The charms are great for jewlery. Because of the charms I now have a pair of earings that look like they came from Lorien!

Also check out a local craft store. I'm not sure what stores are in your areas, but there are quite a few in my area with a great selection of beads. So check there also.

[Edited on 7/3/2006 by musicalgal123]
sayyadina
Council Member
Send Message
If there's one in your area, you could try Beadworks. They're in Dallas, Provedance, Boston, Cambridge, Philadelphia and Norwalk. They also have a website, where you can buy beads. http://www.beadworks.com/us/

Edited for link

[Edited on 15/4/2006 by Elioclya]
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:42
I'm really interested in learning to make my Own Elvish looking Jewellery.

I have made some bracelets (just with beads) and Necklaces, but would love some suggestions for lotr necklace/bracelet/ear~rings sets or even individual items.

I would also love to make some hair decorations, Elvish style . . .

Anybody made some of their own ?? Want to discuss ideas ?? instructions?? Sites that supply materials, beads etc?? :love:
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:42
Unlike BoH or HfG I hope to make my Rangers (for my fan film) close to Tolkeins discription, anyway, The Rangers all wore the star of the dunedain upon there left should, now I can't find a brooch anywhere that looks like a many rayed star.

So I figured I'm gonna have to try and make one, however I wondered if some budding artists could draw some designs for me? then I can put them all together and try and get the best interperatation of the brooch I can.

Everyone who posts a drawing will be put in the credits of my fan film, under 'concept art' so include your name, or I will use you CoE nickname (if I ever get it done)

Thanks for any help, I really need it!
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:43
Hmm...cool! Sounds like something I'd do...if I got around to it...and scanning any doodles... :rolleyes:

I'm not a great artist by any stretch of the word...but I love doing doodles of costume and jewelry concepts .
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
*suddenly has an idea* hmmm... maybe i will try this after all...
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message

OK...so it's not very good...but I doodle during family devotions to keep my hands busy...

But I figured I'd upload it anyway...
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:44
Thanks for your interest guys

And lucy_took, Thats actully good, I never throught of having a small star upon and large star....Thanks, keep the designs coming in, as I want to get as many as I can so I can put them all together and try and get the perfect image of the sar of the Dunedain.

Tanks again!
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:44
This is something I made that looks a bit like the Evenstar. Sorry if it's a bit blurry.

What do you think?

[Edited on 30/1/2010 by Feyna]

[Edited on 30/1/2010 by Feyna]
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:45
wow that is so cool Feyna! How did you do it?
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you!
I did it mostly by trial and error starting off by altering a project from a magazine (that looks nothing like the one you see here) and after many tries I got it right.

I also made pretty matching earrings and a flower version of this, which I might post later on.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Good job! Very elvish looking.
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:46
Thank you! Here are the earings along with a pretty flower necklace. This is pictured larger then actual size, the beads are really tiny.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Feyna/Misc/Jewelry/elvennecklace.jpg
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
They're beautiful Feyna! Very very elvish!
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, I have a passion in making LOTR jewelry. This necklace was baseed on the one that Galadriel wore...though it doesn’t' look quite like it but still pretty none the less.
Tulcadhiel_Greenleaf
News Admin & Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:47
Wow, that's so pretty, Feyna =D
I saw the title and was like, OMGosh..." bearded evenstar?!" But I'm glad to see its jewelery, haha. It looks so nice, I would never have the patience to put that all together =O
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
LOL! And thanks everyone for the comments!

[Edited on 28/1/2012 by Feyna]
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Great job with the earings Feyna, thy look great. You must have very steady hands to do such intricate work!
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:48
Thanks Aragorn16Estel, and yes it does take steady hands, sharp eyes and a lot of patince. A couple of times I have to remake the starflower becasue one of the beads broke.

And I'm at it again! My version of Eowyn's necklace, sorry if it's fuzzy, I'm still learning to use the new camera. I might tinker with this a bit more.

Should I sumit this to the CoD fan art?
Emeraldstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 01:48
*gasps*
That's so amazing Feyna! I love it!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email