Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~Stella~
Elemmírë of Varda and Merry\'s Illustrated Supper
Send Message
Post OOC: WIll Hope Be Found
on: May 20, 2005 12:48
This is the OOC thread for Will Hope Be Found (WHBF for short). We will talk plot, the rp, and anything else about the rpg.

What do you all think of the idea of this being a fan fiction and that we do a sequal afterwards - if we feel like it that is?

Gil (TheWhite~Istar) and I have been talking about to add to the rpg. Gil, will you do the honors of talking about it? Also, Arwen_the_evenstar and I have been working on more to the plot too - will you say what we have spoken of?

Will someone make a complete senopsis for the rpg?

TheWhite~Istar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: OOC: WIll Hope Be Found
on: May 20, 2005 01:32
Thank you Stella,
Together we have been thinking on how to spice up the story line. One of the better ways is to add a conflicting side, which will use the war between Rohan and Gondor for its advantage. As we all know, when the War of the Ring ended, and the One ring has been destroyed by Frodo in Mt. Doom, the Wraiths must have been destroyed with it.
However after giving it a thought, I remembered that Tolkien never said what happened to the Nine. From that it is fair to conclude that the Wraiths still do exist, only in form of spirits. Moreover, from my experience of reading other Tolkien literature, I know that Melkor, the first Dark Lord was defeated by the Valar, gods. After his defeat, Melkor was banished beyond the edge of the Earth, and was set a watch upon.
Originally from Melkor, some power went to Sauron, from whom it spread to the rest of evil. The Witch King of Angmar was an individually acting sorcerer in ancient times. After the realm of Angmar has been destroyed by men, the land was deserted and some sources claim that a watch has been set upon them.
On my last post in WHBF (20/5/2005) I have mentioned the following:
"Not far from the Great Hall, upon a hill, under the rain stood a young woman. She was gazing at the sky and singing to it. Her voice was beautiful, soft and full of feelings. This night was unlike other raining once which men have seen. It was deep with darkness; the very shadows crept from inside the night and surrounded everything with their pitiless forms."
Stella and I have thought about ways we can express that woman. We think that it would be interesting to introduce her as a sorceress or a witch. To further develop her character, I gave her this description. While the Witch King of Angmar was still at his rule, she was in love with him. She served him with all her heart, mind and dedication. However, he never recognized her as she was only a servant to his rule.
After the Realm of Angmar was destroyed, the Witch King was gone. The elves then forged many rings, the nine, the seven and the great three. However, Sauron forged a Master Ring. The elves have hidden their Three. The Dwarves have fled with the seven. Sauron got possession of the Nine and a few of the Dwarven rings after killing their berries.
Kings of men, great lords have received the Nine rings to become ever more powerful. But they were enslaved to the service of Sauron. Among them was the King of Angmar.
This woman, who lived to the day in Rohan, now seeks the spirit of her beloved Lord. She found a way to conjure his form, but not yet permanently and on the night of the great storm, she was giving the Wraiths her strength.
This gives us enough bases to further develop the story. We can resurrect the Witch King and other Wraiths.

Some of the ideas that came to my mind are:
Ideas:
1.) Woman under the rain
a) human/elven/maia
b) witch/sorceress/maia
c) Love with the Witch King of Angmar

2.) Conjuring of the Spirit if the Witch King
a) Summoning of the last dragons/balrogs
b) Multiplication of orcs
3.) Last of the Elves
a) Guards of Angmar

3) The Palantir
a) Contact with the Valar

4) Evil stirs in the edges of the world
a) The witch converses with Melkor
b) Dark Queen
c) Melkor returns

I have also had an experience of translating texts into different kinds of elvish. Therefore, I can make a healing song, or we can make a small guard tower in Angmar where elves still keep watch on the land.
~Gil-galad (A.K.A. TheWhite~Istar)

[Edited on 20/5/2005 by TheWhite~Istar]
~Stella~
Send Message
on: May 20, 2005 03:39
Thank you Gil for posting that. What do you all think of the ideas Gil has said?

Well, if we are going to turn this rp into a fan fic, we will need to edit some things - like spelling, and a few othe rlittle things. Also, Gil pointed out, that we should make a post to start the fan fic as well. How should we? Gil thinks we should also have a prequeal that starts with a poem that suits the mood of the fan fic.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2005 05:26
I love all these ideas. I must admit when I read the description of how the woman was standing there I though: Ahhh, this could get interesting and it seems that it will do. I like the fact that this woman could essentially: 'bring the witch king alive'. If i can say that! It would be most interesting and would really develop the story much further than other RPGs would. Most RPGs I have seen usually have orcs and stuff and a fight but then, that is it and nothing else develops with the orcs and such like. It will be most interesting. If there is anything I can do to help with any ideas like these in the above posts then please don't hesitate to ask me!

Suliad,
~Arwen
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 07:50
Phenominal! I am in shock and know not what to say. I heartilly agree with these ideas, and wish to see this story rise above the mundaneity that is RP plotting. So sorry, I got a little carried away. *ahem* This talk of witches and wraiths sounds amazing. And may I commend you for your research, Gil? Wonderful. Well, you know where to find me, I suppose. My username is there, and please don't hesitate to PM me about any sort of changes and/or if you need any help from me. Ah, darnit, I've gone on and on again... Did I accomplish anything? Nevermind. Just let me know what's going on, and I shall do my best to keep up and assist you in every way I can.
~Pip/Stella/Di

(What do you mean by synopsis, Stella? I could do it, if ye gave me some pointers on what it is you want.)
~Stella~
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 03:49
What I mean is do what Gil did with what talked about, tell our part of the plot. I have forgotten bits of it.
TheWhite~Istar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2005 11:39
Alright the main idea is based around the Witch King of Angmar. Basically before he became a wraith, I want to make it so that he was a great king of the Realm of Angmar. I am thinking of describing him as a dark sorcerer who had great skill with magic and necromancy.
In my opinion, the Wraiths are some of the most misunderstood characters in all the books by J.R.R. Tolkien. Yes, they were evil, yes they wanted power. But they were not always so. They only became the way they were through Sauron.
The story:
I want to do the first chapter as an introduction to the life of the Witch King. I want to further develop his character. Here follows the poem which I have composed for the introduction.

When stars have crossed
The darkened sky
And the eagles still flew high
When land was old and grass was green
A new evil yet unseen
Has arisen from the darkest pits of earth.

He walked in shadows
Lived with death,
He loved, he loathed,
Cursed by his father
Forsaken by his mother
His dearest friend has left him
In the endless dim
Of the farthest rim of earth.

He drank the blood of many men
He sank into the darkest den.
For long he waited
And when the day has fainted
He walked abroad as a nameless fear
Yet in his eyes…there was a tear.

He raised an empire
With the uttermost desire
To bring back the fire
Of the ancient world
Yet stories were told
That he was lured to the darkness of old.

There land was black with fear
There none willingly came near
There was the greatest sorcerer
Of whom for ever the air was full
In that darkness under the moon.

A soft and loving heart was near him nonetheless
She saw him kill
She heard his will
Ever did she kneel
To show her respect
For his greatness intact.

She loved him ever more
He hated all with the ever sore
Hatred within his soul
She touched his hand
And then the land
Has swiftly changed
There flowers bloomed
And daylight loomed.

Yet men have come to claim that land
And the sorcerer did not withstand
The greatness of the white hand
Of the fair elven land.

(If you have any ideas as to how to improve this poem, please post them here and I will gladly take a look at them)
Following this poem, we will give a few well written paragraphs about the studies and short life of the Witch King.
Then we will jump into the times of the Fourth Age period of Middle Earth. As we have already created a base for the fan fiction in our RP, we have something to work around. Like I have written in my latest post in the RP, there was the woman standing under the rain during the night that the hobbits have arrived to Edoras.
This is the love of the Witch King. His only and ever greatest care in the life. She is a sorceress as well. She learned the craft to summon the ever restless spirit of the Witch King and the Wraiths.

Please give me comments, ideas and anything that will help improve and ease our experience with this interesting plot.
Thank you for your consideration,
~Gil-galad

[Edited on 8/6/2005 by TheWhite~Istar]
Verres
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 02:04
All these ideas sound, as previously mentioned, great. They definately give more depth to the plot than most RPs. Gil, I must say I am impressed by your research also. I'd love to help out, share ideas, and join in anyway possible so please PM me!
~Stella~
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 06:10
Great poem Gil, but it does not go with the story I don't think. It sounds like something for a Wraiths story, not a story on hobbits, or orcs getting morgul blades, or the rohans attacking the Gondorians and vice versa, or meetings of peace, or an attack on both rohan and Gondor by orcs. I am very sorry. Would you mind writing a different poem please? I am sorry again.
TheWhite~Istar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 03:15
Yes it will be no problem at all, I just need a day or two. However I am going away for three days, and when I come back I should have a suitable poem for you. If that is alright, please PM me by today.
TheWhite~Istar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 01:32
…That night
Rain like tears was falling
The wind like a lion was roaring
And the glass has shivered with fright
When terror has struck
And with unbearable pain
The wounded hobbit
Looked at the rain…

For him…every breath was painful
Every movement was torture
The falling rain was playful with the nature
And in his mind he understood
That his end must be near at hand.

Those eyes were filled with fright
It was a pitiful sight in the middle of the night
How she has felt his nearing death.
To his aid they swiftly came
And that illness at once was eased
For he was taken into her loving
And caring arms…
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 01:34
Perfect! Now we must talk over how we will start the fan fic.
TheWhite~Istar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2005 01:08
Hey Stella, do you know how we talked about everything above, and how I gave our ideas? How about we all try to make our own beginning and then edit it out to see what happens?
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 17, 2005 02:15
Would you mind adding more to your thought please? I think maybe we start out with orcs or Merry getting word he needs to leave. What do you think?
TheWhite~Istar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 09:49
How about this...Merry received news from Eomer that Aragorn is arriving for debates conserning the land wars. He leaves early in the morning and rides swiftly. Then how about orcs having attacked a Rohan village and have burned it down completely and killed what people they could find, however some still managed to escape; the fire from the burning could be seen many miles away and the screaming of women and children has filled the pitted earth in that region for many years to come. Them lets have Merry see the fire and wanting to see what is going on ride in that direction; but on his way there he is hunted down by the wraiths.
Dont know if you will like it this way, but thats what I have been thinking about.
~Gil-galad
~Stella~
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 10:57
That will not really work, because for 3 days Merry is held by orcs, though perhaps wraiths do sweep down upon them and hurt Merry because they recognise him?
TheWhite~Istar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2005 03:32
Okay. I will write a prologue and you think about the hobbits I have more ideas about the sorcerers than the beginning of the RP at the most.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: August 17, 2005 03:21
OK. I will. As soon as I can, I will start working on first part - we all really should, shouldn't we? Great! What are they?
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 04:49
Firstly I know that we haven't RPGed in this thread for a while. That is why I thought I should bring this thread back up so we can discuss things. I have yet to post the synopsis regarding Melthan and Aaweth but ~Stella~ and I have been working on a few joint posts concerning them and my other rpg character Aregwyn. Now as we know Aragorn is in Rohan but I have a few questions for ~Stella~ mainly.

When I PMed you with my reply you asked: What woman do you mean? What I meant Stella was are we going with the idea of the woman/sorceress in Rohan who loved the Witch King and is she going to resurrect the Wraiths? So when Melthan was called to fight is it just orcs they are going to be fighting or something more powerful? I was just wondering and thought it would be easier to post it here rather than on a pm. I am working on the reply to the jp though and will send it to you once I know what they will be fighting? Thank you.

Namarie,
~Arwen
~Stella~
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 05:01
Gil, your call here.

Should a small attack happen soon, not very big, just like a band of 20 orcs attacking one of the guard towers, which are away from city? Perhaps one is near the healing house and Aragorn sees it and goes to talk to Eomer about it?

[Edited on 31/8/2005 by ~Stella~]
~Stella~
Send Message
on: September 07, 2005 05:41
I need you all to join this site: http://stellahope.proboards56.com/index.cgi
This is our site to make the fan fic on. I will make you all staff as soon as you join.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 08, 2005 07:00
I joined the site! My screen name will be the same as my username here!

Namarie,
~Arwen
~Stella~
Send Message
on: September 08, 2005 07:44
I will make you staff as soon as I figure that out. Mine is Stella_hope.

[Edited on 8/9/2005 by ~Stella~]
~Stella~
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 11:05
What do you all think of fast forwarding a little on the rp?
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 08:47
Er, how far ahead do you wanna go? Y'know, it's been like months and months since I posted anything here.... wow.
I didn't even know that there was a proboard site...
*sneezes* Sorrys...
~Stella~
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 03:11
like a day or 2. Have Merry feeling better and up a bit........*there is more, but I ain't saying anything. *

Awww.....I am still trying to figure out it. I sort of made a setting where I have to make yall owners to do anything and I don't know how to make you owners.
x_xEruwestieLx_x
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 07:21
Hmm.. Okay. I have no objections, as long as it doesn't jump ahead ten years like Pip's nightmare. So, you're not saying a word? Pity that... Oh well, guess I'll find out!
~Stella~
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 09:19
LOL....no, It will not go 10 years.

Now, about how to do this as a ff? I'd like to get it started during Thanksgiving break - ok? Which is about the 18th of this month.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: November 18, 2005 04:20
Well, I think we need to work on the next parts. Now, Merry
has gotten better, but he will get worse again for a short time. But he is not going to die.

Arwen and I have been doing JPs. In 2 weeks time, Aaweth and Melthan will be married. Then in 6 weeks after the wedding they will go out into war. So what should happen between all that time?
TheWhite~Istar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2005 04:26
*stretches out the ancient elven bones* by the Valar! I feel so sleepy! lol I didnt have much time to be around CoE in the past er few er weeks. But now I am at least 59% back and reporting for duty, disregarding the part that I am 41% sleepified
Bah, anyway. A new idea popped into my head. How about we also have an elvish war camp in the Angmar area. These elves will be the first to encounter the rising evil. I also thought up of two names: Sivian and Haldamir. Now Stella is thinking Sivian is better, and so do I, but still wanted to bring it to your eyes!
Aye, I would like to hear more about your PMing
~Stella~
Send Message
on: December 03, 2005 09:00
WHat would you like to know....hmm?
TheWhite~Istar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2005 02:35
A few hints would be appreciated, I cannot just go poking into the darkness with a cloth tied over my eyes now can I?
~Stella~
Send Message
on: December 04, 2005 03:22
Well, in one of the JPs there is a big battle near Rohan.
Here is what I have so far.

Aaweth and Aregwyn were sitting outside. The day was late, though it was still warm and sunny. Aaweth had been quiet for a short while. Her mind was on the night ahead. As she thought, she placed a hand on her stomach and looked down. Her blue dress was shimmering like water in the fading light.

Her head went up went up when she heard someone coming. "Are you Aaweth Edain?" the young boy asked.
She nodded her head, a strand of dark hair flying free of her braid. "Yes, I am. What is it that you need" she asked.
"You have a letter," the sandy haired boy replied, handing her the scroll and leaving.

Aaweth peered down at the crisp paper. She broke the seal and read it over. For a long while she did not say anything nor did she blink or change her expression, then a smile spread over her face.

Aregwyn sat outside, in the courtyard, with Aaweth. The sun shone on the horizon, still warm despite the late hour. She looked at her friend who'd placed her hand on her stomach and was very quiet. She was about to ask if she was all right when a boy appeared asking for Aaweth. Aregwyn watched as he handed her a scroll and she opened it and read it. For a long time she was silent and Aregwyn did not want to interrupt her thoughts but then she saw her friend break out into a broad grin and she looked at her, "Aaweth, what's wrong?" She asked, placing her hand on the other woman's arm.

Aaweth turned to look at Aregwyn. There was life in her eyes - a fiery determination. "Nothing is wrong," she said, "Tis far from it." Her body moved in fluid, excited motions. "I have been called to duty - to fight in the war." Her eyes gleamed with excitement.

Aregwyn was shocked and she looked at her friend, "What? Your going to fight? In the War?" She fell silent and looked at the floor. Whatever she was expecting she wasn't expecting that. "That's great..." She finally managed to mumble, "You've always said you long to be like you were. You know what I mean. Before well....before the marriage... before Melthan..." She said, sighing and looking up to catch her friend's reaction.

Aaweth could not help but to laugh at the expression Aregwyn work. "Of course I am going to fight," she exclaimed, "I am a Ranger, Aregwyn. I was trained to fight. My duties are not to the home, it is to out there!" The woman said pointing to outside the walls.

"I understand... it must be hard for you, since you got married. You must feel so caged up... I've always know there was a world outside these walls... I've always wanted to fight and when I was young, my mother and Eldarion would tell me about father's adventures during the War of the Ring. I always thought that I could go off, become a Ranger like my father. But then I realised, I'm not a Ranger, I could never be one. I'm not that type of person... But people like you, they should be out free, out there..." She murmured, off in a daydream as she looked out over the Pelennor Fields and the borders of the forest of Ithilien.

Aaweth smiled and nodded sadly. "You have no idea," she whispered, gazing at the horizon, "I like the freedom of the plains." She sighed and bit her lip. "Fighting and battle is not for all," she agreed. Her eyes drifted to her letter. She then stood. "I must go tell Melthan," she said.

Aregwyn watched her leave and sniffed silently. Ever since Aaweth got married she'd seemed sad but tried to conceal it. She knew her friend well and understood how she must be feeling excited. After years in this city any Ranger would be glad to be called away to fight in a battle. As Aregwyn sat outside silently she thought, 'I wonder what Melthan will think?' The wind suddenly picked up and it whipped around her, lashing at her clothes and sending her chestnut brown hair streaming out behind her head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melthan yawned as he walked down the corridor towards the Great Hall. He had sat in a meeting concerning the trouble in Rohan for the past few hours and was very tired and hungry when suddenly a messenger boy had appeared. "Yes?" He asked looking down at the small boy, "Sir, you are Melthan Ancalímon, correct?" When he nodded the boy handed him a scroll. He thanked the boy with the best smile he could muster and broke the seal quickly. He read the letter and suddenly smiled. "Finally..." He muttered to himself and carried on walking down the hallway.

Aaweth walked down the hall at a brisk pace. She stopped when the woman saw Melthan approaching. The woman noticed he carried a scroll. She glanced around and saw a chest. She put her scroll into it and then walked towards Melthan. "Hello," she said softly.

Melthan smiled at her, "Hullo, I was just about to come and find you. Elessar King has summoned me to Rohan, it seems the problem is worse than we thought. I'm leaving at dawn tomorrow. I just.... well wanted to tell you..." He mumbled the last words. His feelings for Aaweth had remained, even if she didn't share them. Thankfully she'd never really mentioned it before and she seemed to relax a bit around him, or so it seemed to him. True he knew, she still could never love him but at least she did not hate him as he first thought she did when he'd popped back into her life again! He'd never let his feelings get the better of him before and he tried to forget about them, but sometimes it was hard. He sighed and looked up at her with a convincing smile.

"Oh," she said, fumbling with her dress a little bit. "I....be careful," she said, deciding not to tell him. Why, she did not know, but she didn't. Aaweth placed a hand on her abdomen again. How strange, she thought, Why do I keep doing that? She looked out the window as the sun set and it started to rain. She didn't know what else to say and she grew quiet. Aaweth turned and went off to the stables. She went to the trunk that she kept in her horses stall, took the key from around her neck, and retrieved her armour and sword. The woman looked at her horse - a gray stallion with a few black spots on his rump. "Finrod," she said to the horse, "Don't say a word." The horse nuzzled her. "Good boy," she said, taking the sword out of its sheath. She examined it and then carefully, she began to cut her hair short. She stripped out of her blue dress, put it in the trunk and locked it with the key. Aaweth put the key back around her neck and then dressed in her armour. She put her sword back in the sheath and tied it around her waist. The woman put on her helmet. She examined herself in the water. Aaweth did not look like a woman. She saddled up her horse and got on top of it. "Yah!" she said, kicking the horse’s side and riding through the night. By the first light, she was at the camp. "Who ye be?" a man asked
"I be Tuor," Aaweth said in a firm voice.

Melthan watched as she disappeared round the corner and sighed softly to himself. Then he walked towards the Hall and found some of the counsellors sat along the long table discussing something in whispering voices. All of them looked up as Melthan entered, "Ah!" Said one of them, whom he knew only by name as Hræd who was originally from Rohan, "Melthan... we just had word from Elessar King and he'd like you to lead the army to Rohan tomorrow. As one of his most trusted counsellors he assumes you will be fine with that decision and also..." The man continued, pausing for breath, "The camp lays on the borders of Gondor, some of the men have already assembled there. We should ride out and meet them, it will take til early morning if we leave in a few hours." Melthan nodded and sat down beside the man, "We should go quickly. As soon as everyone is ready we will ride." He said firmly, "Speed is of the essence." He nodded once more at them and then they all dispersed, leaving only him left in the room.

With a deep breath he stood up and disappeared to his room to collect his armour and weapons. Standing in his room, he undressed and began to change into the clothes he'd laid out on the bed. First came the tunic and breeches, both simple and plain. Then over the top he placed his coat of chain mail and then over that went a leather breastplate (OOC: Like what Faramir wears in TT), which was light brown with the White Tree emblem, stitched onto it in silver thread. Then fastening the ties, which secured it, he sat down on the bed and fastened his boots tight, slipping a small dagger to the side of one. Then standing up he strapped his belt on and fastened his cloak around his neck with a small brooch that again had the White Tree on it, and then he reached for his vambraces. (OOC: According to my collector's models magazines, vambraces are plate armour, which covers the forearm and is invaluable protection in sword battles. Like what Boromir and Aragorn wear.) Then finally he strapped them tight on both his arms and drew his sword slowly. The blade glinted in the fading light of the day, which burst through the windows and hit the floor, creating small pools of moonlight here and there. He had not used his sword in many months and was itching to be back out in battle. Running his hand carefully up the blade he realised that it would need to be sharpened. So he reached into a little pouch on his belt which held the sharpening stone (OOC: Like the scene in Lothlorien where Aragorn has that stone and he runs it across his sword to sharpen it.) and he sat down and lightly ran it across the blade until it was sharp enough to cut straight through filthy orc flesh like it was intended to. Smiling lightly to himself as she sheathed his sword in the scabbard on his belt, he stood up, took one last look at the room and then left, walking towards the stables where he kept his horse.

Upon entering the stables he saw some of the men already there, preparing their horses and talking to each other. He walked in and went towards where he kept his horse, Beren, at the far end of the stables. He unlocked the gate and stepped into the compartment. His horse was happily chewing the hay lazily in the corner and it looked up and neighed gently as he entered. Going over to him, Melthan patted the horse soothingly on the back and went over to where he stowed the horse’s saddle and such like. He straightened up, clutching the saddle and he fitted it swiftly, and was adjusting the bridle and reigns when a young soldier came over to him, “Melthan?” He asked, and the person in question looked up, “We are ready to ride if you are.” Melthan nodded and sniffed slightly, turning to grasp the horse’s reigns and lead him out of the stable. The young soldier disappeared off and he led the horse out of the stables and into the courtyard where everyone was assembling. He mounted Brego and many of the others did so. He nudged Brego round to talk to all of them, “We ride now to the camp on the edge of the borders. That will take us until early morning, when we are there we will meet up with the other men that have been summoned to fight. We will then ride as a company towards Edoras, where we are needed. As to what we will face when we arrive at Rohan, that is not sure…but I want each of you to fight for this land with all the enthusiasm and passion you have for it. Ride now!” He yelled, kicking Brego lightly and thereby urging the horse into a swift canter, down through the levels of the city and out onto the plains beyond…

When the moon began to fade overhead Melthan called them to a halt for a 5-minute break. It was early in the morning and the light was slowly but surely beginning to emerge. They were about a couple of hours away from dawn and Melthan wished to reach the camp before then. He gestured to the men and once again they began to follow him across the plains, urging their horses the fastest they could possibly go. As he sat upon his horse, Beren, at the front of the company he mused on the happenings of the past few weeks. This time a couple of months ago he never would have imagined that he would have been married (an arranged marriage, true, but still a marriage) to a woman such as Aaweth, riding towards Rohan and leading a division of the army as one of Elessar King’s most trusted counsellors. “My lord!” Came a voice from beside him and he looked up suddenly to see Hræd nudging his horse towards his. “Yes?” Melthan asked him, looking at the man of Rohan. “We should arrive at the camp in less than an hour or so I should think, just to inform you.” He nodded and then fell back behind Melthan who was riding at the head of the company and leading the way.

Suddenly a shape rose up in front of the riders. A large crowd of people assembled around a campfire and makeshift tents. All the riders looked relieved that they were there after hours of riding through the night and semi light but they still had a long way to go and had to go with much haste to Rohan. Melthan looked up and as the camp loomed on the borders, he called the men to a halt and they slowed down as they approached the camp. He stopped Beren fully and quickly swung his leg over the horse’s side and jumped down. Two tall men from the company who were camping came out of their tents once they saw him arrive. “Ahh Melthan. Glad to see you and your men here before dawn. Much speed is needed in times of war.” One of them said, rubbing his hands together in the cold in an attempt to warm them up. “Yes.” Melthan agreed, firmly, “We should ride to Rohan as soon as possible. Naturally the company needs a rest. We have been riding through the night to get here and they are tired, though I suspect that they are not as tired as they will be once we arrive at Edoras and then a battle will need to be fought.” He nodded at the two and then went over to the campfire and sat down. He saw one man looking at him and he thought that he had a familiar look about him. Something he couldn’t quite place. But then shook his head dismissing the thought and warmed his hands against the heat of the flickering flames…

Aaweth felt her stomach clench. Melthan was leading them! She could not believe it. The woman showed no signs of what she felt inside. She kept her jaw tight and her eyes narrowed. For only a moment the woman ranger looked at Melthan, then she gazed down at the ground. Her head snapped up suddenly. She had heard something. Quickly, Aaweth stood just as orcs charged in. The woman drew her sword and fought them with ease and grace. The battle went on for hours and hours till not but a scarce few orcs survived. However, there were many casualties on their side as well; one thought to be included was Melthan. Aaweth did not believe it though. She was out that same eve looking for him as the rest of the troops went onward. "Melthan," she called over and over until he was hoarse.

With one last cry of his name, when she had seen something shift, she rushed forward. "Melthan," she whispered in a less masculine voice as she looked him over and saw the wound on his side, "Everything will be fine." She took off her helmet so that she could see better and her chin length dark hair tumbled everywhere. She got cloths out and bandaged the wound. When she had just finished bandaging his side, a huge dark shadow appeared, towering over them. Aaweth drew her sword just as the monstrous orc swung its staff, hitting her in the ribs and stomach. She yelled out and the monster did as well as they both connected with each other and fell back. Aaweth laid there, her eyes closed and pain distorting her face. Her breath came in rapid puffs. Her arms drew up protectively to her stomach and she whimpered. "Melthan," she said in her normal - if not pained- voice - "I-I love you. I-I am scared." She knew something was wrong, but what it was she did not know. Darkness threatened to take her. She wanted it to, but not yet, not quite.

Off in the distance a chestnut mare looked up from where she grazed. She began to gallop towards where the battle had been and to her mistress.

Melthan looked up just in time as a company of orcs charged into the camp. Yelling loudly to the men, he jumped up and parried an incoming blow. After several hacks and slashes from him several orcs were disposed of but there were still many to go. As he watched many fell around him, some of his men, some orcs... then he spotted what he assumed was the leader and their eyes met. The large, muscled orc staggered over and roughly swung his sword at Melthan's head. He ducked just in time and heard the swooping sound just inches above where he crouched. Then, taking the orcs by surprise he kicked its feet from out underneath it in and in one swift motion, thrust his sword into its stomach, killing it instantly. He spun round on the spot to observe the damage but he never got that far... At that moment an orc ran up behind him and stuck his sword harshly into Melthan's side. He cried out as the blade entered and then faced the orc, his eyes livid but pained. He punched the orc hard in the face and so the creature relinquished it's grip on its sword and fell to the ground. Melthan slit the orc's throat in one movement of his sword and blood spurted out. Then suddenly the pain on his side heightened and he fell to his knees, trying in vain to stop the blood that was oozing out. He fell backwards onto the soft grass and he closed his eyes to shield the pain.

The next thing he knew he heard a voice calling his name over and over. His head jerked up and he saw a soldier running towards him. The one he had seen looking at him earlier that very same day. "Melthan." came the person's voice again and he froze in disbelief, "Aaweth?" he asked quietly in shock but he never got a reply. "Everything will be fine." Aaweth said as she slowly began to gently bandage the wound on his side. Then suddenly a huge dark shadow appeared out of nowhere and swung a blow at Aaweth. It connected with her ribs and both fell backwards onto the ground. "Melthan," he heard Aaweth say as if she had the breath knocked out of her, "I-I love you. I-I am scared." He looked at her slowly and by that time the orc was towering over the pair once more. Melthan breathed in deeply and grabbed a sword from a nearby dead soldier and met the orc's flesh. He screamed in rage as the orc fell onto his blade and quickly pulled it out and kicked the orc out of the way. He crawled over to Aaweth, "Are you all right?" He asked, looking anxious as she clasped her stomach in pain. Suddenly he noticed a chestnut horse galloping over the plains, towards them and he looked up and watched as the horse neared...

Aaweth closed her eyes as she breathed in and out. With each breath came a wave of pain. When she heard Melthan speak to her, she opened her eyes to a slight slit. "I-I don't know," she whispered in a tight voice, "I don't think so. My stomach really hurts. Something's different." Aaweth closed her eyes. The pain was too much for her to bear (and she had bore a lot of pain in her time) and she allowed the sweet darkness take her.

Rhiannon galloped till she reached her mistress and Melthan. She then stopped and stared at them.

Melthan watched as the horse galloped closer and closer with each second then turned back to Aaweth as she spoke. “Something’s different…” She whispered and closed her eyes, “No…Aaweth, you have to hang on…we need to get you help. There was a good doctor within the group riding towards Edoras. I do not know whether he survived but the only way to find out is to ride and catch up with them. When they thought I was amongst the injured or dead, they must have gone onto Edoras. But they will have stopped to rest and help the injured. They may have set up camp, but I do not think they could have got far.” He said, softly speaking to her as she closed her eyes and drifted off. Melthan sighed and suddenly he felt something wet nudge him on the shoulder. He turned round to see a chestnut mare standing tall in front of them. The same one that Aaweth had ridden when she was angry or needed to calm down. There was no doubt it was the same horse and he slowly stood up and patted the horse gratefully on the side. His first complication was how to get Aaweth onto the horse; he did not want to injure her further so he knew he had to be careful. So as cautiously as he possibly could he gently placed his arms underneath her body and lifted her up slowly. He placed her onto the horse with as much care as he could and swung himself up behind her. Then, putting his arms around her so as to protect her and stop her from falling off, he gently nudged the horse and they were both off, onto the rolling plains ahead of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hræd, look over here!” cried the watchman. It was mid afternoon and the company of soldiers had stopped for a break from riding. They were only a few kilometres from Edoras now, and the battle. Hræd sprung up from where he sat, talking to the group and went over to the watchman. “Yes?” He asked, looking at the man. “Look there… there is someone on horseback in the distance.” He pointed the figure out on the horizon and they both squinted and sure enough saw a horse with a person perched upon it’s back. “Hold on…” muttered Hræd observing the chestnut horse, which was getting closer and closer by the second. “There are 2 people upon that horse. The first must be injured because the person behind it is holding the former up. And it… it looks like a man and a woman, Gondorian by the looks of it!” He continued. The chestnut horse was galloping faster and faster as the riders saw the camp and Hræd followed it’s progress as it approached them. “It’s Melthan!!” He exclaimed when he saw the rider clearly. “But…but…” The watchman stammered puzzled, “He was dead!” Hræd turned to him, an eyebrow rose slightly, “Well clearly he isn’t! Quick get him help!” He shouted to one of the men. As the two people slowed to a stop the man, now identified as indeed Melthan, shouted something to them, “Quick get a healer. She needs help!” And the man slowly dismounted the horse and carefully lifted the woman, who was sat in front of him previously, off the horse and carried her towards where the healer had set up his tent, to tend to the wounded from the fight.

Once in the tent Melthan spotted the healer tending to another victim of the battle. He turned round and saw Melthan and smiled as he came towards him, "I knew you would live..." He said, smiling and he nodded politely. "Quick, she is injured... but I do not know completely how, she says something is different...I..." Melthan began to explain as he carefully placed Aaweth gently down on one of the free beds and the healer nodded and began to check her over. He stepped back slightly as the healer worked and looked at Aaweth. He hoped she was allright, but he was still hurt that she hadn't told him she called to war...

Coenwalh looked over the woman that lay on the bed. She was slightly pale from the pain of the injury. He then took her armor off and examined her closer. The man placed a hand on her abdomen and pressed slight. “Yes, yes…” he muttered to himself. Coenwalh went and got some dressings and wrapped her up snuggly. Next, the healer got her a clean shirt and some medicine for the pain. He opened her mouth and placed the leaf he got on her tongue. He closed the womans mouth and then busied himself a little more – straightening and mumbling under his breath. Finally, after he had cleaned up and finished his mumbled, the premature graying headed, short man went over to Melthan.

Melthan watched anxiously as Coenwalh examined Aaweth, mumbling to himself as he pressed his hand softly against her stomach. He watched the man closely as he wrapped the bandages comfortably around her and gave her some medicine. Then, when it seemed the man had finished Melthan spoke, "Is she going to be all right? Now that you have bandaged her up and given her medication?" He asked, his feelings of hurt now fading into feelings of anxiousness and worry...

The short man put his hands behind his back and round. “Aye, she is going to be just fine. Her ribs were bruised. I gave a bit of medicine for the pain,” Coenwalh said. He paused for a moment and then said, “She was quite right about something being different. She is with-child.”

Melthan took a few moments to process what Coenwalh was saying and then he was frozen still with shock. He opened and closed his mouth many times. Then he finally managed to regain the power of speech and began to speak quietly, "There...there must be a mistake... she can't... no...no!" He said in denial, he shook his head and stared at the floor, thoughts whizzing around his brain. He bit his lip, "She is isn't she. She's carrying a child." He said softly, more to himself than anyone else...

Coenwalh cocked one of his bushy eyebrows. He quite enjoyed giving this sort of news to people. He did not get to do so too often. the peoples reactions- especially the fathers - was quite funny. "There is no mistake, laddie," the healer said, "I have been in this business longer then you have been around. I know what I am feeling for. There is a foetus growing in her." He nodded his head as he spoke.

Melthan stood, mouth slightly open and he stared at Aaweth who was laid on the bed. "The old healer said hesitantly, "Maybe you should tell her the good news, lad...when she wakes up that is." Melthan looked at him and then sighed, "No...no... I am not sure how she will take it. And I am afraid as to what her reaction to this will be." He said, turning away from the healer and looking outside of the tent at the ground. Coenwalh placed a hand on Melthan's shoulder, "Come on. I need to take a look at your injury." he said, patting him on the shoulder. He shook his head, "No, it's fine, really." The healer raised an eyebrow, "Come on." He convinced him to lie down on a spare bed while he checked over his wound. Melthan winced slightly as Coenwalh pressed down on his side, where his wound was. The old healer nodded and went away from him for a moment to find some clean water and bandages. When the healer returned Melthan was staring at the ceiling. He sighed heavily and bit his lip. 'What if she takes it really badly?' He though desperately as his wound was cleaned gently and bandaged up. 'What if she hates me because of it. Aaweth never even wanted to be married, she was so upset, and now we'll have a child together! She'll be angry for certain.' He thought, frowning heavily. 'But will she?' called a little voice from the back of his head. He was puzzled at where this idea had come from, 'Of course she would be upset. But...then again would she?' Then he remembered what happened in the aftermath of the battle. Aaweth had found him, called out for him and then she’d comforted him. "I-I love you. I-I am scared.” Her words rang around in his mind. He’d always loved her, ever since he saw her riding across the plains on Rhiannon, ever since then, he’d loved her. And he had told her, though it had made the situation worst but he never regretted it, not once. And if what she said on the battlefield was how she truly was feeling, rather than just some rushed words, then she may be even remotely happy at the child which was growing inside of her. He was called out of his thoughts when Coenwalh muttered to him, “Melthan, she is waking up…” And sure enough as he turned his head and looked over at Aaweth she stirred softly, opened her eyes, blinked a few times and then looking at him…

Aaweth looked around. She tried to get an idea of where she was. It did not seem to be enemy territory, at least, the tent did not look like the enemies. She shifted and regretted it. Her abdomen hurt badly. She settled herself. The woman’s eyes widen as she thought of the lie she had told. Melthan must be furious, she assumed, and also the troop would be as well. She closed her eyes and then opened them again. She saw whom she assumed was the healer. "Is he all right, Melthan?" she asked.

The healer nodded slightly and indicated to someone sitting behind him. Now bandaged up, Melthan sat on another makeshift bed, he slowly looked at her and then sighed softly. Deciding in that moment, he looked her in the eyes and bit his lip slightly. “I’m fine but…Aaweth…you…we…” he took a deep breath, thinking about how to tell her. Would she take it well? Would she be angry? He sighed and jumped in with it, “You are… look there is no easy way for me to say this… you…you are… with child.” He said, closing his eyes, gravely waiting for her reaction.

Aaweth closed her eyes with relief. Melthan was all right. That was all that mattered at the moment, but only for that moment. Something else - something new - mattered now. Her eyes snapped open and they were wide with fear. She scampered into a sitting position, even though it hurt. The woman paid no attention to the pain. She wanted to run. Aaweth was scared. The woman bowed her head, closed her eyes, and cried openly, which was a very rare thing for her. She was not a crying type. Slowly the tears trickled down her face like a winding river. They landed softly on the bed she sat on. They kept falling, but she did not wipe them away. "Come here," she gasped out to Melthan. It was really the first time she had ever asked for Melthan to come to her.

Melthan tried to stop her from sitting up but she did so anyway, and then hot thick tears fell from her eyes. He looked down sadly, were they tears of sadness? Joy? He wondered, but knew he would never know truly. "Come here." She gasped and he looked at her, still shocked. He sniffed and walked over to her, taking her hand, "Look Aaweth, this may not be what you want, but I promise you I'll always be here for you...always..." He said, smiling softly as he looked her straight in the eyes.

Aaweth did not open her eyes when she heard Melthan come over to her. The woman could not. She felt him take her hand and then finally she opened them. Aaweth took in an unsteady breath. She then burried her face into the nape of his neck. Sobs came from her lips and shook her body. "I don't know what I would have done if you had...you you had..." she sobbed out, holding onto Melthan's neck as if for dear life.

Melthan tried to calm her, "I know...I know... be still, Aaweth....shhh...I'm here it's allright, just let it all out." He wrapped his arm around her comfortingly and rested his head on hers. Did this mean she was not angry at him? He almost smiled to himself at the thought but then heard a wave of sobbing come from Aaweth's shaking body. "Shhh... shhh...." He said softly, looking down at the crying woman briefly before letting her rest her head against his neck as she cried.

Aaweth just sat there in Melthan's arms. Her eyes closed just as tightly as she held him around his neck. Slowly, the sobs quieted and stopped. She then realized how she was asking. "This is dangerous," she said, "You could be killed. I could be killed. Legally, I am not supposed to fight. I am a woman..." She paused and wiped a stray tear away. "I do not care if I am killed for impersinating a man and than fighting. I was born to fight."

"I know. You were born to fight, that is in your blood." He said, looking down at the floor. He knew that what Aaweth had done, was severe, fraud and impersonating another person.Melthan only hoped that King Elessar would try to understand why. He looked up at her, "You're right though, you could be killed, I could be killed... it's the chance you must take when you have a life around fighting and war..." he paused and sighed heavily, "I don't know what will happen to you because you pretending to be someone you're not. If you were called upon because you were a Ranger, yet they knew you were a woman..." He suddenly realised, "Wait? When you were a ranger did you also impersonate someone? Aaweth... did they know you were a woman?!" He asked, looking at her seriously.

"My hands feel bare without a sword in my hand," she said softly. Slowly, she stood. "I am not afraid to die," she replied, "They knew I could fight. They didn't know I was married." She turned and looked at him. "I would have been sent back, even thoguh I was called."

Aaweth chuckled slightly. "I might be stubborn, but I am not stupid. Of course they knew that I was a woman, " She said. Aaweth paused for a moment. "The Lord Faramir let me train until I was sixteen, though I was not aloud to take the test to become a ranger. Only men can be rangers. I had learned more then any of the men though. I did not need the final task. I left home until I was twenty."

Melthan sighed. At least that was one thing. "I am sure you didn't need the final task." He smiled though it did not reach his eyes. He shook his head, his voice wavering, "Aaweth... do you know what you will be charged with? This is serious and I just don't want you to be hurt..." Sensing that she would have something to say to that he added quickly, "Look... I know you want to fight and you need to fight and I know death doesn't scare you but... it scares me. Because if you were to die...now... it just... I..." He couldn't carry on, he didn't know what he was trying to say and he stopped and gulped, looking down at the floor.
~Stella~
Send Message
on: December 13, 2005 01:14
Gil, would you mind writing a second poem? I think we should do the ff in 2 parts and the poem seems to give too much away. Or you can do a revised edition so that it does not give so much away.

[Edited on 13/12/2005 by ~Stella~]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email