Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: Eyes of Thorongil (Semi-scripted - please see OOC) [KEEP]
on: January 08, 2006 12:33
“I had noticed you weren’t making fun of us in your usual manner,” Naden said, sending Malla a wink, “and you’re quite forgiven.- and if things do go as we plan, we should be on schedule to meet Thorongil and the fleet.”

Chuckling over Naden's teasing, Gareth noticed at once that Nell had gone silent… and before long, she left the Galley for a nap.

Biting his lip, the half-elven fisherman watched her go… half-wondering if he shouldn't follow, and ask what was wrong. - But, the closer they got to Dol Amroth, Gareth became 'busy' with preparing the Elanor V for docking… and an unknown number of days absence. - There would be more to do once his ship was moored, but he wanted no time 'wasted'.
Naden spoke with Gareth about the ‘possibilities’ of what would happen in Umbar,… for he had no experience himself with battle of any kind involving ships.

Wincing a bit, Gareth wasn't sure how to answer the very tall Ranger. "I've never fought a sea-battle, either," he replied honestly. "Nor do I know what Thorongil has 'planned'. - But, I will say that if it were up to *me*, I'd set as many of the corsair-ships on fire as I could. That would put their crews out of action," he said solemnly, knowing that fire was one thing ALL sailors worried about.

Wood… dried from wind and weather… old paint… sails, and ropes were clear 'fodder' for flames. - And, caught long distances from shore, fire could sweep through a ship in minutes.
When Nell came back from her cabin she didn’t look like she’d slept, but she smiled at Gareth and took his hand

Answering Nell's smile, Gareth returned her smile, too… and squeezed her hand. There wasn't any time to 'talk', however, which he regretted deeply… but the half-elven sea-captain kept his love close by until he went to the wheel to bring his small fishing-vessel neatly up to the dock, and bid Allon to get the land-lines secured.

A few more items he attended to, whilst Dauron - with Malla in tow, headed to make the Flying Gull ready as soon as he could. - Naden, too, had his own errands to run, and at last, Gareth made his way back to Nell's side.
Nell was looking at the city from her place on the ship, her heart thumping as she gripped the railing. Gareth was ordering some of his crew about, but soon he was at her side.
“It looks the same,” she said quietly, “Almost exactly the same as the morning I left it.”
Then she looked up at met his eyes, knowing that she couldn’t hide the things that her own were showing.
“Gareth, I want to see my hou– I mean… my father’s old house. Will you come with me?”

"Of course I will!" Gareth answered softly, and gave his love a tender hug before following her down the gangplank.

He nodded politely to the people they passed, sending a slight 'glare' to one woman who glanced twice at Nell. - It appeared she would have spoken, but his dearest kept going.
They came to it finally, an unremarkable building like all of the houses in the area, but as soon as Nell saw it her breath caught in her throat. Her mind went back years and years, and she seemed to see herself playing on that doorstep and peering out of that window. Her grip on her love’s hand tightened when the door opened and a woman came out, carrying a baby in one arm and a basket in the other. A teenage girl and a little boy were next, shutting the door as they turned and went down the street, paying no need to the couple who stood on the other side of it. Nell watched them go, feeling- for the first time since her first night in Umbar- her emotions threatening to overpower her. She’d thought she had hardened herself to her grief, but coming here… seeing her home had reawakened it. Home it had been… the place she’d grown up, waited for her father before she was old enough to go with him, the place she’d wanted so badly to come back to… but it wasn’t home anymore, and it could never be again.
Trembling she swiftly turned away, pulling on Gareth’s hand as she went to leave, then letting go since he wasn’t moving fast enough for her.

"Nell!" Gareth called, and quickened his pace to catch up with the dearest person in his life, and when he found her, he wrapped her in a tight hug against him as she cried… stroking Nell's hair, and her back, and offering such comfort as he could. - And, all the while, his heart aching for her - and with her as she grieved.
as soon as she was able to speak she apologized…
“I’m so sorry,” she said shakily, sniffling as the despised tears slowly ceased, “Its just… I miss him so badly, Gareth… my father… he was the last one they killed, and they made me watch. I see it every time I think of him… ”

Horrified, Gareth tightened his embrace, and buried his face into Nell's cropped hair. "Don't !" he told her firmly, "Don't apologize - ever, love!" - yet, he hoped that her actually speaking of her experience would be a 'healing' of sorts for her…albeit the Corsairs hadn't known that the 'youth' they'd captured had been daughter to the slain Captain.
There was a long moment in which she didn’t move, content to be in his embrace,
Wiping angrily at her tears she stood away, heaving another great sigh and shaking her head. She searched her pockets without success, then looked back at Gareth, hoping that he wasn’t feeling pity for her- that was one thing she couldn’t stand the thought of.
“Do you have a handkerchief, love? I never carry the blasted things…”

With a soft smile that held all his love for her, Gareth nodded. "I do," he replied, and pulling it out, tenderly finished drying Nell's cheeks. "You're beautiful!" he said in a low tone, and bending down, gave her a loving kiss.

And then, "May I show you something, Nell?" he inquired, and without waiting for her answer, the half-elf put his arm around the young woman's shoulders, and began guiding her through the streets of Dol Amroth - and back towards the beaches.

Before long, they came to a row of houses along one of them… and Gareth stopped in front of one. Made of red brick, solid, and vaguely 'elven-style' in looks, he nodded towards it. "This," he said softly, and smiled down into Nell's so-beautiful eyes, "Is my house, love. - I… wanted to show it to you, if you'd like to see it," he went on, and bit his lip… wondering if - yet - this be the 'time' to ask Nell what he so *very * much wanted to…

Malla had nodded at Dauron's reply to her offer of help, and looked forward to seeing how the man (and his crew) worked together first-hand. She'd seen, from a distance, the war-ships being readied, but this was an excellent opportunity to add to her own knowledge.

As soon as Dol Amroth was spotted, she quietly headed down to Nell's cabin, and retrieved her gear. - Since 'neatness' and 'efficiency' was her habit, the woman ranger was quickly packed, and by the time the Elanor V was moored, she was ready, and making her way down the gangplank to meet Captain Mindaril.
"Ah, Malla, perfect timing. I am about to begin my shopping. Come along with me, if you wish. I will show you what it takes to provision a ship for time at sea. It's a tricky business, especially when I do not know exactly how long we will be away from port. It is much easier when it's a given time frame."

"That's understandable," Malla answered, with a twinkle of amusement in her eye. "And," she went on calmly, "quite something that rangers are 'used to'. One can only carry so much in supplies on horseback…"
As they walked along the pier toward the city streets, Dauron pointed to a long, beautiful crafted ship down the way, it's masts standing taller than most of the ships around it. "There sits the 'Flying Gull', my pride and joy. It is well crafted to be more than just a fishing vessel. When I built it, I made certain that it was also fitted with the finest cabins as well. It could be used as much for a holiday trip as any working one. In our current situation, it will be used for more than that, I fear." Scratching his beard, he commented dourly, "I never thought to see her as a battle ship. We will have to be certain there are some weapons onboard just in case we run into trouble, I suppose." He stared at his ship for a few long moments, then he turned to Malla, smiling. "But enough of such talk. For now, we will look for apples and cabbages."

Raising one eyebrow in surprise, Malla set her keen grey eyes on the Flying Gull. It was, indeed, much larger than Captain Silverlake's… 'different' in shape, but in her 'inexperienced' eye in regards to sea-going vessels, quite beautiful.

As Dauron continued to speak, however, it was all Malla could do not to laugh when he spoke of the brothels, and her lip 'twitched' in response to his red-faced apology.

"You've not been around 'rangers' very much - have you?" she replied dryly, and shrugged. It would probably surprise the red-haired sailor with what she'd seen, and heard, in the past five years of her life. - Certainly, it was no life her mother had 'approved' of… but Malla had taken it in 'stride'… and rarely blushed at the crudest of speech.

In fact, she dare not do so… for such could 'interfere' with accomplishing any particular assignment that Thorongil might give her.
Clearing his throat, he changed the subject. "Look! There! One of the best produce grocers in town. Let's see what he has to offer."

With a low chuckle, Malla nodded, and followed Captain Mindaril into the shop… in that place, and the others Dauron went to, standing quietly whilst he attended to his ship's provisioning.

And, when he'd finished what he thought necessary, Malla accompanied the tall sailor back to his ship, and quietly thanked him when shown to an empty cabin. - As before, she was quickly settled, and topside to watch the crates and kegs being loaded.

Seeing Naden coming back, she gave a smile to her very tall friend. "I think they'll be ready by nightfall - just as Dauron said," she commented. "Did you get Gret taken care of?" Malla inquired, knowing the Ranger cared a great deal for his mount.

[Edited on 8/1/2006 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: January 08, 2006 08:35
Dauron, with Malla at his side, wandered the streets with a definite plan in mind. He chose only certain shops, explaining to Malla the reasons why he had chosen this one over another similar provider.

"The freshest vegetables are bought by this shop directly from the farmer whereas that one across the street picks up those that are beyond their ripest and tossed out by shops such as this one." He turned to the shopkeeper who had arrived at their side and placed his order, requesting that it be delivered to the ship by night fall. The shopkeeper nodded and bowed his head in respect. Dauron was a good customer, who not only paid on time but often gave a small bonus for prompt delivery.

When the sun began to fall into the western sea, Dauron made one last stop. He entered the weapons shop and left Malla near the door, taking the shopkeeper to the back of the shop where he carried on an animated conversation with the man. The man argued and shook his head, and Dauron argued back. Finally the man nodded, and the two shook hands. Dauron returned to the storefront, smiling at Malla.

"Well, that's it, we're done. Why don't we head for the Gull and get you settled and have some dinner. I'm certain most of the food supplies have already been delivered and Elgar will have already begun using them." They began to stroll back to the ship as the stars lit up the eastern skies. When they reached the gangplank, they climbed to the deck and stood for a few moments gazing out at the quiet sea. "Beautiful, isn't it? I never tire of the sea. She is like a tempermental mistress...one never knows what her mood will be from one day to the next." He turned and smiled at Malla, noting how the setting sun made peaches of her cheeks and raspberries of her lips, touching her hair with a red-gold hue.

Clearing his throat, he looked back out to sea, saying, "Well, let's get you settled and some water to allow you to freshen up, and then we will have dinner." When he opened the door to her cabin, he was feeling quite proud. Her cabin was well layed out and certainly not what one would expect on a 'fishing' vessel. "I'll be on the deck when you're ready.

Sometime later, refreshed and changed into his onboard clothes, he was came on deck to see Malla and Naden standing side by side, watching the crew as they onloaded kegs and crates. He walked to their side. "Naden, how did you fare? Were you able to find accomodations for your horse?" He heard a crash and turned to call out an order to his men, then looking back at the two Rangers, he said, "I stopped to talk to Elgar on my way up. Dinner is ready. Fortunately, I told him in advance that you would probably be joining us, Naden, so he had made sufficient to feed the Umbarian army. I know I'm hungry so why don't we go take advantage of his preparations."

The three of them headed for the galley and Elgar had indeed outdone himself, having so many fresh supplies to work with. Malla sat next to Dauron, with Naden across the table from them. They talked long past the meal about the days ahead and where the future would find them. It was late at night before they went to their cabins. Dauron was tired, yet he could not sleep. His mind was awake with the perils that they faced in the sea he loved so much. He wondered how he had ever gotten into this....but thought he would not change it even if he could.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 09, 2006 06:52
With a soft smile that held all his love for her, Gareth nodded. "I do," he replied, and pulling it out, tenderly finished drying Nell's cheeks. "You're beautiful!" he said in a low tone, and bending down, gave her a loving kiss.

Nell’s cheeks were burning as Gareth wiped away her tears, but she couldn’t help smiling wanly as he told her she was beautiful. She returned his kiss, wishing she hadn’t lost control of herself like that but slowly calming down to feel his arms about her…

And then, "May I show you something, Nell?" he inquired, and without waiting for her answer, the half-elf put his arm around the young woman's shoulders, and began guiding her through the streets of Dol Amroth - and back towards the beaches.

Before long, they came to a row of houses along one of them… and Gareth stopped in front of one. Made of red brick, solid, and vaguely 'elven-style' in looks, he nodded towards it. "This," he said softly, and smiled down into Nell's so-beautiful eyes, "Is my house, love. - I… wanted to show it to you, if you'd like to see it,"

“Of course I’d like to see it,” she said quietly, sniffling again and smiling up at him as she delivered a quick one-armed hug. And she wasn’t agreeing just to be polite… she did want to see where Gareth lived and had lived for so long. As he walked her over to the house she looked at it closely, blushing deeply to herself when she thought that this was a place she could be happy living in. As soon as they’d entered, the half-elf put tea on after asking Nell if she’d like some- to which she replied yes, regretfully wishing she had something ‘stronger’.

He took her through the various rooms, which she smiled to observe, thinking of how many times her love must have walked those floors. She teased him about the dust that had settled on the furniture- but other than that everything was in perfect ‘order’. After a few minutes he interrupted the ‘tour’ to fetch her tea, and the young woman felt that she might burst with love and gratitude when she saw the loving smile on his handsome face as he handed her a steaming mug.

Finally they walked out onto the back porch, which faced the beach. Nell sighed and leaned into Gareth’s embrace as he hugged her from behind, taking in the sights and sounds in silence. Her dearest love’s “backyard” was absolutely beautiful… white sand unsullied ran down to meet the waves. They rolled in noisily, tipped by foam and announcing their arrival with a spray and a splash before drawing back again, only to make another meeting shortly after. Gulls called as they swooped and dived under the afternoon sun… a few boats could be seen out on the water… sighing again, Nell closed her eyes and listened, for a moment not allowing herself to dwell on anything but the peaceful sounds she had missed. But she’d made up her mind… she’d pushed away her grief and avoided thinking of what had happened to her for too long.
Almost reluctantly she looked out on the beach again, and as she set her mug down she took Gareth’s hand and squeezed it.
“Gareth…,” she started, uncertainty in her voice, then there was a pause and a deep breath., “… I want to- I mean… I’d like to… tell you about that-that day… if you care to listen.”
She was disgusted with herself for stammering. Nervously she looked at his face, feeling almost sick at the idea of recalling her worst memories.

He agreed, of course, and they sat on the back-porch-bench. For a few long minutes Nell searched for a place to start, not really sure why she wanted to share the ‘tale’ with Gareth- maybe it was because she just needed to get it out, or because she felt that he deserved to know. At length she started, unable at first to meet his gaze…

“We’d been at sea for most of the day when the corsair ship was spotted ‘tailing’ us… there wasn’t much wind, and they had oars, so my father knew it was only a matter of time before they caught up with us. He told me at once to disguise myself… I suppose he guessed what would happen. There was a despairing look in his eyes that I’d never seen before..”

Nell went on to tell him how she’d cut her hair, bound herself and taken a crew-man’s clothes, since her own had been too ‘form-fitting’, though not feminine. Her voice shook as she explained how they’d finally been caught, and boarded. The Corsair captain had left no room for ‘talk’- his men had attacked at once- and she’d had to fight. Only one man she’d killed, though she’d wounded a few, before a blow rendered her unconscious.

“I suppose they’d left me for dead,” she said slowly and uneasily, finally looking up and meeting Gareth’s grey eyes with her own. Her's were damp, but she didn’t cry. Her tears were spent- but she felt her throat tightening. “The first thing I saw was the First Mate- a man named Aeclen, like an uncle to me- dead right beside me. It was terrible, Gareth… I stood up and saw everyone dead-- the Linewlyn's deck stained red... everyone save my father, and he was being forced to ‘kneel’ before that snake of a man… I took up Aeclen’s sword, thinking for some reason that I could save him. I was disarmed in a few moments… and then my father begged them not to kill me. ‘Let the boy live’, he said, forgetting his own dignity for my sake, begging that they spare my life.”

The rest of the tale was over quickly. After her father’s death, which she’d beheld while helpless to do anything to stop it, her memories were quite ‘foggy’. It had all been a blur of time, one day bleeding into the next, just a long expanse of misery. Nell felt ashamed as she rolled up her sleeve and showed him the vague scar right above her elbow that remained from the barkeeper’s ‘marking’ his ‘property’. She saw no need to say much else about life in the Black Anchor, except to tell Gareth how she had reclaimed her father’s sword. It had been sold along with her to Toban- but she’d stolen it during the night, and hidden it under the floorboards in her ‘room’. The blade’s disappearance had been blamed on her, of course, and she’d dealt with hard punishment- but the sword had never been found, and now she smiled grimly to know that she had at least that one small triumph over her captors.

At last she fell silent, feeling as if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Another tear threatened to fall but she wiped it away before it could, then with slightly-trembling hands took Gareth’s, wondering anxiously what he would say- and what he would think…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing Naden coming back, she gave a smile to her very tall friend. "I think they'll be ready by nightfall - just as Dauron said," she commented. "Did you get Gret taken care of?" Malla inquired, knowing the Ranger cared a great deal for his mount.

“The blasted beast thinks he’s on a holiday,” Naden replied with a wink, “When I said hello he became upset at once with the thought of leaving that fine stall and those oats. I’m glad that he’s content, though, with the price they’re charging. The rapscallion-of-a-horse is fast becoming ‘used’ to his master being a sea-farer.”

"Naden, how did you fare? Were you able to find accomodations for your horse?" He heard a crash and turned to call out an order to his men, then looking back at the two Rangers, he said, "I stopped to talk to Elgar on my way up. Dinner is ready. Fortunately, I told him in advance that you would probably be joining us, Naden, so he had made sufficient to feed the Umbarian army. I know I'm hungry so why don't we go take advantage of his preparations."

Naden only shook his head at Dauron’s joke about his appetite, accepting the offer to eat with a grin and allowing Malla to go first. After he’d had his third helping the talk moved to darker things, the days ahead and what was likely to befall. The ranger found himself feeling guilty, though, for ‘dragging’ his friends into this…
When he finally went to his own cabin- happy to know the door-frame wouldn’t be knocking him unconscious- he was quickly asleep.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 09, 2006 08:01
"I stopped to talk to Elgar on my way up. Dinner is ready. Fortunately, I told him in advance that you would probably be joining us, Naden, so he had made sufficient to feed the Umbarian army. I know I'm hungry so why don't we go take advantage of his preparations."

A 'gleam' of amusement shone in Malla's grey eyes in appreciation of Captain Mindaril's teasing, and with a low chuckle, led the way down the hatchway.

And, of course, Naden didn't 'disappoint'... diving into his meal, and taking not only 'seconds'... but 'thirds'.

The talk was 'general' during most of the meal, but then the very tall Ranger began to speak of the ensuing days. Listening keenly, Malla nodded often, and added such observations or comments as she could.

She accepted the dangers of her calling with unruffled calm... though not the 'best' fighter amongst her peers, the woman ranger wasn't the 'worst' either.

When the discussion was finally ended, Malla then politely bid the two men a good evening, and headed for the cabin that Dauron had assigned her. Within only a few moments of her head settling on the pillow, she was asleep...

“Of course I’d like to see it,” she said quietly, sniffling again and smiling up at him as she delivered a quick one-armed hug.

Keeping his arm around her, Gareth then led the way inside... "Would you like some tea?" he inquired as he shut the door, and upon her accepting, kissed her cheek and headed for the kitchen to light a fire for heating some water...
He took her through the various rooms, which she smiled to observe, thinking of how many times her love must have walked those floors. She teased him about the dust that had settled on the furniture- but other than that everything was in perfect ‘order’.

Laughing, Gareth shook his head. "It always gets that way after I've been asea for a while. I didn't have much chance to attend to it before I bumped into Naden," he explained, and then excused himself to fetch Nell's tea.

And, with a smile holding all his love, the half-elven fisherman carried the cup back to her, and the 'tour' went on.
Finally they walked out onto the back porch, which faced the beach. Nell sighed and leaned into Gareth’s embrace as he hugged her from behind,

Gareth, too, gazed out at the wide beach beyond his porch... content, and happier than he could have believed to have Nell here... and to share this with her.

She'd truly seemed to like his dwelling... and that made the half-elven fisherman's heart sing.
Almost reluctantly she looked out on the beach again, and as she set her mug down she took Gareth’s hand and squeezed it.
“Gareth…,” she started, uncertainty in her voice, then there was a pause and a deep breath., “… I want to- I mean… I’d like to… tell you about that-that day… if you care to listen.”

Seeing how nervous Nell was, Gareth lovingly brushed her hair back from her eyes. With a smile he *hoped* was comforting, and reassuring, "If you want to... I'm here, love," he said softly.

- And, he listened carefully to everything Nell told him... watching the 'flicker' of emotions that crossed her beautiful face... and seeing every 'change' in her eyes.
At last she fell silent, feeling as if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Another tear threatened to fall but she wiped it away before it could, then with slightly-trembling hands took Gareth’s, wondering anxiously what he would say- and what he would think…

His heart aching for her, Gareth's sea-grey eyes reflected that... and his love for her. "I love you, Nell!" he said softly, squeezed her hands gently, - and, just as gently, held her for a very long moment. - How incredibly 'strong' his love was, he thought... and how very much he wished she could have been spared the horrors and cruelty she'd been through.

But, there was 'now'. Nell was safe now... and having shared her experiences, Gareth hoped she would never need to fear sharing her thoughts and memories with him in the future.

Loosing his arms just a bit, the half-elven fisherman gazed into Nell's eyes once again. The color in his cheeks rose slightly... not 'knowing' if she'd not wish for his next words at just this 'moment'. But, the thought of a 'future'... and the deep love he'd found in himself for this brave and beautiful woman could no longer be kept silent.

"Nell..." he began, - and then, "Love... I - there's something I've been wanting to ask you, Nell," Gareth said, his voice soft, and tender.

"You don't need to answer now," he went on, "But... I'd like it... I mean, I hope you'll at least..." and berating himself inwardly for becoming tongue-tied, the half-elf tried again.

"I love you, Nell... more than I thought it was possible to love someone. - You're everything to me... everything! - And... if you will, I want you to be my wife. - Please - will you think about it?"

Anxiously, and not just a bit nervously, Gareth waited to hear his beloved Nell's response...
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 04:57
"I love you, Nell!" he said softly, squeezed her hands gently, - and, just as gently, held her for a very long moment.

Nell was touched deeply by the look in his eyes- not a look of pity, as she had feared, but one of understanding, and empathy, and love. As she rested in his arms she had to fight off tears yet again, but these weren’t tears of grief; they were born from a love unlike anything she’d ever felt, and a comfort that came with it.
“I love you too,” she said softly, closing her eyes as he held her.

Loosing his arms just a bit, the half-elven fisherman gazed into Nell's eyes once again. The color in his cheeks rose slightly... not 'knowing' if she'd not wish for his next words at just this 'moment'. But, the thought of a 'future'... and the deep love he'd found in himself for this brave and beautiful woman could no longer be kept silent.

"Nell..." he began, - and then, "Love... I - there's something I've been wanting to ask you, Nell," Gareth said, his voice soft, and tender.

“What is it?” she asked, feeling a slight anxiety grow in her heart when she saw the blush on his cheeks. She wondered what in the world he wanted to ask that would make him redden…

"You don't need to answer now," he went on, "But... I'd like it... I mean, I hope you'll at least..." and berating himself inwardly for becoming tongue-tied, the half-elf tried again...

Nell’s lips turned up in a half-smile when her love stammered. She still thought it was adorable- but her heart was beginning to thump more quickly, as he tried again to get his question out…

"I love you, Nell... more than I thought it was possible to love someone. - You're everything to me... everything! - And... if you will, I want you to be my wife. - Please - will you think about it?"

Nell’s eyes widened as those words passed the half-elf’s lips. This was something she had not been expecting- not in the least! He loved her, she knew… but that he wanted to marry her...? She'd never seen herself with a husband...

A smile she couldn’t help touched her lips as her cheeks burned, though, her heart fluttering a mile a minute as she turned her eyes away from her love’s. His wife? His wife? Of course she wanted to be his wife- but she wouldn’t know how to be a wife! And they’d still only just met a short while ago… and although the young woman felt in her heart of hearts that she was already sure of her answer, she couldn’t bring herself to say ‘yes’ right then. After all, there was that he was a half-elf… even then she thought bitterly that it would be terrible for her to wed him, knowing that she’d ‘leave’ him in the end.
Wordlessly she wrapped her arms around Gareth and hugged him tightly, feeling a strange mixture of giddiness, excitement, worry, and regret. Against her will she giggled into his chest- which only made her blush more, since she’d never “giggled” like that, not even as a girl. The truth was that she was delighted by his proposal… and in that moment she was happier than she could ever remember being- but she couldn’t give him an answer until she had mused over it for a while…
“I will defiantly think about it, my dear,” she said quietly but joyfully, her heart swelling with so much love for him that she felt it might burst. Her grief still lingered, but like a wispy cloud hanging over her head- and when she drew her beloved Gareth’s face down for another loving kiss, that small cloud was sent away, forgotten as Nell basked in the pure pleasure of having her love beside her.

The blazing sun was setting on the horizon, and the waters were tipped with hues of gold and red. Smiling, Nell hoped that things wouldn’t be ‘awkward’ between them since she hadn’t answered his question yet. In the comfort and silence of his embrace, watching the ocean sunset and the brilliant colors that bathed the landscape, she was abruptly reminded that supper-time was coming on when her stomach gave a loud (and quite un-romantic) growl. She laughed a little and tapped her finger against Gareth’s chest, giving him a playful grin.
“It’s dinner time, love,” she said, “Are you as hungry as I am?”

gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 01:22
Nell’s eyes widened

A smile she couldn’t help touched her lips as her cheeks burned

Wordlessly she wrapped her arms around Gareth and hugged him tightly

she giggled into his chest

“I will defiantly think about it, my dear,” she said quietly but joyfully

As Nell drew him down into a kiss, Gareth was relieved. While she'd not answered him positively... neither had his love outright 'rejected' his proposal. - And, that she'd consider it *was* what he'd asked, too.

And... for the half-elven fisherman, for now, that was 'enough', and he would be content with that - with knowing Nell had been touched by his question, and that she *did* love him.

As he held her, however, Gareth knew that yea or nay, always he would love Nell... and with every beat of his heart, he prayed that - one day - it would be the former, and not the latter which would be her answer.
The blazing sun was setting on the horizon, and the waters were tipped with hues of gold and red. In the comfort and silence of his embrace, watching the ocean sunset and the brilliant colors that bathed the landscape, she was abruptly reminded that supper-time was coming on when her stomach gave a loud (and quite un-romantic) growl. She laughed a little and tapped her finger against Gareth’s chest, giving him a playful grin.
“It’s dinner time, love,” she said, “Are you as hungry as I am?”

Chuckling, Gareth nodded. "I am!" he replied, and after giving Nell a soft kiss, "Shall I cook for you?" he inquired, and took them back inside to his kitchen.

Since he'd been away, and not (really) had a chance to 'replenish' his supply of food before taking off for Umbar with Naden and Dauron, their meal was simple... but filling: cheese and various kinds of fruits Gareth had stored in his cellar; along with a few vegetables he could heat on his stove. There was no bread... and the half-elf didn't want to waste time by hunting in the marketplace for it - so they did without. - But, a good wine, and the company (he hoped!) was good enough for a quiet meal.

When they'd finished eating, however, the night was in full darkness. And, knowing that Dauron (if not Naden and Malla) would be in eagerness to set sail with the tide, Gareth still felt his heart flying as he walked Nell back to the docks, and led her up the gangplank to the Flying Gull's upper deck.

Having a quiet word with Bernor (who was still awake), he nodded, and Gareth smiled down at his love. "Allon's moved our things over from the Elanor, love," he told her as they then headed below - he showing Nell to her quarters. "And, Dauron's ship is large enough that you won't need to share a cabin with Malla."

Once there, Gareth paused, and with a soft smile, he leaned down and gave Nell a tender 'good night' kiss. "Sleep well, my love!" he whispered lovingly, and then took himself off to try and get some rest for himself...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 06:47
Dauron woke early, before the sun had even tinted the eastern sky, not having slept well during the hours he had been in his bunk. He was topside in only the time it took himself to bathe and dress. Approaching Bernor, who was manning the wheel, he stood at his side for a quiet moment. Then he asked, "Did Gareth and Nell get back?"

"Yes, Captain, they're tucked away in their cabins. Nice couple, aren't they?", he asked, a sideways glance at Dauron, a grin on his face. "They looked pretty happy when they got back."

"Yes, they are a happy couple, Bernor, and I couldn't be more pleased. Gareth has waited a long time for the right lady," laughing, he added, "A very long time," knowing Bernor was aware of Gareth's age.

"I'll take over the wheel now, my friend. Go get the crew started on their tasks. Leave our guests sleep for a while until after we've lifted anchor. There may not be much sleep in the days ahead." He began to test the feel of the wheel as his men began to pull up the anchor and the ship began to shift on the tide. "And Bernor, see if Elgar could bring me up a cup of tea, please." He swung the wheel and as the ship began to move, headed it for the channel and the bay to the open sea.

The sun began to slowly climb over the horizon in the east, lighting the fluffy clouds with an array of reds, pinks, and golds. It was a beautiful morning, too beautiful to be heading for a battle. It was the kind of day that should be followed by a holiday trip over the open ocean, watching for dolphins and whales.

Dauron thought about the people onboard. What an unlikely group they were to even be considering such a venture. Two Rangers, who were more at home among the forests and fields of the land, two fishermen who's most difficult day was seeing to the sails during a gale, a young maiden who had spent a few years in the guise of a young lad cleaning floors as a slave to a fat old tavern owner and a crew of men, who were more used to pulling nets than dodging arrows. What business did this mis-matched group have in joining battle-ready men against a navy of Umbarian ships.

Elgar arrived with his cup of tea, and Dauron thanked him, catching his arm before he could walk away. "Thank you, Elgar, for all your service over the years. You have kept me and the crew well fed and happy at all times and under the worst of circumstances on occasion. I want you to know how much I appreciate it." His cook stared at him, shook his head and stalked back to the galley, mumbling about how his Captain had his good days and his bad days and this must surely be one of his worst days. Dauron smiled as he watched him disappear down the hatchway steps and turned his head back to look out over the sea, his eyes searching for the first sight of the hills of Tol Falas.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 07:47
Nell was happy to have Gareth cooking for her. Though the meal was nothing ‘fancy’, just having him care enough to ‘fuss’ over her in this manner was enough to set her heart in flight. They didn’t do much talking… but she felt that it wasn’t needed. Simply being with him was enough for her…

Soon it was decided that they’d best get to the Gull, since they would probably be shoving off early. The walk back, though, was unhurried, and Nell thrilled to be on her love’s arm.

Having a quiet word with Bernor (who was still awake), he nodded, and Gareth smiled down at his love. "Allon's moved our things over from the Elanor, love," he told her as they then headed below - he showing Nell to her quarters. "And, Dauron's ship is large enough that you won't need to share a cabin with Malla."

Once there, Gareth paused, and with a soft smile, he leaned down and gave Nell a tender 'good night' kiss. "Sleep well, my love!" he whispered lovingly, and then took himself off to try and get some rest for himself

Nell stood at the door for a moment and watched Gareth as he went to his own cabin, then smiling widely to herself she shut the door and leaned against it, sighing. She felt elated as she recalled the way he’d asked her… if a little unsettled at the prospect of answering… but she couldn’t get ride of the smile. Another girlish giggle escaped her as she made ready for bed, feeling positively giddy. The slight worry was there too, though, about what was ahead… and about the misgivings she had concerning marriage. There was no doubt, she thought, that he had considered the same things…his being immortal and all…

Finally she had burrowed under the blankets of the bunk, and lay with her eyes closed… but for a long time she didn’t sleep. She envisioned Gareth and heard him stammering adorably, thought of marrying him and the life that would come after. She delighted at the memory of his kiss... Finally she did fall asleep, but her dreams were the same as her waking thoughts…

…and when she did wake, she saw easily that the morning was getting on. She could feel the movement of the ship and knew they’d shoved off. Sighing, she fought the urge to go back to sleep, and got out of bed, hastily scrubbing herself down and changing. She stopped for just a moment to consider her appearance in a mirror. It wasn’t anything special, to her thinking… and she frowned a little as she ran her fingers through her short hair. She’d regretted cutting it at first, but she hadn’t really missed having those long locks ‘til now. With a soft curse she turned away and headed topside. She didn’t see anyone but a few crewmen and Dauron, who was at the wheel. Yawning, and guessing that the others were all still sleeping, she walked over to him.
“Good morning,” she said, giving him a friendly grin.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Naden’s sleeping was deep *and* restful- but he woke earlier than he’d wanted and decided he’d best get up. It was slowly and stiffly he did so, still being sore from his injuries. He went topside and saw Nell speaking to Dauron, wondered why in the world Malla was still sleeping, and decided that he’d leave them alone and go get himself some breakfast.

All he could bribe from Elgar was a piece of toast, and some grumbling about his eating too much and a promise that breakfast would be ‘ready’ soon enough. Admitting defeat, the tall ranger went back topside with his toast, nibbling on it as he approached Dauron and Nell at the wheel.

“Morning,” he said a little gruffly, then squinted at the half-elf, “Dauron, you look terrible. Did you sleep at all?”
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 10:06
Awaking refreshed, Malla unhurriedly readied herself for the day. - And, as 'inexperienced' as she was with sailing, the woman ranger could tell they were no longer moored. Nodding inwardly, and feeling rather hungry, she made her way to the Galley.

But, noticing Elgar had breakfast well underway, she merely requested a cup of tea and then went 'topside'... arriving just in time to hear Naden's comment and question.
“Morning,” he said a little gruffly, then squinted at the half-elf, “Dauron, you look terrible. Did you sleep at all?”

Quite familiar with the very tall Ranger's morning demeanor, Malla's grey eyes twinkled in amusement.

Holding her mug so it wouldn't spill anything on the Flying Gull's well-scrubbed deck, "Don't 'mind' him, Captain," Malla spoke before Dauron could answer, "Naden's never been a 'morning' person... and he's absolutely 'cranky' until he's eaten breakfast!" and winked at her friend and mentor for the tease.

And, looking above at the wind-filled sails, "Quite a beautiful sight your ship must be from the shore," the woman ranger then commented. "Like her name, I would think," and then noticed Captain Silverlake's head coming up through the hatchway...

Tired, but happy, Gareth was quickly asleep. - And, though he woke early, since he wasn't 'needed' on deck, the half-elven fisherman remained in his bunk for quite some time.

A soft smile was on his lips, as he thought about the previous day. He'd taken the 'plunge' (as it were), and it was now up to Nell. - But... would she answer him as he so wished? he wondered, - and... if so... when?

Hoping his love would be sure of her own mind and heart before too many days passed, Gareth was determined *not* to make Nell feel 'uncomfortable' until then.

And, when he at last rose and made himself presentable, upon seeing the group standing 'round Dauron at the wheel, Gareth smiled, and greeted Nell as he had on the previous mornings, with a gentle word, and a loving kiss before turning to his friend.

Not knowing about Naden's earlier 'assessment' of his fire-headed friend, Gareth frowned. "Why don't you turn the Wheel over to Bernor and get yourself some rest, Dauron?" he asked. "We won't be reaching Tol Falas again until nightfall..."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 01:25
Dauron was peacefully watching the sea ahead of him as the sun rose. He had slept poorly, which was why he had finally given up the fight and come topside to take over the wheel from Bernor. As he watched the ocean rolling in front of him, he heard light footsteps approaching. Turning he saw that Nell was the first to awaken to the new day.

“Good morning,” she said, giving him a friendly grin.

"And good morning to you, too, fair Nell. You are looking like a cat with a bowl of cream," Dauron said, scrutinizing her face. She had a grin that did not seem to leave and he began to wonder what had transpired between Gareth and her on their jaunt yesterday. Inwardly, he smiled, suspecting that Gareth had finally 'braved the dragon' and asked Nell to be his wife.

Before she could say a word, however, more footsteps trod across the deck. Naden joined the pair of them, nibbling on a piece of toast.

More footfalls arrive as Naden gave Dauron his morning greetings. Malla arrived at their side deftly holding a cup of tea.

"Don't 'mind' him, Captain," Malla spoke before Dauron could answer, "Naden's never been a 'morning' person... and he's absolutely 'cranky' until he's eaten breakfast!" and winked at her friend and mentor for the tease.

And, looking above at the wind-filled sails, "Quite a beautiful sight your ship must be from the shore," the woman ranger then commented. "Like her name, I would think," and then noticed Captain Silverlake's head coming up through the hatchway...

Dauron also caught a glimpse of Gareth as he came though the hatchway, chuckling to himself that except for Nell, he had not had been able to get a word in edgewise.

Gareth smiled, and greeted Nell as he had on the previous mornings, with a gentle word, and a loving kiss before turning to his friend.

Not knowing about Naden's earlier 'assessment' of his fire-headed friend, Gareth frowned. "Why don't you turn the Wheel over to Bernor and get yourself some rest, Dauron?" he asked. "We won't be reaching Tol Falas again until nightfall..."

"People. People. I am fine though your greetings would say otherwise. Do I really look that wretched? I must admit to not sleeping well last night....too much on my mind, as I'm sure you all understand....but all I am at this point is hungry." He looked across the deck to note that Elgar was waving to them from the hatchway. "And as Elgar has breakfast prepared, may I suggest that we all go and eat some of it." Calling out to Elgar, he asked, "Elgar, did you remember that Naden is onboard. I hope you've made enough for all of us." Elgar shook his head at Dauron's jest and his head disappeared below deck. Moments later, Bernor's appeared in it's place and the First Mate crossed to the wheel.

"I'll take it now, sir. You join your friends and get yourself something to eat." He took over the wheel and the five companions headed for the Galley. When they were all seated, Dauron decided it was time to follow up on his suspicions and asked, "So, Gareth, anything exciting happen yesterday?"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 11:18
"People. People. I am fine though your greetings would say otherwise. Do I really look that wretched? I must admit to not sleeping well last night....too much on my mind, as I'm sure you all understand....but all I am at this point is hungry."

"No… not really," Gareth chuckled, and exchanged an amused glance with Nell. - She was still smiling… as she had since last evening, yet neither one of them had said a thing. - But, again, the half-elven fisherman knew he'd touched the young woman's heart… even by *asking* her to be his wife…
He looked across the deck to note that Elgar was waving to them from the hatchway. "And as Elgar has breakfast prepared, may I suggest that we all go and eat some of it." Calling out to Elgar, he asked, "Elgar, did you remember that Naden is onboard. I hope you've made enough for all of us." Elgar shook his head at Dauron's jest and his head disappeared below deck. Moments later, Bernor's appeared in it's place and the First Mate crossed to the wheel.

Her grey eyes twinkling to see Naden so 'teased' by the sailors, Malla followed the others below.
When they were all seated, Dauron decided it was time to follow up on his suspicions and asked, "So, Gareth, anything exciting happen yesterday?"

Sitting next to Nell, Gareth felt his cheeks beginning to 'burn'… and from the corner of his eye, he saw she had gone as red as himself. - But, really, there was nothing he could say… no way to 'answer' his old friend… not until Nell had given her answer… or, the answer he so wished her to give.

So, shrugging his shoulders, "I just showed Nell my house," Gareth replied, carefully avoiding Dauron's keen eyes… as well as Naden's, "and we walked around Dol Amroth a bit… seeing what's changed since she was last here."

Hoping that 'everyone' would accept his reply, the half-elven fisherman then ('pointedly') changed the subject, and concentrated (mostly) on the morning meal…

Calmly watching the 'interplay' between the sea-folk and Naden, Malla gratefully attended to her own food. - And, when the very tall Ranger demanded his second-helping of Elgar's excellent breakfast, she couldn't help but 'tease' her friend again.

"If you take 'thirds' again, Naden," she said, and the corner of her mouth 'twitched', "I'm going to beg Elgar for a stock of fruit to keep in my own quarters… otherwise, I'll go 'hungry' from you eating it all first!"

And then, she inquired from Dauron, Elgar, and Gareth and Nell what foods were 'best' to keep for long periods of time at sea… well noting the 'gleam' in Naden's eyes whenever something of (particular) 'interest' caught his ears.

It wasn't that she was 'expecting' this to take a long time… but Malla knew it never 'hurt' to know as much as possible on any given subject…
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 06:32
Elgar, did you remember that Naden is onboard. I hope you've made enough for all of us." Elgar shook his head at Dauron's jest and his head disappeared below deck. Moments later, Bernor's appeared in it's place and the First Mate crossed to the wheel.

Naden grinned at the teasing, having grown quite used to it… and he ate the last bite of his toast as he followed the others down to the galley.

Nell stayed close to Gareth, still feeling almost as if she were walking on air- despite the burdensome thoughts of what lay ahead for all of them. She blushed a little when Dauron asked if anything ‘exciting’ had happened the day before, and appreciated her love’s nonchalant answer, inwardly cringing at the memory of their ‘walking’ through Dol Amroth- and her ‘breaking down’ at seeing her old house. She was doubly grateful when he changed the subject to some other matter, hopefully getting the point across that the previous day’s events didn’t need – or want- discussing. Naden’s concentration was mostly on the meal, though he took every chance he could to tease both Dauron and Malla, for whatever silly reason he could think of.

Calmly watching the 'interplay' between the sea-folk and Naden, Malla gratefully attended to her own food. - And, when the very tall Ranger demanded his second-helping of Elgar's excellent breakfast, she couldn't help but 'tease' her friend again.

"If you take 'thirds' again, Naden," she said, and the corner of her mouth 'twitched', "I'm going to beg Elgar for a stock of fruit to keep in my own quarters… otherwise, I'll go 'hungry' from you eating it all first!"

“Neither of you ever tire of it, do you?” He shot back with a smile, pointing his fork in both Malla’s direction then Dauron’s, “I enjoy good food… and when its available, I enjoy as much as possible.”
He winked as the topic turned once more, though he listened intently as they discussed the food items on board.

Nell was silent, lost in her own thoughts (and smiling often at them) as she ate.

Soon things were done, and Nell joined Gareth back topside, standing with him at the railing and looking out. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then turned and smiled up at him, bumping his hip with hers. No words did she say… but she looped her arm through his, happy to have him there. She still felt bad about not being able to answer him right away… a nagging doubt still bugged the back of her mind… and sighing, she leaned against him, content to dwell only on his presence, forgetting all else.

Naden, meanwhile, was at a loss for anything to do. He considered asking Dauron if there were anything he could help with, but quickly decided that he’d get stuck with a job involving fish, or something less-than-desirable, so instead he fetched his sword from his cabin and set to oiling it back on deck.

After he was satisfied he stood up and swung the blade about a bit, catching his breath a little at the slight twinge in his rib-area. He remembered then- vaguely- that Gareth… or Dauron.. or was it Nell?... mentioned something about sword-play during his ‘rescue’. There was a good chance, he thought, that they’d be boarded when they reached Umbar… and now that they had the time, practice with swords would come in handy… so…

“Gareth!” he called, seeing the half-elf standing with Nell, then, “Dauron! How about some practice blade-dancing? If its been so long you may need to be familiar with your swords, gentlemen.”
He whisked his own blade through the air a few times with a grin, as if to prove his point. Nell had turned to look at him and she squeezed Gareth in a hug, and smirked at the ranger.

“I’ve been practicing- just without anyone to fight with.”

“Then, fair lady, it is that stubborn fisherman beside you who needs the practice more. Come on, Gareth-“ and a wry smile touched his lips, “I won’t hurt you.”
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 09:24
When breakfast was over, which was when Naden had eaten his fill as Dauron put it, the group went topside, all enjoying the beauty of the day in their own way. Bernor was at the wheel so Dauron was able to do little more than talk to Malla and keep his eye on Gareth and Nell, quite sure in his mind that a proposal had been made, though perhaps not answered yet.

Naden had propped himself against the rails and was busy oiling his sword. Dauron was highly amused when Naden finished, stood, and began to 'parry with shadows' as the sea folk called it.

“Gareth!” he called, seeing the half-elf standing with Nell, then, “Dauron! How about some practice blade-dancing? If its been so long you may need to be familiar with your swords, gentlemen.” He whisked his own blade through the air a few times with a grin, as if to prove his point.

Nell pointed out that she herself had been practicing, but without anyone to fight with. To which Naden responded, “Then, fair lady, it is that stubborn fisherman beside you who needs the practice more. Come on, Gareth-“ and a wry smile touched his lips, “I won’t hurt you.”

Dauron smiled at the bantering and glanced down at Malla, who also had a smile on her face. "I say, m'lady, are you up for some parrying?" He patted his sword which was at his hip, and continued, "If you are, I too could use the practice. Tis not often that fishermen are asked to use sword techniques. We are better trained at mending our nets and sails."

When she agreed, and had gone to her cabin to retrieve her own sword, she appeared on deck and faced Dauron. Both raised their swords vertically before their lips, and Malla made the first swing. Dauron blocked it easily and swung low to her legs. He was equally well blocked as she countered. They parried for some time until both were breathless and finally decided to sit on the long bench, their swords point down on the deck.

Dauron wiped his brow and grinned at Malla. "Never underestimate a woman, is what I've always said. You are quite the warrior. I would not fear to go to battle with you at my side. I only wish I could have given you a better challenge. I am quite rusty, I fear." He was never more sincere and was certainly not hinting at a rebuttal from her. She was an expert with the sword and he was truly impressed. If he had ever doubted her prowess as a Ranger, those doubts were wiped away by her display of footwork and ability with her weapon.

He watched as Naden and Gareth completed their workout and called to them, "I don't know about you gentlemen, but I could use an ale and something to eat." Staring directly at Naden, he asked with a twinkle in his eyes, "Have your efforts increased your appetite enough to clear out our stores? It's a long way back to Tol Falas to restock, you know."

"And you, m'lady, will you join me for that ale and some sustenance? You have worn me out." Picking up his sword and resheathing it, he held hers as well. "What say you we drop this off in your cabin on our way?" Holding her sword in his left hand, he crooked his right elbow, allowing her to take his arm. That she did was a surprise to him but a pleasant one, he thought instantly. She was a unique person, he mused. All Ranger in her gear, her abilities, her manner, her style...and yet, her smile, her soft skin, her curves were all feminine. He found himself liking her all the more with every passing day and was certain, that should they come to battle in the near future, she would hold her own as well as any man aboard.

(OOC: Took a little leeway with Malla, Gwen, hope you don't mind)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 03:00
(( Tis fine, Bereth! Hope this is okay!! ))

Whether it was listening to (and laughing at) the 'banter' between Naden, Dauron, and Malla... or just standing quietly by the railing, it made no difference to Gareth Silverlake. - As long as Nell was beside him, he was happy. - And, to see the smile hovering on her lips was just... 'everything'. And, not even the small, nagging thought that Nell might say him nay would he allow to 'intrude' on his enjoyment of having her near.

He was glad, however, that (so far) Dauron hadn't 'pressed' either one of them for 'details'. - Details that neither the half-elven fisherman nor his beloved were ready to speak of - yet.

Gareth paid little attention to Naden when he went for, and then began oiling his sword... at least, at first. - But, shaking himself out of sun-dreams of the future, the sea-captain remembered that danger was all very much ahead of them.

he stood up and swung the blade about a bit, catching his breath a little at the slight twinge in his rib-area.

“Gareth!” he called, seeing the half-elf standing with Nell, then, “Dauron! How about some practice blade-dancing? If its been so long you may need to be familiar with your swords, gentlemen.”
He whisked his own blade through the air a few times with a grin, as if to prove his point. Nell had turned to look at him and she squeezed Gareth in a hug, and smirked at the ranger.

“I’ve been practicing- just without anyone to fight with.”

“Then, fair lady, it is that stubborn fisherman beside you who needs the practice more. Come on, Gareth-“ and a wry smile touched his lips, “I won’t hurt you.”

"Hmm?" Gareth grinned, and looked down at Nell. "Dare I 'trust' him, do you think?" he asked. But, "I did say something about 'needing practice' a few days ago - didn't I?" he added in an aside to Dauron, and then nodded his agreement.

Giivng Nell a quick kiss on her cheek, "I'll be right back!" Gareth told Naden, and fetched his weapon. - Though, that he'd actually used it - and perhaps - would be again was something that sobered him.

And, Gareth was glad they were all on the Flying Gull, too. 'Roomy'-enough was his own, smaller vessel... but not for a sparring-match, really. - Or, two of them, when he noticed that Malla had retrieved her own sword and preparing to practice with Dauron.

But, it was Naden the half-elf's attention was on, and after a quick 'salute', they'd begun...

Dauron smiled at the bantering and glanced down at Malla, who also had a smile on her face. "I say, m'lady, are you up for some parrying?" He patted his sword which was at his hip, and continued, "If you are, I too could use the practice. Tis not often that fishermen are asked to use sword techniques. We are better trained at mending our nets and sails."

Malla gave a low chuckle, and eyed the red-haired sailor... appraising his longer reach, and the muscles playing underneath his shirt. "It never hurts to practice," she replied calmly, but it was with a twinkle in her grey eyes that the woman ranger headed below for her sword.

Both raised their swords vertically before their lips, and Malla made the first swing. Dauron blocked it easily and swung low to her legs. He was equally well blocked as she countered.

She wasn't the 'best' fighter amongst the rangers... and her woman's strength (and height) was always a 'disadvantage' against most of her opponents. - But, Malla had been taught well... and she'd paid close attention to her instructors - Naden, included.

Swift, steady, Malla's eye was keen - her strikes 'clean', and well-timed... honed from constant use. - Nor was she really surprised to find Captain Mindaril had a good deal of skill for himself, despite his comment about 'nets' and 'sails'... and to her delight, the two were quite well 'matched'.
They parried for some time until both were breathless and finally decided to sit on the long bench, their swords point down on the deck.

Dauron wiped his brow and grinned at Malla. "Never underestimate a woman, is what I've always said. You are quite the warrior. I would not fear to go to battle with you at my side. I only wish I could have given you a better challenge. I am quite rusty, I fear."

Checking her weapon carefully before resheathing it, Malla shook her head. - And, meeting Dauron's gaze the corner of her mouth 'twitched' when she answered.

"Not at all, Captain," the woman ranger said quietly, and calmly. "- I enjoy a good match - and you were a challenging opponent - if only because we've not sparred before..."
Naden and Gareth completed their workout and called to them, "I don't know about you gentlemen, but I could use an ale and something to eat." Staring directly at Naden, he asked with a twinkle in his eyes, "Have your efforts increased your appetite enough to clear out our stores? It's a long way back to Tol Falas to restock, you know."

"And you, m'lady, will you join me for that ale and some sustenance? You have worn me out." Picking up his sword and resheathing it, he held hers as well. "What say you we drop this off in your cabin on our way?" Holding her sword in his left hand, he crooked his right elbow,

Rather hesitantly, for she wasn't 'used' to such 'niceties', Malla took Captain Mindaril's arm as they headed for the hatchway.

Though, inwardly, the woman ranger was chuckling at the very energetic Dauron calling himself 'worn out'. Handsome, and well-confident in his sailing abilities was the Flying Gull's captain... and a fine swordsman, too. - And, he was someone Malla was glad to know would be (if necessary) fighting alongside her and Naden.

And, glancing at the much taller Ranger as they sat down in the galley, "A good group you've run in with, Naden," Malla complemented him, and with quiet a nod to all of them took a grateful sip of her ale.

After they'd all relaxed for a while, Gareth and Nell then excused themselves to go chat quietly somewhere else, Malla turned again to Dauron... and though it was the sailor she spoke to, the woman ranger included Naden in her glance. "May I ask who taught you sword-fighting, Captain? - You've a particular twirling 'lunge' move I'm not familiar with. It took quite a bit to figure how to 'counter' it. - If there's time, and you don't mind teaching me, - I'd like to learn it..."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 08:50
"Hmm?" Gareth grinned, and looked down at Nell. "Dare I 'trust' him, do you think?" he asked. But, "I did say something about 'needing practice' a few days ago - didn't I?" he added in an aside to Dauron, and then nodded his agreement.

“I think you can trust him,” Nell replied to the first question, then nodded her own agreement to the second. She smiled as Gareth went to fetch his sword then turned her attention on Dauron and Malla. That had also decided to have a bit of practice between them, and Nell smirked to herself. She needed it, she supposed, but she wasn’t in the mood… and she’d rather watch her love in action anyway.

And, Gareth was glad they were all on the Flying Gull, too. 'Roomy'-enough was his own, smaller vessel... but not for a sparring-match, really. - Or, two of them, when he noticed that Malla had retrieved her own sword and preparing to practice with Dauron.

But, it was Naden the half-elf's attention was on, and after a quick 'salute', they'd begun...

Naden approached the ‘duel’ with his friend in the same way he would have with the young rangers he’d trained- carefully, but not softly. He took the first swing which Gareth dodged easily, then blocked a return blow, and from there they moved in rhythm, the ranger becoming impressed with the half-elf’s skill. He had more experience though- so it was more than once they came to a stand-still, where a few more inches would have meant injury or death in an actual fight. Each time he gave his friend ‘advice’, pointing out where he’d gone wrong and what he could do to ‘correct’ his small mistakes- things concerning foot-movement, sword positions and such. After the third time they’d started again, Gareth truly became a worthy opponent, and when Naden finally saw an opening to ‘go’ for the other’s throat, he found that the half-elf’s sword was already frozen a short distance from his own.

Laughing, and out of breath, Naden stepped back and looked over his sword quickly before sheathing it, then bowed and stood up smiling, with only the slightest wince at the twinge in his rib area.
“You’re already a fine swordsman,” he said with a wink, “I think you just needed to recall that side of yourself.”

“Wonderful,” Nell said with a smile, going to Gareth’s side and bumping his hip, “All four of you. Quite entertaining to watch.”
“And no worries, Nell, I kept my promise- not a scratch on your half-elf.”

Naden and Gareth completed their workout and called to them, "I don't know about you gentlemen, but I could use an ale and something to eat." Staring directly at Naden, he asked with a twinkle in his eyes, "Have your efforts increased your appetite enough to clear out our stores? It's a long way back to Tol Falas to restock, you know."

“If I leave your crew bereft of food, Dauron, you’re welcome to toss me overboard. But I second that idea.”
“Me as well,” Nell said, and looped her arm through Gareth’s, grinning up at him. “Maybe we could practice with our swords later, love? Of course I wouldn’t want to risk hurting you either…”

And, glancing at the much taller Ranger as they sat down in the galley, "A good group you've run in with, Naden," Malla complemented him, and with quiet a nod to all of them took a grateful sip of her ale.

“I have to agree with you on that,” Naden said, smiling over his own mug, “They’re a strange bunch but I’d certainly be in trouble- and probably very bored- without them.”

After a while of conversation (and many laughs, despite the cloud of danger that hovered over every thought) Nell had fallen silent and thoughtful, and finally she excused herself- and Gareth- asking if she could speak to him privately. She’d been giving it a lot of thought… his proposal.. and she finally felt that she was able to answer… but her heart was thumping anxiously as she led her love back up to the deck. They made their way to the railing where they’d been earlier, and she took his hands in her own, looking down at them.

“I’ve been thinking, love… about what you asked me. I..ah.. we still don’t know each other all that well… and we would need to wait a little while… I don’t really know how to be a proper wife…There’s so much to consider- the fact that I’m mortal not the least… and with what’s going on and where we’re headed, both of our futures are uncertain…”

She looked up and met his gaze then, a soft smile touching her lips.
“But I am certain of my love for you, Gareth Silverlake. Nothing would make me happier than to be your wife… so, my answer is yes… yes, yes, yes!!”

With that Nell drew him closer for a tender kiss, then threw her arms around him in a hug, so happy that she didn’t even mind the few joyful tears that sprung from her eyes.
“Let’s keep it a secret from the others,” she whispered, still clinging to him, “At least until after Umbar… this isn’t the time to announce something like this.”

Malla turned again to Dauron... and though it was the sailor she spoke to, the woman ranger included Naden in her glance. "May I ask who taught you sword-fighting, Captain? - You've a particular twirling 'lunge' move I'm not familiar with. It took quite a bit to figure how to 'counter' it. - If there's time, and you don't mind teaching me, - I'd like to learn it..."

“I didn’t see that,” Naden said, and winked at Malla “But I’m interested also. Since I did teach young Malla how to use her sword, it’s obvious that there are some techniques I’m not familiar with.”
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 02:51
The 'dueling' had been good for Dauron. He remembered back to Umbar, when he had pulled his sword for the first time in ages during the rescue of Naden. He was now thinking that the mission they were on could possibly put him in need of using it once again and was somewhat relieved to have had this 'practice' session.

They sat in the galley, Dauron and Naden both adjusting frequently when both their long legs became continually entangled in the small space. But the conversation was enjoyable and the ale cold. When he noticed Nell nudging Gareth, and then they both excused themselves to go topside, Dauron caught Gareth's eye for a minute, his eyebrow rose and he winked at his friend, whose cheeks reddened as he turned quickly away from Dauron's questioning look. He was interrupted in this thoughts by Malla. She and Naden had both been talking about the mock-battleing when she surprised Dauron.

"May I ask who taught you sword-fighting, Captain? - You've a particular twirling 'lunge' move I'm not familiar with. It took quite a bit to figure how to 'counter' it. - If there's time, and you don't mind teaching me, - I'd like to learn it..."

Naden's head came up and he looked first at Malla and then Dauron.

“I didn’t see that,” Naden said, and winked at Malla “But I’m interested also. Since I did teach young Malla how to use her sword, it’s obvious that there are some techniques I’m not familiar with.”

"Ahh, then I shall have to introduce you both to my cousin, Berethion. He's from my mother's side of the family...the elven side. He taught me most of what I know and his many eons of experience probably includes movements long since forgotten or known only to the elves. But let's go topside and I can show the basic step." He rose and the other rose with him and they companionably climbed to the deck, Dauron pulling his sword free and making a couple of spins to demonstrate the lunge that Malla had asked about.

When the demonstration was completed, Dauron suggested that they take the sun as he had to check with Bernor and get back to duty. Passing Gareth and Nell, who stood arm and arm next to the rail, Dauron patted Gareth's shoulder, whispering in his ear as he passed, "So, anything exciting happen up here while we were below?" not stopping to wait for the answer he suspected would not be given. He joined Bernor at the wheel and they discussed the swells, the tide, the wind, and how it was or was not inhibiting their forward movement.

"The wind and waves have been pushin' us in the face, sir, but the wind has come around in the past hour, so I'm thinkin' we'll make Tol Falas about sundown," Bernor concluded.

"Excellent, Bernor. Give me a call when you need me to take over."

Sure enough, the hills of Tol Falas came into view as the sun was beginning its westward slide and they docked as the last of the red ball sunk below the surface.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 06:16
After a while of conversation (and many laughs, despite the cloud of danger that hovered over every thought) Nell had fallen silent and thoughtful, and finally she excused herself- and Gareth- asking if she could speak to him privately.

"Of course!" Gareth smiled, and carefully avoided Dauron's eyes as he rose to follow Nell to the upper deck.

As they climbed the stairs, the half-elven fisherman's heart was pounding madly. There was only one 'reason' his new love could wish to speak with him alone that Gareth could think of… and that was to Answer his proposal. - But… what would be her reply?

She loved him - that much he knew. But… did Nell want him as her husband? - And, if not - what then? *His* heart would not change… Gareth knew that for a fact. But… (and inwardly, he writhed at all the 'buts' that kept arising in his thoughts) would she want to remain on the Elanor? Would it be too… 'awkward' if she did? he wondered, and then wondered what would be worse: if Nell refused, and stayed… her wish to not wed him resting between them - whilst his heart longed for the partnership of her as his wife; - or… for her to leave - and Gareth to only see her occasionally - when in Port… and still, that 'space' there between them. - And, how would he 'act' towards *her* if Nell refused him? Would HIS presence make her 'uncomfortable'?

Wild imaginings flitted through the half-elf's thoughts as Nell stopped by the railing.
she took his hands in her own, looking down at them.

“I’ve been thinking, love… about what you asked me. I..ah.. we still don’t know each other all that well… and we would need to wait a little while… I don’t really know how to be a proper wife…There’s so much to consider- the fact that I’m mortal not the least… and with what’s going on and where we’re headed, both of our futures are uncertain…”

Biting his lip, Gareth knew his love's points were good ones - though he 'dismissed' her comment about being a 'proper' wife. - After all… what did he 'know' about being a husband? Were not these things they could learn… within being wed?

And… yes, Gareth also understood Nell's concern about her mortality… but he didn't care. To have her with him for even the length of Nell's life-span would be a joy he could not bear to be without! - And, after that… well… living would be lonely… a part of him torn away forever. - And, as for 'waiting' - *that* the half-elf would and could do… as long as Nell wished. - Yet, she'd not given him a 'no'… nor a…
She looked up and met his gaze then, a soft smile touching her lips.
“But I am certain of my love for you, Gareth Silverlake. Nothing would make me happier than to be your wife… so, my answer is yes… yes, yes, yes!!”

Almost, Gareth couldn't believe… and he couldn't breathe… and the wide smile that threatened to split his face was (quite!) happily 'interrupted' by Nell's tender kiss.
then threw her arms around him in a hug, so happy that she didn’t even mind the few joyful tears that sprung from her eyes.
“Let’s keep it a secret from the others,” she whispered, still clinging to him, “At least until after Umbar… this isn’t the time to announce something like this.”

Holding Nell tightly in his arms, Gareth buried his face into her short, dark, hair. "We will!" he promised, "For as long as you wish, love!" he choked out… feeling the 'sting' of happy tears in his eyes.

"Oh, Nell!" he whispered, loosing her a little to gaze into her green-and-brown-flecked eyes. "I love you so, Nell Reedsman!" the half-elf went on softly, and leaned down to give his (secretly) betrothed love a long, and *very* loving kiss.

After which, and with a deep sigh that reflected his happiness, Gareth kept his arm around Nell… holding her close as they both gazed out across the wide, and so-beautiful sea they both loved. - And, they were still there when Dauron chanced to pass by them a while later.
Dauron patted Gareth's shoulder, whispering in his ear as he passed, "So, anything exciting happen up here while we were below?" not stopping to wait for the answer

Clamping his lips on a smile, and with reddened cheeks, Gareth grinned down at Nell and shook his head in rueful amusement.

"Don't worry, love," he quietly reassured her, "Dauron may guess, but until either you or I actually *say* something to confirm it - he'll not either. He'll tease us both, I'm sure… but he'll keep silent."

Hugging Nell to him again, " - And… if I know my rascally young relative as well as I think I do - if… when the time comes for it… we DON'T ask Dauron to officiate, he'll never forgive either one of us! - Would you mind - when we announce it - if I ask him?"

"Ahh, then I shall have to introduce you both to my cousin, Berethion. He's from my mother's side of the family...the elven side. He taught me most of what I know and his many eons of experience probably includes movements long since forgotten or known only to the elves. But let's go topside and I can show the basic step." He rose and the other rose with him and they companionably climbed to the deck, Dauron pulling his sword free and making a couple of spins to demonstrate the lunge that Malla had asked about.

When the demonstration was completed, Dauron suggested that they take the sun as he had to check with Bernor and get back to duty.

Keenly, Malla watched as the Flying Gull's Captain showed her and Naden the move… and then quietly thanked him. She wasn't surprised it was an 'elven-type' move… not with the 'smoothness' of it, and Dauron's agility bespoke his bloodline.

- Though, as Captain Mindaril headed off to check his ship, the ranger-woman turned to her friend. "I'd like to practice it some, Naden… and I can show you the 'counter' to it, if you'd like…"

~@~@~

By the time the day drew to a close, and the Flying Gull being steered toward it's usual 'slip' (or so Captain Mindaril had told Malla), the young ranger thought the day had been spent quite well. - Always, she was looking to expand her skills, and since swordfighting was a necessary part, it had been a good thing to learn more.

Standing by Dauron's side as the land-lines were secured, Malla found herself liking the tall red-head's skill with his vessel. "Not even a 'bump'!" she commented, a twinkle showing in her grey eyes. "Now all we need do is wait for Thorongil and the rest of his forces. They should be here soon, though."

With a 'twitch' in the corner of her mouth, "Do you have more 'provisioning' to attend to here in your 'home' port, Captain?" Malla inquired, and paused, her gaze drawn to a number of vessels rocking gently at anchor not far away. The sun had set, but it was still 'light' enough to see the details of their making. "Are those fishing ships?" she then asked curiously, and nodded toward the nearest. "I can tell they're not the ones Thorongil is using," the ranger went on, "They've a different… 'look' to them," Malla added, and raised her eyebrow at Dauron to see if she was 'right'…

[Edited on 1/2/2006 by gwendeth]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 04:38
Holding Nell tightly in his arms, Gareth buried his face into her short, dark, hair. "We will!" he promised, "For as long as you wish, love!" he choked out… feeling the 'sting' of happy tears in his eyes.

"Oh, Nell!" he whispered, loosing her a little to gaze into her green-and-brown-flecked eyes. "I love you so, Nell Reedsman!" the half-elf went on softly, and leaned down to give his (secretly) betrothed love a long, and *very* loving kiss.

After which, and with a deep sigh that reflected his happiness, Gareth kept his arm around Nell… holding her close as they both gazed out across the wide, and so-beautiful sea they both loved. - And, they were still there when Dauron chanced to pass by them a while later.

Nell had been content and happy in a way she’d never known to just stand close to her love and watch the sea pass them by. She thought of the day they would be married- if it ever came- and blushingly wondered about the wedding night, though she didn’t voice her thoughts. She simply smiled and sighed, just *knowing* that she’d made the right decision, and that her father would have been proud. For wouldn't she be marrying a sailor of the finest quality? It was all she could do to keep from squealing... but the only sign of her happiness was the quiet smile on her face.

Dauron patted Gareth's shoulder, whispering in his ear as he passed, "So, anything exciting happen up here while we were below?" not stopping to wait for the answer

Clamping his lips on a smile, and with reddened cheeks, Gareth grinned down at Nell and shook his head in rueful amusement.

"Don't worry, love," he quietly reassured her, "Dauron may guess, but until either you or I actually *say* something to confirm it - he'll not either. He'll tease us both, I'm sure… but he'll keep silent."

Hugging Nell to him again, " - And… if I know my rascally young relative as well as I think I do - if… when the time comes for it… we DON'T ask Dauron to officiate, he'll never forgive either one of us! - Would you mind - when we announce it - if I ask him?"

“I would mind if you didn’t,” Nell said with a smile, and she gave his hip a bump, “I wouldn’t have anyone else. And I’m sure he’s already guessed, as well as you two know eachother… but I don’t think he’ll tell anyone his thoughts.”

It was with Gareth she spent the rest of the trip to Tol Falas… and as the sun was setting on their arrival she couldn’t help but think about the possibility that there wouldn’t *be* a wedding, if something should happen to one of them in Umbar… for, when she thought about it, they were running back into the fire that had burned them before. She was going back to the place that had been her oppression and her nightmare for two years… but it was different this time, of course. She was going back to have revenge, in a way, to avenge her father’s death and the murder of his crew… but also because these people had saved her, and there was no way she’d abandon them now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ahh, then I shall have to introduce you both to my cousin, Berethion. He's from my mother's side of the family...the elven side. He taught me most of what I know and his many eons of experience probably include movements long since forgotten or known only to the elves. But let's go topside and I can show the basic step." He rose and the others rose with him and they companionably climbed to the deck, Dauron pulling his sword free and making a couple of spins to demonstrate the lunge that Malla had asked about.

When the demonstration was completed, Dauron suggested that they take the sun as he had to check with Bernor and get back to duty.

Naden imitated the move that Dauron showed him. He was very impressed with it, and told the red-head so… he’d ‘practiced’ with a few elves in his lifetime, but he’d never learned this particular technique.

Though, as Captain Mindaril headed off to check his ship, the ranger-woman turned to her friend. "I'd like to practice it some, Naden… and I can show you the 'counter' to it, if you'd like…"

“Please do,” Naden said with a smile, “The student teaching the teacher at last? You are the best ranger I’ve ever trained, Malla… much better than Erik, the rascal. I’m afraid he’s doomed to be a novice forever. Very well, let’s get to it!”

They practiced a bit with their swords, tossing teasing banter back and forth as they’d always done- and when they were finished, Naden complimented her heartily. He considered inviting Nell to practice… but he could clearly see that she was ‘occupied’, as was Gareth.

When they reached Tol Falas he looked about eagerly for the fleet, wondering how long they would have to wait. He wondered if they’d encounter bad weather during the journey- he didn’t *think* so, but one could never be sure…
(sorry it isn’t much… >< )
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 09, 2006 04:34
Dauron sailed the 'Gull' into his slip, guiding it with an expert hand, standing by the wheel as he ordered the lines to be secured and the sails lowered and tied down. He smiled down at Malla, who had stood at his side as he had gone through the manuvering and the final orders.

"Simple," he grinned, "once you know what you're doing, of course."

"Not even a 'bump'!" she commented, a twinkle showing in her grey eyes. "Now all we need do is wait for Thorongil and the rest of his forces. They should be here soon, though."

Pointing back the way they came, he nodded, "Tell me what you see?" He waited while she searched the waters and when she excitedly pointed, he nodded again. "Good, very good. That's it, the phalanx ship of Thorongil's navy." He smiled, telling her, "We'll make a sailor out of you yet. One of the things most important is your vision, being able to pick things from the waves and realize their significance. But it will be a while before they arrive so we needn't worry just yet."

With a 'twitch' in the corner of her mouth, "Do you have more 'provisioning' to attend to here in your 'home' port, Captain?" Malla inquired, and paused, her gaze drawn to a number of vessels rocking gently at anchor not far away. The sun had set, but it was still 'light' enough to see the details of their making. "Are those fishing ships?" she then asked curiously, and nodded toward the nearest. "I can tell they're not the ones Thorongil is using," the ranger went on, "They've a different… 'look' to them," Malla added, and raised her eyebrow at Dauron to see if she was 'right'…

"Yes, we will need to stock up but I can leave that to Bernor and Elgar. They know the routine and will know what to get. We, on the other hand, can go for dinner, as soon as we round up Naden, Gareth and Nell," he explained. Following her look down the length of the harbour, he noted the ships she was asking about. "And yes, they are fishing vessels. Do you see the double rigs and the high central cabins? That's the first thing one looks for to identify them. Notice how high my rigs are? Good, and a very good observation. You say you've never been around ships before, eh?" He took her arm in his hand, and said, "Let's go find everyone. I'm starved .. and if I am, can you imagine how Naden must be feeling about now?"

When the group was together, Dauron spoke authoratively. "We are going to the White Feather for dinner, my friends. Elgar is busy with provisions, and Thorongil's fleet is already entering the harbor. This may be our last time on land for some time to come and I want to eat a good meal and drink a good tankard of ale before we head out to sea. Naden, I think Thorongil, or his representative will be able to find us there by just asking Bernor."

The companions walked through the twilight to the Inn and entered a crowded dining hall, finding a table for all five in the back corner. There they sat, ordering the best the Inn had to offer, and drinking the ale served by friendly barmaids. Dauron watched Gareth and Nell, his eyes twinkling with amusement, wanting to say something about what he knew in his heart had taken place between them but holding his tongue. Whatever it was, it was theirs to say when they were ready. But whenever he caught Gareth's eyes, he winked and grinned, watching Gareth turn pink. Otherwise, the group had little to do now but wait...wait for their orders.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 10, 2006 08:50
(( OOC: Okay, dd and Bereth - I hope the following 'battle plan' makes sense. And, to help everyone to 'visualize' it, I've posted a small map in the EOT OOC thread, too. ))

“Please do,” Naden said with a smile, “The student teaching the teacher at last? You are the best ranger I’ve ever trained, Malla… much better than Erik, the rascal. I’m afraid he’s doomed to be a novice forever. Very well, let’s get to it!”

Giving forth with her low chuckle at the 'turn' of mentor and student, Malla prepared to teach Naden how to foil the move Dauron had showed them. "Don't worry," she grinned, "Erik will 'get' it - eventually!" she added, and then got down to serious work.
They practiced a bit with their swords, tossing teasing banter back and forth as they’d always done- and when they were finished, Naden complimented her heartily.

Shrugging, but with a twinkle of amusement in her eye, "It's your 'fault', you know… for teaching me so well!" she told him, and then leaned on the Flying Gull's railing to relax for a while… eventually going to join Captain Mindaril at the Wheel of his ship, listening to his sailing-advice, and wondering about some ships in the distance. It was pleasant to chat with him, Malla thought, as Dauron continued to talk.
"Yes, we will need to stock up but I can leave that to Bernor and Elgar. They know the routine and will know what to get. We, on the other hand, can go for dinner, as soon as we round up Naden, Gareth and Nell," he explained. Following her look down the length of the harbour, he noted the ships she was asking about. "And yes, they are fishing vessels. Do you see the double rigs and the high central cabins? That's the first thing one looks for to identify them. Notice how high my rigs are? Good, and a very good observation. You say you've never been around ships before, eh?" He took her arm in his hand, and said, "Let's go find everyone. I'm starved .. and if I am, can you imagine how Naden must be feeling about now?"

As so often, the corner of Malla's lip twitched. "As if he could eat the whole of two bears, I suspect!" she chuckled, knowing well the over-tall Ranger's appetite.
When the group was together, Dauron spoke authoratively. "We are going to the White Feather for dinner, my friends. Elgar is busy with provisions, and Thorongil's fleet is already entering the harbor. This may be our last time on land for some time to come and I want to eat a good meal and drink a good tankard of ale before we head out to sea. Naden, I think Thorongil, or his representative will be able to find us there by just asking Bernor."

As they headed for Dauron's Inn-of-choice for the evening meal, Malla looked around Tol Falas keenly. She'd not been here before… and as in Dol Amroth, her ranger-senses were picking up any bit of information about the Island that might be of use in the future.

The crowded condition of the Inn only added 'weight' to the red-headed sea-captain's choice, and the young ranger grinned and raised her tankard in a toast to thank Dauron for making it. "The 'advantage' of living here on Tol Falas?" she teased, and found she was liking becoming friends with the Captain of the Flying Gull.

And, to further that, as they waited for Thorongil's fleet to arrive, "Is fishing a 'family' tradition, Dauron?" Malla inquired, and entered into a conversation on that subject that was quietly enjoyable…

“I would mind if you didn’t,” Nell said with a smile, and she gave his hip a bump, “I wouldn’t have anyone else. And I’m sure he’s already guessed, as well as you two know eachother… but I don’t think he’ll tell anyone his thoughts.”

Thrilled that Nell agreed with him on both counts, Gareth smiled widely when she 'nudged' him with her hip. - A 'habit', the half-elven fisherman knew, that he was coming to look forward to… on the times when she did.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in quiet enjoyment of each other's company. - And, though he thought about the possibilities of what could happen in Umbar, Gareth shoved them to the back of his mind. Though he wasn't full elf… he'd learned not to 'worry' about the 'what ifs', and to live in the moments that were 'now'.

When Dauron spoke of the 'White Feather' Inn as their dining-place, Gareth nodded at once. Smiling down at Nell, "You'll like it there, love," he told her, "It's got some of the best food in all of this part of Gondor." And, at seeing Naden's eyes light up at his words, Gareth couldn't help but laugh. "Never thought you'd have it so good after enduring that sea-storm, eh, Naden?" he teased.

But, as the five of them made their way to the Inn, it was with a quiet (but indescribably wonderful) feeling of joy that the half-elven fisherman walked with Nell on his arm. - Knowing in his heart, that one day, she'd be doing so as his *wife*.

Though he wasn't nearly as old as most of the full elves living in Middle Earth were, never before, in his very long life - had Gareth realized a part of himself was 'missing'… and never could he have imagined that Nell, herself, was the one who would make him 'whole'.
Dauron watched Gareth and Nell, his eyes twinkling with amusement, But whenever he caught Gareth's eyes, he winked and grinned, watching Gareth turn pink.

Although he knew his friend didn't 'say' anything, Gareth wished he wouldn't blush so at Dauron's 'knowing' winks, and he was rather glad when the Gull's captain became (mostly) absorbed in a conversation with Malla about the intricacies of fleet-fishing.

Yet, sometime after they'd all finished eating, they spotted Bernor in the doorway… and the laugh on Gareth's lips (at some teasing comment that Naden had made) faded away. "It looks like it's 'time'," he said, and a 'grimness' came into his sea-grey eyes. - For, never would he forget how Nell had been 'treated' there… albeit she in the guise of 'Niel'. - And, the simple fact that a woman had had to disguise herself at all was bothersome enough - without it being Nell. No woman should have to bear that worry! - of that, Gareth Silverlake was certain…

~@~@~@~

A heavy silence then fell as their meal and drinks were paid for, and the group headed back to the Flying Gull… and it was tightly that the half-elven fisherman held on to Nell's hand the whole way.

On every side of Dauron's ship, and in the dim light of the waning crescent moon, they could see the forty-five ships of Thorongil's fleet standing at anchor. All of them, as they'd been told, besides the foodstuffs, water, and weapons they held, were almost 'crammed' with soldiers from Gondor's army.

Onboard the 'Gull was the Ranger himself… tall, and his eyes betraying nothing as he solemnly greeted them. "Everyone else has their orders," he then said, and held up a rolled parchment he'd brought with him. "If we could speak in your Chart-room, Captain?" Thorongil inquired of Dauron, and was soon that the (now) six of them were gathered within… every lantern lit to give them the best light possible.

Unrolling it on the wide table Dauron used for his own, they found a map outlining Thorongil's battle plans, and the Ranger then proceeded to fill them all in.

"Our first task," he explained, and pointed to the mouth of Umbar's bay, "Is to take out their watch-towers. I know we've less ships than they have," Thorongil added, but Gareth could see the Ranger wasn't letting that fact 'daunt' his determination to succeed. "So 'surprise' has to be our advantage."

Continuing, Thorongil explained that four ships from his fleet - two for each tower, would ferry their complements of soldiers onto Umbar's coast to handle that part of his plan - with it commencing as soon as full darkness would arrive. "It will be low-tide, I know," he added, and then, "I've been told," and he looked at both Dauron and Gareth for 'confirmation', "that it's best to enter the bay at high tide…" at which both captains were in agreement. "So that will give the men enough time to ensure the warning fires can't be lit."

And then, "Not until confirmation of their success will we proceed further," Thorongil stated firmly, "But when we do…" the Ranger met Captain Mindaril's eyes in a steady gaze. "What I want, is for the Flying Gull to lead the way in through the strait. Even with it being the New Moon, when you get close enough to the docks, you're likely to be seen. But," he stressed, "the sight of a fishing ship… and no sign of the Watch-fires being lit, should allay any suspicion they might have. Your ship, Captain, may be larger than Captain Silverlake's," and he paused to glance at Gareth before returning his attention to Dauron. "But it's clearly not the same shape as the Elanor V, so the Umbarians will have no reason to suspect the same 'people' are returning to their shores."

"We'll give you a half-hour," Thorongil went on, "and except for leaving six ships at the bay's mouth to catch any Corsairs that might try to escape, the bulk of the fleet will follow. We will then attack the Corsairs, and as many of their support ships as we can get to with our number, using boarding-parties to overwhelm them, and then set the ships on fire. The signal that the attack has been successful will be three banners bearing the White Tree flown horizontally from the Gull's mainmast," and then taking out three folded sections of cloth from the pack at his side, handed them to Dauron.

"No one is 'expecting' you to endanger your ship any further than what I've described, Captain," Thorongil finished, "but, of course, every hand that can wield a sword will be appreciated."

"Are there any questions?" he then asked, meeting everyone in the room's gaze. "I'd like to get underweigh within the hour…"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 14, 2006 12:36
The five were enjoying their meal at the White Feather. Known for its fine food, it was living up to its reputation. Toasts were raised and drunk and Naden was in 'food heaven'. Dauron, sitting next to Malla, was having an almost quiet conversation amid the noise around them.

"Is fishing a 'family' tradition, Dauron?" Malla inquired.

"As far back as I can recall. My father owns a fleet of fishing vessels, which is where I learned my lessons. Several years ago, I had the 'Flying Gull' built for me to my specifications. It is of course a fishing vessel first and foremost, but it is, as you saw, outfitted to be a passenger one as well. I no longer work for my father, who is fine without me, though he probably has never forgiven me from taking his best first mate, Bernor," he laughed. "Some of the fishing vessels I pointed out to you earlier belong to my father and we all dock at his docks. Saves me docking fees," he chuckled.

Yet, sometime after they'd all finished eating, they spotted Bernor in the doorway… and the laugh on Gareth's lips (at some teasing comment that Naden had made) faded away. "It looks like it's 'time'," he said, and a 'grimness' came into his sea-grey eyes.

Bernor came up and whispered something in Dauron's ear, and he nodded, glancing at Gareth, his look alone confirming Gareth's comment. He rose, catching their server and stuffing a handful of coins in her hand, and nodding to his compatriots, they all headed back to the 'Gull'.

Onboard the 'Gull was the Ranger himself… tall, and his eyes betraying nothing as he solemnly greeted them. "Everyone else has their orders," he then said, and held up a rolled parchment he'd brought with him. "If we could speak in your Chart-room, Captain?" Thorongil inquired of Dauron, and was soon that the (now) six of them were gathered within… every lantern lit to give them the best light possible.

Unrolling it on the wide table Dauron used for his own, they found a map outlining Thorongil's battle plans, and the Ranger then proceeded to fill them all in.

"Our first task," he explained, and pointed to the mouth of Umbar's bay, "Is to take out their watch-towers. I know we've less ships than they have," Thorongil added, but Gareth could see the Ranger wasn't letting that fact 'daunt' his determination to succeed. "So 'surprise' has to be our advantage."

Continuing, Thorongil explained that four ships from his fleet - two for each tower, would ferry their complements of soldiers onto Umbar's coast to handle that part of his plan - with it commencing as soon as full darkness would arrive. "It will be low-tide, I know," he added, and then, "I've been told," and he looked at both Dauron and Gareth for 'confirmation', "that it's best to enter the bay at high tide…" at which both captains were in agreement. "So that will give the men enough time to ensure the warning fires can't be lit."

And then, "Not until confirmation of their success will we proceed further," Thorongil stated firmly, "But when we do…" the Ranger met Captain Mindaril's eyes in a steady gaze. "What I want, is for the Flying Gull to lead the way in through the strait. Even with it being the New Moon, when you get close enough to the docks, you're likely to be seen. But," he stressed, "the sight of a fishing ship… and no sign of the Watch-fires being lit, should allay any suspicion they might have. Your ship, Captain, may be larger than Captain Silverlake's," and he paused to glance at Gareth before returning his attention to Dauron. "But it's clearly not the same shape as the Elanor V, so the Umbarians will have no reason to suspect the same 'people' are returning to their shores."

"We'll give you a half-hour," Thorongil went on, "and except for leaving six ships at the bay's mouth to catch any Corsairs that might try to escape, the bulk of the fleet will follow. We will then attack the Corsairs, and as many of their support ships as we can get to with our number, using boarding-parties to overwhelm them, and then set the ships on fire. The signal that the attack has been successful will be three banners bearing the White Tree flown horizontally from the Gull's mainmast," and then taking out three folded sections of cloth from the pack at his side, handed them to Dauron.

"No one is 'expecting' you to endanger your ship any further than what I've described, Captain," Thorongil finished, "but, of course, every hand that can wield a sword will be appreciated."

"Are there any questions?" he then asked, meeting everyone in the room's gaze. "I'd like to get underweigh within the hour…"

Dauron took the folded banners under his arm, and shook hands with Thorongil. "I see no reason why we cannot follow your orders to the last, sir. And if there is any way we can help further, my men, and these people here," he waved to Gareth, Nell, Naden and Malla, "are prepared to do so. We are ready to leave when you wish and your timing is good. The tide will be with us and the winds fare well to be as well." Dauron walked Thorongil to the gangplank, shaking his hand again and watching him as he disappeared into the night. Turning, he found the other four right behind him. His face was stern, but his humor surfaced.

"Naden, looks like that might have been your last good meal for a while. I hope you enjoyed it," he said with a sudden grin. Clapping the tall Ranger on the shoulder, he told the others, "get whatever gear and weapons you need and I'll have Bernor and the crew get started preparing to weigh anchor."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 20, 2006 07:36
Nell could only grin at the jokes about Naden's appetite, as he did, and while they shared dinner at The White Feather, she was able to forget her fears and worries. It was enough to have Gareth there beside her, to feel him squeezing her hand under the table or leaning over to kiss her cheek.

Naden took full advantage of the situation and had three helpings- as always- waving off the teasing and coming back with jokes of his own while eating.

Yet, sometime after they'd all finished eating, they spotted Bernor in the doorway… and the laugh on Gareth's lips (at some teasing comment that Naden had made) faded away. "It looks like it's 'time'," he said, and a 'grimness' came into his sea-grey eyes.
Bernor came up and whispered something in Dauron's ear, and he nodded, glancing at Gareth, his look alone confirming Gareth's comment. He rose, catching their server and stuffing a handful of coins in her hand, and nodding to his compatriots, they all headed back to the 'Gull'.

Nell was silent as they headed back for the ship, the mirth that had been present only minutes before now having faded away. She watched her friends, wondering what they were thinking, and kept her arm in Gareth's.

Nell, again, was silent, listening carefully to what the tall ranger said. Naden looked thoughtful and attentive, nodding slowly at points in his captain's speaking. But he didn't speak, instead going over the plan in his mind and musing over the different possible outcomes.

Dauron took the folded banners under his arm, and shook hands with Thorongil. "I see no reason why we cannot follow your orders to the last, sir. And if there is any way we can help further, my men, and these people here," he waved to Gareth, Nell, Naden and Malla, "are prepared to do so. We are ready to leave when you wish and your timing is good. The tide will be with us and the winds fare well to be as well." Dauron walked Thorongil to the gangplank, shaking his hand again and watching him as he disappeared into the night. Turning, he found the other four right behind him. His face was stern, but his humor surfaced.

"Naden, looks like that might have been your last good meal for a while. I hope you enjoyed it," he said with a sudden grin. Clapping the tall Ranger on the shoulder, he told the others, "get whatever gear and weapons you need and I'll have Bernor and the crew get started preparing to weigh anchor."

"Oh, I enjoyed it," Naden said with a wide smile, "You prove again that you have excellent taste in eating establishments."
He then sighed a bit and shook his head, looking up at the sky.
"We take another gamble," he said, the smile still in place as he turned to meet his red-headed friend's gaze, "Before all, I must say thank-you, Dauron. Here's hoping this affair ends as planned."

Nell, meanwhile, had already taken Gareth aside. She couldn't think of anything to say- all of her own 'gear' was down in her cabin, which was only the sword. She was feeling anxious, though not outright afraid, so finally she just sighed and wrapped him in a hug, burying her face in his chest.

(hope this is ok... I know its not much, but its all I can think of *hides* )
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 05:06
(( Okay - I know this isn't the 'best', but it gets us underway, at least. ))

"Oh, I enjoyed it," Naden said with a wide smile, "You prove again that you have excellent taste in eating establishments."
He then sighed a bit and shook his head, looking up at the sky.
"We take another gamble," he said, the smile still in place as he turned to meet his red-headed friend's gaze, "Before all, I must say thank-you, Dauron. Here's hoping this affair ends as planned."

Nell, meanwhile, had already taken Gareth aside. She couldn't think of anything to say- all of her own 'gear' was down in her cabin, which was only the sword. She was feeling anxious, though not outright afraid, so finally she just sighed and wrapped him in a hug, burying her face in his chest.

Barely listening to the others, Gareth's attention was wholly on Nell. Holding her tightly, he kissed the top of her head. "Let's go get your sword… shall we?" he asked softly, and kept his arm around her as they headed below.

Waiting in the corridor whilst she fetched it, when his dearest (secretly) betrothed came back out, Gareth unsheathed his own weapon and holding it across his chest, gazed into her eyes. The expression in his face and eyes was one of determination, trust in them both, love for Nell, - and… not a small bit of 'challenge'. "Will you fight at my side, Nell Reedsman?" he asked, a slight smile curling his lips. "Come what may… it is my joy to be at yours!" the half-elf went on, and leaned down to give his beloved a deep, and loving kiss.

As soon as Thorongil left the Flying Gull, Malla headed down to the cabin that Dauron had assigned her. After replaiting her hair into a tight braid, the woman ranger buckled on her sword, resettled her knives in their sheaths, and grabbed her bow before striding purposefully back to the upper deck, nodding briefly as she passed Captain Silverlake and Miss Reedsman in the corridor.

Upon reaching topside, she then placed herself where she could watch the 'Gull's red-haired Captain readying his ship for departure… or… remembering the term, 'weighing anchor'. As soon as the sails were furled, and seeing those of Thorongil's fleet beginning to move off, Malla went to stand by the Wheel. Glancing up at him, "How long will it take to reach Umbar?" she inquired. - And, seriously, "You are quite generous to brave your fine ship in this venture, Captain… and I hope it will come out unscathed from this fight."

With a 'twitch' in the corner of her mouth, "Care for a partner, Captain Minardil?" the woman ranger asked. "It's always good to have someone skilled fighting in 'tandem'… I cover your back - you mine. Agreed?"

[Edited on 1/3/2006 by gwendeth]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 06:27
Dauron tucked the banners Thorongil had presented him with under a small storage area behind the wheel. He was feeling many things right at the moment; excitement, nervousness, anticipation, and wondering if he had not perhaps taken on more than he could chew. Well, it was too late to turn back now. He was leading an entire flotilla southwards towards Umbar, though they were further back in the darkness of the night.

As he stood by the wheel, the young Ranger Malla strolled over to stand near him.

Glancing up at him, "How long will it take to reach Umbar?" she inquired. - And, seriously, "You are quite generous to brave your fine ship in this venture, Captain… and I hope it will come out unscathed from this fight."

With a 'twitch' in the corner of her mouth, "Care for a partner, Captain Minardil?" the woman ranger asked. "It's always good to have someone skilled fighting in 'tandem'… I cover your back - you mine. Agreed?"

Smiling down at her, he tried to answer as accurately as he could. "It will take at least 2 days if the wind and the tides favor us though I am counting on arriving at the Umbarion harbor about this time on the third night." His face turned stern when she commented on his generosity. "I listened to my father's tales my entire life about our Minardil ancestor who was slain by the Corsairs of Umbar. I never really took it in until Naden had persuaded Gareth and I to accompany him on our previous trip to Umbar. That is where we found Nell, enslaved by a worm of a tavern owner. That's where we saw an earlier version of the Elanor, beached like a dead whale, with nothing but the bones of it's beautiful lines left. I have reasons to offer my ship, and my self to this cause." Then he smiled, "and if I have anything to say about it, my ship will outrun any Corsair they can send after me." Her comment about a partner amused him enormously and his jovial laugh rang across the deck.

"You are very small to cover my back, m'lady, but I can certainly cover yours...and will should the need arise. But we have much time before we need worry about that."

The eight bells rang at midnight and Bernor took over from his Captain. Dauron looked at Malla, who was still at his side. "Why don't we have something warm to drink before we take our rest?" The went down to the galley where Elgar had left a pot of cider simmering on the back of the stove. Dipping a ladle into the pot, he poured two mugs of the warm brew, handing one to Malla and then sitting at the table, stretching out his long legs, sipping from the mug as he looked at the young Ranger.

"What puzzles me is why you would have agreed to come on this venture. Surely you could have asked not to. Why?"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 07:49
Barely listening to the others, Gareth's attention was wholly on Nell. Holding her tightly, he kissed the top of her head. "Let's go get your sword… shall we?" he asked softly, and kept his arm around her as they headed below.

Waiting in the corridor whilst she fetched it, when his dearest (secretly) betrothed came back out, Gareth unsheathed his own weapon and holding it across his chest, gazed into her eyes. The expression in his face and eyes was one of determination, trust in them both, love for Nell, - and… not a small bit of 'challenge'. "Will you fight at my side, Nell Reedsman?" he asked, a slight smile curling his lips. "Come what may… it is my joy to be at yours!" the half-elf went on, and leaned down to give his beloved a deep, and loving kiss.

Nell returned his kiss with all the love in her heart, raising her hand to caress his cheek as she did so. When the kiss ended she raised her own sword, smiling softly up at him.
“Of course I will, Captain Silverlake,” she said, “And the honor is mine to be at your side.”
Returning the sword to its place at her hip she slipped her arms over his shoulders, drawing him down for another deep kiss, willing herself- for the moment- to forget about the danger ahead… and it wasn’t difficult with the sensations that her love’s kiss sent sweeping through her. In fact, she almost forgot that they were standing right in the hallway… but she pulled away when she heard Malla’s cabin door open, and hoped she wasn’t blushing too noticeably when the woman-ranger passed them. After the other woman had disappeared topside, Nell smiled sheepishly up at her future-husband, trying to still the racing of her heart.
“Maybe we should practice with our swords a bit, Gareth,” she said, “I want to be ready when the time comes…”

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Naden had taken himself to his cabin, mainly just to have silence and time to think. He was seated on the bunk, holding his hunting knife and fingering it, looking at it.. but his thoughts were elsewhere. He couldn’t help but be concerned- even worried- for his friends. He hadn’t intended on drawing them into this- but here they were, nonetheless. Thorongil’s plan was well thought out, and he didn’t doubt that they’d have success… but what would be the cost of that success? He didn’t like to think on it.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 06:34
Smiling down at her, he tried to answer as accurately as he could. "It will take at least 2 days if the wind and the tides favor us though I am counting on arriving at the Umbarion harbor about this time on the third night." His face turned stern when she commented on his generosity. "I listened to my father's tales my entire life about our Minardil ancestor who was slain by the Corsairs of Umbar. I never really took it in until Naden had persuaded Gareth and I to accompany him on our previous trip to Umbar. That is where we found Nell, enslaved by a worm of a tavern owner. That's where we saw an earlier version of the Elanor, beached like a dead whale, with nothing but the bones of it's beautiful lines left. I have reasons to offer my ship, and my self to this cause." Then he smiled, "and if I have anything to say about it, my ship will outrun any Corsair they can send after me." Her comment about a partner amused him enormously and his jovial laugh rang across the deck.

"You are very small to cover my back, m'lady, but I can certainly cover yours...and will should the need arise. But we have much time before we need worry about that."

"Ah!" Malla shook her head, and the corner of her lip twitched. "Perhaps I was 'too easy' on you in our practice!" she teasingly retorted. "If I can cover Naden's back, I can cover yours!"
The eight bells rang at midnight and Bernor took over from his Captain. Dauron looked at Malla, who was still at his side. "Why don't we have something warm to drink before we take our rest?" The went down to the galley where Elgar had left a pot of cider simmering on the back of the stove. Dipping a ladle into the pot, he poured two mugs of the warm brew, handing one to Malla and then sitting at the table, stretching out his long legs, sipping from the mug as he looked at the young Ranger.

"What puzzles me is why you would have agreed to come on this venture. Surely you could have asked not to. Why?"

Looking across the table seriously at the red-haired Sea-captain, "I could have," the woman ranger answered, "But it's rare to do so," Malla explained. "Rangers go, and do what we're told; Thorongil's aims are always for the betterment of Gondor," she added, "and it's not often he's 'mistaken' about who he chooses to send where," and then thoughtfully took a sip of her drink.

"Actually," the woman ranger went on, "there are rangers on as many ships as Thorongil could manage. - Though, one or two of us *did* have to 'decline' due to being seasick while the warships were merely at anchor," and Malla's smoky-grey eyes twinkled in amusement. "It's not that he doesn't 'trust' the sailors, though," she added quickly, "but every hand that can wield a sword will be needed."

Swirling the liquid around in her cup, Malla grinned. "Besides, it never hurts to learn new things, to see parts of Middle Earth one has never seen, or to meet new people," the young woman commented, and looking away, wondered why a slight blush crept into her cheeks.

Clearing her throat, "Most of us… what do you call us… 'landlubbers'?" Malla chuckled, "Most of us don't know one fish from another, except by taste or price. - And, just 'why' certain kinds are more expensive than others."

Eyeing Captain Minardil keenly, "I've heard that while Tol Falas has a larger port, and you've shown me the fishing-fleets that bears that out. - Yet, I understand that the catches from Dol Amroth are more highly prized. Could you explain that to me?" Malla asked, her color again 'even', but the woman ranger was enjoying her chat with the Flying Gull's Captain…

Nell returned his kiss with all the love in her heart, raising her hand to caress his cheek as she did so. When the kiss ended she raised her own sword, smiling softly up at him.
“Of course I will, Captain Silverlake,” she said, “And the honor is mine to be at your side.”
Returning the sword to its place at her hip she slipped her arms over his shoulders, drawing him down for another deep kiss, … but she pulled away when she heard Malla’s cabin door open, and hoped she wasn’t blushing too noticeably when the woman-ranger passed them. After the other woman had disappeared topside, Nell smiled sheepishly up at her future-husband, trying to still the racing of her heart.
“Maybe we should practice with our swords a bit, Gareth,” she said, “I want to be ready when the time comes…”

Breathless from their kisses, Gareth's cheeks were burning, too, when the woman ranger slipped by them. His lips curled into a smile though, and he nodded. "I'd like that," he answered softly, but before heading topside, the half-elven fisherman gave his beloved Nell another deeply tender kiss. "I love you, Nell!" he whispered, and with his arm around her shoulders, took them both down the corridor and on to the 'Gull's upper deck.

Naden wasn't there, Gareth noticed, nor were either Dauron or Malla. But, nodding pleasantly to Bernor at the Wheel, he led Nell to an open space on the deck. Glancing around keenly, he noted that between the waning moon's light, and the lanterns that were lit, they had plenty of light.

Unsheathing his sword, he grinned, and gave her a deep bow. "Are you ready, milady Reedsman?" he teasingly inquired, and raised his weapon defensively to meet Nell's… the two blades meeting with a sharp 'clang' that echoed throughout the night air…
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 11:25
Eyeing Captain Minardil keenly, "I've heard that while Tol Falas has a larger port, and you've shown me the fishing-fleets that bears that out. - Yet, I understand that the catches from Dol Amroth are more highly prized. Could you explain that to me?" Malla asked, her color again 'even', but the woman ranger was enjoying her chat with the Flying Gull's Captain…

Dauron's mirthful laughter rang through the galley. "They are more highly prized, m'lady, because it takes them twice as long to catch them." Dauron had not felt as light-hearted and merry in a long time. Whoever or whatever this Ranger woman was, she was companionable and he was enjoying her company. A shadow of Calwyn crossed his mind and he realized he had never felt as comfortable with her as he did with Malla. The Ranger was a joy to spend time with. But the hour was growing late, and he knew he would need to rise early.

"Well, my dear lady, I must needs get some rest. We have some hairy days ahead. Will you allow me to walk you to your cabin before I head for my own?" He took her hand in his as gently pulled her to her feet, where he stopped and looked into her gray-green eyes. Something..he did not know what..mesmerized him for a long moment and he smiled softly, then the moment ended and he released her hand and turned towards the passageway. When they reached her cabin door, he bowed his head politely. "Good night, Malla. I will see you in the morning. Come topside when you are ready and I'll teach you how to steer this ship of mine." He was about to turn away when he hesitated. He had the oddest urge to ... Shaking his head slightly, he smiled and turned abruptly and reached the safety of his cabin. Closing the door behind him, he stood with his back against it, thinking about that urge....the urge to kiss the woman. What was he thinking? Shaking his head again, he undressed and climbed into his bunk, falling almost instantly to sleep.

The next day was a long one. The weather was skittish....clouds raced by overhead and spurts of rain fell now and again. The wind however was very much in their favor and Dauron watched the swells and was comforted that his plan to sail into the Umbarian harbor on the third night was on target. Looking over his shoulder, he could see in the far distance behind him the flotilla of ships under Thorongil's command.

His companions were on deck on and off throughout the day, though the weather was raw and windy. There was about the crew and the people on board the ship an anticipation yet an anxiousness at the same time. This was not just another fishing trip. And his crew had spoken to Gareth's crew upon their return from Umbar and knew what they were facing. Yet there was also a feeling of wild excitement among them, as none had ever been in any real battle before. But for the moment they had enough to compete with dealing with the weather.

The second day out, the weather had cleared some, though there was a portent for more weather to come. Still they made good time as the winds supported their trip southward. In fact so much so that Dauron lowered many of the great sails, as he was in danger of arriving too soon. He spent as much free time as it was possible to do with Naden, Malla, Gareth and Nell, discussing possible approaches, reactions of the Umbarians, assaults and counter-assaults. In the back of Dauron's mind, he could not rid himself of the thought of Nell when they had first found her. Her only saving grace had been her small frame that had allowed her to pass herself off as a boy. But Malla was tall, and very much a woman. What would they do to her were she to be captured? What would they do to either of the women, for Nell was now obviously female, with her love for Gareth softening her features into the woman she had become. The thought of either one falling into the hands of the Umbarians terrified Dauron. He participated whenever time permitted in sparring practice with the rangers. He had their onboard smithy to work sharpening all the blades of the crewmembers swords, knives and daggers, as well as his own and his companions.

Thorongil had suggested they lead the way for the ships behind and then get out of the way if he wanted to. Well, that was a lovely thought but with the harbor jammed with boats behind him blocking his way, that was highly unlikely, even though his vessel was smaller and sleeker than Thorongil's, and he realized they would be in the thick of things whether they wanted to be or not. He stood at the bow, watching the waves passing under the keel, his mind weighing possibilities. Suddenly, a thought crossed his mind, and he turned, running below deck, to find his second mate.

"Harman, I have a job for you and as many crewmembers as you need." He spent only enough time to explain what he wanted, and then told Harman to get on it right away. When the second mate saluted and disappeared further down in the bowels of the ship, Dauron stood thinking. 'Yes, it might work,' he thought. Striding back on deck, he stood in the hatchway, his coppery hair blowing across his face, watching the sun setting to his right. One more day, he thought, and within less than 30 hours, they would be at the mouth of the Umbarian bay. He looked at the sky, judged the coming weather, and crossed his fingers. He scented in the air a change. Warm air was beginning to flow from the southwest which would bring clouds, but little rain. He would welcome a cloudy night.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 09:44
Unsheathing his sword, he grinned, and gave her a deep bow. "Are you ready, milady Reedsman?" he teasingly inquired, and raised his weapon defensively to meet Nell's… the two blades meeting with a sharp 'clang' that echoed throughout the night air…

Nell’s sword technique was mainly touch-and-go… she’d never been trained with a weapon, but had only tried to copy what she’d seen. She held her own in the fight with Gareth, though- grinning when she was able to easily duck under his swings because of her height, and nudging him playfully whenever she came out on top. Even so, her love showed her things she was doing wrong, and… after nearly two hours of practicing, Nell bade him goodnight and took herself to her cabin. She couldn’t help but think about her betrothed, and wonder if they’d both come out of this affair alive… and (blushingly to herself) how long it would be before they were wed, and able to share a bed.

The two days that followed were spent in battle-practice, of course, and meeting with Dauron, Naden and Malla to discuss the possibilities of Umbar—different approaches and attacks, and other matters dealing with the danger ahead. The few times that Nell was left to herself she would find herself thinking anxiously of the corsair haven and how it had looked when she’d first arrived there… and after finding herself growing unsettled at the thought of returning she’d seek out Gareth and take comfort in his embrace. Most of the hours were passed in his company, where Nell felt safest. There were still things to learn about eachother, and they talked about this and that… trivial matters, really, compared with what they were to face… but she didn’t complain. It got her mind of her worries.

Naden spent the time mostly to himself, though he was always eager to meet with his friends and talk about what awaited them. He did enjoy the sparring matches with Dauron and Gareth- mostly because it was a chance to tease them. Their skill with their blades couldn’t be faulted, though, and he was inwardly thankful for that. When they shared meals there was the ever-present banter between them all, but the undercurrent of anxiety and danger was enough to keep the tall ranger from feeling particularly jovial. Many of the crewmen were somber in their work, and Naden couldn’t blame them… it wasn’t that he felt ‘hopeless’ about the situation. He was certain that Thorongil’s plan would succeed- what was bothering him was the possible cost for that success. He’d never had many friends in his lifetime, other than a few rangers he’d trained or traveled with, and now that he had this mixed bunch- Dauron, Gareth, Nell and Malla- he found himself frightened at the prospect of losing them.

On the third evening of travel Nell couldn’t find the energy or motivation to bring out her sword, so she simply stood at the railing and watched the waters rolling by. Gareth had gone off to find Dauron or Naden for some reason or another, and she’d been by herself for a few minutes. It wouldn’t be long, she knew, before they reached the Umbarian port. Now that they were coming closer to it she could no longer deny to herself that she was afraid, because she was. It wasn’t as if she didn’t have a good reason; there was the chance of her friends being slain, of herself being captured yet again, or- worst of all- her beloved Gareth being killed. He’d only just come into her life, bringing salvation with him and capturing her heart… she knew she couldn’t handle having him taken away again.
He was suddenly beside her. So caught up in her thoughts she’d been that she hadn’t noticed him. Smiling wanly, she hugged him and rested her head against his chest, not wanting to burden him with her fears, and only seeking comfort in the circle of his strong arms.

The night’s passing was agonizingly slow for Naden. He’d consulted Dauron and found that the next day would be the last of travel. He went to bed early and with only a small bit of supper, finding it- as was so rare for him- difficult to eat. His sleep was deep and undisturbed, but Nell’s was full of terrible visions. More than once she woke from dreams of Gareth being hurt or killed, or of herself being taken back into captivity. She even dreamed of the ‘Gull on fire and sinking, all those onboard scrambling for safety but never making it. Not once did she consider bothering her future husband with her nightmares… that’s all they were, after all. Just dreams.

She slept late the next morning, finally giving in to fatigue and sleeping dreamlessly. Naden, however grumpy, was up with the sun. The sky was clouded and the sun’s light was pale and sickly as it rose. The tall ranger went to locate Dauron, to ask if he was right in his guess about how much longer they had… his mind on the coming night instead of breakfast.

(hope this works!)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 12:35
More and more as the Flying Gull drew nearer to Umbar, Malla could feel the tension onboard Capt. Minardil's ship growing. More than once, she, or Naden had been asked for 'pointers' in sword-play by crewmen who rarely had need of using any weapon other than a knife for gutting fish. - Yet, calmly, as was her way, the woman ranger taught, and practiced with those who wished it. - Though, she derived the most (inner) enjoyment from sparring with the red-headed Master of the fishing-vessel… with words, as well as with their weapons.

But, she was finding it so… and, particularly, the evenings of quiet chat with Captain Dauron was something Malla was looking forward to. - And, though she was growing fond of the bearded fisherman, such was the young woman's view of 'life', and herself, that nothing other than having made a good friend in him (and Nell and Gareth) entered Malla's mind…

For Gareth, the time passed both 'quickly', and 'slowly'. Every spare minute he had was spent at Nell's side… practicing, or talking with his new beloved as they continued getting to know each other. - And, the more he learned, the more the half-elven fisherman was sure he wanted to be nowhere else than at this incredible young woman's side…
On the third evening of travel Nell couldn’t find the energy or motivation to bring out her sword, so she simply stood at the railing and watched the waters rolling by. Gareth had gone off to find Dauron or Naden for some reason or another, and she’d been by herself for a few minutes He was suddenly beside her. So caught up in her thoughts she’d been that she hadn’t noticed him. Smiling wanly, she hugged him and rested her head against his chest, not wanting to burden him with her fears, and only seeking comfort in the circle of his strong arms.

Seeing Nell's small smile, and the way she embraced him, Gareth's half-elven senses picked up her uneasiness, and gently, Gareth tightened his embrace, and rested his chin on her head for a long moment.

Loosing her a little so he could gaze into his secretly-betrothed love's eyes, Gareth Silverlake smiled. "Do you know how beautiful I find you, Nell Reedsman?" he asked softly. "Do you know how much I admire you? - Your courage… your bravery… how you endured your captivity the way you did?"

Tracing the line of Nell's chin with light fingers, he went on, "I have none of the elven 'gifts', as some people all them," said the Captain of the Elanor V; "No 'foresight'… and I can't know what will happen in this battle. - But, I *do* know this: I've never been happier than I am right now, Nell! - And… if you were to be captured again… I would die trying to bring you back again… you know that - don't you?"

After giving his love a long, and tender kiss, "Don't fret, love," Gareth said softly, "just trust in us! - Please?"

~@~@~@~

Gareth didn't leave Nell's side after that… through dinner, and the long night that brought them to Umbar's coast… standing with her at the rail, or sitting on a bench at the stern of Dauron's ship.

As the sun rose, and though he'd dozed some with Nell's head pillowed on his shoulder, when Dauron (at his ship's Wheel) called for Bernor to lower the anchor, the half-elven fisherman looked up. By his old friend's side was Naden, and Malla, and they were all peering off into the distance.

"We're here love," Gareth gently nudged Nell awake. "Now we just wait for tonight's tide to go in," he added softly, and kissed her lips. "Let's join the others - shall we?"
And, though the day was long, and tense, and everyone tried to relax, or rest, it was few who could. Early in the afternoon, Thorongil was rowed over to the 'Gull from his own ship, for a last run-through of events, and to ensure there were no changes needed anywhere.

After which, the Ranger left them alone. - Alone, to 'fret' as the sun all-too-slowly lowered in the sky… until dark shadows 'flitting' by across the water bore testimony to the men heading to the Umbarian coast… and, at nearly midnight, when the signal was given that the Watchtowers were under Gondorian control.

Malla, standing next to Naden, glanced up at her tall mentor. "It's a good thing you 'bumped into' these people," she commented quietly, as they watched Dauron once more getting his ship under way to move into the harbor… and to whatever 'fate' might have in store for them all.

Gareth watched, too, and with his arm around Nell's shoulders, squeezed her close to his side. "Together!" he whispered, and smiled grimly.

[Edited on 17/3/2006 by gwendeth]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 24, 2006 12:15
The sun had set and everyone onboard was fed in shifts by Elgar. Dauron went from man to man, speaking quietly with each of them, patting them on the shoulder or shaking their hand. As he had predicted the sky was clouded over, not a star shone. The later it got, the more inky black the darkness became. He had moved the ship to the ocean side of the peninsula that stretched out from the northern side of the bay. As the hour of midnight neared, the tide turned and began pouring back into the bay. The time was now. Using a candle and a mirror, he sent the signal to Thorongil's fleet behind him that he was moving now.

Dauron took the wheel, the anchor was pulled, the sails set. Dauron tested the wind and noted that it was blowing from the right direction to sail them into the bay with only the main sail and the jib. The ship slowly began moving to the edge of the peninsula where they would turn to the east and into the bay. As the turn was made, he could see the lights of Umbar away in the distance. The ship slid through the water almost silently. Glancing over his shoulder, he could barely see the shadows of the ships behind him in the deep darkness of the night. Looking to the right and the left, hoping that Thorongil's men had taken control of the guard towers, he watched for any sign of light from either one. When none appeared, he sighed with relief.

"Bernor, bring Harman hear," he whispered, not wanting his voice to carry over the quietness of the waters. Bernor quickly ran off, returning with Harman at his side. "Harman, are you ready? Are your chosen men ready as well?"

"They are by the hatchway, sir, and the men are ready at your call." Dauron ordered him to wait for the call and to return to his men. Glancing at his small group of friends, he asked them to come closer. When Gareth, Nell, Naden and Malla were close, he continued to whisper to them what his plan was.

"Harman and a few chosen men have put together some interesting weapons. Naden, all those bottles of wine we've emptied may come to our advantage. Harman has filled the empty bottles with oil and sealed them with oil soaked cloths. If we are blocked from behind by Thorongil's men and ships, Harmen and his men will light these bottles and toss them at any Umbarian ship we manage to get close to. If we can diminish the size of their fleet, there will be less chance of a counter attack, and perhaps, just perhaps, we can get out of here in one piece." He looked at his friends, one at a time, taking in their expressions of commitment and defiance. "Know that I have never known such a fine group of friends. It is an honor to be here with you."

The ship glided closer and closer to the Umbarian docks and still there was no sign of the guard towers, though he noticed some increased activity on the docks themselves. There were men in groups pointing out at the sails that were quickly approaching the harbor and pointing at the same time towards the guard towers. There was obvious confusion among the Umbarians. But his ship being an obvious fishing vessel offered no threat. Thorongil's plan to null the affect of the watch towers seemed to be working as, although there was a lot of pointing going on, there was no rush to weapons on the part of the Corsair sailors. The 'Gull' was almost at the dock, turning to run along the sterns of the Corsair ships tied up and at anchor in their slips. Off the starboard side, Dauron kept careful watch for Thorongil's fleet not far behind him but bearing blackened sails so they would not stand out against the sky. He knew as soon as the first of the fleet was spotted, though, the confusion would end. As it was moments later, when the first of Thorongil's ships picked up the deflected light from the docks on the water. Then all peace on the dock ended.

"Harman," Dauron's voice called out across the deck. "Prepare to toss those bottles." Turning to his first mate, he ordered, "Bernor, take the wheel." As soon as he was free of the wheel, Dauron pulled his sword, noting that his friends had done the same, and not a moment too soon. The Corsair sailors onboard each of their ships had all realized the trap they were in and had pulled their own weapons. As the 'Gull' slipped past the stern of one of the anchored ships, men made the long jump from their own to the 'Gull'. Fighting broke out on the deck and Dauron yelled to Harman, "Now, Harman!" and Harman let loose the first of the fiery bottles, which landed on the timber deck of the Corsair ship, immediately bursting into flames. As the closed in on the stern of the next ship, Harman and another crewmember tossed two more bottles on this one, causing the deck to become a flaming peril for all onboard. The Corsair sailors split into two groups, one to attempt to quell the fire and the other to attack the 'Gull'. Several Corsair sailors were now on the deck, and he and his friends were involved in sword fights with as many as three at a time.

Dauron was grateful for the sparring they had done as it had brought his skills back to fighting level. He ducked a swinging sword by one man, lifting his blade into the man's exposed stomach. There was a break that allowed him to look over the deck, only to notice Malla being attacked by two sailors. Racing to her side, he swung around behind her, his back touching hers. Leaning over his shoulder, he grinned.

"Your back is covered, my lady. Just be sure you keep mine covered as well," he teased, and then confronted two more sailors in battle.

Throughout the next few hours, Bernor wheeled the ship as close as he could to the Corsair ships, one by one, Harman and his men tossed their deadly bottles on as many ships as they could reach, and Dauron and his friends fought whatever Umbarians that succeeded in boarding the deck of the 'Gull'. Finally, Harman yelled across the deck to Dauron. "We're out of bottles, sir." Dauron nodded and called back to pull their swords. Calling to his friends amidst the noise of clashing swords, he announced, "I think we've had enough fun for one evening. Time to leave." Pulling Malla with him, he slashed his way to the wheel, where Bernor hung onto the wheel though he sported a wicked slash on his shoulder that was bleeding badly. "Get below if you can and find Elgar. Tell him to set up a place to care for the wounded...and I want you to be the first one bandaged. I'll take the wheel and get us out of here."

Shoving Bernor in the direction of the hatchway, he pulled Malla to his side. "Keep those bloody pirates away from me, love," he said, not even aware of what he had just called her. "This is going to be tricky. Thorongil's fleet is between us and the open ocean." He shook his head and screamed to his men manning the sails. "Get 'em open and up....move fast." He began a dance with the other vessels, slipping this way and that between them, which turned out to be not as difficult as it might have been, given the sleek lines of the ship that was smaller than any of Thorongil's.

The sun was rising in the east as he sailed past the last of Thorongil's fleet and out past the opening of the bay into open waters. Glancing back over his shoulder, he saw the black smoke rising all along the length of the harbor and could just see Thorongil's men already on the dock, battling with the Umbarians. Turning the wheel to the north, he rounded the peninsula and the sights of slaughter and death behind him disappeared behind the dunes. He stayed at the wheel until they were well north of the spit of land and then pulling closer to shore, he ordered his men to lower the sails and drop anchor.

Then and only then did he notice the pain and the blood pouring from his side. He looked at Malla. "Are you alright, m'lady? Thank you....your back is broader than I thought," he said, grinning, then his legs gave out and he found himself sitting on the deck, the world swirling before his eyes.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 26, 2006 12:40
As the sun rose, and though he'd dozed some with Nell's head pillowed on his shoulder, when Dauron (at his ship's Wheel) called for Bernor to lower the anchor, the half-elven fisherman looked up. By his old friend's side was Naden, and Malla, and they were all peering off into the distance.

"We're here love," Gareth gently nudged Nell awake. "Now we just wait for tonight's tide to go in," he added softly, and kissed her lips. "Let's join the others - shall we?"
And, though the day was long, and tense, and everyone tried to relax, or rest, it was few who could. Early in the afternoon, Thorongil was rowed over to the 'Gull from his own ship, for a last run-through of events, and to ensure there were no changes needed anywhere.

After which, the Ranger left them alone. - Alone, to 'fret' as the sun all-too-slowly lowered in the sky… until dark shadows 'flitting' by across the water bore testimony to the men heading to the Umbarian coast… and, at nearly midnight, when the signal was given that the Watchtowers were under Gondorian control.

Malla, standing next to Naden, glanced up at her tall mentor. "It's a good thing you 'bumped into' these people," she commented quietly, as they watched Dauron once more getting his ship under way to move into the harbor

“It is, “ Naden agreed softly, a small grin tugging at the corner of his mouth- for, hadn’t he very literally ‘bumped’ into Gareth? And weary with his search he’d given up and decided to ask the fishermen he’d nearly plowed down for help… which had lead to his meeting Dauron, not to mention the others who had not stayed with them on their voyage. It had to have been more than luck that had brought him to Gareth and Dauron – more than that for himself, for Nell, and for Gondor… With that solemn smile in place- now hoping that whatever fate had brought them so far was still with them- he watched with Malla as they prepared to make their ‘move’...

The entire day had been too long and tense for Nell, but she hadn’t complained. She’d spent most of it in brooding silence, not wanting to break the heavy tension that seemed to hover over all. Now that they had come to it, so to speak, she just stood at Gareth’s side, fingering her sword and waiting as calmly as she could manage. She was still uneasy, but her fear had more or less subsided. Now there was only that discomfiture, and a determination to see it through… and to not let Gareth get hurt!

Gareth watched, too, and with his arm around Nell's shoulders, squeezed her close to his side. "Together!" he whispered, and smiled grimly.

She looked up at him, returning a smile at his reassurance and one-armed embrace. She wondered if he could never know just how much it meant to her, that whispered word.
“Together,” she repeated in the same tone,

Glancing at his small group of friends, he asked them to come closer. When Gareth, Nell, Naden and Malla were close, he continued to whisper to them what his plan was.

"Harman and a few chosen men have put together some interesting weapons. Naden, all those bottles of wine we've emptied may come to our advantage. Harman has filled the empty bottles with oil and sealed them with oil soaked cloths. If we are blocked from behind by Thorongil's men and ships, Harmen and his men will light these bottles and toss them at any Umbarian ship we manage to get close to. If we can diminish the size of their fleet, there will be less chance of a counter attack, and perhaps, just perhaps, we can get out of here in one piece." He looked at his friends, one at a time, taking in their expressions of commitment and defiance. "Know that I have never known such a fine group of friends. It is an honor to be here with you."

Naden nodded approvingly at the ‘interesting weapons’ that had been produced, his smile quirking at the ‘hope’ that the emptied bottles would be put to good use- but he appreciated the cleverness and practicality of the plan, glad to have something to their advantage other than swords. He himself had a bow, but he hadn’t practiced in a long while- and what good would a single bow be against armed men? No, he would be better with his sword… and flaming bottles.

Nell didn’t say anything, but she met Dauron’s gaze and nodded. A better group of friends she’d certainly never known either, and she felt blessed to have found them… or to have had them find her.

The ship glided closer and closer to the Umbarian docks and still there was no sign of the guard towers, though he noticed some increased activity on the docks themselves. There were men in groups pointing out at the sails that were quickly approaching the harbor and pointing at the same time towards the guard towers. There was obvious confusion among the Umbarians. But his ship being an obvious fishing vessel offered no threat. Thorongil's plan to null the affect of the watch towers seemed to be working as, although there was a lot of pointing going on, there was no rush to weapons on the part of the Corsair sailors. The 'Gull' was almost at the dock, turning to run along the sterns of the Corsair ships tied up and at anchor in their slips. Off the starboard side, Dauron kept careful watch for Thorongil's fleet not far behind him but bearing blackened sails so they would not stand out against the sky. He knew as soon as the first of the fleet was spotted, though, the confusion would end. As it was moments later, when the first of Thorongil's ships picked up the deflected light from the docks on the water. Then all peace on the dock ended.

"Harman," Dauron's voice called out across the deck. "Prepare to toss those bottles." Turning to his first mate, he ordered, "Bernor, take the wheel." As soon as he was free of the wheel, Dauron pulled his sword, noting that his friends had done the same, and not a moment too soon. The Corsair sailors onboard each of their ships had all realized the trap they were in and had pulled their own weapons. As the 'Gull' slipped past the stern of one of the anchored ships, men made the long jump from their own to the 'Gull'. Fighting broke out on the deck and Dauron yelled to Harman, "Now, Harman!" and Harman let loose the first of the fiery bottles, which landed on the timber deck of the Corsair ship, immediately bursting into flames. As the closed in on the stern of the next ship, Harman and another crewmember tossed two more bottles on this one, causing the deck to become a flaming peril for all onboard. The Corsair sailors split into two groups, one to attempt to quell the fire and the other to attack the 'Gull'. Several Corsair sailors were now on the deck, and he and his friends were involved in sword fights with as many as three at a time.

Naden had been standing with his sword drawn, waiting for the first of the bottles to be thrown when several men made the jump over onto the ‘Gull. Immediately he rushed into the fight, whipping his sword around and catching his first opponent right below the ear. That had been a ‘lucky’ shot- the next pirate who came for him was more careful, and he was joined by another, so the tall ranger found himself engaged in battle against two adversaries—not something he’d never done, but something he never liked doing- but he relied on his ranger-tuned senses to take over, and was holding his own. He dodged one blow and punched its deliverer in the face so hard that it hurt his knuckles, but felt the other’s blade glance off his back. Cursing, he shoved the first man roughly overboard and turned on the second…

Nell felt as though her heart was lodged in her throat when the first of the Umbarians boarded the ‘Gull, but she gripped her father’s sword tightly with both hands. Seeing the men coming over the railing in a rage reminded her all too clearly of when her father’s ship had been pirated, and for a split second she felt as if she were back in that time, watching the massacre that had taken place… but with a grim determination she blinked away the memory and tensed herself.

The battle came to them like a great crashing wave; all at once the young woman found herself swept into fighting, trying to ignore the leering faces on those who came for he, expecting a fight with a woman to be easy. Nell proved them wrong; as always, her technique with the sword wasn’t fluent or well-practiced- mostly a lot of hacking and jabbing- but it was effective nonetheless. Sparing one worried glance at Gareth when the first man fell dead at her feet- and seeing him caught in his own fight- she turned and met the next, and then another, now fighting two. She used the blade frantically then, wincing at the small wounds she received. Backing away to avoid being sliced to bits she found herself bumping into Gareth, and he turned in a split second, sword out. The young woman ducked at his command, then came back up to see only one of her two foes standing- which she dispatched herself in a matter of minutes.

For what seemed like ages to her they had to keep battling umbarians by the light of the blazing ships, and her limbs unused to fighting felt as though they’d soon be useless. As the number of enemies was thinning it became increasingly difficult for Nell to raise the sword- and in one moment she moved too slowly. Her blade was knocked aside by that of her foe, the impact throwing her off balance. She gasped in pain as his sword raked across her thigh, but she came back around and shoved her own through the culprit’s chest, wincing at the hideous noise it made. Reeling a bit she fell squarely on her rump, and then scooted backwards so that she was behind a barrel. Both hands she clamped over the cut. It wasn’t a deep wound, she knew, but it was hurting like fire and she didn’t think she could stand- much less fight- with it. Her beloved she couldn’t see from her hiding place; the last time she’d seen him he’d had a few small hurts but had been fighting tirelessly… as the minutes drew on she became more afraid for him, wondering if he was alright.
By that time they were moving again, Dauron at the wheel as he guided the ‘Gull to (hopefully) safety.

Nell’s mind had somehow begun to wander as she sat hidden, but hearing Gareth call her name brought her attention back to the present.
“I’m right here!” she answered, and clung to him in an almost desperate embrace when he came around to her. When he asked she assured him that she was fine, though she didn’t make any immediate moves to get to her feet.
“Are you alright?” she asked him, still clinging to him tightly.

Naden felled his last opponent, a grin still on his face at Dauron’s proclamation that it was quite time for them to leave… He went to stand at the ship’s railing, clutching it tightly with one bloodied hand as he watched those they passed. The worst of the fighting he knew was being left for Thorongil and the rest of the fleet… he didn’t doubt that they would now be successful, but he somehow felt as though he should stay there and fight.

The sun was rising in the east as he sailed past the last of Thorongil's fleet and out past the opening of the bay into open waters. Glancing back over his shoulder, he saw the black smoke rising all along the length of the harbor and could just see Thorongil's men already on the dock, battling with the Umbarians. Turning the wheel to the north, he rounded the peninsula and the sights of slaughter and death behind him disappeared behind the dunes. He stayed at the wheel until they were well north of the spit of land and then pulling closer to shore, he ordered his men to lower the sails and drop anchor.

Then and only then did he notice the pain and the blood pouring from his side. He looked at Malla. "Are you alright, m'lady? Thank you....your back is broader than I thought," he said, grinning, then his legs gave out and he found himself sitting on the deck, the world swirling before his eyes.

Naden had been musing on a sort of brooding relief, watching the proceedings as wounded crewmen were being helped below to have their wounds seen to. He spotted Gareth’s blonde head poking out from behind a barrel, and he was about to ask what he was doing when he noticed Dauron sinking to the deck, and the large amount of blood coming from an injury in his side. The ranger had given no thoughts to his own hurts- they’d been mostly scrapes and cuts anyway, plus a painful bruise to his already-bruised ribs- so he hurried to where Dauron and Malla were, glancing at his former student once to determine her hurts. The only one that looked as if it would give any trouble was a slice to her cheek- if there were others more serious they were hidden.

“Alright, off with this,” Naden said, relieving Dauron of his shirt, “How long have you been prancing about with this hole in your side, Captain? No one can beat you for being stubborn!”
He took a moment to study the wound, wincing at the sight of it. It needed to be treated, and quickly.
“Malla,” the ranger said firmly as he unhooked his own cloak and removed it from his shoulders, “Go below and find where the wounded are being treated… this needs to be cleaned and stitched up. Bring the supplies for that topside, will you? I think it’s useless to try and get him below right now.”

While she was gone he used his cloak to staunch the bleeding, teasing the red-head in his usual manner though he was inwardly worried. As soon as Malla returned he left her to see to cleaning the wound, going below to find something strong to drink. He figured that the ‘Gull’s Captain would want it, even if he didn’t need it.

[Edited on 26/3/2006 by dreamdancer]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 30, 2006 10:40
A few moments only did Malla have to observe (and appreciate) Capt. Minardil's cleverness when Harmon tossed the flaming bottles of oil at the Corsair ships… for swiftly the deck was filled with their enemy.

Unafraid, yet determinedly, the ranger wielded her sword… taking down one and wounding another before finding herself facing two opponents. Dodging and slicing, Malla's face was grim, and then…
Racing to her side, he swung around behind her, his back touching hers. Leaning over his shoulder, he grinned.

"Your back is covered, my lady. Just be sure you keep mine covered as well," he teased, and then confronted two more sailors in battle.

A brief twinkle of amusement flashed in Malla's eyes. "Don't fear for that, Captain!" she retorted, sending the nearest Umbarian flying with a well-aimed thrust at his face.
Throughout the next few hours, Bernor wheeled the ship as close as he could to the Corsair ships, one by one, Harman and his men tossed their deadly bottles on as many ships as they could reach, and Dauron and his friends fought whatever Umbarians that succeeded in boarding the deck of the 'Gull'. Finally, Harman yelled across the deck to Dauron. "We're out of bottles, sir." Dauron nodded and called back to pull their swords. Calling to his friends amidst the noise of clashing swords, he announced, "I think we've had enough fun for one evening. Time to leave." Pulling Malla with him, he slashed his way to the wheel, where Bernor hung onto the wheel though he sported a wicked slash on his shoulder that was bleeding badly. "Get below if you can and find Elgar. Tell him to set up a place to care for the wounded...and I want you to be the first one bandaged. I'll take the wheel and get us out of here."

Shoving Bernor in the direction of the hatchway, he pulled Malla to his side. "Keep those bloody pirates away from me, love," he said, not even aware of what he had just called her. "This is going to be tricky. Thorongil's fleet is between us and the open ocean." He shook his head and screamed to his men manning the sails. "Get 'em open and up....move fast." He began a dance with the other vessels, slipping this way and that between them, which turned out to be not as difficult as it might have been, given the sleek lines of the ship that was smaller than any of Thorongil's.

Dismissing Dauron's comment as being in the 'heat' of action, Malla did her best to keep the Gull's Captain clear from attackers - once or twice (to her ire) being drawn a few steps off. - But as quickly as possible the Corsairs were 'dealt' with, and she was back in 'place' - until there seemed to be no more coming at either one of them.

“Alright, off with this,” Naden said, relieving Dauron of his shirt, “How long have you been prancing about with this hole in your side, Captain? No one can beat you for being stubborn!”
He took a moment to study the wound, wincing at the sight of it. It needed to be treated, and quickly.
“Malla,” the ranger said firmly as he unhooked his own cloak and removed it from his shoulders, “Go below and find where the wounded are being treated… this needs to be cleaned and stitched up. Bring the supplies for that topside, will you? I think it’s useless to try and get him below right now.”

Ignoring the small wounds she'd received, Malla did as Naden bid her… and while she cleaned the wound and readied it for stitching, she was finally able to 'answer' Dauron's comment.

"'Broad' perhaps," she said calmly, "but even Naden can't be in two places at the same time," Malla added, and nodded when Naden said he'd be back with some strong ale. When it was brought, and after Captain Minardil had taken a hefty swig, the young woman poured some of it over the wound.

"I know," she said, when he winced, "But it's necessary, and then proceeded to carefully (and as gently as possible) stitch up Dauron's wound. "More ale?" Malla asked after then deftly binding it.

"Remind me someday that one reason I became a Ranger was so I wouldn't have to be a seamstress!" Malla commented, and her lip twitched. "My apologies, Dauron… but since I'm not a healer, you're likely to have an 'interesting'-looking scar, I'm afraid…" and wearily got to her feet and leaned against Naden. - And then, she looked over her over-tall mentor-friend. "Anything you need to have sewn up, Naden?" she asked, and winking at Captain Minardil to include him in her 'tease'. "Maybe I should put one or two in your mouth… might 'slow' that 'appetite' of yours for a day or two…"

Nell felt as though her heart was lodged in her throat when the first of the Umbarians boarded the ‘Gull, but she gripped her father’s sword tightly with both hands. but with a grim determination she blinked away the memory and tensed herself.

"I'm here, love," Gareth's eyes didn't leave the approaching enemies… but he wanted Nell to know he was at her side - today, and always!
The battle came to them like a great crashing wave; all at once the young woman found herself swept into fighting, trying to ignore the leering faces on those who came for he, expecting a fight with a woman to be easy. Nell proved them wrong; as always, her technique with the sword wasn’t fluent or well-practiced- mostly a lot of hacking and jabbing- but it was effective nonetheless. Sparing one worried glance at Gareth when the first man fell dead at her feet- and seeing him caught in his own fight- she turned and met the next, and then another, now fighting two. She used the blade frantically then, wincing at the small wounds she received.

Glad of the practice, Gareth fought hard… but as often as possible, the half-elven fisherman kept a close eye on Nell. - Though, once, when he was concentrating on an especially fierce-fighting Umbarian, someone bumped into him… and Gareth whirled with his sword at the ready.

But, seeing it was Nell… and that a corsair soldier was bringing his weapon down for what might be a mortal blow to his love, "Duck!" he yelled, and whilst she did, and went after that one - and she dispatched the other.

After that, and for a time, their enemies seemed as thick as flies… and to Gareth's consternation he lost sight of Nell. Putting all his half-elven strength into throwing off another attacker, as he hacked through the Umbarians, his sea-grey eyes searched for her… and as the Flying Gull *finally * began moving off, "Nell!" he cried, "Nell?! NELL, where are you?" as he searched through the bodies being thrown overboard… and desperately hoping HERS was not among them…
“I’m right here!” she answered,

Overwhelming relief flooded Gareth's heart and soul, as he followed the sound of Nell's voice… and found himself clinging to her as tightly as she was holding him.

"Are you all right, love?" he begged to know, gazing into her eyes anxiously, but when she didn't get up after saying she was, "I'm fine!" Gareth answered curtly, and then caught sight of his beloved's leg wound.

"Nell!" he exclaimed, and despite his own weariness, Gareth lifted her into his arms. "Come, love," he said tenderly, "Let's get that taken care of. I don't think it'll need stitching, but we'll get it bound and treated right away… and carried her over to where Malla and Naden were next to Dauron.

"I need some bandages!" the half-elf called, and setting Nell down gently, "Naden - are you and Dauron all right?" Gareth asked, and taking the cloths Naden handed him, began wrapping them around his love's wound to get the bleeding stopped...
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 07:51
Naden had had to do some rooting around (but not much) to find the liquor. There was quite a store of it, but he just grabbed a bottle without really considering, deciding that one was just as good as the other in this case. He grasped the bottle firmly in one hand as he made his way back topside, inwardly musing with relief on the fact that their part in the whole affair was over.

They would return home and his friends would be able to start getting back to their lives. He had a sneaking suspicion that Gareth and Nell would be doing so together, but he only smirked at the thought as he crossed the deck and handed the wine over to Dauron. The Captain drank deeply, then Malla claimed the bottle and poured the liquid over the wound. Naden stood near and watched her working, though he still watched his red-headed friend with a concerned eye.

"Remind me someday that one reason I became a Ranger was so I wouldn't have to be a seamstress!" Malla commented, and her lip twitched. "My apologies, Dauron… but since I'm not a healer, you're likely to have an 'interesting'-looking scar, I'm afraid…"

“You’re a better seamstress than I am,” Naden said with a quirk at his own lips, well aware that the woman-ranger knew what she was doing. She’d tended his wounds in much the same way while they’d traveled together- he could sympathize with the pain Dauron was feeling (especially at having wine poured over an already throbbing injury) but he wouldn’t have had anyone else caring for him.

She wearily got to her feet and leaned against Naden. - And then, she looked over her over-tall mentor-friend. "Anything you need to have sewn up, Naden?" she asked, and winking at Captain Minardil to include him in her 'tease'. "Maybe I should put one or two in your mouth… might 'slow' that 'appetite' of yours for a day or two…"

Naden laughed and then sucked in a breath, pressing an arm against his bruised ribs and shaking his head.
“You never tire of it, do you?” he said with a grin, “No, Malla, I’m just fine-your services aren’t needed for me. I wouldn’t mind a taste of the drink, though.”

A little stiffly he sat down and borrowed the bottle long enough to take a draught before returning it to Dauron. He was still worried- the wound had been cleaned and treated, but it was certainly possible that it could cause further trouble. The ranger looked to his former student, then, noting again the cut on her cheek.
“And you? See to your own hurts, Malla- and let me know if you need my help.”

-----------------------------

"Are you all right, love?" he begged to know, gazing into her eyes anxiously, but when she didn't get up after saying she was, "I'm fine!" Gareth answered curtly, and then caught sight of his beloved's leg wound.

"Nell!" he exclaimed, and despite his own weariness, Gareth lifted her into his arms. "Come, love," he said tenderly, "Let's get that taken care of. I don't think it'll need stitching, but we'll get it bound and treated right away”… and carried her over to where Malla and Naden were next to Dauron.

Nell didn’t mind being carried- being in Gareth’s arms was a comfort any time- but she hated that she had to be carried. She was certain that she’d have been able to walk with his help… but she didn’t argue with him, and just thanked the heavens that he was alright. When they made it to where their friends were gathered Nell noticed Dauron first and furrowed her brow at the now-stitched wound in his side.

“I need some bandages!" Gareth called, and setting Nell down gently, "Naden - are you and Dauron all right?"

“I am,” Naden said, taking some bandaging and scooting forward to put it into the half-elf’s hands, “Dauron took a blade to his side, but its been treated. He lost a lot of blood though… I think you’ll be fine, Dauron. What about you?”

“My leg,” Nell grumbled, wincing slightly when her love tightened the bandages around her thigh, “I’ll be fine. I’m just ready to get home.”

“Well, that’s where we’re headed,” Naden said with a slight smile, then glanced at her thigh before looking at Dauron.
“You may have to give up your bottle again, friend” he said with the same dismal grin.

[Edited on 7/6/2006 by dreamdancer]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 12, 2006 05:14
Dauron tried to get up but found his legs felt like mush and so he leaned back against the wheel and closed his eyes.

While she was gone he used his cloak to staunch the bleeding, teasing the red-head in his usual manner though he was inwardly worried. As soon as Malla returned he left her to see to cleaning the wound, going below to find something strong to drink. He figured that the ‘Gull’s Captain would want it, even if he didn’t need it.

When he opened his eyes again it was because of the pain slicing through his side. He saw Malla squatting next to him, cleaning the wound. Naden appeared with a bottle of liquor and handed it to Malla, who gave it to Dauron to take a healthy swig. When he had done so, she took the bottle back, pouring some on the wound.

"I know," she said, when he winced, "But it's necessary, and then proceeded to carefully (and as gently as possible) stitch up Dauron's wound. "More ale?" Malla asked after then deftly binding it.

"Remind me someday that one reason I became a Ranger was so I wouldn't have to be a seamstress!" Malla commented, and her lip twitched. "My apologies, Dauron… but since I'm not a healer, you're likely to have an 'interesting'-looking scar, I'm afraid…" and wearily got to her feet and leaned against Naden. - And then, she looked over her over-tall mentor-friend. "Anything you need to have sewn up, Naden?" she asked, and winking at Captain Minardil to include him in her 'tease'. "Maybe I should put one or two in your mouth… might 'slow' that 'appetite' of yours for a day or two…"

He looked up and chuckled at her comment about Naden's appetite and winced again at the pain it caused him to do so. He thought back to a few minutes ago when Malla had wrapped bandaging around his waist, leaning close to his chest as she reached around his body and he had had an odd urge to hold her closer. Shaking his head, he thought, 'Dauron, you are dizzier than you thought, old boy'. Suddenly Gareth appeared with Nell in his arms and set her down next to Dauron. He glanced at her, wanting to say something but too tired to do so.

“I need some bandages!" Gareth called, and setting Nell down gently, "Naden - are you and Dauron all right?"

“I am,” Naden said, taking some bandaging and scooting forward to put it into the half-elf’s hands, “Dauron took a blade to his side, but its been treated. He lost a lot of blood though… I think you’ll be fine, Dauron. What about you?”

“My leg,” Nell grumbled, wincing slightly when her love tightened the bandages around her thigh, “I’ll be fine. I’m just ready to get home.”

“Well, that’s where we’re headed,” Naden said with a slight smile, then glanced at her thigh before looking at Dauron.
“You may have to give up your bottle again, friend” he said with the same dismal grin.

Dauron looked up with bleary eyes and nodded. Handing the bottle up was the last thing he remembered. The sun was high in the sky when he opened his eyes again. He was in his bunk, though he had no recollection of how he got there. His eyes moved around the cabin and he saw Malla sitting in the chair, a blanket over her and the cut on her cheek covered with some thick salve. As he tried to sit up, he moaned with pain, waking Malla. He managed to brace himself against a pillow and his smile at Malla was more of a grimace. "That cut on your cheek is looking better." Trying to see out the porthole, he asked, "It looks like we're well on our way home. I guess we all came out alive."

When a couple of days had passed, Dauron was on his feet next to the wheel, though Bernor was manning it. Tol Falas was in view in the distance and Dauron left Bernor's side to wander to the long bench at the stern of the ship. Gareth was sitting next to Nell, who's leg was elevated on a crate. Naden and Malla sat side by side talking quietly. Elgar had brought some food and drink up on a small table and everyone was picking at various bits of cheese and bread. Dauron poured himself a mug of ale from a large pitcher and held it high.

"When Thorongil returns, we'll know the final outcome. But for now, I want to raise a glass to all of you...my friends and companions. There is no one who I'd rather have by my side in any battle than the four of you. Welcome home, everyone, and a job well done!"

(OOC: Do what you want to do beyond this, Gwen, or tell me if it needs editing.)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 08:20
Captain Gareth Silverlake stood at the railing of his small fishing-ship, the Elanor V... inhaling the fresh sea-breeze that ruffled his shoulder-length blond hair as he gazed out across the ocean he loved so much.

By his side, to his joy, was Nell... and after they'd both given one last wave to the red-haired Captain of the departing Flying Gull, Gareth sighed, and slipped his arm around his betrothed love - feeling that all was 'right' with the world.

After a day or so of waiting, and recovering from their injuries, the small group had been relieved to see Thorongil and many of his ships return to Tol Falas; and they rejoiced at the Ranger's news.

The Corsair fleet had been destroyed... or nearly so, and at the very least, it would be years before the Umbarians could be a menace. - An accomplishment, that... and then the tall Ranger had taken his remaining vessels upriver, and back to Osgiliath.

They'd bid Malla, the woman-ranger who'd aided them a farewell, and with a twinkle in her dark-grey eyes, Malla had commented that she'd not expected to find sea-farers such 'interesting' company. - But, after a tease to Naden, who she'd no doubt see before long, the woman had climbed aboard Thorongil's main ship, and was gone.

Not until the last of the fighing-ships had disappeared up the Anduin did the Flying Gull get underweigh... Gareth now anxious to get back to his own ship, and a new life to lead.

The following days were quiet, he, and Nell, and Dauron and Naden talking quietly amongst themselves... and upon reaching Dol Amroth again, Gareth couldn't help but be aware of the friendship they'd all forged between them.

And, that morning, as they watched the over-tall Ranger heading out, the half-elven fisherman wondered when, or if, they'd one day see Naden again. The farewell to *him* had lasted well-into the night... but Gareth had grinningly seen to it the man had had a good breakfast under his belt before he'd leapt to his mount's back and urged his horse onward.

Yet, with another sigh, Gareth fumed at himself, for forgetting to inform Naden of his and Nell's betrothal. The Ranger had 'deserved' to know it - even if he'd not been able to return to Dol Amroth to attend.

When he and his beloved had shared it with Dauron, Gareth had blushingly 'endured' his best friend's teasing... but that the Flying Gull's Captain was 'pleased' (to say the least!), both he, and Nell were glad of. No specific 'date' was yet planned for their wedding... both the half-elf and his love feeling that they still wanted some 'time' getting to know each other better... and for Nell to re-immerse herself into life outside of being a captive in Umbar.

Gareth's 'musings' were then interrupted when Nell lightly 'nudged' his hip with her own... and with a chuckle, he smiled down into her green-and-brown-flecked eyes. - But, when she teased the half-elven fisherman about not missing the Tide, Gareth leaned down, kissed Nell's cheek, and heartily agreed.

With a bellow 'trained' by centuries of seamanship, Gareth then commanded the sails to be unfurled, the anchor to be raised... and as he *so* loved for it to be, stood next to Nell as she took the fishing-ship's Wheel.

"Hard a-port!" Gareth ordered, and with a wink, and a happy laugh, the Elanor V headed out into the open sea, and to whatever 'adventures' that might lay ahead...

((The End!! - Or... is it?? :angel: ))
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email