Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Forsaken Inn- Under New Management.(open to anyone-anytime)
on: February 27, 2006 04:17
Both Calen's and Nolarion's story were not quite what he imagined. Arkaniel never felt this close to a person before and never had imagined that Elves resembled Men so much...
both stories, though short, were still very emotional. He thought Elves were much more.. well less emotional about stuff and always feasting and singing and dancing and brave fighters when needed. The books he read only told a sort of fairy tales about Elves, always with a happy ending. They had never mentioned, and he had never thought, that Elves wouldn't see most of those tales as happy endings...
The price of immortality they had to pay was much higher than most Men could possibly bear. Seeing all the persons you love die or taken away and living with memories of them for ages...

After Nolarion went to his bedroll, Arkaniel was about to ask Calen about Fea's mortality, but Reycha was first.
"Calen," she almost lost her heart as he looked suddenly at her, as if she had brought him back from a distant world of memories. "I didn't quite understand... You said that Alya's child was a half-elf, unlike you two... But Nolarion said she herself was a half-elf. And why should the child pass away? And... I had thought you were the father. Is the real one... dead?" she stopped herself. "I am sorry, I shouldn't have asked it... I mean, so many questions... I..." she looked at him as if pleading not to be angry with her. She had suddenly felt so much at ease with them and forgotten about her position...

It wasn't quite the way he was going to ask it, but the essence was the same. When she fell silent, Arkaniel quickly added: "I thought half-elves had the choice whether or not to be immortal, like Elrond and Earendil, at least, that is what I read... Well Nolarion and Alya are both Half-Elves, too and they are immortal, so why is Fea going to... eh... pass away?"
Arkaniel wasn't so sure it was so smart to ask it so straight, seeing that Calen was really emotional about Fea, being mortal, but he hoped that at least Reycha would feel a bit better now, now she wasn't the only point of Calens attention. Next to that, he was far to curious and impulsive to have stopped himself from asking... typical young men disease

[Edited on 27/2/2006 by CoNFuSeD_Elessar]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 02:17
PB, now that he saw how excited Mo was to see him return, felt a bit embarassed. If he hadn't stopped for a meal he could have been back to the camp much sooner. He sincerely hoped that MO had found enough food left to feed herself and the Dragon while he was gone.
Mo wanted to help him unpack, so he decided that it would be best to start the unpacking with the provisions so that she and the little one could be fed.
He added a bit of commentary as they removed the sulpplies from Nog's back: 'I don't know about delights, but I did try to thgink of everything we'd need so that we wouldn't have to do much foraging on our way to Moria. Or at least to the gate', he added quietly. [He didn't want to tell her , but despite the stories of Gandalf defeating the Balrog, PB did not want to ever enter a place that had been a home to one of those mythical demons.]
________
'I didn't purchase any fresh foods except for this sack of apples';. PB opened the sack and tossed one towards Mo, only it was snapped out of the air by Tani, who made short work of it.
PB smiled at that as this meant that the dragon was perhaps not just a meat eater, as he had originally thought and he didn't have to worry as much, when she grew, about being a substitute meal should they run out of meat.
PB went on; ' The rest of the foodstuffs I purchased consist of dried fruits, spicy dried meats and this one small sac of Gondorian waybread. Although it is not as nourishing as the Lembas made by Elves I was told that the soldiers of Gondor have been using it ever since Gondor was founded, and it was , at least I was told by the merchant who sold it to me, originally made for the sailors of Numenor to use on their long voyages . In any case it will keep for months if the wrapping is unopened, and will even remain edible for several days once it is opened. We will save it and only use it should we run out of other foods and are unable to forage.'
Holding up a much smaller sack PB then happily explained how he had also bought some spices, so that they could make flavorful soups from their supplies, which would help to stretch them even farther.
Once the food was unpacked, they proceeded to unpack the other supplies. Mo seemed rather surprised by the amount of rope ,so PB explained; "In Tharabd I was shown a map of the area and it was after I saw that map that I purchased all of this rope. In order to get to Moria we will have to cross the Greyflood , but the best point to get across is at Tharbad, But I'm sure that we do not want to bring Tani into town. Tharbad was built here because this was just about the first place, between here and the coast, where the Greyflood could be easily forded.
We will have to go a ways upstream to cross, and although the river is relatively shallow for quite a ways North of the town, the opposite bank is marshy and swampy and we'd have a tough time on the other side should we wade accross. Several leagues upstream from here, the river narrows and gets deeper , and there is no marsh on the other banlk. At that point, even in winter, the river is too deep and swift to ford, so I thought that we could make a small raft and use it to pole our way across. I bought so much rope so that we would be able to tie enough logs together to make adecent sized raft.
____________--
Now that they had unpacked everything, for Mo's inspection, PB suggested that the make their dinner, and retire early, so as to get an early start on repacking and heading upstream along the banks of the Greyflood.
For the first time he could recall, guilt about the size of earlier meal, caused PB only to nibble at the dinner once it was prepared, and to insist that Tani and Mo eat the bulk of it. During PB notiiced that Tani and Mo quietly kept upwind from him, and then he remembered just what a state he was in so as to appear a lone traveller to the townsfolk . He excused himself, dug a change of clothing from his pack, and immediately headed to the riverbank, to clean himself uo the best he could, with the cold waters of the Greyflood.
When he returned, Mo had brewed some tea , and Tani had fallen asleep on a mat. he and Mo quietly sipped ther tea and discussed the route to Moria, the likely responses from the residents of the Forasken to the posibility of raising Tani, and what the two of them would do , should the dragon not be allowed back.
Mo favoured staying near to , if not actually inside of , Moria, but PB shiddered at the thought; "I would sugest the the shores of Lake Nenuial and the Twilight Hills as a great place to raise Tani. No-one lives there anymore, and the area is only occasionally visited bythe Rangers.'
They agreed to hold off any decision until they heard from Randiron and they retired for the night shortly after sunset.
That night PB had wierd dreams of a gigantic Tani and a Balrog ( well actually more of a large bear as PB didn't recall what the balrog was supposed to look like) battling on the grounds of the Forsaken Inn .

[Edited on 1/3/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 04:52
Calen listened to Nolarion's tale and recognized the emotional drain of searching for and losing a loved one. How long had he himself searched for his parents and his betrothed, only to find they had perished in the downfall of Beleriand. How long had he searched for his brother, luckily finding him, only to lose him in the war that ended the Third Age.

But he had found love again...and a family to call his own, confusing as the configuration of that family seemed to the two mortals. He smiled at Reycha trying to figure it out and rather amazed at Arkaniel's knowledge of elven history and lives.

"It is difficult to explain but Arkaniel, you are are the right track. Alya had a choice to make when we wed, much like Lord Elrond. However, her child, Fea, was the daughter of a mortal, so she is only barely elven now. She has no choice she can make. She will live out her life as all mortals do. And Reycha, when Alya agreed to marry me, it was because I agreed to raise Fea with her, and be at her side when Fea passes on." He smiled at Nolarion resting away from the fire, wondering how much he knew of his sister's past, the anguish she lived through.

But this was enough talking for now...they had to be up early in the morning. Calen advised them all to take their rest now, and stoked the fire to last until then.

When the sun was rising in the east, Calen was already up and about, making tea and finding food for the four of them. He was busy thinking how they were going to approach Bree and how they were going to explain themselves. With only the three horses, they had a reasonable excuse for seeking out the town. They had lost a horse and needed a new one, therefore they would be seeking a stable where they could purchase one. With that viable reason, they would be free to wander through the streets of Bree.

But how were they to find Marim? Was he living with his grandmother? And when they found the answer to that question, how would they approach the child and his keepers? Assuming they could reach the child, how would they manage to get him out of Bree? The townsfolk would be on their trail at once. Therefore they needed to find the authorities first, and determine what the story behind Reycha's banishment amounted to. Did the reason warrant the extreme reaction of the entire town? What would be needed to change their minds? Taking Marim without it being approved by the mayor and the authorities would be only something done as a last resort. And for that, they would definitely need the fourth horse. So, stable first.

He noticed the other three stirring and began to pour the tea in small mugs. "Tea is ready, my friends. Time to rise."
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: March 18, 2006 04:42
Morning came, and despite his long day and late arrival, Randiron was up early. After readying himself for the day, the tall ellon then headed downstairs, to find he was the first one there.

A half-smile appeared on Randiron's fair face, to be quickly replaced by a 'mask' as he once more tried to 'account' for his coming back without Pb and Mo... and (once the others returned), just 'how' he'd 'explain' about the young she-Dwarf's baby Dragon.

To keep himself 'occupied' while he ran options through his mind, the golden-haired elf set about getting breakfast underway... hoping that by the time the others began to stir they'd be coming down to a hot (if simple) morning meal...

(( sorry not much! ))
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 04:36
The soft smell of the tea reched Reycha's nose, and she stirred, slowly waking up before Calen's voice called out:

"Tea is ready, my friends. Time to rise."

For a moment, she couldn't quite place his voice, the smells and the noises around... Then it came back to her. She was not in her tiny room in the attics, Pran would not kick her up to get the breakfast ready, as he used to do those rare times she overslept... And Marim was so far away...

Fighting back the sudden tears that were brought by the feeling of helpless loneliness, Reycha crawled out of the sleeping bag Alya had given her when the group was departing form the Inn, and hurried to the fire. Calen already had it going, and the hot tea bubbling in the pot. Reycha looked at the tall elf with guilt. She should have been the one to be up early and prepare breakfast and tea for the rest of them.

"What can I do to help?" she asked.

Then she realized that her bun had gotten loose during the restless sleep, and that her hair was flowing like a wild river over her back, reaching her waist. Ashamed to be seen like this by strange men, Reycha began rewinding it in the tight bun she always wore.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2006 11:35
Arkaniel had troubles falling asleep after the busy day. He had met many new people, getting involved into a complicated drama and he thought he was falling in love...
...Reycha...
when he finally fell asleep, he started dreaming. Off course the dream was about Reycha. He imagined how she must look like with her hair loose, the wind blowing through them... He then dreamed of their adventure. Arkaniel would retrieve Marim for her after a long and fierce battle with legions of Orcs on the slopes of Mount Doom... When he brought Marim to Reycha she would melt for him like butter and they happily ever lived after...

With a shock he became awake, hearing Calen calling them up for tea. while he was getting up he saw Reycha hurying to Calen and asking what she could do to help. Suddenly he realised her hair WAS loose and it really looked amazing, waving on the wind like a wild river of fire. His dream had come true...for a part.

She quickly put them back in her bun however. what a pity, Arkaniel thought with regret. He got up himself and sat down next to her near the fire, ready for tea. He tried complimenting her by saying: "you look really good with your hair loose, what a pity you must now wear it in a bun, for your ranger disguise." Well that went not too bad...

He addressed Calen next, saying :" that disguise really fits her well, but I have a question. How are going to manage with the horses. A ranger doesn't usually share a horse with an Elf, nor with another ranger. actually they barely ever ride horses. I suggest we load all the luggage on my horse and that you or Nolarion pull it with you, while Reycha, sorry Renion, and I walk."

[OOC: bit short, but we can get the story moving again.]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 24, 2006 01:08
Calen was about to hand Reycha a cup of tea when he noticed her tying her hair in a bun at the back of her neck. Immediately, he lay the cup down and grabbed her hand, pulling it free of her hair.

"Reycha, Reycha....you cannot do that. What have you done with the braids Nolarion and I placed in your hair? You cannot enter the town of Bree looking like a woman with a man's clothes on. You must look like one of us." He sighed as he noticed the unshed tears shining in her eyes. His arm went around her shoulder, giving it a squeeze of assurance, then he let her go, bending to recover the mug of tea. Handing it to her, he said, "Here, drink this. And then we'll eat something while we discuss how to approach the people of Bree. I'll re-braid your hair for you as well."

Arkaniel had also risen and had poured his own tea. He addressed Calen next, saying :" that disguise really fits her well, but I have a question. How are going to manage with the horses. A ranger doesn't usually share a horse with an Elf, nor with another ranger. actually they barely ever ride horses. I suggest we load all the luggage on my horse and that you or Nolarion pull it with you, while Reycha, sorry Renion, and I walk."

Calen thought about it but wondered if Reycha's stride could match that of a Ranger. His lips pursed and his eyes narrowed as he stared at the young woman. "Reycha, walk over here to me, please." When she looked up at him, he repeated his request. "Please, just walk over to me." As she walked towards him, he glanced at Arkaniel and laughed openly. "We may have to work on that sway, don't you think?" He turned Reycha so her back was to him. "Walk in longer strides and put your feet firmly on the ground." He gave her shoulders a slight push, sending her across the ground. Her hips still swayed in a feminine way. Taking a deep breath, he looked at Arkaniel. "You may have to teach her how to walk like a Gondorian soldier after I tend her hair again."

Sitting Reycha down on a log, he combed through her hair and then braided it and tied it in the back again. "She is fair enough to be an elven ranger and as her ears do not show, I think she can pull it off," he commented, as he finished his job. "Perhaps her stride will not matter as much if she maintains her disguise and passes as an elf. And as we elves rarely ride horses either, it's debatable who should ride and who should walk. I think if one of us walks, and the other three ride, it will make little difference. We can purchase another horse in Bree and explain it away by saying one of our horses was injured by Orcs."

He looked at Nolarion, who had by this time joined the small group, and Reycha and Arkaniel and spoke again. "What troubles me far more than having horses or not having horses is what exactly are we going to say once we arrive in Bree. We must determine where Marim is, but we cannot simply go and pick him off the ground and ride off with him. We must have a plan." He gazed at them thoughtfully. "I think we must find the mayor or the Ranger watchmen of Bree and see if we can discover exactly what the story behind Reycha's tale is. There is something missing here." Looking quickly at Reycha, he hurriedly said, "It's not that I do not believe what you have told us, but more why the townspeople reacted as they did. There must be something you yourself don't know, something behind all this."

Glancing back at Arkaniel and Nolarion, he asked, "What do you think our plan should be?"
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: March 28, 2006 02:27
In the morning after a very quick breakfast, they packed up and set off down a game trail that roughly paralleled the river. PB and Mo each carried good sized packs, and the dragon alterated between riding on Nog, and walking behind Mo . It was rather slow going, but seemed much better than the only alternative; travelling through Tharbad to the Bridge, risking exposing the dragon to all and sundry.
As they negotiated the trail Pb gave Mo a rough description of the route they would be travelling, based on what he had gleaned from the map;" Once we reach the boggy area, we'll have to travel another 6 leagues ( roughly 18 miles) before we'll be able to cross the Greyflood. We will then be in Hollin. If we then head East for about another 15 leagues or so we could then head south towards some sort of ruins that wwere labelled as Ost-inEdhil, on the banks of the Gate Stream from Moria. From there we just follow the stream right to the gate."
Mo seemed to brighten and the mention of Moria, but PB was loathe to even think about what they would find there.
The game trail wasn't in the best of shape, and as a result , they talked little thorughout the day, instead saving their energy and thoughts for the trail.
By late afternoon PB guessed that they had traveled maybe 4 1/2 or 5 leagues and called a halt. During the day the trail had moved inland a bit from the river, avoiding the boggy bits on the western side, something that PB hadn't noticed on the ma. The sound of the river , though never completely gone, was a lot softer for most of than when they had set off but it seemd to be getting louder again.
PB explained to MO that he was sure that they would be past the marsh by noon the next day and that was when they would head right to the banks of the river and construct their raft.
while MO fixed some dinner, PB spent some time with Tani. Though the dragon resembled some sort of lizard, its eyes seemed mare like the eyes of a cat. Like hobbit children , her head seemed out of proportion for her body, but that would likely change as she grew. PB was surprised when he realized that he was thinking of the dragon as she rather than it .
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: March 29, 2006 10:49
Mo had carefully checked the items that PB had bought, nodding occasionally to PB's comments of how essential this was or how that might be needed, there were few things he had missed, no ale, and no red meat . . . ah well they could perhaps scare up a rabbit or two along the way.

When Tani, took the apple she was most surprised not realizing that the small creature was anything other than a meat eater, perhaps tho it was her great hunger that had made the apple seem good. Mo rubbed the little dragons head gently,

"Do not worry little one you will not starve, PB has brought just about everything we could want."

She smiled at the Hobbit as they took a few essentials into the house, they would retire early, in the morning they would set off. Their journey to Moria would begin tomorrow. As she lay Mo wondered what her feelings were, she decided a mixture of foreboding and longing.

It had been the last place she had seen her family and yet . . . she was a dwarf and Moria had been one of their greatest realms, all the same it was with mixed feelings she finally fell asleep.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

It was early the next morning when the journey began, Mo had hastily loaded the packs that they would carry, the heaviest items were loaded onto Nog who full of grain from Tharbad seemed content enough.

The day seemed a little overcast, but with the wind to the west there seemed little threat of rain, they would make fair progress, Mo at least felt eager to start, her worries from last night forgotten at least for the moment.

It was soon obvious that their progress would be slow, Tani wanted to play and Mo stopped often to allow the small dragonet time to run about, often she would allow her to walk with them, sparing Nog the burden of carrying her.

Tani seemed to have an unlimited supply of curiosity exploring widely but always within sight of the Dwarf after short spells of intense activity she would scramble up Mo's back and was either placed in the basket on Nogs back or carried in Mo's arms, however as the ground grew more rugged this proved to be less possible for both Mo and PB found the going tough.

By late afternoon they had turned again towards the river, for the sound of its swift waters could now be heard. Mo noted PB's thoughts on where they were and smiled softly, tho he believed he were guiding them in truth Mo was allowing him to follow the path she well remembered, having traveled this way when searching for a place to stay, prior to her arrival at the Forsaken Inn.

Ahh the Inn, Mo's thought drifted to wondering what might be happening there, she imagined the soft faced Elf trying to plead with the others to allow them to return, would he succeed? She could but hope.

As she fixed their evening meal Mo noted with some delight that PB seemed more accepting of the little Dragon, calling her she, finally Mo was hopeful, he too might grow to like her eventually.

Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2006 01:33
It was so weird... Having a man combing and doing her hair... again. Reycha sat where Calen had put her, feeling uneasy and wishing with all her heart this would end. It was not.. proper!

But she kept quiet not to disturb the elf in his work. For the girl understoot it was all being done FOR HER. Which was quite confusing itself. But now she had a wild dream, and an impossible one! But still a dream that kept her alive, up and going - the dream to get Marim back. For that she could even let... Reycha quickly shook those thoughts away. They were not good. And these men had done nothing this far to hurt her. No, only to help.

Deep in her considerations, she barely caught Calen speking.

"She is fair enough to be an elven ranger and as her ears do not show, I think she can pull it off," he said, and Reycha gasped. Elven? With wide eyes, she stared at Calen. It could be said only to encourage her, she was sure, for it sounded as nonesense!

Calen went on, speaking about their plan.

"What troubles me far more than having horses or not having horses is what exactly are we going to say once we arrive in Bree. We must determine where Marim is, but we cannot simply go and pick him off the ground and ride off with him. We must have a plan." He gazed at them thoughtfully. "I think we must find the mayor or the Ranger watchmen of Bree and see if we can discover exactly what the story behind Reycha's tale is. There is something missing here." Looking quickly at Reycha, he hurriedly said, "It's not that I do not believe what you have told us, but more why the townspeople reacted as they did. There must be something you yourself don't know, something behind all this."

His words about something being behind Reycha's story made her stiffen. She had never thought about it. Was there something? She doubted it. But when thinking back about her mother-in-law's words and attitude, she had to wonder. Had the woman really plotted it behind Reycha's back? But WHY?

This was all getting too confusing.

"I am not sure whether the Mayor wil be able to tel us something. If my mother-in-law realy is behind the whole story... No, I just can't believe it. No, I don't doubt your words nor judgement, Lord Calen, but the woman hadn't just killed her own son! No mother coud do that..." Reycha's voice broke off. "But there is another thing. I unfortunately do not know how to ride a horse..." she looked at them feeling guilty about her incompetence that could ruin everything the others had done for her. "Maybe we can have me injured in the leg or something, to solve the problem of my stride and the riding. I mean - if the horse follows the others and I don't have to lead it - then I think I could manage staying on it. And... I will bring you to the Mayor's residence. The Rangers' official residence is on the same street, just opposite tha Mayor's."

Reycha too a deep breath, mustering her courage for this show-off. Adventure. The most reckless thing she had ever pulled out. But she was going to do everything that depended on her. Even ride a horse that didn't obey her.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2006 03:22
After having listened to Calen and Reycha, Arkaniel was thinking about what they could do. He admired Reycha for how far she was prepared to go for her son and the others for their willingless to help.

He suggested to the others:

"I think our best shot is to visit some of the inns and just ask the people if there were some exciting stories going on in Bree. I imagine that in such a small village not much worth telling happens. If there is anything special about Reycha's story, it wil probably be the first thing they mention. If we compare the different versions of the story in the inns with what reycha told us, we should be able to make out what reallt happened. It might even provoke the responsible person when he hears there are 4 rangers asking around about thius suspicious looking death."

[OOC: sorry, this is terribly short, but I have not much to say in this conversation]

[Edited on 8/5/2006 by CoNFuSeD_Elessar]
Lindoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2007 03:22
((OOC: Líndoriel is in the DB. She was born in Valinor, was married to Beleg before he died, and carries his bow. Let me know if this is OK, if it's not I can take her off.))

Líndoriel rode along the Greenway towards Bree, her face and form hidden by one of the fabled cloaks of Lorien, given her by her cousin, Lady Galadriel. As she rode, she sang softly a song of her home. As she approached Bree, she rubbed her horse, Súriel and said in a soft voice,

"We'll have a warm place to sleep and a hot meal tonight! Butterbur's hospitality is as good as his wine."

She pulled her horse up and stopped abruptly when she saw the small knot of travelers, two Elves and two Men. She called out at a reasonable distance to the Elves,

"Mae govannen! It is not often that I see my own people on the roads these days. May I ride with you?"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 22, 2007 05:54
Lindoriel,

Please read my PM to you.

Thanks
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email