Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Scottish Clans
on: March 25, 2007 10:26
Here you are Turwen. Try this link to some basic gaelic lessons, complete with sound-files.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/ionnsachadh/bac/

Gaelic is still spoken in many areas, especially the North West Highlands. There are newspapers, readio and TV programs, and even a gaelic wikipaedia!

Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2007 07:08
Hey, thank you very much for the information and the link, cirdaneth. Actually I don't want to study Gaelic, but it nevertheless looks very interesting and it's great to hear some words and phrases spoken, too!!!! So, thanks again!!!!
Alatheia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2007 11:13
Scottish lassie here!! Living in Oxfordshire at the moment but hope to move back by the end of the summer. Was born in the Western Isles but grew up in a small village on the banks of Loch Ness, 8 miles from Inverness in the bonnie Highlands. Also lived in Edinburgh for a while.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: May 19, 2007 09:31
Was born in the Western Isles but grew up in a small village on the banks of Loch Ness, 8 miles from Inverness in the bonnie Highlands. Also lived in Edinburgh for a while.
Sooo ... half way between Inverness and Drumnadrochit. I make that Lochend ... or were you on the other side of the water?

I have lived in Edinburgh too, been a temp shepherdess between Perth and Crieff, and then ran a mountaineers and back-packers hostel in Glen Torridon, Wester Ross, where we also kept the Rescue Post, the Weather Station, and dished out tourist information. Busy times, but long ago. It's all McKenzies, McDonalds and Beatons in that area.
Makil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 10:13
Slainte Yall
I was born and raised in Texas .( Burns ) My grandparants said that they had been told by their parants and so on back, that we came from Scotland long ago and had fought there. Just oral history nothing solid.
In the 80s my wife became interested in genegology , and found that sure enough, my oldest known American ancestor John Burns , had been captured at the battle of Preston , in 1715 , ( Jacobite Rebellion), tried, bannished from England to the fromtier in Cumberland Pa in 1716. This seems to be about as far in the Americas as they could send him from England.
So thats my connection to Scotland.
Come on guys , I'ts been near 300 years .
Can I come home?
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2007 10:16
From what I understand from my Grandfather (on my mom's side), his bloodline goes back to the Campbell clan. My mom always use to tell my sisters and I that during his service to the Canadian forces during WWII he was looking to see where the Campbell's were allowed to live when he wasn't busy with anything else (organ lessons included).
That and My dad liked telling us that my Great-Grandfather Moran flipped when he heard my dad was marrying a Scot.
Born in Indiana, however. Totally Part Canadian.

[Edited on 11/11/2007 by longbe4thesun]
Huorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2007 03:31
I am descended from the clan Wood. My coat of arms features an Oak Tree. My forbears settled in Kentucky. They are from the English arm of this clan. Their crest is also an Oak Tree.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 05:16
This all really sounds very, very interesting for me. I can barely imagine it. It sounds like a great cultural heritage and I think it is great that the Scotish keep it alive. Yes, I've read about every clan having their own tartans. So that everyone knows from which clan you come from.
I really, really hope to visit the country. It's not so far away, but it definatley lacks of money....
In my book it all begins at the Craig na Dhun (written like this?!). It's a stone circle like Stonehenge. Have you heard of this?! Does it really exist?! I think so.
Oh, and I have one more question (sorry, I don't want to go on your nerves, but I'm so curious about all this): Does anybody of you speak Gaelic?! Or is it no more very much known in Scotland?!

Sounds like somebody was reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books

When I visited Scotland a few months ago, we stayed in Inverness for a few days, and the owner of the B&B we stayed at said that she has tons of people (women mostly) staying there who want to "follow" the books, and see where the events happened. Alas, there is no Craigh na Dun -- no place specifically called that, nor that is exactly like that, near Inverness. The B&B owner did say there was a small set of standing stones near the city (very, very small ones), and offered to tell me where they were, but we didn't have time. We did go see Clava Cairns (which has standing stones, too -- I touched one, but didn't disappear into the past. Guess it wasn't the right time of year), which was totally cool, though...

I do have to say that it was rather thrilling, as a fan of the books, to visit places and say to myself "So that's what ______ really looks like," -- but you do have to recognize that when she wrote the first book she'd never been to Scotland, and she messes up her geography a LOT. Still, it's a lot of fun.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2008 07:54
I'm from Scotland, not sure what clan I'm from though... live halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh, quite near Stirling too, and within sight of the Campsies (huge hills I used to go climbing on... alas, not any more). I :heart: Scotland!
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2008 08:32
Hi obsessed. Check out this site, it might help you find which Clan you belong to.

ScotsClans

And when you find which Clan you belong to, you can check out this site to find out more about the particular Clan.

Official Scottish Clans and Families

Lissenierë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2008 03:48
I'm Scots with a fair amount of Highland heritage in my family tree. Grant, McLaren, McNeil, McLeod, McRae, Ferguson, McBain are all the obvious ones. Have been working on the family tree for a while now and it's getting harder and harder to get further back than the early 1700s.

I live in Edinburgh but am from Glasgow originally and I love watching Billy (Pippin!) as his cheeky nature reminds me of the people of my beloved city.

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is fascinating - my Grant ancestors fought on both sides during the Battle of Culloden.

Lissenierë

Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 10, 2008 04:54
i'm not from scotland, nor live there, but i do have scottish and irish in me. i'm from clan MacDougall, and though that's not how my family spells it. Our motto is Buaidh no Bas, which means Victory or Death. nice....
elennilda
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2008 10:42
I belong to the macDonalds of clanRanald. It is very distant though, my family has been living in the Netherlands for quite a few generations now.

I have visited Scotland twice and have fallen in love with it! It is a very special and beautiful country. *goes off humming "Scotland the Brave"*
Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2008 03:16
I live in California, but have family ties (WAY back!) to MacFarlane, MacNaughton and hall. The Halls are a border family.

I participate in the Heavy Athletics at the Highland Games, and if you go look at the Fans Over 40 threads you'll see pics of me tossing the caber1
ScottishBookworm
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2009 02:14
I'm a member of Clan Scott, but, sadly, I'm not actually from Scotland. I LOVE going to Scottish games. There's a Highland Games in July that's pretty big in North Carolina, if anyone's near.... I couldn't attend this year, but I've been before and hope to go again. I'm about.....either 1/8 or 1/16 Scottish, not counting my mother's side.

Our tartan! Sorry, it's a little big... I do like the hunting one better.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Hi! I was born in Scotland but am not Scottish by heritage. I don't sound very Scottish, but I think I get more Scottish when I'm annoyed
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
I'm descended from Scotts on my Mother's Father's side of the family. We're counted in Clan MacLean.
Personally I adore the Scottish accent, think the country is beautiful, and would love to live there some day.
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
Aineislis
Council Member
Send Message
Hii! I'm Scottish! From Stirling! LOTR_obssessed_loony, hey! *waves* Anyone else nearby?

[Edited on 03/12/2014 by Aineislis]
lady_emilie
Council Member
Send Message
My dad's part Robinson, part french, and my mum's a Scott (I was born in Switzerland but that's beside the point lol). I sound pretty scottish, but I've never lived there. I'm at school in England much to the distress of my Scottish extended family haha!!! I used to ski competitively for scotland though...
Fool of a Took!
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
My great great grandparents originated from sctottland

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email