Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: There and Back-The Beginning of the Great Adventures
on: April 11, 2006 12:10
"This is Mithdínen," said Elenlin with a smile, thus introducing him to her friends. "Mithdínen, this is Glorfindel, and this is Mallenwen, both of them good friends of mine."

Mallenwen smiled, "Mae govannen Mithdínen..." She said, bowing her head in greeting, with a smile on her face. Whoever this man was, it appeared he and Elenlin were somewhat familiar with each other, or at least it seemed.

"However, I know that Thranduil might take some convincing to meet us. Young One, would you be so kind as to convince him to see us?" he added with a smile, looking at Elenlin.

"Of course!" she replied with a laugh. "Will you fill them in while they eat?" she asked her elven friends.

The elleth smiled, "Well then I must wish you good luck Elenlin! Hopefully you of all people can persuade him... good luck." She said to her travelling companion with a smile as the elleth left.

Glorfindel and Mithrandir were talking to each other about something, but Mithdínen could not hear what they said, nor did he attempt to. Mithdínen shook his head and sighed quietly in amazement.

Mallenwen followed Mithrandir, Glorfindel and Mithdínen out of the hall and towards the dining area. She walked along at the back of the group, behind Mithdínen slightly. She looked and saw Mithrandir and the ellon talking with each other and she glanced over at the man who shook his head slightly.

"Are you allright?" She asked hesitnatly, speeding up to walk beside him, "Have you been travelling long with Mithrandir? It is strange that I have not met either of you myself, as I travel quite frequently." She remarked conversationally and glanced over at him.

((Sorry this is kinda short. Hope its ok.))
Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 03:28
((looks fine to me arwen! ...my, it is good to see this thread alive again! :love: ))

Elenlin was satisfied that Mallenwen would fill Gandalf and Mithdínen in on their journey, and then report to her whatever the two said of theirs. A huge grin spread across her face as she walked down the hallway towards the hall she knew that Thranduil would be meeting in. She knew that the five of them would get along wonderfully, and having new companions made the journey even more interesting and a bit less burndensome.

She stopped breifly infront of the door, took a deep breath, and nudged it open.

"Pardon me, my lords" she said with a full bow "but I come with a message from Mithrandir."

The Woodland King, Legolas, and several council memebers stood from their place at a long table.

"Welcome Elenlin." Replied Thranduil "What word from the Grey Pilgrim?"

"He wishes to speak with you. I told him that we had arranged a meeting tomorrow, but he would like to speak with you sooner. We are on a very desperate errand, and I fear that Gandalf has more grave news." The elleth glanced at the prince, who gave her an encouraging smile.

After much thought, a bit of arguing, and a lot of persuading on Legolas' part, Thranduil finally agreed to a meeting later that evening. Elenlin bowed, and rushed off to inform her friends.

She found the four of them still seated around empty breakfast dishes and trading stories. The half Noldor quietly pulled up a chair and waited to share the news.
Teciltur
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2006 10:36
"Are you allright?" She asked hesitnatly, speeding up to walk beside him, "Have you been travelling long with Mithrandir? It is strange that I have not met either of you myself, as I travel quite frequently." She remarked conversationally and glanced over at him.

"I'm fine," Mithdínen replied, trying to hide that he had been slightly startled. "I'm not surprised you haven't met me on the road, though, since I usually only travel between Minas Tirith and Dol Amroth on occasion. Mithrandir has yet to tell me why he wanted me to join him on this journey," he added with a slight smile, and was rewarded with a laugh from Mallenwen. "Though I am probably the only historian in Minas Tirith fit for a journey," he said, "although not the most learned, so that would account for his choice of me rather than anyone wiser than me. But the reason why he would want a historian here..." He shrugged and shook his head slightly.

After having walked for a bit they came to a door, through which they entered into a room. Although it was a large room, it was not quite large enough to be called a hall. At the far end there was a fireplace, where a small fire was still burning. A few servants were presently busy with the last stages of setting a table. Mithrandir sat down on a chair, and ushered Mithdínen and the elves to join him. The young man sat down opposite to the wizard and cautiously began filling his plate, taking care not to appear uncouth. As Mithrandir had filled his own plate he spoke to the elves before he began eating.

"Now, tell us what you've been through," he said and drank from his goblet. Mallenwen and Glorfindel exchanged a glance to determine whom of them should speak first. While they were talking, Mithdínen tried to pay attention to their voices and eat at the same time, a task not as easy as it may sound, especially since he was quite hungry now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the two elves were finishing their account of the events they had been through, Mithdínen noticed that Elenlin entered the room. She pulled up a chair and sat quiet until her friends were finished. Then they all looked towards the wizard, who sat silent for a short while, seemingly staring at something in the distance while thinking about what he had just heard.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 21, 2006 08:43
"I'm fine," Mithdínen replied, trying to hide that he had been slightly startled. "I'm not surprised you haven't met me on the road, though, since I usually only travel between Minas Tirith and Dol Amroth on occasion. Mithrandir has yet to tell me why he wanted me to join him on this journey," he added with a slight smile, and was rewarded with a laugh from Mallenwen.

“Ah I see…” Mallenwen said simply with a smile, “Well I travel quite a lot, but I have yet to travel to Dol Amroth… Minas Tirith I have visited, but I did not linger long. I prefer the woodland realms, I suppose it’s because that is where I was raised, in Lothlorien.”

The elleth smiled, “Well… trust me, if Mithrandir wanted you to accompany him, it is for a reason. You should feel honoured.” She laughed at his doubtfulness, “I’m sure he thinks you’ll serve your purpose. Of what your purpose is, I am not sure yet, but I am sure he will reveal it soon enough!”

"Though I am probably the only historian in Minas Tirith fit for a journey," he said, "although not the most learned, so that would account for his choice of me rather than anyone wiser than me. But the reason why he would want a historian here..." He shrugged and shook his head slightly.

“Hmmm… a historian you say? Well… I’m not sure, but I know one thing…if Mithrandir chose you above anyone else, you must either be very special, very wise or have some very precious information that he feels others here should know.”

Mallenwen nodded slightly and then turned her head, looking down as they carried on walking down the hallway. She tried to think of something to say to Mithdínen, but her mind went blank and she found herself opening her mouth to say something and then closing it again, deciding not to speak. It must have looked very odd from an observer’s perspective, but she did not really care.

She was saved from trying to think of something to strike up a conversation, when they arrived in the hall, where some servants were busy setting the place settings for a meal. Mallenwen entered the room last and sat down hesitantly when Mithrandir gestured for them all to join him and Mithdínen.

"Now, tell us what you've been through," he said and drank from his goblet. Mallenwen and Glorfindel exchanged a glance to determine whom of them should speak first.

“Well…” The elleth began, glancing at Glorfindel first and then after he nodded she smiled and continued, “Well… it began in Imladris. If I remember rightly, Elenlin was returning home, when a company of orcs attacked her. She was injured gravely and they were closing in. However Melannen (a friend and companion of yours I do believe?) killed the orcs, and helped her back to Rivendell, with the help of Glorfindel.” She nodded her head in acknowledgement to the ellon and then continued.

“Lord Elrond healed her and Melannen stayed in Rivendell. That is when I came. Well, my ‘adoptive mother’, Lady Galadriel, asked me to go to Lord Elrond and tell him of a vision she’d seen while looking into her mirror one night. The mirror shows things that are, things that were and things that haven’t yet happened…and so the vision she saw, and related to me, was quite unlike anything I’d seen before. It was horrifying and quite upsetting.” She said, her voice turning sadder as she thought of it. And then she shook her head, “Sorry… er- as I was saying…” She blushed slightly, clearing her throat.

“I arrived in Imladris, and talked with Lord Elrond, and then myself, Melannen, Glorfindel and Elenlin were present at a small council which took place in Elrond’s council chambers. It was the vision, which I brought news of to Rivendell. The vision confirming that Nenya, the Ring of Adamant, had indeed been stolen. In the vision... the sky was dark, as dark as the feather of a raven... but there was a light, shimmering in the distance, faint yet still there. It grew stronger...and stronger, but then suddenly the darkness covered it and quenched its light. Then there was fire... roaring flames...uncontrollable and they destroyed the woods...the woods of Lothlorien..." She paused for a moment to take a breath and then continue.

“And Rivendell was no longer a safe haven for the elven kind. It was not hidden. It was completely destroyed…barren. That is when the vision became cloudy, yet just as it faded… a tall, menacing elf clothed completely in black stood on a hill looking at Rivendell, and he smiled successfully and joyfully. He is the one they call the Dark Elf, Mortathar, who I believe you, Mithrandir have heard about from a man in Rohan?” She inquired and when the wizard nodded she did the same.

“Yes…well he was banished from Lothlorien for stealing and he was sent into the wild, alone. He still held a grudge, naturally, killed the elf that turned him in for stealing, and was again disowned by the elven race of Lorien. Well anyway, we believe he is in the league with the Dark Lord, and it is bad. Lothlorien is no longer safe…its light quenched, because this elf wishes to destroy his own people!” She exclaimed, loyally passionate about her homeland and its people, “It was decided then at the council that Nenya must be reclaimed for the good of the elven race…and the elven realms of Middle Earth. And so, this…journey…quest…mission was trusted to the three of us, myself, Melannen and Elenlin.”

Mallenwen stopped for a moment and looked at them all to see their reactions, giving them a moment to process all the information, which was a lot, and then she continued yet again. “Well we rode to Lothlorien first of all, and there we were welcomed by Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn… Melannen received council from my ‘father’ I do believe, though I did not pry and ask what of it. While he did this, Elenlin and I were also talking with Galadriel, and we both looked into the Mirror. I know naught of what Elenlin saw, and I do not wish to pry… the mirror can show personal horrors that are difficult to speak of. Perhaps she will relate them to you, in time."

"Anyway, we both looked into the mirror and saw scenes of what could come, if we did not succeed, and also images of what would undoubtedly happen before the end of all this. All 3 of us were given gifts of parting the following day, and we left Lothlorien, on our way to Dol Guildur where we believed the Dark Elf’s hideaway to be around. That is when we ran into Haldir, Elladan, Elrohir and…Glorfindel.” She smiled slightly at the ellon. “Who should really tell of what he knows and suspects, of the tale?” She suggested, her voice getting weak from all the talking and she looked at him, hoping he would have something to add relating to their journey.

The elleth looked up as she saw the door opening, and Elenlin entered the room, pulling up a chair. She smiled warmly at her travelling companion, and waited til Glorfindel had finished what he wished to say, before Mithrandir contemplated it, and then Elenlin could speak of the news.

((Wow, that account was quite long wasn’t it? And I only got them to the meeting with Glorfindel, Haldir, Elladan and Elrohir! Do you mind carrying on Aranel, as Glorfindel? Wow, I enjoyed writing this post. If anything needs changing you can just let me know. K? ))
Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 28, 2006 03:21
The golden haired ellon cleared his through and began. "After we joined parties..."

While her friend was talking, Elenlin carefully thought about their plans for the day, the meeting, and their destination, trying to make sense of it all. It was like a big game of chess, and Mortathar was moving his peices very wisely. Elenlin hoped that they could anticipate their opponent's next move soon enough to stop him.... but first, their was Thranduil.

She paused in her thoughts long enough to sneak a peice of bacon from Gandalf's plate. Oh, she knew the wizard saw her, and he knew that she knew that he knew, but Gandalf didnt slap her hand away until her second attempt.

"...speaking of Thranduil, why dont you tell us what the good king has decided Elenlin?" proded Glorfindel

The elleth gave a nod and a warm smile to the "friend of the family" and shared her news. "Thranduil agreed to meet with us after dinner tonight, mellyn-nin. I can decipher nught of what we are to do until then, nor what we will do there, only that we should go together and be ready to leave tomorrow morning. My heart tells me that we can not stay here much longer. But Mithrandir, why dont you share with us your tale? Obviously Melannen was able to meet with you before you left, but what has become of him? These things may shine some light on what we may expect at our meeting with the woodland king."

"Very wisely spoken Young-one. Yes, Melannen brought news to me of your mission, and I came here as fast as I could. I saw many signs along the way to confirm that what you say is true, but other than that the journey was uneventful. Well, besides learning that Mithdínen here can make a wonderful rabbit stew." With that the old man gave the human a mischevious smile. "As to Melannen, he is helping Turin lead the battle at Osgiliath. Mortathar is trying as hard as he possibly can to keep Men in their own realm and not interfering with the Elves."

As Elenlin absorbed this new information, she silently prayed to Iluvatar for Melannen's protection.

"Now, as to answer your questions Mithdínen and Mallenwen," Continued the wizard "the two of you have already discovered one reason for my choosing of Mithdínen, and Elenlin has discovered the other, though she may not realize it yet. The other reasons will be revealed in time."

Mallenwen's mouth dropped open. "How did you know?!"

Elenlin, Glorfindel, and Mithdínen all said at the same time "He always knows!"

That just made them all burst out laughing, and Gandalf just sat there with a mischevious glint in his eyes.

Once they had calmed themselves, which took a while, Gandalf gave them some instructions. "Now, Glorfindel, you and I will need to spend some time in council today. I will meet you in our guest room later. Mallenwen, our young friend here could use some practice with his sword, and it would be nice if you could accompany him to the training and sparring grounds. Mithdínen, you had best go with her, and try not to protest too much. You are a quick learner, and you very well know it. Elenlin, you may use this time to visit with your friends, try and drag the Prince away as you usually do, or join Mallenwen and Mithdínen at the sparring field. Better yet, why dont you try to bring Legolas down there with you. But whatever you do, try to do something constructive and stay out of trouble for once!"

At this Elenlin leaned over to whisper to Mallenwen "I told you he always knows."

After the breakfast dishes were emptied and stomachs were satisfied, the group split until evening. Mallenwen and Mithdínen headed for the sparring grounds while Elenlin ran off to get Legolas. She was already planning for a short tournament after they all helped the human with his training, and then.... well... she had a few ...surprises... for the afternoon. The elleth could barely keep her laughter contained as she hurried down the hallways.

(sorry this was so late!! :blush: i hope its ok! )

[Edited on 29/4/2006 by Aranel_Elenlin]
Teciltur
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2006 02:55
Mithdínen followed the elleth, about half a step behind her, as he did not know where they were going. She had been kind enough not to mention the rabbit stew; Mithrandir's mentioning of it had been quite embarrassing.

"So you cook well, do you?" Mallenwen asked. Mithdínen cleared his throat and avoided eye contact. Speak of the balrog…

"Well enough," he said. "I have no sisters, and I used to help my mother out with the cooking. And now that I live in Minas Tirith, I've come to rely on myself for food. I've never cooked rabbits quite as fresh before this trip, though."

The sparring grounds were outside, and the sun was shining. A few elves were practising archery at the far end, filling targets with arrows at a terrifying speed. Mallenwen was walking over to a rack where there were quite a few wooden swords, of different shapes, sizes and weights. Mithdínen followed her, slightly reluctantly. The rack was standing just inside a small indentation into the wall, with broad wooden doors that could be closed in case of rain. She stopped, turned around and smiled as she spoke:

"How skilled are you?"

"Well, not much..." he replied. "I have some basic skills."

"May I feel your sword?" she asked. Mithdínen gave her a puzzled look. "So I can pick out one of equal weight," she clarified with a friendly smile. Mithdínen hesitated.

"Could I do that myself?" he asked. Thankfully, Mallenwen took a step to the side and motioned towards the rack, still smiling.

"Of course," she said.

Having both picked out a sword, Mallenwen showed Mithdínen where he could put the sword he carried at his side. Then they stepped onto a training circle, about twenty-five feet across, where the earth had been pounded into a hard surface by many feet before them. They faced each other. Of course she had something to comment upon almost before he had raised his sword; his stance was wrong. Not too long thereafter, they actually began fencing, slowly. The archers had either gotten tired of killing the dolls of hay, or found the sound of Mithdínen's efforts too annoying; either way, they had come up to the circle. At first Mithdínen didn't notice them, but then he heard one of them say something, to which the others laughed. This made him lose his rhythm, and he took half a step backwards, as did Mallenwen.

"Sorry," he mumbled to Mallenwen, who had given the other elves a rather stern glance.

"That's okay," she said. "We'll take it from the beginning, then?"

Mithdínen nodded, and they began sparring again. A few moments later one of the elves spoke:

"Tortha sui naug ingem." ("He wields like a decrepit dwarf.") The others laughed. Mithdínen took a step back.

"Sorry," he said to Mallenwen, and then he turned to the bystanders. "Ú-'onathro lam vaen lín; ú-vaer sui nardh," he said to them calmly. ("Don't entangle that nimble tongue of yours; it won't be useful as a knot.")

The elves fell silent. One of the others whispered something to the one that had spoken, but Mithdínen couldn't hear what he said. The first elf glared at the one who had whispered to him, but nodded.

"Goheno nin," he said, somewhat reluctantly. ("Forgive me.")

Mithdínen bowed, and then turned to face Mallenwen again. They began sparring again, and the bystanders walked away in silence. The two continued sparring, while the elleth commented upon his performance and gave him tips. He was feeling slightly embarrased, and very out of place. Sword fighting was not something that had occupied much of his time as a child. Therefore he was quite relieved when he saw Elenlin and some elf come out through the doorway. He offered to take Mallenwen's practise-sword back to the rack for her, and put on the belt with his sword. He touched the hilt, and held it as he walked back to the elves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Always remember what's written on it, Mithdínhir!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He shook his head, and tried to produce a smile as he looked up at Elenlin. It worked quite well, even though he was not used to smiling in front of people; she smiled back.

((Your post is fine, Aranel, as I've already said. And there's still no rushing inspiration. ))
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 30, 2006 01:56
Elenlin was relieved to find Legolas occupied with nothing important, and in the room she had hoped he was in. It didnt take long to convince the Prince to climb out the window and down a nearby tree to avoid the guards on their way to the sparring grounds. Thanks to their sneaking, they made it through the "main" level of the cave and out a back door without any trouble.

As they approached, Mithdínen and Mallenwen were finishing with their training, and the latter seemed to be doing quite well under the former's guidance. Elenlin gave Legolas a knowing glance and then turned to the human.

Though he seemed a bit embarrassed, the man managed a sweet smile. Elenlin had to resist the urge to give him a big hug, and instead returned a pleased grin. This could be Estel in a few years, though much to Ada's dismay the little one is no where near as quiet as this one.

The brunette elleth turned then turned to Mallenwen. "How did he do?"

After the two discussed the mans strenghts and weaknesses, in hushed tones as not to embarrass him, Elenlin was ready to test him herself.

"Come mellon-nin, I would like to spar with you myself."

"Shall I go get the training swords?" offered Mithdínen

"Thank you, but no. It is time you used a real blade, became accustomed to it. You will be fine, relax." the hazel eyed elleth consoled him as she loosely tied her curls out of the way with a thick green ribbon.

As they stepped into the sparring circle, Elenlin began to softly coach his techniques. "Lesson number one, chin up. That's better. Now, none of that blushing, it's not becomming of a warrior." Elenlin had to laugh, for when she said it, the human only blushed all the more. "Please do relax mellon-nin, you're doing great."

The two circled and began basic manuvers. Gilross and Taurmir gleamed in the sunlight streaming through the ancient trees. "Back, good good. Ok, spin.... well done! Now foreward... very nice! Focus, dont let them distract you. Breathe...much better. Duck... excellent! Hold it steady now. Dont watch my eyes, watch my waist... it shows you where my next move is coming from. Move your feet now... very good."

By the end of their sparring, Mithdínen had greatly improved. "You are a fast learner Mithdínen, I am very pleased with your progress. Mallenwen, excellent training mellon-nin! Now Legolas, I do believe it has been a while since the two of us have had a good match... and last time, I do believe it was a draw. Care to settle the score? I do think our friends would like to see a real fight." She winked at the blond ellon.

"You know I could not resist such a challenge hiril-nin!" grinned the Prince as he unsheathed his knives.

"Mallenwen, why dont you call the winner?" suggested Elenlin

"I'd be honored to!" called the Lorien elleth

The half Noldor grinned mischeviously at Legolas as they circled each other, and the prince's blue eyes filled with mirth. Like a flash of lightning the four blades collided. Jabbing, parrying, and spinning, the two Elves fought with tremendous speed. It was a dance they had become accustomed to over the years, but they never grew tired of it. Each let the other show off a bit, and congradulated them on their moves.

It was in the heat of the match when Elenlin decided to try her newest move that she had learned in a battle with a pack of wargs. She faked left, then darted right as she lept off the ground. While in the air, she spun using gravity as momentum and brought her foot down on the prince's chest just hard enough to knock him down. The elf-maiden landed gracefully with a foot on either side of Legolas' rib cage and her knives crossed above his neck.

"Well done Elenlin! I do believe you won this time!"

"Only because you let me! I know very well that you could have stopped that!" She knew that their companions could hear every word, but she didnt care.

"Well someone had to win, or else Mallenwen would have no one to spar!"

"Oh, fine. It was a good match, and it was a pleasure to compete with you again. Though, if there were any bets on our last match, I expect you to pay up sometime this evening!"

"But Lin! That was ages ago! And... and.... you cant be serious about that!"

"Im serious as serious can be hir-nin! ...Well, I guess I could let you off the hook, just this onece.... but on one condition."

"What is it this time?!"

"Just that I have your permission to pull a few pranks before I leave, and that you will help me with them." Elenlin's eyes shone with laughter.

"Well... I guess that's better than.... ok, you have a deal hiril-nin!"

"A wise decision my friend. Do you think you could help me show Mithdínen some archery tips before we fullfill your promise?"

"It would be my pleasure! If he wouldn't mind, that is."

After a quick embrase, the two rejoined their friends just outside the sparring circle.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 09:27
Mallenwen watched as Mithdinen went to put the swords back away, and then noticed Elenlin and Prince Legolas come into the training grounds. She smiled at her friend as she came towards her, and then muttered in an undertone.

"How did he do?"

"Well...after his stance improved I think he did reasonably well. His main weakness is embarassment, I must admit. If he overcomes that...he'll make a good swordsman, I'd hazard a guess." She admitted with a smile. She noticed Mithdinen realised they were talking about him and she cleared her throat and stood up straight instead.

Then, Mallenwen watched as Elenlin decided to spar with Mithdinen herself. She saw the man's slightly uncomfortable moment when she said to use real swords. The blonde elleth walked out of the circle and stood at the edge, near Legolas, watching the two with genuine interest.

She smiled as Elenlin challenged Legolas, and he took it quickly and walked into the circle. When Elenlin suggesting calling the winner she smiled. "I'd be honored to!" called the Lorien elleth.

She folded her arms and watched as they began to circle each other mischeviously...and then their blades collided, and for the next few moments, the air was thick with the sounds of sword on sword. The elf had to admit that it was often hard to keep up with what was happening and it was clear they had practiced such moves for many years.

Mallenwen gasped slightly as Elenlin executed the winning move, and managed to hold her knives crossed above his neck. "Well done Elenlin!" She called, with a smile.

"A wise decision my friend. Do you think you could help me show Mithdínen some archery tips before we fullfill your promise?"

After a quick embrase, the two rejoined their friends just outside the sparring circle.

The blonde smiled as Elenlin and Legolas walked back towards her and Mithdinen. "Wonderful fight! I must admit that I've never seen a move such as that executed so perfectly." She said, inclining her head towards the Half-Noldor. "Where exactly did you pick that one up? On one of your travels perhaps?" She wondered.

"Anyway... I do believe that you are in for an amazing archery lesson, if rumor is correct about Prince Legolas." She said, glancing over at him before continuing speaking to Mithdinen, "Your swordsman is wonderful you know... don't be so embarassed about yourself and you'll do fine!" She said with a warm, kind smile.

"Now then..." She turned to Elenlin.

((Sorry it took so long. And sorry this is short and not up to a usual standard. I'm trying to catch up a bit of story, but obviously it's already passed like 2 posts ago so... yeah it's kinda weird in my post. Sorry for the delay also- end of year exams have been on all this week. And I have another one next week too, but then that is it! yay! And I should be more active from then on.
Teciltur
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 01:43
Mithdínen nodded slowly in agreement to Elenlin's suggestion. "Shall I go get the training swords?" he asked.

"Thank you, but no. It is time you used a real blade, became accustomed to it. You will be fine, relax." the hazel eyed elleth consoled him as she loosely tied her curls out of the way with a thick green ribbon.
Mithdínen hesitated. He felt a tap on his shoulder and turned towards the elven prince.

"If you'd rather not risk harming your blade, you can use one of the ones over there," Legolas said in a low voice. "I assume it's an heirloom," he added with a slight gesture towards the decorated hilt.

"Yes..." said Mithdínen. "Thank you." He went over to the rack the prince had pointed out, and took of the sword of his ancestors once more. He returned to the sparring circle, holding a sword very much like his own. He stepped into it together with Elenlin, who began tutoring him immediately.

"Lesson number one, chin up. That's better. Now, none of that blushing, it's not becomming of a warrior."
Mithdínen felt his face redden even more. Of course she had to say that. Her laughter was not unkind, though. They began fencing, he with his sword and she with the two knives she held, one in each hand. Even though he felt very unsure all the time, she was patient and did not seem to mind that he was not really progressing. Well, at least he felt that he did not progress much.

When the elleth challenged prince Legolas, he stood in amazement and watched them fight. The speed and agility of the two elves was breathtaking. He was very surprised when it ended so quickly. He could see that the two were very close friends.

"Do you think you could help me show Mithdínen some archery tips before we fullfill your promise?"

Mithdínen bent down his head slightly, unsure if he was agreeing, or simply breaking eyecontact with the elven prince. The two approached him and Mallenwen, and Mallenwen complimented them.

"Anyway... I do believe that you are in for an amazing archery lesson, if rumor is correct about Prince Legolas." She said, glancing over at him before continuing speaking to Mithdinen, "Your swordsman is wonderful you know... don't be so embarassed about yourself and you'll do fine!" She said with a warm, kind smile.
Mithdínen felt embarrased again, and stood with his arms crossed and watched the ground. Everyone seemed to have more faith in him than he did himself. He could not see why, really. He stood silent as Mallenwen turned to Elenlin, awaiting her to speak next. Mithdínen looked towards the elleth.

((It's okay, Arwen, don't worry about it. ))
Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 14, 2006 06:14
The blonde smiled as Elenlin and Legolas walked back towards her and Mithdinen. "Wonderful fight! I must admit that I've never seen a move such as that executed so perfectly." She said, inclining her head towards the Half-Noldor. "Where exactly did you pick that one up? On one of your travels perhaps?" She wondered.

Elenlin laughed "It's really amazing what you do when you get desperate... especially when there's a pack of wargs after you."

"Oh, so you're comparing me to wargs now?!" Legolas jokingly butted in.

After swatting the ellon away, the Half-Silvan continued. "Yes, it's something that the road taught me; but it took quite a bit of training to even get it correct again."

Elenlin went for a cool drink of water while her friends continued to talk. She was so excited about sparring with Mallenwen, that she failed to notice the sound of thick breath comming from the the surrounding forest or the eyes that were watching her every move through the trees.

Mallenwen turned toward Elenlin. "Now then..."

"Im ready if you are!" chimed the Rivendell elleth.

The two began to slowly circle in the sparring arena, each carefully studying their opponent.

Just as they locked swords, the Lorien elleth tensed up. "Elenlin, there's something behind you!" she whispered in Elvish.

"Circle again, so that I can get a good look at it." The two backed off, and pretended to continue assessing each other.

The hazel eyes found a pair of red ones. "Legolas!!" she yelled in a mostly calm manner. "Ethir!!"
While pretending to study her knife, she continued to instruct the Prince to the enemy's position. "Downwind, to the left. Aim low."

Moments later, all were gathered around a dead orc of very small stature. A large "X" had been branded on his forehead.

((my turn to apologize! im sooo sorry this took so long! :blush: :blush: i hope we can get this thing back up to speed again soon ))
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 17, 2006 06:36
((OOC: Hey Aranel! *hugs tight* Don't worry about it. I must also apologise I feel, I have not been here either. I got caught up in various other forums and hobbies. Apologies... =D ))

Elenlin laughed "It's really amazing what you do when you get desperate... especially when there's a pack of wargs after you."

Moderator's note
This thread doesn't meet the criteria for being in the Totally Tolkien forum, as explained in the'One Rule' thread above and is to be moved to the TR forum

"Oh, so you're comparing me to wargs now?!" Legolas jokingly butted in.

Mallenwen smiled, "Ah yes I suppose you would be quite desperate if faced by a whole group of wargs. I've been lucky enough to only face them a few times on my journey, I shall have to remember that move you just pulled off for a later meeting with those horrid creatures..." She laughed at Legolas respsonse. 'Everyone is so relaxed and friendly around here.'

"Im ready if you are!" chimed the Rivendell elleth.

"Well then of course I am ready!" The Lorien elf replied with a smile. She walked over to the sparring circle, and drew her sword. 'Last time I was sparring like this it was back at Lothlorien with Haldir...' she thought wistfully, before finally snapping out of it, and turning her attention back to Elenlin. She slowly circled her "opponent" before they finally clashed swords, and the sound of steel on steel could be heard ringing across the arena.

Suddenly, in just the blink of an eye, the elleth noticed movement. She tensed up slightly as she saw the trees rustle ever so slightly, and she caught a glimse of a creature. Whatever it was... it definitely was not an elf. "Elenlin, there's something behind you!" she whispered in Elvish.

"Circle again, so that I can get a good look at it." The two backed off, and pretended to continue assessing each other.

Mallenwen moved around nonchantely (sp?), backing away slightly, as if she was simply waiting and deciding when the opportune moment to parry again was. She saw Elenlin get a look at the creature, and knew straight away that she'd seen it fully.

"Legolas!!" she yelled in a mostly calm manner. "Ethir!!"
While pretending to study her knife, she continued to instruct the Prince to the enemy's position. "Downwind, to the left. Aim low."

Mallenwen behaved as normally as possible, out of the corner of her eye, watching as Prince Legolas was told where the enemy was. Just a few seconds later, they found themselves all gathering around a very short and dead orc. One thing that was evident immediately was the large X on his forehead. She looked at the others, “What do you suppose that means?” She muttered, deep in thought, gesturing to the X, “Have you ever seen anything as such?” She asked.

Moderator's note
This thread doesn't meet the criteria for being in the Totally Tolkien forum, as explained in the'One Rule' thread above and is to be moved to the TR forum

[Edited on 20/8/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Teciltur
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 08:56
Mithdínen felt slightly nauseous when he looked upon the dead orc. He had never seen one this close before, let alone dead, and even though he knew full well that a live orc would do its best to kill him, he felt strangely sorry for this one.

She muttered, deep in thought, gesturing to the X, “Have you ever seen anything as such?” She asked.
Mithdínen cleared his throat carefully. "I believe that's supposed to be two crossed swords," he said after having assured himself that they were listening to him. "It's a mark used by many Mordorian tribes nowadays, according to ranger reports. They brand it into the skin, but most have it on the arm or chest." The thought of having something branded into his skin had always made Mithdínen slightly queasy, but seeing for himself how it really looked…

"I've never seen an orc like this," the prince said, and gave the corpse a kick. Mithdínen's stomach turned slightly. As he saw the elves' expressions he realised he must be very pale. He took half a step backwards.

"Yes, orcs, especially Mordorian ones, are generally of a bulky build…" His voice failed him as the corpse twitched slightly. He tried to remember what he had been saying, and what he had intended to continue with. Then he heard a shout from somewhere behind him, and turned around. An elf was running forwards, carrying a great bow. He held an arrow to the string, but had not yet pulled the string back. The newcomer and prince Legolas began talking quietly with one another, and although Mithdínen could not hear what they said, he noticed that they were both speaking very swiftly.

"Are you all right?" one of the ellith asked softly. Mithdínen turned his head towards them, to see whom it was that had spoken, but he could not tell this from their concerned faces.

"I'm… Yes, I'm all right," he said. "I've never seen a dead orc before, that's all." He glanced towards the corpse again. "Never seen an orc at all, actually," he added.

"My friends," prince Legolas said, and Mithdínen turned towards him, as did the ellith. "This must make father hold that meeting now! We should probably get back inside right now."

Mithdínen noticed that Elenlin nodded with a grave expression on her face, and Mallenwen seemed equally resolute. The four began walking back towards the doorway through which they had come out onto the sparring grounds. The young man noticed that he could hear birds singing, even after what had passed. That surprised him slightly.

Thranduil was striding rapidly back and forth across the room, frowning and muttering to himself. He suddenly stopped and turned towards the others.
"This is unheard of!" he said violently. Mithrandir sat quiet on his chair and nodded slowly.
"It is, Thranduil, but you need to calm down," the wizard said.
"Calm down?!"
"Yes, calm down. This is not the time to lose your head. An orc has found its way into the very heart of your realm. What do you need to do?"
Thranduil glared at the wizard for a moment. "I need to figure out how. Erurainion!"
"Yes, your highness?" the captain of the palace guard said attentively.
"Get a few hunters to track the orc backwards. I want to know how, and when, it came here, and if possible, why."
"Yes, my lord." Erurainion bowed and left hurriedly. Thranduil remained standing for a while, then sat down at the head of the table, with Gandalf on his righthand side.
"You have told me many things, Gandalf," the elven king said in a sombre tone, "and my sentries reported to me that trouble was stirring in the south even before you lot brought tidings of it here. What is it that you want me to do, Gandalf?"
"Firstly, write a letter to Lothlórien. Let them know what has happened here."
"Fine, I will do that as soon as we are done here."
"Secondly, I suggest you call all able-bodied elves to arms. How soon do you think you can have them assembled?"
"Armed and ready for battle? Within two days. Gathered in any one place? No more than a week."
Gandalf nodded slightly and glanced towards the others, sitting along the table's other side. He caught Mithdínen's eye, and the young human looked down onto the table. The old wizard said nothing. After a moments silence Mithdínen cleared his throat slightly, in order to acquire the elven king's attention.
"Yes?" Thranduil said, without letting his face reveal what he thought.
"If I have understood things correctly..." Mithdínen slowly began, "...then the plan is to cause a strife between your kingdom and the realm of Lothlórien." He fell silent, awaiting confirmation. When it did not come, he continued anyway, but felt slightly uneasy. "Then would it not be best to arrange for a password, so that messengers can avoid getting killed by sentries? It's only a suggestion..." he added and fell silent. Thranduil stroked his chin and watched the human closely. After a while he spoke, without taking his eyes of the young man.
"You never fail to surprise me, Mithrandir," he said. "Yet after this long, I ought to have grown used to it. Your suggestion is a wise one, master Mithdínhir, and I shall make it so." He rose from his chair and nodded slightly towards the rest of the assembled company before he left. Mithdínen sat quiet without looking directly at anyone. The door leading towards king Thranduil's quarters closed, and the room became quiet.

((OOC: I'm sorry I've taken so long with this one... I hope it's okay. ))
Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 03:43
Elenlin listened carefully to Mithdínen's explanation while trying to figure things out. He's right. This orc is definately from Mordor. Smells like it... yuck. But it is an unfamiliar breed.... probably half breed. Mordor must have been more busy than we thought. The crossed swords must be another mark of Mortathar, since it has only been seen recently....

The newcommer jolted Elenlin out of her thoughts. It was Ran! She wanted to give the ellon a smile, but his face was drawn with worry as well. The half Noldo was listening to his discussion with Legolas when she heard Mallenwen's question.

"Are you all right?" the Lorien elleth asked

"I'm… Yes, I'm all right," said Mithdínen "I've never seen a dead orc before, that's all." He glanced towards the corpse again. "Never seen an orc at all, actually," he added.

"Im sorry for the rude awakening my friend. I fear you may see many more much worse than these, the way things are going." Elenlin said softly

"My friends," prince Legolas said, as they all turned towards him. "This must make father hold that meeting now! We should probably get back inside right now."

Yes it surely will, though I am sorry it had to come to this, mellon nín. He will be even more upset than origionally expected... and that wasn't going to be a party to begin with.

When they reached the room where the Woodland King held his councils, everyone seated themselves at a long table. Elenlin sat between Mallenwen and Mithdínen, and across from Glorfindel. She loved her position because she communicate with all of her friends without ever having to speak.

Then Thranduil strode in, having obviously just recieved the news. Elenlin had sat through several of his rantings before, so she was prepared for the king's mood. What she wasn't prepared for, was how much Gandalf could calm Thranduil down; in her opinion, it was an amazing sight.

When Mithdínen stood and gave his proposition about the password, Elenlin was very impressed. She turned and gave a wink at Mallenwen, who nodded in return.

When Thranduil had left, Elenlin congradulated the human.
"Well done, Mithdínen. A brilliant idea, if I may say so." she said with a kind smile

After he responded, the elleth of Rivendell turned to the rest of the group. "So, what do you propose we do now? Do we wait, or do we leave? And if we wait, how long? If we leave, where do we go?"

((sorry that this was kinda short... but the last question makes room for much longer posts lol! it's sooo good to post here again! ))
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email