Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post QOTW Dec19 05- 2.II. Aldaron and Erendis
on: December 19, 2005 01:19
It happened on A time that Veantur said to his grandson: 'Anardilya, the spring is drawing nigh; and also the day of your full age' (for in that April Aldarion would be twenty-five years old). 'I have in mind a way to mark it fittingly. My own years are far greater, and i do not think that I shall often again have the heart to leave my fair house and the blest shores of Numenor; but once more at least I would ride the Great sea and face the North wind and the East. This year you shall come with me and we will go to Mithlond and se the tall blue mountains of Middle-earth and the green land of the Eldar at their feet. A good welcome you will find from Cirdan the Shipwright and from King Gil-Galad. Speak of this to your father.'

major point- It could be argued that this trip was the most important event, and a major turning point, in Middle-earth history. It led to a permanent Numenorian presence in Middle-earth, the establishment of colonies, and ultimately to direct conflict with Sauron, which eventually led to the final destruction of Numenor and it even started the groundwork that led to the establishment of Gondor and Arnor, the Kingdoms in Exile.

minor point- Just in passing we discover, in this quote, that Numenorians came of age at 25. This interesting in that in many modern lands , we come at age at 18 or 21, whereas Tolkien's peoples had to mature a bit more before they could take on adult responsibilities.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: QOTW Dec19 05- 2.II. Aldaron and Erendis
on: December 24, 2005 05:15
"No man can have 2 wives" King Menulder telling Turin he must choose between Erendis or the sea.

A tough choice for a man who loves both the sea and Erendis! It seems he tried to love both, but it apparently didn't work out because Erendis hated the sea and Turin loved the sea more then her. (Remember the lengthy journeys he took after his marriage?)
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: QOTW Dec19 05- 2.II. Aldaron and Erendis
on: May 23, 2006 01:09
I guess that if it wasn't for this journey, completely different things would have taken place instead. Therefore, the entire concept of what happened later to Numenor and the events that lead to the War of the Ring, all revolve around this journey, made in 600 of the Second Age.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post QOTW Dec19 05- 2.II. Aldaron and Erendis
on: July 08, 2023 02:22
PotbellyHairyfoot said:major point- It could be argued that this trip was the most important event, and a major turning point, in Middle-earth history. It led to a permanent Numenorian presence in Middle-earth, the establishment of colonies, and ultimately to direct conflict with Sauron, which eventually led to the final destruction of Numenor and it even started the groundwork that led to the establishment of Gondor and Arnor, the Kingdoms in Exile.

I always had the impression that Númenórean presence in the west of Middle Earth began well before this. This would be a point where Aldarion and his father Tar-Meneldur increased their presence. It was Vëantur, the Captain of the King's Ships under Tar-Elendil, Aldarion's grandfather, who first led ships to Middle Earth.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email