Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
Post RE: Costumes - Elves
on: February 29, 2012 07:37
I am making an elven dress for The Hobbit! I just got the material I will be making it out of, and would like to post my work as it slowly is done. I am not the greatest sewer so it is good that I have all year to work on it!

The main part of the dress is maroon colored, and it will have silver sleeves and sash. I am excited about making it, and equally excited about wearing it to see The Hobbit!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
Post Re: Costumes - Elves
on: March 15, 2012 09:13
I hope it's ok if I double post, it has been a couple weeks.

Here is my concept drawing for the dress I am making.

CLICKY!

I already have the material, just actually finished washing them (since I found it at a thrift store).
The "red" is actually maroon, and the "grey" is silver.
I wanted to keep the sleeves at a 3/4 length, as I personally don't like full length sleeves. They would be too big for me, especially if they are going to be more flowing.

What do yall think? One thing I am unsure of is the placement of the sash. Should i have it where it is now (underneath the bust), or down on the waist (Eowyn style)? Only concern is the decorum on the top of the dress, don't want the sash looking silly!
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 17, 2012 10:00
I'm curious as to how the dress turns out Eruceninde. The concept looks good! Concerning the placing of the sash, I'd say the main question is whether you would prefer to highlight the bosom, or the waist. A sash placed around the waist looks better on a curvy body, while to make oneself appear taller, a below-the-bust sash is the better solution. So it's really up to you.
Keep up the good work!
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Elanor_the_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2012 09:45
o.o I'm making a costume too! I'm making a Maglor costume based off an artist's interpretation. I just made the cloak today (it was a bear but it looks great). However, I'm having a hard time finding the correct ribbon type thing to create the trim. I'm looking for something similar to a vine but no such luck at the stores...Suppose I'll have to google it. Although I'm a girl, I'm excited about this costume as it's the first that i'll be sewing without the help of my mother. I'll be sure to post pictures, it should be done next month sometime.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 18, 2012 09:26
Thanks noleme! Everyone I have talked to seems to think that I should keep the sash right below the bust. I am also a short person, so I think that would compliment me better.

Elanor: sounds great! can't wait to see pictures! I am not sure I know what kind of trim you are talking about, I have always just used plain ribbon if I trimmed in that way. I hope you find what you are looking for!
ArwenElfMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2012 01:41
does anyone know of a good pattern or tutorial to use for making Arwen's riding dress? or not nescisarrily the specific dress, just an elvish-looking dress with the split skirt for riding. A pattern would be fine, but a online tutorial or printable pattern would work fine too. preferably free I'm thinking about going in costume to the midnight showing of the Hobbit movie, and I love the elven riding style. thanks

EDIT: I drew some concept art of the dress I'd really like to make, but I'm not sure if it will show it here. if the picture doesn't pop up, can someone say how to insert a pic into a comment? Image
"What are we holding onto, Sam?" "That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo. and it's worth fighting for."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2012 10:21
I couldn't find just a plain pattern for you ArwenElfMaiden, but I found some websites that might help.
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen/Chase.htm
http://www.thevlecks.net/rmj/costuming/arwen.html
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/

I can't see the pic you posted. Look at the top of your comment box and you should see several icons. Mouse over them until you get to "image". Click on it, and insert the url of your pic in between the the little boxes that come up.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: November 24, 2012 02:27
The links Eruwestiel posted are probably the best ones out there. You can also try asking the fan who made this chase outfit - http://sam4uk.deviantart.com/art/Arwen-s-Chase-Outfit-184931687?q=gallery%3Atolkien%2F11068290&qo=118 . They still seem to respond to questions. One of our members was also working on the chse dress (viz the previous page of this thread). From their report, it seems like it's a rather complicated outfit to make, taking about a month to create.
Good luck with choosing and making your outfit!

The image isn't loading for me either. Do you have your image wrapped in the [img] codes?
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: November 28, 2012 01:43
Another link to Arwen's chase dress, which the costume creator published just yesterday - http://celticruins.deviantart.com/art/Evenstar-of-Her-People-340184897
Apparently, this artist also has a facebook page where you can read, or ask them, about how the costume was made.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 28, 2012 09:24
That is beautiful! I wish I could make that myself.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2012 10:50
I'm working on making more elf garb. Though it will be somewhat based off of what the new character in the Hobbit Tauraniel, wears. But also through what I think Mirkwood elves (the female warriors) would wear. I'm trying to keep it done up so I can fight in it since I play Dagorhir, which is similar to a LARP but it's more about the fighting rather than RPing. But I do have a nice feast garb that looks similar to this.... http://cdn100.iofferphoto.com/img/item/986/538/67/FmhgpZZ8qjrII7C.jpg I'll see about getting a good picture of that and some of my normal garb. And I need more garb! (Hopefully I'll be able to make some that I can wear day to day too!)
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2012 01:47
I'm planning on making one for The Hobbit premier, but I don't have enough fabric, skill or time! Maybe I can throw together a simple, elegant Galadriel-ish dress in time I already have the long blonde hair and prosthetic ears, sooo... I'll try to post pix if I ever get it done.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2012 04:32
Yeah, its about like that with me too, except that I don't have elf ears. I found a pattern that looks pretty simple that I and my sister are going to try to make, if we can get our sowing machine to work.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 04:44
Finally got my costume done!!

The colors are maroon and silver, in case it isn't clear.

Click here!

My sister-in-law and two of my brother-in-laws are also making costumes, I will post up pics when we are done with them!
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2012 03:41
Woah, that looks AWESOME Eruce!! Really great job!!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2012 09:52
WOW! That's Beautiful! /bow
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 08:20
Very cool Erucenindë!
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2012 02:08
Awesome
Elanor_the_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2012 05:31
I never fully completed my costume, I will see about uploading one of the like...2 pictures of it that exist...I need a photographer.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 10:32
Beautiful costume! I love the rich crimson colour. I think the Elves have the most wonderful dresses
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2012 07:18
Well, if Aragorn16Estel or I were there, we could take your photograph. We both take pictures lol
eowynarwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Cosplay Hints/Patterns
on: June 29, 2013 07:27
Hey guys! So my friend and I are going to DoS for her birthday, and we wanted to go in costume as elves. Buying one isn't feasible for us (we have no reliable source of income, as we're 13 ) so I wanted to check if you all know any good sites with patterns! I've already tried Alley Cat Scratch. We want the costumes to be screen-accurate, for LotR or AUJ.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
I'm going to move this thread to the Creations Forum.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
~nólemë~
Send Message
And I'll merge it with our already existing thread on Elf costumes in a few days. :]

Hello EowynArwen, here in the Fan Creations forum we have some gifted costume makers among us (they know who they are ), so you're in the right place to ask about self-made costumes. In the meantime, you can see this Elf costume thread to see what patterns and designs our members use for their own costumes. Good luck with your cosplay!
Foedhrass
Council Member
Send Message
*dusts down this thread*

I thought I'd share a few photos of my Ambarussa/Amras cosplay.
close-up
full costume
the back side and
"Ambarussa riding to war"

You can find a lot more photos (also WIP) on my blog or my Facebook page.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
That's a pretty full-on costume Foedhrass! I especially like the one where you're on the horse!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email