Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Where is home?
on: June 01, 2007 09:55
Daenion nodded, motioning in a general direction; "It is best we continue South until we reach almost even with Caradhras, then go East. It is not too far of a journey from here, though it will take longer on foot. Perhaps a week and a half if we are not halted or delay..."

Looking around, the Dark Elf packed his things, such as they were, making sure the sword at his hip was easily accessed; he did not fear any danger, but after last night, the thoughts through his head and the conversation with Liniel, he felt the need to ensure it's access if needed.

This day of travelling was different than the last, for now, Daenion led the front. It rang awkward with him, particularly since the other two were relying on him as a sort of guide. It wasn't entirely necessary at this point, apart from his knowledge of trails; South was South. However, Daenion now felt the journey was slightly in his hands, and he loathed the feeling. He was a follower, not a leader. But he took the position without hesitance, for such was his way. Hesitance meant in battle, and contrary to popular opinion, life was a battle, at least to Daenion. He took the leading position in line without a word.

((don't know if you want to take us all the way to Moria in one post, or if you want to draw it out more; whatever you'd like to do))
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2007 05:11
((skipping to Moria would probably a good idea))

The week went by quickly with no complications. Not much was said, but Liniel didn't mind, she just wanted to get this part of the journey over with and head to Rohan.

They were just an hour or two away from the gate. Liniel was carefully watching her step on the more rocky ground. Daenion still led the way, Liniel could only guess what was going through his mind. She usually didn't try to either.

As they drew ever nearer, she asked.

"Daenion, do you know how to enter Moria?"

Liniel wasn't sure if they would have to pass some guards, speak a password, or whatever to enter the mountain, and she was curious to know ahead of time. Nothing bad had happened to them yet, she wanted to keep it that way.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2007 10:21
((okay, sounds good))

Danion did not turn, continuing forward with a small smile; "Aye, there is a password. We shall pass through the Doors of Durin, which Celebrimbor fashioned runes for." He did not know how much Liniel knew of the dwarves, Celebrimbor, or Moria itself, and so he continued, briefly describing, though not in too much detail so as not to insult if she did ken. "...Narvi the dwarf made the doors themselves, but Celebrimbor worked the ithildin letters on them, so the password is elvish..."

In a moment of curiosity, he stated, "Perhaps it is best to wait until we get there, and we can decipher them." He was almost certain he remembered the password, but wanted to see if the others could guess. "Celebrimbor was always one for intrigue. Sometimes too much."

They approached where Daenion understood the gates to be; and then, after ascending a small cliff, they stood to find a great lake encompassing the small valley before the doors. Daenion's brows furrowed in concern, but the elf said nothing. Glancing to the two others, he found Liniel giving him a strange look, but decided not to ask. He continued on around the lake.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2007 01:01
Liniel paused to look over the lake, but then quickly moved to catch up to Daenion. So it was a password they had to figure out. Daenion sounded like he knew it, but she could be wrong. Liniel just hoped it wouldn't take them too long to find out the word.

As they continued, Liniel sighed somewhat, just slightly tired from all the walking. She glanced at the water again, not realizing she was making a face at the murky pool. In her distraction she tripped somewhat, and gasped, but quickly caught herself by grabbing a near by boulder. She regained her composure, though slightly blushing, and continued, making sure she watched her step.

Liniel couldn't help but feel childish in her friends presence. Try as she might to act grown-up and dignified, Liniel still had a lot of childishness left in her. She was considered an adult now, but that didn't take away the fact that she was still young in her heart.

Pushing the feeling aside, Liniel soon spotted the two trees in front of the Moria gate.

"I cannot see the gates though," she thought out loud, "it just looks like the rest of the rock wall."
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2007 08:36
Daenion nodded in agreement. "Aye, ithildin. We should rest until nightfall--the weather has been clear, so we should be able to see the letters tonight. They appear only under moonlight, and starlight. A mix of mithril and what some would call elven magic..."

Liniel intrigued him. At times she could be solemn, almost cross, and then others she seemed as a curious elfling in a world of wonder. The young always take themselves so seriously, Daenion mused, then caught himself: But then, do not also the old? He did not know. Age had taught him many things, the greatest of these being that he knew very little.

"Let us rest by the doors--I do not like the feel of that pool;" he gestured in the direction of the water. "It wasn't here the last I visited...But that was many years ago."
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2007 04:56
Liniel smiled somewhat as he explained that they needed the moon to uncover the gates. Magical things like that always brought out her curiosity and excitement.

She quickly agreed to sitting further away from the water. She made herself comfortable as she could, and fully took in her surroundings. So much cold rock instead of trees or open fields made her slightly unnerved. But she knew she would have to get use to it if she was going to be in a mine.

After a few minutes of silence between them, Liniel had to say something to make the waiting seem faster.

"Seeing as how we have quiet awhile until night," she began, "how about we strike up a conversation to get to know each other better?" she suddenly blew a short black strand of hair out of her face, "Daenion, any good, happy memories to share?" she smiled encouragingly.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2007 01:26
The question startled him. Of all the things in Aman, she asked of memories; obviously not a strong point for him or her. But he had noted her shifting and uncomfortability in the silence, and accommodated.

"...Happy memories..." he mused, trying to think with a small frown. It had been long since he had thought on them, those that were there to have. Then it came.

"...I recall one morning in the woods, when Aredhel, my master's wife, attempted to bake a pie for the first time. She was a high-born lady, you know, and not accustomed to looking after cooking and such matters for herself..." His usually sombre face lightened as he surpressed a chuckle. "...I walked in, and young Master Maeglin was covered head to foot in flour, scowling like the Darkness itself, and the High Lady was laughing so hard she ended up falling into it as well, and the strawberry mash she passed for jelly..." Daenion was grinning now in recollection; the young Master whose face always seemed just a bit too tight-drawn in a frown, like his father. Looking back upon that moment, seeing the little boy covered in flour again, Daenion wondered how things had fallen so ill, how the once happy family had disentigrated into betrayal.

Looking to the woman, he smiled, "And you? Any such incidents? I daresay with siblings there would be a few."
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2007 02:11
Liniel giggled and smiled at the story, glad to hear Daenion chuckle. She thought for awhile digging through her own memories.

"Well... one time we were traveling through Rohan in winter. So obviously the snow was a few feet high. Dan and Mil had just had another fight," she sighed but smiled, "and weren't speaking. As we walked along suddenly my leg got caught in the snow. So then those two were arguing on who was going to help me out," she rolled her eyes, "Eventually, they both lunged for me, and pull me out harder than what was needed. So I come flying up!" she waved her arms up, "Snow is everywhere! Dan and Mil are wrestling and shouting at each other. Fed up, I throw a snowball at them. It hits Dan right on the head." she laughed, "We all stop, then suddenly," Liniel tried to keep her laughter under control, "Dan lets out this war cry, and the two of them tackle me," she finished dissolving into giggles.

Looking back up at Daenion, blushing slightly, once she calmed down, she sighed.

"I do hope I find them," she commented, then was quiet for a moment, just thinking, "Why don't you ask a question of me? I've asked mine, so now you have the chance."
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 10:50
He smiled slightly, more at her own amusement of the tale then the full-force of humour itself. "You should giggle more often, Lady," he noted. "It becomes you."

"Why don't you ask a question of me? I've asked mine, so now you have the chance."

Daenion considered this, curious. Ask her a question? She wanted him to ask? It was intriguing, interesting. Finally settling on one he hoped was not too personal, he asked, "Do you like Rivendell? Or even Middle Earth? Why have you not returned to Valinor?" He held his breath--he had received more than one reprimand at asking this question, from others; but Liniel did not seem as hostile as many he had spoken with.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 11:45
Liniel wasn't quite expecting a question like that, but at least it was a good one. He seemed very good at making her search her soul. Liniel thought for a moment trying to sort out her feelings.

"In general," she began, "Rivendell is a lovely place, they don't call it the Homely House for nothing, even though some may not agreed with the title," she smiled at Daenion a little, "And I really don't call it home anymore either. There's nothing there for me anymore. I have a few relatives there, yes, but we're not close anymore. They're strangers to me now," she paused, "Middle Earth, well, I still need to discover it. I still want to see and learn the cultures. I feel like I've only seen bits and pieces of this land. I'm not ready for Valinor yet. "

She sighed a little, glancing at her hands and fiddling with her nails. Liniel looked up at the setting sun then said somewhat softly.

"I assume you're not ready for Valinor either," she smirked, "or is Valinor not ready for you?"
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 07:16
Daenion paused at the question: was he ready for Valinor? It seemed to him he had been exiled for an eternity, whether simply by himself or by the feeling of others towards him, mayhap the very denial of the Valar themselves he sensed. He had not pondered in a long time, if he could take a ship, if the Valar would accept him, would he go?

"I am a wanderer," he admitted. "I have no home, and have known no home since the Second Kinslaying....I am used to wandering." Smirking slightly, he glanced over, "I don't think I could stand the place; especially if it is aught like Lothlorien...Time seems to stand still there, you know. It drives a person mad; you think you have rested for a night, and you wake to find a fortnight has passed. I do not think I could restrain myself to a place such as that." He did not speak it, but he had secretly harboured the idea that once all the elves were gone from the Middle Lands, it would be better. Once Elrond had passed into the West, and his children, and his house, and even Galadriel Lady of Light--Lady of Light indeed! Lady of Secrets! Lady of Pity!--once they had passed away, Daenion could rest in peace here, in Middle Earth. He silently awaited the day. "I am not ready, no...Nor are they ready for me, if they ever will be."

As the last rays of sunlight sunk below the distant horizon, he searched for the moon: it was rising.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 11:43
Liniel listened to his explanation and nodded.

"I think we have something in common then," she smiled, "We are travelers, who want excitement in our lives, instead of the droning peace of Valinor."

As the moon finally showed itself in the black blue sky, its silver rays touched the mountain side. There appeared the engravings shinning brightly. Liniel stood, just gazing at the beautiful design.

"Would you look at that," she whispered then glanced at Daenion, "You said something about a password?" she said curiously, looking at the words on the great doors.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 10:07
Daenion stood before the doors of Moria, taking it in; it had been many years since he had travelled here, and the sight took his breath away. What the Noldor could create, when they bent their minds to it...

"A password? Yes, if you read the inscription, I believe, it should say something about..." His voice trailed off, trying to discern the script and it's meaning; he was pleased when it read like he remembered, and knew he had the password.

"You see?" he asked, pointing. "Pedo mellon a minno. Speak, friend, and enter. That's the only clue we have..." He turned to her. "Any ideas, Lady Liniel?"

Some may call Daenion a monster, some may call him cruel and manipulative, but these were not his true qualities; he was merely curious. Curious what sort of people he was travelling with, what sort of intelligence they had about them, how they thought. He saw this gate as an oppurtunity to gather more information about Liniel and understand her better, and so he stood back as she attempted to discover the secret.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2007 04:02
Liniel stood there for a moment just pondering the small phrase. Her green eyes gazed up at the glowing words, head somewhat tilted, her arms folded, and her legs slightly apart. A true thinking stance ...

"Well," she finally spoke, "It could mean if you are a friend of the place you should know the password, speak it and enter without trouble," she said rather scholarly, "but, it could also mean, literally say the word friend, for that is the password, and enter."

Liniel smiled a little, placing her hands on her hips.

"Now if I had a 'magic' door with a password to my house," she looked up and down at the gates, "I would only give the password to those I trusted," she paused, "but eventually I would probably have to tell it to others, then it would get around anyway, so why not just put it on the doors in a clever way so it would not be easy for everyone to enter, but they still could if they are smart enough."

She then turned to Daenion with a small smile.

"So my conclusion is, say friend and we shall enter," she looked back at the sliver lined gates, running a hand through her short hair, "What about you Lord Daenion?"
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2007 08:48
Daenion smiled slightly, and nodded. "Aye, I believe you have it right. Shall we?"

When his companion indicated the affirmative, Daenion stepped forward to the enchanted doors, admiring their beauty once more before speaking the word he knew to be correct: "Mellon."

The ancient gateway ed, then began to open outward just as a sound was heard from behind. Daenion turned quickly to find the lake surface rippling, and a fear unnamed overtook him; "Through the Gate!" he urged, grabbing his pack and hurrying into the darkness. If he was right, there should be torches on the left wall; in the light of the moon, he could just barely make out their presence. He saw Liniel following just as the gates began to close, and in an instant, they were plunged into darkness.

LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2007 07:27
Liniel was somewhat confused at Daenion's sudden urgency. She took a moment to look behind her as well, then also noticed the disturbed water. She heard the gates rumbling to a close and quickly slipped in after Daenion.

As the darkness engulfed her, she blinked rapidly to try and unsuccessfully adjust her eyes. It made her uneasy, not knowing where she was. It was also rather cold, and Liniel continually shivered.

"I ... I think I have some flint to start a fire, but I'm not sure," she began to feel through her bag for the rock like object, "A torch-like object would be helpful as well," she said more softly not liking the way her voice echoed.

Eventually Liniel came upon her flint and tinderbox and carefully set to work on making fire. Soon the sparks caught and a tiny fire burned on the tinder.

"There, that's somewhat better," she commented, her body slowly relaxing from its tense state.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email