Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Mirkwood, always Mirkwood
on: September 19, 2006 07:26
Durhen glanced at Raug, then said, "Courage? No, I am doing this because...because I want revenge. You do know that Colleril is not my real father. He took me in after my parent's deaths. They were murdered by orcs, and I couldn't do anything, I was to young. But I can do something now." Durhen didn't even blink as he said this.

Colleril nodded to Ardinlas, and walked back to where his adopted so was. He felt so lost, he wanted to hlp Durhen, to have the boy trust him, but he didn't trust many people. He had never forgiven himself for his parent's deaths, blaming himself. Colleril leaned against a wooden beam, listening to the talk in silence.
Olvne_Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2006 03:52
(ooc: I think I see a way in! here goes nothing)

As Ardinlas begain to move threw the nearby forest, a Ranger of the North rode in from the very same woods. The faint sound of links of chain rattled along with the sword and scabbered as the mount came to a stop before the Elvish city. Although he did not appear uncomfortable, it was easy to tell that horseback was not his perfered method of travel. He pulled his horse alongside Ardinlas' and motioned a greeting.

Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2006 07:04
Reya regarded Durhen with a frown, not used to people being so open about their past; even though she could relate to his feelings. "You know," she said at last, "revenge is not always the answer ... But I am glad you are coming, and I hope you find what it is you seek." She fell silent for a moment. "Now I really do have to take my leave. I must gather my things, and speak to someone before we go." Without awaiting answer, the girl left the room, her long gown sweeping the dirty stable-floor behind her.

((you guy's just finish whatever you need to do before they leave, and i'll bring her back then))
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 20, 2006 07:32
Ardinlas was slightly startled to see a horse pull up beside her. The horse's rider greeted her with a gesture, and Ardinlas nodded in turn. "Your name, sir?" she whispered softly so that only the rider could hear. Her sharp eyes scrutinized the surroundings with attention to every detail. Shadow pawed the ground impatiently. Ardinlas stroked his neck and felt an unknown apprehension creep up her spine. Something was not right, even though the fact existed that there was a darkness in the air, an evil stirring one could say.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Olvne_Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2006 05:18
"Dindraug son of Tarcil", the man replied in a more conversational tone, his voice only quiteted by the aprehension in the other's voice. He watched her for a second, before continuing. "You seem as though you expect the very darkness of the woods to strike you at any second. Has ill befalen this land?"

Wolf turned his mount and followed Ardinlas' eyes to the woods, seeking out what ever it was that seemed to have the other so occupied.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2006 05:24
((i regret to inform everyone that i must be leaving indefinitely--this will be my last post until and if i get a chance to return. anyone feel free to take up my characters.))

Raug wasn't quite sure how to respond to Durhen's admission: many had lost loved ones to orcs and goblins, spiders, even the coming darkness that had been growing in the south.

"I suppose you have a good reason, then," he acknowledged, leaning against a stall-post. "But the Lady Reya is right. Don't go looking for trouble out of anger. It makes a driving force inside that often you are not able to quench when you most need it to pass."

On a lighter note, he offered, "But that's enough talk for one day--let's get you to those orcs. I doubt they'll know what hit them," he added with a smile.

+++++++++++++

Borion stood in the inner bailey courtyard, watching horses champ at the bits, shift unsteadily. A dark was over the group like a fog, a deep sense of forboding. Borion was simply glad he would not be going with them.

"Take care," Borion said, approaching Raug and his steed.

Surprised, Raug offered, "You too, I suppose."

"I was talking to the horse."

With a smile, Raug extended his hand, and Borion shook it.

"Just don't get yourself eaten," the one staying advised.

And Raug caught the slightest hint of concern in Borion's voice; strangely, it pleased him. At least someone would miss him if he didn't return; although, it wasn't like he was marching into a battle. He tried to laugh to himself--more like a walk in the forest, only with spiders. And other things. "I'll try to remember that. If I have time."

And then the group was gone.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2006 10:27
Durhen smiled back at Raug, he would miss him that was certain.
"But the Lady Reya is right. Don't go looking for trouble out of anger. It makes a driving force inside that often you are not able to quench when you most need it to pass."

"I shall take both yours and the lady's advice." He said nodding his head.
"But that's enough talk for one day--let's get you to those orcs. I doubt they'll know what hit them,"

Durhen actually laughed, and for Colleril, who was listening nearby, it was llike music from Valinor to his ears. "I shall certainly enjoy that moment. Nemariea, mellon nin."
The group departed leaving Raug behind. Yes Durhen would miss him. And he felt his own doom approaching in the forest as he watched his friend vanish to the fog and mists.

OOC:
"The road goes ever on and on,
Down from the door where it began,
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow it if I can.
Persuing it with eager feet,
Until I find some larger way,
Where many paths and errads meet,
And wither then I can not say."
-Bilbo Baggins, The road goes on.
We'll miss you pitya!
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2006 05:28
((ehm..what's going on? is Raug coming, or not? maybe i've misread something, but pityas post says he is, while manstrals says he isn't.. so, well..?))
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: September 27, 2006 10:42
(Not sure.)

Ardinlas glanced at Dindraug. "I suppose you could say it did. There is something out there that we don't know much about. At the least, I don't." Her voice pitched an octave, even though she was whispering, and a fear like she had never felt before gripped her in its icy clutches.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2006 01:13
((hm..well, yeah. ))

As the group left the main road and turned towards the forests, Reya caught up with them. Her appearece had changed drastically and with the hood of her black cloak up, nothing but her arms could be seen. She steared her horse to the front of the group and stopped, looking up the hill towards Ardinlas and the newcomer. "Is that man coming too?" She asked the others in a hushed voice. Something about the stranger alerted her, but she couldn't put her finger on it.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 03, 2006 05:40
Ardinlas glared at Reya, her anger towards her still there. "I am not sure, but stay silent, for something lurks around here that I do not like." Shadow's ears flattened against his head, and he snorted and pawed the ground uneasily.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2006 09:25
Reya nodded slightly towards Ardinlas, resisting the urge to put her in her place- there was no use trying to explain that she was probably the last person who needed advice about how to bear herself in the wilderness.

The girl fell silent for a moment, scanning the terrain for something contrasting- something out of place. "We should get going... as fast as possible," she whispered, and without further hesitation rode off into dark trees, just slow enough for the others to follow. They had already wasted enough time.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 07:14
Ardinlas followed Reya on Shadow, determined to be equal with her. Shadow gained on Reya's borrowed horse. Feeling his mistress' tension, he trod carefully, instinctively avoiding dry leaves and twigs in order to avoid the chance of revealing their presence.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 09:00
Time passed slowly as the riders made their way through the thickening forest. The once bright and beautiful place had grown into likeness with Fangorn, and after a while no birds could be heard, no animals crossed their path and even the wind silenced. A strange mood fell over the company, a sombre feeling like in the days of old, before the Last Alliance and battle on the slopes of Mount Doom.

As they rode on, Reya studied Ardinlas' features carefully from beneath her hood. To be honest she neither understood the elf, nor favoured her in particular- pride was often a good thing, but even good things could be exaggerated. The girl shivered, and drew her cloak tighter around herself. When their trip started, the black fabric had looked misplaced among all the greens of Mirkwood, but now it blended perfectly giving needed cover from unwanted eyes.

[Edited on 4/10/2006 by Sana]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 03:57
Durhen and Colleril rode silently, neither liked the opessive feel of the forest. And among the group tensions seemed to be high. Colleril wondered how they would ever survive if they kept quarelling with each other. Durhen was only thinking that dager was around and that they were probably in more trouble then any suspected. He shuddered slightly and not with the cold.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 07:32
Ardinlas felt Reya's gaze on her. "I am a half-Elf," she said stiffly, barely moving her lips. Silence was best, but Ardinlas didn't want the scrutinization of anyone. "My mother was kin of Thranduil, and my father was one of the Dunedain." Her eyes stayed forward, ever alert of any movement or sound in the dense undergrowth.

[Edited on 10/6/2006 by Dinenlasse]
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 08:59
Reya regarded Ardinlas with a smile. "So that's why you don't seem like the rest of us, immortals." She threw back her hood automatically- most people liked to see who they were talking to. "And this ..." she hesitated a moment, "does explain your pride. You do have a lot to be proud of, not many can claim to be royalty. But even in your stead I would mind my words, m'lady; pride is a good thing, though arrogance is not." The girl spoke in a rather casual tone, not meaning to enrage Ardinlas utterly. And since arrogance was something she herself had been accused of not once, she felt it was her duty to inform the half-elf of pride's darker side.

[Edited on 10/10/2006 by Sana]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 12:53
Colleril glared at Reya at her confidence.
"Now I'm sure that she ment no harm by her words, Reya." He said sweetly, he smiled, but his eyes were harsh and angry.
Durhen looked over at Ardinlas, he would not have guessed that she was a half elf. He smiled.
"I think it would be...intriguing to be a half elf. At least then you don't have any one thing you are bound to. Freedom is good. And so what if you're royalty, no offence meaning, I think that you are a good friend. And that is the only thing that matters." Durhen sounded at that moment extreamly innocent and confident. He was being completely honest in his words. He hoped that the others would recognise this.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2006 04:09
Reya listened to Colleril without changing expression, being used to ungenuine smiles. "I do not speak of her words here in the forest, but to the way she responded when I offered you all my help in this matter- as if I was trying to teach her something she knew better than me." As she spoke, her expression turned harsh for the first time since their departure, gray eyes narrowing as she pulled the hood back up. And feeling no need to explain herself utterly, she ordered her horse to quicken pace, leaving the group some 30 feet behind.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 10, 2006 11:37
(I did edit the post where I misinterpreted the timeline...)

Anger pulsing through her veins, the niece of Thranduil flashed a quick smile of thanks towards Durhen then turned her attention to Reya. Ardinlas urged Shadow after Reya, his strides matching her mount's. "What you do not understand is that there is a difference between offering help as a friend and insulting people by acting haughty toward them. You acted as if you were superior to us, and that is what made me angry. I do not know more than you; I do not pretend to know more than anyone, but when someone comes around who does that-like you did-then there is some problem." Ardinlas knew that she shouldn't cause a feud, but her anger towards Reya was reaching its breaking point.

[Edited on 10/10/2006 by Dinenlasse]
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2006 01:13
Fierce moments passed. Reya understood that she had to be careful. Another second. Then finally, the girl spoke: "I am fully aware of how I have acted, and have apologized to all of you already. And my lady, I seek no quarrel with you, though I must admit that I have asked for your fury. But please, let us just find a safe place to spend the night. I promise, when we do, I'll even sword-fight you. But this is neither the time or the place."

And steering Shiana further ahead of the group, intended that she wanted to ride up front in solitude.

((okay, i feel that i have to say something: i didn't re-read my last posts until now, and my char's actually being mean(i don't say, huh?), so i wanna say that i'm sorry. i kinda exaggerated a bit.. :/))

[Edited on 11/10/2006 by Sana]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 12, 2006 10:38
(Don't worry about it at all!!! No offense to anyone, but I have enjoyed making Ardinlas mad...it is kind of fun to have some tension...at least it is to me.)

Ardinlas' anger finally burned down, and she turned Shadow around without a word. Looking back at Reya, she muttered, "I seek no quarrel with anyone, and I apologize for the way my pride spoke. My anger often gets the best of me." She rode towards Durhen and Colleril and sighed heavily, wishing that her temper wasn't so quick, nor her resentment of elves so great.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 12:29

Several hours had passed without anything significant happening. A pair of birds had flown out of nowhere, and disappeared just as fast, but no orc or other evil being had crossed the travelers' path. In her heart, Reya hoped that this was a good sign, but nothing was certain during these dark times.

As the sun set over the treetops, the company reached a clearing in the forest. In the middle of it, a small river ran with the clearest water they had seen in a long time. Reya dismounted her horse, and leaving it in the shadows of the trees, walked up to the river, and knelt before it. She bent down to the rivers bank, and drank several mouthfuls cold water. Wiping her mouth with the sleeve of her shirt, the girl returned to the others beneath the trees. "We'll camp here tonight, if none of you have objections."

((sorry for my earlier absence, but i'm back now.))

[Edited on 24/11/2006 by Sana]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 04:28
OOC: Wow, this is still running? Cool!
IC: Colleril adn Durhen looked at eachother before shrugging.
"I guess it is as good as any." Said Durhen.
The two proceded to set up a small camp, helping to gather firewood.
"Perhaps it would be wise to set up a watch." Suggested Colleril.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2006 11:39
Dropping the last heap of wood on the campground, Reya considered Colleril's suggestion. "Yes, a watch would be wise," she said at last, pulling down the package on Shiana's back with frozen fingers. "I could take the first watch, either way there will not be any sleep for me this night."

(())
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 27, 2006 02:36
Ardinlas inclined hre head in agreement. "I will take first watch, or whatever watch, depending on what you want to do. I have no objections to this place either." A chill settled around her, and the half-elf shuddered. Drawing her cloak around herself, she muttered, "I like not this feeling. Evil is around us, and it will only get worse."
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2006 03:05
Without any objections, Reya lit the fire, warming her hands on the flames. She was actually quite happy that she didn't have to take the first watch, being not in her most alert state of mind. The girl rose, rolled out the fleece from her backpack, and taking off her boots, sat down. After a while, when the camp began to settle, she stretched out on her fleece, covering her weary body with her fur-lined cloak.

Then, curled up with the rest of her backpack as pillow, the girl fell into a hazy sleep.

[Edited on 28/11/2006 by Sana]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 11:58
Ardinlas climbed into a spreading oak and was soon almost out of sight. She could see the camp below, and the sounds of the forest as night descended began. Crickets were chirping, nightingales were mourning, and other sounds besides. It promised to be a quiet night, but everyone in the camp knew to be vigilant. Ardinlas settled against the broad trunk and began humming to herself a song. She wasn't sure who would bed down at the moment, but she wanted to be silent enough to give those who wanted to the opportunity to sleep.
johnson4466
Council Member
Send Message
((May I join as Legolas, I mean??))
The elves began it, waking up the trees, teaching them to speak...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email