Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post QOTW-June 14th/06--4-II The Istari
on: June 13, 2006 05:06
The Valar, discussing who to send to Middle-earth to oppose Sauron
' Who would go? For they must be mighty, peers of Sauron, but must forgo might, and clothe themselves in flesh so as to treat on equality and win the trust of Elves and Men. But this would imperil them, dimming their wisdom and knowledge, and confusing them with fears, cares, and weariness coming from the flesh'

Does this explain why only one of the Istari stayed to his mission?

[Edited on 14/6/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: QOTW-June 14th/06--4-II The Istari
on: June 18, 2006 02:55
Does this explain why only one of the Istari stayed to his mission?

Or perhaps as well it could explain why the Valar sent more than one Istari for the task.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 19, 2006 02:18
Sending more than one Istari could also show that the Valar actively make sure that their own intersts are protected and don't necessarily trust the other Valar to look after them.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2006 03:27
That is a very interesting view. Had never even thought of it in that way but I believe you are right.
legolasfan27
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 12:49
I don't know, I didn't get that impression. I think the fact that they sent more than one means they believed there is strength in numbers. Plus, they all had very different personalities and strengths and sending more than one meant they would complement each other, since they would be subject to cares and weariness in different ways.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email