Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Hunt for the Palantir(open, slightly scripted)
on: October 08, 2006 03:57
Ahlara smiled as Raniean's hands rubbed hers to keep them warm. "Thank you," she said gratefully. "You are too kind."

Her hands grew warmer as she watched Raniean's hands with a soft smile on her face. His hands felt worn from his sword but they were comforting none the less. Ahlara's hands were quite roughly worn, but as a lady, they did not seem it. They were pale except for the palm which bore a little dirt from climbing the tree earlier.

"The rain has stopped," Ahlara observed, looking to the trees. "I hope tomorrow it will not follow us; another day traveling in the rain would surely dampen everybody's moods even more than it already has."

A flash of lightening jumped from one cloud to another as Ahlara finished speaking. There was silence, and Ahlara noticed that she had not heard Aki grunt, but she had heard rustling earlier, but thought nothing of it. Ahlara shook her head annoyed; she wished she had tied him to something so she wouldn’t have to wander around in the morning to find him. She knew that Aki's very large diet would always drive him to go off, even though for an animal he was quite smart.

"I'll need to fetch Aki," Ahlara said sighing. There was still a little smile on her face. "Otherwise he'll wander too far into the woods."

Ahlara stood, her now extremely warm hands removing Raniean's cloak. She placed it around his broad shoulders for safe keeping and began to climb down the tree. She was glad to stretch her legs, and she felt a rush of warmth flood through her body as she began to move. Tightly compacted places made Ahlara restless sometimes, if she was not tired that is.

She reached the bottom of the tree and looked at the camp, her hair falling over her shoulders. There were still some people awake, chattering in the cold. Sighing, Ahlara turned around and looked for Aki where she had left him. He was not there, but the muddy ground hosted a nice set of horse shoe prints, leading across a broken log into the woods. She let out a breath of frustration.

"Great!" she said.

[Edited on 8/10/2006 by Ahlara]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2006 07:50
Raniean heard Ahlara's exclamation of annoyance and smiled to himself as he climbed down the tree after her. "He shouldn't be far," he said when he'd assessed the situation. "I can go find him, if you like." Removing his cloak again, he wrapped it around her shoulders gently. "Keep it until the morning," he added.

((sorry it's not very long...writer's block))
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2006 11:50
Ahlara smiled as Raniean placed the cloak back on her shoulders, though she was sure she could not see her smile since he was behind her. "I'll find him," Ahlara said, turning to Raniean. "But you're more than welcome to come."

Ahlara turned and looked on the ground where the hoof prints were. They lead straight ahead and she started walking carefully over large piles of mud and broken twigs and branches. Finally the hoof prints turned right, a fair walks worth deeper into the forest. And there he was; standing in front of Ahlara was unmistakably a horse picking at bits of weedy grass and leaves. He grunted a little as Ahlara walked up to him and stoked his nose.

"I'm going to have to start tying you up," Ahlara smiled. "You're appetite is getting quite too much." Ahlara walked round and patted the side of Aki's belly which was considerably large.

[Edited on 13/10/2006 by Ahlara]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2006 01:16
The elf captain didn't have to even think twice about following the young human woman. It came from centuries of living in Mirkwood; he would never allow a woman to walk alone through the woods, especially not at night. Before following, though, he called over another of his kinsfolk and had him take Raniean's place on watch while he was gone.

When he caught up to Ahlara, he kept slightly behind her, watching her and the area while keeping the hilt of his wrist knife in his hand. He had to smile; she was quite a bit shorter than him--which was not unusual; most people were a head shorter than the tall captain--and his cloak almost drowned her as she walked. Remarkably, she managed to keep it wrapped around her and out of the mud.

He pulled level with her as they approached the feeding horse. "Is he trained for ground tying?" Raniean asked, patting the horse's neck and allowing the animal to smell him. "That would be safer, especially if you need to mount him fast."
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2006 04:25
Bain returned to brushing her mare after she was done talking to the ellon.

Then she set her gear next to a tree trunk.

Her eyes open and alert.

Later the rain ended.

Her mare was still within sight. just a bit out of the clearing, eating grass under a bush.

A man walked close by. he seamed to be wanting to be active to stay wake.

Bain could not blame the men for trying to keep moving.

There was not doubt most of them were cold and misierable.

The evening continued quitely.
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 08:04
Ahlara turned to Raniean who was petting Aki's neck. He pushed his neck into Raniean's hand, grunting a little out of affection. Ahlara chuckled and shook her head at the beast's friendliness.

"It really depends what mood he's in," Ahlara smiled. "If I tie him to something, he stays. If I dont tie him, he usually stays put; but theres that rare occasion that he wanders off."

Ahlara finished and thought pensively. "Like me, he gets a bit distressed in rain." Ahlara moved around Raniean and stoked Aki's nose, which was quite cold from the rain.

"Do you not have a steed then?" Ahlara asked, looking up at Raniean as she spoke.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 11:23
"I had one," Raniean replied, still petting the horse and smiling affectionately. "She was a sweet little lass, who knew how to fight at my side when it became necessary." He sighed. "She died when the Enemy attacked Mirkwood. I haven't had the heart to find another mount."

Even in such a peaceful moment, the memories of death and pain were never very far away. The captain was used to it, and he handled it the usual way: he ignored it for the time being. "I think she and Aki would have been great friends," he continued with a smile. "She was long in the leg; in a way, that was necessary to accomodate my long legs." He chuckled. "She was a gift from a breeder in Mirkwood; I'd had her since she was weaned and I knew her even before that. We were a team, Caladithil and I. There were times when I believed we could read each other's minds, though I suspect that I gave her unconscious physical cues when I thought something. She had a streak of mischief a mile wide; it was a game between us to see if she could manage to scrap me off when I wasn't paying attention. She won quite a lot, too."
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2006 12:09
Ahlara chuckled as Raniean finished speaking. "Aki is very similar," she said, smiling. "He tends to come up behind me and nudges his nose into my back, often pushing me over. He does this for affection, I think and it doesn't bother me one bit. If he ever stopped doing it, nothing would feel the same with him near me."

Ahlara paused and let Aki bury his nose into her hand. "Horses are magnificent creatures. I could have had myself in many sticky situations if it wasn’t for Aki to rescue me, and though there is no clear communication, he still manages to aid me. I think all of this is based on how attached people get to their animals, especially if you spend most of your time with them, traveling and such."

Ahlara paused and moved a strand of hair from her face before continuing, though perhaps with a less enthusiastic tone. "Aki belonged to my uncle," she said, her eyes becoming very dreamy as she looked at Raniean. "He was a fawn of my uncle's own mere. I suppose why I am extremely attached to Aki is because I grew up alongside of him. He isnt the oldest of horses, but he is one of the smartest I've come across. Even smarter than his own mother."

Ahlara chuckled slightly, and looked down at her feet with Aki grunting and shaking his head. Raindrops fell from his mane as he did so, and splattered Ahlara's face and Raniean's cloak that was loosely wrapped around her. She laughed, and shook her head.

"That’s another thing he likes to do," Ahlara said, smiling. "Splattering me with water as often as he can." She wiped her face with her hands and apologized to Raniean for his cloak; it was not soaked, nor cold and she was sure it being Elven would dry quite quick.

"Come," Ahlara said softly to Raniean. "I'll tie Aki up on that log below our tree."

Pulling Raniean's cloak more tightly around her, she grabbed Aki's reins and began walking towards the tree. One thing that Ahlara's mind wandered over as she was walking, was the fact that she had said, 'our tree' and she did not know why it bothered her so.

[Edited on 26/10/2006 by Ahlara]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 08:40
When her back was turned, Raniean smiled as he followed the maid and her fiesty horse. He'd caught the phrase 'our tree', and it warmed him somewhere deep inside. He'd missed companionship on the trail over the years; he'd grown accustomed to traveling with his brother or with his friends. Since the War, though, his rare travels were either alone--for their safety--or with a large group of people he didn't know.

But this companionship tasted different to the elf, and he couldn't quite figure out why. Maybe it had something to do with the sunshine that warmed his soul when Ahlara favored him with a smile meant just for him. Maybe it was because she looked like a slight, fragile creature in his cloak, and he felt a need to protect her, despite the ability with the sword that she'd demonstrated so clearly.

When they reached the base of 'their tree', Raniean leaned against the trunk and watched as Ahlara tied Aki down. Out of courtesy, he allowed her to climb first, giving her a hand up to the closest branch. Once they were settled on the comfortable branch again, Raniean leaned back with a sigh of relief. He liked resting, when he could. He caught his relief's eye and smiled his thanks while dismissing him with a nod.

A thought occured to him, and Raniean chuckled to himself. "Out of curiosity," he said, catching Ahlara's eye, "is there a pet name your family uses for you?" He liked pet names; he often gave them to those closest to him.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2006 12:48
((*firm nudge*))
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2006 05:27
((not much I can do eaither but will nudge it a bit))

Bain stay close to her horse through the night. She dozed a bit and after a good long time the sun started peaking over the horizon.

The she got up and went talking first to her horse and then sought out the leaders.

"When are we planning on moving. There seams no reason to linger here."

Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2006 02:47
((OOC: I'm really sorry! I've had a very, very busy 2 weeks - but I'm back now! =) ))

Ahlara quickly tied Aki to the log beneath the tree. He was quite reluctant to stay since he had eaten all of the brush around the trunk. None the less, he stood still as Ahlara whispered comfort to him and soon enough she was up the tree and was resuming her position with her back to the trunk.

Raniean climbed up after her and settled down looking relaxed and calm. She watched him for a second then looked to the sky above the treetops. There was a soft illumination seeping through dark clouds and all breeze had been swallowed up by the still, damp air. There was silence throughout the camp, save for the early chirps and tweets of birds scattered in the trees. Raniean chuckled opposite Ahlara and she diverted her eyes from the treetops to him as he spoke.

"Out of curiosity, is there a pet name your family uses for you?"

A soft smile broke out on Ahlara's lips, yet it wasn’t the most convincing of smiles. "No," she said. "Not that I can remember. My mother and father weren’t around for much of my life - and my uncle only called me by my birth name - Ahlara."

As Ahlara finished, footsteps were heard below the tree and a voice called up to them. "When are we planning on moving? There seams no reason to linger here." It was Bain's voice - and surprisingly, Ahlara did not feel uncomfortable...but perhaps it was because she could still feel Raniean's eyes on her.

"She is right," Ahlara said to Raniean. "Perhaps we could finish this conversation as we get on our way?"

The camp was stirring in the growing sunlight and Ahlara could see a few men gathering their things together and nudging others, waking them up.

[Edited on 13/11/2006 by Ahlara]
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2006 06:44
((OOC: where is everyone??))
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2006 09:20
ooc- will give one more nudge, dont know if it will help or not. Can do a whole lot but will try

ic- Bain turn and walked through the milling men encourageing them to get ready to move out. As a healer she took this time also to look over those she was traveling with to assess them for old injuries and such that chould affect her healing. As these were fighting men many of them had old wounds but there were not serious new injuries so she felt better.

Then she went back to her mare and rolled up her sleeping role and attached it, her one set of spare clothes and her healing supplies to the almost none existant saddle. No saddle was the way she prefered but supplies would likley be needed so sacrifices had to be made.

(some one please post we need help)
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2006 12:00
Macar approached the campfire, "We need to head for rivendell, there is a great library there where we may be able to find out more about the palantir, they may be able to provide some aid."
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2006 02:39
As Ahlara descended the tree, she began thinking thoughts that hadn’t disturbed her during the night. The company would have to leave the comfort of the trees and wander out in the open where anything could be watching them. She hadn’t felt that strange feeling that compelled her to wander to the top of the hill since the day before when it had actually happened but would she feel it again today?

Ahlara shuddered as she untied a restless Aki. Macar, the companies leader, was talking to the men near the campfire. She wondered why he had been so quiet for the past day. Perhaps the feeling had struck him too.

"We need to head for rivendell, there is a great library there where we may be able to find out more about the palantir, they may be able to provide some aid." he said to one of the men.

Ahlara had only been to Rivendell twice and both were when she was in great need of supplies. Those who dwelled in Rivendell were extremely nice despite the war, as she had remembered.

Aki stirred beside her and Ahlara began strapping her belongings to his saddle. She shuddered again, thinking of leaving the sheltered trees into the open. She noticed that Raniean hadn’t came down from the tree yet, and so she busied herself thinking about him instead of the feeling of being watched.

She did like Raniean, perhaps because of his kindness or because of the way he spoke to Ahlara. She trusted him with the darkest of secrets, and maybe that was what scared Ahlara a little. She had never trusted someone as much as she did now. She felt safe as well, as though if anything came at her, he would be there to help. She admired this greatly and a rush of warmth flooded her inside.

Though amongst all of this growing friendship, there was something in Ahlara's mind that had bothered her the night before. She frowned and shook her head. Raniean was a friend and she felt quite sure that his smiles, held gazes, and kind gestures were friendly and nothing more. It made Ahlara quite angry to know she felt a certain way, yet she still wasn’t sure if they were true or only grateful friendship.

Shaking her head, she realized that she had stopped strapping all her things to Aki's saddle, and stood staring into space. She blushed as the elf from the tree beside Raniean's walked past.

"Stop it!" Ahlara whispered to herself. Aki grunted in a way Ahlara knew he felt sorry for her.

[Edited on 10/12/2006 by Ahlara]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 11:14
Raniean stayed in the tree for a time after Ahlara left, thinking deeply, his eyes slightly troubled. Toward Rivendell, hm? Well, he knew the lay of the land around Rivendell well, and he would be helpful as a guide. But he was concerned. Now that the War was over, Elrond was gone, leaving his sons in charge of Rivendell. It was no longer such a place of safety, not without the elven ring Vilya (as a brother to a high lord, Raniean had known about that ring since the outbreak of the war).

What if something found them there? Anyone looking for them would certainly look in Imladris; it was known as a resting place and a source of information. The twins kept up the library as a silent tribute to their father.

Beyond all the worries about what could be watching them, his thoughts dwelled on Ahlara more than he was accustomed to having his thoughts on any woman. There was something about her that drew his attention and kept it, and he couldn't define what it was for the life of him. That frustrated him; he disliked having a mystery tickling at his brain when he should be focused on protecting everyone.

With a sigh, the captain picked up his weaponry and strapped it on. It was time to continue, and face whatever happened next. That was his current outlook on life; take things as they came and don't borrow trouble from the future. The day had more than enough trouble without any help. He swung lightly from his perch and landed like a cat on the ground. His eyes were drawn immediately to Ahlara as one of his elven brethren passed her. Those spots of color on her cheeks were attractive, he decided with a smile tracing his thin lips.

He walked to Ahlara's side. "Ready to move on?" he asked her.
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 05:28
Ahlara heard Raniean come down from the tree as she finished tying the last knot in the strings on Aki's saddle. The blush in her cheeks had not gone as Raniean stood beside her. "Ready to move on?" he asked.

Ahlara nodded and smiled back. She began walking into the forest where the rest of the company was headed, Aki by her side and Raniean to the other.

She dreaded entering the open.
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 09:17
Bain was delighted by the thought of going to Rivendale.

She had often thought of travleing there. Now she wanted to company to move faster but she knew that with the majority of men walking the pace would remain the same.

Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2006 12:44
Hours passed rather quickly for the elf, though they passed in silence; Ahlara was tense at his side and didn't offer a word in conversation. Raniean wondered if she was afraid and decided she probably was. He was too, in a sense. He felt safe under the trees, and now that they were out in the open, he felt uncommonly exposed.

Pursing his lips, the elf looked up at the sky, pondering the likelihood of having to walk in the rain. It was fortunate that the rain was mostly done; he didn't catch colds or feel chilly in damp air, but he hated feeling damp.

Clearing his throat, Raniean looked at Ahlara again. "Are you all right?" he asked, feeling concern over her prolonged silence.
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2007 01:48
Ahlara looked at the sky as the company made its way from the trees into the extremely dull open stretch of land. The sky itself, looked promising as the wind shifted the rain clouds away and there was an occasional glimps of a blue sky. It was still quite cold, but it did not bother Ahlara for soon with all the walking, her bones had warmed.

She did not speak much as her mind was on things - she almost forgot that she was with other people and that Raniean was by her side walking silently. Occasionally Aki would grunt behind Ahlara and nudge his nose into her back, bringing her back to reality.

Beside her, Raniean cleared his throat. "Are you alright?" he asked. Ahlara's eyes drifted from the void she had stared into and looked up at Raniean.

"My apologies," she said softly, smiling. "I was just thinking." His face looked warm and comforting. "But what about is only the loss of saftey from those trees." She looked back and realized that they had long left them; it must have been a lengthly time since Ahlara had last spoken.

And she was lying, in a sense, about what she was thinking about - there was much more on her mind but her face told otherwise; it was calm and soft. She smiled at Raniean again, and let out a soft sigh.
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2007 02:51
((OOC: where is everyone? =( ))
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2007 02:47
((OOC: HELLOOO!!!???))
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email