Register

Author Topic:
fireflyaldea
Council Member
Send Message
Post Dwarf related question
on: July 21, 2006 01:38
Hello,

I am searching for how to write a particular word in the Dwarf language.

I see your site has loads of Elf related language stuff (which is great because I also needed some Elf words) and wondered if you had any Dwarf language experts?

It's just that the word would be for a tattoo and since it's a reasonably long term item, I'd really want to get it right before I have it scribbled into my skin. Your site looks to be very high quality and run by some real buffs, so I figured if I was going to get my Dwarf word correct anywhere, it'd be here.

The word is Phoenix.

Is there anyone who can help?

PS. I adore those little people tee shirts. I will be ordering some of them for my kids, do I need to send measurements to make sure they fit okay, as I am not sure if sizes in Australia (where we are) are the same as US sizings?

Thanks ever so much, your site rocks,

Susan, Elf Hag.
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Dwarf related question
on: July 21, 2006 07:51
Hey, welcome to the site.

Just a little side note, you probably should have posted this question in the language forum. But that's ok, one of the admins will probably move this thread there.

Back to your question. Phoenix is really a difficult word to be translated to dwarven. Tolkien created a really short list of dwarven words so I don't think you'll be able to find anything similar. There are however other dwarven dictionaries on the net but most of them are fan made, so the words are not really "real" or "official".

You cound translate Phoenix into Bird of Fire, and so far I've found only 2 dwarven words for fire: Zharr and Fatar. Both of them are fan made. And I don't think there's a dwarvish word for a bird anywhere on the internet. I've tried google-ing it but with no results.

You could go for a Phoenix written in dwarven runes, I think that would look cool. You can find the dwarven font in the downloads section.

Sorry I couldn't help you more.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: July 27, 2006 02:46
Susan, unfortunately we don't know a lot about Tolkien's Khuzdul (that's what he called the Dwarvish language), and all of what we know about it is summarised at Ardalambion. If you do a search for 'dwarvish' on the internet, you will find a lot of resources, but as Aegor says, most of them are fan creations.

I second Aegor's suggestion of getting 'phoenix' written in the runes instead. There aren't many resources for the various Cirth (which is Sindarin for 'runes') on the internet, although Dan Smith's page has a bit. You would probably be interested in the Angerthas Moria and Erebor, and since the Angerthas aren't meant for English, just remember when writing 'phoenix' to write it phonetically, e.g. don't use two different letters to write PH when you only need the letter for F.

If you don't mind waiting a day or two, I can also attempt a transliteration for you instead.

PS. I adore those little people tee shirts. I will be ordering some of them for my kids, do I need to send measurements to make sure they fit okay, as I am not sure if sizes in Australia (where we are) are the same as US sizings?

US sizes are different. Usually it's something like Australian sizes are two sizes above US ones (from the few clothes I've ordered from the US), yet there do seem to be plenty of exceptions -- I've seen sites which list a difference of four sizes, so it's best to email and ask.
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: July 27, 2006 06:40
In The Treason of Isengard, Christopher Tolkien provided us with a chart written by his father listed as Dwarf runes for writing English (phonetic). According to that system, 'Phoenix' would be wriiten as
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email