Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: inherence (see ooc)
on: November 08, 2006 12:29
"We may be best to skirt around the villages you speak of. They may not take kindly to me."

Leoma looked up curiously at Calun, when Modig inturrupted.
"Calun, you may be a so-called "half-blood" but you have been the greatest friend I have met, present company excluded, since I left Rohan."

"Half blood?" Leoma asked, his curiosity peaked, "Are you half elven?" He smiled brightly, he was always eager to meet new people and races, it always gave him a curious, but intriging, insite into other culters....which always help him choose what was best for the market.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2006 06:28
"Half blood?" Leoma asked, his curiosity peaked, "Are you half elven?" He smiled brightly

Calun frowned, and answered saying,
"No, I am less than that. I am the child of a son of a Gondorian man and a Khandish woman, which accounts for the hue of my skin, and for the persecution I have been forced to endure." He sighed. "If I could, I would change my ancestry, if only to lessen the pain."
he glanced around and saw Díore start slightly, and viewed Modig ride over to her.
"Of course, it would help if Modig wasn't quite so vocal about it. You didn't seem to notice when we first came." He chuckled, "I can't believe you thought I was an elf. Or a half-elf, anyway."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 10, 2006 12:22
Díore gave a brief smile, embarrassed when Calun caught her flinching slightly at the mention of his lineage. "Mind me not at all, for I am not well-traveled and could be considered ignorant in many things." She turned in the saddle and looked Calun in the eye. "Just because you are what they consider a half-blood, that doesn't mean that I will treat you any differently, or I believe, would anyone else in here for that matter."

"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2006 12:42
Leoma smiled ever broader, but there was a tint of blush at his cheeks, "Well, truth to tell, I have not met any people outside of Rohan and Gondor. I do not know what other races look like, though I have heard tales. I shall have to one day, meet these other races, expand my trades. But for now I still have only these familiar grounds to tread.
Also, I will not judge you by people, or race. I have not the experiance to make any justified remarks and so I will let myself learn by experiance. Youa re a nice man, and so I will allow myself to disregard most all negative rumours." He waved his hand dissmissivly.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2006 06:14
"I thank you both for your kindness." Calun said. Modig Peered into the distance.
"There seems to be a small village up to the North. As we seem to be going that way, shall we go there? It looks to be perhaps two days ride from here." He said, looking at Leoma for an answer.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 17, 2006 07:11
Díore also looked into the distance. "A village would be good. I am getting low on supplies, and it will be interesting to meet new people. But I leave the choice up to you, Leoma," she said, halting Durithil and shading her eyes with a hand so she could survey the scenery ahead more clearly.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2006 07:20
"Oh...well." Leoma found himself more then a little shocked to be put on the spotlight. He smiled though.
"Well, that is a good villlage. I've been there a time or two. Just don't make any sudden moves there and everyhting should be alright." He smiled, "To that village we go!"
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 12:27
Díore urged Durithil down the hill and followed the path that continued to meander. A great sense of anticipation welled up, and she sighed happily. The plodding of hooves on the road was music to her ears, and she wouldn't have traded it for anything in the world. Since she had left Edoras, Díore had been on her own, with no human companions. Now that she had some, she would make the most of it in case they went their own separate ways. Looking for something to strike up a conversation with, Díore said, "Does anyone have a traveling song they like to sing? Or any stories from their travels? It would seem rather dull if we ride in each other's company without some semblance of conversation...or at least, that is how it seems to me."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 12:53
Leoma laughed out loud, "Of course, a tale or a song so we do not weary of the road is quite in order!" He said smiling. "I fear that I know few, I am not as gifted as I should like to be. And I am still to young in this world to know any great tales that would be placed on the road. But I am sure that one of our other companions knows a tale or two."
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 03:14
"Well, I know one. I learned it at the bar from a distant (and drunk) traveler. Should I sing it for you?" Maeg offered. Murmers of "yes" went through the group, and she began.

"Land of bear and land of eagle
Land that gave us birth and blessing
Land that called us ever homewards
We will go home across the mountains

We will go home
We will go home

We will go home,
singing our song

Hear our singing
Hear our longing

We will go home
We will go home..."

ooc: i know that's from King Arthur, it is NOT something i just made up, but it kinda goes with the story, and i like the tune from that movie, so anyways...
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 04:56
Leoma smiled brilliantly, "That is a terific song, Maeg." he said, "Perhaps...I might know one."
Leoma took a deep breath.
"To ride beyond the mountains,
what a sight to see,
who knows what we'll encounter,
as we travel merily.
Our steeds will never tire,
Our swords never dull,
Our morals never plummet,
As we ride along.
So join with me my friends,
And let us all go off,
Until we find ourselves,
Lost within the taverns."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 27, 2006 02:32
(Note: The song Díore sings is actually one from Brian Jacques novel, Triss. I thought it was a good poem, but if there are plagiarism issues from the mods, then I will edit.)

Díore listened to her friends' songs and commented, "Doesn't it seem that the best songs are often found in taverns? I mean, yes they are gathering places for many, but also, the drink seems to help loosen tongues as well." A frown replaced the smile that had lit her face before. "I can recall one that my mother had heard when she had lived in Dol Amroth. Her brother had boarded a ship, and their mother, my grandmother, had sung it before he left. You see, she didn't want him to go, but he was adamant about journeying. It is sad, but a good one nonetheless."

Her voice was soft as she sang the ballad.

" 'Tis a far cry from home to a poor lonely thing,
O'er the deeps and wild waters of seas,
Where you can't hear your dear mother's voice softly sing
Like a breeze gently stirring the trees.

Come home, little one, wander back here someday
I'll watch for you, each evening and morn,
Through all the long season 'til I'm old and grey
As the frost on the hedges at dawn.

There's a lantern that shines in my window at night,
I have long kept it burning for you,
It glows through the dark, like a clear guiding light,
And I know someday you'll see it too.

So hasten back, little one, or I will soon be gone,
No more to see your dear face,
But I know that I'll feel your tears fall one by one,
On the flowers o'er my resting place."
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2006 09:59
"Isn't it strange that the saddest songs are often the ones you remember most?" Calun said, reflectivly. "But perhaps a lighter song is needed now?"
He drew a deep breath and sung,
"Look, there is Fastitocalon!
An island good to land upon,
Although 'tis rather bare.
Come, leave the sea! And let us run,
Or dance, or lie down in the sun!
See, gulls are sitting there!
Beware!
Gulls do not sink.
There they may sit, or strut and prink:
Their part it is to tip the wink,
If anyone should dare
Upon that isle to settle,
Or only for a while to get
Relief from sickness or the wet,
Or maybe boil a kettle.

Ah! foolish folk, who land on HIM,
And little fires proceed to trim
And hope perhaps for tea!
It may be that His shell is thick,
He seems to sleep; but He is quick,
And floats now in the sea
With guile;
And when He hears their tapping feet,
Or faintly feels the sudden heat,
With smile
HE dives,
And promptly turning upside-down
He tips them off, and deep they drown,
And lose their silly lives
To their surprise.
Be wise!
There are many monsters in the Sea,
But none so perilous as HE,
Old horny Fastitocalon,
Whose mighty kindred all have gone,
The last of the old Turtle-fish.
So if to save your life you wish
Then I advise:
Pay heed to sailors' ancient lore,
Set foot on no uncharted shore!
Or better still,
Your days at peace on Middle-earth
In mirth
Fulfil!
Twas my mother who sung that to me. Perhaps she would have sung it better. but none will know now."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 12:50
Díore smiled as Calun's song ended. "I suppose you are right. Your voice is enough to scare the birds," she said in jest. "Twas a good song though," Díore added, repositioning herself on Durithil's back for she was getting uncomfortable. Her gaze slid to Leoma. "When is the earliest do you think we can reach the village? I don't know about the rest of you, but I am game to try to reach it there by tomorrow morning, if you don't mind a long hard ride through the night. But I suppose that is just me."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 03:26
Leoma looked at her, "At this pace we should reach it by nightfall. Infact, when we crest the next hill we should catch a glimpse of it."
And indeed, as they rode over the next hill, in the distance, there came into view the village. It was a rather pretty scene, the setting sun casting long shadows, and the village standing alone surrounded by a few tall trees.
"Almost there, then." He smiled brightly.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2006 10:55
ooc: hey!! i have been on quizilla too long, and i've decided to peek at what's been happening since i disappeared.

ic: Maeg saw the village and sighed with relief. "I can finally get a new saddle," she thought to herself, as she urged the horse into a faster paced walk. The village was very appealing to the eye, and Maeg smiled. It looked warm and inviting, and she was slightly chilly.
"Is there an inn nearby in the village where the horses can stay and we can be warmed by a fire? or ale?" she added with a grin.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2006 04:00
Leoma nodded, "There are several. I reccomend the Young Colt Inn. It has a good reputation and I've been there before...the food is excellant as is the entertainment."
They rode into the village, recieving several looks but nothing worse for wear. Leoma stopped at the Young Colt, handing his horse to the stable boy.
"The market is just down the road," He said, "I am going there myself, to see if I can sell some of my wares. I can take you to the leather worker if you'd like."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 31, 2006 05:06
Díore kept her gaze forward and commented, "An inn doesn't sound like a terrible place to be right now. But I suppose I could do without the entertainment." She knew that no matter where they went, she would attract some looks for she was delicate-looking. But thankfully no one had given her a lascivious glance in a long while, and Díore was grateful for that.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email