Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: The Stay Awhile Inn - version 5- (everyone welcome)
on: May 11, 2007 01:34
It appeared that the newcomer was being taken car eof by Anrothso PB decided to explain a bit about Bob to Langon.
"I will introduce you to Bob once things have calmed down.
I know that it is un usual to find a Mirkwood spider this far from the forests, but from what i understand this spider was chased from there shrtly after the evil was thrown down by the lady Galadriel. This spider, Bob isn't his real name - he's never told it to us and seems content to use this one that we derived from the stries of Bilbo taunting the spiders, wandered for many years , as far North as Mount Gundabad before heading south on the West side of the Misty Mountains. In all that time he was never safe from attack by men, or orcs,until he managed to find our tunnels. When we discovered him, he had just wrapped up an armed intruder, who was a scout for a group of bandits from Dunland. That capture saved us from a surprise attack, and we worked out a deal with him; he would stay in the tunnels, feeding on vermin and capturing intruders, and in return for this help, we would allow him to stay there unharmed.'
' So, as you see, Bob's more of an ally than a pet, and in all the time that he's been here, no intruder has used the tunnels to reach the Inn, and we've had little trouble with rats and other vermin."
KeeperoftheHorses
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 11:02
After she opened the door Micla thought she had hit a chair and knocked it over, but soon she saw it was actually a dwarf. Even though she felt bad, Micla couldn’t keep a grin subdued when she saw the dwarf on the ground after getting a rather rough meeting with the door.

"Of course theres something alive here!!!”… “and who are you?"

“Micla Took’s my name, what’s yours?” As the hobbit waited for a reply she realized that this dwarf was the first dwarf she’d ever met, and began to get quite excited. He seemed a bit shorter than what she pictured dwarves to be.
“Oh, and I’m sorry about the door. That wasn’t the best first impression, was it? How's your face feeling?” She smirked.

Micla glanced past the dwarf into the inn, but because her eyes still needed to adjust to the dimmer light she could only make out the shapes of other people.

“Oh right! Sir Frisky. Um, Mister Dwarf, do you know if there’s any place I could keep my pony?” Micla asked the dwarf, pointing to the pony napping under a tree.
bluelight
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 07:24
Anroth noticed the little hobbit was quite young, and he decided to forgive her for the door. After hearing the hobbit's answer, he said:
"Nice to meet you Micla, My name is Anroth, and I believe my face is fine, all in all, anyway, I'm not sure about where you could put your pony, but maybe you should ask them, men and elves usually use horses, they will be able to help you more with that..." He then turned around and asked the woman sitting in the corner where the stables are. After that he showed the hobbit where the stables were, and asked wherever she needed help with the pony."Do you need help with, um, Sir Friskski?, thats his name isn't it?"
ithillinde
Creator of Reality
Send Message
on: June 01, 2007 06:18
(ooc: must not let HFH die off again so soon!! and yes I was listening to Into the West this morning and yes it was making me cry. got a problem with that? lol )

A few quiet days passed at the inn, everyone seemed to be falling into their own schedules and finding their way comfortably around each other. Amdir came down from her room where she had spent the entire day there, trying to compose a new song, but inspiration seemed far away from her grasp. The evening meal had long since been eaten and the dishes taken away and washed by the hobbits.

Taking her lyre with her, Amdir went outside. Even though the moon was round and full in the sky, the night still seemed quite dark. She stood there for several minutes just staring up at the night sky, almost as if she was searching for something. The trees were whispering their secrets to the wind, and a single star shone brighter than the others. Amdir looked at it as if it just might speak to her, give her the inspiration she had been seeking all day. But alas, it remained silent in its velvety cushion of dark blue sky.

Amdir sighed loudly and wandered into the thick grove of trees behind the inn. Just a few yards away she found a comfortable spot under an ancient looking oak tree. When she looked up she could see through the branches the moon and the one bright star. Though a new song did not come to mind, Amdir felt compelled to sing a song that her mother used to sing to her when Amdir was small, it had always made tears fill Amdir's eyes whenever she heard it. Her practiced fingers began to coax the gentle melody from the lyre and her soft voice began singing, filled with emotion.

Lay down,
your sweet and weary head.
Night is falling.
You have come to journey’s end.

Sleep now,and dream
of the ones who came before.
They are calling,
from across a distant shore.

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see.
All of your fears will pass away.
Safe in my arms,
you’re only sleeping.

What can you see,
on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea,
a pale moon rises.
The ships have come,
to carry you home.

And all will turn,
to silver glass.
A light on the water.
All souls pass.

Hope fades,
Into the world of night.
Through shadows falling,
Out of memory and time.

Don’t say,
We have come now to the end.
White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
And you’ll be here in my arms,
Just sleeping.

What can you see,
on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea,
a pale moon rises.
The ships have come,
to carry you home.

And all will turn,
to silver glass.
A light on the water.
Grey ships pass
Into the West.

When she stopped singing, Amdir brushed her eyes quickly to wipe away the tears that had started to stream down her face. She realized how very much she missed her mother and father who had sailed into the west many, many years ago.

Amdir's eyes were drawn up into the tree, for a split second she thought she saw Aruin up in the branches of the tree, but she wasn't sure as the figure had moved very quickly and disappeared throughly into the dark cloak of the night.

If Amdir had been looking just the other way, behind the large tree, she might have seen two yellow eyes gleaming in the darkness that also quickly scurried away. The creature grunted in disgust at the beautiful song and went back to the caves where its hiding place was with the other orc.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 09:30
PB busied himself in the garden, weeding and harvesting vegetables all day, except for 5 or 6 little breaks for meals and ale.
All the time he worked he kept thinking that someone or something was watching him work. In the evening he returned to the Inn , washed up, and helped with the supper dishes. He poured himslef one last ale and went into the common room to sit back and elax, but he still couldn't shake the feeling that had been watched. Usually, he would listen to Amdir's music at about this time , but she was nowhere to be seen, and he found out that she had gone out to sit in the woods, for inspiration, or privacy perhaps.
he may have been a bit slow due to the long hard day and one or two extra ales, but it suddenly occurred to him that it might not be a good idea for Amdir to be alone in the woods, if there actually was someone watching.
He approached Langon and asked him if he would arm himself and go to the clearing in the woods and check on Amdir, for it was not a good idea for her to be out in the woods this monlit evening.
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 11:25
Langon had busied himself with reinforcing the perimeter defenses of the inn throughout the day. He, along with a small team of dwarves and elves, accomplished in strengthening the gates, shoring up the walls, reinforcing the tower and making the secret entrances all but indestructible. At the end of the day he had a small evening meal, an ale and retired to the watchtower where he sat and smoked his pipe while watching over the dark countryside.

After some time, PB came knocking on the door to the tower, asking him to check on Amdir who was out in the woods alone, it was not good to be out at night. The ranger silently nodded his head, girded his weapons, and left the inn.

Once in the woods he made a silent path to the direction of the beautiful but sad singing and soon he reached Amdir.
"No one should be outside alone at night." he said to her, the moonlight glinting off of his silver hair, "There's no telling what is wandering the forest at this time of night." Langon then carefully scanned the forest with the care that none but Rangers and Elves possessed. "Something else has been here recently, though, as likely as not, probably just some off the inn staff gathering things."
KeeperoftheHorses
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 12:26
“Pleasure to meet you Anroth! I’m glad to hear your face is okay.”

“…men and elves usually use horses, they will be able to help you more with that..."

“There are elves in there?” This was becoming quite the day. First she met a dwarf, and now she might be able to talk to an elf! “Oh by the way, what was all that shrieking about, just a short time ago? I could hear it all the way down the road!”

Micla giggled at the how the dwarf pronounced her pony’s name.
“It’s Sir Frisky. I have to say it’s not a wonderful name for him, though. Barely fits him at all!” explained Micla as she waved her hand in front of the pony’s face, only to receive a slight swish of his tail in response.
“Oh well. But thanks for your offer, I think I’ve got it handled.”
Micla led Sir Frisky into a stall and with some effort she got the door closed and latched. Micla noticed this stall was the right size for a horse, but quite large for her little pony. She could barley see the tips of his ears!
“I feel a bit sorry for him, don’t you? He looks so small…”
After thanking the dwarf, Micla made her way inside the inn, very ready for a nice meal and some ale.

A few days passed with (in her opinion) little to no excitement at all. Head in her hands, Micla sat daydreaming on a rock outside in the moonlight, twirling a finger in her untidy curls of hair. Though the meals were excellent and most would have thought it be nice to have nothing to do besides sit outside all day, Micla was becoming quite bored. If she had had another hobbit companion she would have liked to journey further, maybe even all the way to Rivendell, but that would be too far for her to travel alone, and now she was even starting to dread the long walk back home.

When the sorrowful voice of an elf drifted from the woods, Micla remembered that hearing elves sing was one the highlights of the few days that had passed. She listened to the whole song, thinking it one of the most beautiful songs she’d ever heard. Amdir’s voice was so heartfelt it gave Micla chills.

When the song unfortunately ended, a toad suddenly hopped out from the brush behind Micla and landed by her foot. With the toad came a much-awaited idea for the young hobbit’s entertainment. She carefully scooped the toad up and hurried inside the inn. A full plate off food on an unoccupied table caught Micla’s eye. With the most innocent expression she could muster, she casually walked over to the table, glanced around to see if anyone was watching, and when she was sure no one was, she placed the toad on top of the plate. Although she thought it was unlikely, Micla hoped whoever was sitting at that table would come back before the toad hopped away.
Micla then innocently walked away from the table and after grabbing a carrot for Sir Frisky, she went outside to watch from the window.

[Edited on 5/6/2007 by KeeperoftheHorses]
ithillinde
Creator of Reality
Send Message
on: June 10, 2007 05:06
Amdir looked up as Langon approached and said it wasn't safe for her to be out in the woods so late at night.

"No one should be outside alone at night." he said to her, the moonlight glinting off of his silver hair, "There's no telling what is wandering the forest at this time of night." Langon then carefully scanned the forest with the care that none but Rangers and Elves possessed. "Something else has been here recently, though, as likely as not, probably just some off the inn staff gathering things."

"I believe I saw Hir Aruin in the trees a moment ago, I might have been mistaken." she said softly. She ran her hand down the familiar outside curve of her lyre. "I... I was just missing my parents, they sailed many years ago and I was just thinking perhaps I should have gone with them at the time."

She paused for a moment and looked back up at the night sky, "I have been melancholy for far too long." she said. "I also have been distrusting of mankind for too long as well." Returning her gaze to Langon she continued, "I have been too distrusting of you as well good sir. The only men I have had contact with in my travels have turned out to be rogues and scoundrels and you are neither of those things. You have seen to my safety twice now, I owe you my gratitude and my most sincere apologies Langon."

She smiled at him and stood to her feet. "I think the Inn could use some happy music this night."

With one more look up into the tree for Hir Aruin hoping he might return to the inn as well, Amdir followed Langon back to the inn, where she sat in her usual chair by the fire and played some happy music for everyone. Her lyre sang merrily as her face was warmed by the light from the fireplace and the smile that now graced her once sad face.

"Where you been while I keep watch on wicked elves and stupid hobbits?" Goum said as Moog entered the cave they had been hiding in.

"Me Captain, me order, you follow." Moog grumbled back. "What you find out?"

"They been building reinforcements around Inn, nasty he-elf roam in trees, nasty she-elf sing ugly music other elf not do much. Hobbits tend to food, must have large supply in barn. Man and dwarf mostly work on building." Goum reported.

"You find where keep treasure?" Moog asked, his eyes gleaming greedily.

"No, ...Captain." Goum replied with a sneer. "I no think they have anything valuable."

Moog backhanded the other orc across the face, reopening the cut he had made a few days ago on Goum's face. "I say they do! They had better have something worth taking or they be sorry for it!" Moog shouted.

Goum slunk away towards the back of the cave.

Moog's fierce sneer returned to his face as he looked back at Goum. "Me find more orcs in woods far to south, that where I have been. Me found them and asked them to join us. They be coming to join us in a day or two, about ten or so of them. They be tired and not very strong yet, but they be... HUNGRY."
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 05:19
After breakfast PbHf went out to check the woods. He was sure that the Inn was being watched by someone or something. There were a few game trails that he knew of so he checked them. Afte an hour of searching all he found was what appeared to be the prints of some of his own people and one print from a very wide, very worn, boot.
What was odd though is that there were no fresh game tracks anywhere, and come to think of it he couldn't recall hearing many of the usual night-bird songs on the past few evenings. Something had to be wrong; someone was coming into the woods and watching them, something that scared away the game and night birds.
He went back to the Inn to discuss his findings with Langon and Aruin. they decided to keep everyone indoors at night and to hide an elf or two high in the treees to see what or who was watching them.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2007 12:59
Nori broke through the undergrowth into the clearing. She was lost. Again. She looked around, and stood as tall as her dwarvish height would let her. An inn? In the middle of the woods? Her stomach growled. She shrugged and marched towards the inn. Perhaps she could get directions, and a meal, inside. Ale wouldn't hurt either.

"Stay Awhile Inn," Nori read. "Might as well. I'm not getting anywhere at the rate I've been travelling..."

The door creaked as she opened it and walked in. The scent of food drifted past her, enticing her senses, and making her stomach growl yet again. Nori growled in response, but her round belly took no notice.

Other smells suddenly assaulted her. Elves, and a Spider?!? Nori pulled her smallest, most inconspicuous axe from her belt. No harm in being prepared. Especially with elves around. Spiders she could deal with, but those dratted elves...

Shrugging off her pack, Nori stomped over to the bar and climbed onto a stool. "Barkeep! Ho there! A meal for a hungry traveller, if you please!"
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: November 12, 2007 01:53
"How do you do"; I said as I bowed to the new guest." I'll pour you an ale while your meal is prepared. Would you like to start off with a bowl of mushroom soup?".
I opened the kitchen door and hollored in to get the meal ready, and then went back to the bar and poured two ales; after all I couldn't expect the new guest to drink alone!!

"We serve a fine ale here, Ma'am, and I'd be glad to sit and keep you company while you enjoy this glass. I'm Potbelly Hairyfoot, one of the owners of this Inn. We have a diverse staff here and rooms available for all the races of Middle-earth, and on our staff you'll find representatives of most races. "
" I must ask you what route you took to get here, and if you saw any suspicious characters in the neighbourhood, and - I should also like to make your acquaintance".
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2007 12:34
Nori nodded at the hobbit. "Thank you. I am travelling from Erebor, in search of adventures. I am afraid none have come to me so far, including suspicious characters. In fact, I have seen no one at all, sice aproaching your inn. Slow times?"

Nori sipped the ale, and accepted the offer of soup. This ale was Much better than the last she had tasted, several leagues back. She put her axe away. Nothing to be afraid of in an empty inn...
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2007 04:26
Langon, clothed in traditional Dunedain garb and covered in loose dirt and leaves, stealthily entered the main area of the inn and approached Potbelly.
"I have been on watch in the forest and so far there is nothing to report except some old tracks that died away quickly as if the thing that made them did not want to be followed. And if you don't mind, I would like a bowl of soup and tankard of ale please." nodding to Nori, "New guest?"
KeeperoftheHorses
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2007 03:18
Micla brought a carrot to the good pony Sir Frisky. She decided it might be best to try and distance herself from the comings and goings of the big important folk to and from the inn. She knew they were ill-at-ease about something and wondered if she would rather know what it was that made the people fret and worry about it as well, or remain ignorant and go about her merry way.

Micla watched Sir Firksy's fuzzy mouth move side-to-side as he chewed the carrot, then nuzzle her face with the hope that maybe somehow Micla might be hiding more carrots up her nose. She got to daydreaming and thinking about home, especially her cousin, Nina, feeling less angry at her for not joining Micla on her small journey.
"You know, Frisky," she said to her pony, "Maybe we'll start back home tomorrow. We've been gone long enough...I could just make a story to everyone and say we escaped from wolves and all sorts of scary things like that!"
Sir Frisky sneezed and it sounded like a retort.
"No they wouldn't believe me for a moment." She sighed.
Out of the corner of her eye Micla saw someone that heightened her spirits- another dwarf! She absolutely had to go meet him! Or, at least, she belived it was a "him".
Micla gave Sir Frisky a delightful pat and hurried inside the Inn. Now she could say she met two dwarves! She slowed her pace when she reached the doorway. The dwarf was sitting at the bar with one of the owners of the Inn. Casually, Micla walked over and clambered onto a stool right next to the dwarf.
"Hullo," she said, still trying to act as casual as possible. "I'm Mic-" What she saw made her stop with her mouth open. The dwarf wasn't a he, but a she! Micla stammered with her own embarrasment.
"I'm Ticla Mook- er- Micla Took...heh..."
"I can't believe I though 'she' was a 'he'..." Micla thought to her self, and grinned sheepishly.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2007 06:32
Nori, surprised at the sudden activity, looked quickly around to see a small, round hobbit child dancing in the door.
"I'm Ticla Mook- er- Micla Took...heh..."
Nori nodded, slightly amused at the girl. "And I am Nori. Pleased to meet you." She always had had a soft spot for the young ones...

Nori turned to face the ranger. He looked tough, like one who could be counted on in danger. Nori was impressed, which was saying alot, seeing as she usually did not care for humans. "Yes, I have recently returned from Bree. Thought this place might have something better than cram... I was right. The innkeeper here has some of the best ale this side of the Misty Mountains."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2008 11:26
A rabbit hurriedly chewed on some green leaves it had found under a bush. The small animal knew that only its speed could save its life from the multiple carnivores that inhabited the forest.

Not that it would help this time, Gudrith thought as he silently crept closer on all four. The rabbit suddenly froze, hearing the boy approach or perhaps smelling him. The green leaf in the animal's mouth stopped moving. The rabbit sat on its rear legs and looked around in fear, seeking for a danger... And froze, its large wet eyes meeting Gudrith's deep blue ones. The animal never made a move, locked in the boy's hypnotizing stare, until Gudrith crawled close enough to grab it. With a quick move and a quiet crack of the small animal's neck, everything was over. Hungry as a pack of wolves, Gudrith hastily climbed up a nearby tree and barely had seated himself on a branch when he dug his teeth in the still warm flesh. It had been years since he had tasted cooked food, and he didn't even remember the taste nor the smell of it. Using his orc-dagger to separate the rabbit's skin from the meat, the boy set to filling his empty stomach. However, his senses remained alert for any kind of attack.

Suddenly he narrowed his eyes as he saw something strange. There was a thin line of smoke rising from the woods. Was something burning? Gudrith had been forced to escape a wildfire once, and he still shivered at the memory. No, it resembled the kind of smoke the fires were making at the place he had once called home. And there was always somebody near that fire. And that meant...

Orcs.

Gudrith swallowed hard and wiped the blood of the rabbit from around his mouth. Wrapping the remaining meat in the soft skin, Gudrith put it in his bag for later, determined to head the way he had come the sooner the better.

Ant that was when his eyes fell on a lone wolf under his tree. The re was a wolf looking up, directly at him.
Wonderful, Gudrith thought, just what I needed.
He could have tried to hypnotize the wolf and make it let him go, as he had done with quite a few carnivores before, but Gudrith knew well that wolves never hunted alone. The others had to be around. He was trapped.

OOC: Hi there! I will be joining your merry bunch with my Gudrith, you may look him up in the DB. He may be a bit older, though, from the original char when I formed him. He'll be around for a couple of days, so whenever somebody meets him, do not feel obliged to meet him right away. Please do not try to bring him into the Inn at once, you could more probably just scare him off. Ithil, would it be all right if he noticed the orcs?
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email