Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Poll----New Book- starting July 30th - The Children of Hurin
on: June 30, 2007 03:47
Do we have enough interest to start a Book Club study of The Children of Hurin on July 30th?

[Edited on 2/7/2007 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 4/7/2007 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
I have, and have read, the book and am eagerly awaiting it as a book club selection
54% (2)
I have the book and will read it along with the Book Club
27% (1)
I don't have the book but will purchase it by August 1st, so I can participate
14% (5)
I'm waiting for the paperback.
5% (2)
I don't intend to purchase The Children of Hurin
0% (0)
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post RE: Poll----New Book- starting July 30th - The Children of Hurin
on: June 30, 2007 04:46
The Children of Hurin is my favorite of Tolkien's tales. I will definitely be participating.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2007 05:29
Me too. I'm willing to take part in this.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: June 30, 2007 08:22
Me too. Something to get our teeth into. My vote says I've read the book and I have read all the bits of the "Narn" many times, from Lost Tales, Lays of Beleriand, details from various Annals, and of course the Silmarillion. I have the book and have read the Introduction, which is excellent, but will read the rest afresh as we go through it. I'm really looking forward to this.
Arawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2007 09:10
I've really wanted to participate in the book club but I've never really found a book I wanted to join in with :blush: I've read Narn i Hîn Hurin in the UT, but I got the Children of Hurin as a present. I'm looking forward to it!
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2007 10:13
Love All things Tolkien, Love the Book & would love to participate in Book Club.

How do I join??

Can I participate in discussions & most importantly please can I be informed when book club is starting to discuss this work??

Will we be starting with the introduction??

Wonderful site - brought much enjoyment to my life . . .
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 30, 2007 07:02
We'll start the Book at the beginning of August, but I'll start posting some discussion topics from the introduction as soon as the The Hobbit's discussion forum is archived and a new forum is opened.
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 30, 2007 10:18
I'll be joining too, haven't read the book yet but I plan to do so by the end of the month. I just hope we can make this more interesting than the Hobbit book club.
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2007 11:15
I'll join in. This is my favourite tale as well, so it'll be interesting to participate.
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 09:18
I would love to participate, but it depends on whether one of the copies of the book is returned to the public library by then. I'll be going out of town tomorrow and I won't be back until the 15th, but as soon as the frenzied week after my return is past, I'll try to find a copy and let you know if I can participate or not.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 10:18
Just participate as and when, Michaela. There's no set commitment. Have a successful trip and we'll see you when you get back.
Findecáno_Aldaríon
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 04:52
I love The Children of Húrin! I join in also.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2007 05:54
I saw it in the shop a couple of weeks ago and grabbed it. And - what a coincidence! I will have that chance to actually read it together with a bunch of other people! I just can't believe my luck!
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Simensa
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2007 10:55
I plan on joining, I just need to get the book (which I'll do in plenty of time for August 1).

Frodo_Lives219
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2007 03:46
I'm interested in the book club, so i'll be reading the book. I still have to buy it, but I will defintely get it before July 30th. I've never read it before so I can't wait!
Griffin
Collector of all that is Shiny
Send Message
on: July 09, 2007 03:52
My copy of CoH is in the mail and should be here any day. Life got too busy to join in on the Hobbit, but I'm really going to try to join in for CoH
Frodo_Lives219
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2007 04:42
So I was very excited when I bought my copy of The Children of Hurin today. I sat in my car and read the inside flaps of the book, just to get an idea of what the book will be about. As I was reading the flap, I started to get confused already! There were so many names, I'm not sure who is good or bad, who is related to whom...I haven't even started reading the book, and I'm already confused! :dizzy:

Anyone have suggestions for how to keep track of all the characters?

Also, I tried to post a separate thread in the Book Club Forum, but it said I couldn't do it, so sorry if this is the wrong place for this type of question...I'm still a Newbie! :blush: :wave:

Namárië,
Laura aka Frodo_Lives219
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: July 09, 2007 11:20
Don't worry, FrodoLives, you'll soon get the hang of it. I think flaps are meant to confuse you enough to make you buy and read the book. My advice would be ...

Read Christopher Tolkien's Introduction chapter. It explains a lot of the background to the tale, ... look at the family trees which are toward the back of the book ... and the glossary of names and words, also at the back of the book.

When we start reading you can ask questions and other readers will answer them. That's what the Book Club is about.

Don't be nervous. We don't bite
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 10, 2007 05:23
Exactly! Many people have read LOTR and The Hobbit but haven't yet tackled The Silmarillion. or any other of Tolkien's First Age stories. The Children of Hurin is good, stand alone, story that can introduce them to the wonders and horror of the Elder Days. Cirdaneth is right in that it is very helpful to read the introduction, and to keep the map and family tres handy while you read.
If you come accross something that needs further explananation, you should feel free to start a thread about it. I'm sure that our membership will quickly come to your aid.
Arawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 02:51
The only thing that annoys me about my copy of CoH is that there is supposed to be a map in it and I can't seem to find it :dizzy: Other than that: I read the story in the Unfinished Tales. Is it the same as the book that's just come out?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 07:09
In both of my copies of CoH (HC and deluxe HC) the map is just inside the back cover and is folded over twice.
symphonyofarda
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2007 02:15
I just bought my copy a few days ago. It was the last one on the shelf! I have Unfinished Tales on my shelf as well and have read the version of Narn i Hin Hurin in there, but I do look forward to this supposedly more 'finished' version of that much-loved story.

oh, but btw...why has the title of the story been changed from Narn i HIN Hurin to Narn i CHIN Hurin? ..some grammatical error made in the first publication?
XKingElessarX
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2007 03:21
I am just about finished reading the book. I'll definitely be done in time to discuss it with all of you. I look forward to it.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2007 05:48
oh, but btw...why has the title of the story been changed from Narn i HIN Hurin to Narn i CHIN Hurin? ..some grammatical error made in the first publication?

Not actually a grammatical error. When Christopher Tolkien wrote 'Unfinished Tales', he was worried people would read the word "Chin" as in "Church" not as in the german word "bach", so he wrote directly "Hin"; against his wish.

So now, since it is a stand-alone book, he made it "Chin" as the word is actually how it was supposed to be written.
Griffin
Collector of all that is Shiny
Send Message
on: July 26, 2007 09:55
I was wondering about the "Chin" thing myself. That makes sense now. Thanks Ilandir
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email