Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter quote IIb The Battle of Unnunmbered Tears
on: August 23, 2007 12:10
The nobility of Men
The field of lost; but still Hurin and Huor and the remnant of the House of Hador stood firm with Turgon of Gondolin; and the hosts of Morgoth could not yet win the passes of Sirion. Then Hurin spoke to Turgon , saying ;' Go now, lord, while time is! For you are the last of the House of Fingolfin, and in you lives the last hope of the Eldar. While Gondolin stands Morgoth shall know fear in his heart.'

Would you consider this to be altruism? Or is it just a noble seeming waste of lives?
Lomelindi_of_Moonlight
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter quote IIb The Battle of Unnunmbered Tears
on: August 23, 2007 03:56
Would you consider this to be altruism? Or is it just a noble seeming waste of lives?

Well, in my opinion the whole battle was a gigantic waste of life, but by this point in the battle Hurin knew that Turgon was the only hope left for ME against Morgoth, and he had to buy him some time. He sacrificed what remained of his men, his brother, and himself because he had hope that by that it would come back for the greater good later. I'm sure Hurin would have liked to retreat with Turgon, but like I said he knew his last stand would give Turgon the time to get his elves out of there and back to Gondolin. There was great love b/w them and Turgon, so I know that this was a very easy, but at the same time very hard sacrifice to make.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter quote IIb The Battle of Unnunmbered Tears
on: August 24, 2007 06:45
I agree that Hurin knew that Turgon was the only hope left. Hurin also knew that it was very important for Gondolin to survive. "Then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men." Hurin was foresighted and knew that he had to do whatever it took, even sacrificing himself and his men, to ensure that Turgon get away.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email