Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter III; The Words of Hurin and Morgoth
on: August 27, 2007 01:39
1) Why did Morgoth order the Orcs to pile the bodies and gear of the enemies in a mound?

2) In what ways does Morgoth once again prove that he cannot be trusted.

3) Why does Morgoth feel a need to keep Hurin alive and to explain himself to him?

4)In the words between Hurin and Morgoth, who do consider as coming out on top, and why?
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter III; The Words of Hurin and Morgoth
on: August 31, 2007 08:39
1) Why did Morgoth order the Orcs to pile the bodies and gear of the enemies in a mound?
I think Morgoth ordered the mound as an insult to the elves and men and to show how powerful he is. Also as a reminder to anyone that ever thinks of rising up against him again. They will see the mound, remember how many were lost and never dare to go against Morgoth again.

2) In what ways does Morgoth once again prove that he cannot be trusted.
He didn't give the Easterlings any of the rewards he promised but instead shut them in a land they were never allowed to leave.

3) Why does Morgoth feel a need to keep Hurin alive and to explain himself to him?
He wants to keep Hurin alive in hopes that sooner or later he will break and tell him where Gondolin is. He explains himself to Hurin trying to prove to that he is in control of Middle-Earth and that no matter what Hurin does he will win. He is trying to break Hurin's hope.

4)In the words between Hurin and Morgoth, who do consider as coming out on top, and why?
I consider Hurin coming out on top. Although he is bound in that spot and must watch through crooked eyes the doom of his family, Gondolin and is still safe and he is still alive. Morgoth knows that Hurin is right about him and that he will never be the King of Arda as he thinks he is. Morgoth didn't get the info out of Hurin and couldn't break him, it had to have been a blow to his pride to not get what he wanted.

Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter III; The Words of Hurin and Morgoth
on: January 02, 2008 06:21
I think Morgoth ordered the mound as an insult to the elves and men and to show how powerful he is. Also as a reminder to anyone that ever thinks of rising up against him again. They will see the mound, remember how many were lost and never dare to go against Morgoth again.

I think this is what he intended, however: "But grass came there and grew again long and green upon that hill alone in all the desert; and no servant of Morgoth thereafter trod upon the Earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust." It grew green, kind of a symbol of hope and also of the strong will and hearts of elves and men. I think this is kind of a theme of the chapter, because time and again when Morgoth tries to intimidate Hurin and bend him to his will, Hurin stays steadfast and doesn't falter, or betray Turgon, and I think this ends up stirring up fear in Melkor.

And as a side note, for any Blind Guardian fans, "The Steadfast" from the album Nightfall in Middle Earth is about this part! (from the Silmarillion originally)

I hope nobody minds me posting here and bumping the thread, but I just got the book for Christmas so I missed out on the earlier discussion but would like to post some of my thoughts on past chapters.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email