Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter IV; The Departure of Turin
on: September 03, 2007 01:09
1) why is the year in which Turin departs referred to as 'The Year of Lamentation'?

2)Are there any good reasons for Morwen to refuse the offer of sanctuary in Doriath?

3)why did Turin and his companions get lost when they first entered Doriath ?
Almerúvë
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter IV; The Departure of Turin
on: September 03, 2007 06:08
I think Morwen should have gone with Turin to Doriath. One can be proud, but if being a bit less proud can save your life, I would do that. Off course she couldn't travel while being pregnant, but she could go after the brith of Nienor if she was a bit stronger again. She should have gone, then the intire family would have been spared a lot of pain. But maybe Morgoth would find other ways to ruin their lives...
cirithungol
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2007 02:36
i never could stand Morwen and her stubborness...she's much too proud. I think she should have gone to Doriath as soon as she and her daughter were fit to. I do feel for her though at the depature of Turin, when she digs her nails in the wood it brings such a vivid image in my mind.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: September 06, 2007 04:17
1) why is the year in which Turin departs referred to as 'The Year of Lamentation'?
Because it was the year of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad and many of the elves and men lost their lives and any hope of ever defeating Morgoth.

2)Are there any good reasons for Morwen to refuse the offer of sanctuary in Doriath?

The only good reason I could think was that she truly believed and hoped that Hurin would return. But mostly here choice not to go was out of pride. Shed didn't want to "lower" herself to have to take aid from anyone.

3)why did Turin and his companions get lost when they first entered Doriath ?

Because of the Girdle of Melian, a protective power that would make anyone who wondered in uninvited get confused and lost so that they couldn't find Thingol's realm.

JaimeLouise
CoE Volunteer & Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: September 08, 2007 07:44
1) Why is the year in which Turin departs referred to as 'The Year of Lamentation'?

It was a year full of sorrow, because of the battle. Many Elves and Men never returned home after it was over, which is what caused the lamentations.

2) Are there any good reasons for Morwen to refuse the offer of sanctuary in Doriath?

In my opinion, no. I think her only reason for staying behind was pride.

3) Why did Turin and his companions get lost when they first entered Doriath ?

The Girdle of Melian caused everyone to lose their way once they entered the woods, unless they knew where to go.

(I'm new in here. I just got the book for my birthday, so I'll be joining in now. )

Visit my website & Etsy shop! ~ Ephesians 4:29 ~
Lomelindi_of_Moonlight
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2007 03:38
I'm going to be cheap and just leave my thoughts on #2:

Good reasons? No. Good intention? Perhaps.

It seems to me that she only could give one specific reason to stay longer and that was it would be a risk to cart her newborn child through the wilderness--but I believe that she could have made it being guided by the elves. So she was trying to think practically, but was really only using the situation as a smoke screen for her pride in the house of Hurin. It wasn't like she could afford to stay there, she was quickly coming into poverty, lost all the lands her husband had claimed, couldn't protect the people in any way (she couldn't even go into the forest for wood b/c it was so unsafe), and she was in no way to pretend things were going to get better any time soon.

The only thing I believe that could make her that crazy to stay there would be her love and pride in Hurin and the desperate desire to see him coming home and routing their enemies. She believed he would come back and set things to rights, and they would be a family again--but I know that she thought the only way this would be accomplished is if she just waited out one more day after day--desperate to keep the house seat in his name as long as possible. So much pride, and it caused so many problems.
Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2008 08:10
This diverges a bit from the topics in the questions, but one thing I thought was interesting in this chapter was the talk about how the Easterlings feared the elves, and their fear from Morwen for her elf-like appearance. I don't remember ever hearing much about the Easterlings in the Silmarillion, but then again it might just be my horrible memory.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email