Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
pv
Council Member
Send Message
Post 'Children of Hurin' in relation to other works of literature
on: September 05, 2007 04:11
When you read 'The Children of Hurin' does it remind you of anything else you've read?

To me, the book was reminiscent of Thomas Hardy's work - Turin's constant ill luck is sort of similar to Thomas Hardy's "immanent will."

Tolkien was a religious man, so it's surprising to hear him of all people express the idea that someone up there is constantly out to get you. But this is not the fist time he's expressed something like that. Feanor, in the Silmarillion, says that "if life with the Valar is like this, I think we'd all better get outta here" (or words to that effect!)
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: 'Children of Hurin' in relation to other works of literature
on: September 05, 2007 11:54
I haven't read it yet, but I'm thinking that Children of Hurin is gonna go on my Christmas List.
Lomelindi_of_Moonlight
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2007 06:28
Oh my goodness, Hamlet and Oedipus Rex just popped in my head when I read that....so yes, those two definately remind me of Children of Hurin, so sad! :sob:

Seriously, they are some of the classic tragic epics, and that theme is very much apart of this tale!
Elras
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2007 09:13
Tolkien was a religious man, so it's surprising to hear him of all people express the idea that someone up there is constantly out to get you. But this is not the fist time he's expressed something like that. Feanor, in the Silmarillion, says that "if life with the Valar is like this, I think we'd all better get outta here" (or words to that effect!)

Keep in mind that Turin's curse came from Morgoth, an original Vala perhaps, but not exactly someone I would classify as "someone up there".

And cursed by Morgoth or not, Turin's ill-fated life was caused as much because of pride, arrogance, and bad choices as because of a curse.

The Children of Hurin is Tolkien's most "mythological" tale...in fact it contains bits and pieces of many different myths and stories, most notably the epic of Kullervo in the Finnish Kalevala, and it contains themes that run through many of the most well-known tales of Western culture.

http://www.tolkien-online.com

[Edited on 6/9/2007 by Elras]

[Edited on 6/9/2007 by Elras]
Lomelindi_of_Moonlight
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2007 04:15
yes, I agree that Tolkien was definately influenced by mythology and the like for this tale--however indirectly. Just like Dante's Inferno was with the Odyssey. Tolkien uses a TON of archetypes in his works; they're practically exploding with themes relating to Western literature.
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2007 12:12
Oh my goodness, Hamlet and Oedipus Rex just popped in my head when I read that....so yes, those two definately remind me of Children of Hurin, so sad! :sob:

Seriously, they are some of the classic tragic epics, and that theme is very much apart of this tale!

I agree - it was such a tragic tale, and it had a sort of Shakespearean air about it. There's a part of me that would love to see it performed onstage.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2007 01:56
Hamlet and Oedipus Rex just popped in my head

There are many who see Turin as a tragic hero. According to Aristotle's Poetics, a tragic hero is perfect person who makes a fatal error of judgement of some kind. ( Hamartia )

Would you say that Turin fits this description?

[Edited on 21/9/2007 by pv]
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2007 04:37
A bit of vague rambling on Aristotle's theory...

I'm told that Aristotle said that a tragic hero ought to be a perfect person because he thought that would create sympathy for the tragic hero. The reader/viewer is supposed to think, "He's a good person, so I sympathise with him."

But nowadays, we get put off by perfect characters, and tend to sympathise more with imperfect, struggling human beings. (In Harry Potter, for instance, look at the popularity of the character Severus Snape ) In Tolkien's work, characters like Turin and Feanor can be pretty off-putting sometimes, but I suspect that the author intends us to sympathise with them. Do you think Tolkien succeeds in creating sympathy for his not-so-good heroes? If so, how does he do this?

[Edited on 21/9/2007 by pv]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email