Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter quote IVa The Departure of Turin
on: September 10, 2007 01:41
Sador , when asked not to destroy the chair he carved for Hurin, just in case Hurin returns
'False hopes are more dangerous than fears," said Sador, 'and they will not keep us warm this winter.' He fingered the carving on the chair and sighed. ' I wasted my time,' he said,'though the hours seemed pleasant. But all such things are short lived; and the joy in the making is their only true end, I guess. And now I might as well give you back your gift.'

Is he correct in his assessment?
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter quote IVa The Departure of Turin
on: September 11, 2007 05:29
Sador is a very wise man and knows that even though chair is beautiful the wood to keep them warm a little longer is more important. I don't believe he wasted his time in making it however. It gave him joy and something to feel useful doing and that was worth the time it took to do it even if the joy is short lived.
JaimeLouise
CoE Volunteer & Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: September 11, 2007 11:26
I think he's right in saying that it would be better to use the wood to keep them warm a little longer, but I don't think he's right in saying that it was a waste of time and the joy of making it was the only true end. He was making it as a gift for his master, which is in no way a waste of time, and I think that's more important that enjoying the work in itself.

Visit my website & Etsy shop! ~ Ephesians 4:29 ~
Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2008 08:18
I think I can understand his opinion that it was a waste of time. He wanted to make a gift for his master, but for what he knows Hurin might be dead and a nice chair seems pointless in the midst of all the war and grief. But I pity him, because he was just trying to do something nice even if it didn't amount to anything.

Also, i very much like the statement "false hopes are more dangerous than fears" and i think it is true not just for the book but for a lot of things in everyday life. (it rings true for me especially because of the recent break up i went through...)
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2008 12:38
The "false hopes are more dangerous than fears" line I don't think is true. When people have irrational fears sometimes they try to prevent them from happening, which leads to catastrophic consequences.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email